TVLine Items: Homeland Spies Tim Guinee, Regis Q&As Letterman, Pan Am Revival Talk and More!

Tim Guinee, who as of late has recurred on The Good Wife, has booked a role on Showtime’s Homeland, TVLine has confirmed.

Details on Guinee’s character, as well as his episode count, thus far are filed as “top secret,” though we’ll remind you that the show was looking to cast Brody’s chief of staff, so perhaps they don’t want to broadcast that the war vet’s run for Congress is a success.

RELATED | Early Intel on Homeland Season 2: Will Carrie Go Rogue? Plus: The New Threat to Brody

Homeland Season 2 premieres Sept. 30. Guinee also can be seen this fall on the NBC’s new post-apocalyptic drama Revolution, from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Talk about a double whammy! Piers Morgan Tonight exec producer Jonathan Wald has announced via Twitter that Regis Philbin will fill in for the eponymous talk show host next Tuesday, May 29, and that his guest will be none other than bestie David Letterman — who rarely does sit-down interviews.

• Pan Am is the latest ill-fated series hit with revival rumors. Per our sister site Deadline, Sony Pictures TV (which produces the axed ABC drama) is in very early talks with Amazon about picking up the retro drama. The question is:  Do you hope to see the show once again take flight? Hit the comments!

RELATED | 2012 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

• FLOTUS Michelle Obama will make her second trip to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Tuesday, May 29.

• True Blood co-executive producer Mark Hudis has been tapped to succeed Alan Ball as showrunner come (the inevitable) Season 6, Deadline reports. Ball announced in February his plan to step down after Season 5, which bows Sunday, June 10.

RELATED | True Blood: Major Spoilers on the Season 5 Premiere and Beyond!

• Big-screen badass Samuel L. Jackson will host the 2012 BET Awards, airing live on July 1. Don Cheadle (House of Lies), Common (Hell on Wheels), Idris Elba (Luther), Taraji P. Henson (Person of Interest) and Regina King (Southland) are among the nominees.

• Joan Rivers will guest-star as Jane’s subconscious in two episodes of Drop Dead Diva‘s upcoming season (premiering June 3), EW.com reports.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Daisy says:

Is there a series Tim Guinee hasn’t guest starred in? I think he’s been in almost every show I watch, and now Homeland too.

2. Kalee says:

Pan Am possibly on Amazon? Interesting…

If nothing else, it would be great to the series back for its beautiful costume and art design.

• Rachel says:

Yes, Kalee! Totally agree. And if it fails, Kelli Garner needs to find a home somewhere! She’s amazing.

• ben says:

I would really love to see more Pan Am – provided Amazon then bring out DVDs of their seasons too. It is quite interesting, I wonder what kind of budget and production values they could bring to it. Pan Am (along with Awake and the Finder) were inevitable and understandable but sad cancellations for me, so would gladly see any of them revived, if the production values were right.

3. Sian says:

Great news to hear about Pan Am, I’d love for it to come back :)

• nicky says:

Same here. The show was different from all other shows out there. And the cast was amazing. I would love to see the years that come after, see the characters deal with the changing times.

• Melosm says:

Agreed. Loved Pan Am

4. lorna says:

I’d prefer a Ringer revival! Seriously, the show definitely improved. SMG gave WB/UPN 7 years, they could give the show another chance, esp. since its ratings were bettrer than other shows, i.e. Gossip Girl

• Jon says:

Even though I’m sure RINGER was axed due to the fact that it was serialized and maybe just a little too out of the age bracket the CW caters too, and also because of the ratings, I’m almost POSITIVE that the final decision came when SMG announced her pregnancy. There’s absolutely no way they could have pulled that off, especially since one of her characters had just had a child. That, I’m pretty sure, was the deciding factor.

• Summer says:

To be fair, though, when Tina Fey became pregnant, and when Amy Poehler did, their respective shows did find ways around it, whether it was by a later start or a shortened season. Ringer could have done the same, had they wanted to.

