Ratings: Game of Thrones Finale Hits All-Time High, A&E's Longmire Cops Good Numbers

Get More: Finales, News, Premieres, Ratings

The ratings for Sunday night’s Season 2 finale of Game of Thrones slaughtered the HBO hit’s first-season closer, drawing a series-high 4.2 million total viewers with its 9 o’clock airing. That marks an improvement of 38 percent over the 3 million who tuned in for Season 1′s finale.

RECAP | Game of Thrones Season 2 Finale: Winter Is Here

Adding in the 910K who caught the encore at 11:10 pm, Thrones‘ Season 2 finale amassed 5.1 million viewers on Sunday night.

RELATED | Starz Cancels Spartacus, Upcoming Third Season Will Be Last

Leading out of that hefty haul, HBO’s freshman comedy Veep enjoyed its second-most watched episode of the season (with 1.2 million total viewers), and Girls then hit a series high of 1.1 mil.

Other Sunday ratings notes, as they become available:

* The premiere of Longmire gave A&E its most-watched original series launch ever, with 4.1 million total viewers. Longmire also stands as cable’s top scripted drama debut of 2012 among total viewers and Adults 25-54.

* The Season 3 premiere of A&E’s The Glades posted double-digit gains versus its Season 2 averages in total viewers (up 19 percent with 3.1 million), Adults 18-49 (up 17 percent) and Adults 24-54 (up 27 percent).

* Part 1 of Teen Wolf‘s Season 2 premiere drew 2.1 million total viewers while scoring a 2.0 rating with MTV’s target 12-34 crowd (just shy of the drama’s year-ago debut), and was the series’ highest-rated outing to date among teens.

Comments (36)

• Any news whatsoever on Teen Wolf? I keep wondering if it enjoyed a good rating thanks to the Movie Awards lead-in and whether or not it did better than last season? Social media was a buzz about it last night but I know that hardly ever translates to decent numbers.

Comment by Michelle – June 4, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks like it pulled the same numbers, which is kinda surprising because I thought the show came back much improved over S1!

Comment by cinephilactic – June 4, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • truly disappointed by the final! No cliffhanger, nothing to look ahead in S3!

Comment by Stay – June 4, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean, apart from Sam’s fate, the walkers walking towards the Wall, Jon Snow meeting the King Wildling, Joffrey’s wedding, Stannis getting back to the war, Davos’s fate… (just to name a few.)?

Yeah, no cliffhangers

Comment by Joan – June 4, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha ur having a laugh right?? all i will say is RW, thats all u need to look forward to in season 3

Comment by chris – June 4, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh… Did we watch the same show? Maybe you didn’t watch the last 5 min .. (or have an idea of what’s going to happen in S3 based on the books)

Comment by Dgsafdmd – June 4, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you miss the part about the White Walkers marching south? That was the cliffhanger. Nobody stabbed J.R..

Comment by Bob – June 4, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If people don’t get the meaning of “Winter is Coming” after that then all hope is lost for them lol.

Comment by AJ – June 4, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ROFL. Why do something like that? Book 3, which the next 2 seasons are based off, is probably the most eventful book of them all. This season finale had at least 10 cliffhangers that lead into that book.

1. White Walkers and the battle of the fist
      2. Where does Dany go now?
      3. What happens to Robb after betraying the Frey’s?
      4. What willl happen to Rickon and Bran?
      5. What will happen to Arya and who are the Faceless Men?
      6. What will happen to Theon and who really has him?
      7. Why did they burn Winterfell down?
      8. Who is Mance Rayder and what is he doing with that army?
      9. What will happen to Tyrion?
      10. Is Davos still alive?

And on and on and on

Comment by AJ – June 4, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you stupid??? Clearly you didn’t see the white walkers march south, clearly you didn’t see Daenerys Targaryen taking over qarth, clearly you didn’t see joffrey accepting margaery tyrell marrigae proposal, clearly you didn’t see Jon Snow entering wilding camp to meet Mance Rayder King of the Wildlings, clearly you didn’t see jaqen h’ghar change his appearance, among other things that happened. Did you even watch the episodes???

