Parenthood Scoop: Jason Ritter Will Return in Season 4… But For How Long?

Get More: Interviews, Scoop

It was the question on everyone’s mind following the Parenthood finale: Would recurring star Jason Ritter — who at the time had a new pilot in the works with exec producer Jason Katims — return for Season 4 of the drama? It seemed inevitable, given the way his character, Mark, proposed to Lauren Graham‘s Sarah when last we saw them, but he and the Powers That Be had yet to confirm his involvement next year… until now.

“As far as I understand, they want to keep me around, and we’ll do as many episodes with me as we can all do,” Ritter told TVLine at last weekend’s inaugural ATX Television Festival in Austin.

However, the actor will not be elevated to a full-time series regular, something he and the show initially discussed. “There are so many regulars that I think that they would probably drop people before they’d add people,” he explained — a fact that is actually OK by Ritter. Well, kinda.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

“Basically, when you’re a recurring character, other jobs can come along,” he shared. “But it’s tough when you’re a recurring character on Parenthood, because nothing else looks as enticing… I do get the sense that they want to use me quite a bit next season, though.”

While Ritter was still in the dark as to how Sarah will respond to Mark’s proposal in Season 4, he did offer that “it’s safe to say that she doesn’t just flat out say, ‘No, I never want to see you again.’ I think she’ll either say ‘yes,’ or she’ll be concerned about some of the issues we haven’t dealt with yet.”

Like their differing desires on the show’s titular topic, perhaps? “I would imagine that would come up again, just because it’s such a big thing to talk about,” he mused.

All that said, Ritter is thrilled to be sticking around for the ride. “The great thing about Jason Katims and that whole writing staff is no matter what I imagine my dream is [for Mark], they always think of something better and more beautiful.”

Are you happy Jason Ritter will be back on Parenthood next season? Hit the comments!

Comments (35)

• Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by c-mo – June 5, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jason Ritter, but Sarah and Mark are just not cute anymore to me.

Comment by ACAC – June 5, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed about County not getting picked up as a series for NBC but I really more of Jason Ritter on how his character Mark would fare in Season Four and don’t rule out just yet if Minka Kelly plans a return in the upcoming season and if it does, we may see a completely different side of Gaby no one has ever seen before on Parenthood. FYI Just a rumor.

Comment by Tran – June 5, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, sorry about the grammar. Forgot to type in the following: but I really want “more” of Jason Ritter BLAH BLAH BLAH

Comment by Tran – June 5, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t it a little late for Gaby to have an impact now that Crosby and Jasmine are married? I love Jason Ritter but the relationship of Sarah and Mark just doesn’t work on several levels.

Comment by Linderella – June 5, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, dude, Gaby was a means to an end. Her sole purpose on the show was to be Max’s temporary aide and then facilitate Crosby and Jasmine’s breakup. She was just a plot device meant to bring the two storylines together. She never meant anything to Crosby and Max seems to be doing just fine now without an aide. It’s not that deep. Besides, Minka Kelly will be filming her role as Jackie O. in some movie coming out later this year or early next year.

Comment by ACAC – June 5, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay. I love Mark and Sarah. I wish they would make him regular but yeah, they have too much of them. As long as he stays around…

Comment by Lena – June 5, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happiness! Love this show, any direction they take it!

Comment by Shan – June 5, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Sarah and Mark to be together but I hope they will also focus more on Sarah´s career. I don´t want them to discuss baby issues for the whole season again.

Comment by Jana – June 5, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy! LOVE LOVE LOVE Mark and the storyline with him and Sarah. Writing is great- their conversations ring so true. And he’s a nice balance to Sarah’s neurosis!

Comment by JennyB – June 5, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would love for him to be a series regular, but I’ll take as much Jason Ritter as I can get. I hope Mark sticks around even only as a recurring character in PARENTHOOD for the long haul.

Comment by Aiden – June 5, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever!! i’m happy as long as he’s around and as long as parenthood is on the air!

Comment by kay – June 5, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me, too! that’s all i want =)

Comment by jen – June 6, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The advice I would give to men like Jason Ritter would be:

“if you can’t grow a full beard, . ..then don’t try. Shave.”

Comment by J. Norman – June 5, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Sarah and MArk to get married!! They are so cute together

Comment by Line – June 5, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this. Love Jason and love Sarah and Mark together.

Comment by Lucy – June 5, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Sarah and Mark are the worse characters on the show

Comment by livvy – June 5, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Mark, he’s nice, but I’d prefer Seth for Sarah as her guy. If I could choose, I would love for John Corbett to return! Sorry Jason! I love the character Jason but I think Seth’s character is more interesting to develop. Mark is too soft, he’s young and a blank page so I don’t feel he belongs with Sarah, who has gone through so much in her life. So I’m still hoping John will return to play Seth again.

Comment by Caro – June 6, 2012 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They shouldn’t promote him to regular (or anybody for that matter) until they are considered “part of the family”. As for Jabar he was Crosby’s son, and Jasmine, as Jabar’s mother and Crosby’s then girlfriend, it was quite clear she wasn’t going anywhere. I also agree at the idea of Seth being an alternative candidate for Sarah to date. I felt like their relationship was building to something, but then Jason Ritter was available so they backed out.

Comment by JDHetherington – June 6, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all good. Let Gaby come around. It won’t be Crosby she’s after. SO glad the show returns even at the expense of County. Another hospital show c’mon hospitals are just not fun. Braverman’s baby!

Comment by Tom – June 6, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news !

Comment by Laurel – June 6, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such great news, I was actually thinking about this yesterday as Jason’s pilot did not get picked up so I was assuming he would be back on Parenthood for more than a couple episodes. I know it is a big cast but the some of the characters, Sydney, Max, Camille, Zeek, Joel and Drew are not always on alot so I think that they would be able to have Jason be a “full time’ member. However at least we will be seeing him a fair amount!

Comment by sarah – June 6, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I hadn’t realised “County” hadn’t been picked up. Shame, I was looking forward to that. I like Mark though. Unlike some here, I think he has good chemestry with Sarah. Plus he’s a good guy, which I think Sarah just deserves. She’s seen enough rough times. A little happiness is not out of place.

Comment by Mitholas – June 6, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is garbage

Comment by Art – June 6, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woot!!!!! I love Mark + Sarah!!!
    Though I hope Sarah’s writing career gets explored more in the upcoming season.
    And what about bringing back Michael C Jordan!!!??!!!

Comment by mia – June 6, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooooove Parenthood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Britt – June 8, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched Brothers and Sisters, and Parenthood. I like Parenthood better. I like the actors, and the characters better. The story lines seem more realistic and reasonable to me. I’m glad Jason Ritter’s sticking around. I like his beard. Who has a full beard these days except old men? Ugly…..

Comment by Karen Orr – June 21, 2012 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s my favorite show. I love Jason Ritter, and also the rest of the cast.

Comment by Joyce Martin – June 27, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Mark. Sarah and Seth FTW!

Comment by fan8 – July 3, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah baby! In late-summer desperation, I just watched the old pilot of Brothers and Sisters, but there’s no humor! Hurry up and come back, Parenthood! You’re the BEST!

Comment by Danis – August 25, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark is the sweetest guy EVER!!! him and Sarah make a very cute couple…they blance each other out. They make each other laugh, and that is sooooo important in a long lasting relationship. Come on Sarah…say YES!!! to the proposal <3 <3 if you don't…I WILL!!!! lol….

Comment by Diane – August 26, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is great but not for Sarah! Looks way to young for her

Comment by Judy – September 19, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah’s character in Season 4 would need to mature sufficiently to be in any type of romantic relationship. She does not appreciate Mark’s commitment and is easily swayed into “liking” her boss, who also has a weak character. Let’s have some respect for other people’s relationship. Mark has the least amount of parenting experience but makes the most sense among the three.

Unless Sarah’s character learns to listen and communicate more efficiently, she will fail in all relationships.

Please make her grow up. She has a good heart. Hopefully Seth is not in Sarah’s romantic future; they are better off as friends. He has hurt the family enough and needs a new start with someone who has not experienced his destructive side.

On a side note, Ray Romano is better in comedy than as a cranky old man.

Comment by Jan – November 29, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there a way to flag this crap?

Comment by Cathy – June 5, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deleted, and IP blocked.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 5, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post