Scoop: Jerry O'Connell Cast as Herman Munster in NBC's Mockingbird Lane

Get More: Casting News

Jerry O'Connell Mockingbird LaneMockingbird Lane has found its new Herman Munster.

Jerry O’Connell (Crossing Jordan) has landed the role of the the Munster family patriarch in the NBC reboot, TVLine has learned.

The role was originated by Fred Gwynne in classic ’60s version.

The project, which was originally slated to go into production in the spring but got pushed back until early summer due to casting issues, is being stewarded by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and X-Men auteur Bryan Singer. Whereas the original was a comedy, the remake is being billed by NBC as a “visually spectacular one hour drama.”

O’Connell, who most recently starred opposite James Belushi in the CBS procedural The Defenders, joins previously cast Eddie Izzard (as Grandpa) and Mason Cook (as Eddie).

Comments (66)

• Fingers crossed for Kristen Bell.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 4, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, that’s not happening, Tiger, since she’s a regular on Showtime’s House of Lies which got a second season.

Comment by MacTosh – June 4, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • there is a slight chance that it could happen since cable shows have a different filming schedule than network shows. House of Lies season 2 goes into production in October & will air in February, so if this show starts filming in early summer like the article says, it might work, possibly with “Mockingbird Lane” being a mid-season replacement. But I’m not holding my breath.

Comment by ZmaX – June 5, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, it’ll be okay. He looks it and is funny, so okay.

Comment by anthonynewhall – June 4, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the show is dead before it started.

Comment by cfolliot – June 4, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Not a fan.

Comment by Brock – June 4, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And why would that be? Fullers work on Star Trek is classic, and Pushing Daisies was astonishing television. Let’s add that the take is somewhat similar to the Monster High concept – the most popular pre-teen and tweener doll series in ages. With the demo being prepped with Twilight and now Monster High, there is a built in buying audience there.

Comment by tarc – June 4, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jerry O’connell dummy, I actually like the Munsters and hoped it had a shot, but no way is it going to be successful now.

Comment by cfolliot – June 5, 2012 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Though I wouldn’t have thought of him, he’s kinda perfect. After all, it’s not going to be Fred Gwynn (admittedly adorably) mugging, but both more realistic and more fantastical.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Should have been Brad Garrett.

Comment by Templar – June 5, 2012 07:21 AM PDT
          • No, it shouldn’t have. The role requires acting and comedy, something Garrett can’t seem to manage.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 07:52 AM PDT
    • Yep. Hiring just because of height.

Comment by Keenan – June 5, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems like perfect casting, actually. Good job

Comment by Lev – June 4, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Tall and funny, it might work.

Comment by tvfan – June 4, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh!!!!!

Comment by Trent – June 4, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope this one sticks, I love Jerry O’Connell. He has not had good luck, he’s like one failure from officially being a show killer.

Comment by Emily – June 4, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this guy! He’s got so much charisma and is genuinely funny. I’m looking forward to this remake. I hope they make it work out well.

Comment by Anonymous – June 4, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well doesnt look like ill be adding Munster to my dvr next season

Comment by ggny – June 4, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No offense to Jerry, but anyone who is not Brad Garrett is a wasted casting opportunity.

Comment by Nichole – June 4, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re casting the part of Herman Munster, not Fred Gwynne. If they were making a movie about the making of the original Munsters, then, sure, Garrett would be a clear choice to play Gwynne, but that isn’t the case here. If Garrett played the part then it would be done just to appeal to fans of the original who want a carbon copy of Gwynne’s performance.

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 4, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh. I can’t stand that guy. It’s a total mystery how he gets hired.

Comment by tarc – June 4, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s mean quality to the actor that I think comes out in his roles. And with Herman, you can’t have any of that. Jerry is an excellent choice for the role.

Comment by Tim – June 5, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • too obvious and uninspired.

Comment by murley – June 5, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God I love Jerry. I am so in.

Comment by Amanda – June 4, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With or without Jerry O’Connell I can’t see this show not bombing completely.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – June 4, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Triple facepalm.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – June 4, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That. And no words.

Comment by godzilla's_foil – June 4, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the a straight to series order or just a pilot?

Comment by Daniel – June 4, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *this

Comment by Daniel – June 4, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Series. The concept art looks amazing.

Comment by tarc – June 4, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • where did you see concept art?

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 5, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s a good question… hmmm. bryan-fullerdotcom has a small pic of the new Mansion. I don’t recall… but you might be able to Google it or refer to the EW article. They’ve shown Lilly and Grandpas concept art… somewhere. But that link has a lot of little blurbs about the changes they’re making.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I found it after I made that post. Grandpa looks bland. Lily looks interesting.

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 5, 2012 08:49 AM PDT
  • omg…brad garrett is a no brainer….but i do love jerry o’connell. pure nostalgia, hope it’s good!

Comment by checkermate – June 4, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we just need Kristin Chenowith as Lily.

Comment by Morgen Pittman – June 4, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just saw him in Seminar on Broadway and he was actually really funny. So I think he’ll be good. :)

Comment by DL – June 4, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • but this isn’t a comedy. “Whereas the original was a comedy, the remake is being billed by NBC as a “visually spectacular one hour drama.””

