Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Horror Story, Smash, Weeds, Scandal, The Good Wife and More!

Who’s who in American Horror Story 2? Will Derek’s love life be Smash‘d? With whom will Weeds‘ Nancy play doctor? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from fall and summer shows.

American Horror Story | This much is known about the next “chapter” in FX’s Horror Story: The setting is an East Coast insane asylum circa the 1960s, and several Season 1 cast members – Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe and Evan Peters included — will be on hand in new roles. Save for the fact that SAG/Globe winner Jessica Lange is playing the head honcho at said institution, other character deets are few. And Ryan Murphy wants to keep it that way. “I don’t want to say what Zach and Lily are doing, or what anybody else is doing, until we get closer to [fall],” he tells me. “But I’ll continue to say that everybody is playing the opposite of what they played last year, which I think is why they’re all so into it. Like, I have talked to Zach and Jessica and they were very excited… and that’s a rare thing.” But in keeping with the “opposite” theme, does that mean Peters, who in Season 1 played the rather evil Tate, will be the new chapter’s hero? “Knowing me it will be the anti-hero,” Murphy teases. “It won’t be what you expect.”

RELATED | American Horror Story Pits James Cromwell Against Jessica Lange in Season 2

Smash | Though much about Season 2 – now under the purview of showrunner Josh Safran and minus the characters of Ellis, Dev, Frank and Michael – is up in the air, Ivy of course will still be a key player. As such, I picked Megan Hilty’s brain about what new obstacles the Bombshell production could be met with, having already burned through leading lady woes, showstopper problems and, you know, the peanut smoothie caper. “Oh, there are so many different things…,” the Broadway vet mused. “There could be rival musicals, and there is awards season to tackle…. So many things!” As for Ivy herself, Hilty suspects that Derek’s bed sheets might cool some come when the NBC drama returns at midseason. “I think they will always have a very strong mutual understanding of each other, and they’ll always be in each other’s lives,” she says, “but I’m kind of hoping that Ivy gets a boyfriend – like a really good boyfriend! – in Season 2.”

RELATED | Smash Shakes Up Cast, Adding Three New Regulars for Season 2

Weeds | It appears the bullet Nancy took in the Season 7 finale just might give her love life a “shot” in the arm, seeing as the Showtime comedy is casting the guest-starring role of a handsome doc who piques Nance’s interest. Not to be left out, Silas will also get a new honey, named Kendra. Meanwhile, I know many are wondering what the new NBC comedy Animal Practice means for Justin Kirk’s Weeds role. Rest assured that Andy is still around, and will be running a summer camp populated by rambunctious lads.

VIDEO | Watch the Weeds Season 8 Teaser

The Good Wife | Now that Kalinda’s husband is about to come knock-knock-knockin’ on her (guarded) door, it’d make sense if we wound up getting a visit from the guy who first started poking a stick at that dark corner of her past – Blake Calamar. So how ’bout it, Scott Porter? Think you can sneak away from Dixie for a week? “I’m really good friends with a lot of the [Good Wife] cast and whenever I see them we talk about it,” Porter told TVLine at last weekend’s ATX Television Festival in Austin, Texas. “In fact, Matt Czuchry (who plays Cary) said he’d love to see Blake back, and I would too, but scheduling-wise right now it doesn’t seem like it would work.” The operative words being right now. “[Series creators Robert and Michelle King] are so smart that they’ve left a lot of doors open for Blake to come back if the opportunity ever presented itself,” Porter notes. “Hopefully we can do it again in the future.”

Drop Dead Diva | Lawyers/onetime lovers Kim and Parker will “go through some interesting ups and downs this season,” show boss Josh Berman tells TVLine — and it all begins this Sunday. “For Kim, the biggest moment comes in Episode 2, where she encounters her father, played by John Ratzenberger from Cheers,” Berman previews. “That’s a real fun storyline.” Above and beyond that father daze, “There are some twists and turns in [Kim and Parker's] relationship,” Berman promises, though he’s mum on exactly what.

RELATED | Shonda Rhimes Weighs In on Scandal Season 1, the Finale’s Killer Reveal and Fitz’s Future

Scandal | Yes, Olivia’s deal with Mellie involved keeping her mitts off Fitz. But as Shonda Rhimes herself assured me, Mr. President will not be MIA in Season 2. After all, as series lead Kerry Washington put it, “Who could stand that? He’s so great!” Exactly how the show facilitates more intense interactions ‘tween “POPUS” (as I call them) will be “part of the magic of Shonda Rhimes,” Washington ventures. Referencing one of her boss’ other creations, she says, “I was watching Private Practice once and thinking how we felt so badly for Addison, because she wasn’t able to conceive, while Amelia was pregnant. Cut to two weeks later and the tables have completely reversed!” So it’s not unheard of that Scandal will keep its UST-filled duo within proverbial arm’s reach. “That’s one of the fun things about working for Shonda,” says her star. “You really do have to surrender to the ride.”

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. sara says:

I would love to see Blake back. Scott and Archie had a fabulous antagonistic chemistry.

2. Lucy says:

I also would like to see Blake again. But this time I’d love to see more fireworks between him and Cary.

3. Mike says:

“POPUS”? You can’t just make up acronyms, Jonah.

4. guest says:

Ivy dose not deserve a good boyfriend, she is not a nice person and knowingly sleeping with Dev to get back at Karen who did nothing wrong!

