Kate Walsh Confirms: 'This Is My Last Season of Private Practice' -- Watch Video

Kate Walsh Leaves Private PracticeThe doctor is indeed out.

Kate Walsh has confirmed buzz that made rounds late last month, saying that her days as Private Practice‘s Dr. Addison Montgomery are officially numbered.

“This is my last season of Private Practice,” the actress shared Tuesday on the new daytime talker Bethenny, alluding to Season 6.

“It’s been an incredible journey and an amazing ride … and I feel incredibly grateful to [series creator] Shonda Rhimes and all the fans that have been there from day one ’til now,” she added.

Watch Walsh’s announcement here, at the 1:00 mark:

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Ponders a Private Practice Time Jump to Acccomodate [Spoiler]‘s Exit

In mid-May, Private Practice earned an 11th hour-ish pick-up for the fall, where it will continue to air Tuesdays at 10 pm, for at least — but perhaps no more than — the final 13 episodes on Walsh’s contract.

“I’m really excited about the last season. I am,” she said on Bethenny. “It’s bittersweet… a huge chapter of my life,” dating back to Addison’s May 2005 introduction and subsequent run on Grey’s Anatomy.

RELATED | Private Practice Season 6 Shake-Up: Tim Daly Out!

Though ABC renewed PPP for just 13 episodes, network president Paul Lee told me at the Upfronts that it’s not necessarily the show’s swan song. Similarly, Rhimes told TV Guide Magazine, “I have been told that I’m not allowed to think of us only doing 13 episodes.”

So, again we must ask…

1. George says:

I think this is a little ridiculous that ABC/Shonda Rhimes isn’t just coming out and “officially” announcing this is the last season of show at this point.

Between the reduced episode commitment, getting rid of Tim Daly, and now Kate Walsh announcing this is it for her, the show would really be grasping for straws.

2. Gus says:

Thank god!!! Love Kate, don’t like the show. I only watch it because of her, KaDee Strickland and Caterina Scorsone. Now I hope we see these amazing, underappreciated actress somewhere else soon after PP ends.

• I truly think KaDee and Caterina’s Chalotte and Amelia have outshined Kate’s Addison so much, I wouldn’t miss Addison. I really like Violet, too. I would do without Addison. I wouldn’t care. Addison HAS become repetitive and less fierce, in her life and in her cases. As long as they keep Charlotte, Amelia, Vi, and Cooper, Private Practice is totally game for me, one of my favorite shows, that makes me cry every week.

3. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    Knew this was coming. With this departure as well as Tim Daly’s, it looks like Private Practice’s days are numbered and the upcoming season starting this fall will more than likely be the last one.

4. Jamie says:

Thank you Kate for an amazing 8 years. Addison is the only TV character I have ever loved. I will happily look forward to your other projects since you are so much more than PP, GA, and Shondaland.
    With Kate’s exit, I will be free from Shondaland.

5. Sam says:

Great news. So now we won’t have her coming on Grey’s like the ghost from the past anymore.

6. maltru says:

I don’t watch it even WITH Kate Walsh. I don’t think she needs to be making this announcement; I doubt there’s going to be another season for her to be on even if she wanted!

7. Josh says:

Why continue the show without Addison?

• Two words: Charlotte and Amelia.

• jyc says:

right! private practice i think was created to continue the story of Dr.Addison who divorced his husband Dr.Sheppard. Now that she’s leaving the tv drama, what’s the point of continuing the show. other else’s character for me were like “extra” or just supporting role to make PP a “story”. it will be like “extras” running the show. lol!

8. I will miss Addie. I think Kate knows the show is dead. This way Addie will get closure. This will be the last season. I won’t watch without Kate Walsh.

9. Charlotte says:

I like Kate, do not like Addison. I find nothing about that character even remotely likable or redeeming. The only good character on the show is Charlotte, so I probably won’t even watch this season, let alone any after it. It’s become unbearable.

10. Dakota says:

Addison is the only character I like on Private Practice! No way will I watch without her! I love you Kate Walsh. She is amazing!

11. Tran says:

Hope the upcoming season of Private Practice could end up being its last if its decided by Paul Lee despite Kate Walsh’s departure after the season or series is over.

12. J says:

Private Practice was created for Addison. It’s Addison’s show, her journey. Without Addison I see no reason for the show to go on.