Comment by Hussain Hazimi (@Hazimi27) – June 4, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Woah, no name calling is necessary. You’re being quite rude to this poor person.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 4, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude! are you talking about GOT. Did you see the show!?! The White Walkers are marching on the Nights watch position at the Fist of the FIrst Men. John Snow is going to meet the the King beyond the Wall, non other than Mance Rayder himself. Danny will have enough money to buy a ship and get the hell out of Qarth. Rob Stark has broken his Mairrage pack with the Freys. What did Stannis see in that fire? I could go on and on and on…..

Comment by Deadtroll – June 5, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …no cliffhanger? Wha?

Comment by TDS-Matt – June 4, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how did Teen Wolf do?

Comment by Spike – June 4, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling- not too hot. :/
      If the premiere did well, MTV would no doubt have released some type of press info and made a big deal about it. The fact that they haven’t while these other networks have goes to show that the episode didn’t exactly knock it out of the park.

Comment by Michelle – June 4, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TEEN WOLF numbers are now in, on par with Season 1 premiere (which also led out of Movie Awards), added to story above.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 4, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Interesting. Thanks Matt. I haven’t a clue whether that’s a successful outing or not. LOL.

Comment by Michelle – June 4, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It basically matched the Season 1 apres-Movie Awards premiere, bit did hit a high in the Teens category.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 4, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I guess the key would be whether or not the Movie Awards matched its audience from a year ago. If TW did about the same out of decreased viewership for the awards, that’s a plus. Of course, all of this is a wash because the true test is seeing how the show does in its usual Monday slot.

Comment by Michelle – June 4, 2012 03:27 PM PDT
  • Games of Thrones was amazing last night! Why must season three be so far away? Loved the ending.

Glad to Girls past a million. Great series.

Comment by Rolfe – June 4, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. I understand people may have been a little let down on the action side of things after Blackwater, but it was a very solid episode setting up what is the best book of the series so far. Get ready for mayhem next season.

Comment by AJ – June 4, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so pleased The Glades had great numbers. I watched Game of Thrones live but was recording The Glades. Jim and Callie’s chemistry is combustible. I love the writing on this show.

Comment by Shelbystar – June 4, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched Longmire yet ,not sure if I want to.
    I’m still annoyed at A&E for canceling The Breakout Kings.

Comment by Lauren – June 4, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should it has potential. I am hoping it take a cue from justified and in the middle of season jump heavily into it’s mythology.

Comment by George – June 4, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Longmire was pretty good. Looks to get even better.

Comment by tp – June 4, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst thing that ever happened to television was the 13-episode season. Now we’re down to 10 with great shows like this, and on Friday night “Magic City” wrapped up its first season with only 8 episodes. It’s crap. I understand all the reasons for short seasons, but the net effect is less entertainment; with a show like this, less GREAT entertainment.

Comment by nabocane – June 4, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree, I love the 12-18 episode type seasons. It allows the storyline to move along a lot faster, it leaves little room for filler episodes, and it also means little to no breaks in between the season until its over. I actually rather quality, week-to-week consistency, less fillers, and little to no breaks in the middle of a season than the longer seasons that do have those things. Sure, there are usually really long hiatuses until the next season, but I have other shows to keep me preoccupied until it returns.

Comment by Anonymous – June 4, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that 10 episodes is a bit thin for GOT. I would like for their to be at least 12. The thing that ticks me off the most is the fact that it will take so long before the next season. If they spaced them out into 6 or 9 month incriments then it would be better.

Comment by Deadtroll – June 5, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Longmire this am and enjoyed it. I like modern westerns. And I think it has the potential to get really good.

Comment by Renee – June 4, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’d love to see GoT hit 10 million viewers in one night (over two airings). i know being on HBO limits its audience, but i just think that would be a really fantastic achievement, and would be an incredible statement about the quality of the show.

Comment by cj – June 4, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe if you added the international audience in. Maybe. I think True Blood has only gotten about 5.3 o 5.5 million on it’s most watched episode. Supposedly the international audience for Game of Thrones is bigger than the US subscriber audience.

Comment by AJ – June 5, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Longmire, but I would watch my beloved Starbuck in anything.

Comment by shannon – June 5, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both the Glades and Longmire were great! Matt Passmore really heats my summer up!!!

Comment by Trista – June 5, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Longmire was a pretty decent show. I will watch next week. Good to see LD Phillips after Stargate Universe.

Comment by Velvet – June 7, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post