Spoiler Alert!: True Blood Stars Spill Their Guts on Season 5! Plus: Private Practice Time Jump?

Get More: Spoilers, Video

True Blood Season 5 Finale SpoilersIn this week’s edition of Spoiler Alert!, Matt Mitovich and I predict how Private Practice will do away with axed actor Tim Daly and reflect on the fallout from Mad Men‘s decision to make Joan a prostitute. But what will really have you clicking “play” quicker than a True Blood vampire in fast-forward mode is…

Megan Masters’ red-carpet interviews with the cast and creator Alan Ball at the HBO hit’s premiere! Among the spoilers to which I should alert you before you watch, she finds out:

* that this is the season of “church and state”
* that we’ll learn Eric and Pam’s backstory
* the nature of Eric’s relationship with his sister
* how holier-than-thou Steve takes to life as a fanger
* how Russell is different this time around
* and, last but not least, which blood-sucker will fall madly in love when he least expects to!

Okay, go ahead, you can hit PLAY now. Enjoy! Just be sure to hit the comments afterwards with your thoughts.

Comments (41)

• I know some people don’t like the Violet/Pete storyline, but I just love Tim and I’m sad to see him go! I wish it was Taye who left, I can’t stand Sam! I feel like they are pushing the Sam/Addison drama down our throats. I just don’t see the chemistry! So many other people could have left to allow for the original cast to say their goodbyes. Oh well, I’ll continue to watch. It’s not a great show, but it has good actors and it’s a guilty pleasure.

Comment by Kate – June 3, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I wanted Pete/Addy together. Not a Violet fan, liked Sam before Addisam ugh.

Comment by lorna – June 4, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I prefer benjamin bratt out of the show. His character is too forced and he’s done nothing for the show. Why was he on the show in the first place again? They should just end the show next season with the original cast. Pete is annoying, but without Tim on the show? who’s been on for 5 years, its kinda sad.

Comment by Nicole – June 3, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hopefully season 5 is more consistent than the last one… season 4 was a complete wreck and i didn’t feel like continuing watching about half way through. and that from someone who loved the 4th book best!

Comment by S. from A. – June 3, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • season 4 was a disaster and they ruined the 4th book, yeah before some people come here again and say “its not the books”, I know that, but its not only that, the writing on the show has become bad and I prefer the books and at least book sookie is smarter than the TV version… and she is not obsessed with bill…

the only thing that will be interesting in season 5 is the eric pam flashback, the bromance crap I am just not feeling… its ridicolous to see all the matching clothing stuff yuck…

Comment by taim – June 3, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto on the books, because the characters are more defined. But you can’t keep on adding a bus load of characters and have everybody get a storyline. A few are fine but don’t over do it.

I’ll make a prediction ratings will be up when it starts but go down at season’s end. Some storylines this season are a real train wreck.

Comment by Rjrtist – June 3, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tara is in that video thumbnail….. oh no.

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – June 3, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seaon 5 was the worst. The storylines could have been written by elemetary students. They were unrealistic, fantasy stories. The story with Erika and Mason was bad. Completely contived, Is it any wonder this show is in jeopardy? One can only hope there’s a shake up in the writing next season and they are capable of coming up with thought provoking but realistic scenarios. Can we just chalk season 5 up to somone’s nightmare and start off again where season 4 left off back when the show was still good?

Comment by Jen – June 3, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “now let’s stare at each other while the credits role” lmao!!!!

Comment by Jenny – June 3, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Russell and Pam…Im betting on it

Comment by ggny – June 3, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood: We need more “vampire politics” like we need even MORE obscure characters hogging the screen time. I certainly hope this season makes more sense than last season, but I’m not betting on it. The books, at least, had some humor. I really hope more of that humor makes it onto the screen.

The “Eric*Sookie*Bill” triangle was the only saving grace of Season 4, and it doesn’t sound like we’re even being given that in Season 5. (Like we WANT to see Eric snogging his suddenly-invented “SISTER”? Ugh.)

Comment by Meridian – June 3, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • completely agree

Comment by ivy clark – June 4, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking that Russell is going to fall in love with Steve Newlin.

Comment by Jess – June 3, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing it might be Lafayette

Comment by Linda – June 3, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed Season 4 — I thought Season 3 was terribly weak outside of Russell, and I was close to giving the show up for good. But S4 was a lot of pulpy fun. Marnie, Bill being King… I just had a blast with it and thought it was the best year the show’s had.

Comment by TDS-Matt – June 3, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I think season 4 was very strong and season 2 was pretty fun too but the Maryann plot lasted a bit too long. Season 3 was definitely the weakest

Comment by tvaddict – June 3, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree^^^ Seaon 3 was my least favorite.

Comment by hasbeenmuse – June 4, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IDK, I thought season 3 was a mess, but still pretty fun, while season 4 was a TERRIBLE mess and not even in an entertaining way. It just made no sense, plus the witch storyline was weak and unfocused. Also, I find that characters are increasingly inconsistent.

I hope season 5 fixes some problems, but from what I’ve read all the issues just get worse.
      There’ll probably still be fun moments here and there, but drowned in a sea of meandering plots, erratic character development and pure shock value…

Comment by trisha – June 3, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joan knew what she was doing, however saying she’d do it for 5%, of the company was genius of her. Whatever happens in these final 2 episodes of the season, will determine if she’s a true HO, or not…

Comment by David Torres – June 3, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The 5% wasn’t her idea, it was Lane’s. And I don’t think her reasons for doing it were all that financially related. I believe it was more about, “Well, this is how men are always going to treat me, I may as well play the part and be what they want.” I think they made her believe she wasn’t worth any better than a common prostitute, and that’s why she did it. If any one of those guys had come to her before she went through with it (remember Don was too late), and told her she was worth too much as a person to be doing their dirty work for them like that, she wouldn’t have gone through with it. All she needed was one man to tell her she was too worthy to be sold. It’s too bad her husband made her self-esteem take a dump, because she used to be quite a confident gal with no self-doubts.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 3, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad I checked back in with Spoiler Alert! I had tuned out because of Spoiler Alert Theatre, decided to risk a peek to hear the True Blood scoop, and was dreading the awful segue to SA Theatre, and it never came! Thank you for doing away with that segment.

