Mad Men’s Peggy Gone For Good? Say It Ain’t So!

Get More: Controversy, News

Elisabeth Moss Leaving Mad MenIf Don had kissed your feet instead, Peggy, would you have stuck around?

Mad Men viewers no doubt noticed the recently resigned copywriter’s absence from the most recent episode, “Commissions and Fees.” Now Jared Harris — whose own character, Lane, recently and eternally checked out of the firm he helped found — is telling The Daily that Elisabeth Moss’ powerful performance in the previous week’s episode was also her last with the show.

Before you drown your sorrows in a stiff Scotch, there are a few things to take into consideration. It’s likely that Moss’ exit took place when it did to facilitate the actress’ participation in other projects, like the BBC miniseries, Top of the Lake.

Even if there were no real-world scheduling issues at hand, it would make no sense for creator Matthew Weiner to ditch Ms. Olsen now. In terms of plot, Peggy and Don are Mad Men’s two guiding lights. There are good arguments that the show is as much about her journey as it is his, and that it wouldn’t be the powerhouse it is if either of them jetted off.

But on the off chance that Harris isn’t mistaken and Weiner has done the unthinkable, what do you think of a Mad Men permanently without Peggy? Would you watch? Weigh in below!

Comments (133)

• I’m not sure I’d watch it without her… Maybe, but it wouldn’t ever feel the same.

Comment by Jacob – June 5, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of the best scenes from the show come from Don and Peggy’s interactions together. To loose one half would be wrong!! Plus as someone else just said I would like to see some acknowledgement of the baby that Pete and Peggy had…When you think about it her character has come a long way over the seasons since she did the horizontal with that toad!!

Comment by Sparky – June 5, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um….no more Peggy? Why bother.

Comment by Christine – June 5, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It will be hard to watch it she is gone for good!

Comment by tvfan – June 6, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not going to happen. And if it were true, I’m pretty damn sure it’d be Elisabeth Moss and/or Matthew Weiner making the announcement.

Comment by Dani – June 5, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not usually the kind of person to say this, but I would stop watching if Elisabeth Moss were no longer on the show. Don’s nothing without Peggy to examine him.

Comment by Brent – June 5, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men without Peggy Olsen is not Mad Men at all. If it’s true, then that’s definitely not a sufficient exit for one of the show’s “guiding lights.”

Comment by Jonathan F. – June 5, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course I would still watch. We have what, 14 more guaranteed eps remaining (series finale Sunday; 1 more confirmed season)?! Things are wrapping up, folks!

Comment by MadMenFan – June 5, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 27 more. We are guaranteed a final season 7.

Comment by EXL – June 5, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Only one more season is confirmed, but there’s an option on a seventh season.
        To make it clear, if Matthew Weiner or AMC are convinced that the story is complete when season six ends (which is very unlikely…), it will be the end of the show. Else, the option about the seventh season means that they don’t have any contracts to negotiate again, as it’s already covered by the current deal.

Comment by Dwigt – June 5, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peggy represented female empowerment for me. It would be hard to watch it without her. Unfortunately, Joan definitely does NOT represent that after what she did a couple of episodes ago. :( I was also hoping for more of a resolution to the story of Peggy’s baby with Pete.

Comment by pam – June 5, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still love Joan and I can’t say I’ve lost any respect for that character!

Comment by Nerdista (@Nerdista) – June 5, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping for the same on the baby … They never talk about, it is like never happened .. Peggy is one of the best characters in the show .. She’ll be missed …

Comment by Risan – June 5, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am guessing they are under the impression Megan will represent female empowerment now by the fact she’s trying to be more than a housewife. Ugh. Don’t do this to me, Weiner.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 6, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a world without Peggy Olsen isn’t just right, I hope she can come back. Mad Men won’t be the same without her. Maybe seeing Peggy with her own ad agency down the line?

Comment by DoctorWho2012 – June 5, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be better seeing her interviewing Don for a job once the firm shuts its doors!!!

Comment by mmaynell – June 8, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll still watch, but it would be a mistake to not at least give her a recurring role. Don’t be a stranger, Peggy.

Comment by Rocky – June 5, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Call Matt Weiner and find out. NOW! Please. I, um, um, don’t upset me unnessarily.

Comment by Denise – June 5, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whew!! –> This was my exact thought, too, on her “depature”:

Comment by Robb – June 5, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reading Harris’ actual statements, it seems like he’s not sure of Moss’ status on the show, and was just using Peggy’s leaving SCDP as an example of characters leaving. Nothing about whether or not she’ll be back. The article’s a bit misleading on that front.

