House Boss David Shore Answers Burning Finale Qs, Addresses Cuddy, Foreman, Kutner Mysteries

House Series FinaleAs of Monday’s finale, House is officially dead and buried — the show, not the title grump — and, in its wake, we’re left with eight years of memories and a dozen burning questions.

Now, the guy we have to thank for those memories, series creator David Shore, has volunteered to also solve — or at least address — the episode’s biggest mysteries.

So read on, then scroll down further for a photo gallery featuring highlights from last night’s swan song.

TVLINE | Was there ever a point where you thought about really killing him?
Yes. Everything was on the table. But it was considered for that long, partly because I want the series to live on. The idea of people thinking that House is dead is a weird thing to leave people with. It ultimately felt better to have him out there with Wilson doing who knows what. I thought that was a really nice thing to leave people with and to let them put their imprint on that in their own mind.

TVLINE | How did he manage to survive the floor collapsing in on him and the subsequent explosion?
It was supposed to be ambiguous as to whether the floor collapsed on him or in front of him; certainly it was nasty stuff. There are a few seconds between the collapse and the explosion. He narrowly got out the back.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview — Your Guide to All the New Shows

TVLINE | Was the homage to Sherlock Holmes famously faking his death intentional?
From the moment we had the idea, I was aware that that’s what Arthur Conan Doyle did and that did tickle me. We didn’t say, “That’s what Sherlock Holmes did — we should do that.”

TVLINE | Of all the cameos in the episode, which was the trickiest to coordinate/accommodate?
There were scheduling issues with everyone. It was very tricky. Because all of the actors had gone on and done really good stuff. My hat goes off to my old production crew for just physically putting that schedule together.

TVLINE | Is it fair to say that Stacy filled the Cuddy void in this episode?

MAY SWEEPS SCORECARD | Find Out Who Died, Got Hitched, Reunited, Split Up and More!

TVLINE | I really liked how you made a point of showing that Cameron ends up happy and fulfilled in her personal life. Did you ever consider reuniting her with Chase in the end?
No, because there would’ve been too much backstory to fill in.

TVLINE | How did the fire in the abandoned building start?
It’s actually alluded to. There was more about it in the original cut of the episode. There is a reference to the fact that the guy fell asleep while smoking. That’s how he got the burns on his chest. He presumably passed out while on heroin and dropped the cigarette and the fire started.

TVLINE | What was the deal with the gum Kutner put on the POTW’s shoe?
[Laughs] You shouldn’t read too much into that. That just seemed amusing to have a hallucination chewing gum and interacting with the real world.

TVLINE | Why did you choose “Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think)” for the final scene? Ever consider using “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” just to maintain the symmetry with the pilot?
We did consider that briefly. The Warren Zevon song that we used before it, I had wanted to use that; it just felt really nice. And then Hugh [Laurie] came to me one day while we were shooting [the episode] and said, “I have the perfect song for the final scene.” So I decided to stick two songs in there. We’re all about cutting against what people think we’re going to do. So going with this weird, uplifting song [about] dying had a really nice feeling to it.

FIRST PHOTO | Jesse Spencer in NBC’s New Drama Series Chicago Fire

TVLINE | In the final moments, Foreman finds House’s nametag under his wobbly table. Does he know House is alive?
The notion is that Foreman had pieced it together and figured it out.

TVLINE | Lastly, what do you picture House doing once Wilson is dead?
I don’t know. That’s way down the road. And that’s not what it was about. The story is the story. And the story ends when the story ends.

TVLINE | Can you see revisiting this character in the future in some way?
I love this character. And I know Hugh loves this character. I keep it open, but the chances of that happening from a practical point of view are slim. I would hate to lock in my head, “I will never revisit this character again.” That would be a depressing idea to me.

1. Shepherd says:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2. Jhon! says:

hey atleast it wasnt lupus, right? farewell House!

• Juancho says:

if I remember correctly lupus was only the real diagnosis once in the 8 year run, I think the one with the magician lol

• regivax says:

and the most funny thing is that when it WAS lupus they didnt mention it :D lol

• lothy says:

I could have sworn it was mentioned. Something along the lines of “For once, its an actual case of lupus.” Its been years since I’ve seen that episode.

• There was, think it was somewhere round series 3 or 4 they had a patient who had Lupus and throughout the whole episode House keeps denying it. :-)

• Matt says:

I was disappointed it wasn’t sarcoidosis. That was always the first thing ruled out. Would’ve been nice to get that just once.

