Private Practice Shake-Up: Tim Daly Out!

Get More: News

Tim Daly is checking out of Private Practice.

The actor announced late Tuesday that series creator Shonda Rhimes opted not to pick up his contract option for the ABC medical soap’s upcoming sixth (and likely final) season.

In a somewhat terse statement posted on Twitter, Daly said, “Wonderful fans of PPP. Shonda informed my agent today that Pete won’t be returning for season 6. It was a great 5 yrs. R.I.P. Pete Wilder.”

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Coincidentally, just hours earlier TVLine floated the possibility of Private Practice bidding farewell to Daly’s Pete, who was jailed in the season finale for compassionately ending the life of a patient kept alive by machines.

Daly was likely the victim of cost cutting. As you’ll recall, PPP‘s renewal came down to the wire earlier this month as both sides haggled over budget-related issues.

Thoughts? Was Daly the most expendable member of the Private Practice cast? Sound off in the comments?

Comments (258)

• Lousy way to find out, but IMO good for Tim Daly! I can imagine him being angry about finding out and being sacked, but I think it’s better for his career to leave this soap. I was surprised to see it got picked up for another season, actually. I stopped watching a long time ago, around the time everyone started sleeping with everyone. I hope Tim will find a great acting job elsewhere. He deserves a great role on a good show. Good luck Tim!

Comment by Caro – May 30, 2012 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I gave up in the second season for the same reasons…

Comment by Lisa London – May 30, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is that a lousy way to find out? Should Shonda have baked him cookies and given him a hug? Sounds like show business.

Comment by rough troll – May 30, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rough troll (fitting name), somewhere between cookies and avoidant behavior is professionalism. Pretty obvious, unless you have no clue about what is professional and what is not.

Comment by brin_3532 – May 30, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Please! People in the REAL WORLD get fired EVERYDAY without warning. No boo hoo’s here. He’ll find another job, it’s life, get over it.

Comment by Blue Collar – July 24, 2012 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes that would be more humane

Comment by pat – June 13, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PP Is a great show!

Comment by emilia – May 30, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Great? I beg to differ.

Comment by Tania – May 30, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i know right..great is totally the wrong word, it’s more like …amazing!

Comment by syd – May 30, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree it’s better than grey’s or scandal

Comment by pat – June 13, 2012 08:50 AM PDT
    • Why did they not get rid of Amelia!!!! Hate HER!!!! She’e gets on my last nerve!!! I mean really drug addicted doctor!!! Loser!!! Wished she’d OD!!!

Comment by Jayne Yun – May 30, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes amelia should be the one to go, she doesn’t even have a storyline, not interesting at all

Comment by pat – June 13, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree cant stand her character or the chick who plays her

Comment by TA – July 27, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree – should have kept Pete & sacked Amelia.

Comment by Lane – September 25, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Loser? It’s a show! Who cares if she plays a doc getting sober. Doctors are human too and make mistakes. Talk about judgemental….and its not even real! Obviously you don’t know what it’s like to be an addict. It’s a self loathing living hell. It’s horrible.

Comment by Amber – October 2, 2012 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tim Daly is probably a lot more expensive (though worth it) than the woman who plays Amelia.

Comment by Kim – June 24, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • biggest thing with pp and what has hurt greys was they lost the balance of comedy and drama. its just become such a downer. kate walsh in the with the poison ivy was one of the best moments. now its all as bad as an episode of “passions”

Comment by Andrew – May 31, 2012 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely will not be watching any longer. I’m a big fan of Tim Daly. He is one of the more interesting characters on the show. Hey Tim — I am sure better opportunities in the works.

Comment by Donna Betts – June 18, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh well, the last straw why I won’t be watching any longer! The writers screwed up his character a long time ago. I’ve just been hanging in hoping the best for Pete. A lot of great series won’t be returning next year. Think it’s time to take up video games or knitting. At least that will be more exciting. Wishing you the best Tim. Hope to see you soon!

Comment by Q – July 21, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Check out The Daly Show on you tube. A role worthy of him- a ridiculous mockery of himself as only he could deliver. Its the best show that’s not on TV.

Comment by Kristen Lowman (@sesaluna) – July 30, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am still watching Wings, what does that say for Private practice. I love PP. I have no respect for PP now. Goodbye PP.

Comment by nan rau – September 26, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You still watch wings so do i i lust after Tim Daily and Steven Webber their so hot! i never watched pp but i would if he was on it!

Comment by wendy (@seeingred75) – December 10, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im sorry Tim was cut from his role as pete Wilder but private practice is still a great show and has a lot of wonderful talent actors and actress as well! I think private practice can continue on for another year! Im a faithful fan to the show! ROCK ON PRIVATE PRACTICE!

Comment by Rkeba33 – October 12, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I remember when I first seen Tim Daly in a Western called ” The Outsider”. He was really good in that movie. From there I followed him to see where he was at then. And then that was when I noticed he was on PP. I started watching it. Was sorry to see him go. Hopefully he will land another good show.

Comment by Ann – November 18, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow, I also first saw him in “The Outsider”. It was first rate! He’s right up there with Harrison Ford, Hugh Jackman, and Tom Hardy. Wonder why he was never promoted? I have followed him ever since. He can do better than PP. I hope he moves on to a really good movie contract. He deserves one.

Comment by Carol – December 14, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda should have gotten rid of Taye Diggs. Sam is the crappiest character ever.

Comment by Albert – May 30, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But at least he’s pretty and is played by Taye Diggs.

Comment by Lauren – May 30, 2012 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • unfortunately that is in no way an improvement on the character. imo not Sam and Pete we’re so ready to get written of, but Sam is even more annoying than Pete, would’ve preferred seeing him go…

Comment by Lumen – May 30, 2012 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed!

Comment by R – May 30, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • word! sam should on scandal or something

but then again the guy has bad luck series he’s in.

Comment by shades – May 30, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed…not a fan of Sam! I would have sent him packing sted of Pete, but honestly I wouldn’t miss either one much.

Comment by RP – June 4, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tim Daly is prettier and is a much better actor playing a much better character.

Comment by Spikenalabama – May 30, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve loved Tim Daly for years and he was one of the reasons I liked PP.

Comment by Beany53 – May 30, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No way in HELL is Tim Daly prettier than Taye Diggs! Yes, Sam is definitely annoying at times but, that’s a writing problem. Diggs is a good actor.

Comment by Jacki – October 9, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more. I am so so so tired of Sam. I love Taye Diggs but Sam is a terrible character and I want him to just go away and never come back.

Comment by Sara – May 30, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So glad someone else feels this way. I can’t stand Sam. Love Taye, cannot stand Sam!

Comment by Kate – May 30, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, finally somebody agrees with me!!!!

Comment by o – May 30, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they drop Violet too. I have never liked Violet, she always makes everything about herself. What a terrible therapist. I would be ok if Sam left too. As long as Charlotte and Amelia stay I’ll be happy.

Comment by Ava – May 30, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • amen

Comment by Liz – May 30, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ditto that. I was so wishing that both Pete and Violet would just leave to get a fresh start somewhere else. They’re both exceptionally grating characters portrayed by actors that deserve better

Comment by JJ – May 31, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Violet is the best character IMO! All of them should be there, Audra too. If there is low budget each of the could have less presence. But sacking the actors is NOT NICE

Comment by emilia – May 30, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES! Violet is such an annoying and self-righteous character. Totally not modeled on any therapist I can imagine – she should have had been booted after she lost her license; the show would have been better off with THAT brush with reality.

Comment by Gail – June 2, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sam’s an idiot. And Addison is an idiot for even thinking about being with him – for SO many reasons

Comment by Karen B. – May 30, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As with any show, we want the original cast to stay! I usually stop watching when a main character is written off because I am always looking for that person. I also think that it is different when you know the actor wants to stay as opposed to them not. I will be forever thinking in my mind “they didn’t want to pay him”. I like PP, but may decided it is one to go for some new show. I can’t keep adding new ones without getting rid of some old!

Comment by Debbie – May 30, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, why? They should get rid of Violet.

Comment by Sam – May 30, 2012 03:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I would rather see Amy Brennamin go than Tim Daly. I find Violet to be a totally annoying character.

Comment by Debbie M. – May 30, 2012 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree! I adore Amy and Violet messed updeness! <3

Comment by Barbie – May 30, 2012 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I’d much rather get rid of the character of Violet than Pete. Or write them both off into the sunset together.

Comment by Pangolin – May 30, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The character represents therapists horribly! she has NO boundaries!!!

Comment by Bonzo – May 30, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • WTF Pete is a fave of mine. Violet is a pain in the arse. Eff you Shondra.

Comment by lorna – May 31, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Holy cow YES! A more annoying character on television I have never seen. Jeez. I’ve hated her from day one and have never been very empathetic or sympathetic toward her. Amy Breneman is a fine actress and loved her in Judging Amy but as Violet Turner? I’ve just hoped she’d fall down an elevator shaft more often than not. Pete was turning into Violet – maybe that was by design. But I love Tim Daly more…

Comment by Julie – May 30, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree completely about the character of Violet. I would rather her go instead of Pete. But if Pete must go….please let him take Violet with him!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – May 30, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cannot imagine why an actress of Amy Breneman’s caliber would continue to play such a limited character–I mean, I realize it is a job, but her talent is diminished by the shallowness of Violet. I stopped watching PP regularly some time ago–Love the Charlotte character, love Tim Daly. Tired of Sam (though I like TD) and perhaps it is blasphemy, but I am sick of Addison!!

Comment by Liz – May 30, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • shallowness of Violet? Are you crazy or what? You say you stopped watching but then you comment on all characters… a bit of a contradiction :S

Comment by emilia – May 30, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Note that Liz wrote REGULARLY!!! And I have to agree Violet is a pain in the neck but compared to Kepner on Grey’s…okey… nope, they are just as annoying

Comment by Sleepy – May 30, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
        • I agree, Liz. I do like the Cooper character, too, would like to see him a little more strong. Was a shock to see him go from the Prison role to this one. I do like Amy, they need to revamp her role. AND I SO AGREE ON ADDISON!!!
          Shirl

Comment by Shirley Long – December 5, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you! Violet is and has been a very annoying character…..and on a show with so many “pretty” people she sticks out like a sore thumb, I don’t find her a very attractive person. Since it has been announced that Tim Daly’s contract is not being renewed….how about sending Violet’s selfish character off in to the sunset to pursue whatever it is she was leaving her family for…..AGAIN!!

Comment by deanie43 – May 30, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now he can start a wings sequel!!! SWEET!!

Comment by Tony – May 30, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what a schocker!?
    Interested how will they play it! I loved hi character all up 3×22 war! Than he got mad!
    But that opens so many options for Vi! Intersted where Shonda sees this going!
    All the best to Tim Daly, hope he get a new show soon!

Comment by Stay – May 30, 2012 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe Shonda knows this one is headed for the toilet. Drink up the last 13 episodes, people. I believe LA has run out of people for Addison to sleep with.

Comment by Gail – June 2, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Addison only has Cooper & Sheldon left! She’s slept with her husband’s best friend and her best friend’s husband. She slept with her colleague’s husband and the husband of one of her patients. And maybe a dozen more guys! Yet she thought that Amelia donating her brainless baby’s organs was immoral!! Talk about unlikable!

Comment by dlrose51 – June 2, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • she never thought it was immoral

Comment by Cristina – April 11, 2014 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should go to Scandal, they could use a hotty like him over there.

Comment by tvadict – May 30, 2012 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have gotten rid of Sam instead. He adds nothing to the show anymore. Pete at last still had his story with Violet and his son. And what a lousy way to go about it. At least talk to the actor directly instead of chickening about by going to his agent first.

Comment by Hanna – May 30, 2012 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, especially with Shonda not telling Tim herself. She’s really starting to annoy me.

Comment by Alex – May 30, 2012 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s show business, not show babysitting.

Comment by ger – May 30, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes but if you have worked with someone for 5 years now and they have been a big part of the shows success I think it is important to let them know personally! Shonda with this action showed no integrity and no respect toward the people with whom she works!

Comment by Vala – May 30, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed. She seems like her ego got too big.

Comment by lorna – May 31, 2012 04:58 PM PDT
        • Somewhere between show business and babysitting is professionalism. Your comment sounds really extreme and naive.

Comment by brin_3532 – May 30, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Pete and Violet were just repairing their relationship after his heart attack and not wanting to be married. Sam on the otherhand proposing to Addie because she likes someone else. Never supported her having a child so now he is okay with it. I hope she says no and goes with Jake who was there for her all along. Hope they do not kill off Pete because he did not want to leave, his option just was not picked up because of cost cutting.

Comment by Donna – May 30, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the Ask Ausiello??

Comment by Mcat – May 30, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you follow him on twitter he said there wasn’t one this week.

Comment by lauren – May 30, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you for telling those of us who don’t have Twitter. I was wondering where “AA” was, as well.

Comment by Gwen – May 30, 2012 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He also announced no AA this week on Facebook if you like his page.

Comment by GB – May 30, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We shouldn’t have to follow him everywhere to find out what’s happening on THIS page. Social media is getting ridiculous.

Comment by tp – May 31, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Violet is the most selfish and useless character, and the least useful in the practice. She and Sheldon are both shrinks – he is interesting, she is not. If they’re going to get rid of Tim Dalt to save money, get rid of Amy Brenneman and her whiny Violet too. I enjoyed Tim Daly. Shonda, you goofed this season. Chyler and Tim – you should have kept them both and gotten rid of the least talented. Saving money isn’t going to save viewers.

Comment by Paris libra – May 30, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry….misspelled Tim Daly’s name above. The funny thing is that when PP first started, it looked like Pete and Addison were going to hook up. There’s a lot of richness in Pete’s character and Tim Daly is a good looking man. Violet has run her course – she ran out on her kid, then she ran out on her husband and kid. Her insanity is not interesting one bit. Seriously, since Shonda fired Tim, she should fire Amy Brenneman. I love the Charlotte/Cooper relationship, that’s been the biggest surprise of the show for me…KaDee is brilliant.

Comment by Paris – May 30, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…not trying to do the blame game. But Benjamin bratt is the one who should be cut out. Tim/Pete has been around from the start. At least let him be in the 100 ep. Benjamin Bratt’s character is lousy and pretentious. I don’t understand why he’s even there at all. And I heard shonda hired him to somewhat help PP’s rating, but ever since he’s on this season the rating has gone downhill. The writers are squeezing a ball into a tiny square box with his character. To be completely honest I can’t even remember his character’s name…anyway, Tim’s been a part of the show for so long it’s kinda disrespectful for Shonda to cut him just like that. But hey! Its her show….so whatever….

Comment by Nicole – May 30, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Puh-lease. Ratings started going downhill when they put the contrived Mason SL as the A-stories.

Comment by P. – May 30, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s neither lousy nor pretentious, so you must dislike him for other reasons.

Comment by Hugo – May 30, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally disagree; love BB’s character and his sl as well. Sooo hoping Addison picks him.

Comment by Kate – May 30, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a bit silly. Feel free to dislike Bratt’s character, but you certainly can’t blame him (or one person in general) for the ratings situation. The quality of the show’s writing kept getting worse and worse since late season 3. That’s what kept turning people off the show. I was quite often close to dropping it off my TV schedule as well – especially during season 4.

Comment by Hanna – May 30, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a BIG mistake IMO. Tim Daly is integral to the show. Shonda dragged his character Pete through the mud this season and for what if she was just going to axe him??
    This makes me question if PP going to be worth watching next season?! I don’t think she has given his character the ending he deserved.

Comment by amanda – May 30, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…not trying to do the blame game. But Benjamin bratt is the one who should be cut out. Tim/Pete has been around from the start. At least let him be in the 100 ep. Benjamin Bratt’s character is lousy and pretentious. I don’t understand why he’s even there at all. And I heard shonda hired him to somewhat help PP’s rating, but ever since he’s on this season the rating has gone downhill. The writers are squeezing a ball into a tiny box with his character. To be completely honest I can’t even remember his character’s name…anywho… Tim’s been a part of the show for so long it’s kinda disrespectful for Shonda to cut him just like that. But hey! Its her show….so whatever….

Comment by Nicole – May 30, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they keep Kadee Strickland and Caterina Scorsone, I’m good. They’ve stolen the show the last couple of season — there’s no match for Amelia and Charlotte! They’re amazing characters and amazing actors.

Honestly, Pete’s become sort of a tool. I won’t miss him! But, classic Shonda to fire an actor through an agent. Feel really bad for Tim Daly. I hate her every day a little more. She seems to me like she feels she’s invincible and unbeatable. So arrogant! I wish she’d get some sort of reality check.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 30, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! I just posted the same above. Charlotte and Amelia are my favorite characters. Amelia is especially good. Pete, Violet, Sam are all expendable at this point. They should get rid of those 3 that would save them a ton of money.

Comment by Ava – May 30, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I REALLY like Violet. I think she’s complex, and I’ve quite fallen for her character in the past few years. And I adore Amy Brenneman. I’d really miss her. But Sam and Pete could go at no expense for me. PP is actually the one show I don’t like any of the mennearly as much as I love the women. Maybe because I don’t find them deasly attractive.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 30, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna miss him and was pleased they reunited… but a crappy ending. South America or jail? Pffft. Not happy here. Love the show a ton. Charlotte need recognition from the voters. Her work beats almost all other in the support drama actress category!

Comment by Brock – May 30, 2012 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I hadn’t already stopped watching Private Practice last season i would have stopped watching now.

Comment by Elyse – May 30, 2012 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. I gave up last year and will quit watching Grey’s Anaromy this fall. I’m really pissed at Shanda Rhimes and won’t watch anything she’s evolved in from now on.

Comment by Lilys87 – May 30, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree totally! The only reason I ever watched Private Practice was for Tim Daly, but the show was sufficiently horrible that even Tim’s presence couldn’t keep me watching. He deserves better roles to play.

Comment by Ellen in NYC – May 30, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I too watched it for Tim Daly and for Amy Brenneman. I hate what they did with both their characters. Violet’s ridiculous running away from her husband & child, then Pete’s refusal to let her back into their lives until the lawsuit, her not wanting him for no apparent or believable reason, him not wanting her for no apparent reason, then them wanting each other but only when the other doesn’t, again for no apparent believable reason!

But even with that I liked them more than Addison, when sleeps with everyone, including her best friend’s husband and is SO incredibly egocentric! She wanted a baby so badly, wanted to be a mother so badly, but did she take Dell’s poor abandoned daughter? No! She is the least likable character.

I found Addison so obnoxious that I only ever watched it for Tim & Amy. Now with Tim gone, so am I!

Comment by dlrose51 – June 2, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Shonda has done it again. Alienated more fans. Its so ridiculous honestly, that she just decides to do away with good actors/ characters. I get that the budget was a huge factor but was there no way to make the budget work with Tim Daly? Since this will be the last season, give everyone less money? Its going to be syndicated in season 6 so abc will always make money from it.
    The show will crash and burn now cuz violet will be a millions times more annoying and make a lot of Violet hating people angry.

Comment by shuayb – May 30, 2012 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would work for less money but for the same amount of hours? The only actors who do that are soap stars like Susan Lucci who have EXTREME loyalty to a show and don’t need the money. ABC stands to make money from syndication not the actors.

Comment by Mick – May 31, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea what the budget is, but surely Tim Daly’s wouldn’t be the highest paycheck. I’m not saying get rid of anyone, but I’m guessing Kate Walsh, Benjamin Bratt, Taye Diggs AND Amy Brenneman would have high checks compared to Tim Daly, KaDee Strickland, Caterina Scorsone, Paul Adeilstein and Brian Benben. I mean, if anything, they should have just cut down Mason Gluck to recurring role. Making Cooper’s son a main character was stupid to begin with. I get the integrity of his character for Cooper and Charlotte’s character development, but it’s not worth it. I don’t like Pete, but there could have been SO much done for his character in regards to Violet and Lucas and his ‘murder’ storyline. I like Sheldon, but there is nothing there with his character. Cuts could have been made else where and not to an ORIGINAL character. Also, in regards to Shonda Rhimes, nice to know how MUCH respect you have for your cast. I love your shows, but I hope that once they’re open, she is blacklisted. She’s actually a TERRIBLE woman if you ask me.

Comment by Jarrod – May 30, 2012 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *over – not open.

Comment by Jarrod – May 30, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like his character, but they never seemed to know what to do with him, so I think cutting Sheldon would have made sense. I don’t think the kid playing Mason makes a huge difference when it comes to the budget.

Comment by Hanna – May 30, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her shows are going downhill anyway. Not a big fan of of Shonda Rhimes any longer. Stopped a couple of years ago. She is the typical case of ego getting the best of her with success. As for getting rid of Sam instead of Pete. Never would have happened. She likes ti keep the most annoying characters on!!

Comment by Donna-Marie – May 30, 2012 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon Shonda, you need to learn to be “a little less douche.”. And who else could have taught you that then Daly. Oh well, at least he has more time for The Daly Show, which is 100 times better then PP.

Comment by Carrie – May 30, 2012 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nah, he wasn’t sacked because they were cost cutting. He got sacked since Shonda ruined Pete’s storyline that Rhimes had no way of redeeming it.

Comment by Pete – May 30, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My least favorite characters on the show are Violet and Sam. I wish SR had gotten rid of one of them.

Comment by ADC – May 30, 2012 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck is the 3rd P for?

Comment by Jamie0415 – May 30, 2012 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve always wondered this myself.

Comment by Jarrod – May 30, 2012 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We are the PPP. That’s how they refer to us in their tweets–Kate Walsh’s tweets mostly. The 3rd P is for peeps. I think it’s a typo after some change of thought while writing.

Comment by Iching – May 30, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PPP = Private Practice Program.

Comment by Alex – May 30, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Private Practice program, for somewhat obvious reasons when read aloud ;)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 30, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you both for this. I’ve seriously been wondering this for YEARS!

Comment by Calla Lilly – May 30, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they didn’t want Pee Pee as an acronym

Comment by Chris Fry – May 30, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • seriously? Shonda has a way of getting rid of good actors. should expect it of her. he will go on to do better. this show has gotten lame anyhow. and Scandal is horrible, hope it goes away too.

Comment by s – May 30, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Classy for Shonda not to give him a call. You always hear she’s a biatch and that employees are afraid of her. Very sad.

Comment by Hellno – May 30, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Tim Daly and hate this for him but I can’t say I will miss Pete very much. I loved Pete when the show started but his relationship with Violet (whom I loathe and I would be glad to see her leave) has ruined him.for me. But I am still sad about this news. I was hoping they would bust him and Violet up for good and make him likable again.

Comment by Aimee – May 30, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Pete was annoying in the scenes with Violet but I liked him with everyone else. I think we can all see that Violet is the problem.

Comment by Alex – May 30, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say 2nd heart attack from behind bars.

Comment by ash – May 30, 2012 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just ruined my whole day. Tim Daly was the main reason I even started watching this show.

Comment by Mary – May 30, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never got around to watching it but always planned to check it out — because of Tim Daly. I can’t imagine what it has to offer now that he is gone.

Comment by MaryAnn – May 30, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this is the last season I don’t understand why she is cutting original characters. I love violet and pete but agree that shonda has written them into the ground this season. I had hoped she would rise to the challenge and write them a cracking season 6. I can’t believe she’s just writing him out altogether – all of that messiness was now totally in vain. It’s also a real shame because the cast all seem to get along so well behind the scenes too. Amy will be gutted for sure.

Comment by amanda – May 30, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PPP Private Practive Peeps. Termed by Amy Brennerman and Kate Walsh for their Twitter followers and copied by everyone else.

Comment by l k – May 30, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why fire Tim Daly? His character has been there since the beginning, Pete shared good stories with almost all characters! He couldn’t have cost more than Benjamin Bratt! Shonda should have fired Bratt! He probably costs more and he failed to bring the numbers up, as Shonda said he would. On the contrary, numbers only got worse and his character doesn’t even have a point of existing in the show if he wasn’t used as Addison’t rebound affair. His character is boring as hell, too pretentious and annoying. Only on the last episodes he had some interaction with Amelia and that was all. Unless he gets another story and another “love” interest, he will fail even more. Its clear that Addison doesn’t love Jake and even if they got together it wouldn’t work, so…. Benjamin Bratt should have been the one fired, not Tim Daly. Daly contributed to the show much much more.

Also, what a “classy” way of Shonda to tell Tim Daly he was fired… :S Pick up the phone and call the man, bitch, have the decency to tell him your self, the man was on the show for 5 seasons and if his character wasn’t that popular the final two seasons, it’s only cause you wrote him that way!

Comment by Carmen – May 30, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. I can’t stand Pete.

Comment by Melissa – May 30, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh well, Shonda has become too full of herself. She wants to hog the limelight more than the attention her shows and stars get. I still have never forgiven her what she did to T.R. Knight.

Comment by Sowsyalite (@Sowsyalite) – May 30, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, you mean throwing him under a bus by literally THROWING GEORGE UNDER A BUS? It’s when I quit watching Greys seriously too. Shonda has no class. I tried watching the first season of PP but it’s not for me. It’s just Greys but with even whinier and more entitled characters (a seemingly impossible task, but somehow she does it).

Comment by Lime – May 30, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda should have killed off Violet or Sam and not Pete. I love when Pete was with Addison. Now I’m okay with Addison and Jake. If Addison accepted Sam’s proposal next season, I’m done with the show for good.

Comment by aiza11 – May 30, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is where I am, it has always been clear that Pete is an angry man who ends up hating is wives, but this season they took it too far. Pete was a great character with Addison. They destroyed all his progress and made him an unlikable character only to bounce him without enough retribution. I’d be more ok with Taye Diggs going. I have NEVER been ok with the Addison/Sam relationship and after Naomi and the kids exited, that has been the only reason to keep him around. No to the proposal!

Comment by Deion – May 30, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda is annoying. She ruins every show I watch of hers. Will be expecting some moronic decision about Scandal in a few seasons now.

Comment by Megan – May 30, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the last season….if they want to cut costs they should dump Amelia and Sheldon…I like them both but come on, keep the original cast intact for the final season, they are the ones long time viewers are most invested in!

Comment by Lindsey – May 30, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree, she absolutely should have kept the original cast intact.

Comment by amanda – May 30, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE

Comment by Lauren – May 30, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Typical Shonda. A Lousy boss and writer. Tim D deserves better material anyway. Good luck to him away from the train wreck, favoritism,bigotry and crap that is shondaland.

Comment by Patti – May 30, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure Shonda has a plan to shake things up. I’ll miss Tim Daly, but he’ll be on a new show very quickly. Very curious to see what happens next.
    Little surprised by the Benjamin Bratt haters on here. He’s a good change and like him w/ Kate Walsh character. Feels like they can finally get something started and deal with normal couple/college stuff.

Comment by Leola – May 30, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Bratt hate is ridiculous. I get Daly fans are angry and I’m very disappointed too, but asking for someone else to be fired won’t help anyone. I like Benjamin Bratt’s character just fine and I woulld have been just as angry if they’d fired him instead. Ideally they shouldn’t have to fire anyone. They could have brought 2-3 characters back on a recurring basis. That way they could have wrapped up everyone’s stories.

Comment by Hanna – May 30, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing Shonda is shaking is the money tree for the lame network and corporate BS she works for. This is not a creative move, how naive can you be? If Pete had to go, a brighter idea would have been at least one more episode, and lose Violet & Pete, 2 salaries and some closure for fans. Violet is pointless without Pete. He’s the only thing that made her bearable. Tim Daly is clearly the best actor, the only real star in the cast of mediocrity. I hope he got a nice payday and I’m excited to see what he does next.

Comment by brin_3532 – May 30, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW – surprised to see so many wanting to keep him, considering what horrid character Pete has become. I’ve grown so tired of watching him this last season (considering he’s having the same conversations since season 3 with no character growth or another story). The show spent this last season stale and needed to do something to change it up.

Comment by Colleen – May 30, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Should everyone be lame and boring with no variation? Is that the kind if trite show you would prefer? Changing it up is one thing, an abrupt loss of a main character is a reflection of how bad the show and the people behind it must be. How can you be tired of watching someone so hot and the best acting on the show. Maybe what you call horrid is him having boundaries with annoying, disrespectful, crazy Violet. Pete leaving means so does good acting, sex appeal, interesting storylines. Tim Daly is way better than that show.

Comment by brin_3532 – May 30, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too little, too late. If they were going to cut people that lose PP viewers in the demo they should have started with KaDee Strickland. Just because her PR people keep posting the same thing, over and over, in every site pretending that she has fans that doesn’t change the fact that she is the only person on PP that systematically loses the show 1 in 4 viewers at halftime when given the A-story of the episode.

Comment by coord38n27w – May 30, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow ok! Guess I’m her only fan cause I adore her. Her character has actually kept me watching the show. I love her. She is hands down my favorite character on private practice.

Comment by Aimee – May 30, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love KaDee Strickland too! The Char/Coop scenes are my favorite part of the show!

Comment by Becca – May 30, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agrreee! I started watching because of Paul A. , then fell in love with Char/Coop and grown to love Charlotte and KaDee! She is the only reason i watch this show (well her and Paul, i still love him, love him since Prison Break)

Comment by Agnes – May 30, 2012 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I’m not a PR person and I happen to love, LOVE KaDee. She is phenomenal and actually, her rape story actually jump started the ratings. She’s the most authentic and talented actress on the show. And I happen to like Amelia and Addison although I am a bit ambivalent about Violet because of her whining.

Comment by Ana – May 30, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ignorance is bliss. The heavily promoted rape arc lost one in four viewers from the first to the 2nd episode when it was the only arc going on. If she was any good for the ratings would they have canceled after Kate Walsh is gone?

Comment by coord38n27w – October 20, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Charlotte is my favorite and Char/Cooper is the biggest reason i watch anymore…

Comment by Aly – May 30, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you kidding!? Charlotte is my favorite and I’m no PR person.

Comment by Lea – May 30, 2012 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • coord38n27w, you are delusional if you think KaDee Strickland is the most dispensable cast member. Most of the PP cast came in with the “star power,” but KaDee Strickland is the one leaving with it.

Comment by tiffany – May 30, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed; and she deserves better. She should have gotten an Emmy for the rape episodes, and I don’t think she was even nominated.

Comment by Cathy – May 31, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When the rest of the cast signs for a full season, and ABC decides to cancel the show when La Walsh is gone It’s because I was right all along. Booom.

Nobody was considered good enough or able to carry the show.

Comment by coord38n27w – July 1, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • kadee strickland and her rape storyline is what has kept me a fan of this show, she is one amazing actress and shocking, i’m not one of her PR people…..

Comment by sam – May 30, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so desilusional! LMAO! You are repeating this same crap all over again for years! YEARS!! Get a life already, you are boring with it.

Comment by Agnes – May 30, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And proven right. When Walsh only signed for 13 episodes PP gets canceled after the she was still there 13 episodes. If the rest was any good they would have kept on going.

Comment by coord38n27w – July 1, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the way they have been writing Pete incredibly annoying. He leaves violet for no specific reason and now he goes against a patients fathers wishes and let’s a patient die???? It was so self righteous.

Comment by Jake – May 30, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I’m sorry. Sucks the way he found out. Bet is the same reason they got rid of Teddy in GA although it looks like Kim Raver at least knew ahead of time. If its money, I wonder why nor let go of the newer additions like Caterina or Benjamin. But I’m glad anyways. Pete was insufferable. This push/pull with Violet was getting out of control..Now, can we get rid of Sheldon too? If he hooks up with Amelia that will be it for me. I was already tired of the lover-Exchange program they have going on in this show. Sheldon is not right for Amelia.

Comment by Ana – May 30, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I like Tim Daly, I couldn’t get into this mess of a show. He deserves better and kudos to him for telling it like it is.

Comment by Peggy – May 30, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m probably alone in this, but Amelia needs to go.

Comment by Summer – May 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG I hate her character. Totally agree with you.

Comment by Lauren – May 30, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wahhhh! i love him . give Tim Day his own show then. He’s hot!

Comment by kimi2321 – May 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t he home on bail in the finale, or did I miss something? How will they go from him being home to being gone? A “Six months later…” premiere or something like that, I suppose.

Comment by Melissa – May 30, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he’ll die in a plane crash or get hit by a bus… you know, the usual lame ways in which Shonda likes to send off her characters.

Comment by alex – May 30, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the final episode, after he and Violet made love, he said “what if I have to go away {prison} for a long time?” So when the next season starts, he’ll be in the pokey!!

Comment by Joan – May 30, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous. So after 5 years of following his character, and his relationship with Violet, he’s just going to randomly disappear? Will he even show up in the season premier for some closure? Probably not. This kind of sh!t is just disrespectful to fans who have been watching for so long. They could have at least wrapped up his storyline in the season finale instead of haphazardly announcing this between the 5th and 6th seasons. FAIL.

Comment by Lauren – May 30, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree – makes a mockery of the show. Regardless of whether you like or don’t like Pete’s character, surely we agree he can’t just be there one day and gone the next – or thrown in prison and never seen again.

Comment by amanda – May 30, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re lucky this show got a renewal otherwise you would not see any continuation whatsoever!

Comment by sam – May 30, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Great comment.

Comment by brin_3532 – May 30, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Addison back to GA

Comment by Bobby – May 30, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this is the last season of PP.. Addison should back to the Seattle Grace/Mercy Death. McSteamy probably needs a new or old love interest if he survives the plane crash.

I’ll really miss Pete’s character because i love to watch him with Violet. But what happen with her. Divorce mother or a widow??

Comment by Fernanda – May 30, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…WHAT? Tim has been a main character since the beginning and he’s very integral to the show! WTF? If you have to cut somebody get rid of Amelia or Benjamin Bratt’s character. Absolutely ridiculous….we better at least get some closure in the first ep, not just some random line about him being locked away. Then I’m probably done watching regardless of how she writes him off. Having a hard time wanting to watch Grey’s next season too after she killed off Lexie….it was just so unnecessary…

Comment by KB – May 30, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post