Ratings: Game of Thrones Finale Hits All-Time High, A&E's Longmire Cops Good Numbers

The ratings for Sunday night’s Season 2 finale of Game of Thrones slaughtered the HBO hit’s first-season closer, drawing a series-high 4.2 million total viewers with its 9 o’clock airing. That marks an improvement of 38 percent over the 3 million who tuned in for Season 1’s finale.

RECAP | Game of Thrones Season 2 Finale: Winter Is Here

Adding in the 910K who caught the encore at 11:10 pm, Thrones‘ Season 2 finale amassed 5.1 million viewers on Sunday night.

RELATED | Starz Cancels Spartacus, Upcoming Third Season Will Be Last

Leading out of that hefty haul, HBO’s freshman comedy Veep enjoyed its second-most watched episode of the season (with 1.2 million total viewers), and Girls then hit a series high of 1.1 mil.

Other Sunday ratings notes, as they become available:

* The premiere of Longmire gave A&E its most-watched original series launch ever, with 4.1 million total viewers. Longmire also stands as cable’s top scripted drama debut of 2012 among total viewers and Adults 25-54.

* The Season 3 premiere of A&E’s The Glades posted double-digit gains versus its Season 2 averages in total viewers (up 19 percent with 3.1 million), Adults 18-49 (up 17 percent) and Adults 24-54 (up 27 percent).

* Part 1 of Teen Wolf‘s Season 2 premiere drew 2.1 million total viewers while scoring a 2.0 rating with MTV’s target 12-34 crowd (just shy of the drama’s year-ago debut), and was the series’ highest-rated outing to date among teens.

1. Michelle says:

Any news whatsoever on Teen Wolf? I keep wondering if it enjoyed a good rating thanks to the Movie Awards lead-in and whether or not it did better than last season? Social media was a buzz about it last night but I know that hardly ever translates to decent numbers.

2. Stay says:

truly disappointed by the final! No cliffhanger, nothing to look ahead in S3!

• Joan says:

You mean, apart from Sam’s fate, the walkers walking towards the Wall, Jon Snow meeting the King Wildling, Joffrey’s wedding, Stannis getting back to the war, Davos’s fate… (just to name a few.)?

Yeah, no cliffhangers

• chris says:

hahaha ur having a laugh right?? all i will say is RW, thats all u need to look forward to in season 3

• Dgsafdmd says:

Uh… Did we watch the same show? Maybe you didn’t watch the last 5 min .. (or have an idea of what’s going to happen in S3 based on the books)

• Bob says:

Did you miss the part about the White Walkers marching south? That was the cliffhanger. Nobody stabbed J.R..

• AJ says:

ROFL. Why do something like that? Book 3, which the next 2 seasons are based off, is probably the most eventful book of them all. This season finale had at least 10 cliffhangers that lead into that book.

1. White Walkers and the battle of the fist
      2. Where does Dany go now?
      3. What happens to Robb after betraying the Frey’s?
      4. What willl happen to Rickon and Bran?
      5. What will happen to Arya and who are the Faceless Men?
      6. What will happen to Theon and who really has him?
      7. Why did they burn Winterfell down?
      8. Who is Mance Rayder and what is he doing with that army?
      9. What will happen to Tyrion?
      10. Is Davos still alive?

And on and on and on

• Are you stupid??? Clearly you didn’t see the white walkers march south, clearly you didn’t see Daenerys Targaryen taking over qarth, clearly you didn’t see joffrey accepting margaery tyrell marrigae proposal, clearly you didn’t see Jon Snow entering wilding camp to meet Mance Rayder King of the Wildlings, clearly you didn’t see jaqen h’ghar change his appearance, among other things that happened. Did you even watch the episodes???

• Deadtroll says:

Dude! are you talking about GOT. Did you see the show!?! The White Walkers are marching on the Nights watch position at the Fist of the FIrst Men. John Snow is going to meet the the King beyond the Wall, non other than Mance Rayder himself. Danny will have enough money to buy a ship and get the hell out of Qarth. Rob Stark has broken his Mairrage pack with the Freys. What did Stannis see in that fire? I could go on and on and on…..

3. TDS-Matt says:

…no cliffhanger? Wha?

4. Spike says:

how did Teen Wolf do?

• Michelle says:

I have a feeling- not too hot. :/
      If the premiere did well, MTV would no doubt have released some type of press info and made a big deal about it. The fact that they haven’t while these other networks have goes to show that the episode didn’t exactly knock it out of the park.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TEEN WOLF numbers are now in, on par with Season 1 premiere (which also led out of Movie Awards), added to story above.

• Michelle says:

Interesting. Thanks Matt. I haven’t a clue whether that’s a successful outing or not. LOL.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

It basically matched the Season 1 apres-Movie Awards premiere, bit did hit a high in the Teens category.

• Michelle says:

I guess the key would be whether or not the Movie Awards matched its audience from a year ago. If TW did about the same out of decreased viewership for the awards, that’s a plus. Of course, all of this is a wash because the true test is seeing how the show does in its usual Monday slot.

5. Rolfe says:

Games of Thrones was amazing last night! Why must season three be so far away? Loved the ending.

Glad to Girls past a million. Great series.

6. AJ says:

I loved it. I understand people may have been a little let down on the action side of things after Blackwater, but it was a very solid episode setting up what is the best book of the series so far. Get ready for mayhem next season.

7. Shelbystar says:

I’m so pleased The Glades had great numbers. I watched Game of Thrones live but was recording The Glades. Jim and Callie’s chemistry is combustible. I love the writing on this show.

8. Lauren says:

I haven’t watched Longmire yet ,not sure if I want to.
    I’m still annoyed at A&E for canceling The Breakout Kings.

9. nabocane says:

Worst thing that ever happened to television was the 13-episode season. Now we’re down to 10 with great shows like this, and on Friday night “Magic City” wrapped up its first season with only 8 episodes. It’s crap. I understand all the reasons for short seasons, but the net effect is less entertainment; with a show like this, less GREAT entertainment.

• Anonymous says:

I disagree, I love the 12-18 episode type seasons. It allows the storyline to move along a lot faster, it leaves little room for filler episodes, and it also means little to no breaks in between the season until its over. I actually rather quality, week-to-week consistency, less fillers, and little to no breaks in the middle of a season than the longer seasons that do have those things. Sure, there are usually really long hiatuses until the next season, but I have other shows to keep me preoccupied until it returns.

• Deadtroll says:

I think that 10 episodes is a bit thin for GOT. I would like for their to be at least 12. The thing that ticks me off the most is the fact that it will take so long before the next season. If they spaced them out into 6 or 9 month incriments then it would be better.

10. Renee says:

I watched Longmire this am and enjoyed it. I like modern westerns. And I think it has the potential to get really good.

11. cj says:

i’d love to see GoT hit 10 million viewers in one night (over two airings). i know being on HBO limits its audience, but i just think that would be a really fantastic achievement, and would be an incredible statement about the quality of the show.

• AJ says:

Maybe if you added the international audience in. Maybe. I think True Blood has only gotten about 5.3 o 5.5 million on it’s most watched episode. Supposedly the international audience for Game of Thrones is bigger than the US subscriber audience.

12. shannon says:

I really liked Longmire, but I would watch my beloved Starbuck in anything.

13. Trista says:

Both the Glades and Longmire were great! Matt Passmore really heats my summer up!!!

14. Velvet says:

I thought Longmire was a pretty decent show. I will watch next week. Good to see LD Phillips after Stargate Universe.