Showtime's Homeland Leads TCA Nominations

Homeland TCA Awards 2012Showtime’s Homeland nabbed four TCA Awards nominations, leading the competition and making it the show to beat at this year’s ceremony.

The news follows Tuesday’s announcement of contenders for the Critics’ Choice Television Awards.

The TCA Awards, presented by the Television Critics Association, will be given out at a private ceremony on July 28.

The complete list of nominations is below:

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
Claire Danes (Homeland)
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Lena Dunham (Girls)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN NEWS AND INFORMATION

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Mad Men
Downton Abbey

1. Sam says:

Lena Dunham is a genius, and she deserves every award that’s coming to her (aka: a lot). Girls is so unflinchingly her, with the direction, the writing, the acting. Chelsea Handler attempted to make a show out of her essay book, but Dunham truly has created a show that watches like a memoir.

Love it or hate it, you at least have to afford it this: Lena Dunham is the bravest woman in the industry.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Okay, at this point now, Girls has gotten enough press that I’m really intrigued by it. I will have to try it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

• TheBeach says:

“Girls” is a true gem. Everything about it is special.

• Katie says:

Really? As an actual woman in my 20s struggling to live in New York City I find this show to be an embarrassment and not at all representative of anything at all really except Lena Dunham’s inflated self-importance.

• Jelly says:

I’m having a hard time getting into Girls. Maybe I need someone to explain it to me, because after 2 episodes it just seems like a bunch of pretentious overgrown children complaining. I don’t like any of the characters, I think that’s the big problem. I WANT to like it, but I just don’t.

• totally thought this too. i hated all of the characters. i think episode 3 or 4 i got hooked and it really clicked what the show is about. i felt like i finally “got” it. give it another chance. trust me.

• Pamela says:

Amanda, I think I might take your advice. I was going to write off Girls, as I found Lena Dunham’s character in particular incredibly annoying. It seemed to be a “look at me, see how edgy I can write”. But I almost did this with Veep, yet I came back to it given its pedigree and Julia Louis Dreyfus, and by eps 3 and 4 everything began to click.

2. DL says:

Glad to see Revenge scored a nom for Outstanding New Program!

3. cj says:

I’m curious about the Heritage Award. I am a fan of 3 out of the 5 nominees and I wonder what the criteria for the award is… research time!

4. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m curious about the difference between the program of the year and outstanding drama. They seem like the same category. For some reason I am feeling Jon Hamm will take this individual achievement in drama award. Not sure why I feel that way, especially with my obsessive love of Claire Danes’ performance on Homeland, but it just feels like Jon Hamm is taking it. I would love to see Louis C.K. take the comedy award, and Community get best comedy show. Homeland absolutely gets best new program. No question. Maybe program of the year and outstanding drama too. I’m really happy to see Justified in there, maybe its Emmy chances are better than I thought they were.

• Amy says:

The Program of the Year is drama, comedy etc. This year it’s pretty much a repeat of the drama category, but in years past it’s been more of a mix. Basically the best TV show of the year.

• Taylor says:

I don’t care for the Best Drama nominations. Why is it that only cable shows are getting nominated? There are some quality network drama series, such as The Good Wife. So far, I think The Good Wife is a lot better than Mad Men (I didn’t care for the whole Megan subplot). And what is so great about Homeland? It’s like watching the news. I watched it at the beginning and found it very boring. None of the characters drew me in. And let’s not even get into Games of Throne, which I find to be the most confusing and convoluted show on TV right now. IMO the only drama series that deserved a nomination was Breaking Bad. But I still would’ve given the win to The Good Wife.

• Simon Jester says:

Sorry, but good as “The Good Wife” is, I don’t think there’s anything on the broadcast networks that can compete with cable. I think that Drama list is right on target.

• KevyB says:

Having the most noms doesn’t make it the “show to beat”. It got an extra nom because all the other shows in the Drama category didn’t make it into the New category. And, by the way, all four of the other shows in the Drama category are WAAAAAAAY better.

5. TheBeach says:

OK, we just had the Critics Choice Television noms and now the Television Critics noms . Huh?

6. AJ says:

I enjoyed Homeland, but it should not be “the show to beat” with Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Downtown Abby, and Game of Thrones on the air. It wasn’t better than any of those for me, but it was quite good none the less.

