Scoop: Portia de Rossi Cast as Lily Munster in NBC's Mockingbird Lane

Get More: Casting News

Portia de RossiPortia de Rossi is joining another dysfunctional family.

The Arrested Development actress has landed the role of Munster family matriarch Lily in NBC’s Mockingbird Lane, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Jerry O’Connell Talks Munsters Reboot

The role was originated by Yvonne De Carlo in classic ’60s version, The Munsters.

The project, which was originally slated to go into production in the spring but got pushed back until early summer due to casting issues, is being stewarded by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and X-Men auteur Bryan Singer. Whereas the original was a comedy, the remake is being billed by NBC as a “visually spectacular one hour drama.”

De Rossi — whose ABC pilot The Smart One was not picked up to series, freeing her to do Mockingbird Lane — joins previously cast Jerry O’Connell (as her hubby Herman Munster), Eddie Izzard (as Grandpa), Mason Cook (as Eddie) and Charity Wakefield (as Marilyn).

The actress is also poised to reprise her role as Arrested Development‘s materialistic Lindsay Fünke in Netflix’s revival of the beloved Fox comedy.

Comments (35)

• What? Can she act?

Comment by Che – June 12, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better Off Ted. Arrested Development. She is very good.

Comment by Tori – June 12, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She really doesn’t have to work with Ellen as her sugar Mama IM JUST SAYING (cue Herman Munster laugh and foot stomp)

Comment by kanni bassativa – June 28, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lets not forget her excellent work on Ally Mcbeal as well

Comment by Jss0058 – June 12, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here, here!

Comment by Jarrod – June 13, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uh yeah shes amazing. Amazing actress, beautiful woman, kind hearted person. Shes got it all. From Ally McBeal, to Better Off Ted, to Arrested Development. Yeah she deserves this. I miss seeing her on TV.

Comment by Megan Muyo – June 29, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! I miss Portia! She was amazing on AD and Better Off Ted. Wasn’t really looking forward to this show, but now I’ll be sure to watch it.

Comment by Gus – June 12, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m loving some of their casting choices – Portia and Eddie Izzard? I’m in to check this out.
      And P.S. Better Off Ted is one of the most underrated shows I can think of.

Comment by JustMy2Cents – June 13, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is perfect casting, IMO. Totally balances out the wtf casting of O’Connell.

Comment by Mr. F – June 12, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought. I was not very keen to watch a series with Jerry O’Connell as the lead. But now Portia’s in it, Hell Yeah!

Comment by Sammy – June 13, 2012 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Portia, though I feel awful for Mariana Klaveno.

Comment by M80 – June 12, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really starting to take shape! I love it! Don’t underestimate Jerry O’Connell, either. Portia will be great, and Eddie Izzard? Absolutely! More than anything, I can’t wait for the Singer-Fuller combination bringing this concept to life!

Comment by TV Gord – June 12, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we couldn’t have Kristen Chenowith in the role, this casting is very interesting!
    I know Fuller’s concept drawing had Lily in white instead of black, will Portia stay blonde or go brunette for the role?

Comment by Mo – June 12, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lily Munster always wore white, it was Mortisha Adams who wore black :)

Comment by Jenn – June 12, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good call Jenn! It looks white but was actually pale pink. Mo, think more Bride of Frankenstein. The Bride would be in white and with a gray streak in her hair, like Lily.

Comment by Sarah – June 13, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this cast is really good but I’ll be shocked if this show survives the fall. for whatever reason, I’m just not getting good vibes.

Comment by kate – June 12, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yo era fans de la serie original, era muy divertida, ojala se concrete y podamos verla aca en sudamerica

Comment by roxy – June 12, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my gosh!! This news is so great I think I just blue myself! As I read this, I find nothing wrong with what I said. But wait, is… Oh damn, what’s her name? Egg? Plant? blANNNNNNNNd? Is she coming back? Wait, what were we just talking about? I have no memory of it. Maebe it’s plain, like a Bluth Banana without nuts…

Comment by Madison – June 12, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Mariana Klaveno being cast in this role?

Comment by MDS (@musicisthedoor) – June 12, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC decided to be jerks by not releasing Mariana from her Devious Maids contract, despite Mariana only having a few lines in the pilot and the uncertainty of DM ever airing.

Comment by Quang Tran – June 12, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching this because of Bryan Fuller, he gives everything he touches an amazing style

Comment by Trent – June 12, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. Fuller is one of my all time favorite showrunners!

Comment by Michelle – June 12, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait this show is still happening? And Jerry O’Connell is in it? This already sounds cancelled. Jerry O’Connell is like Christian Slater, everything he touches gets cancelled.

Comment by Ram510 – June 12, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed The Smart One didn’t get picked up. I like Portia but I have absolutly no desire to watch this show.

Comment by Bobbie – June 13, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Portia but OMG EDDIE IZZARD. Must watch.

Comment by ddutchie88 – June 13, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news! Portia is so talented! The cast for this show just keeps getting more and more appealing

Comment by mia – June 13, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is this going to affect her return to Arrested Development?

Comment by jasie – June 13, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was great on Ally McBeal. I love how she was always whipping her hair around.

Comment by Mikael – June 13, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was all John Cage’s fault (: hahahaha

Comment by Megan Muyo – June 29, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • with each peice of news released about this show I get more excited about it.

Comment by murley – June 13, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm I just don’t know. The casting has been weird so far. We’ll have to see. They are sure getting a ton of buzz though :)

Comment by Danielle H – June 13, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch anything with Portia De Rossi in it. I’ll watch anything Bryan Fuller is involved with. Sounds like something good is coming

Comment by bob – June 13, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Portia so much, but if that nonsense about Mariana Klaveno it’s just the worst because she would’ve been wonderful and she deserves a really good break. Here’s hoping Portia rocks it and Mariana Klaveno gets something mind-blowingly awesome she couldn’t have otherwise.

Comment by Angel – June 13, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that nonsense IS TRUE. I really should learn how to complete sentences sometime maybe.

Comment by Angel – June 13, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post