Idology: Was Season 11 Idol's Best Ever? Plus: Phillip's Exact Winning Moment Analyzed! And Jessica's Wild Kingdom Hijinks Relived!

Whether or not you were rooting for a Phillip Phillips victory, there were plenty of reasons to celebrate when the confetti began to fall at the end of American Idol‘s eleventh season.

On this week’s two-part episode of Idology, Season 6 standout Melinda Doolittle and I discuss why the latest chapter in Idol history turned out to be so stellar, offer an in-depth analysis of when exactly Phillip sewed up the win, and examine how the Idol Machine played a part in thwarting Jessica Sanchez’s attempts to become Idol‘s first female winner since Jordin Sparks.

RELATED | The Idol (Less) Rich: For Jessica Sanchez, No Guaranteed Album Deal, Likely Smaller Payday

Plus, we try to make sense of Phillip’s occasionally “atonal” style, recap Jennifer Lopez’s most annoying critique in 2012, rail against the inappropriate lyrics of Jessica’s debut single, and relive the highs and lows of the Season 11 finale: The catsuits! The sloth! The decreased focus on idiots! The phone-book song! And the moment Jennifer Holliday tried to devour Jessica Sanchez’s face!

RELATED | American Idol Season 11 Finale Recap: And the Winner Is…

And finally, Melinda and I offer two concrete ways Uncle Nigel can ensure Season 12 is even better than the one that came before it. Spoiler alert: One way might obliterate Ryan Seacrest’s ability to trumpet “world record” voting tallies. (Oh well!)

So press play below for a two-part Idology finale filled with crazy pop-culture clips (hi, Sherlock!), a little bit of salty language, and a possible threat to the planet’s most vulnerable children.

And do sign up to follow me on Twitter, since that’ll be the first place to find out exactly when I post my upcoming Idology exit interviews with the Season 11 Top 5, not to mention plenty of off-season Idol goodness!

1. Philatics says:

Phillip

• LibbyD says:

• Robin says:

YES! YES! YES!

• TinyTim says:

Based on early radio airplay of Phillips single he has bombed, so this will not be the best season ever. Home is about as good a song as he could get and it is flapping on the floor already.

• Katie says:

booo you no coronation song has done well on the radio

• Marianne says:

I think David Cook’s did fine. What about Kelly? (I didn’t watch much until season 6)

• Mary B says:

I am trying to find something on line how do you know Phillip is not doing well on the air? Where are you getting this data from?

• tewence says:

i just got this from wikipedia about “a moment like this”: When released as a single in October 2002, it set a record on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart when it rose from number 52 to number one.[16] The CD single sold 236,000 copies in its first week of sales in the U.S.[17] and spent five weeks at number one in Canada.

• TinyTim says:

MaryB go to USAtoday and they have Idol Chatter which gives the radio airplay of past contestants.

content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2012/05/kelly-clarkson-phillip-phillips-airplay/1

• egmtv says:

hahahaha “home” just broke a record…how do u feel

• gailer says:

IMO, it’s the best song ever by an Idol and no I’m not a PP fanatic

• TinyTim says:

You need radio airplay to drive sales long-term, so don’t get caught up in the first week sales numbers. Phillips has to get on the radio, so call up the stations if you want to support him.

• Gisele Glen says:

and yet its number 2 on the billboard top 100 right now yea it sucks so bad lol

• rodeoblu says:

Fool..he has sold more copies than any idol in the history of the show..check your facts…

• Kellen says:

It’s not actually officially released to radio until June 12th I think. Also, do you listen to the radio still? How about checking out iTunes. Seems Jessica, Joshua and Phillip have made an appearance on their charts as well the billboard charts. Perhaps search those results on google, too. Then we can all chat about singles bombing.

• Kirk Sansom says:

American Idol” winner Phillip Phillips earns the highest debut on the Digital Songs chart this week as his “Home” bows at No. 2 with 278,000 downloads sold according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Even better: It’s the second-best digital sales week ever for any “Idol” contestant. Only Kelly Clarkson’s 2009 song “My Life Would Suck Without You” had a bigger frame, when it debuted with 280,000 downloads.

• Templar says:

Is it just me, or on that clip of P2 singing Home does he look like the E-Trade baby when he says Home?

• JSF says:

is it just me or has AI given up? it seems like they are afraid or just don’t want to exert the effort of competing against the other shows (The Voice, X-Factor, etc) and have just settled for the WGWG loving viewers. Scotty even handed down a guitar to Philip. LOL

this was the closest contest coming into the Finale and they could have pushed in favor of either contestants but they either didn’t or they completely pushed in favor of Philip. after a WGWG 4 year streak coupled with plummeting ratings/album sales, you would think that they would want Jessica to win but they didn’t.

first of all, why give Jessica a song that is nothing like any song that she has done all season. and if she personally picked that song (which i’m sure she didn’t) and was intent on singing it no matter what, why not put it at the beginning of the show and have her close with “The Prayer” as a “recap” to the best AI season yet. and after “My All”, why give her “I Have Nothing”?

i’m guessing after “I Will Always Love You” went viral but did nothing for the ratings, i guess they kinda gave up and tried to keep the viewers that they already had.

• Kellen says:

Personally, I loved the voice season one. Season two was funny when they picked the contestants, but despite the talent I found the format to be tedious and found it difficult to really get to know the contestants since they do not perform every episode. Pretty sure it was the same last year, but fewer contestants so maybe less annoying. I couldn’t even get through the season with tivo this year. Lost interest after the battle rounds. X Factor, was awful last year. And the addition of Britney Spears and Demi Lovato just means they too are looking for a cookie cutter singer. Please Simon this was the best you could do? Game over with Britney Spears and pretty sure Simon will implode if her first day on set is any indicator. I personally think Phillip has something different to offer, if he really does go for more of a Jonny Lang/DMB vibe he will be different than the standard pop/popcountry WGWG. I also loved Elise Testone. Surprised by idol standards she made it to the live shows, but I thought she also had a lot of character to her voice and was very sure of her own style. Jessica lost not because of talent, but more because they or she (I don’t know who made the choices) consistently chose songs that were not necessarily appropriate or believable for a 16 year old. But as far as the WGWG, get over it. He is probably the most relevant of the last 5 winners. Yes, something needs to change. But, I don’t think it is fair to try and discredit the current winner before he’s even been given a chance. We are not judge, jury and executioner here. Get over it. Watch or don’t watch next year but quit whining.

• gailer says:

The more I rewatch his performances on YT, the more I see why he won and how much he deserved it! I wasn’t a fan of his till the end, so I wasn’t really paying attention to his talent.

2. Jksant says:

What kind of girl contestant does Idol need to replace the male winning streak? If someone as talented as Jessica could not win AI, I’m not sure what female being still could.

Congrats to Phillip though. I like them both, I just like Jessica more.

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

I just think Jessica needed more than a good voice. The one thing Kelly, Carrie, Jordin and Fantasia had in common was that you knew who they were. There was something about them you could relate to. Kelly and Jordin both had that bubbly, fun, girl-next-door quality, Carrie had the sheltered farm girl thing, and Fantasia had the poor single mom angle. I never really knew who Jessica was. Her choices all came across as very clinical. Nothing she did ever surprised me or made me go, “Wow!” And, it bothered me that she invested so little of who Jessica was into her performances, relying instead on making carbon copies of the original most of the time. That’s why I liked Phillip. Good bad and ugly, Phillip put his stamp on his performances 100% of the time. He was charming and funny and I felt like I knew him. That, IMO, is why he won.

• Jay says:

So very true.

• jen says:

huh?? If you don’t think Philip made carbon copies of each and every one of his performances then you weren’t paying attention. That is ALL he did.

• tewence says:

the only reason i would disagree with that is because he liked to avoid singing the melody most of the time…however, he was very predictable, just as people say jessica and some of the others were. (i like to call it personal style). don’t get me wrong, i am not a phillip fan.

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

I mean carbon copies of the originals. Her “I Will Always Love You” was almost note-for-note Whitney. Why should I pay for that when I can listen to the vastly superior original? When Phillip sung a song, he put his stamp on it. There’s a difference between your performances sounding like someone else and your performances all sounding like you. Jessica was constantly getting called out online for sounding like Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce and having no flavor of her own. I guess, in the end, for me, Phillip might not have been the technically best vocalist, but I liked what he did with songs because he, you know, did something with them. I would also venture a guess that that’s why Jessica’s performances didn’t chart nearly as well as his did — because people would rather buy the originals than a note-for-note copy.

• Mary B says:

Just curious, who did Phillip copy in Moving Out, The Letter, U Got it Bad, etc. He certainly had the ability to change a son up and make it sound great. I read an article about David Cook mentioning the whole WGWG thing. David said if he started it he is sorry but that it was so unfair to lump Phillip in that catagory and ignoring his talent. David said that he thought Phillip was one of the most talented contestant Idol has come across in years. He said he has the ability to take any song and change it up to make it his own and to sound great doing it.

• Owen says:

I think the poster meant carbon copies of his own performances. Which I also think as unfair. More than even David Cook, I think Phillip Philips made those songs his own. I don’t think his “own” worked for every song, but it does indicate Phil IS an “artist” if you go by the Idol definition which is (I think,) making each tune you cover sound like you created it..

• tarc says:

The fact that people disagree with you and voted him the winner might clue you in to something…

• macy says:

That’s just completely not true.

• Rhonda says:

bullcrap!! Phillip was his own person, and made up his own versions of the songs he sang…he was very original. it was you that wasn’t paying attention!

• Marsaili says:

Don’t mind Jen, she couldn’t say a nice thing about Phillip if you paid her.

• Annie says:

He won because he’s an artistic white guy. That’s who Idol viewers vote for. It has nothing to do with the other contestants not being as unique or relateable as him, so don’t blame them.

• chistosa says:

Annie, that is your opinion and that is fine. But I respectfully disagree vehemently. I am an Idol voter and I know many others who voted for Phillip for a variety of reasons, none of which is that he is “an artistic whicte guy.” That cliche has no data to back it up. My first choice was Elise whom I voted for each week until her elimination. My next choice was Joshua who I believe should have won it all. When it came down to the final two, I chose Phillip because I would buy his music and see him in concert. Maybe some day I will do so for Jessica but what she showed us throughout the competition did nothing to make me do so. If I want to hear the
          Whitney songs, I will listen to the vastly superior recordings which I already own. Likewise her other song choices. When she branches out and shows what kind of record she will make and infuses her own personality into her own songs, maybe I will be a fan. But not now. The “White guy” is so convenient to use as a justification but if Elise or Joshua were in the final two I would have voted one of them.

• tarc says:

And that’s fine, but Im sure you’re not going to make any headway in convincing people that Amercia chose the wrong contestant. There are plenty of reason why Phillip won, and a few why Jessica didn’t (despite her other, rather significant gifts). It certainly would have helped Jessica is she’d given any indication whatsoever what type of music she’d be choosing for her first album.

• TinyTim says:

Phillips version of Home sounds worse than the original and that is his new single, so where is the artistry? The show didn’t give him any just like many of us thought would happen.

And I like that song but it barely has any singing, by the end of it you wonder why.

• Mary B says:

Why don’t you just give it up Tiny Tim. He won, not anything you can possibly say right now will change that. Most of America don’t agree with you anyway. You are slapping a dead horse. Why is it so important for you that Phillip fails, do you have some kind of major bet on it or something.

• TinyTim says:

MaryB it shows that the people voting are not buying, that is why I point it out. Come on people, if you voted for Phillips go out and buy his music, call the radio station and get this kid some publicity. I felt bad for Lee DeWyze when he barely sold any albums too.

Just to make you happy I will now zip it up and leave for good. BTW I am also surprised at how poorly Jessica has sold so Phillips did deserve to win. At least how this show sets the rules.

They need to raise the age limit back to 18 and dump the instruments, limit the voting and then they will see ratings climb again. Right now it is a broken show but I am happy for those that love it and think they may some day date Phillips, lol.

• Mary B says:

I have all of Phillips music, I wish he had more stuff out there that I can purchase. He is fast becoming my favorite to listen to. I really am looking forward to his album coming out.

• Sha says:

“Right now it is a broken show but I am happy for those that love it and think they may some day date Phillips, lol.”
            lol the tour will be full of those types, I’ve witnessed it first-hand.

• Ella says:

Home is a weird song. I felt like I was in the middle of a high school marching band. Don’t care for the song at all.

• Rhonda says:

Phillip’s final song was a lot better than Jessica’s final song…It was more upbeat unlike Jessica’s song…it wasn’t very good. Although, I loved her voice, and was pulling for her, but I was glad that Phillip won. He is original and he knew who he was. Overall, his song was better

• Owen says:

I’m sorry, Carrie was a close to being an Idol Non-entity with a Voice as the show has ever crowned winner. Not saying Jessica wouldn’t have been the SECOND most personality repressed, but revisionist history seems to have forgotten how we non-Carrie lovers at the time referred to her as a singing Fem-bot…and look how she has blossomed.

• tewence says:

i actually thought the same thing! i didn’t find carrie to be dynamic on her season of AI (but that voice was undeniably the best). that has changed drastically for her, and she wasn’t even as young as jessica, for the people who use that as an excuse.

• Tara says:

I’m probably using s different yardstick than others, but when I look back at all 11 seasons of Idol, I think all of the winners were someone I could imagine having a conversation with over a coke or coffee. Approachable and down to earth. I know I could never have found common ground with Jessica. She seems ill at ease and repressed to me. Allison Iraheta, Jordin Sparks, Lauren Alaina, yes. Jessica, no.

• Marianne says:

Who was (is) she?? If Carrie can be a “sheltered farm girl..”, why can’t Jessica be a 16-year-old-sheltered, home-schooled girl (phenom)?? I think it’s pretty clear that she is pop/soul/r&b.

• Suggestor says:

Thank you Marianne! Jessica’s recent post Idol interviews show that the tv show edited her down a lot. She’s funny, happy and outgoing but also quite sweet. The recent article about her homecoming was rather sad though. Apparently one of the reasons she was home schooled was due to bullying. She was bullied because they made fun of her being on youtube and seeing by herself. She said she had to smile even after seeing the same girls who bullied her now showing up at her homecoming and acting like fans. I hope she stays tough because now that she will be reading the online chatter, she’ll see that the online world is not so kind either.

• Ray says:

Your comments comparing her with other females who won make sense. I wanted a female winner, and I could have voted for Elise or Skylar in a finale. But I wound up voting for Phillip in the finale because I did not want Jessica to win for the same reasons that many have stated, including what you have addressed in your comments.

• Suggestor says:

“Jessica herself admitted that she did not feel the songs enough, that she was focused on the
          technical aspects of songs. That is what many of us said about her and she confirmed it.” Where did Jessica say this? I know she said that finale song was not something she would have picked as a recording, and that they did not really change them that much even after she requested the changes. However, she’s fine with it and has moved on. She is resilient. I’m still disappointed at all the Jessica comments from above, even after so many recording attests even Melinda herself stating she did have a sound and was an artist in her own right. They all are, just because they do not match your fave does not mean they do not evoke and interpret songs their way. People still pounce on her ‘mimicking’ Whitney but do not seem to understand that as Michael stated above – you can’t veer away from such a song. It is too identifiable and the TEST of it is not trying to interpret it too differently but getting close to the high standards it requires to sing it. That’s why Jessica got such high marks, she can get close to to those marks and in many cases far exceeded people’s expectations. As for WGWG, I do not have a problem with that simply because I know the demographic that watches Idol and that comes with the territory. Now that there are other shows out there, I am seriously doubting that the very best females will try out this next season. If Elise, Skylar, Jessica, Lauren, Haley, Crystal and Hollie could not break the last few years of WGWG… I’m not going to hold my breath that there’s some woman out there who will ever win again until the voting system changes.

• not pathetic says:

You wanted a girl to win but you voted for Phillip because you didn’t want Jessica to win?! That is pathetic and a waste of time. The normal reason to vote for Phillip was because you liked him and or his music, and you wanted him to win, not because you didn’t want Jessica to win.

• Suggestor says:

The TWO things Kelly, Carrie, Jordin and Fantasia were: 1. No instruments were allowed. 2. Smart Phones were not in the hands of teens yet. :) :) :)

• JC says:

Yes that is the problem ever since the producers of idol allowed contestants to play instruments like guitars that is when the show started producing WGWG left and right like they came from a cloning laboratory :)

• Krista says:

I don’t know, Jksant. I would think someone edgy, like a Pink.

That being said, I guess I do lean towards the WGWG. I just haven’t had a girl win me over yet. I think it’s all the diva stuff.

• tarc says:

Simple – one that is the best/most popular contestant.

• noa says:

i thought that Crystal fit that description.

• Will says:

You only need “most popular”

Being the best has nothing to do with winning. MANY of the contestants who have stayed over other eliminated contestants prove this, and at least a couple of the winners definitely prove that it’s more about popularity than it has ever been about talent. Most votes = winner. And that’s it.

• TinyTim says:

As I said we need a girl that looks like a guy and plays guitar to win, maybe she can grow a small beard too.

• Fernando says:

Is it possible this is at least partly a genre thing? We’ve heard big-voiced divas doing power ballads over and over and over on this show (and everywhere else) for a long time. Maybe the WGWG trend reflects a voting audience who is more into country, folk rock, rock and Americana.

• Will says:

Then Crystal Bowersox had no reason to lose to Lee DeWyze.

• Fernando says:

I only saw bits of the season that had Bowersox and DeWyze, but wouldn’t they both fit into those categories I mentioned? If so, then the fact that two people in those genres were the top two that year might support my theory that genre plays a role. (But again, I didn’t see that season.)

• Marsaili says:

Yes they both fit into that genre—Crystal was a more obvious talent than Lee—but when Lee does HIS thing, you can see how good he truly is—too many people write him off as a two-three note nothing—which really isn’t true at all. Crystal is doing very well in the country genre now, she’s got songs on the radio and videos on the country music stations. Lee is busy making a new album in Nashville that is all him—not contrived American Idol Pop Tunes–so once he gets more exposure, I’m sure he’s gonna do much better than he did under the Idol machine.

• Name That Tune says:

So this is a contest. White Guy vs. White Girl. Both play guitars. Are they in same genre – possibly, but Crystal showed she could do much more than one style of music. Overall, including the finale, the better performer was Crystal Bowersox. Just google that finale. Many recappers predicted Crystal would win, based on her performance on finale night. But that ball was rollin’. She was seen as the favorite all season long (Joshua/Melinda Doolittle curse). She had flaws in her appearance (Melinda Doolittle curse).
            ————————-
            At any time you try to apply a rational approach, you forget there are people who are VOTING – and voting obsessively for 2 to 4 hours – who are basing their votes on FEELINGs. Whether I fess up or not, those feelings are based on how attractive you are. There were 2 WGWGs in the top 3 that season. The real hearthrob was Casey James, but Lee had his girls, too.

• Marsaili says:

But if it were based purely on looks—Casey would have won by a landslide—especially since he was/is a darn good singer as well. I’m sorry but Jealous Guy trumps anything that Lee did that season, including The Boxer (which I happened to love). It’s not purely looks–no matter how many ways you come up with to justify your position, in the end people are going to vote for the MUSIC they like the best. A guy can be cute as all heck–but if he truly sucks as a singer/musician, he isn’t going to win Idol.

• Marsaili says:

That’s what I’ve been saying—but instead I keep hearing that it has nothing to do with the music genre–it’s all JUST because the guys are cute—which I think is a load of poop. I DO think it’s all about the genre of music—more people like rock and roll or country, more people like guys who play guitars—contestants like that bring more guys in to watch and buy their albums, too. Of course, Pop and Country will outsell these guys—but if they are making a decent living (as all the previous guys are) then it doesn’t matter.

• Fernando says:

I also wonder what percentage of the voters are straight males, and how they vote. People who make movies have figured out that while women will go to “boy” movies with their guy friends/husbands, most men will not go to a “girl” movie, period. Does that suggest that men won’t vote for the teen girl singing the sappy ballads, going instead for male candidates doing “edgier” genres?

• Fernando says:

also — is it possible Haley Scarnato stayed on the show as long as she did because males were mesmerized by the hot pants and halter tops? Just askin’.

3. JustMe says:

hoho… jessica deserves to be the american idol

they should change the name of the show…
    WGWG Idol : Where Mediocrity as its best since season 6 hahaha

• Eric Cole says:

I will agree with this from season 8 on, but David Cook was absolutely the correct winner of Season 7. Have you listened to his two albums? They are both stellar.

• JustMe says:

haha yeah I forgot… I must give exception to david cook .. sorry ’bout that

• deedee says:

I’m on board with David Cook, too. It had to be him.
      For me, season 7 is on par with season 11 for the great cast, diverse talent, and great chemistry among the contestants.

• Annie says:

lol, WGWG Idol. I think that the last five winners are talented in their own rights, but just seeing them all win in a row… time for some diversity!

• Robin says:

I wouldn’t really lump Scotty in with the WGWG group…yeah he played it a couple of times, but he didn’t really use it as a game/song changing tool. Not like David/Kris and Phillip did. Think Hello/Heartless and U got it bad. Lee was an okay guitarist…the real guitarist of that season was/is Casey James. What would people be saying if they had allowed intruments during Chris Daughtry’s season? Maybe we would have had 6 WGWG winning seasons? Kris is more pop, Daughrty, David and Phillip more rock. Scotty-country. I’ve liked all these guys. My Ipod and I like our WGWG…

• Name That Tune says:

I would lump them all together. I have a friend who every season is rooting for the WGWG. I’ve yet to see her root for any other contestant, no matter how good they are. This year it was P2, and last year Paul McDonald – until he got booted, then it was Scotty. I don’t think she even recognizes that she’s attracted to the cutest white guy on the show.

• Andrea says:

If she were rooting for the cutest guy this year it would have been Colton(who was also the most talented guy). Phillip is limited in what he can do live but it doesnt seem to matter. He will be out sold by Skylar and Colton. Hopefully they will get Elise out there to as I think she will make a killer cd. But Phillip will be another Lee. I do not lump the last 5 winners together at all. Yes they happen to be white men. Would people be as upset if 5 black men won the last 5 times? No people would call you racist to say anything about that. I don’t think the right person won twice in the last 5 years and that’s Lee, Casey James should have won! And last year should have been Haley Reinharts year to win! And of course this year Skylar, Colton or Elise would have been a great pick! But Jessica vs Phillip sorry I’d prefer Phillip!

• Name That Tune says:

Ah, but she also goes for the guitar playing guy – she’s not a jazzy, soulful kind of person. There were 5 WGWGs last season. The 2 most attractive guys were Paul McD and Scotty. Her overall tastes lean more to a rock/blues flavor. She’s not into R&B, Motown, jazz, or pop. So if Paul McD goes, the closest thing to that is Scotty. In reality, country is really more crossover these days. It’s really country/rock (think Blake Shelton).
            ———————-

• tarc says:

Other than being male, there was plenty of diversity.

• chistosa says:

And Phillip justifiably won over Jessica.

• tarc says:

Exactly. America picks it’s winner for a myriad of reasons. I think it’s great that every winner isn’t a pop singer, or a pretty Barbie doll, or a big ballad singer.

• noa says:

it would be great if we get more variety of winners. i don’t want every winner to be the same either- whether it’s a ballad singer, a WGWG or whatever.
          however, at least the show is giving us a variety of finalists, so most of the season everyone can find something they like.

• Mary B says:

This has got to stop no WGWG is created equal. None of the last five winners are the same. Listen to David Cook’s interview on Idol Hangover. What he says is so true. Besides lumping all white guys in one lot is like saying Elise, Holly and Skylar are the same because they are all white girls. See how ridiculous that sounds.

• deedee says:

I love David Cook, but I disagree with him. While it’s true that there are stylistic differences among the last 5 winners (Scotty being the most different), it’s hard not to notice their similarities. If 5 blonde girls won 5 years in a row, we’d be hearing about it – even of one was more country, the other more pop, etc etc.
            I’m gonna go with the analysts who blame a stagnating audience. Idol is losing viewers every year, and probably not picking up many newcomers. So we have a steady audience who generally seems to vote for variations of a certain “type”. The term “WGWG” would not have blown up so much if there was no kernel of truth to this, imo.

• Owen says:

Dear deedee: The truest words to by typed in an Idology posting board: “If 5 blonde girls won 5 years in a row, we’d be hearing about it – even of one was more country, the other more pop, etc etc.” Thank you. And to be clear, I’m guessing you mean, we’d be “hearing about it” from those who are defend the winning WGWG streak..

• Mary B says:

No you wouldn’t be hearing about it if the singer was worthy of it. Nobody should be voted for just because they are a cute guy with a guitar or a pretty blond girl or even a particular race but if the they earned it than so be it. I don’t believe Phillip was voted for just because he was cute. Sure there is some of that just like many Filipinos voted for Jessica just because of her race. I think Phillip totally deserved the title because he was the most unique out of the bunch. Yes he had some bad moments but sorry so did everyone else and he was the first to admit he bombed during Time of a Season but that was his only bad performance. You may not have liked some of his other stuff but his performances was good. Many people say he is only liked because he is a WGWG but I will say to you many of you don’t like him just because he is a WGWG. You don’t even give him a chance. If anyone is ruining the show it is people with this kind of attitude. Besides Adam Lambert And Chris Doughtey (who would have been the WGWG of the season) who did so much better than the winner. I voted for Haley last year but I hate to say this but Scotty was the one who deserved to win. His album sold 10 times what hers did the first week. I love Haley but I am just saying you can not discount Scotty because he is successful.

• deedee says:

My argument is not that they didn’t deserve to win — of course they did! They won fair and square because the viewers voted for them. In my humble opinion, though, there is a trend — a loosely defined type that the idol audience gravitates to, that’s all. And btw, Daughtry and Taylor Hicks both fit the bill for season 5 :D

• Princess Adora says:

Deedee, I couldn’t agree more. Aside from Scotty (only because I loved Haley so much), I could never revoke anyone’s win from the last 5 years, they completely deserved it. I loved your blonde girl analogy, it’s very true, people would get very suspicious of that trend, no matter how deserving they were.
            The problem is these “WGWG” superficially resemble each other and I think that makes Idol fans, like me, cringe because it leaves the show, and more importantly the winners/contestants, open to unfair criticism. It would’ve been nice to get that diversity this year, Jessica being the PERFECT one to do just that, but I really do like Phillip and found that I bought way more of his songs than anyone else’s, so I wish him the best of luck :)

• Name That Tune says:

DeeDee and Angora.
            I know women (adult females, over the age of 35) who watch every season, and always gravitate to the cutest white guy on the show. They aren’t always aware of WHY they like a certain guy, even if there are more musically gifted artists on the show. They never speak of them in terms of their musicality – just that they like them. In Season 7, we had Jason Castro, and I remember very distinctly reading message boards where all that was talked about was how cute he was – lots of pictures posted with those beautiful blue eyes. Oh, and my one friend who loved Paul McDonald – and he had those blue eyes.
            ————————–
            Which reminds me:
            David Cook – “I think they are mainly green” according to David
            Kris Allen – brown
            Lee DeWyze – blue
            Scotty McCreery – blue
            Phillip Phillips – green
            ————————
            Oh and a little bit of a quote fro another message board:

“oh, dear. i never thought i’d visited another idol forum since jason castro got eliminated in season 7, but here i am. with how popular phillip is, i’m amazed at the lack of stats on this boy. does anyone know how tall he is? and what eye color does he have? sometimes, they appear blue and other times green or even a light shade of brown. i can’t seem to pinpoint his eye color.” suszalwaze
            ————————-
            So, some of us try our best to talk about the music, but there is that group of VOTERs who are interested in more superficial things.

• Name That Tune says:

Out of curiosity:
            Taylor Hicks – Brown
            Chris Daughtry – Brown
            Bo Bice – Blue

• My Alter Ego says:

@deedee (My argument is not that they didn’t deserve to win) and Princess Adora: While I understand why you are “framing” your arguments in the way that you have, I also disagree with you. And, I disagree in a very obvious way. Lee DeWyze did not “deserve” to beat Crystal Bowersox — pure and simple.

*****

Since I hadn’t paid attention to Idol prior to Season 9, while I struggle conceding a win to Kris Allen (rather than Adam?????), I will assume that those who were “ardent” followers” (which I was not), know more than I do (although my knowledge of music and my musical ear, tell me otherwise).

Even in Season 10, while I’m a huge Haley fan who I’d have much preferred to see prevail, like Michael Slezak said in his final Idoloonies of last year, Scotty didn’t make any serious missteps, and while never going out on a limb, he kept to his trajectory. While musically, I’m not interested in what he puts out, he’s a good kid (and will probably grow into a fine human being), and I’m all for that. (However, if the title was to be given to the best vocalist/musician, Haley should have won — and, I suspect, Scotty would have agreed.)

Phillip Phillips sort of embodies that “good ole southern boy” aspect of Scotty and so, in that respect, he falls into a similar (although musically different genre) as Scotty. I recognized that he (Phillip) would probably win the title from semifinals weeks, not because I saw him as “musically good” [because he comes NO WHERE CLOSE to what I THINK/KNOW is musically good], but because he seemed to fall within the kind of “unfortunately bad” musical taste that most of the American Idol voters fall for: not particularly good music and a WGWG.]

While initially the title may have actually gone to the most talented person, for some years it’s definitely been nothing but a popularity contest.

And that’s what few want to acknowledge.

• tarc says:

@My Alter Ego – And, of course, I think that’s nonsense. Lee ‘deserved’ to win because he had the votes, and judging from album sales, the pair are about even (and low). I’ll just point out that in the case of Lee and Phillip – if you really have no ear for, or appreciation of, that type of music, you’ll not be able to compare with any validity. And Idol has always (always) been a popularity contest. Full stop. That’s precisely the way it was designed.

• Sha says:

I’m not sure how anyone can say all wgwgs deserved to win.. Lee sung on pitch for a total of two(?) performances.

• tarc says:

His pitch wasn’t perfect, but don’t confuse being on pitch for style. Bag pipes can be completely on pitch but not everyone likes them. Another example are the Celtic singers, which some erroneously say are off-pitch.

• tewence says:

this may not be a popular opinion, but i don’t think that being off pitch implies style. pitch is the base of what is being sung…style goes beyond that. nobody can debate somebody being on pitch (either you are or you aren’t) but style is up for interpretation. even changing the melody to add color is fine…but you still have to be on pitch within those changes. i agree with you, sha.

4. Sasha says:

OMG i felt like I’ve been waiting for forever.

Hahaha.

YAY…off to watch…2 PARTS!

5. Marko says:

Good season & the worst judging panel ever.

• sam says:

you fail to realize that the judges picked these singers to make it the best season ever.

• Marko says:

The casting was fine but the actual judging was terrible.

• Brigette says:

ACTUALLY, if you compare this year’s judging to last years ridiculous “everyone is perfect except Haley” fiasco, I thought the judging was, dare I say, good. (Almost said “great”– just couldn’t do it.)

• Owen says:

I would say you’re probably right, and Stephen seemed a (tiny) bit more engaged this year…

• JC says:

It is and consider the fact that J.lo gets $15 million for her dumb critiques

• tewence says:

agree, however they had some of the dumbest, double-standarded (i know that’s not a word), backwards, thoughtless critiques we have heard in a while.

• deedee says:

The judges don’t pick anyone — they are told by the producers who is going to be on the show. They try to make it look like they’re really “deliberating” over who to put through (especially in the Hollywood and Vegas rounds).

• macy says:

Did you witness that happening?

• deedee says:

You mean was I sitting in on the board meetings at the Idol offices? No Macy, it’s pretty clear who has power on this show. I think it was Paula (or maybe Kara?) who once admitted in an interview that she fought hard for a certain contestant, but ultimately had to acquiesce to the producers’ will. Producers have money at stake and will not leave major decisions to the lower rung.

• Mary B says:

It was Kara who said in an interview it is the producers who decide who will get through and yes she said they faught for this one contestant and couldn’t get her through. I read it too and I believe it.

• deedee says:

Ah, thanks Mary B. Yes, it was Kara who said this after she was let go. I totally believe it. During the auditions, we see the judges reading from notes as the contestants come in. They know ahead of time what’s what.

• teatime says:

@Marko you got that right. “Good season & the wost judging panel ever.” Idology is correct in pointing out the talent was really good this season and everyone had their own unique individual style.The judging was hackneyed and biased.

6. Annie says:

Season 11 had one of the best casts ever, at least when we got to the top 10, but by that point, the producers had already ruined the season. With a strong lineup of female contestants like Erika, Jessica, Skyler, Hollie and even Elise, why spend so much time showing people fainting, getting sick, or made up drama among the male contestants? Or giving airtime to people like Reed Grimm, who had no chance of being voted into the top 10 by the public. AI shortchanges the female contestants on airtime every year, so it’s no wonder that we can’t get a female winner. The guys are given a chance to show off their personalities, while the girls are pounded into robots, and expected to perform on stilts, I mean in heels.

that brings me to one of the reasons the season was off, this cast had so many people who could be relevant to the current music scene, so why not give them songs that they could sing. Why does it seem like only Phillip was allowed to sing songs in his genre every week, while someone like Jessica was forced to change in order to try and make her into what a small part of the AI audience likes to see. Why did she start off the season with more personality and confidence than she had when the season was over. Seeing people sing songs that fit who they are is a lot more fun than watching the opposite.

• tewence says:

interesting thoughts, i like!

• jen34 says:

Good observation,,,, I was watching Jessica’s performances on the first few weeks and she had that confidence and swag but slowly diminished as the show progressed…. I guess being so young and surrounded by people who gave her mixed feedbacks and advices affected her in standing for who she really is… And the judges,,, OMG! They built her up so much from the start by giving her never-ending compliments instead of giving her critiques that could help her in her next performances,,, then only to bring her down in the end where it counted the most… That last critique she received on that last song definitely tore her down.

• Annie says:

Great cast, but yeah, there is still room for improvement on how they portray the female contestants, and song choices! Phillip really got lucky on that front.

• Eric says:

Excellent critique. I found myself watching “Love You I Do” from the semifinals and she definitely had this swag (hate that word but it fits). I think you hit on the nail, regardless of how good she was, she was probably to young to deal with massive pile of voices, and I say this as someone who wanted Jessica to win.

I honestly think they need to raise the age limit, if they decide to limit the voting, because few of these teens are emotionally mature (Allison being the standard, Thia being the worst case)..

However, if they don’t change the voting then a teenage contestant is the only way for a girl to win, though honestly CHANGE THE VOTING

• deedee says:

Oh, thank you, Eric! Another person who hates the word “swag”.Makes me effing insane. It’s “swagger” … shortening it to “swag” reminds me of Randy Jackson’s abbreviations, like: “false” for falsetto, or “the whole nine” leaving out the word “yards”. Besides, isn’t “swag” the word for those free gifts that celebrities when attending events?

• Sha says:

I was watching Love You I Do the other day as well. She definitely had swagger. It made me sad that she didn’t have more upbeat, kick-ass performances like that. Her confidence seemed to get lost after Turn the Beat around

• My Alter Ego says:

Agree about the annoying popularity of the word “swag,” and also agree that Jessica seemed quite confident that night! (Or, at least, when she sang. In the beginning, I was always a bit uncomfortable with Jessica’s reaction to the judges praise. That didn’t seem very “real’ to me.)

*********

Sort of reminds me of what the judges did to Lauren Alaina the year before (not that Lauren had a Jessica voice, by any means). But it is curious how the judges have found ways, intentional or otherwise, to undermine the confidence of the younger female contestants in the past two years. Perhaps, it all really can be attributed to their youth.

• elr says:

I like how you think and agree with you wholeheartedly. I would also add that having a male mentor might not be doing the girls any favors, maybe they would do better with a female giving them advice.

• chistosa says:

But what “fit” for Jessica was power diva ballads. Many people like to hear one once in awhile but not as a steady diet. She made questionable song choices. And how soon we forget that Phillip made some poor song choices as well and was chastised for it by the judges and by Jimmy. And what personality did Phillip, Colton or even Joshua ever show? I saw a lot of Skylar’s personality and Hollie’s as well. And perhaps her higher level of confidence at the beginning was due to over the top praise from the judges and the shaking of her confidence came when she was actually voted off and remained only by the save. Exactly how was Jessica forced to change? I saw no such thing. Actually, she was the one who changed the least from day one to the end.

• Owen says:

Okay, before this too becomes revisionist history, Jessica only sand a handful of power ballads, WAY less than Hollie. Toward the end she did do more, but she also did up tunes like “Love You I Do”, “Bohemian Rhapsody” etc…she could DO diva power ballads, it was a strength, but it was FAR from all she did.

• Suggestor says:

Nope. The turn was when Steven Tyler told her to stick to ballads after TURN THE BEAT AROUND. That was just a bad week of horrible options from her birth year. So the show’s vocal coaches are not really the swagger types, they are Katherine McPhee’s mother who is great for that style but not seeing her as someone who could relate to the type of music Jessica was coming in with at the outset. Recall Jessica’s early interviews, she was stating she wanted to offer a different genre, but they would not let her. You could literally see her pull back week after week. It took Jennifer Holliday to let her know that its okay to let it all go just like she knew it was way back in the beginning. Thank you Jennifer Holliday!!!

• macy says:

But that’s just it — Phillip was not “allowed to sing songs in his genre” every week (implying that he was allowed certain freedoms that the other contestants were not). He just was successful in taking a song of any given genre and making it his style. As someone mentioned above, he put his stamp on it.

• Marianne says:

There is the school of thought that Phillip’s “changing-up” and putting his “stamp on it” really meant that he sang said songs in such a way that made them “fit” his limited vocal range. In other words, he made them mono-toned.

• Suggestor says:

EXCELLENT comments Annie!! I stated a similar thing about how Jessica was such a fiery force in the beginning and then the Idol machine started to force its own agenda on her. I would trade in all the Reed Grimm back story to see Jessica’s audition songs.

7. sam says:

Thanks so much for giving Jessica Props, I’m happy for Philip as well. My dream finale two from the beginning was Jessica and colton, but Philip and Hollie were runner ups. Philip btw, has her surgery today if i’m not mistaken.

8. Yay! says:

Jessica!! but I love Phillip too. I’m still happy she didn’t win. She got a better contract than Phillip though.

• gailer says:

No true! Major pay cut for Jessica? Article out today, her contract may be cut to 30k from 175k. Google it, American Idol, Seattle pi.

• chistosa says:

You might want to verify the source that provided that tidbit to you.

9. Kristi says:

All in all, a great season! So many talented people. I’m very happy for Phillip, and of course Jessica is super talented (along with everyone left after Heejun was eliminated) By the way, loved the “footage unavailable” quote in regards to Christina and Chris’ duet :D

10. marie says:

YES to both Michael’s and Melinda’s suggestions for next season! And thank you for another totally enjoyable season of Idology.

• noa says:

i would add that Randy should be shot (or at least get fired).

• elr says:

Please make this happen (the at least get fired). The show is unwatchable to me because of the judges. Get a whole new panel next season.

• Owen says:

I think Randy’s contract is up this year, right? I’m assuming his standing ovations and over-excited Phillip pimping was due to that fact that Nigel wanted Phillip to win and Randy was being a good dawg..

• Mary B says:

Nigel clearly stated his favorite was Joshua and that’s who got all the standing O’s not Phillip. When Philip sang Disease Randy was quite cruel to him. so please enough with all this conspiracy bull.

• Templar says:

Replace Randy with Richie Sambora, [musician/singer/songwriter, fun, hip guy] and replace Jlo with Shania Twain.

• Brigette says:

DITTO! Also, I think they should ban those horrible Ford Commercials, but I know it will never happen…

11. Josh says:

This show is WGWG idol!! Im sick of the same winner every year when superior talent like Crystal Adam Jessica Hollie Josh and Skylar lose to inferior talent like Phillip and Lee there is something wrong i liked kris but Adam was better. Crystal was way better than Lee.

• Marsaili says:

That’s the people who are voting, though–you can’t put that on Idol. Adam sunk his own boat, I don’t know why people didn’t like Crystal, I will never understand that. This season, the talent was all so good—that every week we lost someone worthy of the Idol crown. People prefer Phillip, though–that’s not the fault of the show or the American public—his music is what people want to listen to over Jessica’s. No conspiracies, no “people are getting it wrong”—if someone likes one singer over the other there isn’t any wrong in that, it just is what it is.

• Owen says:

Dear Marsali: “his music is what people want to listen to over Jessica’s.” ?????????
        No. that is not true. It may not be a conspiracy, but little girls and older cat ladies vote for the WGWG and then they never buy their music (except for Scotty)! You seem basically intelligent so I’m guessing you know this HAS to be a contributing factor, yet you lie and pretend that is not the case. All your other WGWG’s losing their record deals is proof (as of this moment Kris has his, but with how poorly his CD will probably do, he’s soon gone from 19). And why do you care so much??? Does it un-validate your support if Phillip doesn’t become a major success in the music business. He won. Why is that not good enough for you? So a bunch of cougars and tiny tweens voted for him to make him American Idol in name only. Why is that so bad?

• Mary B says:

What is bad is people like you who make woman out to be dribbling idiots only caring about there lust for a young boy. Shame on you. You have absolutely no class at all. Most men I know prefer Phillips music so tell me what does that make them????????

• Marsaili says:

Because Owen, just because the words cougars and teeny boppers come off your fingertips, doesn’t make it true. I would have been happy if Phillip or Jessica or Joshua or Elise or Skylar won. But why do YOU care so much to be denigrating people and their voting, dismissing Philip and his talent. Dismissing pretty much anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Because I AM a woman of the age you speak of–and I DO like Phillip for his music (I don’t fantasize about boys who are the same age as my sons) my husband preferred him over all other other contestants and my teenaged boys preferred him after Colton and Elise were voted off. And pretty much everyone I know preferred him to Jessica—and not because they are a cougar or a teenybopper. So I know you are wrong—and I think it is childish and mean to say the nasty crap that you and others of your ilk say to dismiss the fact that people like Phillip for his music. The proof is on iTunes. You can’t dismiss the facts. You have spent this weeks on this board along with some choice other nasty people—just spreading hate and nastiness about Phillip, about his fans and about the people who voted for him. Yes, people prefer to hear his music more than Jessica’s—the proof is in the vote. And the iTunes downloads where many of his songs are charting and only one of Jessica’s is charting and it’s been that way since the finale. Losing a record deal with 19 isn’t that big of a deal—especially when they are destroying Idols by making them put out records that aren’t them. Cook will get picked up by some other company—I have faith in that—I’m not gonna make statements out of my ass just to support my opinion (like many of you do so much of the time). If a former Idol is able to make a living with their music, they are successful. Period. All the WGWG are making good livings for themselves and I think Phillip will have even more success than the others.

• Tara says:

People didn’t like Crystal because she was a tattooed unwed mother, and she did think she was all that with her rug and her mic stand. Like Jessica with her stupid Bebe Chez BS, people don’t like that.

• Marsaili says:

Wow. I guess you didn’t like Crystal, huh? The rug and the mic stand were to help calm her nerves when she performed in front of people—not anything to make her “all that”. Jessica is just being like her Idol—she’s a kid, nothing wrong with that, either. LIghten up, Tara–no need to be so intense.

• J. May says:

Yes, Crystal was a tattooed unwed mother, much like you are judgemental holier than thou shrew.

• Marsaili says:

Yes, there is a lot of that going around this year! I don’t care if Crystal had tattoos (so did Carly Smithson and she was the sweetest person ever!) and it isn’t my place to judge her weddedness or lack thereof—I just thought she was an AWESOME singer/songwriter. That’s what I care about, can they sing, do they sound good (to me) and will/would I buy their album. I leave the judging the personal lives to the higher powers.

• karenb says:

FYI, Owen, I bought ALL of Phillip’s songs and I am absolutely going to buy his CD when it comes out. There.

• tarc says:

Phillip entered the Billboard single chart at #2 this week with home, with a(n Idol) record 278,000 in sales (since Soundscan started tracking during season 2), and more than a week later, Home is still number 7 on the iTunes Top 200 singles chart. So, in fact, that music DOES sell. Second, you ignore the facts that most of the Idol contestants that get signed do not retain their recording contracts, and even those with good or modest success still phase out. It’s a tough biz, and mostly for the young. There are only a handful of Idol contestants that retained a contract more than 3-4 years; it;s not ‘WGWG’ or whatever nonsense you’re pushing, but the nature of what happens i the business.

12. sam says:

did you know that jessica didn’t know about that superb duet until the day before and it was just hours before she knew she was gonna sing I will always love you.

13. tewence says:

the best idology yet! fantastic critique….melinda nailed it on the head about the jennifer/jessica duet. MAJOR MOMENT!

i have to say i was a bit surprised that nothing more was said about the jLo overload. ay yi yi.

14. two J's all the way says:

I can’t wait until I have time to watch this two parter :)

15. caminogen says:

I’m really glad Phillip won. For me. Jessica and Joshua represent the two things I hate most: being screamed at and being preached to.

• J. May says:

Neither one of them preached anything. I would say that that particular honor fell to Colton. As for screaming…it’s called singing.

• deedee says:

I agree. Only Colton felt it his duty to convert the masses. Joshua was just being his preacher-kid self, singing his Churchy soul out … and I never once felt ‘ministered to’ by him. Believe me, if I felt that, I’d have hated him, lol.

• caminogen says:

No, it was screaming and screeching. The whole churchiness of the tone and that type of singing gives me hives

• MellyMel says:

Take some Benadryl and wash it down with some taste.

• J. May says:

Testify, heffuh! ;) I loved Joshua’s style, as well as Fantasia’s.

• tarc says:

Not liking gospel is the epitome of taste, IMHO. There isn’t a soul on Earth that needs to be preached at. Sorry. I like Joshua, and I’d buy his stuff if it was secular and controlled, but I’ll forever pass on the gospel (and the screechy-screamy stuff).

• Ella says:

It’s not a churchiness tone. It’s called soul. Many of our wonderful african americans have this background. I’m a white girl but I give much props to our black american heritage. It’s different but rich passionate and beautiful.

• deedee says:

It’s soul that is influenced by the way they sing in church. I don’t always love that style (don’t care for Fantasia, for example), but it works with Josh’s tone perfectly. I can listen to the Phone Book Song all day, lol.

• tarc says:

It’s called gospel; there are plenty of very, very soulful styles of music that sound nothing like the music performed in shouthern baptist churches.

• deedee says:

Joshua doesn’t preach, IMHO. I don’t need to be preached at, and if I felt he was preaching at me, I would react very badly. But I have no problem with anyone expressing their soul – even if it is heavily influenced by their faith. There is a line, and for me, Joshua doesn’t cross it. Colton crossed it, which is why I couldn’t stand him.

16. gailer says:

I haven’t seen Jessica on iTunes Top 100 chart, thus, Philip was the correct winner

• noa says:

that might be more because of the song than the singer though.

• chistosa says:

Of course it is about the songs, power diva ballads that nobody wants to buy. The same problem she had during the competition. She sang songs that allowed her to showcase her amazing voice but not appeal to music buyers. One of the reasons she lost.

• Brigette says:

She’s there– I looked last night. Phillip is ahead of her, but they are both really high up there.

• chistosa says:

On the album he is number 2 and she is 25. On the top 200 singles, he is at 6, 76, 93 and 160. She does not appear at all. If selling music is a criterion, the right contestant won.

• JC says:

Correction Jessica’s album is at no. 14 yesterday it was at no. 9. The real battle begins after their official debut album is released we will see who could sell the most internationally not just in the USA (where Phillip will sell obviously) I still believe that Jessica will outsell Phillip in the long run especially when worldwide sales are counted :)

• Andrea says:

What line did Colton cross exactly?? Having faith is a great thing!

17. Rollin'Stoned says:

Jason: Loved the Dan Harmon’s Community……..

18. gailer says:

#slezakgoingtohell LOL, Michael, you are a good guy! And I agree, PP really raised his game the last few weeks of Idol. He wasn’t my original pick, but in the end I was thrilled he won.

19. Karen says:

Thanks for the hilarious (and agreeable most of the time) recaps :) Now, where are those contestant interviews? Feel like I haven’t seen one since Elise

20. noa says:

1. thank you Jason for finishing this season of Idology with Elise.
    2. thank you Jason for this: “Dan Harmon’s Community”. how true.
    3. thank you Jason in general for making me happy. you won this season of Idol for me (tied with Queen Elise, Hot Random Guitar Player and She Bangs- last 2 names are the creations of Annie Barrett. i take no credit.)

as for you Michael- thanks for helping us deal with another season of injustice and stupidity from the judges. i now know what it’s like to have a different favorite than you, and the truth is, it made me feel alone. cause when you can’t count on the production, the judges or the voting public, i was always able to count on you. not this time! i hope we can repair our relationship next year. actually, i hope next year i go back to not caring as much. my heart will forever belong to Elise.

all 3 of you are great. you were funny as hell!

shout out to all the wonderful Elites on the TVline Message boards that helped this idoloonie-friendless girl pass the season. find me on twitter!

21. Ashly says:

Love Idology! Even if I don’t watch American Idol, I always watch Idology. Love the shout out to Dan Harmon’s Community (especially since it will no longer be that).

22. Mary B says:

Thank you Michael and Melinda for a great Idology. I really enjoyed both you guys this year though I did not always agree but that is what makes the world go round. I am thrilled with Phillips win. I feel he really deserved it. I play his music all the time and I’ve introduced it to others who also loved it. Jessica and Joshua were also amazing but Phillip’s music is more of what I like to listen to. I think they all will have terrific careers and I pray the idol machine steer them in the right direction.
    I also send my prayers out to Phillip who according to the news is being operated on today. Hopefully all goes well and he will be ready for the tour in July.

• Robin says:

I couldn’t have said it any better Mary B! Had a party at my house over the holiday weekend and we were playing Phillips music all night. Best of luck to all season 11 contestants…will be looking forward to music from Colton, Elise and Skylar too! Speedy recovery Phillip…I have my Idols tour tickets!!!

• Mary B says:

I did an experiment because of all the stuff I read on this blog claiming Phillip has no talent and he only won because he is a cute white guy who plays a guitar. I played all the season 11 music and it was for people who did not watch idol and does not even know what anyone looks like. It was just the music. Well it was Phillip they wanted to hear and they really liked his music. Volcano was a favorite. Everyone thought Jessica has a beautiful voice but is too generic and not something you want to listen to all night. It really made me feel alot better on my judgement. I chose Phillip as my favorite only after playing the music on my ipod. I found his music is what I much perfered listening too for any amount of time.

• Robin says:

He was my favorite from the begining, but I also liked Elise, Colton, Skylar, Jen Hirsch and some others. For me it was song choice. I loved the songs he chose to sing each week. I have all his Itunes recordings and to me it’s like having my own Phillip Phillips album already.

23. Jon says:

I love the attempt at a British accent!

24. MA says:

Well done! Totally agree with the suggestions for changes. Both would go a long way to making the show a lot better. Till next year!

let’s fire Randy!

• tewence says:

as blasphemous as this may sound, i would rather get rid of jlo first! (i heard she may not be back). but randy has lost all ability to actually critique since simon left.

• MA says:

Amen! Get rid of them both!

• deedee says:

But what would we do without Randy and his incorrect use of “air quotes”? I, personally, would keep Randy because he’s so much fun to poke fun at. I’d ditch JLO and Steven in favour of Shania Twain and Gene Simmons. I know, I know, Gene can be an ass, but at least he’s brutally honest!

• Sha says:

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it but why not have two female judges and either Randy or Steven (or a new male judge as well). Someone mellow like Shania Twain and (please don’t hate me, I’m a fan:p) someone frank like xtina. But I guess if a woman can’t even win anymore, there’s no chance another one will be added to the panel….
        and I don’t mean mostly nonsensical Kara or “I thought it was great!” Ellen

25. John says:

Season : ‘American Idol’ winner : REAL WINNER

1 : Kelly Clarkson : Kelly Clarkson
    2 : Ruben Studdard : Clay Aiken
    3 : Fantasia Barrino : Jennifer Hudson
    4 : Carrie Underwood : Carrie Underwood
    5 : Taylor Hicks : Chris Daughtry
    6 : Jordin Sparks : Jordin Sparks
    7 : David Cook : David Cook
    8 : Kris Allen : Adam Lambert
    9 : Lee Dewyze : Crystal Bowersox
    10 : Scotty McCreery : Scotty McCreery
    11 : Lee DeWyze, oh Phillip Phillips sorry : WE’LL SEE!!!

this is from EW.com, no?
      i think we’ll see with time that Haley was the real winner of season 10. at least that’s what my ipod is saying while playing her truly great first album. first of many?

• jcs says:

way to just copy this from EW and make it seem like you came up with it. The EW list wasn’t about who should have won, it was more about who has been the most successful since, and there is a difference. I liked Daughtry and Yamin on season 5 (my favorite season) but you can’t deny Hicks was pretty damn solid every week and had a ton of charisma.

• bjp says:

Gotta correct you there on #10 – Haley Reinhart!!!

• tarc says:

The real winner was the person that won; your personal tatse is immaterial. It’s always a cr_pshoot after the show – winning only gets you so far, and getting or writing great material is the next big obstacle.

• noa says:

he copied the list from EW. what they were comparing was financial success and album sales, not personal taste.

• tarc says:

Ah, sorry, though the last line was clearly not copied from EW. Plus, I’d expect quotations and mention of the citation… but hey, that would only make sense when copying someone elses’ work. I’ll also mention that the DeWyze-Bowersox pairing is nearly a draw (both much lower than I ever expected), but I’m guessing that 19 didn’t want either on their roster, so did little to help. It will be interesting to see if Haley out performs Scotty – at least in the short term.

• Name That Tune says:

Well there’s another way to look at this.
      1. Kelly Clarkson – white girl, pure singer
      2. Ruben Studdard – black man, pure singer, Clay Aiken, white man, pure singer
      3. Fantasia Barrino – black woman, pure singer, Jennifer Hudson, black woman pure singer
      4. Carrie Underwook – white woman, pure singer,
      5. Taylor Hicks – white guy, plays guitar (but not during his season), Chris Daughtry – white guy plays guitar (but not during his season).
      6. Jordin Sparks – black woman, pure singer.
      7. David Cook – white guy who plays guitar
      8. Kris Allen – white guy who plays guitar, Adam Lambert – pure singer
      9. Lee DeWyze – white guy who plays guitar, Crystal Bowersox, white girl who plays guitar
      10. Scotty McCreery – white guy who plays guitar
      11. Phillip Phillips – white guy who plays guitar.

If you look at the data, there was a lot more diversity in the type of winner before Season 7. Not just in skin color, but in type of artist. The first six seasons produced a different type of artist, but Season 5 was a precursor of the things to come.
      ————————————
      What is true, and has been mentioned in the many post-finale analyses, is that WGWGs are not getting radio play any more. Even with the push from Idol, radio stations aren’t playing P2 or David Cook or Kris Allen or Lee DeWyze. I’m not sure even MTV is all that important any more. The likelihood that any of these guys is going to become a MONEY-MAKING star is small. Which means they have to find some other way to market themselves – iTunes, YouTube, etc. Given how fragmented the digital market is, it’s unlikely that any of these talent shows, including Idol will produce a major star again.

• Marsaili says:

I don’t know where you live, but here in the Akron/Cleveland area, David Cook and Kris Allen are played on the radio all the time. I haven’t heard Phillip yet, but I’m not sure where he’s gonna get played–on pop radio? Rock radio? Country radio? Where is he? I listen to country or classic rock or mix–yesterday and today radio—and some current rock—but I haven’t heard him yet.

• Name That Tune says:

Marsaili – you’re assuming that people listen to the radio. I don’t & I commute at least 2 hours a day. When I have my car radio on, I listen to Sports Talk. But there are other digital media that I can run on my car – like an iPod or mp3 player. But for my really long drives, I’m just as likely to pop in a video file from my netbook (hooks into my car speakers) and listen to one of my favorite TV shows or movies.
          ————————–
          It’s not 21st century to listen to the radio anymore. People get there music and video content from other sources.

• tarc says:

1) Everyone makes most of the money touring these days – the album sales are down for everyone, and the company takes heavy cuts. 2) Radio is nealy irrelevant with the music buying public, who use internet services that tailor their playlists or they download and construct their own programming. I’ll point out that Kris and David are now 4-5 years into a pop career – which is about all that most people ever get. 3) Also, I’ll point out that there are a LOT of ways to look at this information, so it’s not alwaysa good idea to pick and choose what serves your purposes. I’ll point out that this year’s Top 13 included: 2 black men (usually underrepesented), 1 Pacific Islander (new) (and one of PI descent), 2 of Latin heritage, 1 of Asian descent, and all of them had completely different styles, several of which would NEVER have appeared in a Cowell Idol season.

• Name That Tune says:

That has been true in other seasons, too. Think season 10. It still was the WGWG who won.

• Marsaili says:

I don’t believe for one second that radio is irrelevant. I listen to it all the time–I don’t have all those gadgets in my car—most people I know don’t—the most I can do is use a wireless thingy to connect my ipod to the radio—but we don’t even do that all the time. Radio stations here are very popular, involved in concerts and community activities—radio is just as important as ever—not everyone has mp3 players and ipods and all that stuff. My husband has an ipod, I load it up for him all the time, but he still listens to the radio. I’m in the car chauffering my kids around half the day, we always have the radio on—an it’s the same for most people I know. sure, I can listen to my stuff, but I still like to listen to the radio.

• Name That Tune says:

Check out the teens. It’s iPods, mp3 players, smart phones that access the Internet. All mobile devices. It’s a digital world, becoming more so every day. The idea that touring bands make more money makes a lot of sense. If I can CHOOSE my playlist and take it with me wherever I go, then you’ve got to reach me. If it ain’t on the Internet, then it better be at a local club or auditorium that features bands – which we have at least 2 of in my city.

• Andrea says:

Adam Lambert was a pure singer and Kris not? You really got that one backwards hun! Kris Allen may not scream his notes but his range and very pure voice is far superior to Adam Lamberts. Alot of those you mentioned as wgwg are pure singers. Talent is not about all the riffs and high notes you can belt out. And you CAN be a white man AND have talent!

• Veyna Moran says:

oh, puhleeeez! melinda doolittle virtually had a show-of-the-week on season 6. it was practically a melinda doolittle show that year. she should have taken the crown!!!

26. two J's all the way says:

The official AI youtube videos of the finalist duets has PP2 and John F at around 118K, and Jessica and J. Holiday at 1.7 million, which I have added like 40 views. I agree this was the performance of the season and Jennifer Holiday pushed Jessica to what she can be.

• tewence says:

i have watched it over and over again. i was already in disbelief that they got jennifer holliday there to perform, then they actually sang…wow! if i wasn’t holding my newborn at the time, i woulda been all over the place. love love love! and of course that duet got more views, it was far superior.

• Brigette says:

I wish Jennifer Holiday had been making growl faces at Jessica all season long. Do you think she would have won? LOL!

27. CAM says:

Thank you Michael and Melinda! One thing I hope won’t change next year is Idology. I am hoping you’ll both be back as you make a fantastic team. Looking forward to the rest of the contestant interviews, especially Skylar!

28. Liz says:

I didn’t watch season 11, but is it even possible to beat season 5 with Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry, and Kellie Pickler?

• tewence says:

well, i would think anybody could beat kellie pickler lol! just my opinion. ;) but i agree that season 5 was a good one.

• Brigette says:

Agree season 5 was good. Also loved season 10, aside from the judging.

• Vivi says:

Season 5 was my favorite season and, in my opinion, the best season of the series. Now that Season 11 is over, I’ll put that in the #2 spot. #3 goes to Season 7. #4 Season 8. And…I don’t care about the rest.

29. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I thought last season won out for overall awesomeness (killer singers + adorable bonding among the cast), but Season 11 beats it in both talent and lovability. I am so ridiculously excited for this year’s tour and am even a bit disappointed that Shannon and Jeremy won’t be on it.
    I heard about Jessica’s new contract, and it’s a real bummer, but I am confident that she will have an album in the works by the end of this year, and I will wait for it. In the meantime, get well soon Phillip (after the surgery), and good luck to all of this year’s finalists in the real world!
    Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go Master Blaster my Song for You like Gunpowder and Lead because I have a Whole Lotta Love for these singers and I bought Everything and I will take The Climb all the way Home, I’m not mad about Phillip winning because It’s a Man Man Man’s World (Believe in You and Me?), and I Will Always Love…Gah! I’ve been listening to these for too long!

30. tewence says:

also, did anyone else find the sparks and confetti a little awkward with a song like “home”? perhaps a more intimate setting would have been more appropriate.

• Robin says:

I could have cared less about the confetti once Phillip started to breakdown…I was done. That was such a heartbreaking moment.

31. stripetg says:

Phillip and Jessica? Who cares? Idology had Shephard and Tali!!

32. two J's all the way says:

This is the first time I will actually go to the Idol’s live tour because over all this was a good cast of contestants.

33. deedee says:

Michael and Melinda,
    Thank you for a another amazing season of Idol armchair analysis. And thanks to Jason for the hilarious input (how do you find the perfect clips so fast??)
    Over the years, I have generally agreed with your favourites and it has always been fun rooting for the underdogs along with you, especially: Allison, Haley, Josh, Elise, & Skylar. I LOVE your passion for this show, and how seriously you take it. Half the fun of Idol is reading your dead-on, super-intelligent reviews, and sharing it all with equally crazed fans.
    Cannot wait for your interview with Josh! Can you get Melinda in on it via satellite? I’d KILL to hear them sing a few bars together! You can do it, Michael. Make it happen! ;)
    Great season! Thanks again.

• My Alter Ego says:

“Cannot wait for your interview with Josh! Can you get Melinda in on it via satellite? I’d KILL to hear them sing a few bars together! You can do it, Michael. Make it happen!”

Oh, my!! What an excellent idea!

Overall, I’d say ditto to your entire post above, but, oh, my! Josh and Melinda jammin’ together!?! Oh, oh, oh, my! (Yes, I realize that it probably sounds as though I’ve been listening [up] to Haley’s new CD — to which, I will have to plead guilty!)

34. JVC says:

Despite P2’s win, I can’t be mad at him. Unlike lee dewyze, he didn’t choke on finale night, great winner single, and got better since top 4 after hitting rock bottom top 5. Who i can blame is the production and judges, especially J. Lo. You’re right slezak, that comment that J. Lo said after round 2 showed why girls can’t win idol. They didn’t give jessica better material. Rock chicks can’t get a break (look at juliet simms on the voice). The country girl skylar got dumped after top 5. But still this was fantastic season so i better enjoy the moments. Because sadly to say this, season 12 will pale in comparison. All seasons that are multiples of 3 have not been great. But only time will tell.

• deedee says:

I honestly think that since they know who’s selling on itunes and who’s killing in the votes, the show has to make the inevitable winner look like the right one. So, even if they originally wanted Jessica to win, they knew by the finale that she was nowhere near capable of beating P2, who was running away with the title no matter what he did onstage. They had to give Phillip a better coronation song, and they HAD to lob some weird critiques at Jessica just to make her runner-up status seem justified. I mean – “The Prayer” was probably her best performance all season (both in Vegas and in the finale), so for JLO to say what she said? It was obviously fake and scripted.
      Now, good thing P2 picked it up in the last 3 weeks because if he had won after a mediocre final sprint, it would have been a total wtf confetti shower. And I believe he would have won even if all his performances were “Time of the Season” level. So, all turned out fine in the end.

• tewence says:

truth. although i wouldn’t give jennifer the benefit of a scripted comment. she can be pretty dumb sometimes.

• deedee says:

LOL, but she has made some astute comments, too. I don’t think JLo is stupid, really – just a little to self-promoting for my liking.

• tewence says:

i will agree that “self-promoting” is a better term for it. and you are right, she did make some good comments. i just have trouble taking her seriously. :/

• noa says:

i totally agree about P2. i’m really thankful that he stepped it up in top 4 night. made it harder to be upset about another WGWG (WGWSS!).

• Sheila says:

Oh no I think Randy Jackson’s spirit has channeled my body. The last two weeks PP2 seriously stepped up his game and realized he was “in it to win it. PP could sing the phonebook and make it his own”. Yo dawg, for me, for you out of the final 2, PP was the better performer.

• chistosa says:

I agree about the ITunes comment. The voting public is not made aware of the ranking of the weekly studio recordings but TPTB are. I’m sure that skews how they perceive the competition and provides a small insight into what viewers are buying. But as far as the coronation song, Jessica chose hers as Phillip did his. They were presented several from which to choose. Of course I do not know that the others on her list were any better but she did select the one she sang. And we must not forget that above all this is about money and making money for the Idol machine, for Interscope records and from advertisers (thus ratings) and if Itunes figures point out a potential leader in money race, it has to influence how they see things.

• jen34 says:

Phillip said in an interview that he didn’t get to choose… He wanted to sing a song that he had written but they gave him “Home” which was perfect for his style/genre. However, in an interview by Jimmy Iovine, he said that Jessica’s selection of songs didn’t have the R&B / pop flavor that fit her. So they chose the best song that had the best melody which is “Change Nothing”. They even had to adjust the song to make it sound more R&B. But Jessica really wanted to sing a Prince’s song “How come you don’t call me anymore” but it was not cleared. So Phillip just got lucky and Jessica was not….

• Mary B says:

True Phillip, really did not get a chance to choose. He wanted to play his own music but there was just not enough time. Jessica did choose, I think from 4 songs. Such an important thing for these kids which could make or break their chances. Why wouldn’t they have something in place sooner. They had to know after top 4 what the possibilities of who top two were. Phillip only saw got the song Home like two or three days before. I am sure the same is true with Jessica. Don’t you think by the time there is the top 4 they should start planning on what the songs will be sung. Not real good planning if you asked me and though I am very happy with a Phillip win, he was my choice. I think that song she sang was the nail in her coffin and solidified Phillip’s win. Not real fair .

• tarc says:

I though Juliette was easily the best of that show, but rock is out, out, out. There are a lot of fator involved in public voting.

