Ratings: Duets Drops Again, The Choice Looks Good, Saving Hope Is Hurting

Get More: News, Ratings

Of this Thursday’s three summer premieres, Fox’s The Choice fared best, drawing 4.2 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating and building significantly on its so-so lead-in. That demo number won it the 9 o’clock hour (over the second half of Duets and a Person of Interest rerun) and marks a 31 percent improvement over what the Touch finale did here a week ago.

Leading into The Choice, Fox’s Take Me Out placed third at 8 pm in total viewers (with 3.3 mil) and was a distant second in the demo (behind CBS comedy repeats).

RELATED | Does Saving Hope Have a Special ‘Flare’? Did The Killing Make You LOL? And More TV Qs!

And then there was NBC’s Saving Hope, which debuted to 3.1 mil and a 0.7 rating — down 20 and 36 percent from the America’s Got Talent repeat that filled the time slot a week ago. In the 9 o’clock hour, the supernatural-tinged medical drama placed fourth in viewers and the demo.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Premiere and Finale Dates!

Elsewhere on the night….

* ABC’s Duets dropped for a second straight week, down 12 and 20 percent to 5.2 mil and a 1.2. (Read Michael Slezak’s recap.)  Rookie Blue (5.4 mil/1.3) dipped just a smidgen.

* The CW’s Breaking Pointe drew 688,000 viewers and a 0.2 in its second outing, down 26 and 33 percent from its bow.

* Rock Center With Brian Williams christened its new time slot with 3.2 mil and a 0.7, down 36 and 53 percent from last Thursday’s AGT repeat. Yeah, that’s gonna do really well in the fall against new, juicy Scandals and CBS’ buzzy Sherlock Holmes series.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: Your Guide to What Will Be on When, and Versus What

* A Big Bang Theory encore again topped Thursday in both total audience (with 8.2 million viewers) and in the demo (scoring a 2.1).

Comments (33)

• I still have hope (pun intended) that Saving Hope will start to do well in the ratings.We need to have Erica Durance on TV again. But if it does fail in the US, at least, we here in Canada will probably still have her on our TVs

Comment by Vanessa – June 8, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% AGREE with you. ;) :D

Comment by Vannesa – June 8, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too, I really enjoyed it. What is the situation with Canadian airing? Does it air the same night or something? How did it do?

Comment by Lauren – June 8, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Saving Hope and think it has potential… I am willing to give it another look next week.

Comment by Melanie – June 8, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ehhh saving Hope has the potential…I was not satisfied at all though. I will keep watching it though

Comment by Nicole MacGregor (@destinoscelgo) – June 8, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is me. I wanted to love it. I wanted to be drawn in. But I wasn’t. The premiere episode of A Gifted Man was 1000x better.

Comment by uh huh – June 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Saying the premier of A Gifted Man was “1000x better” will definitely keep me from watching Saving Hope, as I thought A Gifted Man was a complete and total snooze fest. The only thing I’m watching on Thursday night is repeats of Big Bang Theory and Rookie Blue. Looking forward to Suits and Burn Notice next week, and Awkward on June 28th.

Comment by meleliot – June 8, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe someone who liked the Gifted Man pilot so much isn’t the best source for your tv baseline.
          Jes sayin.

Comment by ohreally troll – June 8, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t the Mentalist moving to Sundays in the fall?

Comment by Nick – June 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good point, I shall fix.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 8, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the pilot of Saving Hope, but I don’t think I would have liked it that much if it hadn’t starred Erica Durance and Michael Shanks etc!

Comment by Jo – June 8, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Choice is just stupid. Saving Hope looks like a decent show.

Comment by Andie – June 8, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People should be watching Breaking Pointe. If the choice is the ick factor of 10-Take Me Out or Breaking Pointe, there is no choice, BP is a well done reality/docu-series.

Comment by TV Watcher – June 8, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Caught the first episode during a rerun and enjoyed it. It’s an interesting world to get a peek into.