• Karen says:

LOL. So I’m not the only one that picked up on that! I think they just liked saying Sarcoidosis :-)

• Susan says:

I have had sarcoidosis, so it was comical to me that in almost every case, they threw out that diagnosis. I, too, think they just liked to say the word.

• Bree says:

TOUCHÉ.
      God, but wouldn’t that have just been hilarious? If Wilson was diagnosed with lupus.. Or if HOUSE had lupus! Oh, dear..

3. Petra says:

I love love love that they brought back Stacy. She had such a huge impact on House, and I’m so glad that they recognized that and used it to their advantage.

• Emily says:

Sela Ward was such a nice surprise. Stacy just always seemed to “get” House more than Cuddy did. She really was the love of his life.

• Kelli grey says:

So where did Cuddy go I know she left after House crashed into her house, but where did she go?

• Nanna says:

Indeed. I did like Cuddy and House together but Stacy was obviously a much better match for him. He shared the kind of bond with Stacy he never managed to develop with Cuddy.

• GregHouse says:

She filled in for Cuddy as she wasn’t available.

• Brandy says:

Yes! I could never really buy house/cuddy (or house/Cameron, for that matter). House never looked at anyone the way he looked at Stacy. I’d always hoped we’d see her again.

• Jennifer says:

Agreed! That was my favorite return. I always thought Stacy was a more intergral part of his life than Cuddy.

4. Kristine says:

That actually helped fill in the voids and I enjoyed reading that. Thanks!

5. Sara says:

I hope Shore will stay away from House in the future. The man created and then destroyed my favourite show. Please Michael warn us on his future projects, so i’ll avoid to watch them, to get hooked and then see everything torn into pieces.

• Rich says:

There is a beginning and end to everything but God. I’m glad that this show never reduced itself strictly to the formula. I think if the story had gone on much longer it may have lost its edge. I will miss House a lot. But I am sure that I will manage to find something else to fill my Monday evenings.

6. pam says:

Definitely NOT one of the better series finales.

• dfreak says:

Then you clearly never were a fan of the show to begin with, so your opinion is baseless drivel.

• sams says:

So now opinions of people who are not “fans” are dismissed? Ever applied for a job as a dictator? LOL

• @sams says:

If you are not a fan what are you doing here?……………. (maybe to start the trolling).

• Rumor says:

Only fans can comment on stories about shows now?

• sams says:

Do I have to be a fan to watch or be interested in a tv show? I’ve probably seen all episodes of CSI and still don’t consider myself a fan.

• Judge says:

I think an opinion from someone who isn’t a fan should carry at least as much weight as someone who is. They wouldn’t give a pass to sub-par storylines the way a fan might.

• tired troll says:

Judge, you’re probably just trolling with that comment but FANS are the one’s least likely to ignore stuff they don’t like. In some ways they are the worst.
            Non-fans or struggling hacks just like to break down a show to display their marvelous acumen. They don’t have any reason whatsoever to note something as good or enjoyable. Even less so when they consider dirty FANS to be critically bereft, unlike all the genius non-fans in this thread.

• Laura says:

While I respect your opinion, I disagree. I thought it was VERY cleverly shot, written and acted. One of the best I’ve ever seen.

• Kim R says:

I agree. I thought it was so well thought out and it did not actually leave me with any unanswered questions at all, which I really like in a series finale. :)

• Brian says:

I agree too. You can tell that this finale was intentional and not forced or rushed. It ends with all of the characters moving forward and does not leave any threads dangling, but also leaves open the opportunity to come back to it.

• William Todd says:

Spot on!

• Bob says:

Totally agree – kudos to the writers and actors!

• I agree and I am a HUGE fan of this series, just finished watching all of the previous seasons in an insane marathon and from my point of view, this was a boring, cliche-filled finale.

• Starbuck says:

I agree with the ending being a bit clichéd. It seemed logical to me that a series about a deeply rational egocentric (but lovable) doctor ended in a more rational/ realistic way. Reality sucks, yes; but reality also means dealing with Wilson’s illness, which would also entail showing the audience more about their friendship during those 5 months. Because otherwise what’s the point of making Wilson ill in the 19th episode and making all that fuss about living or dying? Wilson’s character deserved, in my opinion, another Wilson-centered episode and it would have made sense if that episode was the last, even though House is the main character. We got to see lots of patients and co-workers die but not Wilson, and left with a sunny road in the end, it just doesn’t look like House. I feel like Wilson’s illness was underdeveloped, and that’s a shame because Robert is a great actor.

