Scandal Scoop: Bellamy Young Upgraded to Series Regular for Season 2

Scandal Bellamy YoungScandal‘s First Lady is getting a promotion.

Bellamy Young, who plays FLOTUS Mellie Grant on the ABC drama, has been upgraded to a series regular ahead of Season 2, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Shonda Rhimes Weighs In on Scandal Season 1, the Finale’s Killer Reveal and Fitz’s Future

Young’s character is, of course, married to Tony Goldwyn’s President Fitzgerald Thomas Grant, who once (and almost again) an affair with Kerry Washington’s fixer, Olivia Pope. The promotion suggests that Mellie will be lurking around every corner ensuring that Olivia upholds her end of the season-ending bargain she made, and keeps her mitts off Fitz.

The news comes on the heels of several casting changes at the Shonda Rhimes-produced series. Henry Ian Cusack will not be returning for Season 2 while Joshua Malina has also been bumped up to series regular.

1. D says:

Please tell me that this means no more Beth on Criminal Minds! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

• Saint Alicia says:

MTE, I could jump for joy!
      Please let this be curtains for Beth… and then bring Prentiss back… and then since Hotch will be single… :D

• Jules says:

No no no! No H/P. I don’t understand why people think they belong together. They have next to no chemistry and barely any non–work related interaction. If Prentiss returns, she belongs with Morgan! Paget and Shemar have way more chemistry. IF I had to pick someone on the show for Hotch, and only if I had to, I can see him with JJ way more than Emily. I want Emily to return with some “mocha babies” as one of the writers recently stated. :-)

• Saint Alicia says:

Yes yes yes! People think they belong together because they do. Ever since Emily first appeared and shook Hotch’s hand their chemistry has been unstoppable. It’s only lately the writers have decided to jack up all the character interactions; the dynamics have been off since season 6 when they had to get rid of Prentiss and JJ.
          Likewise, Messer more recently stated that the finale was FOR the HOTCH/PRENTISS fans. Of course tptb/writers are pretty two-faced in general, but I’ll take that public declaration of fealty.
          Know which side your bread is buttered–Give us Hotch/Prentiss!

• Nora says:

Morgan and Emily don’t have no chemistry whatsoever. Emily is not interested in player like Morgan. Hotch and Emily, now they do have chemistry. Morgan is not interested in girls with guns and he won’t date women with guns. I don’t understand why people like Morgan with Emily or Reid with Emily. I don’t see no chmistry with them four.

• Ella says:

Yes! Yes YES! A thousand times yes to this comment.

• Pepper says:

It would be so nice to have at least one drama where co-workers *don’t* hook up.

• jules says:

Co-workers hook up in real life all of the time. It’s really not that far-fetched, although, as stated above, I was never a fan of H/P. The argument is pointless now anyway. Never gonna happen with Paget gone.

• Barbie says:

Please, tell me she WILL make some time to go as Beth on Criminal Minds. Hotch finally found a really nice girl who Jack likes. And, OhMyGosh, the BEST thing about CM is that they don’t have this intrateam relationship BS that ends up taking so much time from the show and adding up unnecessary drama, taking time away from the real focus of the show: the crime and the profiling. Garcia and Kevin were great — because their relationship was tertiary to the plot and took almost no time. Anything more than that would screw it up like they did to many shows. JJ is great in a relationship away from the team, as everyone else should be. Also, Prentiss and Hotch is like having my brother date my sister — the two are not blood related, but it seems just as wrong.

• Maly says:

Have you watched the finale? They’ve interteam relationships – Rossi and Strauss – so the rule is no longer valid. And everyone has his own view (which is always subjectiv/biased simple because of your beliefs – and this includes writers, actors, showrunners and viewers) If everyone would give the same amount of respect towards other opinions as to his – sigh the world would be much more peaceful.

• Birdie says:

Bellamy Young and Thomas Gibson had zero chemistry together. There were a lot of problems with Season 7 of Criminal Minds, but one of the most glaring was Beth because she made Hotch look so dull. I wish her luck on Scandal, but hopefully this means Beth is gone permanently from Criminal Minds!

• Dixie says:

Aside from the absence of chemistry between Bellamy Young and Thomas Gibson, I found her extremely dull and unattractive. Also, there is something about her I just don’t trust. Take a look back at all of her moves and pay close attention. ATTN: Erica Messer – Please don’t subject the CM fans to some cute and cuddly exit scene from Ms. Young. Pleeeease don’t leave the door open for guest appearances by this amateur. CM is not a romantic drama, and you’re playing games with a loyal fan base. CAREFUL!

• AnnClau says:

Her role on Criminal Minds is so small, I mean we really don’t see girlfriends/boyfriends that much, that it probably won’t be affected.

• Dixie says:

Wouldn’t that be wonderful? Whoever hired Bellamy Young for the role of Beth should go back to selling suits at Barney’s. Good Bye Beth and Good Riddance?

2. Megan says:

Is this show really good? I keep hearing a lot about it. Perhaps I will give it a whirl.

• kjess says:

YES!! Absolutely worth a shot. Give it 2 -3 episodes and you’ll be sucked in. It moves quick, like a cable show, and keeps things interesting.

• tvaddict says:

I have only watched the season finale but it sucked me in and I am definitely in for season 2

• Leah says:

Yes, it is great! After just a few episodes I am far more invested in Scandal, than I ever was in Grey’s or Private Practice, which I quit watching years ago.

3. Ana says:

Ok, so they get rid of the hunky Henry Ian Cusack because of the budget but they make her a regular?

• Greg says:

Getting rid of Henry Ian Cusack had nothing to do with the budget.

• Quang Tran says:

Keeping Young and canning Cusick obviously had little to do with the budgect. Her character was actually interesting, while the writers really struggled with giving his character anything to do besides being the slutty one. He’s better off waiting for a call from the guys from Fringe.

4. Jules says:

Hate the fact that HIC is gone. Loved him on LOST and Scandal. Hopefully Fringe has him back as recurring or regular in Season 5.

5. Juan says:

She was amazing in this season. and even though I hated (love/hate) her but she was so fun to watch, wanna see much more of her. And stop winning about the guy, he was not a big part of the story and didn’t add much. Now he can be in a role more fit for him

6. Ram510 says:

YES!!!!! She was GREAT in the show one of best characters on the show. She really played he part well in each and every scene. I can not wait for Scandal!

7. stefanjames says:

Why bother with all these changes? The show’s gonna get canned by Christmas anyway…

8. Aile says:

I’m happy for Bellamy but I really hope to see Beth again.
    I love Beth and the Hotch/Beth relationship.

9. sladewilson says:

YES!!!! I was hoping for this…

10. Tammy says:

So happy to see Bellamy upgraded to a series regular…I love Mellie’s character..she is one fo the most interesting characters on the show.

11. Rebecca Hollingsworth says:

the aspect of scandal i least enjoy is the infidelity . . . i had expected better of shonda rimes

12. Christy says:

The best thing that can happen to Hitch is that he finds someone beside Beth. Anyone that can’t see that she is up to something is blind. The writers have thrown out one clue after another. Go back and watch the episodes she is in and watch her closely and EVERYTHING she says, and the way she says it, to Hotch. Then you will see it as many of us have. I just don’t want Hotch hurt. Why doesn’t everyone see how fast they had her to pounce in him and how fast he has dove in after Haley?? Thats not like him. She’s even clouding his profiling skills. It’s all planned :(