TVLine Items: Jake Lacy Out, T.J. Miller In on Goodwin Games, Doctor Who First Look and More

Comedy Central staple T.J. Miller has been tapped to replace Jake Lacy (Better With You) as the third lead (opposite Becki Newton and Scott Foley) in Fox’s new fall comedy, The Goodwin Games.

Per our sister site, Deadline, Miller impressed both Fox and 20th Century Fox TV execs so much with his work on their failed pilot, Little Brother, that they’ve been looking for ways to “keep him in the fold.” Enter: The Goodwin Games.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

The high-concept series — premiering at midseason — follows three estranged siblings who are forced to come together in order to inherit their late father’s fortune.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

BBC has released a sneak peek of Doctor Who with his brand-new Season 7 companion (played by Jenna-Louise Coleman). Take a peek below!

Glee‘s Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer and Amber Riley will act as mentors during the current second season of Oxygen’s The Glee Project. Also on board to assist the new contestants is returning mentor Darren Criss. Exec producer Ryan Murphy revealed the news to reporters following a panel in Los Angeles on Thursday night.

RELATED | Cory Monteith and Naya Rivera Visit The Glee Project

• Los Angeles Lakers star Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest) will make his acting debut in Lifetime Movie Network’s upcoming adaptation of Nancy Grace’s novel, The Eleventh Victim. Per TV Guide Magazine, the basketball player — who became fast friends with Grace during their time together on Season 13 of Dancing With the Stars — will play a detective working with Jennie Garth’s Assistant District Attorney.

• Season 2 of Cinemax’s Strike Back will kick off with two back-to-back episodes on Friday, Aug. 17, EW.com reports.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Summer says:

Awww. :( I loved Jake Lacy on Better With You, and was really looking forward to seeing how he played off of Scott Foley and Becki Newton.

2. Steven says:

Poor Jake. He’s so adorable I was hoping this could be his big break. Stinks because I really cannot stand TJ Miller.

3. beej says:

Thanks for the BBC link to the article and picture… they look a little awkward.
    But seriously… looking at the picture, who holds their fingers like that???

4. AJ says:

TJ Miller was hilarious as Marmaduke on Carpoolers or whatever that show was called.

5. Louise says:

Why is Jake being replaced?

6. Gilda says:

I’d hoped that the new companion might not be contemporary, but that outfit looks pretty modern earth. With the whole of space and time as options, he wouldn’t realistically take this many companions from earth early 21st century. The original series who had more variety with that. But ah welll, I’m still so psyched!

7. Patrick says:

That Jake guy is SUPER annoying. He comes off as one of those guys who has a completely unreasonable self confidence. In that Better with you show, he was the weak link. The hard working guy was portrayed as this annoying wuss, while the slacker just had things handed to him. I got the same vibe from the Goodwin Games trailor. TJ Miller is hilarious. This just jumped to the top of my Watch List.

• Scott says:

He wasn’t the weak link in Better With You. I watched BWY because I loved Committed which starred Josh Cooke and Jennifer Finnigan and they have good chemistry but Jake Lacy’s Casey was the show stealer. He was why I ended up tuning in every week and I’m disappointed he won’t be in this new show.

8. Martin says:

If it wasn’t for Becki Newton i wouldn’t even check this out, terrible.

He was the best part of Better With You, a lot of people thought that.

I liked his role in the promo.

It feels like the network are only doing this because they want TJ Miller in a role on their network.

9. Andy Neumann says:

“I wear vests under my jacket now. Vests are cool.”

10. DreamRose311 says:

I was so excited for Goodwin Games… somewhat less so now. Especially reading negative opinions on Miller… I hope it’s still as good. Lacy seemed like such a great fit in the trailer

11. Mary says:

No idea who T.J. Miller is but I do know who Jake Lacy is. So to hear that he’s been replaced is upsetting and makes me not want to check out the show.

12. Paige says:

That’s kinda a shame. Trailer wise, The Goodwin Games was probably one of the shows I was most interested in seeing. I hope the shake up among the cast doesn’t affect the show to much.

13. Patricia says:

Yay finally some Strike Back news I love that show. Obsessed actually.

14. Jon says:

Now, if they’ll only replace Becki Newton. That’s who I have a problem with. She’s too abrasive.

15. W says:

Ew. I just looked up T.J. Miller on google images and youtube. Not impressed. Downgrade.

16. Lauren says:

i’m gunna miss the ponds :(

17. darcywilson says:

And the show just died.
    Jake Lacy is hot as hell. TJ Miller looks like a clown. I like him, but he’s no looker like Jake Lacy.

18. not a fan of the casting switch — #thumbsdown

19. Che says:

That casting switch is bad bad BAD, and a down on the female demo. C’mon! A hottie like Jake Lacy was one of the main reasons to watch the show for starters.

20. Brian says:

Won’t be watching this now…

21. David says:

Hollywood does the strangest things. They always seem to like certain actors and comedians, and keep pushing them at us although audiences say “no, thank you.” Anyone remember Paul Sand in the 70s?

See my point?

22. Gail says:

Amy and Rory appear in the first 5 episodes of season 7 of Doctor Who. Description of episode 5 which is last episode before a break. The series will resume with the Chrstmas episode. Per a Doctor Who fansite:

Amy and Rory’s last ever episode and will also feature the return of River Song. The story will take place in 30s New York with filming on location. They will face the Weeping Angels for a “final encounter.” Karen Gillan said that Amy dying is a possibility. Moffat has promised a “heartbreaking” end and “Not everybody gets out alive – and I mean it this time!”

Filming reports: Central Park, More Central Park, Tudor City, Brooklyn Bridge Park,
    Guest starring: Alex Kingston (River), Michael McShane (Dr Grayle), Rob David (Sam Garner), Bentley Kalu (Sophisticated Hood).

Since it is the Weeping Angels I would guess Amy and/or Rory could be sent back in time and when found by the Doctor be very old or even dead. Seems obvious so i hope it is something else.

23. Nick says:

Bring Jake Lacey Back.. So sad. He’s so funny Loved Him..

24. smart tv liker says:

Has the Goodwin Games been cancelled or renewed? Does anyone know?