Vampire Diaries' Nina Dobrev: Elena Is Going to 'Freak Out' Over Her Bloodsucker Fate

As you might imagine, The Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev was rather surprised by the events of the Season 3 finale, as the brunette beauty shares in this red carpet interview with TVLine.

Elena herself, meanwhile, is sure to “freak out” once she realizes how she was plucked from the ashes in the finale and the price tag that comes with it.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Boss Talks Season 4, More ‘Mean Girl’ Rebekah, Killing Klaus and Graduation!

Dobrev also discusses how she as an actress will tackle this new take on Elena — and I just may have given her the best way to visualize her second bloodsucker role. (P.S. Pardon my instinctual pronunciation of “Stefan”; blame too many episodes of General Hospital).

1. Kim (@AD76) says:

I’ve always thought that they pronounced Stefan wrong. I prefer the “General Hospital” pronunciation myself. Looking forward to seeing how Elena comes to terms with being a vampire. I wasn’t expecting that at the end of the season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

I remember my very first time interviewing Nina about TVD, before it ever premiered, and I said to her, “Really? We’re going with the ‘Steffin’ version?”

• SPgirl123 says:

My cousin just named her baby Stefan (she says StephIN). She acts totally bewildered when people pronounce it stefAN. Then she gets all pissed off. When, in actuality, they are just pronouncing it the way it is meant to be pronounced.

• Starla says:

I always find myself saying StefAN in my head when reading about it.

• SteFAN says:

Matt, you don’t need to apologize for using the CORRECT pronunciation for SteFAN’s name… That is an Italian name, and being a born and bred Italian, I can assure you that that is the way that name should be pronounced…not SteFIN, for Pete’s sake!…That just sounds ridiculous…

2. Ari says:

Oh honey, Elena’s not likeable because she was written badly this year. Hopefully vampire Elena will be written better. I really hope they take the summer break to refocus on making main characters you can root for again.

• Kathryn says:

I wouldn’t count on that happening since Julie Plec thinks she poops gold bricks and everything she’s written is golden. If you listen to Plec yammering on she describes the characters as one way and writes them in another. She has no real clue who these characters are or how to write for them. And neither do most of these new writers they’ve hired. It might also help if Plec didn’t think she had to make the boring Elena character the center of every story line. To be honest, I expect her to be just as boring and self-righteous and hypocritical as a vampire as she was a human.

• tarc says:

Wow… I’d say that ‘boring’ and ‘self-righteous’ is more than a little of a pot/kettle situation here. I’m sure the show you write is just *so* much better, and your sunning attitude is so winsome!

• keera says:

Beautiful reply….smart

• ella says:

Amen, tarc.

• guest says:

Do you know what pot/kettle means. I think that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. “You don’t write for a television show so you’re not allowed to have an opinion about the shows you watch as a fan.” Are you for real? Elena is an incredibly boring and self-righteous character and if you can’t see that, you’re watching another show.

• Jack says:

Such a teenage girl reply. You should just write “Your Jealous!” next time, it would be saying the same thing. So I guess you’ve never criticized ANYTHING unless you’ve actually done it professionally first, huh? LMAO. You silly kids.

• Mikael says:

Julie Plec also thinks that she’s given Bonnie and Matt decent storylines this season! All I remember is Bonnie getting a deep story like her mother abandoning her, and then being shipped away to offscreenville for a while until they needed her to cast a spell. This season was so annoying with the I love Stefan, but I’m drawn to Damon it was getting hard to sit through. I thought it was finally over, but obviously now that Elena is a vampire, she’s going to have to go back to toying with both brothers. I wish Stefan and Damon would tell Elena that neither of them want her anymore because she’s such a tease.

• Bored to tears says:

You are absolutely right…and you also have the right to express your opinion. Since when are we not allowed to do that? Oh, I forgot…some people are not just Delena or Stelena shippers, they are Plec bitches…lmfao

3. Caygri says:

choooseee Damon! Damn!

4. Tran says:

Nina Dobrev is still one of hottest female TV stars I’ve ever seen and her character Elena is even hotter than ever before. :-)

5. Elle says:

Do not care about Elena. BRING BACK KATHERINE!!

6. Phil says:

Elena and Katherine were quite the same, but Kat was sluttier and Elena had that weird Bella-like poker face. She needs acting lessons, if she wants to differ those characters.

• lll says:

I actually thought Nina did a good job seperating Katherine from Elena. The mere look and attitude was enough to seperate them and that was before either of them spoke. Now with Elena being a vampire it is going to be more difficult to seperate the two but I know Nina will do a good job.

• astrid says:

Me too. I think she did a great job sperating them and I am excited to see how she will continue.
        I am not that fond of Elena as a character and I do prefer other story-lines, so I can imagine what people mean with “boring”… but I don’t really get what people mean with “self-righteous” and that being so effing evident.
        How did her being self-righteous manifest? I don’t remember that. Could sb explain?
        Greetings

• Brooke says:

I thought Nina did a good job portraying the two Doppleganger women differently. She reminded me a little bit (but not quite at the level of) Amy Acker on Angel. Playing Fred didn’t seem like it took a lot of acting chops, but once she had to switch between Ilyria and Fred, it became quite evident that I wasn’t giving Amy Acker enough credit for her talents.

• In complete agreement, if nina wants to learn how to act two different roles well in one TV show watch the entire series of Buffy and Angel, not only do you have boreanaz as Angel/us and Acker as Fred and Illyria but there are random episodes throughout both series in which sever of the actors play different roles or versions of themselves! Personally id be happiest if we just let Caroline be the main character!

