Community, Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, Mad Men, Girls Lead Critics’ Choice Nominations

Critics Choice Awards Nominees 2013No, you’re not having a Dreamatorium experience: Nominations for the second annual Critics’ Choice Television Awards have just been announced, and Community came out on top.

Despite a spate of negative press stemming from the firing of creator/showrunner Dan Harmon, NBC’s underdog comedy led the pack overall with six nods, including Best Comedy Series, Best Actor (Joel McHale), Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Danny Pudi and Jim Rash) and Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs). AMC awards-season favorites Breaking Bad and Mad Men, as well as NBC’s Parks and Recreation, followed with five nominations each.

The comedy categories boasted the most freshman favorites: HBO’s Girls and Veep, ABC’s Suburgatory and Fox’s New Girl all picked up nods. The drama list featured far more kudos vets, though Showtime’s freshman hit Homeland squeaked in with nods Best Drama Series, Best Actor in a Drama (Damian Lewis) and Best Actress in a Drama (Claire Danes). Additionally, longtime Emmy also-ran Sons of Anarchy saw three members of its ensemble (Katey Sagal, Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff) score acting nominations.

This year’s roster also opens up the competition in six new fields, including Best Movie or Miniseries; FX’s American Horror Story, PBS’s Sherlock, and HBO’s Game Change were among the top honorees.

You’ll notice that some old standbys are missing from The Best Reality Series Competition category: Though So You Think You Can Dance and The Voice were highlighted, Dancing With the Stars and last year’s winner, American Idol, were not.

The Broadcast Television Journalists Association, of which TVLine’s Michael Ausiello and Matt Webb Mitovich are members, will announce the winners at a June 18 awards gala in Beverly Hills. Until then, scan the complete list of nominations below and then hit the comments and let us know what you think!

BEST COMEDY SERIES
The Big Bang Theory
Community
Girls
Modern Family
New Girl
Parks and Recreation

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Don Cheadle (House of Lies)
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
Garret Dillahunt (Raising Hope)
Joel McHale (Community)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
Lena Dunham (Girls)
Julia Louis Dreyfus (Veep)
Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)
Ashley Rickards (Awkward)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Max Greenfield (New Girl)
Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation)
Danny Pudi (Community)
Jim Rash (Community)
Damon Wayans Jr. (Happy Endings)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
Alison Brie (Community)
Cheryl Hines (Suburgatory)
Gillian Jacobs (Community)
Eden Sher (The Middle)
Casey Wilson (Happy Endings)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A COMEDY SERIES
Becky Ann Baker (Girls)
Bobby Cannavale (Modern Family)
Kathryn Hahn (Parks and Recreation)
Justin Long (New Girl)
Paul Rudd (Parks and Recreation)
Peter Scolari (Girls)

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Homeland
Mad Men

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
Kelsey Grammer (Boss)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy)
Damian Lewis (Homeland)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Claire Danes (Homeland)
Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Emmy Rossum (Shameless)
Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad)
Neal McDonough (Justified)
John Noble (Fringe)
Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
John Slattery (Mad Men)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
Regina King (Southland)
Kelly Macdonald (Boardwalk Empire)
Maggie Siff  (Sons of Anarchy)

BEST GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Dylan Baker (Damages)
Jere Burns (Justified)
Loretta Devine (Grey’s Anatomy)
Lucy Liu (Southland)
Carrie Preston (The Good Wife)
Chloe Webb (Shameless)

BEST MOVIE/MINISERIES
American Horror Story
Luther
Sherlock
Page Eight
The Hour
Game Change

BEST ACTOR IN A MOVIE/MINISERIES
Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock)
Bill Nighy (Page Eight)
Woody Harrelson (Game Change)
Idris Elba (Luther)
Dominic West (The Hour)
Kevin Costner (Hatfields & McCoys)

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOVIE/MINISERIES
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story)
Gillian Anderson (Great Expectations)
Julianne Moore (Game Change)
Patricia Clarkson (Five)
Lara Pulver  (Sherlock)
Emily Watson (Appropriate Adult)

