Gilmore Girls Creator on Alexis Bledel's Risqué Mad Men Stint: 'They Were Good Boobs!'

Get More: Controversy, Exclusive, News

Alexis Bledel Mad MenCount Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino among those taken aback by Alexis Bledel‘s sexually-charged turn as an adulterous suburban housewife on this season’s Mad Men. Particularly eyebrow-raising was the fantasy sequence in which Bledel’s character surprised Vincent Kartheiser’s Pete at work wearing nothing but a fur coat and a string of pearls.

The takeaway: Rory Gilmore grew up when we weren’t looking!

“I bet a lot of [Gilmore fans] were traumatized,” cracks Palladino of now-30-year-old Bledel’s mini-striptease. “You have to admit – they were good boobs. And they were real. And very nicely shaped. If I had t–s like that I would walk around with no shirt on, I’m going to be very honest. So I would say to Alexis, ‘Never put your shirt on again.’”

RELATED | Mad Men Kills Off [Spoiler]

All joking aside, Palladino — whose new ABC Family dramedy Bunheads bows June 11 — applauds Bledel for taking a creative risk. “I think she’s gone into brave territory for herself, because that’s not a zone that Alexis is comfortable with,” she admits. “She just put herself right out there, and God love her.”

Comments (44)

• TAKEN ABACK??? Au contraire, that scene had me scooching up closer to the screen! ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – June 4, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And yet, all I can think is “Lorelei Gilmore! What do you think you’re doing!”. Probably the reason she took the risk in the first place.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – June 4, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not Lorelai, Rory. And while it was risque, it was actually a ‘meh’ moment for me.

Comment by Fyrkat – June 4, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rory’s name is really Lorelei Gilmore. Nickname is Rory.

Comment by Jorge. – June 4, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her full name was also Lorelai, as refrenced many a time on the show.

Comment by dee – June 4, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lorelei is her real name. Rory is short for Lorelei. Her name is Lorelei Elizabeth, her mother is Lorelei Leigh.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – June 5, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actully, Rory is Lorelei Leigh. Her mom is Lorelei Victoria.

Comment by Cait – June 5, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oops, I totally thought it was Elizabeth, not Victoria. Eh, one English Queen or the other. :-)

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – June 5, 2012 12:32 PM PDT
  • I have no problem with the fact that Rory has boobs… they really were good boobs.

Comment by andrea – June 4, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing Matt Czuchry wasn’t watching The Good Wife THAT week!

Comment by TV Gord – June 4, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOOOOOOL
        thanks for making me laugh :D.

Comment by t.t – June 4, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alexis Bledel your one of the few ladys in hollywood that still has “IT”, very nice to meet your boobies…

Comment by daverrr – June 11, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay? Are there any other showrunners that would comment on their former employees current work? And yes, I know I clicked on it and took the time to comment

Comment by Annie – June 4, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “If I had t–s like that I would walk around with no shirt on, I’m going to be very honest.” HAHA!! I don’t watch Mad Men so I didn’t see this episode, but I was a big GG fan. This comment from Amy Sherman-Palladino just made me have to stifle a laugh in my cube at work.

Comment by maryploppins – June 4, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So proud of her! I love her… Which is why she would make a great Anastacia Steele, lol! Yep, I just went there.

Comment by Ileana M – June 4, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh. I’d lose all respect for her as an actress if she did Miss Steele. Just let Kristen Stewart do it, she’s done Bella for four films already. She can handle doing the exact same spineless, embarrassing female role one more time.

Comment by Danielle – June 4, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • this so much this.

Comment by taradawes – June 4, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. And Agreed. I shudder whenever I hear any actress I like suggested for that part. Certainly not Ms. Gilmore!

Comment by Olivia – June 4, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can actually really see her and Ian Somerhalder working together. And, yes he has already gotten the part in my mind.

Comment by lara – June 4, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mmm, Rory’s boobs. It was a great moment I wish would have continued just a bit longer, bow chica wow wow!

Comment by Kasper – June 4, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I admit I *was* slightly traumatized but also a little jealous because if I had t’s like that I would walk around naked…yes I sure would!

