Syfy's Sanctuary Cancelled: 'Bloody Hell' and More Reactions from the Cast

Syfy’s Sanctuary will not fly for a fifth season, it was announced on Monday — news that elicited a familiar refrain from series lead Amanda Tapping.

“‘Bloody hell’ indeed,” Dr. Magnus’ portrayer shared via Twitter, not long after the bad news broke. But prior to that, the actress gave kudos to the show’s passionate fans, saying, “We love and adore you. Thank you for the love and support. Now to the long dark tea time of my soul.”

RELATED | Syfy Sets Dates for Eureka Series Finale, Warehouse 13 and Alphas Premieres

In the months after Sanctuary‘s Season 4 finale aired in December 2011, little or no buzz surrounded its possible pick-up, leaving fans to fear-slash-prepare for the worst.

Other cast members weighed in on the news via Twitter, such as Robin Dunne (who played Will): “Thanks to our wonderful @SanctuarySeries fans for 4 years of love & support. You gave us a great life. See you on the next one. XO.”

RELATED | Syfy’s Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Not Going to Series

Ryan Robbins, who played Henry Foss, wrote: “Truly overwhelmed by all the wonderful #Sanctuary messages. You guys continue to be full of awesomeness. #bestfansever,” while Robert Lawrenson (Declan) tweeted, “A huge thank you to the phenomenal Sanctuary fans, cast, crew & producers for a wonderful run. Look back with pride and forward with spirit.”

1. Rich says:

Again surfy stabs it’s core in the back, another reality show on its way, or maybe some wrestling, that has so much In common with sci-fi. F syfy

• Polly says:

Totally with you.

• john decker says:

what does syfy think ,that have had some great shows there,i think it just not making them more money then they pay out to the stars

• Vince says:

“maybe some wrestling”
      Never understood the reason for having that on this station, worst when it used to muckup the schedule of the show after it.

• john says:

never understood why wrestling was on during prime time while sci-fi shows were regulaed to late night (10 pm and later). They need to rename the network everything “else but sci-fi”

• Paul says:

Perhaps it’s because wrestling is routinely one of the highest rated shows on the network, and sy fy stopped being about science fiction when they changed the spelling of their name.

• Muzzy says:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CHANNEL? FIRST THEY LET “CW” GET “SUPERNATURAL,” NOW THIS? THIS USED TO BE A CHANNEL WE COULD COUNT ON FOR GREAT QUALITY SCI-FI, I AM DISGUSTED! SCI-FI FANS ARE THE MOST LOYAL, AND SICK TO DEATH OF RIDICULOUS “REALITY” SHOWS! -MUZZY

• pop says:

Most loyal? BS more like most annoying fans I seen. You keep thinking that most of you sci-fi fans keep bitching on syfy almost everyday and consider every show on their network that sometimes isn’t a reality show stinks.

• pop says:

Agree about the supernatural though if it weren’t for them I probably wouldn’t watch it it was pretty good in the earlier seasons but season 4 ruined most of the show

• Kevin says:

MONEY,MONEY, MONEY Sounds like george bush and his wealthy friends “NEW WORLD ORDER” is having suffocating effect on imagination and visionary ideals..I miss Farscape and I know I will miss Sanctuary as well. I honestly feel that society is constantly being moved by republican oppressors and they don’t want creative shows. WWF is not science fiction it is “Visual Garbage” how did we get to the moon?? why not remove the channel.. You corporate pieces of crap,,You won’t let Amanda finish her show with dignity..When I first started watching Stargate I thought that having a cute blonde with a machine gun was weird and stupid but I gave the show a chance and became attached to her character and loved every season!! I agree with Sanctuary’s Will character having a leash..He could have been a colorful character..Ben browder could have saved that show!!!

• Jeff says:

Republican Oppression? Wow how delusional are you?

• jen says:

Republicans?! You apparently don’t know much and are blinded by hate. NBC owns SyFy, which is owned by Comcast. You don’t get more left winged then that. Stop hating and get informed.

• Glenn Hubbard says:

Kevin, I understand you being upset, but the Republican Party has more important things to worry about than Sanctuary. Also, President Obama has taken more money from Wall Street than any presidential nominee in history. As for oppression, Guantanamo Bay’s detention facilities are still open and our European allies are still.being spied upon. Not exactly the hope and change you and the Democratic Party promised us.

• john says:

i agree ive been waiting and waiting hoping what i heard wasnt true you take away my sanctuary i know take your channel from my tv!!!!! f syfy

• Kevin says:

I agree with you Syfy sucks anymore i can’t stand the reality TV shows. and face off is one of the worst. and wrestling on Syfy do I really need to explain that.
      I would say I’d rather watch paint dry but I’m afraid Syfy might hear me and and make that a program and put it up on the next line up

• Krista says:

Ugh, I’m glad it’s not just me!! It’s so annoying! You’d think they’d at Least show some reruns of some great sci-fi shows – Star Trek or even Stargate… but no. I stopped watching it years ago. >= (

2. James says:

Double Bloody HELL.

