TVLine Items: Jake Lacy Out, T.J. Miller In on Goodwin Games, Doctor Who First Look and More

Comedy Central staple T.J. Miller has been tapped to replace Jake Lacy (Better With You) as the third lead (opposite Becki Newton and Scott Foley) in Fox’s new fall comedy, The Goodwin Games.

Per our sister site, Deadline, Miller impressed both Fox and 20th Century Fox TV execs so much with his work on their failed pilot, Little Brother, that they’ve been looking for ways to “keep him in the fold.” Enter: The Goodwin Games.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

The high-concept series — premiering at midseason — follows three estranged siblings who are forced to come together in order to inherit their late father’s fortune.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

BBC has released a sneak peek of Doctor Who with his brand-new Season 7 companion (played by Jenna-Louise Coleman). Take a peek below!

Glee‘s Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer and Amber Riley will act as mentors during the current second season of Oxygen’s The Glee Project. Also on board to assist the new contestants is returning mentor Darren Criss. Exec producer Ryan Murphy revealed the news to reporters following a panel in Los Angeles on Thursday night.

RELATED | Cory Monteith and Naya Rivera Visit The Glee Project

• Los Angeles Lakers star Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest) will make his acting debut in Lifetime Movie Network’s upcoming adaptation of Nancy Grace’s novel, The Eleventh Victim. Per TV Guide Magazine, the basketball player — who became fast friends with Grace during their time together on Season 13 of Dancing With the Stars — will play a detective working with Jennie Garth’s Assistant District Attorney.

• Season 2 of Cinemax’s Strike Back will kick off with two back-to-back episodes on Friday, Aug. 17, EW.com reports.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (39)

• Awww. :( I loved Jake Lacy on Better With You, and was really looking forward to seeing how he played off of Scott Foley and Becki Newton.

Comment by Summer – June 8, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I’m so disappointed to hear he’s been replaced.

Comment by Brandi B (@AReelWoman) – June 8, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This sucks! I loved Jake and was so looking forward to the show having three of my favorite actors. I’m not a big fan of TJ Miller. This just made the show less appealing to me. I’ll still check it out though.

Comment by t.t – June 8, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ditto! Wish he could’ve stayed!

Comment by Leah – June 8, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely agree. He was the reason I’d be tuning in.

Comment by John Berggren – June 8, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yep, I LOVED Jake Lacy in Better With You(best thing about that show) so I was looking forward to this strictly for him. Doubtful I’ll be tuning in now.

Comment by ChrisGa – June 8, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 100% agree. I won’t be watching this now. I wonder why he was replaced?

Comment by Scott – June 9, 2012 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here…I really liked him on Better With You…

Comment by Josh – June 8, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I did too and he was that perfect blend of sweetness and irresponsible in the trailer that made me think this show was going to be awesome.

Comment by Drewer – June 8, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. He was very good in Better With You (R.I.P. sweet little show) and he’s infinitely more attractive than that other guy!

Comment by Lisa London – June 8, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Jake. He’s so adorable I was hoping this could be his big break. Stinks because I really cannot stand TJ Miller.

Comment by Steven – June 8, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%. TJ Miller is unbelievably annoying. Jake is a major cutie so this is a shame.

Comment by Mark – June 8, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. Jake Lacy is so much better than TJ Miller. Bad move Fox. Bad move.

Comment by guest – June 8, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adorable yes. Big break needs to be on Showtime.

Comment by John Berggren – June 8, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the BBC link to the article and picture… they look a little awkward.
    But seriously… looking at the picture, who holds their fingers like that???

Comment by beej – June 8, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TJ Miller was hilarious as Marmaduke on Carpoolers or whatever that show was called.

Comment by AJ – June 8, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Jake being replaced?

Comment by Louise – June 8, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d hoped that the new companion might not be contemporary, but that outfit looks pretty modern earth. With the whole of space and time as options, he wouldn’t realistically take this many companions from earth early 21st century. The original series who had more variety with that. But ah welll, I’m still so psyched!