Comment by tripoli – June 8, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You really shouldn’t knock a show without watching it. The “Saving Hope” premiere was fantastic. You got an immediate sense of who the characters were, while still having questions about how they might develop. The premise is completely awesome, and Michael Shanks & Erica Durance were amazing. I for one will be tuning in next week.

Comment by Anji – June 8, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saving Hope was ok, but I would watch Daniel Gilles read the phone book so I’ll probably catch it on Hulu.

Comment by Ms. Chanandler Bong – June 8, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although there were a couple of characters I didn’t like, I liked it well enough to look forward to next week, when the cute doc would come out of his coma and marry the other cute doc … BUT WAIT! WHAT’S THIS??? One look at the website tells me this is going to go on and on … and …on …and …on … and…. on ……. HOLD ON!!! All of a sudden I don’t give a damn. Read my lips! NO MORE FRICKIN’ GHOSTS!!! NO, NO, NO! Sick of them. How about something ORIGINAL????

Comment by Cassie – June 8, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I really don’t mind ghost stories, but as U alluded to, this is a closed ended premise that would “drag on” if picked up. Networks should revive the mini-series concept or a clearly defined one-season only show.

For example… “The Event” & “V” should have been conceived, filmed & aired as 13-22 episode show. ONE half or full season, that’s it). At some the humans had to win (or lose) or negotiate a some kind of treaty, otherwise the show draaaaags on – fight after fight until viewers tire & it is uncermoniously dropped without resolution. Saving Hope’s premise can’t realistically be sustained.

Comment by tHeMaNwHoLaUgHs – June 9, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rookie Blue! Great show! More people should watch it. The chemistry within all the characters make the show. COME ON SEASON 4!!!!

Comment by Nikki – June 8, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I got annoyed at the scene when the cop was talking to the kid that just got paroled. There was so much background noise that I had to strain to hear and lip read a little.

Comment by Stormy – June 8, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Saving Hope. Maybe it will do better in the coming weeks, assuming it lasts that long.

Comment by Kristina – June 8, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saving Hope I was disappointend I will not look the episode 2 . Actors are pieces of wood . Delete Saving Hope !

Comment by Nola – June 8, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll drink to that!!!

Comment by Cassie – June 8, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hate saving hope why are they put erica with micheal i wish they bring in tom in play her finacee he make great doctor

Comment by laed – June 8, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saving Hope was alright.. I will only give it one or 2 more episodes though. It just wasn’t great by any means, and none of the cast other then the love triangle stand out at all.

Comment by Danielle H – June 8, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Saving Hope. I will keep watching, just to see Erica Durance.

Comment by eliza – June 8, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Saving Hope to succeed, but the pilot episode left me feeling underwhelmed. I will DVR the show from now on and watch it later.

Comment by tvdiva – June 8, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I try not to make an opinion of a show till after about 3 episodes in. But these are my first thoughts
    The choise (why, oh why,………..)
    I didn’t see take me out (disintrest) probably never will
    Saving Hope (it’s okay but need to see more eps to make a decision but I like med. drama’s so I’m biased)

Comment by Carrie – June 9, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DELETE saving hope was bad! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Comment by gabriel – June 9, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saving Hope in my opinion doesn’t really stand out. There has been so many medical dramas, it’s really hard to top ER, Greys Anatomy and even House. Great actors but the writing is dull in saving hope. After all the promotion that show got, it’s a dissapointment. If I were the actors I would be looking for another job.

Comment by Linds (@Lwass007) – June 9, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rookie Blue, I am so happy that a show filmed in Canada is doingh well, eventhough it had a slight dip! I liked Saving Hope, which also films in Canada. I will keep watching it however as it is on NBC I think it will be cancelled!

Comment by sarah – June 11, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Saving Hope based on the supernatural premise. I was/am a big Ghost Whisperer fan. After watching it, I was disappointed it was slow and not as ‘ghosty’ as I had hoped. However, I understand that character introduction takes time. The show has potential and I will give it another try this week.

Comment by Velvet – June 11, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the duets &all the judges I love Jennifer & robin, I am pulling for them hope they continue to air give them a chance hope to see them next season

Comment by Lu Ann Martinez – July 19, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post