BEST REALITY SERIES

Shark Tank
So You Think You Can Dance
The Voice
Chopped
The Amazing Race

BEST REALITY SHOW HOST
Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars)
Nick Cannon (America’s Got Talent)
Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance)
Phil Keoghan (The Amazing Race)
RuPaul (RuPaul’s Drag Race)

BEST TALK SHOW
Conan
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The View

BEST ANIMATED SERIES
Archer
Adventure Time
Bob’s Burgers
Family Guy
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

1. No Walking Dead nominations at all. That’s just walker stupid.

• BBGOTMM says:

In my opinion, The Walking Dead doesn’t deserve any kind of nominations for it’s creative work. This season had poor pacing, characterization, and plot lines. They have a character who is defined entirely by the black-ness of his name (T-Dog) and Lori who is whatever character they need her to be that week (Lori wants Rick to kill Shane, Lori can’t believe Rick killed Shane, Lori is smart, Lori drives off alone to look for her husband who had been gone for an hour). If every episode was as good as the end scene of “Nebraska”, then maybe I could see some nominations, however, they deserve what they got, which was nothing here.

• t.t says:

Can I just note that happy endings is not a freshman comedy its in its sophomore year.

• Me34 says:

Say all you want about the show, but Jon Bernthal’s performance this last season was a stand out (I wouldn’t say Norman Reedus, because he’s actually more of a fan favorite) and since the Emmy would never recognize him for the show, it would’ve been nice to see him at least nominated here. Happy to see Giancarlo Esposito (I’m pretty confident he’ll win the next Emmy, even over Peter Dinklage, who was incredibly awesome once again in “Game of thrones”). Nice to see John Noble there, he’s been snubbed big time at the Emmys. I don’t know how I feel about Jessica Lange against Julianne Moore (clearly the front-runners and the best in there, but I wouldn’t mind to see Gillian Anderson and Patricia Clarkson winning, two great underrated nowadays actresses). Now, about the snubs, I was waiting to see Brent Sexton (now that “The killing” was cancelled he won’t get the recognition he deserved for this show, at least Michelle Forbes got the Emmy nomination); Naya Rivera for “Glee” (OK, I’m waiting you to attack me for this in 3, 2, 1..), too bad she’s trapped in that mess of a season; Donald Glover for “Community” (I actually found him funnier than Jim Rash and Danny Pudi). And I’m still looking for Ed Harris in this list (too bad they don’t include the supporting categories for TV movies, and now the Emmys combined both leading and supporting). Also Sandra Oh and KaDee Strickland (you can attack me again in 3, 2, 1…). And what happened to the “Showtime” ladies? Laura Linney, Toni Collette (the 6 people who watched the show know that she topped herself in the last season), Emmy Rossum and Edie Falco? Dramedies don’t have many respect apparently (even if they got some awards… neither the audience nor the critics want them to see in either category). And what happened to the guys from “Boardwalk Empire”? Steve Buscemi, Michael Pitt, Michael Shannon and Jack Huston were all snubbed. Also, I was waiting some love for the most underrated show of them all, “Treme”. At least here I was waiting some love, I doubt voters know it exists.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I have to agree with you on Giancarlo Esposito. I think he will surprise a lot of people and take it from Dinklage. Also agree with you on Jon Bernthal. I would have preferred Donald Glover over Jim Rash for sure, but not Danny Pudi. Laura Linney and Edie Falco were snubbed, Toni Collette I’m not sure was eligible…wouldn’t last year have been her last chance for United States of Tara? Yes, I was one of the 6 of us who watched that show and loved it. :) Emmy Rossum did get nominated for best actress under drama series. If you were looking for her under comedy, that’s incredibly understandable. I definitely see Shameless as a comedy. Treme is another one I wonder about its eligibility. It’s been a very long time since it was on. Hasn’t it? Did another season sneak by me and I missed it? I couldn’t attack you for liking Naya Rivera, Kadee Strickland and Sandra Oh. You seem to have such great taste in some really great shows, so I couldn’t do that. :) It’s the people who insist only Glee actors or only people from Shonda Rhymes shows should be nominated that make me die inside. You seem very well rounded with your TV tastes with some great high-brow shows.

