Idology: Skylar Laine on Guns, Guitars, and Glory Notes. Plus: Hear a Bit of Her Self-Penned 'Pistol'!

If Skylar Laine is upset about her fifth-place finish on Season 11 of American Idol, she’s doing a darn fine job of concealing it. The upbeat Mississippi teenager stopped by Idology HQ for a two-part interview where she talked about everything from her “out of control” performing hand to the random thoughts that populate her head on stage tothe moment she had to subtly correct Randy Jackson during Billy Joel Week.

RELATED | American Idol: Nigel Lythgoe Talks ‘White Guys With Guitars,’ Ratings Declines, Twitter Peeves

Skylar also dished why her post-Idol album might be a little different from the tunes she covered on the Idol stage, how guns play an important role in her life (and her songwriting), which Season 7 Idol helped inspire one of her biggest moments on the show, and how she approached her countrified version of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine.”

PHOTOS | American Idol Photo Gallery: The 21 Best Performances of Season 11!

Oh, and if that’s not enough to entice you to press play, Skylar even belted a couple bars of her favorite self-penned ditty, “Diamond Studded Pistol.” So what are you waiting for? Watch both parts of the Skylar Laine Idology experience, then hit the comments with your thoughts! And for all my off-season Idol news, interviews, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (67)

• Elise’s flowers!

Comment by noa – June 1, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kind of wish he had done the judges’ “everybody wins!” schtick and given Elise flowers too. I can’t be mad at Skylar for getting the flowers, because I do think she deserves it. If only for correcting Randy on which country artist covered “Shameless”. That was just one of the best non-performance moments for me.

Comment by Kitty – June 1, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i like Skylar! she was my no.2 this season. but if you’re not giving flowers to all 3 (Skylar, Josh and Elise) then she is NOT my pick. and everyone here knows it by now, no? :)

Comment by noa – June 1, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really? I had no idea. I haven’t really been clear about my obsession with–UH, I mean love for Elise either, so….

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I was voting for an Elise-Skylar top 2. I actually would have loved an Elise-Skylar-Erika top 3. It’s good to have a dream.

Comment by Kitty – June 1, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • wow! i never let myself dream that far! sounds great… (Elise Erika top 2 even better for me. just cause EVP is such a rocking lady). but ok now, we’re having 2 different (and yet similar) conversations here and on twitter and it’s 2 am here, so i’m going to sleep :) till tomorrow Kitty!

Comment by noa – June 1, 2012 03:54 PM PDT
      • I love Skylar, and that’s coming from someone who totally hates contemporary country music. But she’s just so authentic! (Unlike robots Lauren Alaina and Carrie Underwood). Skylar just has that genuine country quality about her–like Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn. I’m so glad she writes her own songs and plays the guitar. I hope she has some huge hits. I would totally rock out to her stuff.

Comment by gdv – June 2, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What would happen if Slezak’s favorite was a guy? Would they get flowers, and would it be awkward?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – June 1, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • as much as I like Skylar (and know that she was Michael’s fav this season) I was pulling for Joshua to get them! I’m going to choose to believe that Michael had a hard time choosing who to give them to and decided to go with Skylar to stick to tradition and give them to a female :p

Comment by Sha – June 1, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @ Sha: I don’t think that Mr. Slezak give flowers to the guys (otherwise, why give them to Alison Ireheta rather than Adam Lambert), but given how much he liked Skylar’s performances, it’s not surprising. (Skyler may not have been the contestant of choice of the Idoloonie base, but this is his choice.)

Comment by My Alter Ego – June 2, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Because Allison was his hands down favorite for a good majority of the season?

Comment by Taylor – June 2, 2012 11:18 AM PDT
          • i think he even liked Kris more than Adam. did you watch Idolatry that season? weren’t you part of the save the rocker movement? :) i think that if he had done the flowers thing in seasons 4 and 5 a guy would have gotten the flowers (Bo and Elliott). i hope Slezak doesn’t think giving flowers to a man is “awkward”. who cares?

Comment by noa – June 3, 2012 12:07 AM PDT
          • Where can I find past seasons of this show? I saw Shiobhan by accident somewhere, but it didn’t link over to anywhere else that I could find. I’ve only known of this site for 2 years. So anything before that, I’m not sure if they’re archived or not. I’d love to see interviews from Bo, Vonzell, David Cook, Allison, etc.

Comment by Danny – June 3, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
          • @Danny- this site started about 2 years ago, so here you can find seasons 10 and 11. before then Slezak wwas writing for EW.com, and the show was called Idolatry. i think you can find a few interviews from season 6 on EW.com, and you have a lot of seasons 7-9 on youtube or on ew.com. i’v never seen things from season 4 (for Bo and Vonzell) though. not sure he was even recapping Idol then. enjoy! Idolatry is hilarious, even a few years later. i recommend season 8 stuff in particular….

Comment by noa – June 3, 2012 11:06 PM PDT
          • Yes Danny, Noa’s correct. I spent a good 2 hours a few weeks back watching old Michael interviews. Just go to utube and type in Michael Slezak Idolatry and then the name of the Idol you’d like to see the interview of. It’s likely there!! Good stuff.

Comment by MamaLis – June 7, 2012 02:40 PM PDT
    • Wow, 2 idology episode this week. An extra endulgence for me…. kinda like Michael giving the flower to skylar..

Comment by jey – June 1, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You must have been jumping up and down before she walked in, Slezak! Haha! :p

Comment by WishesRandyCouldn'tSpeak – June 1, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by CatLyons – June 1, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should have gone much much further!! :)

Comment by Mik – June 1, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, Skylar. Boy, she seems like a lot of fun.

Comment by MA – June 1, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah! smart, fun kid. i want to see her do well. and i’m sure she will!

Comment by noa – June 1, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, you keep saying things in plural: we thought, to us, we felt like you deserved…
    this time, it was only you! Melinda and Jason each had their own favorites, so at least speak for yourself. having said that- if Joshua gets flowers too, you’ll have The Elites coming after you :) be careful!

Comment by noa – June 1, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sweet to give her the season flowers. She deserved it. I don’t go for country that much but Skyler is gonna take off big time.

Comment by buffy522 – June 1, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That snippet of her original song sounded really good! Even though she doesn’t prefer ballads, her Kellie Pickler song was one of her best moments. Skylar will go far. She’s already like a pro

Comment by Sha – June 1, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a country fan, but I’ll buy her album. She should have won.

Comment by Rolfe – June 1, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She seemed really knowledgeable about seasons past (Pia, Lauren, even Carly Smithson!) — I wish you’d asked her more about her pre-11 Idol-watching experience and how much that informed her self-presentation.

So many of the contestants pretend that they had no previous experience or just didn’t care about what other contestants had done before them (i.e. Elise), but it’s most fascinating when they understand that they’re part of a lineage that’s well-remembered by fans watching at home.

Comment by tuppy – June 1, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rats! Can’t part 2 to work…

Comment by umbrella – June 1, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did love Skylar so much, but now i CANT WAIT for her friends Hollie and Joshua!!! And jessica’s interview will definitely be interesting too. can’t wait! Oh, if only the people i mentioned were top 4 :)

Comment by sg54 – June 1, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed the interview.

Comment by marygrace – June 1, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar was epic. She deserves that bouquet. Best country person that’s ever been on the show for me.

Comment by Bazzle (@BazzleFjsm) – June 1, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree (except for Carrie.) I think the main reason Skylar didn’t go further was “country burn-out,” since last season’s country music sweep of the top two. It was probably better for AI that she didn’t win (don’t want to known as a country star only show) but Skylar was WAY better than Scotty and whats-her-name from last season. Had she been in the top 10 last year, she would have won the whole thing and been a superstar by now.

Comment by Julia – June 2, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true. So true.

Comment by MamaLis – June 7, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Recording. Artist.
    Skylurrrrve. <3

Comment by Karen – June 1, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just re-watched the first live show with the 12 females and with the added hindsight of watching the whole season you can really tell why the top ladies in the top ten touring finalists got picked over the others. I really could not picture the others holding up to the rest of the schedule and demands. Skylar, Elise, Hollie and Jessica really looked so at ease on the stage. I liked Skylar’s performance even more now that I see it in that context. You knew she could handle the stress. Erika’s wasn’t as smooth but she saved it the next night when she sang for her spot.The others were really caught by the nerves, bad song from very beginning and pressure to perform. That weekly grind would have been rough. Wish her the best!

Comment by Suggestor – June 1, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t agree with you about erikas top 12 girls performance. She was awesome that night. Lot of restraint and great tune in her voice. She was not just picked up by voters

Comment by jey – June 1, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • true! she was just 2nd. that’s why she didn’t have a chance to go through.

Comment by noa – June 2, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprised how much I ended up loving Skylar. She has such a great, infectious stage presence. I hope she does well for herself. I knew she was going to get the flowers, she deserves it! I still wish it had been a Skylar-Joshua finale.

Comment by Amy – June 1, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

*****

I think it’s fairly obvious that Skylar will land on her feet in the country music world.

Comment by My Alter Ego – June 2, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Diamond-Studded Pistol sounds like a hit to me. I’d download that in a heartbeat. Skylar seems to really know what she wants musically and I like that. I hope that never changes.

Comment by em – June 1, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though this girl is ambitious and knows exactly who she is, I don’t think even she knows how talented she is.

Comment by Owen – June 1, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great interview! I <3 Skylar, and I don't even really like country music. She's just so spunky and talented ^_^

Comment by Princess Adora – June 1, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this firecracker of a gal! Skylar is going to be a huge success — can’t wait for her first album. Thank you Michael for this charming interview.

Comment by paisley – June 1, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love how smart and well-spoken she is.

Comment by Kitty – June 1, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love your interviews, Slezak. Hate the interview room, tho!!

Comment by karenb – June 1, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, I’ve been waiting for this!! Skylar, you rock! I loved that Michael introduced her as the winner of season 11, she is as far as I am concerned.
    ~
    I have this crazy idea that I’d love to see Skylar and Allison Iraheta rock out together. I think that would be awesome.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – June 1, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not crazy. That is a FANTASTIC idea. I’m putting it at #2 on my dream duets list.

(#1 is a Elise/Haley duet. Shocker.)

Comment by Kitty – June 1, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar, you’re awesome!

Comment by bjp – June 1, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is she interested in acting at all?

Comment by Mark – June 1, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i KNEW she stole carly’s version of show must go on. I KNEW IT!!!!!!

Comment by Cavaknights (@Cavaknights) – June 1, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh please. Carly knew what the song was about and showed it some respect. Skylar did not.

Comment by jen – June 2, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar’s fun. But no Michael, she should not have won.

Comment by Pat – June 1, 2012 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • An acquired taste that I and many more, judging by the relatively few comments, never tasted, she over-achieved to get 5th in my view.

Comment by ejones – June 2, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Skylar should of have won and I am not a country fan. She has the potential to be a a country superstar.

Comment by Mick – June 2, 2012 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the interview and Skylar … would definitely buy DSP – sounds like a hit to me, and I’m not country. She is so cute and poised and talented!

Comment by JAO – June 2, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Skylar. And I love how she says ‘song’.

Comment by Jon – June 2, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEY! Finally been waiting with such anticipation for this! Great interview Slezak! Thanks! Cant wait to see Skylar develop into a huge country star.

Comment by rd1991 – June 2, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was not my favorite but I do believe she will be a success. She is very talented and I just don’t know why I can’t warm up to her, she was actually my least favorite girl.

Comment by Mary B – June 2, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! This interview snuck in; what a nice surprise! This little girl is going to go a long way. She has a good sense of who she is, what she wants to do, and where she is going. Very talented.

Comment by Yo' – June 2, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice! You know, I had my very favorite, right from the start (EVP), and it was a disappointment when she left, and I wasn’t totally commited to anyone after that (although, I certainly had opinions on the remaining contestants) but…they are all SUCH nice kids during these interviews and I’m really glad that all of them had this monumental opportunity.
    Great interviews, Michael!

Comment by Gina – June 2, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite contestant of the season. I looooooove her accent. She is so country. Love it! Skylar is going to be a huge star.

Comment by J – June 2, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar should have won! She is the only contestant who’s music I have any interest in buying! Sadly, a girl can’t win AI for which I blame other girls! C’mon ladies, when are we going to start sticking up for each other instead of thinking about the guys?

Comment by Casey – June 3, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would’ve much preferred her as a country Idol to Scotty and Ms Boring. But while she did have some fantastic performances (Stay with me, didn’t you know how much I loved you) I find it weird that Slezak finds her the best.

Don’t get me wrong, I unlike most, think that she was the best of the top 5 (sorry Joshua fans, but constant oversinging is annoying and It’s a mans mans mans world was unbearable to me). I think that Elise, EVP, or even Colton could’ve earned the flowers with more time on the show. But I love skylar and her spunk and smarts. I’ll buy her album.

Comment by Idol watcher – June 4, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree about everything but Colton :)

Comment by noa – June 4, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are right on with the Madrell sisters comment! We used to watch that show faithfully! Great trip on memory lane for me, thanks!

Comment by DawnieD – June 4, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Skylar’s energy and I think she will do well. But I’ll be honest–the gun thing turns me off big time. Very nice interview, though. Can’t wait for Joshua and Jessica.

Comment by Davey – June 4, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for this one and it didn’t disappoint. I would’ve given her flowers too! Can’t wait to follow her career.

Comment by blingedup – June 4, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that skylar has won me over. Her stage presense is something special, something I have never really seen on idol, ever.

Comment by P3A – June 5, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! That would be great if she could be AI’s Miranda Lambert. (Didn’t she come from a singing show herself?) And I TOTALLY agree she kicks talent-booty over the female crooner from last season. Who was lovely but…… Skylar’s way stronger!!!

Comment by MamaLis – June 7, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post