Idology: Skylar Laine on Guns, Guitars, and Glory Notes. Plus: Hear a Bit of Her Self-Penned 'Pistol'!

If Skylar Laine is upset about her fifth-place finish on Season 11 of American Idol, she’s doing a darn fine job of concealing it. The upbeat Mississippi teenager stopped by Idology HQ for a two-part interview where she talked about everything from her “out of control” performing hand to the random thoughts that populate her head on stage tothe moment she had to subtly correct Randy Jackson during Billy Joel Week.

RELATED | American Idol: Nigel Lythgoe Talks ‘White Guys With Guitars,’ Ratings Declines, Twitter Peeves

Skylar also dished why her post-Idol album might be a little different from the tunes she covered on the Idol stage, how guns play an important role in her life (and her songwriting), which Season 7 Idol helped inspire one of her biggest moments on the show, and how she approached her countrified version of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.”

PHOTOS | American Idol Photo Gallery: The 21 Best Performances of Season 11!

Oh, and if that’s not enough to entice you to press play, Skylar even belted a couple bars of her favorite self-penned ditty, “Diamond Studded Pistol.” So what are you waiting for? Watch both parts of the Skylar Laine Idology experience, then hit the comments with your thoughts! And for all my off-season Idol news, interviews, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. noa says:

Elise’s flowers!

• Kitty says:

I kind of wish he had done the judges’ “everybody wins!” schtick and given Elise flowers too. I can’t be mad at Skylar for getting the flowers, because I do think she deserves it. If only for correcting Randy on which country artist covered “Shameless”. That was just one of the best non-performance moments for me.

• noa says:

i like Skylar! she was my no.2 this season. but if you’re not giving flowers to all 3 (Skylar, Josh and Elise) then she is NOT my pick. and everyone here knows it by now, no? :)

• Kitty says:

Really? I had no idea. I haven’t really been clear about my obsession with–UH, I mean love for Elise either, so….

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was voting for an Elise-Skylar top 2. I actually would have loved an Elise-Skylar-Erika top 3. It’s good to have a dream.

• noa says:

wow! i never let myself dream that far! sounds great… (Elise Erika top 2 even better for me. just cause EVP is such a rocking lady). but ok now, we’re having 2 different (and yet similar) conversations here and on twitter and it’s 2 am here, so i’m going to sleep :) till tomorrow Kitty!

• gdv says:

I love Skylar, and that’s coming from someone who totally hates contemporary country music. But she’s just so authentic! (Unlike robots Lauren Alaina and Carrie Underwood). Skylar just has that genuine country quality about her–like Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn. I’m so glad she writes her own songs and plays the guitar. I hope she has some huge hits. I would totally rock out to her stuff.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

What would happen if Slezak’s favorite was a guy? Would they get flowers, and would it be awkward?

• Sha says:

as much as I like Skylar (and know that she was Michael’s fav this season) I was pulling for Joshua to get them! I’m going to choose to believe that Michael had a hard time choosing who to give them to and decided to go with Skylar to stick to tradition and give them to a female :p

• My Alter Ego says:

@ Sha: I don’t think that Mr. Slezak give flowers to the guys (otherwise, why give them to Alison Ireheta rather than Adam Lambert), but given how much he liked Skylar’s performances, it’s not surprising. (Skyler may not have been the contestant of choice of the Idoloonie base, but this is his choice.)

• Taylor says:

Because Allison was his hands down favorite for a good majority of the season?

• noa says:

i think he even liked Kris more than Adam. did you watch Idolatry that season? weren’t you part of the save the rocker movement? :) i think that if he had done the flowers thing in seasons 4 and 5 a guy would have gotten the flowers (Bo and Elliott). i hope Slezak doesn’t think giving flowers to a man is “awkward”. who cares?

• Danny says:

Where can I find past seasons of this show? I saw Shiobhan by accident somewhere, but it didn’t link over to anywhere else that I could find. I’ve only known of this site for 2 years. So anything before that, I’m not sure if they’re archived or not. I’d love to see interviews from Bo, Vonzell, David Cook, Allison, etc.

• noa says:

@Danny- this site started about 2 years ago, so here you can find seasons 10 and 11. before then Slezak wwas writing for EW.com, and the show was called Idolatry. i think you can find a few interviews from season 6 on EW.com, and you have a lot of seasons 7-9 on youtube or on ew.com. i’v never seen things from season 4 (for Bo and Vonzell) though. not sure he was even recapping Idol then. enjoy! Idolatry is hilarious, even a few years later. i recommend season 8 stuff in particular….

• MamaLis says:

Yes Danny, Noa’s correct. I spent a good 2 hours a few weeks back watching old Michael interviews. Just go to utube and type in Michael Slezak Idolatry and then the name of the Idol you’d like to see the interview of. It’s likely there!! Good stuff.

• jey says:

Wow, 2 idology episode this week. An extra endulgence for me…. kinda like Michael giving the flower to skylar..

2. WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak says:

You must have been jumping up and down before she walked in, Slezak! Haha! :p

3. Mik says:

She should have gone much much further!! :)

4. MA says:

Aw, Skylar. Boy, she seems like a lot of fun.

5. noa says:

Slezak, you keep saying things in plural: we thought, to us, we felt like you deserved…
    this time, it was only you! Melinda and Jason each had their own favorites, so at least speak for yourself. having said that- if Joshua gets flowers too, you’ll have The Elites coming after you :) be careful!

6. buffy522 says:

So sweet to give her the season flowers. She deserved it. I don’t go for country that much but Skyler is gonna take off big time.

7. Sha says:

That snippet of her original song sounded really good! Even though she doesn’t prefer ballads, her Kellie Pickler song was one of her best moments. Skylar will go far. She’s already like a pro

8. Rolfe says:

Not a country fan, but I’ll buy her album. She should have won.

9. tuppy says:

She seemed really knowledgeable about seasons past (Pia, Lauren, even Carly Smithson!) — I wish you’d asked her more about her pre-11 Idol-watching experience and how much that informed her self-presentation.

So many of the contestants pretend that they had no previous experience or just didn’t care about what other contestants had done before them (i.e. Elise), but it’s most fascinating when they understand that they’re part of a lineage that’s well-remembered by fans watching at home.

10. umbrella says:

Rats! Can’t part 2 to work…

11. sg54 says:

I really did love Skylar so much, but now i CANT WAIT for her friends Hollie and Joshua!!! And jessica’s interview will definitely be interesting too. can’t wait! Oh, if only the people i mentioned were top 4 :)

12. marygrace says:

Enjoyed the interview.

13. Skylar was epic. She deserves that bouquet. Best country person that’s ever been on the show for me.

• Julia says:

I agree (except for Carrie.) I think the main reason Skylar didn’t go further was “country burn-out,” since last season’s country music sweep of the top two. It was probably better for AI that she didn’t win (don’t want to known as a country star only show) but Skylar was WAY better than Scotty and whats-her-name from last season. Had she been in the top 10 last year, she would have won the whole thing and been a superstar by now.

14. Karen says:

Recording. Artist.
    Skylurrrrve. <3

15. Suggestor says:

I just re-watched the first live show with the 12 females and with the added hindsight of watching the whole season you can really tell why the top ladies in the top ten touring finalists got picked over the others. I really could not picture the others holding up to the rest of the schedule and demands. Skylar, Elise, Hollie and Jessica really looked so at ease on the stage. I liked Skylar’s performance even more now that I see it in that context. You knew she could handle the stress. Erika’s wasn’t as smooth but she saved it the next night when she sang for her spot.The others were really caught by the nerves, bad song from very beginning and pressure to perform. That weekly grind would have been rough. Wish her the best!

• jey says:

I don’t agree with you about erikas top 12 girls performance. She was awesome that night. Lot of restraint and great tune in her voice. She was not just picked up by voters

16. Amy says:

I was surprised how much I ended up loving Skylar. She has such a great, infectious stage presence. I hope she does well for herself. I knew she was going to get the flowers, she deserves it! I still wish it had been a Skylar-Joshua finale.

• My Alter Ego says:

@ Amy: “I was surprised how much I ended up loving Skylar. She has such a great, infectious stage presence. I hope she does well for herself.”

*****

I think it’s fairly obvious that Skylar will land on her feet in the country music world.

17. em says:

Diamond-Studded Pistol sounds like a hit to me. I’d download that in a heartbeat. Skylar seems to really know what she wants musically and I like that. I hope that never changes.

18. Owen says:

Even though this girl is ambitious and knows exactly who she is, I don’t think even she knows how talented she is.

19. Princess Adora says:

Great interview! I <3 Skylar, and I don't even really like country music. She's just so spunky and talented ^_^

20. paisley says:

Love this firecracker of a gal! Skylar is going to be a huge success — can’t wait for her first album. Thank you Michael for this charming interview.

21. Kitty says:

I just love how smart and well-spoken she is.

22. karenb says:

Love your interviews, Slezak. Hate the interview room, tho!!

23. Tahoe Mike says:

Thanks, I’ve been waiting for this!! Skylar, you rock! I loved that Michael introduced her as the winner of season 11, she is as far as I am concerned.
    ~
    I have this crazy idea that I’d love to see Skylar and Allison Iraheta rock out together. I think that would be awesome.

• Kitty says:

That’s not crazy. That is a FANTASTIC idea. I’m putting it at #2 on my dream duets list.

(#1 is a Elise/Haley duet. Shocker.)

24. bjp says:

Skylar, you’re awesome!

25. Mark says:

Is she interested in acting at all?

26. i KNEW she stole carly’s version of show must go on. I KNEW IT!!!!!!

27. Pat says:

Skylar’s fun. But no Michael, she should not have won.

• ejones says:

An acquired taste that I and many more, judging by the relatively few comments, never tasted, she over-achieved to get 5th in my view.

28. Mick says:

I think Skylar should of have won and I am not a country fan. She has the potential to be a a country superstar.

29. JAO says:

Loved the interview and Skylar … would definitely buy DSP – sounds like a hit to me, and I’m not country. She is so cute and poised and talented!

30. Jon says:

I love Skylar. And I love how she says ‘song’.

31. rd1991 says:

YEY! Finally been waiting with such anticipation for this! Great interview Slezak! Thanks! Cant wait to see Skylar develop into a huge country star.

32. Mary B says:

She was not my favorite but I do believe she will be a success. She is very talented and I just don’t know why I can’t warm up to her, she was actually my least favorite girl.

33. Yo' says:

Wow! This interview snuck in; what a nice surprise! This little girl is going to go a long way. She has a good sense of who she is, what she wants to do, and where she is going. Very talented.

34. Gina says:

Nice! You know, I had my very favorite, right from the start (EVP), and it was a disappointment when she left, and I wasn’t totally commited to anyone after that (although, I certainly had opinions on the remaining contestants) but…they are all SUCH nice kids during these interviews and I’m really glad that all of them had this monumental opportunity.
    Great interviews, Michael!

35. J says:

My favorite contestant of the season. I looooooove her accent. She is so country. Love it! Skylar is going to be a huge star.

36. Casey says:

Skylar should have won! She is the only contestant who’s music I have any interest in buying! Sadly, a girl can’t win AI for which I blame other girls! C’mon ladies, when are we going to start sticking up for each other instead of thinking about the guys?

37. Idol watcher says:

I would’ve much preferred her as a country Idol to Scotty and Ms Boring. But while she did have some fantastic performances (Stay with me, didn’t you know how much I loved you) I find it weird that Slezak finds her the best.

Don’t get me wrong, I unlike most, think that she was the best of the top 5 (sorry Joshua fans, but constant oversinging is annoying and It’s a mans mans mans world was unbearable to me). I think that Elise, EVP, or even Colton could’ve earned the flowers with more time on the show. But I love skylar and her spunk and smarts. I’ll buy her album.

38. DawnieD says:

You are right on with the Madrell sisters comment! We used to watch that show faithfully! Great trip on memory lane for me, thanks!

39. Davey says:

I like Skylar’s energy and I think she will do well. But I’ll be honest–the gun thing turns me off big time. Very nice interview, though. Can’t wait for Joshua and Jessica.

40. blingedup says:

I’ve been waiting for this one and it didn’t disappoint. I would’ve given her flowers too! Can’t wait to follow her career.

41. P3A says:

I have to say that skylar has won me over. Her stage presense is something special, something I have never really seen on idol, ever.

42. MamaLis says:

Awesome! That would be great if she could be AI’s Miranda Lambert. (Didn’t she come from a singing show herself?) And I TOTALLY agree she kicks talent-booty over the female crooner from last season. Who was lovely but…… Skylar’s way stronger!!!