• mark says:

while i am a huge fan(never once missed an episode and own all seasons on disc) i have to agre, this episode seemed to fall short. it rode on the coattails of the “houses head” episode. really not a endind worthy of a spectacular series!

• pamlany says:

I watched every episode of the show from Season 1. The last episode deserved a lot better than what we got. Sorry all.

• Agreed – really weak excuse to shoehorn a bunch of cameos into a creaky plot. House goes in knowing exactly what his exit strategy is, no need to vacillate with his subconscious at all.

7. Tania says:

Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think) reminded me of when Amber sung that song in one of House’s hallucinations. He ended up going to the Psych Hospital at the end.

• imho says:

I am surprised David Shore did not mention this. I figured this was why they used that song – but in a different scenario than “I’m cooked and I know it’ – rather “I’m free!”.

• Giusy says:

I agree with you 100%! Maybe it wasn’t WHY they used it but still it fits perfectly!
        Amber’s version was REALLy creepy while this version was liberating…it’s like picturing an evolution of House…

Loved the finale
        Hated Lisa E/C not being there

8. NotMyBabyWilson says:

Loved the series finale and the retrospective. I cannot wait to see the House movie. I’m sure House will figure out a way to save Wilson.

• Rock Golf says:

I’ve seen a preview of the House movie. Here’s a synopsis:

It takes place 5 years after the end of the series. Wilson died years earlier, and House has quietly resumed his medical practice in Manhattan as a G.P. using the fake name “Donald Blake”. He goes on vacation to Norway, and while exploring caves, comes across an odd-looking hammer with writing on it. It reads “Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of THOR!”

• Jeff says:

You moron

• jeff says:

Lol. I thought that was hiliarious

• Tracy Murray says:

Actually , if there is such a movie , somebody from House’s past or someone who knows somebody from House’s past , and not necessarily a loved one , manages to track the doctor down , exposes his true identity to ” Donald Blake ” ‘s new colleagues and / or fiancee with physical evidence that person has stolen , whereby House has no choice , but to confess his sins shortly before the colleagues or fiancee phone the police . House manages to find an escape route , but suddenly finds himself back in 2004 Princeton , where he decides to change his past relationships with his colleagues with unexpected results , both wacky and dramatic . I doubt that will happen , but that will make make for a great piece of fanfiction , don’t you think ?

• very serious troll says:

You can’t use the words “great” and “fanfiction” together and expect to be taken seriously.

• Bob says:

Doctor Who?

9. TV Gord says:

People take TV shows SO seriously. Relax. Enjoy. If you don’t, stop watching. Don’t let it ruin your day. It’s only TV.

• Unguibus says:

I couldn’t agree more. I have said that many times on these boards. The show was pure diversion. If something isn’t fun, don’t do it. I am glad it ended when it did just so I don’t have to hear another person complain about it. Long live House. The fans will miss you.

• Aida says:

Yeah, you are right. House gave us a lot of episodes to enjoy through all these years.

• Agreed … that’s why I missed most of the two major “Huddy” seasons … too much soap opera, not enough HOUSE

• Brendan says:

I’m sorry sir, but you are attempting to be a voice of reason in an internet comment section, bein’ all “reasonable” and such. We don’t take kindly to that kind of behavior around here….

• me says:

my god finally someone sane !!! :)

• Me says:

True Dat! It is sad to see em go, looked forward to find ing a new episode on the DVR from time to time!

Good luck to the whole cast!

10. Todd says:

I liked the fact that Chase took over House’s job.

• RH says:

LOVED that! It tied in very nicely with his previous discussion of leaving for a lead job elsewhere. Intentional, I’m sure, and very well done!

11. Mel says:

Great questions! Thanks especially for asking him what he imagined House doing five months down the road when Wilson was dead, as that was my number one question, as well as about Cameron and Chase. I thought the last five minutes were perfect, and off-set the rest of the ep, which was rather sub-par.

• matttucker76 says:

“I thought the last five minutes were perfect, and off-set the rest of the ep, which was rather sub-par.” – Fully agree with this. The actual ending of the series was a great send-off but the episode was rather lacking. Thankfully, they had the superb retrospective to off-set the rest of the evening.

• Karen says:

Totally agree. Loved the ending;the send off. The rest was,I’m sorry to say, rather boring. That being said, I’m not disappointed at all that I watched it or how it ended.

• Emily says:

I think it was because we spent so much time in House’s head and very little time in PPTH. But taken into context, I loved the finale. It stayed true to the character and true to form. I don’t see much else they could’ve done that would’ve been better. Some say that House should’ve died, but that would’ve sparked just as many complaints as there are now. That’s just how it is. House finally chose Wilson over his identity as a puzzle-solving genius. Everybody lies, everybody dies, but people can change (although, of course House would be that selfishly selfless).

