Pretty Little Liars Boss Talks Season 3 Secrets (Ezra's Got 'Em) - and the Return of Maya?!?

Hip hip hoor’A’! Pretty Little Liars launches its much-anticipated third season tonight (8/7c, ABC Family), and exec producer Oliver Goldstick loaded us up with all the scoop on what’s in store for the ladies and gents of Rosewood.

“There’s a lot of stuff raining down from the sky after that explosive finale,” he tells TVLine. “And we spend about three or four episodes just sorting through all of that mess.”

Messy as it may be, Goldstick assures us that everything set up last season will be addressed in the coming episodes, including “finding out who was the Black Swan, and also who is part of the ‘A’ syndicate… Is ‘A’ actually more than one person? And is Mona in fact controlling these people from behind ‘bars,’ or is Garrett the one doing that?”

As for the looming mystery of whether or not Maya is really dead — and if that was actually her body being rolled out of the DiLaurentis house in the finale — the EP says, “I’m not teasing with this: You have not seen the last of Maya.” (And yes, we did ask if he meant via flashback, and to that we received a firm “no.”)

And that’s all just the tip of the Little Liars iceberg. Here’s what else Goldstick reveals about Season 3:

TVLINE | Talk a little about where the show picks up and how the girls are handling life post-Mona.
It’s five months later, and there’s still a lot to recover from for these girls. The only thing that’s any comfort for them at all is the fact that Garrett is behind bars.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Scoop: Suits Actress Cast as [Spoiler]‘s Mentor – and [Spoiler]‘s Ex!

TVLINE | Emily is arguably the most messed up by the whole situation, given Maya’s presumed death.

TVLINE | And is her onetime crush, Paige,  still in the picture?
She’s back in the mix, too… This could change, but I think for now she’s trustworthy and cares for Emily a great deal.

TVLINE | How are things going for “Ezria” now that they are out in the open? Is it smooth sailing?
Yes and no, because Aria’s got parents on very different pages when it comes to the Ezra Fitz of it all. Ella perpetrates a bit of a lie in an early arc, which actually ends up bonding her to Ezra. She was already more tolerant of him than Byron was, as we know, so it’s not a big reversal, but they end up bonding further. But we’re going to find out that Ezra is a pretty little liar, too.

TVLINE | No! Not our sweet Ezra.
Oh my god, he’s omitted some important things. He has not been straightforward… We are also going to meet his mom and his brother.

TVLINE | Speaking of family, what’s happening with Spencer and her brood?
There’s a tectonic shift in the Hastings home when her parents do something very shocking. Wren is also back in the picture and doing his rotation at Radley Sanitarium, so Hanna’s going to have quite a few encounters with him. She needs him because she clearly wants to talk to Mona.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars Premiere: Who’s Using Alcohol to Ease the Post-Mon’A’ Pain?

TVLINE | Does that mean trouble for “Haleb”?
There may be some “Haleb” issues on the horizon. Now that Tyler Blackburn is a series regular, he has bonding scenes with other Liars. He and Spencer actually become quite close, but I’m not saying romantically. He just has more exposure this season.

TVLINE | What can you tease about the baddies of Rosewood: Jenna, Mona, and Lucas?
Something happened over these five months, and Lucas has gone a little dark on us… but we don’t know what it is. He’s a more ragged version of the character we’ve known. Right now, Mona is under lock and key, so she’s not really an antagonist for the girls. But you are going to see some growth. Is she getting better or more mentally ill is going to be the question, and she’s going to keep us guessing. And whether Jenna’s just been wrongly pegged as the black widow of Rosewood or whether she’s been victimized herself is going to be a big question in Season 3… and [the answer] is a game changer for us.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Summer TV Preview

1. Elyse says:

i. can’t. wait.

2. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

I was so angry at the last finale when they went with the obvious (if you’ve read the books) choice for “A.” And, I swore I was never going to get so excited about this show again.

Here I am, about six hours shy of the premiere, counting down the minutes. *sigh* I’m too old to feel like this over a show on ABC Family.

• KBC says:

*sigh* I’m too old to feel like this over a show on ABC Family. – LOL! I am with you there! Like, for real. I remember when Melissa Explained it All and Joey was “whoa-ing” all over the place! OY.

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Me, too! I was all about Blossom back in the day. I’m going to chalk my PLL obsession up to arrested development. Though, I do feel skeevy when I think, “Man, Toby’s kind of hot–wait, you can go to jail for that now.”

• sigh… I’m a 42-year-old mom of two over-20 girls and I sit here rooting for Ezria and feeling bad about doing it, but does that stop me? Not one bit.

• KBC says:

Ha! This is where IMDB comes in, Keegan Allen (Toby) is 22…so you’re good! :) And I know this because I HAD to look up Spencer, who is really 26. Phew.

3. Jaselle says:

Bring back that Australian kid who played Duncan on PLL he’s HOT

4. Sam says:

I sincerely hope Maya is actually dead. I know I’m in the minority, but I really don’t like her.

5. no thanks says:

“Emily is arguably the most messed up by the whole situation, given Maya’s presumed death.
    Yeah, she’ll meet Maya’s cousin [played by Sterling Sulieman], and he throws her for a loop. In Maya’s absence, he represents something; he’s a sexy, sweet guy and Emily can’t help but develop feelings for him, too.”

UGH.

Sincerely,
    a lesbian

• Breannna says:

I feel your pain.
      Emily and maya are so cute..
      Maya needs to come back and her and Emily need to continue!
      Sincerely, a bisexual

• Haley says:

I agree… except for the part about Maya coming back
        I spent all of her screen time wanting to punch her.
        But, seriously, Maya’s cousin? No.
        Sincerely,
        A bisexual.

6. Rebekah. H says:

CAN’T WAITE FOR THIS SEASON.
    going to be an amazing one. knowing the 3 new secrets in town.
    PLL ROCKS. love you hannah, emily,aria and spencer

7. William says:

I’m really bothered by the fact that Maya died. The writers purposely ruined her relationship with Emily in S2 for no apparent reason. It’s a big slap in the face towards Emily/Maya fans. Like I doubt they would even think twice about killing off Ezra, Toby, or Caleb.

8. lorena says:

kinda mad why would they change emily’s sexuality like that plus she was all sad when maya was bi why make her bi this is stupid they should keep her the way she is -___-

• gerrica says:

They aren’t really changing her sexuality. It’s probably more of the thing that Emily is griefing and she meets Maya’s cousin and she develops feelings for him that aren’t feelings. She just things that he is as close as she can ever get to Maya again.

9. Elizabeth says:

I believe their just trying to make it more twisted. Which its really not. Emily is really bisexual, but she likes being lesbian more I guess. I think its genius

10. bek says:

i think emily is bisexual. or maybe she actually doesnt know what her sexuality really is. she gets feelings for whoever is there for her and cares about her. im happy that maya comes back becasue then emily will be back to her normal self. emily is a damage reck now. she has lost the plot sadly to say even thought i love emily so much.. she parties and drinks. thats not the real emily. maya needs to come back ASAP and save emily. :)) they are very cute couples them to,,
    so exited for this season. go PLL
    shay mitchell is really hot..
    but caleb i want you…!!!!! <33333

11. daphne says:

i wish they didnt make maya died her and emily are cute together not emily and paige