Amy Sherman-Palladino on the Gilmore Parallels in Bunheads and Those Elusive Final Four Words

You may be pirouetting with excitement over ABC Family’s Bunheads (premiering Monday at 9/8c) because it promises all the balletic grace of Black Swan but with small-town charm in place of big-city psychosis. Or you could be tutu psyched because it stars Tony winner Sutton Foster as a fish-out-of-water Vegas showgirl. But the likeliest reason you’ll be making it a “pointe” to watch is that the series is the latest from the Wonder Woman behind Gilmore Girls, Amy Sherman-Palladino. Heck, even just in this TVLine Q&A, she manages to dish out reminder after reminder of why her work is so adored, waxing comedic on everything from the non-debate over the show’s title to the numerous Gilmore parallels. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, yes, she finally delivers those elusive final four words (but, of course, there’s a catch).

TVLINE | Where did the idea for this show come from?
I danced my whole life. My mother is tragically disappointed at the ugly turn of events that my life has taken. She really counted on me being a dancer.

TVLINE | It’s an unusual title. Did you get any pushback from ABC Family?
I got one phone call after they picked up the pilot to say, “So, uh, is Bunheads the title?” I said, “Yeah.” And they went, “Okay.” [Laughs] I guarantee you that a conversation was had around a big table with a lot of Diet Cokes and worried faces and charts in front of them. [ABC Family executive VP] Kate Juergens knows me. She was at The WB when I pitched Gilmore. She understands the complicated yet charmingly delightful world of Amy Sherman-Palladino. And though it’s fraught with peril, there are many pleasures to be derived from the experience. [Kate and her team] will ask the occasional question but there has not been a wholesale demand for something.

TVLINE | How did Sutton Foster come into the picture? Were you familiar with her work?
I was familiar the name Sutton Foster, but I never met her or had any interaction with her. Sutton has never done any real TV. Her life has been so Broadway, Broadway, Broadway. When I started writing the script I went to New York and saw Anything Goes. And I was like, “I’m basing this on absolutely nothing. I may have had too many cocktails before the show. But I feel like this might be our girl.” So I called CAA — the most powerful dominating force in the world — and [arranged a] meeting. I wanted to see if she was crazy, if she speaks in tongues, if she eats kittens — how nutty is she?” So I met her between [performances] and, you know, on stage she ‘s this sort of brassy tall blonde bombshell. And then she takes her makeup off and she looks like she’s 12 years old. I’m sitting across the table from a 12-year-old eating chicken fingers. I as like, “There is something unbelievably strange and perfect about this girl.” She’s a chameleon. One minute she can be glammy and the next minute she’s the  girl next door and the next minute she’s Barney Fife.

RELATED | Gilmore Creator on Alexis Bidel’s Racy Mad Men Stint: ‘They Were Nice Boobs’

TVLINE | But could she handle your 16-page monologues?
First off, they’re 15 pages. Don’t get crazy. [Laughs] Theater folks tend to be good with dialogue. And, frankly, she came out here and I worked with her. We sat in a room together — she already memorized the script — and we worked on several scenes and, believe me, by the time the press release came out I was beyond positive that this is my girl. And [since then] Sutton has so far exceeded even my wildest expectations, and my expectations were pretty damn [high]. She’s really just incredible. Sutton is a dream to write for. There’s nothing she can’t do or try. You write a scene where [her character] Michelle [wakes] up in her underwear. On another show that’s 15 conversations. “My ass doesn’t look so good.” “Can I be in a teddy?” “Can I have an ass double?” “I don’t want to be in my underwear.” “Call my agent, I think I have an underwear clause.” It’s like a whole thing. With Sutton, the directions say “walk around in your underwear” and five minutes later I get a picture from wardrobe going, “Which pair of underwear do you want her walking around in?” She’s just an absolute gamer. She’s in it to play.

TVLINE | Did you always envision Kelly as the mother hen?
Kelly in real-life is this woman. Kelly is much more of a broad than Emily Gilmore was. Emily Gilmore was very pristine and precise. If you’ve ever sat down with Kelly Bishop and had a couple of cocktails, you know, she’s a broad. The problem with Kelly was that she lives back East and the show shoots in L.A. I knew she did not want to move to California. I knew her husband would never want to move to California. And then there was some concern about setting myself up for the, “Oh, so you’re doing Gilmore Girls all over again.” Which after a week of auditions was put out of my head immediately. After you hear the wrong people read the part, it’s just so clear who the right person is. [Laughs] So that led to my long journey to get Kelly to do it. There was a lot of heartbreak. We went back and forth and finally I found a system that worked for Kelly.