• kim says:

I so agree “House would be that selfishly selfless,” good point… I enjoyed it… Nothing is perfect and you Can Not satisfy everyone, someone will always complain…It ended with you not being all tied up with angry emotions… He chose Wilson, but he Chose to Not be there for his selfish reason as well, for Wilson’s last 5 months. if he actually dies in those 5 months. lol…

12. Josh says:

I kind of enjoyed the finally but I was expecting a lot better! And Lisa Edelstein not showing up was a bit of a disappointment. Farewell, House MD.

• Laura says:

Yes…they should have at LEAST made a *reference* to “Cuddy.” Perhaps someone at the memorial service saying, “Cuddy and her daughter were held up at the airport, but they’re on their way to the luncheon.” SOMETHING! She and “House” were too involved for her not to be even ADDRESSED. Other than that, I was very pleased how it ended.

• Emily says:

They did make a reference to Cuddy. Stacy said that she and Cuddy were not the only women who could love him.

• matttucker76 says:

I was thinking about this and I’m not sure it would’ve made much sense for Cuddy to come to the memorial. Appearing as one of House’s visions in the burning building would’ve fit, but I think it was safe to say that Cuddy completely wrote House out of her life to the point where she wrote off pretty much everything about her life and got out of there. His death or not, I think it felt right from a character standpoint that she wasn’t there. I could see her visiting a headstone or plaque (considering the body was cremated) at some point down the road, on her own terms.

13. Jules says:

I really loved HLaurie Swan Song retrospective..proof how he is respectful/greatful to everyone who worked on the series..and that ending with RSL was priceless… The only time I cringed was, when they show old (ssn6) interview of Edelstein..very awkward..bcuz Hugh did a very nice thing incluing a honest little segement of her character..too bad, and disrespecful she was declining to return..when JMorrison (and even Sela Ward..) managed to accept/rtn…
    Overall, was a great night.

• Anastasia says:

Unless you are part of TPTB or DS’ best friend, I doubt you know the real reason why she couldn’t come back for S8/the finale. I don’t believe she ever “declined” to return. All anyone has stated is that it just was not possible. Leave LE/Cuddy the F… alone already!

Regardless of your hatred for a TV show character, there’s a talented and much loved real person who played that role and did it beyond well for 7 years. She deserves some damn respect! If anything, she was one of the very few besides RSL that could hold her own on-screen against the amazing HL. And, if anything, that’s probably why people can’t stop mentioning her when they speak of House. Again, if you don’t know what happened personally don’t make comments that can make a real person/actress look bad!

• agsddk1 says:

I agree with you Anastasia! It’s unfortunate that some people can’t distinguish a character and an actress. The director said she wasn’t available. He DIDN’T say “Oh, she just couldn’t be bothered to show up.” Some people need to grow up.

• @Anastasia says:

“Unless you are part of TPTB or DS’ best friend, I doubt you know the real reason why she couldn’t come back for S8/the finale. I don’t believe she ever “declined” to return. All anyone has stated is that it just was not possible.”
        Hm, it was Aussielo who spilled the beans that she declined the invitation and David Shore + others are just being diplomatic about her absence in their Intw. what is in this situation the right thing to do. It is a doom-loop for them everything what they would say is wrong anyway. The only One who can explain the reasons for her absence is LE what she is refusing to do as reported by other journalists.
        “Regardless of your hatred for a TV show character, there’s a talented and much loved real person who played that role and did it beyond well for 7 years. She deserves some damn respect!”
        She did her part as well as the other characters on the show. She got just more media recognition because she was choosen to be Houses major love-interest which is more glamoureus and ppl are more interested in romances then other intellectuell relationships. The journalists are asking the Cuddy question because her exit is a mystery and they smell beef. Beef/gossip brings lot of hits on their sites. :)

Again she deserves not more respect than the other actors for her work on House what i do. But i don`t respect the way she managed her exit. House made her rich and kinda famous she could show some much-deserving respect to the show,the creators & actors too what she didn`t do at all, let alone the amount of disappointed fans who are still crying where is Cuddy,where is Cuddy? It was her decision who made them unhappy this time not the writers .

• rene says:

Why on earth would you need to be “DS’ best friend” to know why ‘Lisa Edelstein’ didn’t come back? She’s the one who should know. Why keep LE fans blaming DS for her decisions? She chose to not renew her contract, which was with was with NBC/U, and NOT with David Shore. He had no say in her negotiations, he’s an employee just like she was.

14. nikki says:

It was awesome that Sela Ward returned! Stacy was the (romantic) love of House’s life. She deserved to be there.

15. nitemar says:

Im sooo happy it’s over. Bye House, move on and have a great life! :)

16. One of the best, if not THE best, series finale I’ve ever seen. David Shore managed to give me everything I wanted. So, thank you, Mr. Shore, Mr. Laurie, cast & crew. It’s been a ride!

17. Trista says:

I loved seeing Stacy in the finale. I really always loved her character and what she did for House. Cuddy always just seemed to push his buttons – whereas I really always thought Stacy brought out the best in him. Plus Sela is one of my faves!!!!

• whatevs says:

That’s one way of looking at it, but at the same time, House was a different person entirely during his relationship with her. He hadn’t yet become handicapped and addicted to vicodin.

18. Tammy says:

I really liked the part when Foreman finds the name tag and smiles and he knows that House is still alive. What a great finale… I will surely miss my favorite show.

19. Hugo says:

I knew Sela was playing Lisa´s role. It would have been much better with Cuddy but Stacy was a nice replacemente.

• @ hugo. says:

“I don’t want to make it seem like it was one or the other, but had [Lisa Edelstein been available] she might’ve done something [similar]. But we knew before we even had written it who we had available.”

In what part of this Answer is he suggesting what you just say?

• A Lincoln says:

Disagree…House lived with Stacy for years. he had a longer domestic history with her.
      We never knew much about House/Cuddy in their pre-PPH days, but we can assume it wasn’t as long as his relationship with Stacy.

• arial2 says:

Sela wasn’t “playing Lisa’s role;” Stacy was the love of House’s life. That’s why the showrunners weren’t that concerned about LE not returning for the finale. In fact, it might have been a little too much had both appeared. As it was, the most important of the three women in House’s love life was there in his hallucinations to help talk him out of suicide. I was very pleasantly surprised by SW’s appearance because she’s already got a major role in another returning show (CSI NY). And I loved the hallucinated “baby House.” : )

• Kriszta says:

Stacy was the love of House’s life.???Remember that time House held Cuddy’s hand and told her he loved her?Remember that time when House said he’d choose happiness with Cuddy over medicine?
        And yes Shore wanted Lisa’s return and Sela Ward was just a second option!

• Huddy Sucks says:

Oh yeah and remember that time when they ret-conned an entire series and made bit-part actors tell us every 5 minutes how they belong together because they had little chemistry beyond some boob and ass jokes to accomodate a pathetic excuse for a relationship with Cuddy who should have remained in her smaller, supporting role of earlier seasons? ! That’s what I remember!

• The truth says:

Hacy is dead, Hilson will be dead Only Huddy wasn´t killed in the finale! Remember this!

• Valerie says:

Huddy is the deadest of all. I’m hilson but to be honest Cameron is the last one that says she loves him in the House’s head, she is his biggest regret and desire, I am objective.

• @ The truth says:

No huddy was killed even before the end of season 7. You are the one who need to Remember This.

• @ kriszta. says:

Remember when House tells cuddy she is/was the love of his life? NO …well me neither because that never happened.
          On the contrary, with Stacy in season 2 he said that she was the love of his life.
          You can yap all you wanna but that is a fact. Your ship sank worse than Titanic. Move on.

In the end The best Friendship of House and Wilson triumph above all else (romantics relationship’s included)

• tripoli says:

Well said!

• Jeff says:

Not to rock the boat (or the ship, so to speak), but I think House was more attached to Cuddy than in love with her, and the attachment felt more and more like love as it went on, but really wasn’t. The same way he became attached to his green-card wife, and it started to feel like love for him toward the end. And he managed to sabotage both relationships. Stacy might have been the closest thing he had to true love, but that might have been attachment, too. I would be so bold as to say that, in giving up his life (home, job, etc.) to be with Wilson in his final months, House had finally discovered the true meaning of love… and after Wilson’s gone, House will finally be able to open himself up to a real relationship with a woman.

• Cuddy's lawyer says:

You are a simple blind and idiot! And I think you didn’t watch this serie after season 2!
            You don’t like Cuddy and Huddy I understand,but please don’t deny her importance and don’t write stupid things!
            Stacy was just a complement in the finale,however you are hurt but this is the truth!

• kelly says:

Get your facts straight. House never called Stacy the love of his life. Wilson did. Wilson also was the one who pushed and cheered on Huddy. IMO House loved them both and both have a place in his heart.

• Kriszta says:

Thanks for the info Kelly,that was an nice own goal! LMAO

• Anastasia says:

Then WTF was Dominica doing there? She sure as hell was not the love of House’s life. Again, stop trashing my girl LE/Cuddy. She wasn’t on the show & you got your finale w/out her in it. Congrats to you. But others don’t feel like you do and have the right to their opinions/wishes for the finale also.

• Russ says:

You can’t tell someone to stop expressing their opinion, and then go on to champion everybody’s right to express an opinion. Well, you can, but it is rather contradictory and poorly thought out.

• RR says:

Some people decide to leave and never come back… not even for funerals. Edelstein/Cuddy doesn’t owe anybody… Shore or House. Some people might shed a tear, but they don’t want to attend. It happens. Everybody showing up is not the norm in real life. I kind of like that Cuddy would choose not to be there.

20. Sally says:

The finale was perfect as it was. Thanks to David Shore and his brilliant team for 8 (mostly) great and very emotional years, and especially a big thanks for bringing Cameron back on last time. I will miss House.

• Judy L says:

I agree: I watched HOUSE from the beginning and the ending was perfect nobody died. I hate when a series ends and they kill off a main character. A BIG thanks to the creator, writer, and of course Mr. Hugh Laurie for allowing us to love to hate this character and hate to love him. Gregory House is one of the best characters I have ever enjoyed. I will miss this show tremendously!

21. buborek says:

I loved this finale. I very enjoyed this season. Never thought it possible after the breakup with Cuddy. But it was a pleasure for me. I can’t imagine watching a show just to criticize it. It’s good to enjoy a show after a hard day, and House was always the best show for me. Thanks to David Shore and Hugh Laurie and all the cast and crew. :)

• kim says:

I didn’t care about his break up with anyone i just enjoyed the show. there is no 1 love of ppl lives you grow, you change, you love. at different times of your life journey. omg. why are ppl getting caught up in who a TV character loved more. it was entertainment, i enjoyed it the whole time. it helped my mondays after “24” went off the air…. i don’t know why ppl watch a show they don’t like either… someone commented they have watched csi all 9 seasons or however long it’s been on, but they are not a fan of the show. wtheck? who does that how and why? lol… is there any show that has ever been on that it didn’t disappoint you at some point during it’s run? impossible not to. lol

22. Crystal says:

I was always a huge fan of the House/Cuddy dynamic and have to admit after last season’s finale, I skipped all of this season until last night. While I did miss Lisa Edelstein being there, I can honestly say that the parts where Sela’s Stacy came back were very well done and enjoyable to watch. I was also not expecting to see Amber. Two very cool points in the finale.

• kim says:

omg the show was never about his relationships, it was just bout him. why do ppl take these things so personal? not trying to offend you, im just reading all of these comments and i just don’t get it. i loved this show. you missed whole season? you missed some good episodes.

23. Jennifer says:

I loved this ending! I love that Sela came back and they used her instead of Lisa I always thought Sela and Hugh had better chemistry. I’d rather see Hugh and Sela then him and Lisa, his driving car into her house was closure enough for me. I’m glad they presented Cameron at the end the way they did. Never liked her and Chase together. She’s to sanctimonious for him, always felt like she talked down to him. Her crush on House always grossed me out. Great opening with Kal, so glad to see him.
    Thank you, David Shore and Hugh Laurie for 8 great and entertaining years. Thank you for giving viewers true closure.

24. Cuddy's lawyer says:

Sorry but the finale was a big disappointment for me! This was a perfect ending for the suck season 8,but not worthy for the series!However at least House kept alive! I wanted Cuddy’s back but now I’m happy because she wasn’t part of this crappy finale!

25. solo1861 says:

There was everyone but Cuddy; how disappointing. I would have gladly missed Dominica for a a 2 seconds shot of Cuddy at the funeral.
    Anyway… I hope we will see the actors in other shows or movies soon.

26. Grace says:

LISA E. was asked to appear and said ‘No’. What would you have them do in that case?

• Anastasia says:

That is not true. She was interviewed and stated that it doesn’t seem likely especially since she hadn’t been asked. DS & crew probably were trying to get her back but the real LE/Cuddy demisers FOX/NBCUniversal said no & hence, everyone’s just politely stated “that it wasn’t possible.” Stop trying to bash LE.

• agsddk1 says:

Unfortunately, this is all speculation. I don’t think anyone will know for certain, unless LE actually comes forward and gives the real story, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

27. Sam says:

I liked the finale, and I’m glad Cuddy wasn’t in it. She became annoying when she and House got together.

28. Poliom says:

House loved Cuddy since college. And he kept loving her. Stacy was just his second option even if he loved her too. But his passion for Cuddy was stronger than anything

• BB says:

That is a delusional reconstruction

• Anastasia says:

Did you not see “known unknowns?” Cuddy was his eternal 20+ years crush, love & etc. TPTB decided that it wouldn’t work. House and Cuddy were 2 characters that should the writers have decided to make it work; HL & LE would’ve acted what was written for them to act. You haters are not that powerful.

• @Anastasia says:

Bollocks, only because they had sex one time twenty years ago it doesn`t mean that he was hopelessly in love with her. How old are? He was probably interested he found others like Stacy who he called his only love. If he were madly in love with her why did it last 20years to get together? There were good reason for it and they were written into the show very early that these two could never work as a couple and both knew it. Of course it doesn`t mean that they didn´t love each other,(parts of them) ;) There are so many ways to love someone and blessendly you can love more than one person in your entire life. ;)

• Cuddy's lawyer says:

Well said Anastasia! Cuddy was the soul mate of House!

• Chloe says:

Sure he loved cuddy at one point but that was all all in the past. He knew that relationship was never gonna work. End of story period.
      Stacy like he said she was/is the love of his life. You can be in denial all you wanna but that is a fact.

29. Robin says:

I wonder if there was any significance to why Cameron was the one who got him up and moving out of the building. Devils advocate secnario maybe? I know I’m in the minority but I really like them two ‘together’ and glad she was in his subconscience

30. Jeff says:

I thought the finale was very well done, though if you think it through, I find some fault in David Shore’s explanation of how the fire started.

If House had this planned all along — which switching the dental records (obviously in advance) and planting his ID in Foreman’s office clearly seem to indicate — then he knew the POTW’s body needed to be burned badly beyond recognition for the trick to work. (Especially since POTW seemed a bit pudgier than House, and if there was anything more than a skeleton to look at, anybody who knew House would have realized that right away.)

So I highly doubt House would have left it to chance that POTW would just happen to choose that opportunity for another cigarette slip. Besides, if that’s how the fire had started, wouldn’t it have been in the room with them from the very beginning? Wouldn’t POTW’s clothing have been the very first thing to go up in flames?

More likely: After the POTW died of an overdose, House started the fire himself. Instead of leaving immediately, though, his curiosity — stoked by POTW’s claims in the hospital — led him to try the heroin. House passes out, and when he comes to, that’s where the story begins. ..

• Anastasia says:

I like your hypothesis!

• RR says:

Have your own interpretation… the rest of us will accept that House went along to try the heroin (feel like God, everybody happy), they both passed out, -one- of them started the fire, one O.D.’d… and House accomplished the rest during the night when everyone was at the scene of the fire… nothing premeditated… and the body pretty badly destroyed.

• Jeff says:

RR… right, nothing premeditated. Even though POTW’s dental records wouldn’t have been kept at PPTH, so some kind of switch would have had to be orchestrated. And, of course, “everyone” at the scene of the fire included all of PPTH’s other doctors, nurses, and security guards, leaving the hospital completely unattended for him to plant his ID in Foreman’s office. And he completely eluded the hospital’s security cameras, too? But hey, that’s OK, this is what makes it fun, because there are plenty of possible interpretations, right?

31. Stacy, this is nonsense…… House and Cuddy are in love since more than 20 years old !

• BB says:

Huddies are pathetic, really.

• @ Amy says:

Oh yeah, i think is time to wake up and smell the reality.

20 years you wish; In those 20 year of knowing eachother they were together less than a year in an actual relationship, If he was so in love why wait all those years to be with her. so your denial and delusional is pretty obvious.
      Also he was with Stacy for 5 years (in those 20 years of knowing cuddy, he choosed to be with Stacy) and still be with her if it wasn’t for the infraction.

• Kriszta says:

Stacy appeared in 9 episodes Cuddy in 153! I think no question who was important !? However House’s actual relationship with Stacy was longer than with Cuddy but the love with Cuddy was more older!
      And If LE not refused the invitaton,Stacy not have included in the finale,so what about speaking???

32. Brenda says:

As a HOUSE and Hugh Laurie fan from the very beginning, I thoroughly enjoyed the ending and the song – it was cool.

33. Astrid says:

I really missed Cuddy.. </3

34. carla says:

I’m so happy!! After Hugh & Jennifer hug and ”You were very missed” (OMG-OMG they have the greatest chemistry ever!) and in particular to hear that Cameron has said ”I love you” to House and the fact she is the last woman he has in his head and help him, I think I can die happy ♥ !! I love House and Cameron from the pilot and I love that their duet was born in the first season and finished in the last episode so sophisticated, subtext and deep way ♥. I loved Hilson and Stacy-Amber appearances too. Good job. [Sorry for my english]

35. rubytu says:

I didn’t like most of the episode, but I did like the end. However, questions nag me about what kind of driver’s license does House have? Is it a fake? He always gets into trouble, so he needs a fake ID. What happens when he has to admit Wilson to the hospital at the end? Will he spend the rest of his days in prison? He needs ID! They should have said. Maybe House left all his money to Wilson and Wilson drew it out of the bank and gave it to House in cash……. OK, I don’t want to think about it anymore….

• Did you miss the question Wilson almost asked at the end? Right around the time Thirteen was mentioned? I’m pretty sure there was a subtle hint in there, even if House tried to ignore it. SO, House will not have to worry about admitting Wilson to a hospital.

36. Hyde says:

Damn, I was really hoping House would be diagnosed with Lupus. Since “it’s never Lupus”

37. C. says:

At least no one died.

38. Fido says:

I’d like to know if 13 still has House as her “will help her die should her illness return” person, or has she got someone else ?

• Greater good says:

House keeps his promises, I bet he will watch over her from a distance. He always could take care of somebody without that person really knowing it. Yup, he’ll be there for here, I’m sure of that :)

39. Johnny says:

this is/was the best medical drama tv show ever, thanks to cast and crew for a great run, i wish it didn’t have to end, to me even the so called short comings of some episodes or seasons were never a dark spot on the entire shows run, i personally enjoyed every episode. i wish they could start again with CHASE M.D with breif appearances by House, consulting the team on cases via web or phone, the series was one of the best tv shows ever, once again thanks for 8 seasons of greatness.

40. FU2 says:

That was a crap finale!

41. Ken says:

there is nothing wrong with a happy ending…… perfect !

42. Loved, loved, loved this show for 8 years, but, 8 great minutes of finale TV does not make up for the other 35 poor minutes.

43. linda sawyer says:

whatever i loved house the series and would love to see him again hes real very real he didnt cut corners he told you like it was for your on good but he did have a heart a bigger one than most of us could ever have its almost like a real death

44. Sm222 says:

I really wish cuddy came back for the finale and told house that she was still in love with him. I expected house to die but in a different way that happened in the finale. Good finale but could have been better

45. Eric says:

Great series – mainly because of the writing. Very disappointed with the series finale. Typical of bad writing seen in so many other shows that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing… that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing… that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing… that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing… that resort to fantasy to solve problems caused by the bad writing…

46. Moinatlanta says:

I loved the retrospective. Amazing how many people it takes to put on one show! I didn’t like the beginning of the show but as it went on it fell into place. I really loved the endings for all the characters. Mostly I will miss the show. I think Hugh Laurie is amazing & hope he comes back to tv. BY THE WAY, loved the reference to Dead Poets Society.

47. Ruth says:

I enjoyed the ending and I liked how it ended with House & Wilson riding into the beautiful scenery. However, to think it “slim” that the character being revisited???
    “PEOPLE LIE!”
    Best regards
    Rudi ;)

48. Ann Smithwick says:

Loved the finale…and hold out hope that House winds up in an Amazonian clinic run by nuns where he has used local shamanic medicine to cure Wilson. They both stay on and the ensuing series explores how House, Wilson, the nuns and aborigines interact.

49. Juancho says:

in my opinion, no matter what ending they wouldve come up with, not everyone wouldve been happy, personally I didnt fully liked it but it was good in general, that being said, Im going to miss this series a lot

50. krysta says:

House MD was a great show, in my opinion, but the last two seasons it got kind of screwed up, with the majority of the good characters leaving. It just got stupid. But I kept watching, and I have to say, the finale was a pretty to great comeback and wrap up of a show I loved. My favorite part? Wilson at House’s funeral, saying what a crap person House was, and then House texting him and telling him to shut up. Although I have to say I saw it coming…

• Julia says:

I agree, krysta, that was really the beginning of the class beginning for me too. You’re right, one could see it coming, but yet so perfectly appropros for the characters involved that it wasn’t boring. I think the ending music was excellent—I’ve been listening to it, on tape or in my head, since May now. A reliable hour of enjoyjment per week…that’s the nature of exceptionalism,..you remember it.