• misha says:

I’m so sick of everyone making karen out to be such a victim! The whole ‘i’m in tech,’ tthe fact that she was willing to screw everyone by hiding in the back closet pls I can’t get over that god AWFUL accent she uses in derek’s daydream. No she isn’t the villain o the show and I hate how the writers are making her out to be this incredibly naive goody goody

• Amelia says:

So agreed! And I hate the, “Karen just has something Ivy doesn’t”. I’ve seen star quality and Ivy has it- not Karen. McPhee has a beautiful voice and makes a wonderful concert singer but she is no Broadway caliber performer- her songs lack the embodiment of character that is needed for that. Also, Dev could have said no. He knew who she was too. Can’t just pin all the blame for that on Ivy. She made an awful choice but at least she knew she was wrong afterwards.

• Erin says:

Did she know who he was though? I felt that was ambiguous as she was drunk at the time, and had yet to meet him (I have no clue if Dev is a common name or noth though, I suspect it’s unusual but I have no clue) and pissed at Derek. It’s suss but I wasn’t all that sure to be honest.

Anyway she made a mistake, as has every other character on that damn show. And as others have mentioned, I hate how Karen’s made out to be little miss innocent, the hero who can do no wrong. If anything that put me off her. This weird Mary Sueish quality. The whole Dev and Ivy thing actually felt very anvilly and out of place to me in terms of it was obvious they were merely putting obstacles in front of Karen to overcome them and show her worth, be all that she could be – barf. If anything I find that a shame, hers and Devs sweet and realistic relationship was a positive for her character.

5. Josh says:

“Knowing me it will be anti-hero”..

Oh you pompous wind-bag…

6. sladewilson says:

I want to see more of Mellie and how she deals with Olivia so bring it on. Plus I wonder if Mellie has her own “secret love” out there and not that guy we saw in the flashbacks but someone we haven’t met yet.

7. mentalgirl says:

I haven’t heard anything about breaking bad! It’s only the best show on tv!!

8. Jones says:

Can’t WAIT for AHS next year! Every little tidbit just makes me more excited for next season. As for Smash, I’m happy to see the end of Dev, Ellis (especially!) and the annoying son, but I’d like Frank to stay on and lose Julia instead. I can’t stand her! I know that will never happen, but she is awful. There is nothing likable about her. Michael got too stalker-y, so he needs to go, but Julia needs a personality upgrade STAT!

9. Temis says:

Evan Peters is playing a good, noble doctor trying to reform the snakepit that Jessica Lange’s “Big Nurse” character is running. That’s your anti-hero.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

After seeing the first season of American Horror Story, I have real problems with the program, mostly how Ryan Murphy and Co. think their show is a horror movie “homage” when mostly it’s just a disjointed horror movie “rip-off”. C’mon, those stories and plots write themselves. it doesn’t take a lot of effort to use other writers’ plots and story ideas. Anyhoo….I had heard a rumor Ian McShane might play a doctor on the show which intrigued me enough to want to try the second season, but I’m thinking that’s the role that went to James Cromwell? James Cromwell is great, but if it’s not going to be Deadwood baddie Al Swearengen on the show, I am less interested.

11. Saint Alicia says:

Great news about TGW, I’d like to see Blake return as well. It’d be fun/interesting to see Blake vs. Cary vs. Nick vs. whoever else wants to throw their hat in the ring regarding Kalinda. ;)

12. Casey says:

This is NOT Smash scoop! Hilty has been spouting the same thing for the last month and the firings are old news. Couldn’t you find some real scoop? Or at least talk about what will happen to the show with such an inexperienced showrunner who specializes in teeny bopper garbage and knows nothing about Broadway?

13. Ethan says:

No. Please don’t have Blake come back. I didn’t really like his character or his interactions with Kalinda.

14. Titina says:

I am actually glad it appears Ivy and Derek are done, because their relationship was goig nowhere. They are too much alike and too jaded for each other.

OTH, I cannot wait for a Karen/Derek romance in season 2. The chemistry between them is off the charts! Plus I think Derek actually cares for Karen. They are total opposites but they bring out the best of each other. He´s never sleep with her therefore respects her. And that last scene in the finale was sweet. He is totally smitten and I want to watch their love story evolve.

15. fly tipping says:

Obama science adviser John Holdren proposed blasting sulphate particles into the atmosphere to block the rays
    of the sun. The book then goes into discussions of “living systems”
    such as the role of forests (and deforestation), soil,
    and population as related to climate change and energy usage.
    See how much of this change is attributed to greenhouse gases, albedo (i.

16. Howdy! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog such as yours take a massive amount work?
    I am completely new to running a blog but I do write in
    my diary everyday. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

17. Good post! We will be linking to this particularly great article on our website.
    Keep up the great writing.

18. carp chairs says:

Wow, superb weblog layout! How lengthy have you ever been running
    a blog for? you made blogging look easy. The full glance of your web site
    is great, as neatly as the content!

19. Ashlee says:

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before ending I am reading this impressive post to improve
    my know-how.

20. Loch Lomond says:

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do think that you should publish more on this subject, it might not be a taboo matter but generally people do
    not discuss such topics. To the next! Many thanks!!

21. Αhaa, its good discussion cօncerning this piece of writing
    here at thiѕ web ѕite, Ӏ have read all that, so аtt this time me alsօ commenting here.

22. Hey! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to
    him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!