TVLINE | Even aside from Kelly, the show does have a very Gilmorian feel to it. The small town. The three generations of women. The banter.
I write a very specific way. No matter who the characters are, they’re going to talk fast. There are not going to be a lot of close-ups. There is always going to be a feel. That’s my writing. When I go see an Aaron Sorkin movie I don’t want them to talk slow and stare deeply into each other’s eyes. I want that great Aaron Sorkin s— that he does. As far as the small town, it just became [small], honestly, by necessity. And as far as the generational stuff, look, I just like that. This time, I have four [young] girls that I’m centering on instead of one. It’s not a mother-daughter story. It’s not about that. But it is about home. And finding a home. And who are we going to become? Are there similarities [to Gilmore]? Sure. Are they on purpose? No. Am I unhappy about them? No. It’s a different world. It’s a fun world. My hope is it’s a world that Gilmore fans will feel comfortable working into, and [also] find different dynamics to fall in love with that they didn’t have on Gilmore Girls.

TVLINE | Last question — what were your final four words of Gilmore Girls.
[Laughs] For the rest of my life you’re going to be asking me that.  I am going to tell you. I am going to tell you. It’s not going to be today, but I am going to tell you. And I’m only going to tell you.

TVLINE | What are the final four words on Bunheads going to be?
[Laughs] Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

1. Martina says:

so she’s going to ONLY tell you, hey that’s fair!!! you better share !!!! :)

2. Tookie says:

5 years after Gilmore girls and I STILL haven’t forgotten that I don’t know what those 4 words are! I MUST KNOW NOW!!!!

3. I think that the end goal in ilmore Girs was for Lorelei to make peace with her mom, so the final four words could have been “I love you, mom” or “I forgive you, mom” or something revolving around that premise.

• Ann says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Either “I love you Mom” or “I love you, Lorelai” (from Emily to Lorelai)

• GTS says:

How about, “Let’s eat some pudding.”? In the first season, there was quite some surprise when Emily served pudding, and Loreli thought it was a signed she listened….

4. Tatiane says:

I can’t wait to watch it!!!

5. Chloie says:

If she tells you those final words, you better share Ausiello! Come on! We depend on you to keep the Gilmore Girls alive and that question circulating! Don’t let us down man! lol

Besides that, great interview!

6. JulieB says:

I’m a member of Entertainment Weekly’s Front Row Panel, so I got to see a sneak preview of the pilot episode a few weeks ago. I was dubious during the first ten minutes, but then I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. Yes, it may be a little too quirkily Gilmorian not to invite comparisons, but it’s certainly got some great potential. (I have to say, Ms. Bishop looks a heck of a lot better/younger in the photo above than she did in the pilot episode.) I’ll be watching again, tomorrow night, to see if they’ve made any edits.

7. lilyputty says:

I’ve always believed them to be “I love you mom.” Except I figured it was Rory to Loreli. And back when it was supposedly two words I thought it might be Rory saying “bye mom.” on her way to some adventure.

I’m one of the few that love the actually ending though. I thought it was fitting that we faded away with them talking. It was an homage to the series and respectful to the fact that Sheridan-Pallidino (sp) knew the last words and so there really weren’t any last words.

• Lauren says:

Yeah I think it would have to be ‘I love you ___(kid/mum)’ between Rory and Lorelai. You can’t end the show with anyone else.

8. logan says:

I will never forgive her for ruining Gilmore Girls by setting things in motion before she left.

• Michelle says:

I totally agree with you. I think the new showrunners did the best that they could, but she really, really did all that she could to ruin it before she left. Luke with a long-lost-daughter? That still pisses me off.

• tp says:

The daughter wasn’t bad but the way Luke handled it was horrible. Then Loreli sleeping with Chris.UGH!

• Lauren says:

Yeah I never get why people hate the seventh season so much. I prefer it to season six (the last half). It just made Luke so unlikeable and Lorelai possessive and pathetic. While season seven didn’t have as much of a Gilmore Girls feel to the dialogue, I loved the last episode and I enjoyed the last season more than the end of the sixth one.
          But I’ll definitely be watching Bunheads, I loved the pilot.