• Me34 says:

Oh, thank you, thank you! Hahahaha… :)
            It’s been more than a year without “United States of Tara”? I’m sad… :(
            About “Treme”, my bad… I downloaded the series this year since it doesn’t air here where I live (and I’ve read somewhere the show was given a limit of seasons, and after season 4, I think, it’d be cancelled… 2 more seasons to come, but still) and now I see Emmy Rossum (yes, I looked her in the comedy categories).
            I forgot to mention some: Evan Peters in “American horror story” (this guy was really good, too bad no one noticed), Chloris Leachman (probably because she’s been recognized her whole career, but she’s the one who cracks me up the most on “Raising Hope”, even if she appears no more than 5 minutes), Merritt Wever and Anna Deavere Smith (to those who don’t know that there two actresses that exists with these names, they’re in “Nurse Jackie”), Laura Dern (another victim of the dramedy disdain); the Globes got this one right, they usually go for the most famous person or the IT actor. Too bad “The middle” didn’t make it as comedy, it’s better than half the nominees. And since they remembered “Community” and gave them a lot of nominations, it would’ve been nice to see Yvette Nicole Brown (even if she hasn’t had as much material as the rest of the cast). Chevy Chase already was mentioned in some awards shows (and yes, I found his Pierce very funny, especially when he makes fun of Britta, my favorite character on the show).
            I didn’t find Sofía Vergara, Betty White or Eric Stonestreet (I’ll see their names at the Emmys, Globes and SAGs, so there’s no problem there), neither “The closer”, “Damages” and “30 Rock” (they will be mentioned by the Emmys, GG or SAGs as well). And since I saw Charlie Hunnam and Katey Seagal I was waiting for Ron Perlman… almost… so close.
            Anyway, Anna Gunn was a nice surprise (she’s one of those few being very funny in comedy and completely serious in drama, even weirder, Bryan Cranston is one of those cases) and Nick Offerman (it’s between him and Burrell for the award, they’re easily the funniest ones in each show).
            Oh, and I didn’t dedicate enough typing to Jessica Lange winning everything (she deserved every award she got for her role in “American horror story”), and poor Julianne, she has a bad time at awards shows, lately even being snubbed, and she’s been amazing in “Game change” (am I the only one asking for a tie?). Anyway, the one that bothers me the most out of all the snubs is Laura Linney (so many emotions because of her on “The big C”). John Benjamin Hickey does a great job there too, a complete scene-stealer.

• seanje says:

Since when is The Killing cancelled? P.S. Definitely would have liked to see it get a few nominations, especially Sexton, I agree.

• Me34 says:

My friend told me “The killing” was not getting renewed, my bad… (I’m in the middle of it, I don’t know if this 2nd season has ended yet or not on USA)… :S

• Alexis says:

Sorry but The Walking Dead is not to the standard of the shows listed here. Esp in terms of acting.

• You apologize, why? What I said was my opinion and what y’all think about my opinion or the show isn’t going to affect how I feel. But I appreciate your concern.

And in MY opinion, it is just as good as any show on that list. So yeah.

• Nick says:

You have poor taste then…

• Manuel says:

I think you are misunderstanding their “sorry”.

It’s not they are sorry to disagree with you, it’s more like a “SORRY to break it for you, but you have terrible taste” kind of thing.

And I agree with them. BBGOTMM made a fantastic statement about why The Waking Dead should be ashamed for the terrible season their creative department had. If you can’t see that you are not being realistic.

• Amber M says:

I love walking dead and would have been nice to see some on here. I think the show is a good as the other shows. Everyone has different taste and that’s fine it doesn’t me they have bad taste for liking something different then you. If you don’t like it stop watching it!!

