Exclusive: John Carroll Lynch Exits Body of Proof, Joins NBC's Do No Harm as a Regular

John Carroll Lynch’s run on Body of Proof is as dead as the vics that his Det. Bud Morris investigated.

Sources tell TVLine exclusively that the Dana Delany-led ABC crime drama, which Lynch has been with since the pilot, didn’t pick up his option for Season 3.

But when a medical examiner-drama door closes, a medical drama window opens. We hear that Lynch is joining NBC’s new procedural Do No Harm as a series regular. The actor had appeared in the pilot as a guest star.

Harm, which stars Rescue Me’s Steven Pasquale, Alana de la Garza (Law & Order), Phylicia Rashad and Mousa Kraish, centers on a neurosurgeon (Pasquale) whose dangerous alter-ego is poised to seriously mess with his life. Lynch plays the NA sponsor to Pasquale’s character.

Comments (51)

• Well this gives me a reason to watch somethiing on NBC

Comment by Robin – June 6, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do No Harm sounds conspicously similar to Nurse Jackie…

Comment by Nicotine – June 7, 2012 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …Call it Nurse Jackie & Hyde.

Comment by Ace – June 7, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order’s Phylicia Rashad?? That’s just wrong

Comment by Anon – June 6, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I never knew she was on L & O but I certainly knew she was on Cosby.

Comment by Snsetblaze – June 6, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seems as though TV Line is in need of a good copy editor. ;)

Comment by Marc – June 7, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Umm, the Law & Order is next to Alana de la Garza (Connie Rubirosa on L&O)… not Phylicia Rashad. The parentheses and comma are there for a reason.

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was recently corrected. Her name was missing when the story first posted. The Law & Order was next to Phylicia Rahsad. Hence, the comment.

Comment by Anon – June 6, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That makes me sad. I enjoyed his rapport with Dana Delaney on that show.

Comment by Summer – June 6, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did, too.

Comment by Chloe – June 6, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. And with his partner. And I was enjoying the storyline of him and his wife becoming parents so late In life (at least late for her).

Comment by Snsetblaze – June 6, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The relationship between Bud and Megan was one of my favorite parts of the show, saving it from being too maudlin.

Comment by Bella – June 7, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Def the most interesting and fun relationship on the show(though I also kinda wish Megan and Peter would act on the “tension” that sometimes crops up during their scenes).

Comment by ChrisGa – June 7, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order’s Phylicia Rashad? U mean The Cosby Show’s Phylicia Rashad?

Comment by jr – June 6, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good … i’ve long said that both the cops on Body Of Proof need to be replaced … halfway there is a start

Comment by Dave – June 6, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also enjoyed Sam Waterston’s work on The Cosby Show.

Comment by bill – June 6, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you mean Law & Order’s Alana de la Garza and The Cosby Show / Cosby’s Phylicia Rashad…

Comment by TV Bro – June 6, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it already says that… minus the Cosby part for Rashad. I don’t know how you people are misreading something that’s in parentheses with de la Garza’s name and has a comma after it.

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, clearly, Sara, folks saw the post before it was corrected in a later edit. Seriously? This didn’t occur to you at all?

Comment by Annie – June 7, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, rampant bitch much?

Comment by Jake – June 7, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • no kidding. clearly annie needs some midol

Comment by Hannah – June 7, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t let Annie get you down too much or to stop commenting on the site. Apparently she’s unable to understand that this site often corrects articles without noting edits. People like her obviously get off on making others feel small.

Comment by Hannah – June 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad I really like this guy.

Comment by Renee – June 6, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy him on Proof. Sorry to see him go. Hope the new show works out.

Comment by meghan – June 6, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recognize John Carroll Lynch from the movie Fargo. He was the character Marge the sheriff’s (Francis McDormand) husband.

Comment by Holly – June 6, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I knew I recognized him!

Comment by Nerdista (@Nerdista) – June 6, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And he was Drew Carey’s brother on The Drew Carey Show.

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He also played prime Zodiac suspect Arthur Leigh Allen in “Zodiac.” Awesome performance – gave me the chills.

