It's Official: Showtime Cancels Weeds, Season 8 Will Be Show's Last

Weeds CancelledWeeds is going up in smoke.

Showtime has pulled the plug on the long-running pot dramedy; the show’s upcoming eighth season will be its last.

“There were two shows, Weeds and Dexter, that really got Showtime taken seriously for cutting-edge original programming,” Showtime entertainment president David Nevins told EW.com, which broke the news. “How they get brought home is really important. In this case, both for the sake of the two women behind the show [series creator Jenji Kohan and leading lady Mary-Louise Parker] and an audience that’s really invested in the show. TV fans love nothing better to complain about how shows end and we really want to end this one the right way.”

Weeds’ farewell season premieres Sunday, July 1.

1. mawhi says:

It’s probably time, hope they get the ending they want!

• sour D says:

Me too sad to see the show has to leave hats off to the cast and creators and everyone that worked on that show…GOD BLESS WEED and the show……..

2. anthonynewhall says:

Didn’t we already know this?

3. Good. They should of stopped after season 4.

• John Berggren says:

Should have. Of all shows, I don’t think so. Seasons one through three certainly were the best, but they’ve done a good job of reinventing the show and keeping it fresh.

• Surely you jest, sir.

Show was trash after season 4. Senor Mexico should’ve never happened.

• grimmy99 says:

They should not have there is soo much that was left unsolved in season four they did need to make 8 I’ve only seen up to season four so ya

• Johnny Woods says:

The show was incredible touching thoughtful and true too real life only those who live in the real world can appreciate the impact the show made yes it was family because WE go thru and live the realities if this show,I’ll miss it the heck with those who won’t.

• Jillian says:

Yes they have done an excellent job with this series! I loved every minute of it! Come on! Look at it! It’s been a blast!!!!

• cameron says:

hell no they shouldnt have stopped after season four it was a great show

• jo fukoff says:

Why do you think they should HAVE….or should’ve stopped? No should of stopped.

…people…lol.

4. Meg says:

Not entirely surprising. At least everyone knows at the start of it.

5. Thank. God.

Now cancel The Big C.

6. Me says:

Sad but it’s time! I can ever get enough nancy!

7. EveatEden says:

I agree, love the show but its taken many a turn and is getting a little stagnant, time to wrap it up on a good note and give them time to really give it a send off!

8. Nina says:

It’s time, really. I love the show but it’s time to send it off on a high note. That being said, i will miss them.

9. salim123 says:

lets say its bittersweet, its the right time it ended.

10. jasie says:

Wish they could get Kimberly Perkins back for the final season. She was one of the best characters.

11. pianomanndave says:

I wouldn’t say it was canceled… many of the cast (Kirk, Nealon, and creator Kohan) have taken on other projects during the hiatus; this is as much a creative decision as it is a network decision.

12. ggny says:

Would you really say canceled? More like it is finally coming to a end

13. Greg says:

Should have ended season ago

Sidenote: What happened to the Big C, loved the first two seasons but I actually had to stop watching it this year, the direction it went is ridiculous.

14. John Berggren says:

I don’t know if i’d call it cancelled. I would say the final season has been announced.
    8 is GREAT, and much longer than I expected MLP or Showtime to go.

I do hope someone else is smart enough to cast MLP if she’s ready for another show. I love watching her no matter what she’s in. I still have never seen the movie “Proof” because of the insult to her.

15. Eliza says:

I have been a huge fan since the beginning. Weeds will go down as one of my favorite shows ever! Love the cast so much and will miss them together on my tv.

• sean says:

i deff agree , whoever truly watched every season and episode has grown with the cast. i really dont watch tv at all but this show grabbed me by the buds :D

16. Jon says:

This news makes me so happy. I mean, I’m going to be really sad come the finale, but I always love it when a show knows they’re going to end a head of time, so they can tie it up and make it worthwhile for the fans that have been here for 8 years.

That being said, “Canceled” is a term used when a show is taken off the air before its time, due to network reasons. The article above says that this was a creative decision as much as a network one, so shouldn’t it be “ending”?

• Chad says:

I’m curious where people get the idea that a canceled show is a show that’s “taken off the air before it’s time due to network reasons”. Where did that thought process come from? Did I miss that memo?

When i look up what cancel means online at the the merriam-webster dictionary wesite, it reads as follows:

a : to destroy the force, effectiveness, or validity of : annul
      b : to bring to nothingness : destroy
      c : to match in force or effect : offset
      d : to call off usually without expectation of conducting or performing at a later time

Nowhere in that definition does it say anything close to matching the definition of what others have declared it means. When a show is canceled, I think definition “b” sums it up nicely. To bring to nothingness. The show isn’t coming back, regardless of whether it’s because it’s ending before it’s time or because it was a creative decision. I fail to see the distinction when talking about a canceled show.

Having said that, I am a little disappointed the show is ending. After not having watched it since the first season due to not having Showtime, I only recently rediscovered it at the end of last season. I’m still in the process of catching up on the show and I’m looking forward to the new (and final) season. It’s amazing to see how much the younger actors have matured, especially the two sons.

