Parenthood Scoop: Jason Ritter Will Return in Season 4... But For How Long?

It was the question on everyone’s mind following the Parenthood finale: Would recurring star Jason Ritter — who at the time had a new pilot in the works with exec producer Jason Katims — return for Season 4 of the drama? It seemed inevitable, given the way his character, Mark, proposed to Lauren Graham‘s Sarah when last we saw them, but he and the Powers That Be had yet to confirm his involvement next year… until now.

“As far as I understand, they want to keep me around, and we’ll do as many episodes with me as we can all do,” Ritter told TVLine at last weekend’s inaugural ATX Television Festival in Austin.

However, the actor will not be elevated to a full-time series regular, something he and the show initially discussed. “There are so many regulars that I think that they would probably drop people before they’d add people,” he explained — a fact that is actually OK by Ritter. Well, kinda.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

“Basically, when you’re a recurring character, other jobs can come along,” he shared. “But it’s tough when you’re a recurring character on Parenthood, because nothing else looks as enticing… I do get the sense that they want to use me quite a bit next season, though.”

While Ritter was still in the dark as to how Sarah will respond to Mark’s proposal in Season 4, he did offer that “it’s safe to say that she doesn’t just flat out say, ‘No, I never want to see you again.’ I think she’ll either say ‘yes,’ or she’ll be concerned about some of the issues we haven’t dealt with yet.”

Like their differing desires on the show’s titular topic, perhaps? “I would imagine that would come up again, just because it’s such a big thing to talk about,” he mused.

All that said, Ritter is thrilled to be sticking around for the ride. “The great thing about Jason Katims and that whole writing staff is no matter what I imagine my dream is [for Mark], they always think of something better and more beautiful.”

Are you happy Jason Ritter will be back on Parenthood next season? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop

1. c-mo says:

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ACAC says:

I love Jason Ritter, but Sarah and Mark are just not cute anymore to me.

3. Tran says:

Disappointed about County not getting picked up as a series for NBC but I really more of Jason Ritter on how his character Mark would fare in Season Four and don’t rule out just yet if Minka Kelly plans a return in the upcoming season and if it does, we may see a completely different side of Gaby no one has ever seen before on Parenthood. FYI Just a rumor.

• Tran says:

Oops, sorry about the grammar. Forgot to type in the following: but I really want “more” of Jason Ritter BLAH BLAH BLAH

• Linderella says:

Isn’t it a little late for Gaby to have an impact now that Crosby and Jasmine are married? I love Jason Ritter but the relationship of Sarah and Mark just doesn’t work on several levels.

• ACAC says:

Seriously, dude, Gaby was a means to an end. Her sole purpose on the show was to be Max’s temporary aide and then facilitate Crosby and Jasmine’s breakup. She was just a plot device meant to bring the two storylines together. She never meant anything to Crosby and Max seems to be doing just fine now without an aide. It’s not that deep. Besides, Minka Kelly will be filming her role as Jackie O. in some movie coming out later this year or early next year.

4. Lena says:

yay. I love Mark and Sarah. I wish they would make him regular but yeah, they have too much of them. As long as he stays around…

5. Shan says:

Happiness! Love this show, any direction they take it!

6. Jana says:

I want Sarah and Mark to be together but I hope they will also focus more on Sarah´s career. I don´t want them to discuss baby issues for the whole season again.

7. JennyB says:

Very happy! LOVE LOVE LOVE Mark and the storyline with him and Sarah. Writing is great- their conversations ring so true. And he’s a nice balance to Sarah’s neurosis!

8. Aiden says:

Would love for him to be a series regular, but I’ll take as much Jason Ritter as I can get. I hope Mark sticks around even only as a recurring character in PARENTHOOD for the long haul.

9. kay says:

best news ever!! i’m happy as long as he’s around and as long as parenthood is on the air!

10. J. Norman says:

The advice I would give to men like Jason Ritter would be:

“if you can’t grow a full beard, . ..then don’t try. Shave.”

