Spoiler Alert!: True Blood Stars Spill Their Guts on Season 5! Plus: Private Practice Time Jump?

True Blood Season 5 Finale SpoilersIn this week’s edition of Spoiler Alert!, Matt Mitovich and I predict how Private Practice will do away with axed actor Tim Daly and reflect on the fallout from Mad Men‘s decision to make Joan a prostitute. But what will really have you clicking “play” quicker than a True Blood vampire in fast-forward mode is…

Megan Masters’ red-carpet interviews with the cast and creator Alan Ball at the HBO hit’s premiere! Among the spoilers to which I should alert you before you watch, she finds out:

* that this is the season of “church and state”
* that we’ll learn Eric and Pam’s backstory
* the nature of Eric’s relationship with his sister
* how holier-than-thou Steve takes to life as a fanger
* how Russell is different this time around
* and, last but not least, which blood-sucker will fall madly in love when he least expects to!

Okay, go ahead, you can hit PLAY now. Enjoy! Just be sure to hit the comments afterwards with your thoughts.

1. Kate says:

I know some people don’t like the Violet/Pete storyline, but I just love Tim and I’m sad to see him go! I wish it was Taye who left, I can’t stand Sam! I feel like they are pushing the Sam/Addison drama down our throats. I just don’t see the chemistry! So many other people could have left to allow for the original cast to say their goodbyes. Oh well, I’ll continue to watch. It’s not a great show, but it has good actors and it’s a guilty pleasure.

2. Nicole says:

I prefer benjamin bratt out of the show. His character is too forced and he’s done nothing for the show. Why was he on the show in the first place again? They should just end the show next season with the original cast. Pete is annoying, but without Tim on the show? who’s been on for 5 years, its kinda sad.

3. S. from A. says:

hopefully season 5 is more consistent than the last one… season 4 was a complete wreck and i didn’t feel like continuing watching about half way through. and that from someone who loved the 4th book best!

4. taim says:

season 4 was a disaster and they ruined the 4th book, yeah before some people come here again and say “its not the books”, I know that, but its not only that, the writing on the show has become bad and I prefer the books and at least book sookie is smarter than the TV version… and she is not obsessed with bill…

the only thing that will be interesting in season 5 is the eric pam flashback, the bromance crap I am just not feeling… its ridicolous to see all the matching clothing stuff yuck…

• Rjrtist says:

Ditto on the books, because the characters are more defined. But you can’t keep on adding a bus load of characters and have everybody get a storyline. A few are fine but don’t over do it.

I’ll make a prediction ratings will be up when it starts but go down at season’s end. Some storylines this season are a real train wreck.

5. Julie (@CDNspnFAN) says:

Tara is in that video thumbnail….. oh no.

6. Jen says:

Seaon 5 was the worst. The storylines could have been written by elemetary students. They were unrealistic, fantasy stories. The story with Erika and Mason was bad. Completely contived, Is it any wonder this show is in jeopardy? One can only hope there’s a shake up in the writing next season and they are capable of coming up with thought provoking but realistic scenarios. Can we just chalk season 5 up to somone’s nightmare and start off again where season 4 left off back when the show was still good?

7. Jenny says:

“now let’s stare at each other while the credits role” lmao!!!!

8. ggny says:

Russell and Pam…Im betting on it

9. Meridian says:

True Blood: We need more “vampire politics” like we need even MORE obscure characters hogging the screen time. I certainly hope this season makes more sense than last season, but I’m not betting on it. The books, at least, had some humor. I really hope more of that humor makes it onto the screen.

The “Eric*Sookie*Bill” triangle was the only saving grace of Season 4, and it doesn’t sound like we’re even being given that in Season 5. (Like we WANT to see Eric snogging his suddenly-invented “SISTER”? Ugh.)

10. Jess says:

I’m thinking that Russell is going to fall in love with Steve Newlin.

11. TDS-Matt says:

I really enjoyed Season 4 — I thought Season 3 was terribly weak outside of Russell, and I was close to giving the show up for good. But S4 was a lot of pulpy fun. Marnie, Bill being King… I just had a blast with it and thought it was the best year the show’s had.

• tvaddict says:

Agreed! I think season 4 was very strong and season 2 was pretty fun too but the Maryann plot lasted a bit too long. Season 3 was definitely the weakest

• trisha says:

IDK, I thought season 3 was a mess, but still pretty fun, while season 4 was a TERRIBLE mess and not even in an entertaining way. It just made no sense, plus the witch storyline was weak and unfocused. Also, I find that characters are increasingly inconsistent.

I hope season 5 fixes some problems, but from what I’ve read all the issues just get worse.
      There’ll probably still be fun moments here and there, but drowned in a sea of meandering plots, erratic character development and pure shock value…

12. David Torres says:

Joan knew what she was doing, however saying she’d do it for 5%, of the company was genius of her. Whatever happens in these final 2 episodes of the season, will determine if she’s a true HO, or not…

• Britta Unfiltered says:

The 5% wasn’t her idea, it was Lane’s. And I don’t think her reasons for doing it were all that financially related. I believe it was more about, “Well, this is how men are always going to treat me, I may as well play the part and be what they want.” I think they made her believe she wasn’t worth any better than a common prostitute, and that’s why she did it. If any one of those guys had come to her before she went through with it (remember Don was too late), and told her she was worth too much as a person to be doing their dirty work for them like that, she wouldn’t have gone through with it. All she needed was one man to tell her she was too worthy to be sold. It’s too bad her husband made her self-esteem take a dump, because she used to be quite a confident gal with no self-doubts.

