Exclusive

Exclusive: John Carroll Lynch Exits Body of Proof, Joins NBC's Do No Harm as a Regular

John Carroll Lynch’s run on Body of Proof is as dead as the vics that his Det. Bud Morris investigated.

Sources tell TVLine exclusively that the Dana Delany-led ABC crime drama, which Lynch has been with since the pilot, didn’t pick up his option for Season 3.

But when a medical examiner-drama door closes, a medical drama window opens. We hear that Lynch is joining NBC’s new procedural Do No Harm as a series regular. The actor had appeared in the pilot as a guest star.

Harm, which stars Rescue Me’s Steven Pasquale, Alana de la Garza (Law & Order), Phylicia Rashad and Mousa Kraish, centers on a neurosurgeon (Pasquale) whose dangerous alter-ego is poised to seriously mess with his life. Lynch plays the NA sponsor to Pasquale’s character.

1. Robin says:

Well this gives me a reason to watch somethiing on NBC

2. Anon says:

Law & Order’s Phylicia Rashad?? That’s just wrong

• Snsetblaze says:

I know. I never knew she was on L & O but I certainly knew she was on Cosby.

• Sara says:

Umm, the Law & Order is next to Alana de la Garza (Connie Rubirosa on L&O)… not Phylicia Rashad. The parentheses and comma are there for a reason.

• Anon says:

It was recently corrected. Her name was missing when the story first posted. The Law & Order was next to Phylicia Rahsad. Hence, the comment.

3. Summer says:

That makes me sad. I enjoyed his rapport with Dana Delaney on that show.

• Chloe says:

I did, too.

• Snsetblaze says:

Me too. And with his partner. And I was enjoying the storyline of him and his wife becoming parents so late In life (at least late for her).

• Bella says:

The relationship between Bud and Megan was one of my favorite parts of the show, saving it from being too maudlin.

• ChrisGa says:

Def the most interesting and fun relationship on the show(though I also kinda wish Megan and Peter would act on the “tension” that sometimes crops up during their scenes).

4. jr says:

Law & Order’s Phylicia Rashad? U mean The Cosby Show’s Phylicia Rashad?

5. Dave says:

good … i’ve long said that both the cops on Body Of Proof need to be replaced … halfway there is a start

6. bill says:

I also enjoyed Sam Waterston’s work on The Cosby Show.

7. TV Bro says:

I think you mean Law & Order’s Alana de la Garza and The Cosby Show / Cosby’s Phylicia Rashad…

• Sara says:

I think it already says that… minus the Cosby part for Rashad. I don’t know how you people are misreading something that’s in parentheses with de la Garza’s name and has a comma after it.

• Annie says:

Um, clearly, Sara, folks saw the post before it was corrected in a later edit. Seriously? This didn’t occur to you at all?

• Hannah says:

Don’t let Annie get you down too much or to stop commenting on the site. Apparently she’s unable to understand that this site often corrects articles without noting edits. People like her obviously get off on making others feel small.

8. Renee says:

That’s too bad I really like this guy.

9. meghan says:

I enjoy him on Proof. Sorry to see him go. Hope the new show works out.

10. Holly says:

I recognize John Carroll Lynch from the movie Fargo. He was the character Marge the sheriff’s (Francis McDormand) husband.

11. Since his gone nows a great chance for BOP to bring in a well know and well liked actor to replace. I would say Marica Cross,just because I sooooooo want her back on tv and her and Dana have amazing chemisrty but i know shes taking a break from acting.

• Sara says:

I like Marcia Cross, and would love to see her back on TV, but I just can’t see her as a cop. I’m hoping they bring in someone similar’ish to replace Bud, kinda like how L&O brought in similar type characters to replace the characters who were leaving.

12. DL says:

This is fine with me. John Carroll Lynch is a fantastic actor who was not used well on the show at all! From Drew Carey’s cross-dressing brother to a chilling suspect in Zodiac, he has incredible range, and his character on BoP was the least interesting one I’ve ever seen him play. Here’s hoping his DNH character is better!

• Sara says:

I forgot about Zodiac! The problem is that it’s on NBC… it’s kind of like an automatic strike against it for most people. :\

13. April says:

FYI everyone there was a comma after (law and order)…just saying. Also, I am very sad he is leaving Body

14. JC says:

That’s disappointing. I really enjoyed him on that show, and the banter between him and Megan was one of the best things about it. :( They should have gotten rid of Nicholas Bishop (Peter) instead. I really don’t like his character, and I keep being afraid they’re going to pair him up with Megan.

• Bobbie says:

Yes! Bud was one of the few things I liked about this show. Peter, on the other hand, was kind of a useless character and a bit annoying.

15. Sara says:

Wasn’t a fan of Bud initially, but the character grew on me so sorry to see him go. This show barely got renewed so I guess they need to shake things up. I would have rather they got rid of Peter. His character is so bland.

• Irishgirl says:

I never understood the point of Peter’s character. I assumed he was supposed to be a romantic interest for Meghan, but that doesn’t seem to be where they are going with his character.

• Chris says:

I have usually found Bud to be pretty boring: the standard annoying cop who is around merely to bicker with the lead character. The story with him and his wife having the baby made him a bit more interesting, but the show won’t miss him. Sounds as if the actor is going on to more exciting projects, too. I like Peter a lot more than Bud. Wouldn’t call him bland in the least. He’s one of my favorites.

16. Ana says:

Does that mean that his partner will be leaving too? I have had a hard time liking her. She’s so rough. Well, I don’t blame him. As much as I truly enjoy BoP, chances are it will not be around for much longer. He went with a better option for him.

17. Amaia says:

What? ABC is wrong with the decission! He’s one of the best characters of the show. Anyway, I’ll watch his new series for sure.

18. Matt says:

He’s better off. BoP was barely renewed this season.

19. Mimi says:

I really like his character! And I can’t believe BoP was barely renewed this season! They didn’t have bad ratings… I would love to see Marcia doing BoP at least as a guest star! Love her chemistry with Dana!

20. Cleo says:

The could raid the cast of Unforgettable. There were some great actors on there playing cops. Might be a good fit for Body of Proof. I will miss Bud though we had just gotten to know him. Maybe this will make room for more Luke Perry :)

21. Gretchen says:

Pity. I liked his character on Body of Proof and the new show holds no appeal for me at all.

22. Becky Vann says:

He was a great part of that show. He and Delaney had good chemistry.
    New show is another ripoff of non-network tv.

23. dan says:

Get rid of Delany. She is horrible.

24. Danielle H says:

I did not like his character on that show, so no real loss.

25. ALjohn says:

He will be guesting on tonight’s episode of “The Glades”. Sad to see him leave ‘Proof’ but wish him the best of luck.

26. phyllis says:

Do you see the comma, that indiates it for the name in front not behinds the name. Phylicia is behind.

27. mini min says:

Done with Body of Proof,wtf would you take away so many main characters? Dana is not enough alone,so long…….. :( miss you Peter!!!!!