Comment by Gilda – June 8, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Jake guy is SUPER annoying. He comes off as one of those guys who has a completely unreasonable self confidence. In that Better with you show, he was the weak link. The hard working guy was portrayed as this annoying wuss, while the slacker just had things handed to him. I got the same vibe from the Goodwin Games trailor. TJ Miller is hilarious. This just jumped to the top of my Watch List.

Comment by Patrick – June 8, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wasn’t the weak link in Better With You. I watched BWY because I loved Committed which starred Josh Cooke and Jennifer Finnigan and they have good chemistry but Jake Lacy’s Casey was the show stealer. He was why I ended up tuning in every week and I’m disappointed he won’t be in this new show.

Comment by Scott – June 9, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it wasn’t for Becki Newton i wouldn’t even check this out, terrible.

He was the best part of Better With You, a lot of people thought that.

I liked his role in the promo.

It feels like the network are only doing this because they want TJ Miller in a role on their network.

Comment by Martin – June 8, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I wear vests under my jacket now. Vests are cool.”

Comment by Andy Neumann – June 8, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so excited for Goodwin Games… somewhat less so now. Especially reading negative opinions on Miller… I hope it’s still as good. Lacy seemed like such a great fit in the trailer

Comment by DreamRose311 – June 8, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No idea who T.J. Miller is but I do know who Jake Lacy is. So to hear that he’s been replaced is upsetting and makes me not want to check out the show.

Comment by Mary – June 8, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s kinda a shame. Trailer wise, The Goodwin Games was probably one of the shows I was most interested in seeing. I hope the shake up among the cast doesn’t affect the show to much.

Comment by Paige – June 8, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay finally some Strike Back news I love that show. Obsessed actually.

Comment by Patricia – June 8, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, if they’ll only replace Becki Newton. That’s who I have a problem with. She’s too abrasive.

Comment by Jon – June 8, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ew. I just looked up T.J. Miller on google images and youtube. Not impressed. Downgrade.

Comment by W – June 8, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m gunna miss the ponds :(

Comment by Lauren – June 8, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the show just died.
    Jake Lacy is hot as hell. TJ Miller looks like a clown. I like him, but he’s no looker like Jake Lacy.

Comment by darcywilson – June 9, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Lacy is very hot and Miller is….well I’ll be kind and say less hot :).

Comment by ChrisGa – June 9, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not a fan of the casting switch — #thumbsdown

Comment by ken palminteri (@whataboutken) – June 9, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That casting switch is bad bad BAD, and a down on the female demo. C’mon! A hottie like Jake Lacy was one of the main reasons to watch the show for starters.

Comment by Che – June 9, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Won’t be watching this now…

Comment by Brian – June 9, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollywood does the strangest things. They always seem to like certain actors and comedians, and keep pushing them at us although audiences say “no, thank you.” Anyone remember Paul Sand in the 70s?

See my point?

Comment by David – June 9, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy and Rory appear in the first 5 episodes of season 7 of Doctor Who. Description of episode 5 which is last episode before a break. The series will resume with the Chrstmas episode. Per a Doctor Who fansite:

Amy and Rory’s last ever episode and will also feature the return of River Song. The story will take place in 30s New York with filming on location. They will face the Weeping Angels for a “final encounter.” Karen Gillan said that Amy dying is a possibility. Moffat has promised a “heartbreaking” end and “Not everybody gets out alive – and I mean it this time!”

Filming reports: Central Park, More Central Park, Tudor City, Brooklyn Bridge Park,
    Guest starring: Alex Kingston (River), Michael McShane (Dr Grayle), Rob David (Sam Garner), Bentley Kalu (Sophisticated Hood).

Since it is the Weeping Angels I would guess Amy and/or Rory could be sent back in time and when found by the Doctor be very old or even dead. Seems obvious so i hope it is something else.

Comment by Gail – June 10, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Jake Lacey Back.. So sad. He’s so funny Loved Him..

Comment by Nick – June 12, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has the Goodwin Games been cancelled or renewed? Does anyone know?

Comment by smart tv liker – July 15, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post