11. Line says:

I want Sarah and MArk to get married!! They are so cute together

12. Lucy says:

So happy about this. Love Jason and love Sarah and Mark together.

13. livvy says:

Ugh. Sarah and Mark are the worse characters on the show

14. Caro says:

I like Mark, he’s nice, but I’d prefer Seth for Sarah as her guy. If I could choose, I would love for John Corbett to return! Sorry Jason! I love the character Jason but I think Seth’s character is more interesting to develop. Mark is too soft, he’s young and a blank page so I don’t feel he belongs with Sarah, who has gone through so much in her life. So I’m still hoping John will return to play Seth again.

15. JDHetherington says:

They shouldn’t promote him to regular (or anybody for that matter) until they are considered “part of the family”. As for Jabar he was Crosby’s son, and Jasmine, as Jabar’s mother and Crosby’s then girlfriend, it was quite clear she wasn’t going anywhere. I also agree at the idea of Seth being an alternative candidate for Sarah to date. I felt like their relationship was building to something, but then Jason Ritter was available so they backed out.

16. Tom says:

It’s all good. Let Gaby come around. It won’t be Crosby she’s after. SO glad the show returns even at the expense of County. Another hospital show c’mon hospitals are just not fun. Braverman’s baby!

17. Laurel says:

Great news !

18. sarah says:

Such great news, I was actually thinking about this yesterday as Jason’s pilot did not get picked up so I was assuming he would be back on Parenthood for more than a couple episodes. I know it is a big cast but the some of the characters, Sydney, Max, Camille, Zeek, Joel and Drew are not always on alot so I think that they would be able to have Jason be a “full time’ member. However at least we will be seeing him a fair amount!

19. Mitholas says:

Oh, I hadn’t realised “County” hadn’t been picked up. Shame, I was looking forward to that. I like Mark though. Unlike some here, I think he has good chemestry with Sarah. Plus he’s a good guy, which I think Sarah just deserves. She’s seen enough rough times. A little happiness is not out of place.

20. Art says:

This show is garbage

21. mia says:

Woot!!!!! I love Mark + Sarah!!!
    Though I hope Sarah’s writing career gets explored more in the upcoming season.
    And what about bringing back Michael C Jordan!!!??!!!

22. Britt says:

I sooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooooove Parenthood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Karen Orr says:

I’ve watched Brothers and Sisters, and Parenthood. I like Parenthood better. I like the actors, and the characters better. The story lines seem more realistic and reasonable to me. I’m glad Jason Ritter’s sticking around. I like his beard. Who has a full beard these days except old men? Ugly…..

24. Joyce Martin says:

It’s my favorite show. I love Jason Ritter, and also the rest of the cast.

25. fan8 says:

I don’t like Mark. Sarah and Seth FTW!

26. Danis says:

Yeah baby! In late-summer desperation, I just watched the old pilot of Brothers and Sisters, but there’s no humor! Hurry up and come back, Parenthood! You’re the BEST!

27. Diane says:

Mark is the sweetest guy EVER!!! him and Sarah make a very cute couple…they blance each other out. They make each other laugh, and that is sooooo important in a long lasting relationship. Come on Sarah…say YES!!! to the proposal <3 <3 if you don't…I WILL!!!! lol….

28. Judy says:

He is great but not for Sarah! Looks way to young for her

29. Jan says:

Sarah’s character in Season 4 would need to mature sufficiently to be in any type of romantic relationship. She does not appreciate Mark’s commitment and is easily swayed into “liking” her boss, who also has a weak character. Let’s have some respect for other people’s relationship. Mark has the least amount of parenting experience but makes the most sense among the three.

Unless Sarah’s character learns to listen and communicate more efficiently, she will fail in all relationships.

Please make her grow up. She has a good heart. Hopefully Seth is not in Sarah’s romantic future; they are better off as friends. He has hurt the family enough and needs a new start with someone who has not experienced his destructive side.

On a side note, Ray Romano is better in comedy than as a cranky old man.

30. Cathy says:

Is there a way to flag this crap?

31. Matt Webb Mitovich says: