True Blood: Major Spoilers on the Season 5 Premiere and Beyond!

True BloodHBO has released lengthy descriptions of the first three episodes of True Blood‘s fifth season, and they contain some juicy spoilers about Christopher Meloni’s legendary vamp, Tara’s shooting, the return of Russell Edgington and much more!

Needless to say, read at your own risk!

SUNDAY, JUNE 10 “Turn! Turn! Turn!”
Sookie (Anna Paquin) and Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) struggle with the aftermath of Tara’s (Rutina Wesley) shooting, while also cleaning up after Debbie Pelt. Meanwhile, Bill (Stephen Moyer) and Eric (Alexander Skarsgård), cleaning up a mess of their own, are visited by the Vampire Authority, one of whom is Nora (Lucy Griffiths), a woman from Eric’s past. In search of the missing Marcus, Alcide’s (Joe Manganiello) werewolf pack comes after Sam (Sam Trammell). With Bill away, Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) enjoys her new freedom by partying with local college kids; Jason (Ryan Kwanten) is visited by the recently turned Rev. Steve Newlin (Michael McMillian); Terry’s (Todd Lowe) PTSD is reignited by Patrick Devins (Scott Foley), an old Iraq War buddy; and Alcide turns up at Sookie’s to warn her about the recently resurfaced Russell Edgington (Denis O’Hare).

SUNDAY, JUNE 17 “Authority Always Wins”
At the Vampire Authority headquarters in New Orleans, Bill and Eric meet Salome (Valentina Cervi) and become acquainted with the Authority’s interrogation techniques. Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) recalls her human life as the madam of the Comstock Brothel in San Francisco, and her first encounter with Eric. Werewolves J.D. (Louis Herthum) and Rikki (Kelly Overton) pay tribute to Marcus, but Alcide refuses to participate or take his rightful place as the new packmaster. Martha Bozeman (Dale Dickey) shows up wanting to see her granddaughter, causing conflict for Sam and Luna (Janina Gavankar). Fearing Russell’s return, Sookie procures a home-protection system; Arlene (Carrie Preston) tries to get to the bottom of Terry’s erratic behavior; Steve Newlin stops by with an offer for Jessica; and Jason feels the brunt of his womanizing ways.

SUNDAY, JUNE 24 “Whatever I Am, You Made Me”
Bill and Eric barter for their lives with the Authority Chancellors and their leader, Roman (Christopher Meloni). Salome and Roman enlist a new ally in the face of Russell’s return. Sookie goes to Fangtasia to ask for help from Pam, who is still caught up in her memories of Eric and the strange murders at the Comstock Brothel. Andy’s dalliance with Holly (Lauren Bowles) comes back to bite him in the butt; later, he’s visited by Gordon (Steve Rankin) and Barbara Pelt (Linda Purl), who are searching for Debbie. Jason bumps into an old high school teacher, but their reunion brings up conflicting feelings.

1. Kelly Glynn says:

Does this mean tara is really dead? I sure hope so, she ruins it for me!

• aleksa says:

The episode is called “Turn, Turn, Turn”. I’m betting that’s a hint.

• Lo says:

That’s entirely possible but assuming she could survive a shotgun shell to the head long enough for a vamp to turn her, who would have been close enough to do it? Bill and Eric seem busy according to the synopsis, as does Jessica, and Pam… well, we all know what Pam’s reaction to the situation would be. So while it would be an interesting twist, it would be stretching credulity to its breaking point.

• It isn’t really a question of whether she does or doesn’t become a vamp; she does. And it’s Pam who does it.

• DL says:

This has always been my theory. Besides if Tara was dead I’m sure there would be a funeral somewhere in those descriptions.

• aleksa says:

This is my guess, too. My guess is that she won’t be all there (no pun intended) after the turning. I think the author did something similar in the books with the “Bubba” character.

• Mandy Hayes says:

You are all forgetting that Lafayette was in the house, just upstairs, plenty close to run down and offer some assistance to his darling cousin. And, since we are still quite in the dark about just exactly what his powers are we do know that he saved Jesus during the “I Wish I Was the Moon” episode. Alan Ball has said time and again that Tara will NOT be a supernatural so, perhaps, Lafayette can save her without “turning” her into anything! Just an idea.

