GMA's Robin Roberts Undergoing Bone Marrow Transplant for 'Rare Blood Disorder'

robin roberts gma cancerGood Morning America anchor Robin Roberts, who beat breast cancer five years ago, announced on air this morning that she’ll undergo chemotherapy and a bone-marrow transplant after being diagnosed with MDS or myelodysplastic syndrome.

An emotional Roberts told the audience that her older sister is “a virtually perfect match” and will be her donor.

ABC News shared on its Web site a note that Roberts wrote to staffers, detailing that her MDS — formerly referred to as prelukemia — is likely the result of having undergone breast-cancer treatment, and that she received her diagnosis “on the very day that Good Morning America finally beat [NBC's Today] for the first time in 16 years.

“Then a few weeks ago, during a rather unpleasant procedure to extract bone marrow for testing,” Roberts continued, “I received word that I would interview President Obama the next day. The combination of landing the biggest interview of my career and having a drill in my back reminds me that God only gives us what we can handle and that it helps to have a good sense of humor when we run smack into the absurdity of life.”

Roberts added that while a Google search of MDS will yield “some scary stuff,” her doctors insist statistics on the disease do not apply to her. “They say I’m younger and fitter than most people who confront this disease and will be cured,” she wrote.

Roberts maintained that it will be “business as usual” and that she will remain in the anchor chair in the coming months at GMA, with some “very talented friends at ABC News” filling in when she misses the occasional day. In late summer or fall, when she undergoes her bone-marrow transplant, she’ll miss “a chunk of time.”

“I am going to beat this,” Roberts said on air. “My doctor say it and my faith says it to me.”

1. nitemar says:

Good luck to Robin. A big fighter and a winner. No difference this time. God bless!

2. Elia Lopez says:

Robin GOD is good and does great things. I admire you and your wonderful GMA Family ! You are an inspiration to me. I will keep you in my prayers . Elia Lopez, Lyford, Texas

3. LInda McCubbin says:

I admire your courage to go public with this! My mother died at 62 as a result of breast cancer. She too was a wonderful person! You are an insperation and I love watching you every morning on GMA and some of my magazines. I am praying for you!
    Linda from Duluth

4. Linda Plemons says:

Robin, wishing you a peaceful heart and God is good. GMA team shows so much love and caring. I truly enjoy watching and laughing. What a team!!!

5. JD says:

God is trying to recruit her to anchor Good Morning Heaven…

6. Renee says:

God bless Robin.

7. Linda says:

“A near perfect match”….awesome!! She’ll have no problem beating this!!

8. Jenny says:

Robin is one tough cookie and is an example of class personified.

9. Pam Nagle says:

Robin, you are a lady of inspiration, courage, strength, and dignity. You are in the thoughts and prayers of more people than you can ever imagine. We all cherish you for so many reasons, but most importantly for your ability to connect with the public despite your celebrity status always showing the human side. Sharing your personal fight with all of us was an incredible thing to do. Your battle is our battle!! We will walk every step of this walk with you. Stay strong and may God bless.

Pam

10. Linda Romero says:

Just another battle for one amazing warrior!!! Once again, you will be victorious! God is around you and in you Robin. Be still and know that HE is God!!! Praying for you everyday and asking God to surround you with many angels and love!! Linda R. Shelbyville, Ky

11. Ryan says:

Love her courage and optimism.

12. Diana S says:

I wish Robin the best. Hope the surgery goes well for her.

13. Angela says:

Wow, that’s a tough road ahead. I’m glad she’s found a donor, though, and that the outlook remains positive. Best of luck and get well wishes to her.

14. Marie says:

I know she can beat it she is very strong. I have had MDS for 12 years.

15. Rebecca says:

Slezak—*pre leukemia

16. Miriam Thomas's says:

God Bless you Robin ,You know God is a Healer and he has you covered from top to bottom blessing for a fast recovery to get you home and back to us on GMA soon Love and my prayer,Mim Thomas