Fall TV: NBC Sets Premiere Dates, Including Summer Debuts and Late Start For Community

NBC Premiere Dates 2012NBC is the first broadcast network to detail its fall TV premiere plan, and, as expected, the Peacock is capitalizing on its potent Olympics platform and launching several new (Matthew Perry’s Go On, Justin Kirk’s Animal Practice) and returning (Grimm) series during the summer.

Additionally, Community‘s fourth season (its first on Fridays) won’t kick off until October.

As a reminder, here’s what’s on tap for midseason: Smash, new cycles of Celebrity Apprentice, Fashion Star, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers and The Biggest Loser; new comedies Save Me, 1600 Penn and Next Caller; and new dramas Do No Harm, Infamous and Hannibal.

All told, NBC’s game plan looks like this:

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8
Go On (following Olympics) [new series]

SUNDAY, AUGUST 12
Animal Practice (following Olympics closing ceremonies) [new series]

MONDAY, AUGUST 13
8 pm Stars Earn Stripes [new reality series]
10 pm Grimm (Season 2 premiere; originals also air the following three Mondays)

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
7:30 pm NFL Kickoff Special
8:30 pm Sunday Night Football (special night)

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
8:15 pm Sunday Night Football

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 10
8 pm The Voice (two hours)

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
9 pm Go On (regular time period debut)
9:30 pm The New Normal [new series]
10 pm Parenthood

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12
10 pm Guys With Kids (following finale of America’s Got Talent[new series]

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
9 pm Grimm (regular time period premiere)

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
10 pm Revolution [new series]

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
8:30 pm Up All Night
9 pm The Office
9:30 pm Parks and Recreation

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26
8 pm Animal Practice (regular time period debut)
8:30 pm Guys With Kids (regular time period debut)
9 pm Law & Order: SVU (two-hour premiere)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4
8 pm 30 Rock

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10
10 pm Chicago Fire [new series]

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19
8 pm Whitney
8:30 pm Community

NOT RETURNING: Are You There, Chelsea?, Awake, Bent, Best Friends Forever, Chuck, Free Agents, Harry’s Law, The Playboy Club, Prime Suspect and The Firm.

1. Why??????????? Why we have to wait so much time to see Community????? It’s the best show of this network!!!!!

2. Maggie says:

Why can’t we be happy just for once? It’s so hard being a Community fan.

• tripoli says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Realist says:

The fans of all the other shows that got cancled have no sympathy for you. Against all odds and logic your show got a fourth season. If that doesn’t make you happy then nothing will. Stop whining.

3. Renee says:

Little bit confused. Is Grimm showing new episodes on Mondays for a month and then switching back to it’s regular time? Or is it just reruns on Mondays and new season will be on Fridays?

• joed5122 says:

They’re just doing a sneak peek of the new season on that Monday in August. No other shows until it premiers in September in it’s normal Friday slot.

• Matt had posted five minutes ago saying it was a few episodes… o_O

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It is. Season 2 premiere followed by three more Monday originals, then moving to Fridays.

• Renee says:

Thanks for clarifying Matt. But I think it’s a stupid confusing move on NBC’s part. Bouncing a show between nights like that? Only for reruns IMO. Not a smart move unless they were going to leave it on Mondays.

• malarson2 says:

Boy did my boys heave big sighs of relief when I just told them that we don’t have to wait until September (or even October) for the new eps of Grimm. We LOVE that show!

4. SVClois says:

-Meh- just going to stick with NBC with Saving Hope.

5. tvislight says:

Only two series premiering in August? For some reason I expected them to roll out more shows much earlier.

6. aleksa says:

Is October even late anymore? It almost seems average.

7. TigerNightmare says:

What are they even showing on Fridays before the creative rape hour debuts?

8. Emily says:

well duh about Community . . NBC has proven that they don’t give a EFF about it . .. why oh why couldn’t it have gone to TBS also and have a Cougar Town/Community block party of laughs

9. Louise says:

Nothing on when SMASH starts again?

10. Pepper says:

Chuck….

• Chris says:

Yeah..It’s been 6 months and I’ve almost gotten the heartbreak that it got canceled. Its presence in the “not returning” section just bummed me out again a little.

11. xwiseguyx says:

Only shows I care about are Whitney and Parks and Rec.

• Philipp says:

I saw the season finale of Whitney because people said it was apparently so much better. Still didn’t think it was very funny… Idk why NBC seems to nearly coddle that show and treats Community like the ugly stepchild.