• FormerFan says:

Ball also said he would keep the fundamentals of the books and the characters in canon. That totally did not happen and since when is a writer above deny something to keep people guessing and coming back?

• Russ says:

I go back and forth on if I want her to be a vampire or just die. If she is a vampire I hope she becomes good friends with Pam and they cause all sort of trouble.

• Stephanie says:

Well, she’s listed in every episode on IMDB. I’m assuming she’s not gone.

• hasbeenmuse says:

Really?

2. aleksa says:

Can’t wait to see Pam’s backstory, finally.

3. Brie says:

Rutina Weasley is credited on imdb as being in just as many episodes as the other main characters (so far, just four episodes are listed). Whether she is in those episodes as a ghost or a vampire or what, I don’t know. Any absence of her name in the above episode descriptions might just be so as not to spoil anything for viewers.

4. Todd says:

keep in mind that Sookie is connected to both Bill and Eric….. “Somebody help me” was screamed loud enough to wake the dead….

• Dizzle says:

Yes but she made it very clear to them in the episode that she did not want to have that connection anymore. I doubt Bill and Eric will be coming to her rescue, this season looks very much like Bill and Eric will pair up without Sookie coming between them.

• hasbeenmuse says:

The promos point to Bill and Eric being caught as they run out to help Sookie. Either Pam shows up to turn Tara or LaFayette and Sookie heal her. My money is on Pam turning Tara.

5. I read some place that Tara is coming back later in season 5 :)

• hasbeenmuse says:

She “resurfaces” in episode 2. Sookie looks for her in episode 3.

Episode 5.02 – Authority Always Wins
      Tara resurfaces in Bon Temps; Pam recalls her human life and first encounter with Eric; Bill and Eric meet Salome at the Vampire Authority headquarters. (Written by Mark Hudis; directed by Michael Lehmann.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, V, N] ESP Playdates: 17, 20, 21 and 23

Episode 5.03 – Whatever I Am, You Made Me
      Bill and Eric barter for their lives with Roman, the head of the Authority; Jason reunites with his old high school teacher; Sookie searches for Tara. (Written by Raelle Tucker; directed by David Petrarca.) (TV-MA) [AC, AL, V, N] ESP Playdates: 24, 27, 28 and 30

6. anthonynewhall says:

After Pam’s breakdown and her clear knowledge of Tara hating vampires, she’d probably think it a clever punishment for her. I mean, she’s thinking of when she was turned, so I assume she’s turned someone. I hope, with Tara being a lesbian/bisexual woman now, and Pam being a lesbian, I’m sure their relationship could blossom into something great.

• Dark Defender says:

I think Eric will command Pam to save her (as pennance) b/c Pam wanted Tara dead long ago and was stopped by Bill . She will do pretty much anything to get back in Eric’s good graces. Eric has already told her she needs to be a maker… it will provide hot dreams between Tara and Pam (which will be funny b/c they hate each other) and they will end up together as a badass couple. Good thing Tara got in shape before she turned!! :)

7. taim says:

the whole bromance is just horrible the writers so desperately try to make bill equal to eric, who is like 5 times older than bill and constantly shove him down our throats… and he is not even attractive…

and its well known already that pam is turning tara.. because ball wants to stick his favourite with Eric from now on …. stupid…

• Mandy Hayes says:

Are you kidding? The bromance between Bill and Eric is completely believable and a marvelous storyline! Stephen Moyer as Bill makes it entirely believable that, while Eric is older and more powerful, he is smart and more deliberate – thereby making the playing field more even between them. The only thing that could ruin this bromance is if that awful Alcide gets involved. Terrible, boring character with absolutely no place to go in the plot. Please, this was meant to be a show about VAMPIRES not werewolves. Just because those terribly written and immature books of Charlaine Harris contain werewolves doesn’t mean Alan Ball should muck up the show with them. Focus on the tension between Bill, Sookie, and Eric – that’s all you need.

