Scoop: NBC's Hannibal Casts Danish Actor Mads Mikkelsen in Title Role

Mads Mikkelsen HannibalWarning to census takers with attitude problems: NBC has cast its Hannibal Lecter.

Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen (Casino Royale) has landed the title role in Hannibal, the Peacock’s contemporary series take on the characters from Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon novel.

The project, written and exec-produced by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and slated to debut at midseason, centers on the budding relationship between FBI agent Will Graham (played by Hugh Dancy) and his mentor Dr. Hannibal Lecter – who are re-introduced at the beginning of their budding relationship.

Mikkelsen just picked up the Best Actor prize at the Cannes Film Festival for  his role in Thomas Vinterberg’s The Hunt. He was recently cast as the lead villain in Marvel’s upcoming Thor sequel.

1. Sylvie says:

I like Mads a lot but he’s being typecast as the crazy villain lately. Scandinavian actors deserve better.

• DL says:

Hannibal Lecter is more than just a crazy villain. In fact, he’s not really “crazy” per se; he’s coolly, completely logical. And if you can ignore his darker… predilections, even the “villain” part is debatable. Lecter is a character I kinda root for even though I know I shouldn’t.

• Noel says:

Don’t see why this is bad for him. This is a great get for him. He’s a very talented actor, and now I will definitely tune in. Dancy/Mads…great choices.

• roxie says:

I agree both dancy & mikkelsen are amaizing actors. THEY FALL INTO THEIR characters and do a hell of a job in whatever they do….

• kenn clarke says:

why do scandinavian actors in particular deserve better? – he can choose the artistic hungry way and satisfy you – or the money way and satisfy himself – well done mikkelsen -

• Shaun says:

Uh….The Skarsgaards,Noomi Rapace,Fassbender…..there are likely many more that are considered good guys.

• Van says:

I do not understand why you believe Scandinavian actors deserve better than any other actor. Face it: Mads is ultra-creepy, and well cast in a smart role like this.

2. Michelle says:

Hannibal is slated for midseason, right?

3. Sam says:

That was unexpected. Really unexpected. But I love it! Mads is a great actor and I’m sure he’ll put his own unique spin to the character and possibly make him terrifying again. I support this show wholeheartedly with Fuller, Dancy and Mikkelsen aboard.

4. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Danish powaaaaaaa

5. Mick says:

The Following, Hannibal, and Cult I am sensing a theme here. And they are all showing up midseason lets see how well that works out.

6. AJ says:

Wasn’t really sure when they announced this, but now I’m definitely interested.

• Saint Alicia says:

WORD. Only seen him in Casino Royale, but that was enough, I’m hooked. Can’t wait for this!

7. Lilys87 says:

Hugh Dancy was enough to convince me to take a look, this is a big plus ;)

8. Lotty says:

We looooooooooove Mads Mikkelsen <3 For sure one of the most sexy men ever!!!

9. Pamela says:

Fantastic actor.

10. Kenneth Rimm says:

Really great Mads Mikkelsen landed yet another international role.
    He’s a fantastic actor – well deserved!

11. Oh yes! That’s great – sure he may be typecast, but this is a career redefining moment (not like he needs one, but maybe for American audiences)

12. Natalie says:

Perfect casting NBC. Now if you could possibly try and not ruin this show by giving it shoddy marketing and putting it on a crappy night…and also give the show a good full season chance before you even THINK about prematurely pulling the plug, I would really really appreciate it.

13. Effie Trinket says:

Good on Mads to be featured in a major network American television program.
    I think Sir Mads can give Sir Anthony a run for his money playing Lecter.

14. Maddie says:

I don’t really know the actor but he’s done some quality stuff. I hope this show lives up to the hype. It could be what NBC needs to get back on the map. Or it’s going to suck completely. No middle ground. He reminds me a bit of a young Viggo Mortensen which is interesting because Viggo has Danish roots too. Maybe I need to go hang out in Denmark. Lots of good looking men!

15. Mads is one of the few actors who makes me happy just to see him in a movie. “Adam’s Apples”. To have him on American television is great news. Am sure he will be excellent in that role.

16. Mikael says:

Le Chiffre!

17. rose says:

Mads and Dancy together again I loved them both in king arthur

18. Pam says:

Mads is the best choice for this or any other role! He is fantastic!

19. Daniel Bloom says:

Mads Mikkelsen is the Peter Lorre of the Facebook age.

(Not that any of the luftmenschen who read this will recognise the name Peter Lorre.)