Cable Ratings: Mad Men Hits Finale High, True Blood Steady in Return, Longmire Rises

Get More: Finales, News, Premieres, Ratings

AMC’s Mad Men wrapped its most watched season to date with a finale audience of 2.7 million total viewers, marking an 11 percent increase over the Season 3 capper and the show’s largest finale audience ever.

For all of Season 5, Mad Men averaged 2.6 million total viewers, with 1.1 mil landing in the 18-49 demo — up 15 and 17 percent versus Season 4.

RECAP | Mad Men Finale: Shock and Awww

Sunday’s other main attraction, the Season 5 premiere of HBO’s True Blood, drew 5.2 million total viewers with its 9 o’clock airing and 6.3 mil across both broadcasts, down juuuuust a smidgen from Season 4′s opener.

Leading out of that, the Veep finale drew 1.1 million total viewers (down 8 percent week-to-week). Girls, with a 10:30 pm audience of 870,000, was down 13 percent.

RECAP | True Blood Season 5 Premiere: Were You Shocked By the Big Twist?!

Over on A&E, Week 2 of Longmire held steady with 4.1 million total viewers and in fact rose 22 percent in the 18-49 demo (collecting 1.2 mil in that crowd).

RELATED | Sunday Broadcast Ratings: Tony Awards Hit a 21-Year Low

Comments (29)

• Wow. Nice numbers all around. Hopefully we get some news on how GIRLS and THE KILLING did as well.

Comment by Michelle – June 11, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did the Glades do?

Comment by Linda – June 11, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now we know why TONYS were down — worst ratings in 21 years!

Comment by NumberCruncher – June 11, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, Matt, how did The Glades do?

Comment by Tania – June 11, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No idea; cable ratings typically come out long after the broadcast numbers hit, unless the network splurges for a rush (as AMC and HBO understandably did). My pals at TVByTheNumbers are very good about keeping an eye out for the stragglers.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 11, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How has The Big C been doing this year? I know Nurse Jackie was already renewed, but the lack of a renewal for The Big C has me worried for its future.

Comment by M80 – June 11, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch The Big C, Veep and Longmire is a decent show.

Comment by Velvet – June 11, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire – I like that he’s rough around the edges, doesn’t say too much but says what needs to be said and gets it done his way. He’s real easy on the eyes, too.

Comment by Velvet – June 11, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by Renee – June 11, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks like I’m going to have to give Longmire a looksee after all. I wasn’t going to, but apparently I’m missing something. So, I’ll check it out. :)

Comment by Tania – June 11, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope Season Six of Mad Men doesn’t want to have another longer hiatus than last time. Don’t screw this series again, AMC.

Comment by Tran – June 11, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love The Glades and Longmire. A&E is giving us two gorgeous men back to back…..doesn’t get any better than that.

Comment by Kat – June 11, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A&E is the one channel whose original series have never been on my radar, or that of anyone else I know. 4.1 mil for Longmire sounds impressive.

Comment by Emily – June 11, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No worries; A7E usually ends up dumping their original series when their next reality hit comes along.

Comment by smidnite – June 11, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far, Longmire has got my attention as well..very impressive numbers. Happy with A&E. Sad that The Killing is coming to an end..but anxiously awaiting for Hells on Wheels, think August 12! :)

Comment by nitemar – June 11, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It must be a bummer for HBO to see Girls flop considering how much money they payed formerly-credible critics to gush about the piece of garbage.

Comment by Jared – June 11, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really can’t believe all the praise that show is getting; I watched the pilot and thought it was awful and I’ve tuned in here and there and still think it’s bad. I don’t get the love.

Comment by ChrisGa – June 11, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for saying this. I was not only taken aback by their raves for this awful show with zero mass appeal, but horrified they thought this show deserved to be on their Dream Emmy list which shows how out of touch they are.

Comment by xwiseguyx – June 12, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire kicks all different kinds of ass. Been loving that show, so far.

Comment by TheDude – June 11, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree. i really like it. anyone know how many episodes will be in the first season?

Comment by leahbh – June 12, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men’s numbers last night were, in my opinion, undeserved. Don’t get me wrong. I love Mad Men; its very subtlety and nuance is what drew me in in the first place. I’m hoping last night’s “meh” season finale ep means that we won’t have to wait as long for a new season to begin (meaning that since they didn’t exactly knock themselves out trying to knock US out, they are already hard at work). While I look forward to a new season, last night left me not craving for it.

Comment by april-ann – June 11, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire went up in the demo??? Who’s watching this show? I figured it would just be for the over 50 crowd. Maybe its over 40

Comment by Ram510 – June 11, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is just for the over 50 crowd. You young whipper-snappers should go watch The Choice.

Comment by Alienate – June 11, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m 28 and I love Longmire. I’m not usually one for procedurals but the setting, characters and actors are awesome. The show kind of reminds me of back in the day when I was a kid and my Grandma would put Walker Texas Ranger on the TV

Comment by Ally – June 11, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire is a great show, and I like The Glades. However I may be the only person around who sees nothing in Mad men, no characters to root for or even like, dark, depressing, and basically…..boring and stupid. Can’t wait for Homeland and Downton Abbey to retrun.

Comment by teleaddict – June 12, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Homeland is great and should have two seasons per year. Downton Abbey is good, too, although it will suffer a bit when they bump off Maggie Smith. Hers is the glue character on the show.

Comment by Bob – June 13, 2012 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the producers of the Tony Awards want to know why their ratings were in the tank, this is all they need to read. Not only did repeats on broadcast networks beat them, but viewers flocked to quality “cable” shows. If they had broadcast the show one week earlier, they might not have suffered as much.

Comment by Bob – June 13, 2012 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you made blogging look easy. The overall look
    of your site is magnificent, let alone the content!

Comment by office cleaning los angeles – July 26, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post