Amy Sherman-Palladino on the Gilmore Parallels in Bunheads and Those Elusive Final Four Words

Get More: Previews

You may be pirouetting with excitement over ABC Family’s Bunheads (premiering Monday at 9/8c) because it promises all the balletic grace of Black Swan but with small-town charm in place of big-city psychosis. Or you could be tutu psyched because it stars Tony winner Sutton Foster as a fish-out-of-water Vegas showgirl. But the likeliest reason you’ll be making it a “pointe” to watch is that the series is the latest from the Wonder Woman behind Gilmore Girls, Amy Sherman-Palladino. Heck, even just in this TVLine Q&A, she manages to dish out reminder after reminder of why her work is so adored, waxing comedic on everything from the non-debate over the show’s title to the numerous Gilmore parallels. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, yes, she finally delivers those elusive final four words (but, of course, there’s a catch).

TVLINE | Where did the idea for this show come from?
I danced my whole life. My mother is tragically disappointed at the ugly turn of events that my life has taken. She really counted on me being a dancer.

TVLINE | It’s an unusual title. Did you get any pushback from ABC Family?
I got one phone call after they picked up the pilot to say, “So, uh, is Bunheads the title?” I said, “Yeah.” And they went, “Okay.” [Laughs] I guarantee you that a conversation was had around a big table with a lot of Diet Cokes and worried faces and charts in front of them. [ABC Family executive VP] Kate Juergens knows me. She was at The WB when I pitched Gilmore. She understands the complicated yet charmingly delightful world of Amy Sherman-Palladino. And though it’s fraught with peril, there are many pleasures to be derived from the experience. [Kate and her team] will ask the occasional question but there has not been a wholesale demand for something.

TVLINE | How did Sutton Foster come into the picture? Were you familiar with her work?
I was familiar the name Sutton Foster, but I never met her or had any interaction with her. Sutton has never done any real TV. Her life has been so Broadway, Broadway, Broadway. When I started writing the script I went to New York and saw Anything Goes. And I was like, “I’m basing this on absolutely nothing. I may have had too many cocktails before the show. But I feel like this might be our girl.” So I called CAA — the most powerful dominating force in the world — and [arranged a] meeting. I wanted to see if she was crazy, if she speaks in tongues, if she eats kittens — how nutty is she?” So I met her between [performances] and, you know, on stage she ‘s this sort of brassy tall blonde bombshell. And then she takes her makeup off and she looks like she’s 12 years old. I’m sitting across the table from a 12-year-old eating chicken fingers. I as like, “There is something unbelievably strange and perfect about this girl.” She’s a chameleon. One minute she can be glammy and the next minute she’s the  girl next door and the next minute she’s Barney Fife.

RELATED | Gilmore Creator on Alexis Bidel’s Racy Mad Men Stint: ‘They Were Nice Boobs’

TVLINE | But could she handle your 16-page monologues?
First off, they’re 15 pages. Don’t get crazy. [Laughs] Theater folks tend to be good with dialogue. And, frankly, she came out here and I worked with her. We sat in a room together — she already memorized the script — and we worked on several scenes and, believe me, by the time the press release came out I was beyond positive that this is my girl. And [since then] Sutton has so far exceeded even my wildest expectations, and my expectations were pretty damn [high]. She’s really just incredible. Sutton is a dream to write for. There’s nothing she can’t do or try. You write a scene where [her character] Michelle [wakes] up in her underwear. On another show that’s 15 conversations. “My ass doesn’t look so good.” “Can I be in a teddy?” “Can I have an ass double?” “I don’t want to be in my underwear.” “Call my agent, I think I have an underwear clause.” It’s like a whole thing. With Sutton, the directions say “walk around in your underwear” and five minutes later I get a picture from wardrobe going, “Which pair of underwear do you want her walking around in?” She’s just an absolute gamer. She’s in it to play.

TVLINE | Did you always envision Kelly as the mother hen?
Kelly in real-life is this woman. Kelly is much more of a broad than Emily Gilmore was. Emily Gilmore was very pristine and precise. If you’ve ever sat down with Kelly Bishop and had a couple of cocktails, you know, she’s a broad. The problem with Kelly was that she lives back East and the show shoots in L.A. I knew she did not want to move to California. I knew her husband would never want to move to California. And then there was some concern about setting myself up for the, “Oh, so you’re doing Gilmore Girls all over again.” Which after a week of auditions was put out of my head immediately. After you hear the wrong people read the part, it’s just so clear who the right person is. [Laughs] So that led to my long journey to get Kelly to do it. There was a lot of heartbreak. We went back and forth and finally I found a system that worked for Kelly.

TVLINE | Even aside from Kelly, the show does have a very Gilmorian feel to it. The small town. The three generations of women. The banter.
I write a very specific way. No matter who the characters are, they’re going to talk fast. There are not going to be a lot of close-ups. There is always going to be a feel. That’s my writing. When I go see an Aaron Sorkin movie I don’t want them to talk slow and stare deeply into each other’s eyes. I want that great Aaron Sorkin s— that he does. As far as the small town, it just became [small], honestly, by necessity. And as far as the generational stuff, look, I just like that. This time, I have four [young] girls that I’m centering on instead of one. It’s not a mother-daughter story. It’s not about that. But it is about home. And finding a home. And who are we going to become? Are there similarities [to Gilmore]? Sure. Are they on purpose? No. Am I unhappy about them? No. It’s a different world. It’s a fun world. My hope is it’s a world that Gilmore fans will feel comfortable working into, and [also] find different dynamics to fall in love with that they didn’t have on Gilmore Girls.

TVLINE | Last question — what were your final four words of Gilmore Girls.
[Laughs] For the rest of my life you’re going to be asking me that.  I am going to tell you. I am going to tell you. It’s not going to be today, but I am going to tell you. And I’m only going to tell you.

TVLINE | What are the final four words on Bunheads going to be?
[Laughs] Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

Comments (84)

• so she’s going to ONLY tell you, hey that’s fair!!! you better share !!!! :)

Comment by Martina – June 10, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…before I read this, I hope he asks what those last words were suppose to be..I want to know!!!!!

Comment by Jill – June 10, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The last 4 words were to Roru, and they were “Stay away from Pete”

Comment by The Shack – June 11, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kept yelling at the tv – stop Rory stop!! Don’t let nasty Pete touch you!!

Comment by melosm – June 13, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 5 years after Gilmore girls and I STILL haven’t forgotten that I don’t know what those 4 words are! I MUST KNOW NOW!!!!

Comment by Tookie – June 10, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that the end goal in ilmore Girs was for Lorelei to make peace with her mom, so the final four words could have been “I love you, mom” or “I forgive you, mom” or something revolving around that premise.

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 10, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking. Either “I love you Mom” or “I love you, Lorelai” (from Emily to Lorelai)

Comment by Ann – June 10, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about, “Let’s eat some pudding.”? In the first season, there was quite some surprise when Emily served pudding, and Loreli thought it was a signed she listened….

Comment by GTS – June 29, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch it!!!

Comment by Tatiane – June 10, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she tells you those final words, you better share Ausiello! Come on! We depend on you to keep the Gilmore Girls alive and that question circulating! Don’t let us down man! lol

Besides that, great interview!

Comment by Chloie – June 10, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a member of Entertainment Weekly’s Front Row Panel, so I got to see a sneak preview of the pilot episode a few weeks ago. I was dubious during the first ten minutes, but then I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. Yes, it may be a little too quirkily Gilmorian not to invite comparisons, but it’s certainly got some great potential. (I have to say, Ms. Bishop looks a heck of a lot better/younger in the photo above than she did in the pilot episode.) I’ll be watching again, tomorrow night, to see if they’ve made any edits.

Comment by JulieB – June 10, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always believed them to be “I love you mom.” Except I figured it was Rory to Loreli. And back when it was supposedly two words I thought it might be Rory saying “bye mom.” on her way to some adventure.

I’m one of the few that love the actually ending though. I thought it was fitting that we faded away with them talking. It was an homage to the series and respectful to the fact that Sheridan-Pallidino (sp) knew the last words and so there really weren’t any last words.

Comment by lilyputty – June 10, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I think it would have to be ‘I love you ___(kid/mum)’ between Rory and Lorelai. You can’t end the show with anyone else.

Comment by Lauren – June 10, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never forgive her for ruining Gilmore Girls by setting things in motion before she left.

Comment by logan – June 10, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. I think the new showrunners did the best that they could, but she really, really did all that she could to ruin it before she left. Luke with a long-lost-daughter? That still pisses me off.

Comment by Michelle – June 10, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The daughter wasn’t bad but the way Luke handled it was horrible. Then Loreli sleeping with Chris.UGH!

Comment by tp – June 10, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah I never get why people hate the seventh season so much. I prefer it to season six (the last half). It just made Luke so unlikeable and Lorelai possessive and pathetic. While season seven didn’t have as much of a Gilmore Girls feel to the dialogue, I loved the last episode and I enjoyed the last season more than the end of the sixth one.
          But I’ll definitely be watching Bunheads, I loved the pilot.

Comment by Lauren – June 10, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was just re-watching the series (for the fifth time), but got turned off (again) while watching the episode when Lorelai met April. (For the first time) I decided not to continue watching, and wondered if there were like-minded folks somewhere; after googling, I found your site.
          I don’t mind keeping April and having Luke handle her sudden appearance better so that he and Lorelai never have to put off the wedding.

HOWEVER, what I REALLY would like to see is Gilmore Girls without the Logan character. Whenever the scenes with him and Rory come on, I mute the TV and squint so that I don’t have to see what’s going on. He was the most obnoxious character on the show, IMHO. In addition, the writers never convinced me that Rory would be attracted to him.

I know from comments that Amy S-P made (I have the entire series on DVD, including commentary by the creators) that she liked Matt C and the Logan character very much, but I’ve read many blogs with people who think it was a bad idea to include him in the show. Just google any variation of JUMP THE SHARK GILMORE GIRLS and you will see what I mean.

Comment by Kshan – December 30, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • There are plenty of liked minded people. I don’t like to watch beyond S3 (and even S2/3 is tainted by the heavy handed, drawn out triangle). Luke’s long lost kid storyline wouldn’t have been AS bad if it had been a younger kid by Rachel or Nicole, because we knew who they were and when he was with them.

ASP had trouble keeping the young men around, which resulted in a horrible number of boys pining for Princess. Ms. Sherman lost the original blond boy long ago and replaced him twice. I waited six years for that promise to be delivered, only to be disappointed.

The show would have been greatly improved if she gave her characters and story half the attention her dialogue got.

Comment by Nicole – January 29, 2013 01:17 PM PDT
    • I’ve been struggling to decide if I’ll watch this show or not. The previews look good, but I still feel like boycotting anything A S-P does because of the hatchet job she did to GG at the end of Season Six. Just thinking about what she did makes me so angry and it’s been YEARS! I own the first six seasons on DVD, but have refused to buy the last one because of the Chris/Lorelei storyline. I HATED every bit of it and it was her fault that they had to go that route.

I’ve also started wondering if there really were 4 words that she had in mind. She’s hinted at them for so long without ever telling what they were, that I’m thinking it’s time to call BS. Maybe it was just a publicity stunt she came up with years ago and never really had an ending written.

Comment by Stephanie – June 10, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I own the first five and refuse to buy the last two. Or maybe I did just buy six, because it was about $10. I can’t even remember at this point. I prefer to pretend that season 4 is the series finale – Raincoats & Recipes = absolute perfection and my favorite episode of the show – and that Luke and Lorelai just live on in happiness, with a few bumps from trying to meld their lives together. No Christopher, no April, no secrets and shiftiness, and no really whiny Rory.

Comment by Michelle – June 11, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. However, I do have the entire series, complete with commentaries by AMY S-P. What her comments imply is that she is envious of the filthy rich, so I suspect she wanted Christopher and Logan to “get the girls”. She especially liked the Logan character; I don’t know why.

I’ve decided to pass on “Bunheads”.

Comment by Kshan – December 30, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Stephanie – don’t cut off your nose to spite your face. You will be missing out on a wonderful series if you don’t watch Bunheads. The first episode is so beautifully done (the commericals do not do it justice!) Boycotting it won’t matter to anyone but you. Also, even though ASP “almost” ruined GG, there are a few wonderful moments in season 7 (the letter, Loreli singing at the bar, the very last episode) that completely wrap everything up in a satisfactory way. You should really get that last season. You will be happy and sad that you did. Actually I kind of envy you not having watched it yet because it has not really ended for you yet.

Comment by meleliot – June 11, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Meleliot – I’ve seen every episode of GG, even Season 7. I just refused to buy that season because I absolutely hated every second with Christopher and Lorelei together. I did go ahead and watch the first episode of Bunheads. I felt like I was watching GG again – the music sounded the same and the mother was just as snotty and judgmental as ever. I liked most of the other characters (with the exception of Truly) but the end was not what I wanted – at least the part that I got to see since my DVR cut off the last minute.