• Ulgatha says:

Well Chad, the dictionary doesn’t contain the meaning of words as they pertain to television. Look on Wikipedia or any other site of you will, look at two different television series: the one that is canceled before its time is listed as CANCELED, the one that is brought full circle and ends with the completion of a story is listed as ENDED. Entertainment Weekly got it right in there article of Showyomss decision to end weeds.

• Meg says:

On this particular web site they usually refer to shows going Into an announced final season as cancelled. If you can find their renewal scorecard Desperate Housewives and OTH were both listed as cancelled, even though boyh had a planned final season.

• Chad says:

Apparently I’m not the only one who agrees with the definition of what canceled means. The New York Times (as did many other reputable news organizations) used the term “canceled” in this instance as well. ” ‘Weeds,’ Long-Running Showtime Comedy, Is Canceled”. Don’t take my word for it. Just google it, like I did.

I’ll take the word of the dictionary (and the NYT) over Wikipedia. Anyone that uses Wikipedia as reliable source to get their information is doing themselves a disservice. And to say that the dictionary doesn’t contain the meaning of words as they pertain to television is somewhat baffling. As the definition I quoted above states, “to bring to nothingness” fits whether Wiki agrees with that definition or not. I fail to see how that definition does not apply to this situation.

• Dancer says:

Im sorry Chad, it seems your going out of your way to prove something that just isn’t the case here. I agree with Jon and Ulgatha- the show is ending, not canceled. When CSI: Miami finished its run, it was canceled, because it wasn’t given time to finish its round. When Weeds finishes, it will have ended, because everything would have played out as it should have. I can see where your coming from with your argument, but please just understand that in the world of TV, “Canceled” and “Ended” are two different things.

• Nando says:

You are a douche

17. Jared says:

I’m just happy they are giving it the chance to end properly! It’s only fair after 8 years. Like Nevins said, nothing is worse than networks canceling shows on a whim. So unfair!

18. Katie says:

Thank GOD. They should have pulled the plug years ago.

19. Brian Nord says:

This doesn’t sound like it was canceled. Please say how you define canceled? Can’t a series complete?

20. I’m glad this is the last season. I love the show, but once we started down the “cartel” road it got a little ridiculous. It went from a funny, loving show with drama to something very dark and just when it didn’t seem like they could pile anymore ridiculousness onto it, magically…more appeared. Like with Nip/Tuck…loved the show, but it needed to end, because after a certain point you tune in to see what happens because you’ve been a fan for so long, not because you actually like the direction the show is going in.

21. Laurel says:

Loved the show but it is time to say goodbye.

22. Melissa says:

I’m sad, but it’s probably for the best. I’m excited for the new season to start and see how they bring this story to a close.

23. asa says:

Eventhough Weeds is cancel. I have to make a point. Why does TVLINE call every show cancel even if the producers wanted to finish/end it. Show is not cancel if the producers themselves wanted to end it. TVLINE did same thing with House and Desperate Housewives, both the creators/producers wanted to end it.

• lilly says:

I wouldn’t say House producers wanted to end it. They wanted nine seasons and got eight. They didn’t decide to end it until they saw how bad the ratings were against full competition in the winter when they only had a hand full of episodes left to shoot. That was not a creative decision. DH made the decision before the final season started, so it was probably more of a producer driven decicion. Cherry was working on a new pilot that wound up not being picked up. He was ready to move on.

In the case of Weeds I’d be curious to know how much of the season has been filmed. Did the writers know it was the end before they started writing for this season? With Breaking Bad and Mad Men it’s been announced that they will have two more seasons and the creators are the ones who want it to end. If they had announced that this would be the finale season at the end of last season it would have looked more like a creative decision.

• Dancer says:

Many articles about this point out that this was a mutual decision between Showtime, Jenji Kohan, and Mary Louise Parker. So this is deinently something that is not rushed, like House was.

24. QuinnMallory says:

Weeds has evolved into a very different show. I read that this final season will see Nancy return to the suburb. Not sure how I feel about that.

25. Captain Awesome says:

As dissapointing and sad as that is at least the series will go out on a good note, Hopefully with a bang

26. Amaia says:

Not a surprise, I even thought it was going to end after season 7. I hope they have a good closure because “Weeds” deserves that even if it lost a lot of quality after season three it got better from season 5 on.

27. melody says:

im sooo sad!! weeds is the funniest,wittiest show on tv.i cant get enough of mlp and
    damian bechir.please change ur mind showtime !!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Lindsey says:

The first three seasons were great, but it’s gone downhill so much since that it’s barely recognizable. I’ve been hoping it’d be the last season pretty much every season since then. I stopped watching in the middle of last season. Maybe I’ll end up watching this season just to see how the show finally ends.