12. arial2 says:

Why would NBC put Grimm opposite Hawaii 5-0 AND Castle???? For me, that’s the only time slot that causes a conflict. Why are they trying to kill the series. Grimm will go down in flames opposite those two established shows. The person in charge of programming schedules must really hate that show.

• They won’t. Castle and Hawaii Five-0 will still be in hiatus in August. NBC is starting GRIMM a month earlier in the season, on the big Monday timeslot (which carries powerful shows) to get some more audience, which leads me to think, that with the summer reruns on Tuesdays AND this move to get Monday audience, they’re trying to get more fans to watch it on Fridays, the network actually LOVES the show! It was one of their earliest pick ups last year! :)

• Anonymous says:

If you read the whole article, you’ll see Grimm is only making a special premiere on Monday at 19 before Castle or H50 even debut, but it will go back to its regular Friday slot on September 14th.

• Matt just clarified that. It will be a few episodes like he posted. Personally, I think it’s a good move, airing the show earlier, getting the Monday fans while nothing else is airing and bringing them to Friday! NBC has been treating GRIMM with a lot of love. They won’t renew a show on a Friday unless they think it will hold audience there, so, that’s what they did. Golden Stars for NBC!

13. Jenny says:

What ever happened to the Jason Katims show County?

14. Leah says:

Ahh! Community, Parks, and 30 Rock are so far away!

15. tee says:

I don’t understand the anger of Community fans. Community received a shorter order of episodes. (at least for now). It is a known fact that series with shorter episode orders always start later. Chuck also didn’t start until October this year due to their short episode order.

16. arial2 says:

Oops, just saw that the Monday slot is a “one-time-only.” But don’t understand why they’d even try it there one time.

• AnnClau says:

Because this way, people watching tv on mondays, like me, might try it, because other monday shows won’t have started yet. Then we could like it and start watching it on fridays, as we don’t all usually watch tv on fridays. NBC is just trying to get people from a popular timeslot to watch tv on a less popular one, and on their channel, could just help the show.

17. soarin829 says:

Well, I’m still pretty bummed that Bent didn’t make it to season 2. Such a great show!

18. Mike says:

I understand the intention, but seeing this written out, it is kind of a mess.

19. Monroegirl says:

Ugh, are they trying to sink it, Foxstyle?

20. So, they’ll be showing NEW GRIMM EPISODES from August on? First on Mondays, then o Fridays, later on, which would put us at about episode 4 or 5 at the time of the switch? I thought they’d be showing episode 1 in August then the rest in September. It seems God loves us GRIMM fans <3

21. David says:

Revolution will be the only show in nbc i watch besides football, how the mighty have fallen

22. Chris says:

Moved to Fridays, A Short 13-Episode Order, Starting Late in October. Community seems to be going the path of Chuck =(

• Bob says:

Of course it is. They just fired the creator/showrunner. It’ll go downhill rather quickly and die a slow, painful death. There’s no hope for this one. Don’t expect a back-9 pickup.

23. DreamRose311 says:

It’s a little unclear, will all of the shows debuting in August run new episodes up until the time change? or just a single episode “sneak peek”? And how soon will they stop airing before the new timeslots? (For instance, would Grimm be new Monday the 10th? or will the last one before the slot change be the week before that…) I hope that wasn’t too confusing…

24. Larry says:

I think that starting the friday comedies late will give them chance to recieve heavier promotion, cause NBC is going to have enough problems trying un-confuse viewers with various timeslots and changes.

25. icywinter2 says:

Two hour season Premire for SVU, and it’s the 300th episode. WOW!!!

26. Ryan says:

Will Grimm be showing new episodes until May? Stretching out its 22 episode season from August to May sounds like we’ll have plenty of breaks this year. Could get annoying…

• They did a 24 episode season this year, maybe we’re up for another like that next year, that helps a bit. It’s two more weeks :) They did six weeks with no breaks up to mid May, so, there could be a little balancing, but won’t be too bad.

27. Kristina says:

I think this is a smart idea; I like a lot of NBC shows that are struggling. Hopefully this will get them some #s. Isn’t the CW doing something similar, holding most of their premiers till October?

28. Ryan says:

Showing Grimm could be good for people who watch Fringe. If they like it in August, then they’ll have Grimm to turn to when Fringe ends in December.

29. Britta Unfiltered says:

This will make it harder for Community to get picked up for the back 9.

30. RAGGEDT says:

I agree with the commenter that NBC seems real committed to Grimm. In addition to showing reruns of certain standout episodes (on Mondays, as it happens), they have the entire season on-demand to get people to catch up on it. Giving it a Monday headstart after (I believe) the last few episodes of America’s Got Talent is about the best support the network can give to a second-season show.

