Ratings: Hatfields & McCoys Finale Smashes Own Record, Stanley Cup Game 1 Slips Hard

The Hatfields & McCoys feud ended with a massive bang on Wednesday night.

The conclusion of the History miniseries surpassed the record it set on Night 1 by drawing 14.3 million total viewers, thus making it the most-watched entertainment telecast in ad-supported cable history.

Across all three nights, Hatfields & McCoys averaged 13.8 million total viewers, with 4.9 mil falling into the coveted 18-49 demo. What’s more, the finale’s 6.3 million viewers in the 25-54 range marks a 14-year high for ad-supported cable.

UPDATE: Late adopters can catch all six hours of Hatfields this Saturday starting at 6/5c.

RELATED | Hot for Summer: Our Calendar of More Than 100 Premiere and Finale Dates!

Over on the broadcast networks on Wednesday, a CSI repeat eked out the total audience win with 7.03 million viewers, while So You Think You Can Dance (6.97 mil/2.6) rose 11 and 8 percent from its season opener and scored the night’s best demo.

CBS’ Dogs in the City debut (6.7 mil/1.3) bested SYTYCD in head-to-head competition during the 8 o’clock hour.

Meanwhile, NBC’s coverage of the Stanley Cup finals Game 1 averaged 2.7 mil and a 1.0, down 40 percent versus the championship’s 2011 opener.

1. Jason says:

Wow… I mean, seriously wow.

2. Never saw this coming. Wow.

Also, YAY for SYTYCD ratings going up.

3. Grace says:

I think History was smart to wait until after most of the regular season had ended to air this. And it’s still before most summer series start. Good timing.

4. Elyse says:

the History channel should look into doing a regular series. that would be sweeeet!

5. dee says:

Yay for Hatfields & McCoys. I thought it was a great three nights of television. Do more, History Channel, do more!

• sm says:

I thought the series was excellent with so many A listers in the cast. It was well done but very graphic for TV. I just wonder how factual it was. The History channel needs to do more of this kind of TV entertainment of which it will bring a big following. IMO only, there just isn’t much to watch on a daily basis. I’m not a reality TV fan-a big part of TV nowadays. As for the main television networks I don’t watch but one show. The rest of the time is netflicks if viewing TV. Right now summer is a busy time so watching TV is just for catching a breathe . NBA playoffs are a must since my team is playing. Happy viewing.

• sm says:

Just to add, that I would have missed it if it wasn’t for friends mentioning that it was on. My own fault though, I don’t watch TV much so I miss any advertisements. I’m glad I tuned in to a great mini series which reminded me of The South and Roots-mini series. Stellar.

6. hr says:

Must be Middle America….no interest…& didnt even know ut was on

• Danyelle says:

“…he said with great pride.” Not.

• JT says:

Why would you assume that. The story of the Hatfields and the McCoys is well known and would interesting to any history buff.

• David says:

I didn’t know that interest in great stories and fascinating stories was a Middle America thing. That would explain the malaise that Broadway theatre has been explaining lately.

7. Carina says:

I’m really enjoying this series love it!!!

8. kam says:

I’m a 19yr old girl. I LOVED this mini series. Kevin Costner is wonderful.

9. Peggy says:

As much as I enjoyed the first two episodes of Hatfields and MCoys, I had to record last night so I could watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Sorry to hear the game didn’t do better because it was great! I was surprised to find it on NBC though instead of their cable sports channel.

10. Maggie says:

kudos to History Channel for premiering this at exactly the right time. i thoroughly enjoyed it!!

11. Vicky says:

It was one the best miniseries that I have ever seen!!!

12. jesse says:

Nicely done, History Channel! It was a solid 6+ hours of entertainment. Superb script.

13. sparky says:

Have the 3 episodes on the DVR so that I can sit and watch it uninterupted at the weekend.

14. Rolfe says:

Deleted it off my DVR 20 minutes in. Not for me, but kudos to HISTORY.

• steve says:

These are always the most ridiculous comments I read. You cant make a judgement on 6 hours based on 20 minutest. For a story that spaned 40 yrs it was very well done. The time jumps took some getting used to, and I actually think this would have made a great 13 episode series. The history of this fued is fascinating. You think they embellished the story for TV and then you read about it and its all true (with the exception of devil anse deserting I think…can’t find any reference to that). The entire fued could have been avoided if those 2 just talked out their differences in a long sit down…lol. the story could easily have supported an FX style series run.

15. Pat says:

Not 100% sure, but didn’t “High School Musical 2″ get like 18 million viewers in 2008?

16. Christina says:

The History Channel now needs to pick a few more historical events to make into mini-series. They did a great job with The Hatfields and McCoys.

17. JT says:

You know, I’m sure no one in the industry thought this mini-series would do this well. Broadcast networks would be salivating if they got nearly a 5.0 18-49 demo on anything. On top of that History got to advertise their shows in hopes that it would bring more viewers. It could work.

18. JohnDoe says:

This should give pause to the rest of Hollywood, that maybe there is an interest in Westerns still, at least when they’re done correctly.

• steve says:

They already have. Some pilots that were passed on are now getting second looks, and their are already a few coming out. The genre goes through this every 10 to 20 years. When UNFORGIVEN came out they were all the rage…and we got Tombstone, Wyatt Earp and The quick and the Dead. It fizzeled quickly.

Last great western movie I saw was the Russell Crowe version of “310 to Yuma”

19. Peter says:

wow. only 2.1 mil people saw game one of Stanley Cup Finals? that’s low.

20. Sue says:

Great mini series I loved it!!
    Still think it make a great series seeing how the feud lasted over the period of years until the peace treaty in 2003

21. kjrhead says:

Does anyone know where it was actually filmed?