29. jr says:

Thank god this series is over. Ever since their house (Botwin’s) burned down the show has ruined the standard of the first few seasons. They shouldnt even do another season. Another example of how a story, when left to a test of time, can sharply fall from grace…

30. Bigjohnny44 says:

Sooo lame! Any show that is even remotely good, they cancel. Big hit for showtime, sad to see a great show come to an end. great cast and storys. What’s next they going to cancel dexter?! I will miss seeing mary louise parker naked every other episodes! I hope someone scoops her 4 a new show. She is smoking hot,gonna miss all the bad decision she makes. Weeds rip :(

31. Lazarus Long says:

What I don’t understand is why Mary Louise Parker was the lead actress,when Elizabeth Perkins not only continually acted circles around her,but is sexy enough to boot to be convincing as a woman all these men are attracted to. Parker is kind of plain,and a stick figure.

Perkins and the guys that played the Mexican thugs were the real stars of the show in my opinion. Nobody else even seemed to try.

• Lazarus Long says:

I agree. I started watching the show when Perkin’s started going nuts,and people like Guilermo (sp) were showing up. She and the Mexican thugs were putting on a acting clinic. MLP has great legs,but Perkins is hotter.

32. Rudy says:

sigh… what will i each now..?

33. Andrea Pallen says:

So far this season the episodes are so bad that its no wonder the show has been canceled. It looks like The three stooges gone mad. What was once the best show on tv is now the worst.

34. Chris says:

Weeds used to be one of the most creative, witty, and sexy shows on the air. Last season REALLY sucked. The season before that should have been the swan song. It should have gone out on a HIGH note. :\

35. one voice amongst millions says:

Y’all are retarded, who cares which definition you use, there will be no more Weeds period. Sad really but what can you do? Besides bitch about it and argue meaningless points on here lol….

36. Joiseyg says:

Not happy it’s ending but I’d rather Weeds end than Dexter. Dexter, nurse Jackie and the big C are my favs, hope they don’t cancel those!
    I’m surprised web therapy hasnt been cancelled, don’t like that one at all. Not a good role for Lisa Kudriw. Her voice is as annoying as Janice’s voice on Friends!

37. Nick says:

All good things come to an end. Nothing is for ever.. I will miss the show :-( loved Nancy

• nancylover says:

I fell in love with Nancy and they took her away from me.. and they didnt even hook up andy and nancy?????????!!!!!!

38. Mandaa says:

I will miss it… I sat down and watched season 1-8 Love that show almost made me cry when I heard it was the last season BUT it ended off in a good way !!

39. Martell Johnson says:

Love the series to death, I hope this final season kicks ass. I’ve missed the episodes thus far so Ill wait for it to hit Netflix. Sure am gonna miss Celia’s crazy ass though. She was the funniest character, and her daughter. Perfect cast, awesome show, glad it will end on a positive note.

40. Regina Felangie says:

don’t know why… ain’t no sun up in the sky… Weeds is over. Hope the network nazis
    run clean out of snacks just before developing perpetual, hopeless case of the munchies.
    F – - k em,’ if they can’t take a joke!

41. Fez says:

I gotta laugh @ all you ppl who have no life other than going to sites & ripping on stuff u don’t like. F’n trolls. Weeds is a great show 4 its target audience, stoners. If u don’t like it, then change the channel you fools! Also don’t bitch about how u didn’t like anything after season 3 or 4… becuz only an ignorant fool would sit thru tv shows they arent interested in JUST TO GO ONLINE AND CRY LIKE A BABY. Weeds Is a damn good show, & im glad to hear they planned this & it wasn’t forced. Good day…. I SAID GOOD DAY.

42. ricky says:

By far the best show, wish there were going to be more seasons

43. Buzzman says:

I luv this show I feel like they r my friends or even family I Could hang with them 4ever I will miss them no doubt u tv producers suck u don’t know a good thing when u have it at your fingertips. Peace pot and microdot

44. Vero says:

Noo don’t cancel weeds it my favorite show I watch it everyday :’(

45. giuseppe says:

Já terminou o seriado weeds,poderiam fazer o weeds II.Nunca deveria ter terminado tão cedo;com todo o esse sussesso.Sou fã numero 1.

46. ruby says:

I love weeds, one of the best shows ive seen.

47. ASHLEY says:

BRING WEEDS BACK.!!!! BEST FREAKING SHOW EVER.!!!! THIS IS LIKE THE ONLY SHOW MY FIANCE AND I WATCH TOGETHER.!!!! HOW CAN YOU END A SHOW WHEN STEVIE IS GOING TO BOARDING SCHOOL, SYLIS HAS A BABY, SHANE IS AN ALCOHOLIC, AND ANDY HAD A CHILD THAT WE THE VIEWERS NEVER GOT TO SEE….THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THEY COULD DO WITH THIS SHOW.!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK.!!!! IT NEVER GETS OLD.!!!!

48. April says:

Definitely going to miss the show i bought every season for those that stopped after season 3 missed.out on slot they should have at least made it to 10 seasons

49. Talldrinkawater says:

I watched season 8 episodes one after another the last few nights. It was sad to see it end..I feel like I’ve been addicted to these characters for so long!! I wasn’t thrilled with ending..hate Silas’ wife! Wish Nancy and Andy could have shacked up..I’m a romantic. But, I can see where writers and actors and producers and tv execs may have realized they reached the end of the story…they l