Exclusive

NCIS Exclusive: Rocky Carroll Inks New Deal

NCIS vet Rocky Carroll has closed a new deal to stick with the long-running CBS procedural, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The actor will continue to portray Director Vance — a role he often brings to NCIS‘ spinoff, NCIS: Los Angeles — through the series’ upcoming tenth season.

As previously reported, David McCallum (Ducky) has also signed on for another season with Gibbs and Co.

RELATED | Scoop: NCIS‘ Michael Weatherly Lands Juicy Role on TNT’s Closer Spinoff Major Crimes

NCIS mainstays Michael Weatherly, Pauley Perrette and Sean Murray, meanwhile, are still in talks to re-up with TV’s most-watched drama, but showrunner Gary Glasberg recently told TVLine that he has “no doubt that it will all work out.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Exclusive, Scoop

1. k says:

Great news. I was hoping he’d sign, didn’t want another director of ncis. He’s turned out to be a good character.

2. Kate says:

Not who I was hoping to see! Although I’m glad we won’t have to go through getting a new director again.

3. Michelle says:

Excellent! Love the Vance/Gibbs dynamic. :)

• Gee says:

Me too!

• jamie-lee says:

Yes i agree director vance is gud in the show he turned out to be pretty gud n yea him n gibbs r like starting to trust each other they still have there tiffs but there all starting to get alone great :-)

4. Excited to see that Director Vance will be back for Season 10.

5. Larc says:

I didn’t like Vance at the start, but he’s grown on me. The others need to get busy signing so Tony, Abby and McGee will be back on board. The NCIS recipe isn’t perfect if it’s missing any ingredient.

6. Mel says:

Yay Rocky! Two down, three to go.

7. Justin says:

Alrighty then! Good news to me!!

8. arial2 says:

Too bad. I was hoping for a new director. Unlike most real civilian heads of military organizations I met while working in Washington, Vance is not a very relatable character. They must be good politicians and Vance has never struck me as being able to win over other high-level leaders. Fictional, I know, but there needs to be some basis in reality for a character like his. It’s not like this is Burn Notice or some other more, uhm, creative take on a government agency. But NCIS does have an advisor with experience in DC, so I must be missing something.

9. JT says:

That’s a shame. I was hoping Vance died from the explosion.

• jamie-lee says:

Thats pathedic how cud yu say that vance is gud playing the director everyone where im from wud hate to see him go!!!

10. Joni says:

Hooray! So glad that Rocky Carroll will be sticking around as Director Vance. I love the complex relationship he has with Gibbs and would love to see more scenes between Vance and DiNozzo (if he survives the explosion).

11. Martin says:

Great news, Vance is bad-ass! Love him!

12. Michael says:

Oh thank God that mean Ziva wont become the new Director last thing we need is a female director

13. jdhetherington says:

I think it’s bad that we can’t imagine any characters leaving. Eventually one of the current 8 (including Palmer) will have to depart….. The only character that really should never leave, is Gibbs. Because he is essentially the main character. Everyone else, while amazing, could easily leave. At the very least, I’d like to see a new member to the team. It’s been Gibbs, Tony, Ziva and McGee for 7 seasons now, with Ducky, Abby & Palmer playing support for 9 of them.

• aroma says:

Actually Palmer didn’t appear till the end of the 2nd season. Ducky’s original assistant was a character named Gerald.

• Becky says:

Totally agree!! The show was so good when you really didn’t know if your favorites were safe or not! It’s been the same for far too long…time for changes.

• cjsamms says:

Unfortunately, Mark Harmon is approaching the real life mandatory retirement age for special agents. So unless they’re going to shut down when Harmon calls it quits, or they’re going to pretend Gibbs is much younger than Harmon’s actual age (too late for that one), then they should be looking to the future soon.

• jamie-lee says:

I dnt think anyone shud leave the show wont be the same we need tony the funny gud lookin guy ziva is the mad dangerous girl n tim is the he’s just tim the one everyone loves if someone leaves not many ppl will watch it anymore

14. reen says:

YAY! (:

15. Tiffany says:

Perhaps this is a poor comparison, but the 4 main characters on “Buffy, the Vampire Slayer” stayed the same for 7 seasons, while other characters would come and go, and they had such a great dynamic because they had worked together for so long. I love the comraderie of all the NCIS characters and how they all interact with each other.

16. sladewilson says:

Glad that Rocky re-upped. I like Director Vance and his relationship with Gibbs. Plus I also like Vance and Hetty’s relationship…

17. Barry says:

Who cares. Get MW signed or NCIS will suck major ass.