• Kshan says:

I was just re-watching the series (for the fifth time), but got turned off (again) while watching the episode when Lorelai met April. (For the first time) I decided not to continue watching, and wondered if there were like-minded folks somewhere; after googling, I found your site.
          I don’t mind keeping April and having Luke handle her sudden appearance better so that he and Lorelai never have to put off the wedding.

HOWEVER, what I REALLY would like to see is Gilmore Girls without the Logan character. Whenever the scenes with him and Rory come on, I mute the TV and squint so that I don’t have to see what’s going on. He was the most obnoxious character on the show, IMHO. In addition, the writers never convinced me that Rory would be attracted to him.

I know from comments that Amy S-P made (I have the entire series on DVD, including commentary by the creators) that she liked Matt C and the Logan character very much, but I’ve read many blogs with people who think it was a bad idea to include him in the show. Just google any variation of JUMP THE SHARK GILMORE GIRLS and you will see what I mean.

• Nicole says:

There are plenty of liked minded people. I don’t like to watch beyond S3 (and even S2/3 is tainted by the heavy handed, drawn out triangle). Luke’s long lost kid storyline wouldn’t have been AS bad if it had been a younger kid by Rachel or Nicole, because we knew who they were and when he was with them.

ASP had trouble keeping the young men around, which resulted in a horrible number of boys pining for Princess. Ms. Sherman lost the original blond boy long ago and replaced him twice. I waited six years for that promise to be delivered, only to be disappointed.

The show would have been greatly improved if she gave her characters and story half the attention her dialogue got.

• Stephanie says:

I’ve been struggling to decide if I’ll watch this show or not. The previews look good, but I still feel like boycotting anything A S-P does because of the hatchet job she did to GG at the end of Season Six. Just thinking about what she did makes me so angry and it’s been YEARS! I own the first six seasons on DVD, but have refused to buy the last one because of the Chris/Lorelei storyline. I HATED every bit of it and it was her fault that they had to go that route.

I’ve also started wondering if there really were 4 words that she had in mind. She’s hinted at them for so long without ever telling what they were, that I’m thinking it’s time to call BS. Maybe it was just a publicity stunt she came up with years ago and never really had an ending written.

• Michelle says:

I own the first five and refuse to buy the last two. Or maybe I did just buy six, because it was about $10. I can’t even remember at this point. I prefer to pretend that season 4 is the series finale – Raincoats & Recipes = absolute perfection and my favorite episode of the show – and that Luke and Lorelai just live on in happiness, with a few bumps from trying to meld their lives together. No Christopher, no April, no secrets and shiftiness, and no really whiny Rory.

• Kshan says:

I agree. However, I do have the entire series, complete with commentaries by AMY S-P. What her comments imply is that she is envious of the filthy rich, so I suspect she wanted Christopher and Logan to “get the girls”. She especially liked the Logan character; I don’t know why.

I’ve decided to pass on “Bunheads”.

• meleliot says:

Stephanie – don’t cut off your nose to spite your face. You will be missing out on a wonderful series if you don’t watch Bunheads. The first episode is so beautifully done (the commericals do not do it justice!) Boycotting it won’t matter to anyone but you. Also, even though ASP “almost” ruined GG, there are a few wonderful moments in season 7 (the letter, Loreli singing at the bar, the very last episode) that completely wrap everything up in a satisfactory way. You should really get that last season. You will be happy and sad that you did. Actually I kind of envy you not having watched it yet because it has not really ended for you yet.

• Stephanie says:

Meleliot – I’ve seen every episode of GG, even Season 7. I just refused to buy that season because I absolutely hated every second with Christopher and Lorelei together. I did go ahead and watch the first episode of Bunheads. I felt like I was watching GG again – the music sounded the same and the mother was just as snotty and judgmental as ever. I liked most of the other characters (with the exception of Truly) but the end was not what I wanted – at least the part that I got to see since my DVR cut off the last minute.

• meleliot says:

Stephanie, obviously you are seriously PO’d at ASP, and believe, me I understand completely because I held onto that same Christopher/Loreli anger for a few years, but have decided to accept the fact that the WB and ASP, for whatever reason, could not come to an equitable agreement, and she lashed out. Unfortunately, it was the fans that ultimately paid the price. But I forgive her if she allows me to enter into another sleepy little town with quirky characters. ASP has taken a lot of flack for what she did. Maybe she learned her lesson. Sorry you are not as enamored with Bunheads as I.

• Becca says:

I completely agree with the Lorelai/Chris BS. I don’t even watch those episodes because Chris just pisses me off. Them being together was the worst idea ever.