Comment by Annie – June 7, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since his gone nows a great chance for BOP to bring in a well know and well liked actor to replace. I would say Marica Cross,just because I sooooooo want her back on tv and her and Dana have amazing chemisrty but i know shes taking a break from acting.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – June 6, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Marcia Cross, and would love to see her back on TV, but I just can’t see her as a cop. I’m hoping they bring in someone similar’ish to replace Bud, kinda like how L&O brought in similar type characters to replace the characters who were leaving.

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fine with me. John Carroll Lynch is a fantastic actor who was not used well on the show at all! From Drew Carey’s cross-dressing brother to a chilling suspect in Zodiac, he has incredible range, and his character on BoP was the least interesting one I’ve ever seen him play. Here’s hoping his DNH character is better!

Comment by DL – June 6, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot about Zodiac! The problem is that it’s on NBC… it’s kind of like an automatic strike against it for most people. :\

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI everyone there was a comma after (law and order)…just saying. Also, I am very sad he is leaving Body

Comment by April – June 6, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s disappointing. I really enjoyed him on that show, and the banter between him and Megan was one of the best things about it. :( They should have gotten rid of Nicholas Bishop (Peter) instead. I really don’t like his character, and I keep being afraid they’re going to pair him up with Megan.

Comment by JC – June 6, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Bud was one of the few things I liked about this show. Peter, on the other hand, was kind of a useless character and a bit annoying.

Comment by Bobbie – June 7, 2012 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t a fan of Bud initially, but the character grew on me so sorry to see him go. This show barely got renewed so I guess they need to shake things up. I would have rather they got rid of Peter. His character is so bland.

Comment by Sara – June 6, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never understood the point of Peter’s character. I assumed he was supposed to be a romantic interest for Meghan, but that doesn’t seem to be where they are going with his character.

Comment by Irishgirl – June 6, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have usually found Bud to be pretty boring: the standard annoying cop who is around merely to bicker with the lead character. The story with him and his wife having the baby made him a bit more interesting, but the show won’t miss him. Sounds as if the actor is going on to more exciting projects, too. I like Peter a lot more than Bud. Wouldn’t call him bland in the least. He’s one of my favorites.

Comment by Chris – June 6, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does that mean that his partner will be leaving too? I have had a hard time liking her. She’s so rough. Well, I don’t blame him. As much as I truly enjoy BoP, chances are it will not be around for much longer. He went with a better option for him.

Comment by Ana – June 7, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? ABC is wrong with the decission! He’s one of the best characters of the show. Anyway, I’ll watch his new series for sure.

Comment by Amaia – June 7, 2012 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s better off. BoP was barely renewed this season.

Comment by Matt – June 7, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like his character! And I can’t believe BoP was barely renewed this season! They didn’t have bad ratings… I would love to see Marcia doing BoP at least as a guest star! Love her chemistry with Dana!

Comment by Mimi – June 7, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The could raid the cast of Unforgettable. There were some great actors on there playing cops. Might be a good fit for Body of Proof. I will miss Bud though we had just gotten to know him. Maybe this will make room for more Luke Perry :)

Comment by Cleo – June 7, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pity. I liked his character on Body of Proof and the new show holds no appeal for me at all.

Comment by Gretchen – June 7, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was a great part of that show. He and Delaney had good chemistry.
    New show is another ripoff of non-network tv.

Comment by Becky Vann – June 7, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Delany. She is horrible.

Comment by dan – June 7, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like his character on that show, so no real loss.

Comment by Danielle H – June 7, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will be guesting on tonight’s episode of “The Glades”. Sad to see him leave ‘Proof’ but wish him the best of luck.

Comment by ALjohn – July 8, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you see the comma, that indiates it for the name in front not behinds the name. Phylicia is behind.

Comment by phyllis – September 12, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Done with Body of Proof,wtf would you take away so many main characters? Dana is not enough alone,so long…….. :( miss you Peter!!!!!

Comment by mini min – February 26, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post