13. Jennie says:

I’m really proud of Kate Walsh. It’s time on this ride for Dr Montgomery and a smart choice for her career-wise to exit. She is such a fantastic actress and great comedian as well, that I’m excited to watch her try something new. I wish her luck and it’s nice she will officially let us give Addison a proper goodbye. In her SL, Addison got what she wanted; a baby (Henry). I will support in her new projects.

14. Dakota says:

Kate rocks! I love her so much! I couldn’t stand PP without her! She is the show!!! So long Private Practice!

15. martina says:

Can’t she go back to Grey’s Anatomy? The show could really use her acting skills to be saved.

• Jennie says:

She would not be going back as the lead on Grey’s as she currently is on Practice. She’d be a co-star which is fine, but a step down which I think isn’t really a smart thing to do at all. She’d go from Addison being the lead of her own show, backward, and KW knows it. It sounds like in this interview, she is done with Addison. I think letting go of that character is completely the right move in her career and it sounds like she’s letting Addison go altogether. I don’t want to see Addison go into the background again which she would on GA as she did in S3. I want to see what she can do beyond this character now.

• A says:

Thank you. Exactly this.

Looking forward to Kate’s upcoming work after Private Practice. Woman’s got major chops.

16. greysfan says:

Ok this is crazy. She announces this is her last season yet ABC wont come out and say this is it. Come on ABC this show can’t go on without her.

17. Annabelle says:

Good girl. Private Practice is a crappy show. She is way too talented for it. I watched for her, but definitely won’t watch for the others.

18. Babygate says:

It’s hard to tell. I don’t really like every character. I watch because of Addison, Amelia and Charcoop. If they give more prominence to Charlotte and Cooper, I will tune in. But if they keep the every whining Violet and if they put Sheldon and Amelia together (double yuk!) I will not be able to watch. Bottomline, I will give it a shot but they are going to have to hit it out of the park with the writing. And they should definitely change locations because the current place is too associated with Addison.

19. Lisa says:

Just put the show out of its misery, even the LEAD actress wants out of it!

20. Kayla says:

The show won’t survive Walsh’s exit. I can’t imagine PP without Addison. Addison even owns the practice.

21. courteney says:

:( :( :( heartbroken! no show without kate!

22. Dominique says:

Am I really the only one who thinks this is incredibly disrespectful and selfish towards the rest of the cast? Kate knows the show won’t go on without her, so even if ABC planned on maybe giving PPP another season after the next one.. they’re not gonna do it without Kate, So it basically forces the hsow to stop and putting everyone out of a job. Real nice.

• A says:

So you’re basically saying, as confirmed by polls, that Kate is the one who carries the show?
      Newsflash, she doesn’t have an obligation to “everyone’s jobs”. All are grown adults. The talented ones can find work anywhere, and considering the quality (or the lack thereof) of Shondaland in the last few years, it’ll easily be work of higher calibre.
      The ones without actual skills? Well, it wouldn’t exactly be Kate’s fault if they end up without a job, now would it?

23. Dee says:

I think this is a good decision for Kate though will miss Addie. There is no way I will watch without Addie. ABC needs to call it quits.

24. Jake says:

They should just end it this season, whether its those ordered 13 episodes or a full 22 episodes, hopefully they dont try to make the show without Addison though.

and am i the only one that hopes if this is the last season of PP maybe Amelia could be made a series regular on Greys Anatomy!

• Ace says:

I like this suggestion. Private Practice can’t survive without its lead actress, and Amelia might be a decent match for Mark Sloan now that Lexie’s gone. (In fact, the addition of Caterina to the cast might make me reconsider my recent decision to stop watching GA.)

• Amelia is too deep of a character for Grey’s Anatomy. She doesn’t belong there. She’s a Private Practice character. They have more depth, more screen time, more life. She’s too good for SGMW.

25. Brian says:

So will Kate be willing to make some guest appearances on Grey’s because Addison is such a great character and I really want to see her working with the people at Seattle

• Amy says:

If you listen to the interview, Walsh says she’s played Addison for 8 seasons-that’s GA/PPP combined, and she is going to say good bye now. Kate’s letting the character go completely. And if she chooses to do some other show like a comedy/sitcom which she says she wants to do, she won’t return for Addison. In particular if her next project is on another network or not involving Shondaland. It was a nice run, but Kate’s letting Addison go after this season on both show’s, and I wish her good luck in her future. She’s so much more than Addison anyway.