31. network hässlich says:

I think this Grimm thing is very weird but NBC is in a position (just behind telemundo some nights) where they need to try some new things both in their programming and scheduling.

32. Bill H says:

I don’t know why NBC is even broadcasting anything. ALL: of their shows are CRAP.You couldn’t pay me to watch any of them.

• by Comment says:

Go look in a mirror and ask yourself why you clicked on this story then.

If you come back with anything other than you’re a troll who thinks bad attention is the same as good attention you’re lying to yourself.

33. Peggy says:

Bill, try Parenthood. It’s the best show on the air even if it is NBC. Glad Jason Ritter will be back since his show wasn’t picked up.

34. Jack Bauer says:

Can’t wait for the September 17th debut of J.J. Abrams’ Revolution and the October 10th debut of Chicago Fire. Also looking forward to the season premieres of The Voice, Parenthood & Community (a la new showrunner).

• Bob says:

Everyone was looking forward to the debut of Alcatraz about a year ago. Look where that JJ Abrams fiasco landed.

35. austen says:

I don’t understand what they’re trying to do to Community.

• Bob says:

Let it die a slow death? Fired creator, moved to Friday night, only 13 episodes, on AFTER Whitney. Do the math.

36. smith says:

where is SMASH??

37. Jenny says:

What about the Biggest Loser?

38. Angela says:

October 19th, eh? Sigh. Waiting’s going to suck.

39. mirvin365 says:

I rushed to look at this when I saw the post…then I remembered I don’t watch anything on NBC. LOL Staying tuned for ABC & CBS though!

40. Julia says:

Not only does NBC move Community to Friday, but they have it follow Whitney! NBC wants Community to die, doesn’t it? Why, NBC, why?!

41. James says:

two things. one i really hate that early permeire crap, honestly I’m not that interested in the shows so it could of been worse, but two air a pilot a month prior is just idiotic people loose interest and don’t have a chance to get into a show, if they don’t have a couple episodes back to back, in my opinon. Two, why in the name of all things holly do you have to remind me chuck isn’t returning, i happen to be rewatching it now and i have to say it really gets my blood boiling that they shafted that show it was still on the top of its game, and with the exception of Fringe was the best thing on TV, no offense to castle which I love. NBC really dropped the ball their.

42. Sam says:

I can’t wait for REVOLUTION !!!!!!

43. Donna says:

So, I don’t always pay attention to which show is on which network. I’m scrolling through this list of shows, looking for premiere dates of the ones I watch, and realized as I got to the end that now that Harry’s Law is gone, apparently I won’t be watching NBC anymore unless it’s football. Yikes, NBC.

• bob says:

I don’t watch football, but I do watch Community, 30 Rock, and Parks & Red. That’s it for NBC, and when those shows are done, I suspect NBC will be, also. Oh, wait, I think they’re going to have Mockingbird Lane on NBC, which I definitely will watch. One out of (#of NBC shows) will be what I’m watching next year, I suspect.

• Bob says:

Well, Community and 30 Rock will be done after this season. Guessing they’ll keep Parks and Rec (they need SOMETHING on Thursdays) another season. Moderate hopes for Mockingbird Lane – let’s hope there’s not a writer’s strike again, since that’s what killed Pushing Daisies.

44. Line says:

where is SNL? do they announce that later?

45. tvdiva says:

I thought Grimm was coming back in August? Did the show’s season 2 premiere get pushed to September?

46. josh says:

I am done with new shows on NBC they are trying to make their best show fail… good luck with the rest of your future endeavors NBC, i won’t be watching.

47. Keerit says:

Oh my gosh, seriously NBC? Community is one of the best shows you guys have on, and this is what you’re doing to it?? Late Start? Fridays? After Whitney? No Dan Harmon? Who makes all these decisions because they might need to consider a different career, after making all these idiotic choices. My goodness. While Community may not be strong in numbers, it is consistent. Its following is ridiculously strong and the only reason it doesn’t have more viewers is because of NBC’s scheduling choices.

48. B says:

That Horrible Lower than Low Rated Community should have been Cancelled! total Trash!

• Pepper says:

And would that make you sleep better at night? Knowing that the show’s fans can’t watch it?
      You know you don’t have to watch it if you don’t like it, right?

• Bell says:

Why don’t you just go back to watching the Big Bang Theory. The other people with good taste will stick to watching Community

49. Lori Flavelle says:

Was SO looking forward to another season of Bent! What happened?? I thought it had the makings of a really good show! Seriously disappointed…

50. Mary says:

According to http://www.nbc.com/grimm/ Grimm starts on Friday, Sept.28th.