• Julie says:

Agree with you about the “bromance” but NOT about keeping it just Bill, Sookie and Eric. I would be bored to tears if that happened. How often can we watch that, I mean really? I would need a lot more than that. The show may not follow the books much anymore but they’re still keeping the basic characters from the book. The show was not meant to be just about vampires.

• Amanda says:

You are an awful person. How could you say that her books are terribly written and immature? True Blood is BASED on the Sookie Stackhouse book series. I absolutely love her books. Try reading them first because the show wouldn’t exist without them. The bromance is a no go, what a god awful storyline. You need other focuses other than Sookie, Bill and Eric. I’m glad Alcide is on the show because Joe Manganiello is gorgeous, and he’s an important character; nowhere near boring. Why would Alcide ruin any bromance, when he works for Eric and is good friends with him?

…Exactly. Season 5 is directionless, and so far disappointing; however, I’m not giving up on it just yet. I hate Tara as a vampire and wish they would have killed her off the show. Too many people are changing at once, and it’s almost too much for us viewers to handle at once.

• lillie says:

What are you smoking ? I bet you didn`t even read the books. Since MS Harris created these characters and the world of BON TEMPS how in the world can you say werewolves do not belong. The story is about the entire SUPE world. grow up and stop hating.

8. Honestly, is Tara being kept on the show?
    Count me out then.
    Everything else about series 5 sounded good, but I can’t stand her – I stopped watching in series 4 over the amount of screen time devoted to her & the with rubbish.
    Just focus on the damn vampires for once.

• Kurenai says:

Bye then, TB doesn’t need viewers who only watch for the vampires, that’s only half of what this show is about. And if that’s what you’re watching for, you’re doing an half-ass job of paying attention to the show.

9. I love Tara and think Rutina Wesley is a gifted actress. I hope she’s a vampire and gets to have fun with the new unlife and cause trouble for everyone.

10. Oh, and notice the title of the first episode, “TURN, TURN, TURN”. Could be telling us all we need to know about Tara.

11. Emma Boreham says:

Do anyone know when season five will be back in the UK? I think Tara’s TURN could bring something quite interesting to the storyline as long as she’s not too miserable about it. 😉

12. Reblogged this on Eric Eric Eric and commented:
    Really looking forward to the emphasis on the Authority! And love that the story of Pam’s turning by Eric is going to take a couple of episodes to spin out.

13. asfandancer says:

Some of it sounds good some not so much. I loved Tara in the first season, she was so bad ass. Then AB and company who seem incapable of understanding women turned her into a sniveling whining constant victim and her character went to pot, not the actresses fault. As far as the wolves go, I would like to form a hunting party and eliminate them all.

• Kurenai says:

Oh yes b/c talking about your problems mean you’re whining. Never mind she has right to rant and rave if she wants.

14. Luna600 says:

If any of you have read the books you would know Tara doesn’t die she leaves and comes back gets married and has twins. And as for Jason he is supposed to be a wereleapord already so they are not following the books or even using to books as guidance so for me the show sucks and needs to be removed!!!!!!!!

• Shaun says:

Don’t mean they are going that way….

• Ginger says:

Actually Jason is werepanther, not leapord… and if they were following the books lafayette would have died a long time ago and there wouldn’t have been a Jesus… Clearly not following the books. I’m not even sure the authority is in the books at all… at least not dramatically.

• tb says:

It’s written leopard people…

15. She’s also a very minor character in the books as well, Luna.
    And Jason becomes part Were Panther, which I always felt was kinda lame.

Still, they’ve said many a time that they were changing things from the books, but the comments here is the first I’ve heard that Tara is Ball’s favourite character.

The only time she was interesting to me was at the start of last series when she was suddenly doing MMA & being hardcore. Then she went back to being a whining stereotype character within a couple of episodes.

I don’t blame the actress, you can only work with what you’re given.

16. Ginger says:

I’ve never liked Tara’s character in the show. In the books she’s alright, but her part is much smaller. I think her acting sucks too.