Comment by Elijah Sarkesian – June 5, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kimberly has completely misread the article.
      What Harris says is that there was no special going away party for him, even if he left before the end of the season. It was the same for Elisabeth Moss, and it has nothing to do with her involvement on the next seasons, just that she wrapped her part early compared to him, that you won’t see her in the season finale, just as you didn’t see her in Sunday’s episode.

Comment by sammybijaoui – June 5, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think people see what they want to see, and IMO he slipped up bad. Doesn’t require rocket science here: “…other people had left the show that had been there since the beginning. Elisabeth [Moss] left the episode before and she’d been there since the beginning.” He said the same thing twice, subbing in EM as a 1-for-1 example the second time. Ergo she is someone who has left the show.

Comment by Danyelle – June 5, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment by breaking_bad (@tvd_luis) – June 5, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope he’s wrong. Peggy in integral to this show and I know I enjoy it less when she’s not around. I’d probably still watch for now but it wouldn’t take much more of a push for me to walk way if Peggy really is gone for good. I’d also be really heart-broken that we did not get one last scene betwee Peggy and Joan. Besides her relationship with Don, that is the Peggy relationship in which I’m the most invested.

Comment by Kelly – June 5, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peggy is the only character that feasibly COULD continue to be followed beyond leaving Don’s orbit, as the show from day one has been a sort of dual-journey for them. I would believe this going either way, but count me among those crossing my fingers that she stays on the show!

Comment by John – June 5, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By the end of next Season it will be just Pete Campbell and Bert Cooper rolling around in a beat up ford searching for werewolves.

Comment by Kevin Gustafson – June 5, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch that!

Comment by ElKabong – June 5, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahahahahahaha thats hilarous Kevin….and so true.

Comment by Diana A – July 2, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you read the next question in that The Daily interview, you would see that Jared Harris actually says he has “no idea what Matthew Weiner intends to do”

Comment by jayjay – June 5, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon TV Line — you should know better than that!!!!

The Daily’s headline is misleading, which means your headline is misleading.

Here’s what The Daily asked Harris:

“Oh, is Peggy dead from the show like Lane is?”

And here is Harris’ answer:

“Um… I have no idea what Matthew Weiner intends to do and even then I couldn’t tell you.”

Comment by Rob – June 5, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, Harris wouldn’t have been there for the filming of the last episode of the season, so he quite honestly may not know at all.

Comment by Rock Golf – June 5, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What would make more sense is if Peggy was seen in just a few episodes here and there. When you think about it she was barely in more than a few this season. Other possibility is that she would leave her new agency, but there’s no reason for her to do that unless Don adjusts his chauvinist attitudes and she becomes his real #2.

Comment by hbeach – June 5, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just teared up a little bit (not really), so clearly, I am NOT OKAY WITH THIS. I love Mad Men, I love Don Draper and his adventures in seeking happiness, but I also love Peggy. I’m the same age as she is on the show, and I think I even see myself in her a bit. She is (was? Hopefully, is) the heart of SCDP for me. I’d still watch it, because I love Jon Hamm and will watch him in anything, but it wouldn’t be the same.

Comment by A.J. – June 5, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last we saw Peggy, was in profile as she walked towards an off-screen elevator. Cut to black.. “You Really Got Me” plays.

Well, what if that elevator wasn’t there? Don Draper earlier this season saw the doors open to an empty shaft.

It would not surprise me at all to have the last scene of this season being the discovery of Peggy’s dead body at the bottom of the elevator shaft. She may be “The Phantom” of the episode’s title.

Comment by Rock Golf – June 5, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only would that be an unusually dumb writing decision for Matthew Weiner to kill her second most important character like that, but it is also based on a mistake.

Go watch that scene again and you’ll see a) that the elevator she takes is the left one, whereas the broken one Don opened was the right one, and b) that as she looks back at SCDP’s reception the elevator door opens, and her face is illuminated by its light (the empty elevator shaft was dark as Don saw it), and she turns her head towards it and looks before she walks inside.

So definitely no. Peggy didn’t die.

Comment by Manuel – June 5, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So you’re confirming? You saw Peggy “walk towards the light”? Gee, that doesn’t sound symbolic. Not at all.

Besides, can you recall a single other instance in the series where either a) there was a light from the elevator illuminating people waiting to get on?, or b) a camera set-up where someone entered the elevator without us also seeing the elevator? Outside of Grey’s Anatomy, this show must have the most elevator scenes of any current TV drama, and they’ve never framed a scene like that before.