Comment by Stephanie – June 11, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Stephanie, obviously you are seriously PO’d at ASP, and believe, me I understand completely because I held onto that same Christopher/Loreli anger for a few years, but have decided to accept the fact that the WB and ASP, for whatever reason, could not come to an equitable agreement, and she lashed out. Unfortunately, it was the fans that ultimately paid the price. But I forgive her if she allows me to enter into another sleepy little town with quirky characters. ASP has taken a lot of flack for what she did. Maybe she learned her lesson. Sorry you are not as enamored with Bunheads as I.

Comment by meleliot – June 12, 2012 07:49 AM PDT
      • I completely agree with the Lorelai/Chris BS. I don’t even watch those episodes because Chris just pisses me off. Them being together was the worst idea ever.

Comment by Becca – September 4, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched every episode of “Gilmore Girls” multiple times, but I think I’m missing something on the “four words” thing. What is that about? The conversation at the diner in the final scene? I’ve never given much thought to what they were saying.

Comment by lariet50 – June 10, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ASP once said she already knew what the last four words of dialogue would be for the entire Gilmore Girls series. She had it planned. Then, after contract disputes, she left the position of showrunner and therefore the final season was planned, written & executed by another person. We never found out what those words were.

Comment by Stacy – June 10, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I swear I read somewhere that the last words were supposed to be “you are adopted”

Comment by oliviaasiala – June 10, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. That was a JOKE that has spread because incredibly gullible people for some reason believe it might be true. Guess you’re a case in point!

Comment by Chris – June 11, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aren’t the final four words:
    “I do.”
    “I do.”

that’s what i always figured.

Comment by flutiefan – June 10, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Until I see a GG reunion movie where Lorelai & Luke get married and Rory & Jess get back together, ASP can rot in Hades.

Comment by Stormy – June 10, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Kate – June 10, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s how it ends in my head too.

Comment by Brandyn – June 11, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boo. Luke/Lorelei is fine, but I never liked Jess and always felt he was just there for a “bad boy” phase. Rain hate down upon me, but that’s my opinion.

Comment by Sheila – June 11, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I TOTALLY agree. I hated the Jess character and how he was soooo beneath her. Not to mention that Dean was the BEST boyfriend ever. It’s kinda like having Luke and Lorelei break up-made me MAD!!i

Comment by Lola – October 26, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Jess and Rory! He did grow up, as seen in s6. ARGH. Logan was a pompous di** like Jess said hehe.

Comment by lorna – June 11, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I hate ASP for the absolute mess that Gilmore Girls became in its last two seasons, I love Kelly Bishop. She earned it, and she should have gotten a heck of a lot more accolades for her work on GG than she did. As such, maybe love will overcome hate.

Comment by Cathy – June 10, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I too felt robbed by the end of season 6 and all of season 7, and never seeing the show through to where it needed to go. However, the world of Gilmore Girls is my favorite and I can watch the entire series over and over and over again (and I have, probably at least 6 or 7 times through, maybe more). I am excited for Bunheads and for the ASP charm to come back into my living room. I can never hate her b/c she created Gilmore Girls and that entire world – that’s a world I love!!!

Comment by Maggie – June 10, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more!!!

Comment by c-mo – June 10, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bunheads has to be the dumbest name for a TV show ever. I like Sutton Foster, but I don’t know if I can get past the dorky name enough to tune in the show.

Comment by Maddy – June 10, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s that dumb. For those who know the term’s meaning, at least. Mind you, there is even a brand with the same name, which would be my objection to the title. ;-)

Comment by Lea – June 11, 2012 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? You are basing your decision on whether or not to watch a show based on the name, especially when you know the pedigree of the people connected and what the show is about? Wow!

Comment by meleliot – June 11, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It really is an awful title. I think fairly few people know its meaning, which makes it a poor choice. And it just plain sounds stupid. The show is good, but a lot of people will surely skip right past it because of the stinktastic title.

Comment by Chris – June 11, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Amy–welcome back! We’ve missed you.

Comment by Kevin H. – June 11, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one of my 2 favorite writers talking about the other one. and, emmm, can i BE more excited about getting a new show from Arron Sorkin AND a new show from Amy Sherman-Palladino? i don’t think i can!

Comment by noa – June 11, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is the deal with last 4 word? can somebody help me…

Comment by joosipa – June 11, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ASP said that she already knew what she wanted the last four words of the Gilmore Girls series would be, but since she wasn’t there for season 7 she never got to use them, and nobody knows what they were going to be.

Comment by Becca – September 4, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish they would have kept MIOBI and finished that show the way it should have been (with the Olympics!) instead of focusing on another show. I’m out on this one. ABC Family is becoming notorius for keeping crap and bailing on good shows.

Comment by GS – June 11, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree on Gilmore, Season 7 isn’t the worst. It just had the unfortunate task of fixing the awful mess that was Season SIX!! Luke’s handling of the daughter was cringeworthy. I mean, why would they need to postpone the wedding because he found out he had a daughter? It’s not like she was a baby and he needed time to take care of her. She was a teenager! And Lorelai & Rory took way too long to reconcile. It was just a mess. I actually prefer season 7 to 6. It’s funny to think how long ago the show ended, and yet so many people are still talking about it.

Comment by Mikael – June 11, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Miss Patty can have a cameo…

Comment by laylagalise – June 11, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YESSSSSS!

Comment by Alyssa – June 11, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would love to see Liz Torres play Miss Patty at a dance competition as a rival to Fanny. Now there’s some fireworks!

Comment by meleliot – June 12, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tough to imagine since Miss Patti is in Connecticut and Bunheads is set in California.

Comment by Suzie – June 15, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ever heard of Nationals? Airplanes? Suzie you are such a downer.

Comment by meleliot – June 16, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought the last 4 words were Rory saying to Lorele’ “Mom, I am pregnant”.

Comment by Carrie – June 11, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought it would be “Congratulations, it’s a boy”

Comment by me – June 17, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m curious what were the last four words supposed to be? I liked seasons six and seven, but hated Lorelai/Chris but knew it wouldn’t last long. The finale was good but rushed.i don’t think Luke handled the April thing well but Anna didn’t either.I mean Luke waited two months before telling Lorelai about April?! Neither of them let Lorelai be around April, even though she knew about being a mom and would be Aprils stepmom and in her life for a years before April moved off to college.

Comment by Brandy – June 11, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg can she just effing write the script for a Gilmore Girls Movie? This is getting ridulous Amy!

Comment by S – June 11, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach!

Comment by Suzie – June 15, 2012 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with you! I need my Luke and Lorelai happily ever after picture perfect wedding! while yes it is implied they reconciled and got back together we the viewers didn’t get to see it and deserve to do so. Please Daniel, Amy, and all cast and crew make this happen! We miss Stars Hollow so much!

Comment by J – August 18, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree. If they don’t get a move on with the movie some of those wonderful characters may not be with us when the time comes. All GG fans want to see Luke & Lorelai’s wedding and we feel cheated that it hasn’t happened. You could write a movie about Rory coming home to get married and show flash backs to Luke & Lorelais wedding, it would be a huge hit, guaranteed.

Comment by Cheryle Maybury – August 18, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 4 words is ridiculous at this point. I understand her being mad at the WB for the way things ended, but at this point just holding it back from the fans but constantly teasing it is just a s#!tty move on her part.

Comment by DougMac – June 11, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot was amazing. If anyone didn’t watch, be sure to catch up online or on demand. ASP has another winner on her hands.

Comment by Jeffrey – June 11, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished watching! Lovely, amazing & wonderful! Gypsy in a dress, Emily in drag-like make-up. Can’t wait for next week1

Comment by Jill – June 11, 2012 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the end of Gilmore Girls. The start of season 7 was a bit off but I think it picked up at the end of the season, and I think the writers did a good job considering the way ASP left things at the end of season 6. Im not really interested in the four words as far im concerned the show is finished and i dont know why ASP is always going on about it- if she really cared why didn’t she just take the one season contract and write the ending she wanted. All that being said I do think ASP is great writer and I love Gilmore Girls seasons 1-4 , I think 5-6 had their moments but they weren’t that great. Back to Bunheads- the show looks promising so I will definitely check it out.

Comment by Anon – June 12, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched the pilot and it was great – yay for some good summer TV or, uh, summer TV at all!

Comment by Annika – June 12, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that wikipedia saya that ASP left GG after season 5. WB dis not renew her contract. Lauren Graham worked really hard to keep the show running even longer than what it was, but, couldn’t make it. Look forward to more Bunheads. Congrats to ASP for the new show and welcome back to the screen.

Writer and producer David Rosental replaced ASP in GG. Source Wilipedia

Comment by Me – June 13, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess I’m the only one who didn’t love this show???

Comment by Sunny – June 14, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • let me clarify that…LOVED GG, am not impressed with Bunheads

Comment by Sunny – June 14, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GG was & is, one of my fave shows of all time. I also hated the April/Christopher storyline but, as far as I’m concerned, the last episode tied up all the loose ends & hit a home run! All I really cared about was that Luke & Lorelai ended up together, and they did so, I’m a happy camper!