• guest says:

But why would they bend over backwards for a show that wasn’t making them money? Furthermore the work SMG did for UPN/WB has no leverage on the CW since the president of the CW wasn’t working for either network at the time and I really don’t think a parade should be thrown in her honor for being good at her job. That’s kind of why she was paid the big bucks for those 7 years. What’s next? A standing ovation for the bus driver cause he’s always on time?

• lorna says:

No need to be rude ‘guest.’ Idk if her pregnancy had anything to do with it. And there ARE ways to work around a pregnancy..It’s a shame cause it was different from the other crap (minus vd,spn and most of oth] on the network. hart of dixe? ewww hicks. but i do love rachel bilson.

5. Robin says:

I would love for pan am to come back. But Christina Ricci needs more to do and the spy storyline would have to be dropped or made out better. It killed the show off me.

6. Marty says:

I actually really wanted Raelle Tucker to be showrunner. I love the episodes she writes.

7. Caro says:

YES I’d love to see Pan Am return! I hope Sony can make it work

8. Would be interested in having Pan Am back.

Poor Tim Guinee. The guy is great, but all he ever does is guest star! Guy needs a regular show.

• TMW says:

Guinee was one of the actors who screen tested for the role of ADA Michael Cutter on LAW & ORDER. The other finalists were Loren Dean, Elias Koteas and Linus Roache, who ended up with the role.

9. cjeffery7 says:

i enjoyed Pan Am very much and would love to see it return, but let’s be real, it’s gonna need a little bit of a overhaul to become mainstream and popular. i think it can be done, it just depends on if someone out there is willing to do the work, and if the price is right. that being said, tv resurrections are highly highly highly unlikely.

• TMW says:

So true, cjeffrey7. There’s talk that UNFORGETTABLE could get picked up, too, but it’s way too expensive to pick up and produce elsewhere. COUGARTOWN is another story and will probably be the only network show to continue elsewhere.

10. martina says:

Pan Am has one of the best emsembles that I’ve ever seen on TV! The cast has a lot of chemestry and it would be a shame to break it apart!
    Hopefully someone picks the show up, the show was good and it had a lot of potential!

11. Stacy says:

Pan Am! Come back! My favourite new show. I really hope someone picks it up, I’d love a second season.

12. Mere says:

I would love to see Pan Am stay on the air. I was very upset at its cancellation.

13. Betty says:

I was hoping that another network would pick up The Finder. I really enjoyed it.

14. Kevin in CT says:

It would be great to see Pan Am get up & flying again!

15. TessK says:

I would LOVE to see PanAm come back!! I really think it just needs some time to develop the characters/plots.

16. dlferriola says:

I liked PanAm and found their episodes interesting giving us some insight into that era. I would watch it on another network.

17. Danielle H says:

YES to Pan Am!!! Won’t pay for it per episode though if that’s how Amazon does it… lol. I feel guilty enough for paying for HBO for True Blood 3 mths a yr.

18. Romi says:

I agree with all the positive comments re Pan Am and would love to see it return.

19. I know my sister really liked Pan Am (she made it appointment viewing!) and I enjoyed it when I watched it. I hope it does find a home somewhere else, it was definitely a fun little show.

20. Bree says:

BRING PAN AM BACK!!!! The plot was a breath of fresh air and I am BEYOND annoyed with all the reality shows/dating shows/talent shows. Pan Am (as well as Playboy Club) took big risks with their storylines and I for one would tune in if it were revived! At least a final season so that there is a proper series finale. I hate when they give you one season without giving you propoer finale and wrapping up the storylines!

21. Frank Dracman says:

I would love to see Pan Am return in some form. I am totally in lust with Kelly Garner, but I was really into the story lines and all the spy games.