9. lariet50 says:

I’ve watched every episode of “Gilmore Girls” multiple times, but I think I’m missing something on the “four words” thing. What is that about? The conversation at the diner in the final scene? I’ve never given much thought to what they were saying.

• Stacy says:

ASP once said she already knew what the last four words of dialogue would be for the entire Gilmore Girls series. She had it planned. Then, after contract disputes, she left the position of showrunner and therefore the final season was planned, written & executed by another person. We never found out what those words were.

10. oliviaasiala says:

I swear I read somewhere that the last words were supposed to be “you are adopted”

• Chris says:

Yeah. That was a JOKE that has spread because incredibly gullible people for some reason believe it might be true. Guess you’re a case in point!

11. flutiefan says:

aren’t the final four words:
    “I do.”
    “I do.”

that’s what i always figured.

12. Stormy says:

Until I see a GG reunion movie where Lorelai & Luke get married and Rory & Jess get back together, ASP can rot in Hades.

13. Cathy says:

Although I hate ASP for the absolute mess that Gilmore Girls became in its last two seasons, I love Kelly Bishop. She earned it, and she should have gotten a heck of a lot more accolades for her work on GG than she did. As such, maybe love will overcome hate.

14. Maggie says:

Yes, I too felt robbed by the end of season 6 and all of season 7, and never seeing the show through to where it needed to go. However, the world of Gilmore Girls is my favorite and I can watch the entire series over and over and over again (and I have, probably at least 6 or 7 times through, maybe more). I am excited for Bunheads and for the ASP charm to come back into my living room. I can never hate her b/c she created Gilmore Girls and that entire world – that’s a world I love!!!

15. Maddy says:

Bunheads has to be the dumbest name for a TV show ever. I like Sutton Foster, but I don’t know if I can get past the dorky name enough to tune in the show.

• Lea says:

I don’t think it’s that dumb. For those who know the term’s meaning, at least. Mind you, there is even a brand with the same name, which would be my objection to the title. ;-)

• meleliot says:

Really? You are basing your decision on whether or not to watch a show based on the name, especially when you know the pedigree of the people connected and what the show is about? Wow!

• Chris says:

It really is an awful title. I think fairly few people know its meaning, which makes it a poor choice. And it just plain sounds stupid. The show is good, but a lot of people will surely skip right past it because of the stinktastic title.

16. Kevin H. says:

Oh, Amy–welcome back! We’ve missed you.

17. noa says:

one of my 2 favorite writers talking about the other one. and, emmm, can i BE more excited about getting a new show from Arron Sorkin AND a new show from Amy Sherman-Palladino? i don’t think i can!

18. joosipa says:

what is the deal with last 4 word? can somebody help me…

• Becca says:

ASP said that she already knew what she wanted the last four words of the Gilmore Girls series would be, but since she wasn’t there for season 7 she never got to use them, and nobody knows what they were going to be.

19. GS says:

I really wish they would have kept MIOBI and finished that show the way it should have been (with the Olympics!) instead of focusing on another show. I’m out on this one. ABC Family is becoming notorius for keeping crap and bailing on good shows.

20. Mikael says:

I agree on Gilmore, Season 7 isn’t the worst. It just had the unfortunate task of fixing the awful mess that was Season SIX!! Luke’s handling of the daughter was cringeworthy. I mean, why would they need to postpone the wedding because he found out he had a daughter? It’s not like she was a baby and he needed time to take care of her. She was a teenager! And Lorelai & Rory took way too long to reconcile. It was just a mess. I actually prefer season 7 to 6. It’s funny to think how long ago the show ended, and yet so many people are still talking about it.

21. laylagalise says:

Maybe Miss Patty can have a cameo…

22. Carrie says:

I always thought the last 4 words were Rory saying to Lorele’ “Mom, I am pregnant”.

23. Brandy says:

I’m curious what were the last four words supposed to be? I liked seasons six and seven, but hated Lorelai/Chris but knew it wouldn’t last long. The finale was good but rushed.i don’t think Luke handled the April thing well but Anna didn’t either.I mean Luke waited two months before telling Lorelai about April?! Neither of them let Lorelai be around April, even though she knew about being a mom and would be Aprils stepmom and in her life for a years before April moved off to college.

24. S says:

Omg can she just effing write the script for a Gilmore Girls Movie? This is getting ridulous Amy!

• Suzie says:

Preach!

• J says:

I agree 100% with you! I need my Luke and Lorelai happily ever after picture perfect wedding! while yes it is implied they reconciled and got back together we the viewers didn’t get to see it and deserve to do so. Please Daniel, Amy, and all cast and crew make this happen! We miss Stars Hollow so much!

• Cheryle Maybury says:

I completely agree. If they don’t get a move on with the movie some of those wonderful characters may not be with us when the time comes. All GG fans want to see Luke & Lorelai’s wedding and we feel cheated that it hasn’t happened. You could write a movie about Rory coming home to get married and show flash backs to Luke & Lorelais wedding, it would be a huge hit, guaranteed.

25. DougMac says:

The 4 words is ridiculous at this point. I understand her being mad at the WB for the way things ended, but at this point just holding it back from the fans but constantly teasing it is just a s#!tty move on her part.

26. Jeffrey says:

The pilot was amazing. If anyone didn’t watch, be sure to catch up online or on demand. ASP has another winner on her hands.

27. Jill says:

Just finished watching! Lovely, amazing & wonderful! Gypsy in a dress, Emily in drag-like make-up. Can’t wait for next week1

28. Anon says:

I liked the end of Gilmore Girls. The start of season 7 was a bit off but I think it picked up at the end of the season, and I think the writers did a good job considering the way ASP left things at the end of season 6. Im not really interested in the four words as far im concerned the show is finished and i dont know why ASP is always going on about it- if she really cared why didn’t she just take the one season contract and write the ending she wanted. All that being said I do think ASP is great writer and I love Gilmore Girls seasons 1-4 , I think 5-6 had their moments but they weren’t that great. Back to Bunheads- the show looks promising so I will definitely check it out.

29. Annika says:

I just watched the pilot and it was great – yay for some good summer TV or, uh, summer TV at all!

30. Me says:

I think that wikipedia saya that ASP left GG after season 5. WB dis not renew her contract. Lauren Graham worked really hard to keep the show running even longer than what it was, but, couldn’t make it. Look forward to more Bunheads. Congrats to ASP for the new show and welcome back to the screen.

Writer and producer David Rosental replaced ASP in GG. Source Wilipedia

31. Sunny says:

Guess I’m the only one who didn’t love this show???

32. Mary Dallas says:

GG was & is, one of my fave shows of all time. I also hated the April/Christopher storyline but, as far as I’m concerned, the last episode tied up all the loose ends & hit a home run! All I really cared about was that Luke & Lorelai ended up together, and they did so, I’m a happy camper!

• ania says:

I still think it should have continued. I also think she should have waited and did Rory as a single mom with Logan’s baby.

33. Vanessa says:

I am going to die… she’s going to tell YOU!!!!!!!!!!! You must share it with us… my heart is going to stop!!!

34. If you are at all on the fence about watching “Bunheads” because of your feelings about Amy Sherman-Palladino, or the title or other reasons, just watch the dance scene with Kelly Bishop and Sutton Foster. That alone was enough to sell me on the pilot. Add to that the talented young dancers, and Alan Ruck playing the wonderful Hubbell Flowers and you’ve got a very promising show. I’ve only seen the first two episodes, but they were great.

35. ania says:

I was thinking you can do Gilmore girls Rory as the mom with Logan’s baby continue the series that way that was o.e of the better shows on t.v. and IM upset that still there is no moving forward i understand some shows have to end but putting a different swing o. Things and keeping the same premise would be great.

36. kathie says:

Time to do the movie before the actors change too much more. Seeing Rory in Madmen was already shock enough—not the right part for her on so many levels in my opinion.
    As a tribute to so many GG fans and followers, get the movie going before too much more time passes or we lose one of the many colorful citizens of Stars Hollow. Sounds morbid, but life happens.

37. Cheryle Maybury says:

Please put us all out of our misery, ASP and make a Gilmore movie to tie up all those loose ends. Does Luke & Lorelai finally get to tie the knot??? How does Rory’s career pan out??? What is Sookies 3rd child??? Does Lorelai ever have any more kids??? You are too cruel to leave so much up in the air with this series. There is so much more to say before we are prepared to leave Stars Hollow for good.

