Secret Life: Shailene Woodley Talks Wedding, Big Twist and Glee-ful Fun (But No Clooney Cameo)

Now that Amy and Ricky on The Secret Life of the American Teenager have abandoned their big wedding plans and instead have an eye on eloping, will their impulsive agenda go off without a hitch (meaning, with one)? Or will it be much “I do” about nothing? Fans of the ABC Family drama will get that answer Monday night at 8/7c, as Season 5 kicks off.

Here, series lead Shailene Woodley previews Amy’s big day, a shocker on the horizon and shares her Glee about the show’s 100th episode.

TVLINE | I went to catch up on the show with last week’s episode, where it seemed that everyone was either coming out as gay or contemplating it. It was… confusing.
Yeah, I was confused about it as well! But it seems there’s a time in everyone’s life when they question their sexuality, whether it’s for a millisecond or a few days, and that was just the writers’ way of artistically representing that moment.

TVLINE | But Amy and Ricky — definitely straight?
Definitely straight.

RELATED | Amy Sherman-Palladino on ABC Family’s Bunheads, Gilmore Girls‘ Final Four Words

TVLINE | Now that they’ve scrapped their Fourth of July wedding day in favor of “ASAP,” will there be no more snafus?
Our show wouldn’t be what it is without constant new obstacles [Laughs], but yeah, it looks like — it appears — that the wedding is going to happen. And I think that fans will be very excited to see what actually goes down. Then, in a few more episodes, there might be another shocker.

TVLINE | Who all is privy to the elopement plan? Just Amy’s father (played by Mark Derwin)?
He might be… but apart from him, I don’t think anybody will be in the know until they get back. A lot of people will be happy [for them], and a lot of people will be angered.

RELATED | Heroes Alum Pulls Baby Daddy Duty on New ABC Family Comedy

TVLINE | You mentioned a “shocker” on the horizon. What can you tease about the nature of it?
The only thing I can tease is that it’s going to be something that no one expected. If I say anything else, it’d completely ruin it. But really, I don’t think anybody will see it coming.

TVLINE | I hear that Secret Life has something special on tap for Episode 100 (airing June 25).
Yeah! We kind of tapped into our inner Glee. There might be a musical number, with some singing, some dancing…. It’s definitely different from anything we’ve ever done before. When I read the script, I was excited, because it’s always fun to do something unique in comparison to what you’re used to doing on a daily basis. And to bring that energy onto the set was really fun. It was probably one of my favorite episodes to film.

TVLINE | So, you are going to sing for us?
Well, no — not me! [Laughs] Not me…. But some other people on the show are actually professional singers, so it works out pretty great.

RELATED | ABC Family Renews The Lying Game for Season 2

TVLINE | I finally got around to seeing The Descendants on a plane flight. I went in cold, not knowing a thing about it, and it was really terrific. [Woodley received a Golden globe nomination and won an Independent Spirit Award for playing daughter to George Clooney.]
Thank you so much. That was a totally magical time in my life, and it changed a lot about who I am today. It was a dynamic experience which I feel so lucky to have had.

TVLINE | I’ve interviewed George Clooney a couple of times, and he is such a nice guy — very genuine. And he always comes off as a stand-up fella who likes to do right by those he has worked with. So… if you wanted him to guest-star on Secret Life before your run has ended, is it just a matter of a phone call?
I definitely don’t think he would do it. Working on a PSA or something would be more along the lines of what he would love to do. Because if he’s going to do something extra with his time, he kind of always gravitates towards something philanthropic.

TVLINE | And what can you say about your next film, The Spectacular Now (adapted from Tim Tharp’s award-winning novel)?
We’re hopefully shooting it this summer. Miles Teller (Footloose) is going to be playing opposite me, and the director is James Ponsoldt, who is phenomenal. I’ve only seen his movie Smashed, which was at Sundance this year, but I think just from that one movie he is one of the greatest upcoming directors I’ve seen. It’s about two teenagers who fall in love, but it’s told in a very special, real, human way. Alcoholism is a major part of the script. It’s the same writers as (500) Days of Summer (Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber), so it’s very truthful and catchy and funny, and yet at the same time its heartfelt. I am so excited!