22. I just hope TIm Guinee goes against his usual character type and plays “good guy” this time. At least when it comes to his guest starring on a lot of the shows I watch, he usually starts off as a seemingly mild-mannered nice guy before turning out to be a truly twisted – but mild-mannered – bad guy :)

When it comes to shows to save, I really want someone to save The Secret Circle. It’s a silly bit of dark fluff, but it’s a really fun show and I had a great time watching it last season!

23. Lana G. says:

Would love to see PanAm brought back. That was one of my favorite DVR’d programs every week. Was very sad to see it cancelled. Yay, revival!

24. Diz says:

I liked Pan Am, but then they got away from the actual planes and it wasn’t as good as it was in the beginning.

25. Tara J. says:

I would LOVE to have Pan Am back on! BRING IT BACK!!

26. Ali says:

Yes! Bring Pan Am back. I would love that.

27. ASchu says:

Would love to see Pan Am back! People never gave it a chance, but really such a solid show.

28. bad kevin says:

It sucks to bring Pan Am back ’cause the ratings were CW-like and I don’t know how Tim Guinee would fare in Season Two of Homeland even if his gig on NBC’s new series Revolution is going to survive depending on whether he ends up as a “series regular” during much of Season One.

29. GeeMa says:

Love Tim Guinee. I will sometimes watch a show just because he is a guest actor. He needs his own show.

• Kat says:

Look up “Strange World” — it was a great show and Tim Guinee was the star. I miss Tim Guinee having his own show!

30. xoxojk says:

Pan Am coming back would be amahzing!!!!

31. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

If any axed show of the season should be picked up, I feel it should be The Finder. But Pan Am was decent too, at least it gave a good look at the time period.

32. Olivia says:

What is amazon? Is that a cable station? (Sorry for the silly question, I dont live in the US)

33. flutiefan says:

i’d love to have PanAm back in any form. the cast was terrific. and i have a girl-crush on Kelli Garner!

34. John DeMayo says:

Awake. Seriously. Someone HAS to pick that up.

35. jennifer says:

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes to Pan Am returning. The show was fantastic, I loved how they dealy with the times and what was going on, and the cast was fantastic.

36. Chris says:

Bringing back that dud Pan Am is a horrible idea. It was a bad show and doesn’t deserve more episodes.

37. Lorena says:

I love Pan Am please bring it back

38. Ella says:

I wouldn’t mind revisiting Pan Am, if only for Dean and Collette.

39. Lauren says:

Someone revive The Secret Circle! I’m still upset it got cancelled when it was getting soooo good…

• Bree says:

I loved The Secret Circle as well! I serisouly can’t believe they renewed America’s Next Top Model (vomit) over The Ringer and The Secret Circle. Hell they could even cancel 90210 (WHICH HAS GONE DOWN IN QUALITY).

40. changshafu says:

Give me back my Vogel and Vaneese ! Bring back PAN AM!!!!

41. Britta Unfiltered says:

Pan Am isn’t worth Amazon’s high online rental prices. Though no movies or shows are worth their prices to me.
    I’m having a dilemma with myself over whether or not to keep reading TVLine’s spoilers on Homeland. I desperately love that show, but it’s the kind of show you’re cheating yourself with if you get spoilers beforehand. Casting news isn’t really a big deal, but I’m not sure I want to know plot twists, storylines, or future characters….hmmm.
    TVLine writers, if I may request, if you ever do give Homeland spoilers, please make sure the article headline states that it contains Homeland spoilers. I’m worried I’ll accidentally stumble upon one because I won’t know it’s hidden inside another article.

42. Meems says:

Depending on the price, I would definitely pay a little extra if it meant being able to continue watching Pan Am. It was a lovely show.

43. Dr. Chameleon says:

I thought Pan Am was okay, but I won’t seek it out if it returns online (Michael Mosley was much better on 30 Rock!). What I would really love to see continue is Alcatraz, but it didn’t seem to develop much of a following, sadly.

44. Darla says: