Scoop: NBC Launching New Reality Singing Competition, The Winner Is...

NBC has greenlit a reality singing competition where the losers will potentially get more than a tearful exit performance as a consolation prize.

The Winner Is, from the producers of The Voice, will feature contestants of all ages being judged by an in-studio panel (led by a yet-to-be-determined celebrity) and fighting for a $1 million prize. The show’s big twist is that it will focus on head-to-head battles, and before the results are revealed, singers will be able to negotiate deals with their opponents, choosing to exit the show in exchange for a predetermined cash prize or continue on in the game. The amount of money each duel is worth will increase with every round, right up until the finale.

In the finale, eight acts will duel and negotiate. After their performances, each contestant will have the chance to walk away with $100,000 — or they can leave it on the table and await the jury vote and votes from viewers, giving them a shot at the $1 million prize.

According to NBC, The Winner Is will feature soloists and groups that include adults, kids, teens, seniors, families and professionals.

“We are thrilled to be working with John de Mol, the creator and one of the producers of The Voice, on this original singing game show that will feature a broad range of talent, dueling performers and the surprise of in-the-moment negotiations and decisions,” said Paul Telegdy, NBC’s President of Alternative and Late Night Programming, in a release.

1. Tricia says:

WE HAVE ENOUGH SINGERS.

2. Sasha says:

Oh sweet lord not another one….

I’m only tolerating Duets right now because of Kelly Clarkson…

WE DONT NEED ANOTHER SINGING COMPETITION!

:’(

3. Dear NBC, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR #$%^@&$ MIND!!!!!

4. Taylor says:

At least it’s something different. Not entirely sure how that’ll work, but I’m willing to give it a shot.
    Would have rather seen The Sing-Off renewed though :((

5. JTR says:

I’d much rather have the Sing-Off back then this crap. How about we celebrate good music not wanna be reality tv stars, ugh.

• Robin says:

I feel the exact same way…I’d rather watch the Sing – Off! It was truly unique because it was celebrating acapella groups.

6. AK says:

Do we REALLY need another reality TV singing competition? If you do–BRING BACK THE SING OFF! At least they’re using their own voices and talents. This seems too much like “Lets Make a Deal”.

7. Rolfe says:

This will just contribute to NBC running The Voice into the ground. They certainly aren’t concerned about the longevity of The Voice. They’re milking this cash cow/genre as fast as they can.

• dan says:

Seriously! NBC should be happy with The Voice airing once a year from January to May, but instead they’re adding a Fall cycle and now this new show (which sounds very confusing). Enough already. Too much dilution of the singing competition genre!

• Kristina says:

They are desperate for ratings, The Voice is one of the few shows keeping them afloat so I guess they figured they’ll try to cash in on another one.

8. Justin says:

This is just dumb. Sounds confusing- and pointless. It won’t be about talent- it’ll be about money.

9. brandy says:

What?! Stop it, networks! We have enough!

10. Joan says:

*Rolls eyes*
    Seriously? Idol came first, I can take the US X-Factor because the british version is amazing and The Voice is good when you get past the annoying judges (my opinion), but do we really need another singing competition?
    Duets sucked and was a waste of the judges’ talent… I doubt this will be good.

11. Tara J. says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

12. noa says:

eeewwww.

13. Laura M says:

They cancel The Sing Off just to bring us garbage like this? Ugh. I’d rather see talented a capella artists than watching people negotiate their own exits.

14. Chrys says:

Oh Lord. Please not another show that’ll keep the hubby glued to the couch and singing at the top of his lungs in the shower… because that’s not something I particularly like to hear. Or anyone likes to hear, for that matter. (Shhh… Don’t tell him I said that…)

15. sarah says:

Right, so they cancel Awake and are putting off Smash until 2013 but are airing this! Whatever NBC

• Linderella says:

Touche’. What a bunch of morons! And message to those considering watching: you’ll just get more of the same crap until you quit watching these terrible “reality” shows.

16. Josh says:

Oh my God…it will never end.

17. leigha says:

honestly the only one I keep watching is Idol, even though the voice and duets have better judges. I’m loyal to Idol. I’ve watched the first seasons of X factor and the voice but couldn’t keep my interest. Likewise with duets (even though I love me some kelly clarkson). They need to stop with all these singing shows the only winners are the judges who seem to get a bump in their sales. The contestants don’t get anywhere (except for Idol)

• Tyriq says:

Actually advertisers are winners, and producers, and any talent that gets a few million views on national tv (and international exposure via reposts on youtube and news shows). It’s a win-win for all involved.

18. Russki says:

How about this: Let’s make it NON-NEGOTIABLE that you bring back THE SING-OFF instead of this crap!

19. Frank says:

Bad move… I’m from Holland where it premierd last TV season.. and sunk faster than the Titanic. It failed misserably in Germany as well… Enjoy while it lasts

20. NBC is determined to kill American Idol. I miss the good old days of NBC.

21. Esaul says:

There’s only one reason they’re doing this. They’re after a quick buck. Reality shows are cheaper to produce than a scripted show. Even if this fails (which it will) it won’t be a huge loss to NBC versus pouring money into a scripted show to axe it. More people tend to watch reality shows live as opposed to recorded. I mean let’s face it you don’t see a repeat of The Voice or American Idol compared to your scripted shows where they will air repeats when the show is on a break. This is both a smart/poor decision on their behalf. Smart because it’s cheap and there will be people who will check it out. This will give them the ratings. And even if it fails it’s a loss yes, but not as large of one as it could be. It’s a bad decision because let’s face it. There’s too much singing competitions on. They just canceled The Sing Off and gave The Voice a fall and spring cycle. There’s only so much more the audience can take before they just say no.

22. Rock Golf says:

Yeah, that’s why we watch singing competitions – to follow the negotiations of amateurs.

This show could actually break the record of “The One” in terms of fastest cancellation of a TV singing competition.

23. Karen O says:

SAFE THE SING OFF!

24. Beauty says:

Dear network execs, if you’re gonna do a reality singing competition, then ACTUALLY DO A FREAKING REALITY SINGING COMPETITION!!! Make it a mash-up of key elements of ‘The Voice’, ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ & ‘The Hunger Games’!!! Now THAT’S a reality singing competition show I’d tune in to see! Lip sync (or actually SING) for your life! LITERALLY!!! All while wearing fabulous home sewn costumes and performing self-made choreography on a stage rigged with life impairing booby-traps to self-important judges who may (or may not) turn around to give a crap – or not! Now throw in some God awful beasts to chase and rip the contestants apart, while they perform, AND WE’VE GOT A SHOW! \o/ Network execs, you’re welcome! :)

25. JB says:

This sounds beyond stupid…enough with the singing competitions already!! NBC just keeps throwing crap at viewers trying to see what will stick.

26. W says:

The Winner is… is a show solely based on the weakest part of The Voice; the battle rounds. The aded an certain amount of money, with the thought that ‘simple’ tv watching people find that exiting. The ratings in The Netherlands and Germany show otherwise. To say that the show underperformed would still be a to kind.
    The Voice of Holland on the other hand is the most watched singing competition in The Netherlands.

To illustrate the amount of viewers for singing competitions in The Netherlands
    (in the Netherlands the viewers are more important than the ratings ;) ):

The Voice of Holland season finale 2011: 3,7 million viewers (this is for our standards a lot of people ;) )
    (average: 2,53 million viewers)
    The Voice of Holland season finale 2012: 3,6 million viewers
    (average: 3,03 million viewers)

This spring we had our first edition with children
    The Voice Kids: 2,8 million viewers
    (average: 2,73 million viewers)

The Winner Is… 2012
    First episode: 1,1 million viewers
    Second episode: 652.000 viewers
    Final episode: 691.000

X factor 2007 average:1,52 million viewers
    X factor 2009 average: 1,57 million viewers
    Finale X factor 2010: 2,1 million viewers (average 1,55 million)
    Finale X factor 2011: 1,9 million viewers (average 1,33 million)

(We have had 4 season of Idols between september 2002 and march 2008 which never reached the 3 million viewers but it did had a little more viewers than the first 2 X factors).

27. Ash says:

Wtf? They cancelled the Sinc Off for this? The sing off was honestly the only reality singing show I enjoyed because it actually featured people with undeniable natural talent, it also didn’t have the obnoxious drama aspect to it. Just passionate judges who gave insightful critiques and humble contestants with amazing talents and voices.

28. Mike says:

This is a result of Comcast buying a controlling interest in NBC Universal. They want to charge their Internet customers for data limits. Just wait. You won;t be able to watch Netflix but you’ll be forced to watch NBC. And now…..the networks are suing Dish because the new Hopper skips past the commercials and the nets are mad because they’ll lose money. Well maybe the networks shouldn’t have shaken down every cable and satellite company to pay for FREE Over the Air TV shows. And now some in DC are saying nobody’s watching over the air. Think again, I am.

29. KSM says:

This just sounds bad.

30. davidsask says:

All ages, duels, and money wars, this is sure to be failure, as it just steals a bit on other existing shows. If this is a hit I will be shocked, even if airs in Summer!

31. Danielle H says:

I don’t watch any of these, but it’s actually somewhat different then what’s on right now. I vote death to all reality TV, but meh.

32. OMG! NO MORE! There are more singing shows on the air now than there have been singers in the history of recorded music!

Is it that the Networks can’t hire great writer’s to write great television shows? I’m sure there are plenty of screenwriters and authors out in the world who’d be GLAD to give it a try!

HEY NBC (and ABC, CBS, FOX, SyFy, etc, etc, etc) have CREATIVITY will WRITE for GREAT T.V.

33. Beth T says:

A smart network would pick up The Sing-Off and run it opposite this … concept. ;-)

34. Steve says:

IM NOT WATCHING ANOTHER SINGING COMPETITION SORRY.. I GAVE THE VOICE A CHANCE AND IT JUST WASNT GOOD – AND NOW THEYRE DESTROYING IT FOR GOOD BY AIRING IT TWICE A YEAR AND IM NOT WATCHING IT. I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY ABC DUETS AND IT WAS TERRIBLE. IM KEEPING IDOL IF THEY DONT SCREW IT UP AND I AM WILLING TO GIVE SIMON A SECOND CHANCE ON XF BUT BRIT AND DEMI ARE NOT EXCITING ME…AND THEN THERES SOME OTHER CW SHOW WITH GLORIA ESTEFAN (WHO I WOULDVE LIKED TO HAVE GOTTEN A SHOT ON A MAJOR SHOW – SHES SO TALENTED, NICE AND EXPERIENCED) AND NIGEL HAS SOME OTHER SHOW TOO DOESNT HE? AND NOW THIS? AND AN MTV SHOW? SINGERS ARENT SELLING TO BEGIG WITH – NO MORE SHOWS

35. Kel says:

No. Seriously, no.

36. smidnite says:

Hopefully they’ll at least get some decent judges. Perhaps the Sing Off team?

37. cjeffery7 says:

sweet, let’s incorporate greed and deceit into an already exhausting genre…

38. mia says:

another singing show? I know the US has a huge population, but seriously, there has to be a limit to the pool of actually talented singers right?
    I only watch The Voice…and then only because I like the banter between the judges and I put it on while I do house chores.

39. Beth says:

I just signed a petition to save the sing-off. Pentatonix actually campaigned on this on their YouTube account. I’d really really rather not have anything at all if there’s no hope for bringing back the sing-off. Everything about that show was just great. Even the judges. *sigh
    This is why I turn to my Korean dramas during these dark ages :/

40. Angela says:

Yes, NBC, don’t bother fixing the issues you’ve got now trying to keep the shows you currently have on your network afloat. What we need is yet another singing competition. That’ll solve all your channel’s woes!
    Sigh *Puts head in hands*.

41. bab says:

this show flopped hard in germany. the final was last week and it underperformed just like the rest of its season. it will hardly get a second season here

42. gillian says:

ENOUGH reality singing competitions, seriously!

43. WayDownSouth says:

I just learned yesterday (I know. Always late to the party!) that The Sing-Off, my FAVORITE competition, was cancelled. This is just a slap in the face. The Sing-Off contestants were all uber talented and a joy to watch each week with my family. I’m really sad. :( Boooooooooo, NBC! Wish they’d listen to the fans.

44. xerxia says:

Ugh, sounds like a great vehicle for the egos and fame wh0res who don’t make the cut on Survivor.

45. Ann VerWiebe says:

For this they canceled The Sing Off? Eh.

46. Deborah says:

Good job, NBC. Cancel an amazing show like Awake for yet another crappy reality singing series.

47. Zephrine Music says:

Reblogged this on Zephrine's Original Music and commented:
    A must read “The Winner Is” a new show with a big twist.

48. You Complain says:

and yet you people watch them so what does that say about you.

49. dfoghourt says:

IM SO HAPPY THEIR MAKING ANOTHER ONE!!!