1. kate says:

my sister watches this show. I thought season 04 of ended and we’d get a freaking break from it, but no, it kicks off the VERY NEXT WEEK with season 05. oy vey. cancel this train wreck already.

2. Ava says:

I watch this show with my niece and my sister and I always joke (when my niece is not around) that this would be the best drinking game show because each episode has a key word that is literally every other word out of the characters mouthes. Last week it was “gay” most weeks it is “sex” my niece loves it though so we keep watching.

• Kim says:

I have said this forever. Except that you would always have alcohol poisoning. Imdb says this show averages saying the word “sex” about 25 times per episode!!!

• Dawni says:

Not even close. Its MAYBE 7-9. but not 25, Jeez. I`ve watch Every single episode, (yes i know, Sounds like i have no life,) But the show is just really intriguing, and keeps you hooked. and thats what i like about it. you never know whats going to happen!

• songbyrd86 says:

The writing on this show is utterly HORRIBLE – it’s not the actors’ faults that the material is complete crap. That being said, this is the most horrible show that I can’t stop watching. It is so mind-numbingly stupid that I’m addicted. I love to hate this show.

3. Rob says:

Ill be honest the show was terrible till this recent string of episodes. I don’t know if they got new writers or someone took the cuffs off them but the show actually has a spine now where as before it was just 17 year olds saying ” sex” 500 times an episode till it became nauseating.

• anon says:

Um, what show have you been watching? The most recent string of episodes have been just as bad, only instead of saying sex 500 times, they are saying gay 500 times. The writing on this show is TERRIBLE.

4. Tray says:

what gets me is that people who are not interested in this show are clearly reading about it… if you dont like it dont read about it or comment. simple.

• filmex says:

Amen. We are supposed to believe people keep watching a show they don’t care for, apparently just so they can offer snarky commentary such as above.

We love the show. The dialogue is hilarious, particularly their La Ronde of going around and around on a topic.

Shailene was tremendous in “The Descendants” but anyone who has watched “Secret Life” over the years wasn’t surprised by that.

Our only question is what has been going on with India Eisley (Ashley). She’s hardly been around of late. It almost looks as if she’s going high fashion (based on the pix you see of her)–she seems much thinner, and her beauty just doesn’t stop, which is understandable in that her mom, Olivia Hussey, was one of the great beauties of all time.

• Haley says:

Imma dispute that. I watched Secret Life for a season and a half (until I discovered that beating myself over the head with an encyclopedia killed less brain cells) and when I watched the Descendants I was all like “this woman is a champion. Someone fetch her better scripts.”

• Dayna says:

Shes skinny and all that because she was in Underworld Awakening. She had to look scary and what not to play a highbrid. She plays Selens daughter. So that’s why she looks so different on the show.

• anon says:

I watch the show every week, so I feel I have every right to comment on the show even if my opinion is negative.

The show has had some good episodes – I won’t deny that at all, and that’s why I keep watching – because there are good moments and I want to see how certain story lines play out. But I am getting weary or hearing sex or gay a gazillion times in each episode. I appreciate that the writers are trying to tackle difficult issues that are relevant in today’s society, but they could do so without every other word being sex or gay. I sometimes get the feeling that the writers are obsessed with those two issues to the point of ignoring other equally important issues. The writing on this show is mediocre at best, but it’s what I expect. I will still watch it, and I feel like I have the freedom to read an article and voice my opinion as much as the next person.

And I loved The Descendants – Woodley was very good in it, and I think she needs to free herself of this show and move on to bigger and better things.

• Maya Holland says:

I agree completely! I haven’t yet seen the Decedents, but I’m sure Woodley was great!

