Ratings: Duets Drops Again, The Choice Looks Good, Saving Hope Is Hurting

Of this Thursday’s three summer premieres, Fox’s The Choice fared best, drawing 4.2 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating and building significantly on its so-so lead-in. That demo number won it the 9 o’clock hour (over the second half of Duets and a Person of Interest rerun) and marks a 31 percent improvement over what the Touch finale did here a week ago.

Leading into The Choice, Fox’s Take Me Out placed third at 8 pm in total viewers (with 3.3 mil) and was a distant second in the demo (behind CBS comedy repeats).

RELATED | Does Saving Hope Have a Special ‘Flare’? Did The Killing Make You LOL? And More TV Qs!

And then there was NBC’s Saving Hope, which debuted to 3.1 mil and a 0.7 rating — down 20 and 36 percent from the America’s Got Talent repeat that filled the time slot a week ago. In the 9 o’clock hour, the supernatural-tinged medical drama placed fourth in viewers and the demo.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Premiere and Finale Dates!

Elsewhere on the night….

* ABC’s Duets dropped for a second straight week, down 12 and 20 percent to 5.2 mil and a 1.2. (Read Michael Slezak’s recap.)  Rookie Blue (5.4 mil/1.3) dipped just a smidgen.

* The CW’s Breaking Pointe drew 688,000 viewers and a 0.2 in its second outing, down 26 and 33 percent from its bow.

* Rock Center With Brian Williams christened its new time slot with 3.2 mil and a 0.7, down 36 and 53 percent from last Thursday’s AGT repeat. Yeah, that’s gonna do really well in the fall against new, juicy Scandals and CBS’ buzzy Sherlock Holmes series.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What Will Be on When, and Versus What

* A Big Bang Theory encore again topped Thursday in both total audience (with 8.2 million viewers) and in the demo (scoring a 2.1).

1. Vanessa says:

I still have hope (pun intended) that Saving Hope will start to do well in the ratings.We need to have Erica Durance on TV again. But if it does fail in the US, at least, we here in Canada will probably still have her on our TVs

2. Melanie says:

I watched Saving Hope and think it has potential… I am willing to give it another look next week.

3. Ehhh saving Hope has the potential…I was not satisfied at all though. I will keep watching it though

• uh huh says:

This is me. I wanted to love it. I wanted to be drawn in. But I wasn’t. The premiere episode of A Gifted Man was 1000x better.

• meleliot says:

Saying the premier of A Gifted Man was “1000x better” will definitely keep me from watching Saving Hope, as I thought A Gifted Man was a complete and total snooze fest. The only thing I’m watching on Thursday night is repeats of Big Bang Theory and Rookie Blue. Looking forward to Suits and Burn Notice next week, and Awkward on June 28th.

• ohreally troll says:

Maybe someone who liked the Gifted Man pilot so much isn’t the best source for your tv baseline.
          Jes sayin.

4. Nick says:

Isn’t the Mentalist moving to Sundays in the fall?

5. Jo says:

I enjoyed the pilot of Saving Hope, but I don’t think I would have liked it that much if it hadn’t starred Erica Durance and Michael Shanks etc!

6. Andie says:

The Choice is just stupid. Saving Hope looks like a decent show.

7. TV Watcher says:

People should be watching Breaking Pointe. If the choice is the ick factor of 10-Take Me Out or Breaking Pointe, there is no choice, BP is a well done reality/docu-series.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. Caught the first episode during a rerun and enjoyed it. It’s an interesting world to get a peek into.

8. Anji says:

You really shouldn’t knock a show without watching it. The “Saving Hope” premiere was fantastic. You got an immediate sense of who the characters were, while still having questions about how they might develop. The premise is completely awesome, and Michael Shanks & Erica Durance were amazing. I for one will be tuning in next week.

9. Ms. Chanandler Bong says:

Saving Hope was ok, but I would watch Daniel Gilles read the phone book so I’ll probably catch it on Hulu.

10. Cassie says:

Although there were a couple of characters I didn’t like, I liked it well enough to look forward to next week, when the cute doc would come out of his coma and marry the other cute doc … BUT WAIT! WHAT’S THIS??? One look at the website tells me this is going to go on and on … and …on …and …on … and…. on ……. HOLD ON!!! All of a sudden I don’t give a damn. Read my lips! NO MORE FRICKIN’ GHOSTS!!! NO, NO, NO! Sick of them. How about something ORIGINAL????

• tHeMaNwHoLaUgHs says:

LOL! I really don’t mind ghost stories, but as U alluded to, this is a closed ended premise that would “drag on” if picked up. Networks should revive the mini-series concept or a clearly defined one-season only show.

For example… “The Event” & “V” should have been conceived, filmed & aired as 13-22 episode show. ONE half or full season, that’s it). At some the humans had to win (or lose) or negotiate a some kind of treaty, otherwise the show draaaaags on – fight after fight until viewers tire & it is uncermoniously dropped without resolution. Saving Hope’s premise can’t realistically be sustained.

11. Nikki says:

Rookie Blue! Great show! More people should watch it. The chemistry within all the characters make the show. COME ON SEASON 4!!!!

• Stormy says:

I got annoyed at the scene when the cop was talking to the kid that just got paroled. There was so much background noise that I had to strain to hear and lip read a little.

12. Kristina says:

I liked Saving Hope. Maybe it will do better in the coming weeks, assuming it lasts that long.

13. Nola says:

Saving Hope I was disappointend I will not look the episode 2 . Actors are pieces of wood . Delete Saving Hope !

14. Danielle H says:

Saving Hope was alright.. I will only give it one or 2 more episodes though. It just wasn’t great by any means, and none of the cast other then the love triangle stand out at all.

15. eliza says:

I liked Saving Hope. I will keep watching, just to see Erica Durance.

16. tvdiva says:

I really want Saving Hope to succeed, but the pilot episode left me feeling underwhelmed. I will DVR the show from now on and watch it later.

17. Carrie says:

I try not to make an opinion of a show till after about 3 episodes in. But these are my first thoughts
    The choise (why, oh why,………..)
    I didn’t see take me out (disintrest) probably never will
    Saving Hope (it’s okay but need to see more eps to make a decision but I like med. drama’s so I’m biased)

18. gabriel says:

DELETE saving hope was bad! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

19. Saving Hope in my opinion doesn’t really stand out. There has been so many medical dramas, it’s really hard to top ER, Greys Anatomy and even House. Great actors but the writing is dull in saving hope. After all the promotion that show got, it’s a dissapointment. If I were the actors I would be looking for another job.

20. sarah says:

I love Rookie Blue, I am so happy that a show filmed in Canada is doingh well, eventhough it had a slight dip! I liked Saving Hope, which also films in Canada. I will keep watching it however as it is on NBC I think it will be cancelled!

21. Velvet says:

I watched Saving Hope based on the supernatural premise. I was/am a big Ghost Whisperer fan. After watching it, I was disappointed it was slow and not as ‘ghosty’ as I had hoped. However, I understand that character introduction takes time. The show has potential and I will give it another try this week.

22. I love the duets &all the judges I love Jennifer & robin, I am pulling for them hope they continue to air give them a chance hope to see them next season