Comment by Mary Dallas – June 16, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still think it should have continued. I also think she should have waited and did Rory as a single mom with Logan’s baby.

Comment by ania – July 9, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to die… she’s going to tell YOU!!!!!!!!!!! You must share it with us… my heart is going to stop!!!

Comment by Vanessa – June 18, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you are at all on the fence about watching “Bunheads” because of your feelings about Amy Sherman-Palladino, or the title or other reasons, just watch the dance scene with Kelly Bishop and Sutton Foster. That alone was enough to sell me on the pilot. Add to that the talented young dancers, and Alan Ruck playing the wonderful Hubbell Flowers and you’ve got a very promising show. I’ve only seen the first two episodes, but they were great.

Comment by Diana Maxwell – July 2, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking you can do Gilmore girls Rory as the mom with Logan’s baby continue the series that way that was o.e of the better shows on t.v. and IM upset that still there is no moving forward i understand some shows have to end but putting a different swing o. Things and keeping the same premise would be great.

Comment by ania – July 9, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to do the movie before the actors change too much more. Seeing Rory in Madmen was already shock enough—not the right part for her on so many levels in my opinion.
    As a tribute to so many GG fans and followers, get the movie going before too much more time passes or we lose one of the many colorful citizens of Stars Hollow. Sounds morbid, but life happens.

Comment by kathie – July 9, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please put us all out of our misery, ASP and make a Gilmore movie to tie up all those loose ends. Does Luke & Lorelai finally get to tie the knot??? How does Rory’s career pan out??? What is Sookies 3rd child??? Does Lorelai ever have any more kids??? You are too cruel to leave so much up in the air with this series. There is so much more to say before we are prepared to leave Stars Hollow for good.

Comment by Cheryle Maybury – July 31, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you a hundred percent. We really need a movie to finish up everything. I just can’t believe the show ended that way.. There was so much more to the story:(( I really want a movie

Comment by Shannon – August 31, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want a Gilmore Girls movie! There’s so much that I need to know still, even though it’s been over for five years. No show will ever be as good as Gilmore Girls. It’s the show I can always watch over and over again and not get sick of. There were so many questions left unanswered when it ended. Luke and Lorelai is the part that bothered me the most. They were, and still are my favorite couple, but all we got to see was them kiss and the look they gave each other in the Diner. There needs to be a movie! (Or another season would be amazing, but that’s not going to happen)

Comment by Becca – September 4, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me too…i want gilmore girls countinued, at least the movie ……please….

Comment by felisia – December 13, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I began watching The Gilmore Girls years after it ended (ty “thewb.com”). LOVE IT! This is my 3rd viewing of season six, and I have to agree…it was lackluster at best. Why take L&L to Martha’s Vineyard, only to have Luke act socially awkward and like a total country bumpkin? Why have Lorelai embarassed by him? I could go on and on…there were so many glaring missteps. While passionate, Luke was not dumb, and season six (April storyline, etc.) made him appear like a moron. Kirk’s funny highlights were too few and far between. I liked Logan and Rory together. However, Logan too suffered from inconsistencies…alternating between calling Rory out on her whining (spot-on) to being inexplicably drunk and rude to her. (Let’s face it, Rory always indulged in a bit of whining…she was just so lovable, we often forgave her for it.) End of season five was well played…Rory freaking out at the suggestion that she was not cut-out to pursue her life’s dream (journalism), and manipulating her boyfriend into stealing a boat (rather than feel the pain of her emotional upheaval). While Lorelai dwells in her own denial of estrangement from Rory and manipulates her boyfriend into a proposal. Like mother / like daughter. And while the whole show danced between emotional estrangement and unconditional love, season six lacked sophistication, wit and charm. Still, sign me up for the movie!

Comment by Rose – January 2, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly didn’t hate the Christopher and Lorelai, but that is probably because it turned attention away from Luke and April. I think what ruined the show was the April story line. I love Luke but he handled that whole situation terribly and Lorelai would never had to go through that much pain and be stuck with Christopher if it weren’t for April coming in to the picture or at least Luke handling it the way he did. If he would have at least handled it better we would have gotten our perfect Luke and Lorelai wedding!

Comment by Ariah – July 29, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Ariah – July 29, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sad that Bunheads is not renewed. I still watch Gilmore Girls, one of my all time favorite shows next to Ugly Betty and Bunheads. I hope Amy has more in her bag of tricks, she is a good writer.

Comment by kerry – August 9, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post