26. Megan says:

Sad by this news. Addison is amazing. I will miss her kicking a** in the OR.
    No more Private Practice in my house

27. ted says:

Guess what if the ratings are there it will continue — if not, it won’t. It’s as simple as that. That is why no one can tell you the answer that it will be the only 13 or a full season.

28. Fan says:

Addison don’t make the show for me.. I like Charlotte better. So I will watch with or without her.

29. Laura says:

Uh she is the Star. She can’t leave. There will be no show! Certainly wouldn’t watch!

30. N says:

I would watch for Char!

31. Denise says:

Addy is the best thing about PPP. Not going to watch without her.
    Kate is amazing. I am sure she will do great without this show.

32. Ryan says:

Watched in seasons 1-3 then fell away. I don’t know. Too bad Daly left. If it was for budget, that’s lame now that Walsh is on her way out. Maybe they should bring him back when she leaves

33. Dizzle says:

I would watch the show without Addison… But I don’t think there’s any point continuing without her. Some of the supporting cast are fantastic but the show is built around Kate Walsh. Without her, there’s no reasonable point in Amelia, Sam or Jake sticking around. Let the show leave with it’s leading lady.

34. Natalie says:

I have watched PP from day one. I am sad that this will most likely be the last year of it, but I am hopeful that they will bring Amelia to Grey’s. With Lexie’s death, Mark and Meredith have had huge losses. Amelia could potentially be a good Match for Mark, and Meredith could get to know her sister in law. C’mon Shonda, call it a day with PP and make it happen!

• Alliah says:

Yeah, if she wanna get stone.I love Amelia but not in there. Don’t get me wrong, I love GA but with Lexie’s death, the fans must be freaking defensive and sensitive regarding replacing her either as Mark lover or Mer sister. Plus, I watch both show and it’s funny that Derek was all so protective and going all big brotherly with Lexie yet with Amelia(and all his blood sisters) he kinda have this awkward vibe around them. I don’t know, I think it probably cos the cast was already get along longer or something.

35. Jack says:

Can you have her talk Sandra Oh into jumping ship at Grey’s Anatomy? Both Grey’s and PPP need to flatline, STAT.

36. Chelsea says:

The show without Kate Walsh? Are you kidding me? No way, no how, no thanks! I leave with Addie/Kate.
    Good for you Kate for getting out!

37. Brea says:

Omg no. Addison is my love. I won’t watch PP.

38. Andrea says:

Bye PP. The show needs to end with Addie. It started because of her.

39. Mona says:

I like some of the other character, but not enough for me to watch it without Kate Walsh. She holds the show together. In the clip, Kate is so gorgeous!

40. Jessica says:

So sad and depressed! I love Addison Montgomery. No Addison mean no PP for me!

41. Jenny says:

I can’t deny the truth that Addison is basicly PP, like Meredith is the Grey of GA. But I vote for a ‘Yes’ to show my respect to the rest of the cast. I mean the storyline of PP can not go on without Addison, but the others would still make a great cast for another show. Still very sad though :(

42. Joanna says:

Tim and now KATE. My gosh, Season 6 is going to be the most depressing season. I say: No Private Practice without Kate! I mean really she makes the show.

43. A says:

I wish that she would consider guesting again on GA even if this is her last season of PP. The GA/PP world just doesn’t feel complete without a hint of Addison Montgomery

44. Lindsey says:

What is the point of continuing PP? The storylines are pretty much done. Wrap it up for a final 13 episode season! This is her show. It should really end with her. I wish Kate luck in the future.

45. Aly says:

I would watch it with Addie… I know she is the center around the show but I like charcoop better! So I would still watch it!

46. n/a says:

Why do people call it PPP?

47. KT says:

ABC only committed to 13 episodes. She’s not dumb. She can see the writing on the wall with the budget cuts. They wouldn’t have even gotten the 13 if ABC had a show waiting in the wings to replace it. This show should have ended with the current season.

48. Neuromama says:

Why do you abbreviate Private Practice with 3 P’s in stead of 2? It drives me INSANE!

49. Sarah says:

I wouldn’t watch with no Addie. I just care about Addie not the others.

50. Tara says:

Would rather watch paint dry than watch the show without Kate Walsh.