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 4, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Comic actors are often far more adept at drama than dramatic actors are at doing comedy. Plus, while Sliders had its goofy moments, it was primarily a drama, wasn’t it?

Comment by elf – June 4, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This will be a drama the way Desperate Housewives was a drama. There will be a good dose of humor, as well.

Comment by TV Gord – June 4, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dead on arrival. Show has no chance…at least not in my house. The original is classic perfection. NO need for this

Comment by Ralph – June 4, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A drama???? Your are kidding right?

Comment by angelcat2865 – June 4, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, think of Fuller’s other shows, like Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me and Wonder Falls. Those were both dramas in the broader sense of the term, but there was obviously a huge amount of comedy there. In someone else’s hands, I’d be worried, but he can make it work.

Comment by wordsmith – June 4, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And sadly, they all didn’t fare well…all great shows, but drew such small audiences they were cancelled in the matter of a couple of seasons. I can see where Fuller’s going with this reboot, but unfortunately for him and the show, most people will be expecting a true to the original remake and not “get” this version.

As a side note, I guess this means we can count Jerry out for the “Live With Kelly” co-host seat.

Comment by Tess – June 4, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Um, the original only lasted two seasons, and is considered a classic… like his work on Star Trek and Pushing Daisies. Twilight, Monster High, and all the other teen supernatural romance trend has prepped the demo for this type of show. We’re getting a Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde show and a Beauty & The Beast redo. Those genres are hot.

Comment by tarc – June 4, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I had the same thought, I enjoy him as Kelly’s cohost – he’s not afraid to tell stories about his life.

I’ll give this show a shot – I never thought Grimm or OUAT would work either.

Comment by Kel – June 5, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So… I guess this means no reboot of Sliders this year?

Comment by MacPhisto – June 4, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a better supernatural-based show would be a real-life drama about the deal Jerry O’Connell made with the devil to keep getting TV shows.

Comment by Chrispy – June 4, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess he’s taking himself out of the running for the co-hosting gig with Kelly (although he’s on with her next Monday and Tuesday).

It took me a few minutes to process this, but I can see it. He’s got a little zaniness in him that I can see being useful in this role. He’s a good choice.

Comment by TV Gord – June 4, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what this means for Lily Munster. I was hoping for Lucy Lawless, but if they’re casting “against type”, then she’s probably not right for the role.

And Fuller’s previous comments about Lily Munster being “at one with nature” would almost suggest an actor more suited to play Snow White. Still, Lucy Lawless turned down the lead in Crossing Jordan and Bryan Singer cast her in his failed Football Wives series, so the stars may align and she’ll end up working with Jerry after all.

Comment by AJ – June 4, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I like Bryan Fuller’s work, how many mid season shows are the guy working on for NBC? Munster & Hannibal together is a bit ambitious isn’t it? I just hope it will all work out.

Comment by Izzy – June 4, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really can’t see this working at all. I’ve nothing against O’Connell at all, but telling me he’s playing Herman Munster makes me laugh.
    I just don’t see it at all.
    Maybe Chenowith will get cast, purely as she’s so small she’ll make Jerry look gigantic?!

Comment by Brian Gilmour (@TheFifthDoctor) – June 5, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not The Munsters, so it’s impossible to say whether it will work or not since we haven’t seen the changes. Fuller’s site says Herman will be in a “constant state of decay”, and one plotline will involve needing a new heart… from a living donor.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep in mind : this is just for a pilot only. NBC has already announced their fall line-up, and the Munsters reboot is not on it.

Comment by Couch Potato Cop – June 5, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a straight to series for midseason.

Comment by tarc – June 5, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting. Jerry, from everything I have seen of him, projects the same nice guy quality that the character Herman always did.

This shows a lot of potential for the pilot being picked up.

Comment by Tim – June 5, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is NOT a pilot. It has a straight-to-series order.

Comment by JTV – June 5, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch it for Eddie Izzard, and hope to be persuaded by the rest.

Comment by Templar – June 5, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not criticizing Jerry. It may work. But my pick for that role would’ve been Titus Welliver.

Comment by kirads09 – June 5, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With luck it will last one season, but JO has never done anything worth watching, not funny in my book,

Comment by tahina – June 5, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you like Jerry McGuire?

Comment by Steph – June 12, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, it has come to this, Jerry.

Comment by Geegeedub – June 5, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am really looking forward to this. i love bryan fuller and i really like what i have heard so far about the concepts for the reimagining. while some reboots are a ridiculous waste not all are and this shouldn’t be dismissed outright just because it is taken from an old concept. look at battlestar galactica or bbc’s sherlock. or even the office u.s. all came from other shows/concepts and became something great in their own right. saying something will suck and you won’t watch it just because it’s a reboot really just makes you sound like an obnoxious, pretentious fanboy.

Comment by murley – June 5, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still say Ed Helms would make a perfect Herman Munster. He looks and acts just like Fred Gwynne.

Comment by Kevin – June 5, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This remake will BOMB!!!!! You cannot improve on the original…….plus horrible casting!!!

Comment by Audra Guches – July 23, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post