Comment by jon – June 3, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, Aus, you and me BOTH hope we get to see more of Megan! I think I would be a lot more cool with this character if her appearances were like the ones last week where we just see her in a few scenes, and then occasionally she was allowed to have an episode of her own with more focus on her, instead of 85% of the episodes being all about her while all the other characters’ stories suffer.
    I am really worried for Joan. Call me an idealist, but I do not believe the ends justify the means, and I definitely do not believe that prostitution is an empowering, feminist activity as some others believe. Every time Joan gets a check from SDCP, it’s going to be a reminder to her of how she sold herself for the rest of her life.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 3, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Russell Edgington and Steve Newlin is going to do it

Comment by MARIAPOMPEO – June 3, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay ropes, that was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was going on behind Matt. LOL!

Comment by Peggy – June 3, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Sookie and Bill, (they really have that magnetism between them), and Terry and Arlene (they’re as cute as two peas in a pod). I miss Sookie’s grandma, still. I loved the relationship between the two of them.

Comment by rubytu – June 3, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might be repeating myself but True Blood would be so much better if they actually followed the book’s story lines, I’m not even saying that everything should be the same but from the moment the TV show started to stray from the books it lost a bit of it’s magic… I mean I’m ok with them wanting to do their own thing, but couldn’t they just throw us novel fans a bone and maybe introduce at least ONE new character that’s actually in the Sookie Stackhouse series. (Quinn, please!)

Comment by lisa – June 3, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Joe Mangianello is so hot right now (pun intended) that they are going to morph his character with Alcide’s. I think it makes sense given Joe’s strength as an actor and popularity in the show. I ended up hating Quinn in the book at the end. I would rather Alan take the Alcide character and give him Quinn’s best traits without the way it ended.

Comment by morrow10 (@morrow10) – June 3, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • well I kind of hate Alcide right now too (I’m on the 10th book and he’s being an a-hole) but hey, it doesn’t have to be Quinn, I would just like to see them acknowledge that the books exist an introduce maybe one or two new characters that were actually featured in them…. it’s not really too much to ask since they are introducing like 10 new characters this season and none of them are in the novels.

Comment by lisa – June 3, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice interviews at the True Blood premiere. I guess Tara comes back as a vampire. I wonder if Pam will be her maker. And who the heck does Russell fall in love with? Reverend Steve?

Comment by tvdiva – June 3, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read in different spoilers Tara won’t be a vamp. In the trailer is shows Lala there soon after Tara is shot. I think with Marnie in him he’s going to bring her back as some zombie type of thing. Just my thought. I do agree in wishing there were more elements from the books to mix in with some of the great things they’ve created on the show. My biggest wish is to see Eric like the awesome vamp he was and not a lovestruck puppy ala s4 when he got his memory back and went against Pam.

Comment by Isabelle – June 3, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t even watched that. I saw the screenshot with Tara.
    I’m done.
    Seriously, I’m not watching the show any more if her character isn’t dead.
    Series 4 was an utter mess in every way.
    We need more vamps, less obscure characters & botched attempts at adapting storylines from the novels.
    I’d say “give us Quinn” as well, but they’d just screw it up anyway.

Comment by Brian Gilmour (@TheFifthDoctor) – June 4, 2012 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want more Sookie/Alcide/Eric triangle! I’m so done with Bill!

Comment by ripleyaeryn – June 4, 2012 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, I look at the ropes and think it’s window cleaning day when you guys film. I’m hoping they’re not actually nooses!!

Comment by maltru – June 4, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All you people do is complain and complain some more so why don’t you just go read your books and quit watching the show ? If the show was exactly like the book it would be boring. I am a Sookie/Eric fan so I wouldn’t mind if they kept that obviously but everything else I think is fine if they make it different and can even do S&E different ways. Some saying they are done because of Tara? really? She’s been here this long and you”ve been watching what’s the problem? gmab. Just don’t watch

Comment by S – June 4, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes, I am looking at the ropes in the window and I am wondering what that is. How often can you have the window washers in? ;)

Comment by guest – June 4, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The beast is a man and he is in this world.

Comment by Aboudzo Koffi Christian – June 9, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t speak for others, but for me Tara is the character that has gotten worse & worse as the show has went on, to the point I stopped watching last series.
    I’d happily hoped to return upon hearing she’d been killed off, but it seems that is definitely not the case, so yes, I’ll be taking your advice and not watching, just like I said in my earlier post.

Sure, there is lots to be excited about this series; Russell, Pam getting more screen time, Chris Meloni – but to a great many fans, Tara is a polarising character. She’s the marmite of the show & is a lot of the time portrayed as “angry black woman(tm)”. That’s not me being racist, it’s the simple truth.
    For whatever reason, the makers of the show seem to have her pegged in a stereotype role, and I think it’s pretty wrong, especially when you consider how diverse the LaFayette role is.

Had Tara been more like the books, there would have been no issue for me at least.
    She may be a peripheral character for the most part, but at least Harris writes the character better than Ball & co.

Comment by Brian Gilmour (@TheFifthDoctor) – June 5, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • According to revolation 13 the number 666 is man;s number

Comment by Aboudzo Koffi Christian – June 9, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m calling it now. Russell made Steve Newlin and that’s how he was saved from his concrete grave.

Comment by Kelly – July 1, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post