• ML says:

I did think they did not get married. Now I am reading comments that are saying the same thing. I think the writers are not funny. They know the fans want this, but keep playing with us. Is it that the show has no where else to go? Ben after Amy, Adrian after Ricky! It is getting a little old. Too bad they didn’t end it on a high note. Time to say Goodbye, too Bad!!!

• Dawni says:

Jeez .The shows not over yet, and your already giving up on it? Seriously? Just give them time! They JUST switched directors! It`ll get better!

5. Krystal says:

Amy if you want to talk please text 856) 726) 1519)

6. Lisa says:

lol i highly doubt amy is going to text or call u!

• anon says:

lol – so true!

And I just wanted to add that I really enjoyed last night’s episode. It was one of the better eps in a while. :)

• ML says:

I thInk that the SHOCKER they talk about is that THEY NEVER GOT MARRIED. NOT FUNNY!!!

• anon says:

I am wondering if the shocker has something to do with Ben going to the hospital….there’s a clip up on abcfamily.com that indicates he’s in some kind of trouble….

• Dawni says:

Yeah, but their still together, Thats the good part (: and there was an interview and pictures that all confirm that though they’re not married Yet, they will be

• ML says:

I’m reading that because they are together now, does not mean they will be together always. That doesn’t sound like a Wedding to me. Of course that’s life but was hoping for a Happy Ending!

7. Destiny Dean says:

I love love love love love this show!!!!!!! :) I wish I could meet Shailene Woodley she is such a beautiful woman. And she is a good actress. Waching this just makes it so real. I wish it was real and that her and Daren would actually get married. They make such a cute couple. Just really guys just really get married!!!!!!!! And even though your acting you would think you would actually find some feelings and start really falling for each other. Anyways I LOVE you guys!!!!!!! :) <3

8. Dawni says:

Would you people SHUT UP about how its only sex, and Gays already? Seriously! The shows not getting old, People Ranting on and on about how the show is BAD? That is getting old. Your only seeing the bad in it, Look for the good. You have to dig deep, you know? Read between the lines a little, Because ALOT of the time, theres a really good lesson or message. Not to mention, I Love this show, and if cancels, MANY Many people will be disappointed. This show keeps you on your toes, you never know whats going to happen next, and the love triangles are interesting and keep you guessing. It teaches you a lot of life lessons like: dont have sex in high school, dont do drugs, when you love someone but they dont feel the same way you have to set them free, open up your heart to the one you love, lies will just make every situation worse, Dont try to screw up other peoples relationships because youll just end up ruining the relationships in your life not just theirs, And you should get to know someone better before telling them personal information about yourself. That might not seem like much to some people, but for A LOT of other people, Thats everything, and its good advise.

9. Kitty says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW IM HOOKED ON WHETHER AMY AND RICKY WILL MAKE IT I HOPE THEY DO OVERALL ITS A GOOD SHOW AND IF YU DONT LIKE IT THEN IT TAKES 2 SECONDS TO CHANGE THE CHANNEL DONT COMPLAIN OVER SOMETHING YU CHOOSE TO WATCH THE WRITERS KNOW WHAT THEY RE DOING SO GET
    OFF THEIR BACKS THEYRE GOOD THATS WHY THEY WERE CHOOSEN IF YU DONT LIKE THIS SHOW DONT WATCH IT AND DONT LOOK IT UP

10. priscilla lavalais says:

I know next year is the last year of Secret Life of American teenager but I would like to see the reruns I would like to enjoy the weekend and I’m going to miss um secret life

11. beckykagasoff says:

OMG ITS GOING TO MAKE ME CRY WHEN I FINALLY SEE THE LAST EPISODE!!! ken said that the last two scenes are good and sad and that the last scene will be absolutely heart breaking!!! Im in love with the show and with the actors…. FOR THOSE WHO DON’T KNOW OUR INFAMOUS RICKY HAS BEEN CASTED IN THE NEW FOX SERIES DELIRIUM!! so watch and see our babies strive as we have for so many years on the abc family stage!