7. Seriously Elena is the most boring character out of all of them, which is bad since she is the main character! I literally skipped some of her scenes towards the end cuz it was just the same old spiel! Would have been more epic if they had just killed her!

• TV fan says:

I couldn’t agree more, to make her Katherine 2.0 doesn’t make Elena interesting, it makes her redundant.

• guest says:

Agreed. They really don’t make Elena any more interesting than the “moral” one. She’s actually incredibly selfish and self-involved and tends to make everything about her yet she’s always the “selfless” moral one.

• tarc says:

Obviously, many people disagree.

• Ryan says:

Calm down tarc, people are entitled to their own opinions.

Honestly I really don’t like Elena either. I think she’s very self-centered as she is written, though she is far more tolerable than the “it girl” Elena of the books. I’ve grown to be a much bigger fan of Caroline and her storylines with the brothers Salvatore than Elena. I got really sick of the “I love two brothers, woe is me” storyline this season. I too hope they focus more on developing the characters as individuals and not as they relate to each other romantically this season.

• tarc says:

Repeat what you just said to yourself, then wonder why you bothered replying. I am.

• Temperence says:

I’m with you, tarc. Elena’s been drawn far more interestingly than these ‘folks’ seem to be able to recognize. I agree that this season, her writing has been less stellar, but they didn;t have the same amount of time with all that plotline and all those additional characters to spend a ton of time on introspection and monologing.

8. Fabian says:

I liked the interviewer’s description. One is the vampire with a heart of gold, and the other is Katherine. Haha, Katherine does not even need defining…she’s that freakin’ awesome!

9. guest says:

I love your pronounciation of Stefan. My mom has been watching TVD for three yearas now and she still calls them Stefon, Damien and Ellena.

10. wordsmith says:

Now I have this sudden craving to see Bill Hader as Stefon Salvatore the flamboyant emo vampire. That would be an unexpected twist…

11. BL says:

I have commented on this before but I’ll say it again: TVD’s strengths are not the characters names. The fact that there would be a family in rural Virginia with the last name of Salvatore during the Civil War is ridiculous. Everytime they do a CW flashback, I want to scream. Its like read a freaking history book Pelc. I know that they used the names from the novel but they changed where the Salvatores were from but COME ON!!

• tarc says:

Um, it’s not ridiculous in the slightest bit. I’ll invite you to review the US census documentation for that period…

• tarc says:

Sorry, to be clearer… do you seriously believe that there were no Italian surnamed residents of Virginia (an original colony and an Atlantic port state) nearly 100 years after independence and 254 years after the first landing in Plymouth?

• alpine says:

omg tarc take a chill pill. stop attacking everyone who has criticisms about the show.

• Temperence says:

OMG, stop posint under several names because your douchiness is shining through! And the exaggeration. If you can’t form a legitimate response, it’s always mindnumbingly pointless to tell someone on a blog what to do. At best, you’ll be ignored. It’s not like Katherine, guest, and BL didn’t say something completely stupid – and none of them bothered to respond. Why are you?

• yeah okay. says:

^…. wait what? I can’t figure out who you’re attacking….. maybe try forming a ‘legitimate response’ next time because I think yours is ‘mindnumbingly pointless’.

• Temperence says:

Wow, another alias.

• Brooke says:

“Salvatore” came straight from the original books, not Julie Plec. To be fair, I can’t recall if the books based the brothers in Civil War America or not.

• Manie says:

To answer your question, in the books Damon and Stefan are way older than they are in the TV Show and do come from Italy. :D

12. Tee says:

Here’s hoping now that Elena’s a vampire that every single episode next season won’t involve having to save her.

• Ava says:

Or her threatening to kill herself. She only had two lines all season, “I love Stefan…but I have feelings for Damon.” and an oldie but a goodie “If you don’t let him/her go I’ll kill myself…”

• astrid says:

you are so correct, I did not think of that! This SHOULD improve things!

13. Jack says:

Hey, Tarc, I got an idea how to streamline all your replies. Just copy and paste the following.

“Hello, I’m Tarc, and if you don’t think TVD is the greatest TV show ever made, you’re just dumb!”

14. Edward says:

I have a strong feeling that Katherine will be the main antagonist for the first half of the season just because Mystic Fall is “Klaus Free” and now she can do what she wants, well i hope that happens! Talking about Elena, she is complicated, i don’t say boring because she’s not, she’s a “teenager” and nobody can tell you what to do with what you feel if you keep thinking about everybody’s sake and don’t want to hurt them! for me it’s ok cuz i quite understand her but she needs to grow up for once!, every decision has its consecuence and she must choose and live according whatever it happens after, i don’t want her to be between the brothers over and over again till the season finale because seriously THAT WILL BE REALLY REALLY BORING!!!

15. Marc says:

HELP: I watch TVD and get confused about certain intricate and important plot points. For instance, The Doppleganger. Why is (was) Elena Katherine’s doppleganger? Who created her and why?

• Edward says:

A Petrova Doppelganger is estimated to be born once every 500 years. Esther used Tatia’s blood to turn her family into vampire’s, the creation of the vampire species, and also, used Tatia’s blood to curse Klaus, with the Hybrid curse so it’s implied that Tatia is exactly physically identical to her descendents Katherine and Elena.

16. Rodrigo says:

Es hermosa y muy buena en su trabajo