Scoop: NBC's Hannibal Casts Danish Actor Mads Mikkelsen in Title Role

Get More: Casting News

Mads Mikkelsen HannibalWarning to census takers with attitude problems: NBC has cast its Hannibal Lecter.

Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen (Casino Royale) has landed the title role in Hannibal, the Peacock’s contemporary series take on the characters from Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon novel.

The project, written and exec-produced by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and slated to debut at midseason, centers on the budding relationship between FBI agent Will Graham (played by Hugh Dancy) and his mentor Dr. Hannibal Lecter – who are re-introduced at the beginning of their budding relationship.

Mikkelsen just picked up the Best Actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival for  his role in Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt. He was recently cast as the lead villain in Marvel’s upcoming Thor sequel.

Comments (35)

• I like Mads a lot but he’s being typecast as the crazy villain lately. Scandinavian actors deserve better.

Comment by Sylvie – June 4, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hannibal Lecter is more than just a crazy villain. In fact, he’s not really “crazy” per se; he’s coolly, completely logical. And if you can ignore his darker… predilections, even the “villain” part is debatable. Lecter is a character I kinda root for even though I know I shouldn’t.

Comment by DL – June 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uh, dude eats people. He’s a villain.

Comment by Jason – June 4, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Can’t argue with that *lol*

Comment by Lotty – June 4, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t see why this is bad for him. This is a great get for him. He’s a very talented actor, and now I will definitely tune in. Dancy/Mads…great choices.

Comment by Noel – June 4, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree both dancy & mikkelsen are amaizing actors. THEY FALL INTO THEIR characters and do a hell of a job in whatever they do….

Comment by roxie – June 22, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why do scandinavian actors in particular deserve better? – he can choose the artistic hungry way and satisfy you – or the money way and satisfy himself – well done mikkelsen -

Comment by kenn clarke – June 4, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh….The Skarsgaards,Noomi Rapace,Fassbender…..there are likely many more that are considered good guys.

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do not understand why you believe Scandinavian actors deserve better than any other actor. Face it: Mads is ultra-creepy, and well cast in a smart role like this.

Comment by Van – June 21, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannibal is slated for midseason, right?

Comment by Michelle – June 4, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was unexpected. Really unexpected. But I love it! Mads is a great actor and I’m sure he’ll put his own unique spin to the character and possibly make him terrifying again. I support this show wholeheartedly with Fuller, Dancy and Mikkelsen aboard.

Comment by Sam – June 4, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Danish powaaaaaaa

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – June 4, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Following, Hannibal, and Cult I am sensing a theme here. And they are all showing up midseason lets see how well that works out.

Comment by Mick – June 4, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t really sure when they announced this, but now I’m definitely interested.

Comment by AJ – June 4, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WORD. Only seen him in Casino Royale, but that was enough, I’m hooked. Can’t wait for this!

Comment by Saint Alicia – June 4, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Dancy was enough to convince me to take a look, this is a big plus ;)

Comment by Lilys87 – June 4, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We looooooooooove Mads Mikkelsen <3 For sure one of the most sexy men ever!!!

Comment by Lotty – June 4, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • excuse me, what ?

Comment by hugoines – June 4, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is that confusing?

Comment by tripoli – June 4, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with u 150%

Comment by roxie – June 22, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic actor.

Comment by Pamela – June 4, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really great Mads Mikkelsen landed yet another international role.
    He’s a fantastic actor – well deserved!

Comment by Kenneth Rimm – June 4, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yes! That’s great – sure he may be typecast, but this is a career redefining moment (not like he needs one, but maybe for American audiences)

Comment by bitchstolemyremote – June 4, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect casting NBC. Now if you could possibly try and not ruin this show by giving it shoddy marketing and putting it on a crappy night…and also give the show a good full season chance before you even THINK about prematurely pulling the plug, I would really really appreciate it.

Comment by Natalie – June 4, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. It can be hard to get excited over an NBC show with their track record of canceling good shows. Hope it can make it.

Comment by HH – June 4, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha,Fox probably has them beat in cancelling good shows.

Comment by Shaun – June 5, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah Fox cancelled way more good shows. lol

Comment by Kenan – June 9, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good on Mads to be featured in a major network American television program.
    I think Sir Mads can give Sir Anthony a run for his money playing Lecter.

Comment by Effie Trinket – June 4, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really know the actor but he’s done some quality stuff. I hope this show lives up to the hype. It could be what NBC needs to get back on the map. Or it’s going to suck completely. No middle ground. He reminds me a bit of a young Viggo Mortensen which is interesting because Viggo has Danish roots too. Maybe I need to go hang out in Denmark. Lots of good looking men!

Comment by Maddie – June 4, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mads is one of the few actors who makes me happy just to see him in a movie. “Adam’s Apples”. To have him on American television is great news. Am sure he will be excellent in that role.

Comment by Janet L Pelly – June 5, 2012 03:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Le Chiffre!

Comment by Mikael – June 5, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mads and Dancy together again I loved them both in king arthur

Comment by rose – August 14, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mads is the best choice for this or any other role! He is fantastic!

Comment by Pam – September 26, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mads Mikkelsen is the Peter Lorre of the Facebook age.

(Not that any of the luftmenschen who read this will recognise the name Peter Lorre.)

Comment by Daniel Bloom – August 5, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post