Scoop: NCIS' Michael Weatherly Lands Juicy Role on TNT's Closer Spinoff Major Crimes

TNT’s forthcoming Closer spinoff, Major Crimes, has collared its first high-profile guest star: Michael Weatherly.

The NCIS vet will appear in an early Season 1 episode as Arthur “Thorn” Woodson, a charming con artist who currently works as an “intuitive life strategist” for a group of Israeli mob wives (all of whom he is bedding). Described as a “Peter Pan with an A.D.D. problem,” Thorn previously held down jobs as a hand model, a ventriloquist and a black jack dealer. His dream is to someday land his own show on Oprah Winfrey’s fledgling cable net OWN.

“Arvin Brown is directing [the episode] — he’s done many NCIS episodes,” Weatherly tweeted of the gig.

Major Crimes is set to premiere on Monday, Aug. 13 at 10/9c immediately following the series finale of The Closer.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Your Guide to the New Fall Shows

The news comes as Weatherly continues to negotiate a new contract to continue playing Tony on NCIS. His current deal expired at the end of the just-wrapped ninth season. (His co-stars, Pauley Perrette and Sean Murray, are also hammering out new pacts.)

Earlier this month, NCIS exec producer Gary Glasberg expressed confidence that “it will all work out.”

1. Lauren says:

Sounds interesting, will definitely be looking out for this!!

• Charles Babcock. says:

Michael Weatherly’s exit will be my exit. He doesn’t, he acts up. No meat there. 12 year old boy humour. Major crimes is enough of a disappointment.

• J.Johnston says:

Wow, have you seen the early years of NCIS, like the first 5 years, the guys one of the main reasons the shows a popular as it is. You would be one of the 1% that think he’s not a good actor. He’s proven himself a hundred times over in BOY scenarios, intimate scenarios, kick ass scenarios, pretty much an all around actor. HIs wit is wanted my many, based on the the stories I have read through the 9 NCIS years, so I’m not making this up. All positive on Mike.

• Charles Johnston says:

Before feeling like you owe everyone a piece of your brilliance, look up the word timing and gestures and see how how many people can put the two together like Mr. Weatherly. He’s good, otherwise the experts: you know, that’s the people who study a subject for a long time and know it inside and out, wouldn’t write so positively about him.

• Peggy says:

AS LONG AS HE GOES BACK TO NCIS I DON’T CARE WHAT SHOW HE IS A GUEST ON.
      Peggy

2. I didn’t care for The Closer, but I’ll watch this one just to see Michael Weatherly’s guest spot. :-) Maybe I’ll get hooked. :-)

• Cloudy Knight says:

I don’t care for NCIS, but I’ll probably watch because it’s from the same people as The Closer.

• Kate says:

I love The Closer, but have no interest in Major Crimes. Oh James Duff, you know how to reel a gal in. I’ll be tuning in for this episode, at least.

• sarcastic troll says:

I didn’t watch Dark Angel but I’ll probably watch because this isn’t Dark Angel.

3. Zachary says:

I might just watch that episode since I been curious to see him in something besides NCIS Never could make it past the pilot on The Closer so I don’t think I will be watching the spin-off regularly though.

4. Kat says:

I’ll watch anything with Michael, Mark or any of the NCIS crew. Love them all!

5. Is it me or does anyone else want him to guest star on Rizzoli and Isles?

• Taylor says:

OMG YES!!!!! jane and tony together?!?! AHHHH yum. HAHA that would make my lifeeee!! Although I do hope tony and ziva will get together! <3

• vjw says:

Jane and Tony? How ’bout Kate (Maura) and Tony? :)

• Barbara says:

NCIS is my favorite show and when I saw the teaser for Major Crimes and saw Tony on there I thought I was seeing things but it was him, then I got concerned that he might not be returning to NCIS?! tv has gone to hell in a hand basket!!! Even if it were so why down grade himself to that new show? NCIS better be back! Mark Harmon of course being the strong hold of the show, he and Tony are the stars. I don’t even want to see him on a show as a guest. Why not a classy tv movie?

• Kvivik says:

Jane and Tony??? I want to see Maura (aka Kate) and Tony. Sasha and Michael together as 2 totally different characters would be great. Still shocked that she made an uncredited appearance during the 200th epi. Was happy to see her there, yelling at Tony.

• Pat D. says:

It wasnt actually her….she couldnt get there in time for the shooting of that episode, so they used CGI to create a “virtual” Kate.

• I LOVED the alt universe scene with Tony and Kate, it almost made up for the last 7 years of NCIS. I’m still a TATE shipper at heart.

• Svenja says:

Although I am a Tiva shipper, I am also a Tate shipper. It was my first NCIS-ship which is why I would love MW guest starring on Rizzoli and Isles

• I got to go with everyone else, it should be Maura not Jane. It is probably is just the TATE shipper in me.

• Carolyn says:

why on earth would rizzoli mess with Michael( tony)….he’s too in love with himself on NCIS….he’d have to have a vastly different character…dr.isles might be that impressed and vulnerable to a narcissistic character like tony’s but jane’s got common sense.

6. Karen says:

I love both NCIS and The Closer so I will be watching. I am going to miss The Closer. I hope Major Crimes continues to have the same kind of cast chemistry and good writing as The Closer.

• I’m with you, Love NCIS and The Closer. And hope too get more of the same from Major Crime.

• Barbara says:

Mary McDonnell looks dorky in those glasses and her hair style is well isn’t is more like it. She looks hideous and Mary is a good actor. I can’t watch the show cause I can’t stand looking and listening to her. The Closer had character and Kira brought charisma to the show. Major Crimes is a major dud for tv and Michael Weatherly is off his rocker for being a guest star. That’s like going backwards instead of forward.

7. Spot 13 says:

Why does this sound a bit off?

• Zachary says:

If you mean him playing in an episode of a cable show. It’s because cable shows shoot the majority of their episodes when networks are on break for the summer. If you mean something else than no idea.

8. Ana says:

I will probably give Major Crimes a shot but I will miss The Closer. It is one of.the best shows out there, network and cable included. As far as this guest star, I tried NCIS once and I didn’t like his character so I never watched again so if I tune in to MC it won’t be because of him.

• Mel says:

Ah well, your loss. I like all the characters on The Closer, and would watch Michael Weatherly read the phone book, so count me in! This character sounds like something Michael could have alot of fun with. Looking forward to it!

• Lumen says:

sooooo agree with you. heck, I’d watch him do nothing and enjoy that ;)

• Annie says:

I can’t imagine anyone not liking Michael Weatherly’s character on NCIS,. especially when he gets really serious and pulls rank on the other guys just because he knows what he’s doing and they’re basically all “probies”. When he went after Ziva’s boyfriend and shot him, I loved him in that. He had Ziva’s and NCIS’s back, and she didn’t even know it. She apologized to him later and acknowledged that he’s always had her back. I probably won’t watch Major Crimes, though, just ’cause I don’t like that female captain that’s given Brenda so many headaches. It won’t be anywhere nearly as good as the Closer. But……….that’s just my opinion.

• J.Johnston says:

Yeah me too. Anyone who doesn’t like his acting, not just his looks, or his character, or his hyper attitude, just flat doesn’t know acting. HIs gestures, his ability to lead the other characters to work in step with his style, all show the guys been working at perfecting his different character styles. If you don’t like his acting ability, your just not looking close enough.

9. Stacey says:

Please tell me he’s close to renewing his contract at NCIS, which is up. It gave me a heart-attack when I first glanced at the headline, and though he might be joining this new show. I want NCIS contract news to be announced for Tony, Abby, and McGee… McGee is expendable to me, but I want all to stay next year.

• Elaine Hutchinson says:

I quite agree the news nearly gave me a heart attack too, but it sounds very much like a one off thankfully, just hope it will be shown in England

10. Michael says:

OMG please let him become a main cast so we can get him as far away from Ziva as possible…………….. I am so going to watch Major Crime now AND i think it would be cool if they brought in Kate so they can be together again

• Kristy says:

Kate is DEAD!!!! The character Sasha Alexander plays on R & I couldn’t be further from Kate and personally I like Dr Isles more than I ever liked Kate.

And Tony and Ziva rock! Love them together – hoping that Season 10 will see them finally get together for real (and the possibility looks better than ever).

MW is just doing a guest spot – no way is he leaving the #1 show for an unproven spin-off. He is just stretching his acting wings (which is a good idea for any actor). Besides he can’t travel this hiatus like he normally does because he has a newborn daughter.

• Nubie says:

Lol!! Well….ACTUALLY, seeing that He’s playing “Sugar Daddy” to a bunch of Israeli – I repeat – ISRAELI Mob wives….I somehow think Ziva is NEVER far from his mind; they shall be forever linked :P

• Svenja says:

So you’d rather not see your favourite character on your favourite show anymore just because of Ziva? LOL wow… well Kate is a skeleton now (although I like her and Tony together) but it is kinda impossible

11. DL says:

Sounds like fun! I’m planning to tune into Major Crimes even though I don’t know if it can possibly be as good as The Closer. I also watch NCIS, so it’s a win-win for me.

12. Pip says:

wouldnt miss it for the world … but its in the hands of the gods whether we get to see it on satellite in the UK …

13. cathiecat says:

I will miss The Closer though we will have it forever in reruns. I am looking forward to Major Crimes. The Sharon Rader character started off as a by the book witch, but softened up and became a great team player by the last episodes. With much of the Closer team returning it looks like a great show.

• Carolyn says:

agree…looking forward to it myself…rayder has become more likeable…possibilities there. i’ll be glad to see the last of the terribly phony southern persona of Brenda Lee and ma & pa. i liked the show around her but she just made me want to upchuck my opossum,sweet taters and collard greens.

14. vicki says:

Looking forward to seeing Michael Weatherly in a role other than Tony.

15. april-ann says:

Man, that Michael Weatherly is HOT.

16. Kiki says:

I will miss The Closer so terribly that I’ve been considering not watching Major Crimes. I mean… how can they go on without Brenda??? But, now, THIS! Great news. Major Crimes, you got me.

• Pat D. says:

They can go on without her because of two things…and those two things are Provenza and Flynn. Hell, they could make a show with just those two, and it would be awesome!

17. SoFla says:

Yeah, that’s it. Show those PTB that you are wanted elsewhere as bargaining material for a better contract. Too bad it could only end up hurting the fans if they don’t bite and you think you are better off elsewhere. Hope all deals are worked out and VERY SOON to keep Tony, Ziva and McGee around for many years to come on NCIS.

18. anna says:

Going to be interesting to see MW in this role…the man is a talent that few on NCIS realize they have…

19. Magickster says:

Love The Closer. The cast were perfect and bounced off each other perfectly. It was humourous in the right places and Kyra played the role of Brenda beautifully. At least most of the cast will be in the new show. I like the idea of Weatherly being in another show. You don’t see these main performers in other shows enough. it also shows that there will be life after NCIS which is a positive thing for fans.

20. LilyL says:

G.W. Baily aka Sgt. Provenza shops in my neighborhood so I’ve seen him a few times. he told me about this show although he said that Kyra won’t be a regular anymore. :( But I think a show about Sgt. Provenza and Leut. Flynn will be hilarious. I hope the other characters are in the show too. Can’t wait for it to air.

21. Svenja says:

Very happy about the news. It kinda made me laugh that his character here interacts with Israelis again. I wonder whether he auditioned for the part of just got asked to do it because the role basically sounds like Anthony DiNozzo’s bad and shady alter ego. MW is a great actor. Can’t wait to see it :)

22. Jen says:

Ah. SO looking forward to this. Would watch anything with Michael Weatherly in it! Can’t wait for NCIS season 10! :)

23. Vanny says:

Peter Pan with an A.D.D. problem – LOL, isn’t that Tony DiNozzo now?

24. Allie says:

Am I the only one who read the “Israeli mob wives” and thought:
    Michael my dear, RIGHT nationality, WRONG show ;)

• Catherine says:

Haha, I thought that too!!! Tiva! … Never really watched The Closer, and the same might go for it’s spin-off, but MW making a guest star appearance?? Oh hell yeah I’m gonna watch that! Maybe I’ll even get hooked to the show, who knows.

25. CP says:

“The Closer” was always a bit of a hit or miss for me because of the (IMO) unnecessary buffoonery with the squad which distracted from otherwise well-written scripts and likeable, relateable characters. I WILL, however, watch anything Michael Weatherly is in, so I’ll definitely catch this ep. of “Major Crimes” in hopes that they’ve toned down the comedy without sacrificing either the writing or characters. Something NCIS manages to do, and its #1 and I can barely wait for season 10.

26. Thomas says:

I will miss the closer. I just started watching it this year and just started buying the seasons. I noticed that the Black gentleman is not in major crimes and he was important to the success of the closer. They need to pay him well enuogh to be apart of major crimes the show will need him. As far as Michael Weatherly being in the pilot for major crimes that will be treat to see him in another role, he’ll do well. But NCIS needs his character as it needs all the others. McGee, Ziva, Abbey and especially Gibbs. If anyone needs to go on NCIS it would be Vance.

27. Steve says:

I would watch a spinoff tailored around Flynn and Provenza. But not Raydor. Couldn’t stand her on the Closer.

28. Mike says:

Raydor is SMOKIN! Mary McDonnell is one hot cougar! Didn’t like her at first but as her loyalty to Brenda came out she really grew on me. She also played a great character in the Battlestar Galactica series on Scy-fy, which was a great drama series as well as science fiction. Flynn and Provenza were/are a riot. Love the baseball game with the corpse in the garage. My wife and me will miss The Closer very much and hope Major Crimes can fill it’s very large shoes.

29. col says:

does anyone know who dies in the new season of ncis

• Carolyn says:

they could kill vance off and replace him with just about anyone and he wouldn’t be missed. The others, even shallow,egotistical tony are vital though. and without gibbs,abby,mcgee or ducky it would never be worth watching to me.

30. William Golding says:

The upcoming elections, the economy, sociopaths random killing, poverty, education…….ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE NUTS !!

Deal with reality, not if Tony is screwing Rizzoli or Isles!

31. Jen says:

Hi. I was wondering which episode of Major Crimes MW is gonna guest star? I wanna be sure and have my DVR ready. I know it’s an early episode- maybe next week’s?? I’m watching Major Crimes now. It’s not really my cup of tea but I do like that Mary McDonnell. She was good in Battlestar Gallactica.

32. Marianne says:

I agree with mel, Michael Weatherly could just sit in front of the camera & read a phone book and I’d watch him. All those other actors in the news, i.e. Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, etc, none of them can hold a candle to Michael Weatherly. You can put all the male actors in the union together and there would still be none as classically handsome as Michael. I love the Tony-Ziva dance; they have great chemistry. But I don’t think the writers should ever take them to an affair. I’d enjoy seeing their dance get closer but a true affair would completely change the atmosphere for the whole team. I hope Gibb’s team all come back for session 10. They operate like a symphony together; even one missing & the music wouldn’t be the same. I think it would be a really interesting senario if Tony’s previous flame Jeanne came back for a few episodes. (Loved watching that side of Tony). There is internet chatter that Michael should host SNL-totally agree with that! Also, I wish there was a way to start an internet petition to the studio/casting directors/producers/whoever making the move version of “Fifty Shades of Grey”. There is NO ONE better suited for the role of Christian Grey than Michael Weatherly!

33. Tammy says:

Mary Mcdonnell was great as President Laura Roslin in Battlestar Galactica.I like that they started her out as an unlikeable character in The Closer, so that now the other lead characters are learning to like her in Major Crimes, loving it so far! Then to find out “big D little i big N little ozzo” Tony Dinozzo (Micheal Weatherly) is guest staring WOW, I am so excited about next weeks episode now.

34. me says:

I hate this stupid show. The only credit is Michael weatherly. He is hilerious

35. Carol says:

Michael Weatherly is a talented actor. Major Crimes was exceptional with his guest role. I appreciate seeing him as Tony DiNozzo on NCIS. He always makes me smile or laugh. I have been looking at the Michael Weatherly guest shot shows on video and he has been on many talk shows. He is interesting and entertaining. I like the idea of him being on SNL, but I would also like to see him on Dancing With The Stars. All the best to Michael Weatherly and his fans.