18. anna says:

Very glad to hear that director Vance will return….like the dynamic being built between Vance and Gibbs as well as Vance and DiNozzo….
    Wishing the other 3 good luck but I still maintain my original opinion that I’d rather see MW leave NCIS at this point than be stuck playing an accessory/romantic partner to Ziva

19. Lauren says:

Im glad he is staying. Didnt like him at the start but ive grown,on him

20. Christina says:

where has he been on ncis:l.a? i dont like the assistant director!

21. heather says:

MW and the others have to come back. The show wont be the same if they dont. I dont think personal it woiuld be the same w/o all three of them. Or as good. I just hope MW guest role in that others show is just that and a ONE time thing.

22. MP says:

I’m certain the others are coming back, and that this is a behind the scenes plot to drag suspense out over who lived and died on the show.

23. Stormcrow says:

I wish they would take Abby out, even for a few episodes, I’m finding her less funny over time. Plus, I feel that having Abby “hurt” might positively (in terms of character development) impact the others: Ziva and DiNozzo might be “pushed” together, McGee might show some more darker aspects (go out on a revenge mission, something Gibbs could relate to).
    Taking DiNozzo out would totally unbalance the chemistry of the show. If his light-hearted repartee didn’t compensate Gibbs’s dry charisma, things would be too tense.
    Taking Ziva or McGee wouldn’t produce any noticeable results apart from everyone being sad.
    I’d don’t want anyone to be gone for good, but just have them put in a hospital bed for half a season (a good half-season cliffhanger would be the person coming back) for plot purposes.

24. Michael says:

Just a FYI Gibbs and Tony and Ducky as well as Abby are the main star of NCIS everyone inculding Ziva and Mcgee if you think of its could be killed off and it would not be that big of a deal

25. Johnny says:

That guy looks a lot like John Waters.

26. Tran says:

Talk about how great Rocky Carroll & Mark Harmon have been through since their time on Chicago Hope which also features Lauren Holly who was also on NCIS, but I’m still saddened on the demise of her character.

27. JAN says:

NOW SIGN THE OTHERS————————————–

28. Tim says:

He does a really good job in that role. I’m pleased to see him staying.

29. Catherine says:

How can you say that any of them can just easily leave? They keep digging deeper and deeper with every character, more so now then in the earlier seasons, its not so easy to be rid of Gibbs, Tony, McGee, Ziva or Abby, let alone Ducky and now Jimmy. The writers have evolved these characters so well, making them unique from what you will find in other TV shows, that if anybody were to leave -10 seasons!- that it would greatly hurt the show. It didn’t quite hurt the show when Kate/Jenny died as 1) the show was still new, & they just ran out of what to do with Jenny’s character. Even though we all miss them, the show could take the hit and start with something new. Going on 10 seasons now with Team Gibbs continuing to grow in character, it’s not so easy to kill someone off and replace them. However, if they can’t kill em off, they’re going to put our characters through hell that can possibly change them -like Ducky & his stroke, u don’t think his character physically/mentally is going to change? It’s easy to kill someone off, it’s a challenge to keep them alive and evolve, which is what the writers have done a fantastic job in doing. With that aside, Gibbs isn’t the “main” character and Mark Harmon said that himself, it’s all of them. Especially Gibbs, Tony, Abby & Ducky who have been with the show from day one of the pilot episodes in JAG. Now Vance I can see as a character that can die/retire as he’s the third director we’ve seen, but the guy has grown on me so I’d rather he stay ;) Now with all that aside, nobody needs to be killed off, what we want are bigger challenges for our heroes to face & more tight-knit family moments like in the episode, “Truth or Consequences”! Ah I love that epi, who doesn’t?? Oh… And my personal request… More Tony whump(hurt) and pappa Gibbs to his team please!!!!!!!

• Michael says:

Catherine they did not run out of ideas for Jenny she was always suppose to die she was never met to stay forever and Gibbs is the main star of the show he always has been just like Tony as always been his 2nd main star and Ducky and Abby the 3rd and 4th and They could kill mcgee and Ziva( Really her since she the most hated character on the show) the older the show gets the more easy it is to kill someone

• Catherine says:

Whoah, for starts- Ziva is NOT the most hated character on the show. If she was and it was obvious by the ratings, they would have let her go long ago. So that’s strongly your opinion and I respect that. My remark about Gibbs not being the main star, again Mark Harmon said so himself, I should have reworded better. I KNOW that he’s the main guy of the show, he’s the Boss, he is what drives this show, however (& this was to another comment) that doesn’t make his position “safe” and because he’s the “main” guy that also doesn’t make the other characters expendable. Yeah, that’s what I wanted to say! :) And maybe it’s easy for a semi-low rated show on it’s 4th season to kill off a character, but NCIS has well over 20 million viewers, it is a heavily character driven show in that they care more about developing the characters then they do about the actual plot. And lastly, I know Jenny was going to die, her character was already sick and the writers I’m sure were planning on something special between her and Gibbs b4 she died, but in the end it was… Screw it, Jenny’s not going to let some sickness kill her, if she was going to die she’ll do it her way. And she did. All I’m saying, they exhausted her character and they needed a replacement. Again, I make it a point to say that for NCIS, how the characters are, it being in its 10th season, nobody on Team Gibbs can easily be killed off w/out hurting the show. And with how things are going, it’s like they’re trying to prepare the characters for the inevitable end of the series, which I pray isn’t any time soon. You gotta treat NCIS as something special, and not like your other typical show to watch on TV. It is very unique and any strong NCIS fan knows that.