13. jon says:

So glad I checked back in with Spoiler Alert! I had tuned out because of Spoiler Alert Theatre, decided to risk a peek to hear the True Blood scoop, and was dreading the awful segue to SA Theatre, and it never came! Thank you for doing away with that segment.

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh, Aus, you and me BOTH hope we get to see more of Megan! I think I would be a lot more cool with this character if her appearances were like the ones last week where we just see her in a few scenes, and then occasionally she was allowed to have an episode of her own with more focus on her, instead of 85% of the episodes being all about her while all the other characters’ stories suffer.
    I am really worried for Joan. Call me an idealist, but I do not believe the ends justify the means, and I definitely do not believe that prostitution is an empowering, feminist activity as some others believe. Every time Joan gets a check from SDCP, it’s going to be a reminder to her of how she sold herself for the rest of her life.

15. MARIAPOMPEO says:

Russell Edgington and Steve Newlin is going to do it

16. Peggy says:

Okay ropes, that was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was going on behind Matt. LOL!

17. rubytu says:

I like Sookie and Bill, (they really have that magnetism between them), and Terry and Arlene (they’re as cute as two peas in a pod). I miss Sookie’s grandma, still. I loved the relationship between the two of them.

18. lisa says:

I might be repeating myself but True Blood would be so much better if they actually followed the book’s story lines, I’m not even saying that everything should be the same but from the moment the TV show started to stray from the books it lost a bit of it’s magic… I mean I’m ok with them wanting to do their own thing, but couldn’t they just throw us novel fans a bone and maybe introduce at least ONE new character that’s actually in the Sookie Stackhouse series. (Quinn, please!)

• I think Joe Mangianello is so hot right now (pun intended) that they are going to morph his character with Alcide’s. I think it makes sense given Joe’s strength as an actor and popularity in the show. I ended up hating Quinn in the book at the end. I would rather Alan take the Alcide character and give him Quinn’s best traits without the way it ended.

• lisa says:

well I kind of hate Alcide right now too (I’m on the 10th book and he’s being an a-hole) but hey, it doesn’t have to be Quinn, I would just like to see them acknowledge that the books exist an introduce maybe one or two new characters that were actually featured in them…. it’s not really too much to ask since they are introducing like 10 new characters this season and none of them are in the novels.

19. tvdiva says:

Very nice interviews at the True Blood premiere. I guess Tara comes back as a vampire. I wonder if Pam will be her maker. And who the heck does Russell fall in love with? Reverend Steve?

20. Isabelle says:

I’ve read in different spoilers Tara won’t be a vamp. In the trailer is shows Lala there soon after Tara is shot. I think with Marnie in him he’s going to bring her back as some zombie type of thing. Just my thought. I do agree in wishing there were more elements from the books to mix in with some of the great things they’ve created on the show. My biggest wish is to see Eric like the awesome vamp he was and not a lovestruck puppy ala s4 when he got his memory back and went against Pam.

21. I haven’t even watched that. I saw the screenshot with Tara.
    I’m done.
    Seriously, I’m not watching the show any more if her character isn’t dead.
    Series 4 was an utter mess in every way.
    We need more vamps, less obscure characters & botched attempts at adapting storylines from the novels.
    I’d say “give us Quinn” as well, but they’d just screw it up anyway.

22. ripleyaeryn says:

I want more Sookie/Alcide/Eric triangle! I’m so done with Bill!

23. maltru says:

Matt, I look at the ropes and think it’s window cleaning day when you guys film. I’m hoping they’re not actually nooses!!

24. S says:

All you people do is complain and complain some more so why don’t you just go read your books and quit watching the show ? If the show was exactly like the book it would be boring. I am a Sookie/Eric fan so I wouldn’t mind if they kept that obviously but everything else I think is fine if they make it different and can even do S&E different ways. Some saying they are done because of Tara? really? She’s been here this long and you”ve been watching what’s the problem? gmab. Just don’t watch

25. guest says:

yes, I am looking at the ropes in the window and I am wondering what that is. How often can you have the window washers in? ;)

26. I can’t speak for others, but for me Tara is the character that has gotten worse & worse as the show has went on, to the point I stopped watching last series.
    I’d happily hoped to return upon hearing she’d been killed off, but it seems that is definitely not the case, so yes, I’ll be taking your advice and not watching, just like I said in my earlier post.

Sure, there is lots to be excited about this series; Russell, Pam getting more screen time, Chris Meloni – but to a great many fans, Tara is a polarising character. She’s the marmite of the show & is a lot of the time portrayed as “angry black woman(tm)”. That’s not me being racist, it’s the simple truth.
    For whatever reason, the makers of the show seem to have her pegged in a stereotype role, and I think it’s pretty wrong, especially when you consider how diverse the LaFayette role is.

Had Tara been more like the books, there would have been no issue for me at least.
    She may be a peripheral character for the most part, but at least Harris writes the character better than Ball & co.

27. Aboudzo Koffi Christian says:

According to revolation 13 the number 666 is man;s number

28. Kelly says:

I’m calling it now. Russell made Steve Newlin and that’s how he was saved from his concrete grave.