Comment by Rock Golf – June 6, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • please stop with this crazy “Peggy fell down the elevator shaft” thing. She was simply happy to be moving forward as a free thinking and independant woman. Don’t you think someone would have noticed that she was nowhere to be found?? such as her live in boyfriend, other friends and her family? don’t you think they would have called the office first to see where she was? Enough of this silliness….she’s gone, she moved on in the business world. It freakin happens all the time! why can’t people just accept that?

Comment by Patty – June 6, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lots of things “freakin happen all the time”, but they don’t make interesting TV. On the other hand, I’ve never worked in an office where someone had their foot cut off by a lawn mower, or had a fist fight in the board room, or hung themselves in their office.

(Do I really think Peggy’s dead? Well, I definitely think Matthew Weiner has planted enough clues to make some people think she’s dead.)

Comment by Rock Golf – June 6, 2012 05:38 PM PDT
    • Could we *please* stop talking about the elevator shaft? There is no broken elevator. Don had a “moment” in which he imagined the earth opening up below him because his wife had just left the firm. It was a metaphor.

Comment by susela – June 6, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt Weiner is a dude who really loves his metaphors. I believe the elevator shaft is just a metaphor for people leaving Don’s life before he is ready. Megan leaves the office where he’s thoroughly enjoyed sharing his life with her at, then Peggy, his work wife, takes the elevator to go to another company. And now Lane is gone too. He took his final elevator trip up in the sky.
      I have noticed it is super easy for people to take Weiner literally on stuff he does like this. Like all the discussion with Pete’s shotgun, which I still believe is nothing more than a metaphor for Pete’s manhood. It doesn’t necessarily have to be an instrument of death just because it was introduced in the show. Following rules of writing like, “Oh, you’ve shown a shotgun in the 1st act, so that means by the 3rd act it has to go off…” is hack, IMO. Weiner is definitely the type of writer who pretty much does whatever he wants with his show, and it almost always works out well.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 6, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Elisabeth Moss indeed left “Mad Men,” it may have been part of Matthew Weiner’s deal with Lionsgate and/or AMC to whittle down the cast. That would make sense. If we knew about it, would we have watched?

Comment by Carol – June 5, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO. Mad Men is the Don & Peggy show. No way is she gone.

Comment by Megan – June 5, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Comment by Molly – June 5, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t deal with this.

Comment by John – June 5, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show and she has always been one of my favorite characters. I am going to miss her if she leaves. And ok, its been 5 years, but… i still want her to get back together with Pete. Loved them together!! :))

Comment by Josh Hayden (@JoshHaydenJH) – June 5, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!! I love Peggy. This is depressing. This entire season has been depressing.

Comment by Patrick – June 5, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does it occur to anyone that Harris may have been a bit bitter about his own departure and would maybe like people to think Moss is leaving, too? Just saying…

Comment by Pat Graney – June 6, 2012 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ITS A SALARY DUMP.

Comment by BrianR – June 5, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more Peggy would make me so sad. She’s just as important as Don and the show wouldn’t be the same without her, she’s my favorite.
    I can’t with this.

Comment by dani – June 5, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having Peggy elsewhere will allow the show to expand its scope in the coming season. That world of SCDPC’s can get claustrophobic, especially with the character of Don Draper necessarily taking up so much of its space. It’ll be good to see Peggy evolve as she couldn’t have if she’d stayed.

Comment by nabocane – June 5, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!!! Please let us have Peggy and get rid of the horribble new Mrs Drapper. Do not like Meghan at all.

Comment by Bri – June 5, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she’s gone.. That’s bye bye for me.. She’s been the absolute best part of the show recently, and the only reason I’m still watching.

Comment by Rody – June 5, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she’s gone, it’s a Bye Bye Birdie for me too.

Comment by Manuel – June 5, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what are you talking about? She hasn’t had much of a role this season anyways. Her character has run it’s course. Don is not gonna let her back after she left him for his competitor.

Comment by Davina – June 7, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would miss Peggy, but that wouldn’t stop me from watching; it’d still be a good show.

Comment by Ben – June 5, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She can be, she’s the lead.

Comment by Sarah – June 5, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No she isn’t. Jessica Pare is.

Comment by DanR. – June 5, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that I HATE the title of this extremely misleading article.

Comment by elr – June 5, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading a lot of the comments I guess I’m in the minority on this, but Peggy was never a “must have” for me on the show. I mainly watch it for the interesting setting and good plot – no matter who’s the lead. So if the plot remains strong, then I don’t care who really gets killed off, within reason of course (would be bizarre if almost the entire cast got killed off).

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – June 5, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • part of me kinda hopes that his means we get more of Ken Cosgrove and and Harry Crane. They’re really great this season.

Comment by Talmidge Mcgulliger – June 5, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not the biggest Mad Men fan in the world. In general, I just don’t see the utter brilliance that so many others do. Most of the time, anyway. There are times when I do see it, and more often than not, those times involve the relationship between Don and Peggy. I think she’s absolutely essential to the show, almost as important as Don himself. I’d be severely disappointed if they got rid of her.

Comment by Superhero – June 5, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not a big fan? but severely disappointed? yeah, that makes sense!

Comment by GOOFS – June 5, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But I never said I didn’t enjoy it, did I? I just said I don’t enjoy it as much as others do. And that only applies to the show overall, as I also said I love Don and Peggy’s relationship. So what, exactly, is the problem?

Comment by Superhero – June 5, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see the brilliance of the show but having said that what kept me personally watching was the Don and Peggy relationship. Their moments were some of the best written scenes on television. I DO think she is essential to the show, almost as essential as Don (I would say her character has been placed second in importance writing wise). But if she goes, I go. Oh well. That’s how I see it. If the writer wants to focus more on Megan story lines and her AWESOMENESS as a character then by all means, that’s his prerogative (if this is indeed true which remains to be seen). I just won’t stick around to watch it.

Comment by Autumn – June 5, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they ditched Peggy im ditching the show

Comment by ggny – June 5, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man, the show really is just as much about her as it is don. he first day was the pilot and she’s mesmerizing, i will watch to the bitter end but if she’s gone for good i will miss her in every episode.

Comment by emily – June 5, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! Peggy can’t be gone for good! Jared Harris, you’re great, but I really, really hope you’re wrong. :(

Comment by Angela – June 5, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if I’d quit watching at this point. But without her and Lane the show is greatly compromised. They can’t get Lane back but they surely can keep her if they want to. I think it’s vital to keep her. She provides lots of interest. That’s my opinion. I’ll give it a little time without her but not too long. I think this is a bad move.

Comment by Jo-An – June 5, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • reading the article, I got the distinct impression that Elisabeth and Jared just wrapped their work earlier than other actors/actresses on the show did. Lane obviously won’t be back, but clearly there’s room for Peggy to return, and Harris even says that he has no idea what Weiner’s plans for Peggy are, and even if he did, he couldn’t spill. so…overreacting much?

Comment by kate – June 5, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say, HALLELUJAH! She has always been my least favorite character on the show. Count me in as one of the many who wasn’t that upset over Lane leaving the show either.

Comment by KJS11 – June 5, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Men was always an ensemble show. Didn’t notice Peggy’s absence on Sunday’s episode, so I don’t care if she ever comes back or not.

Comment by Ensemble Fan – June 5, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • noooooooo peggy was my favorite but looking back on her last episode, if it was her last, it gave quite a lot of closure and it was a good goodbye

Comment by CatLyons – June 5, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t see a character as integral as Peggy being written out completely. She’ll be back, if only in a recurring role. So, nope, not the time to freak out just yet.

Gotta say, though, it’s been tough seeing two of my three favourite characters — Don is #3 after Peggy and Lane — exiting within a single week. But, no matter what, I be sticking w/this show till the bitter end!

Comment by Dawn – June 5, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im sorry but I watch most of Mad Men because of Elisabeth’s character Peggy. If she isn’t back next season it will feel flat. Im not sure if I’ll continue watching or not.

Comment by Rachel – June 5, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to think this could have only happened on Moss’ own accord, and even then, I can’t see it. Why in the world would she leave a show like this?

Comment by seanje – June 5, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she is not coming back that’s fine for now. But since she and Don are the anchors of the show Peggy’s absence will force the writers to focus on another anchor that has been used sparingly like Joan although flawed Joan represents the other half of what women were going through back then. Peggy was the new generation of women going against the establishment but Joan is an Apex women who navigates “the establishment.” I do think Peggy will be back in some way but if not then the focus needs to change on someone like a Joan and not let it be all just on Don. Plus I don’t miss Peggy’s lame quirks with her lame sniveling boy friend, I did however enjoyed her moments with the Lesbian girl, she was a way to push Peggy forward and introduced us to the non Madison ave culture and all the crazy fashion. So good luck to Peggy Olsen but the show can continue with out her if the writers chose well and I think that they will since they gave her a powerful ending that showed us all how far she had come, from a naive secretary humping a toad like Campbell to the women she is today who has Don Draper the lady killer kissing her hand only to rejecting him as well as thanking him … “Don’t be a stranger”.

Comment by Miguel Angel – June 5, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post