7. Emily says:

Wasn’t Smash critically reviled? I don’t think Once Upon a Time is all sorts of amazing, but it seems more deserving than Smash. I watch and love all of the outstanding drama nominees, though, so can’t complain too much!

• AJ says:

I just saw that. Smash was awful, can’t believe it got nominated for any award. I was actually surprised it even got renewed. Ratings were decent for NBC I guess, but still it dropped a considerable amount of it’s lead in audience from The Voice.

• lilly says:

Each critic only gets to nominate 2 shows per category. If the vast majority nominate the same 2 shows (say Homeland and Girls) then a show with only modest support can make it into the top 5. That’s probably how Smash made it in.

8. suzanne says:

Smash?

9. Leah says:

Community and Parks & Rec? I’m a happy camper.

10. Ally says:

How in the world did Smash get nominated? I watch the show but I’m not sure its too high quality. There’s poor character development, plenty of cliche storylines and overall it just seems to be trying too hard.

I’m glad Revenge got a nod. I really want to check out Southland. I thought Damien Lewis was terrific in Life and Claire Danes was terrific in Brokedown Palace. Unfortunately it doesn’t come on any of the four-hundred channels I get because my cable provider doesn’t carry Superchannel (up here in Canada). Sons of Anarchy and Parenthood seem to have gotten snubbed again.

11. James says:

Can I just say Once Upon a Time is probably the most undervalued show of the awards season? Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Ginnifer Goodwin deserve some recognition.

12. Christa says:

I so hope Andy Griffith wins! Out of that group he stands out in my mind as the class act!

13. Lily says:

Glad to see Justified & Revenge score nominations.

14. Alexandra says:

Happy The Voice was nominated, despite season 2 being such an immense disappointment.

15. kelly says:

happy to see Justified recognized as well as Game of Thrones, hope Emmy is paying attention when their times comes to pick nominees!

16. Lia says:

Claire Danes is fantastic in her Homeland role, ditto Damian Lewis, easy to see why they got so many noms!

17. Cate53 says:

The Glee Project in there! Great!

Smash? Really? Are these based on one episode put forward for consideration or a whole series? Cos Smash veered from brilliance to mediocrity.

18. Jay says:

What on earth is the heritage award? Can the same show win every year for the next 100 years?

19. Jesse says:

I am confused. You say Homeland’s 4 nominations “lead[ ] the competition and mak[e] it the show to beat at this year’s ceremony.” It is true that Homeland is nominated for Outstanding New Program, for which Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones are not eligible. But in every other category (i.e., every single category for which those other shows are eligible), Homeland is right alongside Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones. I don’t understand the logical leap you’re making to suggest that this makes Homeland the show to beat in those other categories.

20. J says:

The Glee Project is nominated !! but it’s so sad that Glee is not nominated

21. Dawn says:

Sherlock should win the Miniseries category. It is extremely well written with amazing acting (Can anyone avoid being freaked out by Andrew Scott and not fall in love with Benedict Cumberbatch?) The films themselves are beautifully photographed. Go Sherlock!

• Pamela says:

Sherlock won in this category last year. Not that I am saying it shouldn’t this year – in fact, the opposite, as season 2 is much stronger. So, I fail to see why Downton Abbey is there at all when ITS second season was so much poorer. And why does the TCA put DA into mini-series when the Emmys and the Broadcast Journalists for the Critics Choice awards put it into Drama Series?

I think Sherlock’s strongest competitor is probably Game Change – particularly on the acting front – if I am looking at this with a cold hard eye.

22. Seriously, if you haven’t yet, go watch Sherlock. Just try it. You won’t be disappointed.

• cathy says:

Sooooo agree! Why aren’t people shouting this from the rooftops??? (oops, sorry about the rooftop reference!)

23. CM says:

YEAHH Downtown Abbey Masterpiece — A true work of art!!!

24. godzilla's_foil says:

That “outstanding new program” category has got to be a joke.

25. Dawn says:

Game Change is a very good movie; I enjoyed it alot. However, when it comes to comparing the movie to Sherlock I respect the fact that Sherlock is written completely from “scratch”. Game Change kind of wrote itself after the insanity of the presidential campaign.

26. Gigi says:

WHERE IS [H]OUSE and HUGH LAURIE????????????????

27. satch says:

when is homeland back on uk tv