Cable Ratings: Mad Men Hits Finale High, True Blood Steady in Return, Longmire Rises

AMC’s Mad Men wrapped its most watched season to date with a finale audience of 2.7 million total viewers, marking an 11 percent increase over the Season 3 capper and the show’s largest finale audience ever.

For all of Season 5, Mad Men averaged 2.6 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 demo — up 15 and 17 percent versus Season 4.

RECAP | Mad Men Finale: Shock and Awww

Sunday’s other main attraction, the Season 5 premiere of HBO’s True Blood, drew 5.2 million total viewers with its 9 o’clock airing and 6.3 mil across both broadcasts, down juuuuust a smidgen from Season 4’s opener.

Leading out of that, the Veep finale drew 1.1 million total viewers (down 8 percent week-to-week). Girls, with a 10:30 pm audience of 870,000, was down 13 percent.

RECAP | True Blood Season 5 Premiere: Were You Shocked By the Big Twist?!

Over on A&E, Week 2 of Longmire held steady with 4.1 million total viewers and in fact rose 22 percent in the 18-49 demo (collecting 1.2 mil in that crowd).

RELATED | Sunday Broadcast Ratings: Tony Awards Hit a 21-Year Low

1. Michelle says:

Wow. Nice numbers all around. Hopefully we get some news on how GIRLS and THE KILLING did as well.

2. Linda says:

How did the Glades do?

3. NumberCruncher says:

now we know why TONYS were down — worst ratings in 21 years!

4. Tania says:

So, Matt, how did The Glades do?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No idea; cable ratings typically come out long after the broadcast numbers hit, unless the network splurges for a rush (as AMC and HBO understandably did). My pals at TVByTheNumbers are very good about keeping an eye out for the stragglers.

5. M80 says:

How has The Big C been doing this year? I know Nurse Jackie was already renewed, but the lack of a renewal for The Big C has me worried for its future.

6. Velvet says:

I watch The Big C, Veep and Longmire is a decent show.

7. Velvet says:

Longmire – I like that he’s rough around the edges, doesn’t say too much but says what needs to be said and gets it done his way. He’s real easy on the eyes, too.

8. Tran says:

Let’s hope Season Six of Mad Men doesn’t want to have another longer hiatus than last time. Don’t screw this series again, AMC.

9. Kat says:

Love The Glades and Longmire. A&E is giving us two gorgeous men back to back…..doesn’t get any better than that.

10. Emily says:

A&E is the one channel whose original series have never been on my radar, or that of anyone else I know. 4.1 mil for Longmire sounds impressive.

• smidnite says:

No worries; A7E usually ends up dumping their original series when their next reality hit comes along.

11. nitemar says:

So far, Longmire has got my attention as well..very impressive numbers. Happy with A&E. Sad that The Killing is coming to an end..but anxiously awaiting for Hells on Wheels, think August 12! :)

12. Jared says:

It must be a bummer for HBO to see Girls flop considering how much money they payed formerly-credible critics to gush about the piece of garbage.

• ChrisGa says:

I really can’t believe all the praise that show is getting; I watched the pilot and thought it was awful and I’ve tuned in here and there and still think it’s bad. I don’t get the love.

• xwiseguyx says:

Thank you for saying this. I was not only taken aback by their raves for this awful show with zero mass appeal, but horrified they thought this show deserved to be on their Dream Emmy list which shows how out of touch they are.

13. TheDude says:

Longmire kicks all different kinds of ass. Been loving that show, so far.

14. april-ann says:

Mad Men’s numbers last night were, in my opinion, undeserved. Don’t get me wrong. I love Mad Men; its very subtlety and nuance is what drew me in in the first place. I’m hoping last night’s “meh” season finale ep means that we won’t have to wait as long for a new season to begin (meaning that since they didn’t exactly knock themselves out trying to knock US out, they are already hard at work). While I look forward to a new season, last night left me not craving for it.

15. Ram510 says:

Longmire went up in the demo??? Who’s watching this show? I figured it would just be for the over 50 crowd. Maybe its over 40

16. Ally says:

Well I’m 28 and I love Longmire. I’m not usually one for procedurals but the setting, characters and actors are awesome. The show kind of reminds me of back in the day when I was a kid and my Grandma would put Walker Texas Ranger on the TV

17. teleaddict says:

Longmire is a great show, and I like The Glades. However I may be the only person around who sees nothing in Mad men, no characters to root for or even like, dark, depressing, and basically…..boring and stupid. Can’t wait for Homeland and Downton Abbey to retrun.

• Bob says:

Homeland is great and should have two seasons per year. Downton Abbey is good, too, although it will suffer a bit when they bump off Maggie Smith. Hers is the glue character on the show.

18. Bob says:

If the producers of the Tony Awards want to know why their ratings were in the tank, this is all they need to read. Not only did repeats on broadcast networks beat them, but viewers flocked to quality “cable” shows. If they had broadcast the show one week earlier, they might not have suffered as much.

19. Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall look
    of your site is magnificent, let alone the content!