• jamie-lee says:

Yu obviously have no fn idea wat the the hell yur talking about micheal pfft do yu evan watch the show “pathedic”

• jamie-lee says:

Ziva is the most liked person on the show dnt kn where tha fxxk yur from mate yu musnt be watchin the same show

• heather says:

I agree with wh
      at you said.

30. Stormcrow says:

Ziva the most hated character? Please back that up. I like Abby the least last season.

Jenny was annoying, she used the agency to run her own personal war, it couldn’t last forever, she was very unprofessional.

• Gaara says:

Don’t mind him – michael here is our resident troll. He lives in a world where everybody hate Tiva and Ziva. Oh and where Ziva killed Kate and raped Tony [sic!]

• Catherine says:

Hahaha, OMG somebody help me! I can’t stop laughing!!! That last part nearly killed me XD … Ok, so Rocky is on board, c’mon hot-Weatherly, Sean, & Pauley!

• Sara says:

I think a lot of the Abby thing is that she really didn’t have a storyline this season. They brought up the thing about her brother and then dropped it… I know that they said it would be picked up again, but it seemed like she was just underutilised.

I agree completely about Jenny. The whole storyline with her and Armand Assante was just stupid. Plus I never thought there was any chemistry with her and Gibbs.

• Michael says:

How was it stuipd it was the only time they protry all the character right before NCIS became Ziva show

• Sara says:

Umm, I actually like Ziva… I just don’t think that she’s so important to the show that it couldn’t work without her. It worked before her with Kate and it worked in the episodes where Ziva doesn’t appear because she was being held captive. I also don’t know how you can claim that it became the Ziva show. The major storyline of the seasons after the hideous La Grenouille storyline were all about Gibbs in regards to the drug cartel that went after his wife and daughter. That’s not Ziva.

Also, I’m not sure what kind of answer you’re looking for about why was it “stuipd” to “protry” all the “character” because I’m not sure WTF you’re talking about. I can only assume that you mean stupid and characters but have no clue what you’re talking about with protry.

31. Castle Rules says:

Time for Abby to take a dirt nap…I’m sick of Her and the NCIS HQ explosion would be PERFECT time to end her Character…..as for PP I like her and wish for her to have a new job soon but on another show!!!!!

32. jj says:

Everyone needs to return, they are all integral part to the success of the show. I never dislike Vance and he has definitely grown on me through the years.

33. Bill says:

Personally I think they can save money by not having Jamie Lee back next season. She adds interest but she’s definitely got her own agenda.

• Tere says:

I agree, if any character is expendable it is Jamie Lee Curtis. For all ten years I’ve followed NCIS but I won’t watch if she’s in the show. Just can’t handle it. She doesn’t add interest for me at all; she’s got her sights set on Gibbs and it will be a tragedy if they end up together. I was so afraid he was going to end up with that tight-a** blond woman in the uniform. Ugh.

34. Amber says:

Michael weatherly needs to sign up quick!!!! I absoloutly love him <3 abbey and tim need to sign up too. U cant have it without them. It would be soooo bad otherwise. I would not want to watch it.

35. Joy says:

I agree they don’t need JLC. She was a bad fit.
    All the others need to come back. As for ‘Tim’. I love his character. I remember when he was on Jag for one season as a rotten brat that messed up Admiral Chegwidden’s (sp) romance with his mother and landed up being taken to a navy recruiting office so that the navy would smarten him up. I know it is not a continuance of the same character but I loved it when he arrived at NCIS as a very smart cookie. (G)

36. Arjun Paliath says:

An update is that the season premiere is on Sep 25th,2012. And all the original cast have extended their contracts for two years and JLC will not be starring in season 10, which proves that there are two more seasons in run for this fantastic show. Also each and every character is important for this show and that is what I like. So keep them coming.

37. Carol says:

we can do without a childish pro bye Abby. Ziva, Tony Rocky Ducky and McGee are the most professional actors on the show (besides Gibbs of course Ziva is the most beautiful and talented woman on TV.

38. Bev says:

Love this show and ALL the characters. Ziva is a great addition and love the way they are growing each character.