• e. says:

As good as any other show doesn’t mean better than every other show which is what we are talking about here. The Walking Dead is a well done show, but it has a large number of issues to resolve prior to being considered a Great show. There is good writing, there is horrible writing, there is good acting, there is horrible acting. In general the pacing is atrocious. Until all of these issues are dealt with the show doesn’t belong on the emmy list.

I like the show too, but I like it because I like zombies, and I like survival horror. I know that even though I like the show, it can and should be significantly better (especially considering the source material).

• Lucas says:

Sorry, but The Walking Dead is not as good as any of the shows nominated for this award, especially the ones it was eligible.

• I love how people keep apologizing, lol! I know it’s a figure of speech but I never understood the need to apologize. It’s not as though, as I said before, your opinion will affect mine whatsoever. Either way, it’s good for me knowing that despite it’s lack of nominations (which in my opinion that I’m not sorry for ;) it should have been), that the record basic cable ratings will keep it around for a long time for me to enjoy.

• nathanpesina says:

The highest rated scripted show on TV right now is Two and a Half Men and one of the lowest rated shows of all time was Terriers. Rating definitely don’t determine the quality of a show.

• Josh says:

Really? The Walking Dead, with inconsistent pacing, one dimensional(and when it comes to the women, misogynistic) writing and hit and miss acting didn’t get a nom?

• flibbertojibit says:

You know just because Walking Dead doesn’t seem to care about its women characters at all doesn’t mean they hate them. Misogynistic is a poor word choice. But then a lot of pissed off people like to overreact on the net so maybe that’s why you used it.

• jeff says:

@josh, agreed

• MrMank says:

Yeah, I’m with you. Glad to see Sons of Anarchy, Homeland and Breaking Bad get the props they deserve, but The Walking Dead is such a psychological mindf**k, and I think the actors do such an amazing job, week-to-week. If there ever was a downside to these nominations, this is it.

• Alex Lee says:

I love Walking dead.I think Rick’s wife is a selfish witch and if she was woman enough to srew Rick’s best friend she should have killed his friend her self and not use her husband to do it.Dale will be missed.Why do you give reality shows top billing when you over look Sci-Fi shows all together.I left Cable when they would not take off a channel that cancled a show because of cost.So now I watch what I watch and Neilson ratings be forgotten..Keep it up the public is telling You.Stop the nonesense and put television shows on that challenges a person’s mind and not stupidpity.

• dawn says:

I am also glad to see Sons of Anarchy get it due! I love that show and sometimes I think it gets over looked when it comes to awards. Homeland is awesome as well, but my votes would be with the Sons cast.

• BigDeal says:

There should be Stephen Colbert in Talk Show category! No, you know what? He should actually be in EVERY category. I mean Jesus Christ – the man was even listed in top 100 hottest women. Give him some credit.

• Angela says:

Was going to say, how is he not nominated for something? Or Craig Ferguson? When is that guy going to get some proper recognition from other award shows?
        Eh, well. Hooray for Jon Stewart, though, definitely will root for him. And WOO to “Community” getting some nominations. Here’s hoping they walk away with a few awards.

• Justin121 says:

- Community actors finally getting recognition
      – The Good Wife actors snubbed
      – Damages snubbed
      – Jilian Jacobs, Ty Burrel, Julie Bowen should be “Lead”
      – Loretta Devine (Adele) of Grey’s Anatomy = weird

2. Really disappointed that Anna Torv didn’t make the list this year. But yay for GoT, Sherlock and Community!

• Brandy says:

But John Noble did! Yay! Please Emmy, pay attention.

• AB says:

Not surpised. This season was not her season, she didn’t shine nearly as much as she did last season. I think it’s fair – and I don’t think she’ll get an Emmy nom this year, and I’m ok with that. Last year, she deserved one.

• emteem says:

I think Anna Torv was amazing this season, and doesn’t get the credit she deserves, as she portrayed a minimum of three different Olivia’s and made each distinct. When the “new” Olvia started to become the “original” Olivia again I’m not even sure I could vocalize what she was doing different, but I recognized it immediately.