35. jcs says:

Thanks, Michael and Melinda, great job as usual and I’m already looking forward to next year. Regarding best season ever…I still like #5 (Hicks, McFee, Yamin, Daughtry, etc), and there was no J-Lo. I do admit that this season was probably the deepest in talent, but it wasn’t my favorite talent, and there was way too many props on stage. Idol, ditch the trees, and the park benches, and the swings, candles, etc.

36. RD says:

Okay so PP has the ‘singer songwriter vibe’,but really it remains to be seen and heard if he can actually write a decent song.So far he’s taken songs from other singer songwriters that have generally been ‘under the radar’.A smart move,but time will tell.I can’t help but be skeptical.

• Katie says:

I agree with this so much. I know so many guys who can play guitar and sing decently, and their original material is awful. I don’t understand why people assume he can write a good song just because he can play guitar?

• check out HAZEL on youtube. it’s his own creation and i must say it’s a very good song. Not for the mainstream, exactly as he wishes. Straight from the heart and sincere.

• tewence says:

eek! i just listened to it…i won’t judge him off of this one song, but it definitely is not something that will make it on his album. :/ perhaps he has better things that haven’t been made public yet.

• deedee says:

Not bad. Better than many of his Idol performances. This kind of stuff might fly on country radio, no? There’s a little bit of an alt-country-rock sound to it. He’s definitely niche, so I’m sure he’ll do well with a core following.

• tarc says:

Good material is always the problem with evey artist – hit songs are obviously hard to write. I think that people that can write their own material have a leg up inh both writing and choosing great ones. Of course, there are people like Britney, who can’t really sing more than 6 notes, but is pure genius at selecting songs to record.

• He even sang HAZEL, his own song, at a local tv show, before he was accepted into AI. Honestly his original song is something that i would listen and buy, that is my kind of music. And he clearly stated, he’d rather sell 10 000 copies from his album, but to be his own creations, sincere and to be proud of them, than to sell millions and feel like he can’t relate to them.

• Name That Tune says:

‘American Idol’ Already Belongs To Phillip Phillips| MTV.com ‘

———————

This was written January 16, 2012.

37. nielsbohr says:

i still can’t believe Michael just called Jennifer ‘skank’. Haha.

• Scout says:

…and that is why I love him.

• noa says:

in front of Melinda!!! Slezak- you are hilarious.

• Eric says:

Slezak, every Idoloonie thanks you for that. Is it possible to hate JLO more than Randy? I think by sheer virture of trying to undo the feminist movement singlehandly means that she’s replaced Randy.

For you guys, who was worse: Randy or JLo?

• Sha says:

jlo. She saw Jessica do that before? I saw her shake her ass before, don’t hear me complaining (I change the channel at these parts). Michael only echoed what everyone else was thinking.

As self-centered as Randy may be, at least he has some musical success to show for it (even if he collaborated with Mariah and Journey a century ago). Plus, it’s too fun making fun of him every season! “The Great Michael Jackson”

38. Scout says:

Awesome. Not 1, but 2 videos. Thanks for the great work, Micheal and Melinda. You made the season great :) Cheers.

PS – my one change would be to get rid of JLo. I know she is not dumb, but she always sounds like she is prowling the show for her next boy toy instead of judging contestants – regardless of their penis status.

39. James K says:

I am SAD. Not because Phillip won, not because Jessica lost. I am sad that this is Idology’s LAST episode for the year. I sure am gonna miss your show, Michael and Melinda. Are you guys gonna do weekly reviews for X-Factor? ;)

40. Karen says:

I’ve LOVED Idology this season. PLEASE bring Melinda back for next year. Even if I didn’t watch Idol, I’d watch Idology!

41. noa says:

things that should have been discussed in this episode but weren’t:
    1. no duet for Elise, even though Aerosmith performed and she’s been going around saying her dream is to do a duet with Steven, just plain mean. towards her and us- who would have like to see Elise get to sing at least more than Jeremy (who i like, but come on.).
    2. THE PROPOSAL! how can you say there was no stupid in the finale??

• Kitty says:

On a superficial note, I thought Elise was smoking hot in that sparkly dress.

Elise was SO effing robbed.

(I must confess to loving the proposal. I’m a sucker for moments like that.)

• noa says:

haha! in an odd way it makes me feel better that you liked it. i was thinking “who the hell would want to see THAT?!”. now i know :)
        —-

Elise really looked hot in that dress. she also sounded great on a DISCO song. is there anything that woman can’t do??

• noa says:

oh! did you see i tried to get you a mention from Elise? didn’t work yet, but we’ll get there…

• Kitty says:

I didn’t necessarily want to see it, I’m just a sucker.

And yes, I did see that! Thank you! I’m going to try again later today–record my cover of “One And Only” and send her the link. I think the best performances are the ones where you’re just completely enthralled and entranced, and “One And Only” was the first song I heard her sing and she had me at “you’ve been on my mind…”

Elise restored my passion for music. I will never shut up about her ever.

• noa says:

that’s an amazing thing to say! i’m sure she read you tweets and loved them, just hasn’t had the chance to reply to you yet. good luck with One and Only :)

• Sha says:

Those spahkaly (Hollie) dresses on the girls were stunning! I WANT!
        except for maybe Erika’s…

42. Thorne Brook says:

I wish this episode of Idology was longer! But I love that it ends on a positive note, and I totally agree with the level of talent this season. Excited to hear more material from these contestants. Hope you three get some well-deserved rest.

I get exhausted just thinking of everyone having to go through this process again next year. Sometimes, I wish Idol was once every two years instead of once a year.

Also, HI SHEPARD. <3 Thank you so much for an extra few seconds of Mass Effect, totally made my day!

43. James K says:

It’d be awesome if Slezak and Melinda get a spot each in the judging table. These two are always spot-on with their observations and feedbacks in Idology. Now time to get rid of the old dawg and that biased biatch and make way for these two!

44. Casey says:

These videos are the highlight of my Mondays! Please, please do some Realite throughout the summer/fall, Slezak!

45. rob says:

I liked the victory of Philip, but I prefer the Colton

46. karenb says:

Yes, I’ll be back next season, Slezak. Especially since you came to your senses about Philliip. ;)

47. Eric says:

Screw the idol finale, I got misty watching this.

HUGE THANKS to Michael and Melinda for some hilarious commentary, and for Jason Averett for taking this amazing commentary and producing something that elevated it further through your editing magic.

And, to Jason, Thank you from all Elites for supporting Elise all season.

48. Made says:

Thanks for doing this, Michael and Melinda! Though I not always agree with your comments, I respect your opinions. AND you really, really make me laugh sometimes, lol. This is one of those moments I don’t agree with you on many things you’ve said and I was particularly surprised you didn’t mention the absence of an Elise duet in the finale. As far as I recall, 6th place finishers have had duets in the last seasons. Did we have to watch performances from Rihanna and JLO AGAIN???? Couldn’t they make more time for the audience to watch their season favourite’s one more time? Having said that, you redeemed yourselves by ending this last episode by implying Elise will get out great music (which she will) and with Elise’s growl. So thanks for that too :)

• Eric says:

I think she’ll get a contract from a smaller label and make music that will amaze us. Personally I think Elise would do better on a smaller label. She’ll really be able to make an album that’s her then. So excited for her music

• noa says:

me too! and you’re right- a good small label who would give her creative freedom. for once, i hope the show WILL let her go, because i don’t see 19 and interscope as the right choice for Elise. Eric, have you been listening to her original songs on youtube and reverbnation? she has some amazing stuff!

• MA says:

I can’t imagine that they want her…do you think? She just seems way too fully formed to be appealing to Jimmy and co. So they’re bound to let her go eventually. I’m just hoping they don’t hold the option for ages and jerk her around. I wonder if she can perform live in the interim. The ins and outs of contracts like this always intrigue me because it’s often amazing what the contract holder can get away with.
          ***
          Eric, I totally agree with you. Small label, creative control. I’d really like to see what Elise can put together on her own.

• noa says:

i think in they will let her go pretty quickly. i can only hope! Elise and the show fell out of love with each other a while back.

• deedee says:

I think they usually let the idols know by the end of tour. Would be unfair to hold them back no reason.

• Eric says:

I listened to “Still We Try” which I loved. As long as she incorporates the elements that she wanted (i.e Jazz, Blues, and definitely a little of Funk”) and mixes up the tempo. Add some soul and that is one album I will hunt down Predator style to try and buy

• Made says:

I also agree that a contract with a smaller label that really believes in Elise’s music and give her creative control is the best for her. As far as I know, only the winner has a guaranteed contract from 19 et al. And I don’t think they’ll give one to Elise from the way they treated her in the finale. Their loss, I say.

49. lovesickheroine says:

…If talents like Jessica, Joshua, Skylar and Elise can’t break the WGWG reign then we’ll be expecting another WGWG will be winning next season

…I agree that the production is undercutting Jessica with the song choices. Probably they wanted a WGWG to win because their target audience are the teeny boppers. Ugh im sick of this show. Last time i watched AI was back in Season 3 and I won’t be watching it ever again. I’m done bitches.

…I’m still mad that there’s still no news on whether Jessica got a record deal whereas Joshua and obviously Phillip already got signed. SMH

…Anyway Thank you Slezak and Ms. Doolittle for making American Idol season 11 exciting to watch!

• deedee says:

There is no official word on Joshua yet. He did write something on his personal facebook about signing a “huge deal” , but that was taken down within hours, and we haven’t heard anything since. Meanwhile, both Phillip and Jessica have artist profile pages on Interscope’s website. Plus, Tommy Mottola’s wife tweeted that Tommy will be working with Jessica. So, I’d say – don’t worry, she’s all set.

50. Tahoe Mike says:

I think what Tyrion said summed up my feelings about the outcome of this season.
    ~
    When is the Skylar interview comming out?????