• Kurenai says:

Your think the character’s acting sucks. I think you mean the actress in which case that’s a personal preference and your going over the line of bashing.

17. Julie says:

Last season really bummed me out. I just didn’t enjoy it. I recently watched all the episodes again hoping they would grow on me… but they really didn’t. I couldn’t stand how fast Sookie and Eric got together, it just didn’t feel believable to me. The fairies were in the first episodes and then dropped all together until randomly at the end with Andy. Then to have Eric killing Claudine…. I just couldn’t get into it. The entire season just felt like a different show. I hope season 5 is better. I’m curious about Steve Newlin being a vampire now and Russell coming back.

18. NCSouthernBelle says:

Will June 10th EVER get here? The wait between TB seasons is almost too much to bear!

19. Sue says:

I’m really tired of ppl complaining bout not following the books so what boo hoo so wat they may cum up with there own ideas to make it a MORE interesting tv show
    If u don’t like it stop watching n stop crying bout Tia true fan would watch no matter what
    Love true blood always will also another thing not every person who watches the show read the books so yes
    Ok I’m done with my rant

• asfandancer says:

While I love the books far more then the TV show, of course I would I’m a reader first and foremost, I’m not complaining about the show not following the books. I enjoy TB for what it is, but I complain bitterly when I view something I don’t like which is my right without being told to not watch if I don’t agree with aspects of the show. My major complaints are the lack of continuity with many of the characters.

• Amanda says:

1- people* about* what* come* their* you* and*
      2- who is Tia? (you most likely meant Tara)
      3- it’s not necessarily complaining if they’re not happy with some of the storylines because a lot of the storylines are irrelevant, and serve no purpose what-so-ever, and often creates more confusion for some of the viewers.

20. Dee says:

Ok. That decides it. Not watching this season.

21. Ashley says:

I hope Tara is dead. And before everyone comes screaming and raving at me let me explain. First off the character is really annoying, so yes in the first place I hate the character. But Tara hates vampires. Why would she want to be one? She would probably rather die and be a ghost or whatever than become a vampire. So even if she was turned by some magical power she would probably be really pissed and become even more annoying.

• hasbeenmuse says:

You must have missed the part where she was shot in the head. I don’t think she’s able to make a choice or voice what she wants.

• Amanda says:

yeah, she was shot in the head, so when she was turned there should have been a gaping hole in her head from the bullet because that’s how she looked when she was turned. technically speaking, it was too late to turn Tara because she had lost a significant amount of blood, and even if she did survive, she would have mild to severe brain damage because pieces of her brain were on Sookie and her kitchen floor.

22. ReBecca says:

I can’t wait for the Eric/Bill bromance…it’s going to he AwEsOmE. I also can’t wait to see what happens with Pam. Does anyone else think Newlin might turn Jason and use him as a slave (because even though Jason betrayed him, Jason was still one of his favorites and he would see it as befitting punishment to turn him)?? Jessica will probably sense his fear and get here just in the nick of time, however, to save him–bleh. I mean, I like Jessica and all…but if she manages to save Jason it’s just like with Tara, though, how people on this show get miraculously saved just in the nick of time always. I also wish they would quit with the whole Sookie love-triangle. It’s getting old so fast. She’d never be able to stay with a vampire or be one. She loves the sun too much!! Think about how she enjoys getting tans and spending time out in the day…she would be MISERABLE if she ever got turned. And she’s always finding new problems concerning vamps, so she really jut needs to move on and get with either Sam or Alcide or someone living. I read the Sookie love triangle would be recontinued mid-season and I’m not looking forward to it at all. I really hope thy have some Talbot flashbacks and I hope Jesus, even though he’s a spirit, gets as much screen time as possible. I’m still pissed they killed off Tommy–even if he was a little punk I understood where he was coming from and he truly just needed some love and understanding. If only Sam would have tried a little harder, maybe the end result wouldn’t have been so tragic:(

23. Stacy says:

I think Tara will be turned and Her and Pam will become close.