• I still think that Anna should have been nominated. I agree that she did better last season but she still did really a great job this season too. Especially since I don’t think that Julianna Margulies belongs here this year, I love her and I’m really happy that the critics love her work too but this season she really didn’t have much to do compared to Anna Torv. But again, that’s just my opinion.

3. Alexis says:

If these were the Emmy nominations I would be comatose right now.
    Great selection of nominees from the TV critics!
    Let’s go Damian Lewis/Idris Elba/Christine Baranski and Happy Endings!
    But PLEASE don’t make me choose between Giancarlo Esposito and Arron Paul!

• Ava says:

“If these were the Emmy nominations I would be comatose right now”- Exactly how I feel. I am so glad that Community is being recognized. The only thing that sucks is that they will be competing with my other television love, Parks & Rec. Can’t lose if one of those two starts pulling down awards.

• BB gal says:

Give it to Esposito! It’s his only opportunity,Paul can take it next year. His portrayal was iconic!

• Alexis says:

I’m really starting to think that way too BB gal! It really is his only chance and it would mean another BrBa cast member gets his/her due!

• Tariq Ameer says:

This actually made me hate the Emmy even more for there stupid nomination. All the nominations are perfect, except for TBBT and New Girl, i have to replace them with Happy Endings and Louie. And i think it is really mean to make me choose between Esposito and Paul, its even harder than choosing between your parents

• TheBeach says:

So true. It’s really cruel to have to chose between Esposito and Paul….both were so amazing but I guess Jesse’s NA scene in “Problem Dog” tipped the scales to Paul for me.

• Eli says:

I know I’m gonna regret asking this, but just out of curiosity, what’s a “NA scene”? A North-American scene? A non-available scene? A Naked Ass scene?

• Alexis says:

I keep mistaking this list for the Emmys because, let’s face it, it’s many of our dream Emmy nominations, amirite?
        I LOVE and am obsessive about ALL the performances of Breaking Bad so to see Giancarlo Esposito get some major props for his work this past season make me especially hopeful he’ll pull of the upset of the year and snatch the Best Supporting Emmy from Peter Dinklage this year.

4. Isabelle says:

So happy to see SoA getting some love.

• B says:

It’s about time!

• TheBeach says:

Three big noms for SOA…very deserved and long overdue.

• Monica green says:

YES!! SOA really deserves the recognition!! Never have I been so attached to a story and tv show. amazing writer, amazing cast, amazing story, it’s alll amazing! If you don’t know SAMCRO you’re really missing out. If only….<3

• tash8385 says:

I couldn’t agree more. SOA is the best show ever. I cant believe the need to see it every week is… SAMCRO all the way!

5. HughOS says:

Really cannot understand how the absolute contrived mess that was “The Voice” got a nod over Idol. Is it snobbery? Is Idol just unfashionable to like nowadays, even if it’s wildly superior to it’s competition?

• davey says:

American Idol is good but it has done nothing new for the past few years.

• Jeff Porter says:

Idol is a train wreck that panders to the dregs. It exploits people with absolutely no talent what-so-ever, and the outcome is clearly prearranged by the producer of the show. The drama between the judges, or who the judges will be is more exciting than the auditions. The Voice has talented performers from day one, and the singers that are sent home on the first day of auditions are more talented than the winners of Idol. Idol has outlived it’s usefulness, and has become as pathetic as Jerry Springer.

• HughOS says:

Not so sure about that. I’d bet that every single person in Idol’s top 10 this season would outsing everyone who appeared on The Voice this year. Plus the Voice is just as much about the drama between the judges as Idol is. Give me Idol anyday.

6. João Amaral says:

IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CHOOSE A WINNER TO THE SUPPORTING CATEGORIES IN COMEDY SERIES !!!

• Dryden says:

Seriously, even my fifth or sixth pick in the category is very deserving. Outstanding talent!

• sheikia says:

I have never been happy about every single nominee in a category in any awards show ever before. There’s a first time for everything!

• dan says:

And there are several people missing: from BBT there could’ve been nominations for Mayim Bialik and Simon Helberg, while Modern Family could’ve have nominations for the rest of the cast! In the Guest Actor for Comedy, how about Dot-Marie Jones for Glee (Coach Beiste), and where is Jeff Probst for reality show host (Survivor). The guy has won an Emmy every year that has been a category (three or four years running), but Nick Cannon was nominated? Really?

7. Guest says:

So happy for Sherlock

• AB says:

Totally. I doubt the show will win over that godawful mess, American Horror Story, but I love it got the nomination. Would love it if Benedict Cumberbatch would win too, but not likely, I know. Still nice to see Sherlock get the recognition. Too bad Martin Freeman’s performance is so subtle that he doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for it.
      But I love Sherlock :)

• murley says:

me too! only wish there was a supporting category for miniseries so martin freeman could get a well deserved nod. he is a brilliant watson and his subtle, funny and emotional performance is always pitch perfect.

8. salim says:

kinda pissed ellen pompeo didnt get nommed or at least sandra. happy that jim rasha and casy wilson got nommed. thank god glee wasnt nominated its about time people realised how much of fad it has become.

• R says:

same here! Sandra Oh did AMAZING work this year on Grey’s! that scene where she throws cereal on owen’s face – JAW DROPPING PERFECTION!

9. Dano says:

@Chandra:

The Walking Dead Season 2 was horrible up until maybe the last 2 episodes.. even then it was mediocre.

I think the real crime is no Breaking Bad Acting nominations.

10. Dano says:

Uhhh nevermind that… I didn’t see the Drama category. I am an idiot.

11. maya says:

Yay! So happy for Community.

12. c says:

Give Amy Poehler an award she clearly deserves already

• Ava says:

I’d like to see Parks & Rec sweep the acting categories and Community to take the show categories. Mostly, I’d like to see Nick Offerman rewarded for his portrayal of Ron Swanson.

• noa says:

yes to everything you both said! if it was last year, i would say give the show award to parks as well, but community had so many amazing ground-breaking episodes this year, it should totally get it. if anything goes to BBT instead of parks or community, i’ll be upset.

13. Nicolas Mancuso says:

Great nominees… but my god! How did Laura Dern and ‘Enlightened’ not make it? Talk about a revelatory performance and series!

14. Sarah says:

Why isn’t Castle nominated?

• Nameless says:

Because these are the Critic’s Choice Awards, not the People’s Choice Awards. You can tell by all the sense it makes.

• Ashley says:

I love Castle. It’s great fun and entertainment. It’s definite must watch for me and I think the acting is very good more often than not, but in terms of acting and writing, it’s just not up to par with shows like Justified and The Good Wife and Homeland. Which is what it’s being compared to since it’s technically a 1hr drama.

15. DL says:

Glad to see Southland got at least a couple of nods. Congrats to Regina King and Lucy Liu! Would have loved to have seen Michael Cudlitz in there too, though both he and Shawn Hatosy had even better seasons last year.

16. Emma L. says:

Glad to see Sons of Anarchy get some love!! great group of actors with great perfomances this year! Well deserved. (YAY! for Maggie’s nomination.. glad to see her work being recognized)

17. Rachel says:

COMMUNITY!!!

Finally getting the recognition it deserves!

18. Vinny Chase says:

Will this be televised?

19. Wade says:

What I love: All the Community noms (Jim Rash! Gillian Jacobs!). The Sons of Anarchy love. Lena Dunham and Ashley Rickards (!) for Lead Actress in a Comedy. Emmy Rossum for Lead Actress in a Drama. Girls for Comedy Series. Giancarlo Esposito for Supporting Actor in a Drama. Homeland! Kathryn Hahn! Christina Hendricks! Anna Gunn!

Ugh: All the Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory and New Girl nominations. Ditto Downton Abbey for a lackluster second series.

What I hate: No Parenthood. The snubbing of the Cougar Town cast, especially Busy Philipps (last years winner) from Supporting Actress in a Comedy. No 30 Rock for a strong season. No Boardwalk Empire for series, no Michael Pitt or Steve Buscemi. No The Walking Dead. No Anna Torv (though season 4 gave her no material whatsoever).

All in all acceptable. I wish Busy Philipps had been nominated and I wish Monica Potter had been nominated for her fantastic work this season on Parenthood. I’d also love to see Jared Harris and Michael Pitt nominated. Ah well, you’ll all be winners in my mind.

20. Alon says:

Community is the best show ever!
    So glad to see it gets the respect it deserves from the critics.
    Good Luck to all the nominees!

21. Mike says:

Lena Headley absolutely deserves a nomination as Cersei Lannister.

• allya says:

Hmm. I though she was the weakest of all the actors in Game of Thrones. She’s mostly expressionless and emotionless IMHO lots of times. And if you’ve read the book, the way she plays Cersei is most certainly not how the character is portrayed in the book. But that’s just my opinion.

22. soarin829 says:

Yeah! Nice to see some network love somewhere! Lots of these make me happy, but I’ll specifically point out Brad (Wayans Jr) from HE and Max Greenfield from NG. LOVE both of those noms! And of COURSE John Noble.

23. Taylor says:

Happy Endings should have gotten the Best Series nom over New Girl! I’m thrilled for Damon and Casey, although Eliza, Elisha and Adam all did amazing work this season too.

Oh, and YES for Emmy Rossum getting a nom!

24. gail says:

By not having supporting actor categories for mini-series you neglect nominating Andrew Scott who just won the British BAFTA for his role as Moriarty in Sherlock. Huge oversight.

25. Marc says:

Leave it to the critics to choose the actors and shows that SHOULD be nominated for Emmys, but are often tossed aside because of politics and star favoritism.

26. Danielle says:

I am just thrilled that Ashley Rickards from Awkward got nominated for best actress in a comedy series.

27. lupe says:

And this is how you nominate good shows/actors/actresses

PS:I missed Anna Torv and some Dexter tho

28. davey says:

I think Jason Isaacs should have nominated for Case Histories.

• THawk13 says:

I think Jason Isaacs should have been nominated for Awake.

• tiffany says:

Agreed. Jason Isaacs was fantastic in Awake. Hugh Laurie should have gotten a nod as well. He is always brilliant and this last season of House, especially the last story arc, was really good.

• MrMank says:

I think Jason Isaacs should have been nominated for Brotherhood. Who cares if it was cancelled after the ’08-’09 season? He’s that good! :-)

29. Alexis says:

These nominations are pretty spot on. The lack of nominations for Dexter, House, The Walking Dead and Fringe was at its best last season to be honest.
    I’m very disappointed that these awards are following the same trend as the Emmys and conflating the Lead and Supporting Mini Series/Movies categories. Some seriously great performances will definitely not get its deserved attention now!

30. KMC says:

My favorite nomination on this list is Eden Sher from “The Middle.” That girl does amazing work week after week. It’s great to see her name on the list (and for a younger actress to be recognized).

31. elleg929 says:

How is American Horror Story in the movie/miniseries category?

• Nairdan says:

Because of the 1 season/1 independent story thing, FX decided to submit AHS as a miniseries for the awards season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

HORROR STORY, with its rotating cast and resetting storyline, qualifies as a miniseries and is entering the Emmys that way as well.

32. allya says:

Yay for Max Greenfield, New Girl, John Noble, Cat Deeley!

33. Becks says:

Great choices overall, but it would’ve been nice to see Josh Charles get a nom. He had a stellar season this year.

• Saint Alicia says:

Agreed, and same with Archie Panjabi. I’m happy for Christine Baranski (as well as Julianna Margulies and the show itself) but Archie gives the most magnetic and captivating performance of all of them. Hope she at least gets the Emmy nom she deserves.

34. Billie says:

The best nomination, in my opinion, Carrie Preston for her guest work on The Good Wife. She flat out steals every scene she’s in. When I see her name in the guest starring credits at the beginning of the episode I get massively excited. I really hope she wins.

• I totally agree. Carrie Preston manages to make Elsbeth Tascioni stand out on a show full of stand out characters (both regulars and the other amazing guest stars they have), so it’s great to see her get some recognition for it.

• justin121 says:

Martha Plimpton ( pregnant lawyer) Mamie Gummer (cute blonde lawyer) Anna Camp (super cute blonde laywer) Grace Rex and Anna Camp (Marthas and Caitlins) all deserve recognition.

35. Blaster says:

No nomination for Chris Colfer? Lea Michele? Jane Lynch? Yep, it’s official. The Glee train has officially left the station…

36. Nairdan says:

What a wonderful list! Love it!

37. Cia says:

Lara Pulver? She got naked, but created a very one-dimensional character in Sherlock as Irene Adler. It’s amazing she’s on the same list as fantastic actresses that bring a soul to the characters they play. So, I guess it was the men who voted for her. I really don’t get the fuss over this actress.

• Michael says:

‘So, I guess it was the men who voted for her.’

Wow, how patronizing. I’m pretty sure they may be some women dared to have a different view.

• Aissa says:

Lots of women feel that Lara Pulver was wonderful. If you don’t see the dimensions she brought to her character, others do.

• polly says:

You must be blind because I saw a million dimensions in her character

38. Rush says:

Is the nom for Sherlock for series 1 or 2? I thought that series 1 was superior to series 2, except for the final episode of series 2.

Otherwise, if you look at the list of nominations for best drama, it’s easy to see that we are still in the midst of a creative golden age of television. TV has supplanted cinema as the place to look for intelligent and provocative visual entertainment.

39. Nairdan says:

I know it´s the same old story but I don´t understand how Dylan Baker is nominated for Damages as a guest actor when he was listed along with Close, Byrne and John Goodman on the intro in season 4. I understand Lucy Liu´s nomination because she was credited as “guest starring”, even though they both did the whole 10-episode season.

• Marcus says:

Thank God someone else noticed this. It’s clearly a mistake. Dylan Baker was a huge part of this season and was credited amongst the regular cast.

• justin121 says:

It’s up to the actors which categories they submit themselvs to. Or at least that’s what I think happens with the Emmys.

40. kellen says:

best supporting actor/actress in a comedy might be the toughest categories to determine in any award show, ever!

41. Renee says:

So happy to see Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch on this list.

42. Michelle says:

Oh, picking a winner from the Best Supporting Actors in a Comedy Series is going to be tough. Love Damon Wayans Jr., Max Greenfield, Jim and Danny but I hope it goes to Ty! Or any of them tbh as long as the Emmys goes to Ty :P

43. Gaby says:

really happy for community…but seriously, no Nikita??..it’s the most underrated show right now and maggie q deserves a nomination…

44. Congrats to Charlie Hunnam Katey Segal and Maggie Siff !!! Well deserved!!!!!!

45. user says:

ok, i get it, 30 Rock is not “cool cool cool” anymore (too bad, s. 6 was very strong) but no love for Jane FREAKING Krakowski!?

46. Ruth O says:

Would have thought to have seen Martin Freeman alongside Benedict. He is so wonderful as Watson.

47. Lauren says:

Love some of these!! Emmy Rossum in particular! Plus John Noble. All the Community noms, plus some of the other comedies nominations. The entire Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy is perfection. Nick Offerman, Danny Pudi, Jim Rash, Ty Burrell, Max Greenfield and Damon Wayans Jr, all of them deserve it. Great. Love Carrie Preston being nominated for the Good Wife, she is amazing. And Ashley Rickards for Awkward! Just great. I hope the Emmys take note!
    My only complaint is that I think Lena Headey deserves a nomination as well. She is phenomenal.

48. YowzaPowza says:

Other than Big Bang Theory being nominated for best comedy series, (I’d probably swap that out for Enlightened, Curb or Happy Endings) these are great nominees.

• TheBeach says:

I was happy too see “Girls” getting a nod. What a funny, cleverly written and well-acted new show.

49. Lia says:

I love that Michelle Dockery nom!! hope she wins it

50. b says:

this is what award show nominations should look like. recognizing talent across the board