Scoop: Portia de Rossi Cast as Lily Munster in NBC's Mockingbird Lane

Portia de RossiPortia de Rossi is joining another dysfunctional family.

The Arrested Development actress has landed the role of Munster family matriarch Lily in NBC’s Mockingbird Lane, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Jerry O’Connell Talks Munsters Reboot

The role was originated by Yvonne De Carlo in classic ’60s version, The Munsters.

The project, which was originally slated to go into production in the spring but got pushed back until early summer due to casting issues, is being stewarded by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and X-Men auteur Bryan Singer. Whereas the original was a comedy, the remake is being billed by NBC as a “visually spectacular one hour drama.”

De Rossi — whose ABC pilot The Smart One was not picked up to series, freeing her to do Mockingbird Lane — joins previously cast Jerry O’Connell (as her hubby Herman Munster), Eddie Izzard (as Grandpa), Mason Cook (as Eddie) and Charity Wakefield (as Marilyn).

The actress is also poised to reprise her role as Arrested Development‘s materialistic Lindsay Fünke in Netflix’s revival of the beloved Fox comedy.

1. Che says:

What? Can she act?

2. Gus says:

Yes!!! I miss Portia! She was amazing on AD and Better Off Ted. Wasn’t really looking forward to this show, but now I’ll be sure to watch it.

• JustMy2Cents says:

I’m loving some of their casting choices – Portia and Eddie Izzard? I’m in to check this out.
      And P.S. Better Off Ted is one of the most underrated shows I can think of.

3. Mr. F says:

This is perfect casting, IMO. Totally balances out the wtf casting of O’Connell.

• Sammy says:

Exactly what I thought. I was not very keen to watch a series with Jerry O’Connell as the lead. But now Portia’s in it, Hell Yeah!

4. M80 says:

Happy for Portia, though I feel awful for Mariana Klaveno.

5. TV Gord says:

This is really starting to take shape! I love it! Don’t underestimate Jerry O’Connell, either. Portia will be great, and Eddie Izzard? Absolutely! More than anything, I can’t wait for the Singer-Fuller combination bringing this concept to life!

6. Mo says:

If we couldn’t have Kristen Chenowith in the role, this casting is very interesting!
    I know Fuller’s concept drawing had Lily in white instead of black, will Portia stay blonde or go brunette for the role?

• Jenn says:

Lily Munster always wore white, it was Mortisha Adams who wore black :)

• Sarah says:

Good call Jenn! It looks white but was actually pale pink. Mo, think more Bride of Frankenstein. The Bride would be in white and with a gray streak in her hair, like Lily.

7. kate says:

this cast is really good but I’ll be shocked if this show survives the fall. for whatever reason, I’m just not getting good vibes.

8. roxy says:

yo era fans de la serie original, era muy divertida, ojala se concrete y podamos verla aca en sudamerica

9. Madison says:

Oh my gosh!! This news is so great I think I just blue myself! As I read this, I find nothing wrong with what I said. But wait, is… Oh damn, what’s her name? Egg? Plant? blANNNNNNNNd? Is she coming back? Wait, what were we just talking about? I have no memory of it. Maebe it’s plain, like a Bluth Banana without nuts…

10. Wasn’t Mariana Klaveno being cast in this role?

11. Trent says:

I’m watching this because of Bryan Fuller, he gives everything he touches an amazing style

12. Ram510 says:

Wait this show is still happening? And Jerry O’Connell is in it? This already sounds cancelled. Jerry O’Connell is like Christian Slater, everything he touches gets cancelled.

13. Bobbie says:

So disappointed The Smart One didn’t get picked up. I like Portia but I have absolutly no desire to watch this show.

14. ddutchie88 says:

Yay Portia but OMG EDDIE IZZARD. Must watch.

15. mia says:

Fantastic news! Portia is so talented! The cast for this show just keeps getting more and more appealing

16. jasie says:

How is this going to affect her return to Arrested Development?

17. Mikael says:

She was great on Ally McBeal. I love how she was always whipping her hair around.

18. murley says:

with each peice of news released about this show I get more excited about it.

19. Danielle H says:

Hmmm I just don’t know. The casting has been weird so far. We’ll have to see. They are sure getting a ton of buzz though :)

20. bob says:

I’ll watch anything with Portia De Rossi in it. I’ll watch anything Bryan Fuller is involved with. Sounds like something good is coming

21. Angel says:

I love Portia so much, but if that nonsense about Mariana Klaveno it’s just the worst because she would’ve been wonderful and she deserves a really good break. Here’s hoping Portia rocks it and Mariana Klaveno gets something mind-blowingly awesome she couldn’t have otherwise.