• Shannon says:

I agree with you a hundred percent. We really need a movie to finish up everything. I just can’t believe the show ended that way.. There was so much more to the story:(( I really want a movie

38. Becca says:

I still want a Gilmore Girls movie! There’s so much that I need to know still, even though it’s been over for five years. No show will ever be as good as Gilmore Girls. It’s the show I can always watch over and over again and not get sick of. There were so many questions left unanswered when it ended. Luke and Lorelai is the part that bothered me the most. They were, and still are my favorite couple, but all we got to see was them kiss and the look they gave each other in the Diner. There needs to be a movie! (Or another season would be amazing, but that’s not going to happen)

39. felisia says:

me too…i want gilmore girls countinued, at least the movie ……please….

40. Rose says:

I began watching The Gilmore Girls years after it ended (ty “thewb.com”). LOVE IT! This is my 3rd viewing of season six, and I have to agree…it was lackluster at best. Why take L&L to Martha’s Vineyard, only to have Luke act socially awkward and like a total country bumpkin? Why have Lorelai embarassed by him? I could go on and on…there were so many glaring missteps. While passionate, Luke was not dumb, and season six (April storyline, etc.) made him appear like a moron. Kirk’s funny highlights were too few and far between. I liked Logan and Rory together. However, Logan too suffered from inconsistencies…alternating between calling Rory out on her whining (spot-on) to being inexplicably drunk and rude to her. (Let’s face it, Rory always indulged in a bit of whining…she was just so lovable, we often forgave her for it.) End of season five was well played…Rory freaking out at the suggestion that she was not cut-out to pursue her life’s dream (journalism), and manipulating her boyfriend into stealing a boat (rather than feel the pain of her emotional upheaval). While Lorelai dwells in her own denial of estrangement from Rory and manipulates her boyfriend into a proposal. Like mother / like daughter. And while the whole show danced between emotional estrangement and unconditional love, season six lacked sophistication, wit and charm. Still, sign me up for the movie!

41. Ariah says:

I honestly didn’t hate the Christopher and Lorelai, but that is probably because it turned attention away from Luke and April. I think what ruined the show was the April story line. I love Luke but he handled that whole situation terribly and Lorelai would never had to go through that much pain and be stuck with Christopher if it weren’t for April coming in to the picture or at least Luke handling it the way he did. If he would have at least handled it better we would have gotten our perfect Luke and Lorelai wedding!

42. Ariah says:

43. kerry says:

I am so sad that Bunheads is not renewed. I still watch Gilmore Girls, one of my all time favorite shows next to Ugly Betty and Bunheads. I hope Amy has more in her bag of tricks, she is a good writer.

44. molly says:

I remember Amy S.P said once, she wanted to break Bonanza and Gunsmokes record. I hope Gilmore Girls comes back, with her storyline. 20 seasons or movies for gilmore girls, i just wish that. I would watch until Sid and Nancy go to collage and Lorelai and Luke are grandparents. Why we don’t keep our beloved shows for decades like in the good old times?!!!!

45. molly says:

Amys writing is slow, so it took so long to bring Luke and Lorelai together. I love that, because in life we take little steps. What I disliked is season 7. It seemed like they tryed to put story for at least 10 more seasons in one more. Everything seemed to be so rushed and I think it is because they didn’t give Amy the amount of seasons she needed, so that is why season 7 was another writer. Who was it? I don’t remember. Well, I really hated that April and Anna story because it was all a copy, she was smart like Rory, Anna looked like Lorelai and Luke and a kid that doesn’t fit (of course if it is Lorelais it does). Well I hated Gilmore Girls since this stupid April came, she ruined the show!!! I wished the show would continue in the slow storyline like it does, like we love and i hope we can see Luke and Lorelai raising their twins trough every single new year, we can see their birthdays and first steps, their first day at school and their first day at collage with their parents Luke and Lorelai. They have to move into the Twickham house We don’t know who is Mr. right for Rory, so show us. We want to see her work, getting married, want to see Luke and Lorelai going grandparents. We want to see every little step, without pushing the show. Yes, if Amy had 20 seasons, she would do film hat stuff in the slow Gilmore way. I don’t hope the 4 final words are “You are having twins” or something like that. Because that means the show ends with something we fans would love to see as a start/beginning. Who wouldn’t love to see Luke changing dipers, making Lorelai stop drinking coffee while she is pregnant, making a birthday cake for Sid and Nancys first birthday, show their kids how to ride a bike, going with them to school … and so on. Yes, If Amy had 20 seasons for Gilmore Girls for sure, she would give us the little steps trough all years of life with Lorelai, Luke, Sid and Nancy and Rory and her husband and her kids. Just keep April out of it!!! I’m sure Amy would make her not Lukes daughter, that it was a lie or something.