Comment by Natalie – June 4, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes to traumatized….all I could think was that i was staring at my sister

Comment by Di – June 4, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? Lauren Graham is practically teaching a masters class in acting with her brilliant performances on Parenthood and people choose to ask ASP about Alexis Bledel’s breasts instead? Sick, sad world.

Comment by Lily – June 4, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how on earth do you find lauren graham’s acting on parenthood to be brillant?? she literally has the same face on EVERY episode…

Comment by monica – June 4, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ugh agree. She’s nearly unwatchable.

Comment by Anne – June 4, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anne and Monica. I really have to jump in to say that your lack of taste is jumping off the page at me. YES. Lauren is definitely wonderful in Parenthood. How ridiculous to even read these comments. She is an extremely talented actress and I have to say your comments are way out of line. I undersand people have different opinions, but there is no way she is “unwatchable” and I have to laugh at the same face comment. Whose face should she have? *rolling my eyes* You might have meant something else, but you were not eloquent enough to communicate that.

Comment by Caryn – June 5, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we now why Dean, Jess AND and Logan couldn’t get enough of her!

Comment by Nikolas – June 4, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Alexis would be Ana Steele, Xtian Grey MUST be *Henry Cavill* & no once else.

Comment by lenzl – June 4, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably its only now that Alexis Bledel finally believes in the cliche that …”if you have it ; just flaunt it “- and she flaunt it really welll as deserved.

Comment by runey – June 4, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alexis also got a great azz / bum!!!

Comment by orville – June 4, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right? even on Gilmore Girls, every time she wore a pair of jeans I felt slightly ashamed of my own behind…

Comment by lisa – June 4, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Sherman-Palladino would always have a soft spot for Alexis Bledel as she’s the one who discovered her &/or gave her a break-out role on TV via the unforgetable Gilmore Girls.

Comment by joone – June 4, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what would her mom, Lorelai, Grandma Emily or even her Great Grand Ma Lorelai d’ 1st would say… LOL

Comment by krisix – June 5, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Alexis is supposed to be Bella Swan too from Twiilight … as much as others would say that she can be Anastacia Steele from 50 Shades Of Grey.

Comment by perrinne – June 5, 2012 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im surprised that storyline never really went anywhere, was hoping campbell would get a good whooping

Comment by jake – June 5, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just another sad commentary on today’s actresses willing to do “whatever it takes” to “get ahead.”

Comment by Cheryl Strauss – June 5, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh come off it. What is it about everybody going on about actresses doing “whatever it takes to get ahead.” Who cares. In media, sometimes a scene calls for some risque material in order to portray what the writers have in mind. If nobody did, the depiction of like scenes would be lacking.

Comment by Andy O. – March 19, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NAAAH! I don’t want her to that 50 Shades just in case it gets materialized for her. But she keeps on winning on most if not all on fan & media surveys… sigh!

Comment by muire – June 5, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Methinks that Parenthood is not as great & successful as Gilmore Girls…

Comment by jolenz – June 6, 2012 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Methinks you’re not so smart – Parenthood is a fabulous show and full of heart. It’s picked up for season 4, so there’s no question of its success. People seemed to hate the last two seasons of GG anyhow. There is no reason in the world to make it a competition between the two shows, unless one lacks maturity. I love them both deeply for different reasons.

Comment by Jenna – June 6, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rory Gilmore aka Alexis Bledel grew up to be a beautiful, desirable & HOT specimen.

Comment by lourds – June 6, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt that Alexis is &/or can be hot & sexy as hell BUT ^slutty^ roles or images doesnt suit her.

Comment by junix – June 6, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am all for Alexis trying out different roles and I am pretty certain that she is still the Rory Gilmore at heart in true life. I wonder why they the Executive producers of Gilmore Girls didn’t push through with the GG movie (s). I have been waiting for 4 years for it to happen

Comment by boohoo – July 19, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am praying she is cast as Ana in 50 Shades of I can’t wait for that movie.

Comment by Laurie Dillon – July 21, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post