3. James says:

I’m sick and tired of them cancelling all the great shows.

4. R Vance says:

Not surprised too many filler episodes last season

5. SAM says:

I enjoyed the first three seasons but must admit that I got bored during the 4th season and stopped watching it mid-way so this doesn’t surprise or disappoint me too much but I know that others will miss it so sorry for your viewing loss!

• Philip says:

Same here season 4 was boring and I have it up pretty quickly and did not miss it, and still won’t now that it’s cancelled.

• tvdiva says:

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who tuned out with season 4. I think they took Sanctuary in the wrong direction, away from its primary mission. I still love watching the first 3 seasons.

• Adam Richardson says:

I’ll admit most of season 4 did suck, however the ending did give it a little glimmer, that said of course it did have a feeling of “Ok this could be the end, but we’ll leave it on just enough of a cliffhanger so that if we are to return…” Season 4 by far was the worst, so this really is no surprise, it is a shame that they won’t return for a 5th season, if they did I really hoped that they’d have gotten back on track quickly, losing Agam and the, can’t remember the names, but the people from down below up top, the stories didn’t gel, they really seemed dull, I watched all the episodes and I think I tuned out for most of them, some episodes from earlier seasons seemed as if they were only on for 20 minutes, as with some this season others (mostly this season) seemed as if they’d been on for 5 and a half hours. So lets see what they have in store to replace this.

• seth says:

So did I. I grew to dislike it during season 3, and it takes a lot to make me stop watching a show that has a story, but it got so bad I had to quit sometime during season 4. I know there are people who still like and watch it, but honestly, it had bad acting, very predictable writing, and it constantly felt like the cast would break out in “We Are the World” at any minute. Magnus was an interesting character in the beginning, but somehow she devolved into a very two dimensional, “I’m smarter, older, more open minded, and have better values than all the other idiots living in the world” character, and this became the principle interaction of her character in every episode. Likewise, somehow they turned Will from an interesting Sherlock Holmes type of character into little more than Magnus’ yes man. And really the only characters with any depth (and I say “any” loosely) by the end of season 3 were wolfman MacGyver and sasquatch butler, well and maybe Tesla too, but I was mostly talking about the regulars.

• Glenn Hubbard says:

I agree about the character of Dr. Magnus. The final straw for me was when they revealed her to be a homosexual. It was cheesy and unnecessary. They might as well have hung out a GLAAD banner over the Sanctuary gates. Warehouse 13 did the exact same thing with a new character. I am tired of producers shoving their political and social crusades down the throats of people just trying to be entertained. It’s like Soviet-style propagandizing. Remember how Eureka placed President Obama’s photo in center-frame several times in Jo’s office? It was like those giant posters of dictators overseas. Actually, many Hollywood types love those guys. Sean Penn, I’m looking at you!

• arial2 says:

Unlike you, I loved season four. They knew exactly where they were going with the show, just had to build up to the the collapse of the sanctuary system. Helen’s 113-year “do over” worked out well for her, allowing her the time to plan the best way to avert the coming Abnormal “holocaust.” Every episode gave us a part of the whole picture. The season finale was wonderful (except for Biggie’s apparent death, but Chris Heyerdahl had other commitments), especially the fiery destruction of Magnus’s sanctuary. That explained all the time spent on Henry’s invention. I especially loved the last scene, Helen showing Will (and us) the new sanctuary for the first time. The showrunners knew a renewal was iffy, so took care of the fans by giving us a finale that could serve as a decent series ending if necessary. Thank you, Amanda, Damian and the rest of the cast and crew for a beautiful series.

• connie says:

I hated losing Ashley, that sucked. I thought she was integral to the program and the character they used to duplicate her part was awful, I hated Kate from day 1 to the end. So terribly sad, maybe someone else, who uses thier brains, will pick it up. Just like two and 1/2 men the loss of Charlie was the end for me.

• Kristina says:

Me too, I gave up somewhere in season 2. But I know how it feels to have one of your favorite shows cancelled, hate it for the viewers!

6. JT says:

Not all that surprising. Creatively, Sanctuary started to suffer near the end of it’s 3rd season and the whole season 4 Hollow Earth story just wasn’t that interesting. I’ll miss the Sanctuary from season 1 through 3.5, but not the Sanctuary that came after that. What I’ll really miss is Amanda Tapping, who was the best part of the series. Wouldn’t it be nice to have some Sanctuary movies that delved into the character’s past, or even a new web series.

• Ty says:

The best part of the series was whenever Tesla showed up. In fact all of the 5 showing up raised the bar on the quality and enjoyment of the show.

• Stacey says:

Tesla was by FAR the best part of the show!

• Gilda says:

The difference between when the 5 was there and wasn’t there was crazy! I thought it was a good show without them, but I was more of a casual viewer. But when they were there I became obsessive. They should have had there own show haha! The normandy episode was maybe the finest episodes of television syfy has put out in a while

• April says:

Tesla was the most interesting character , Loved him!!!!

• Tesla was by far my favorite character. We just loved to hate him
        and couldn’t get enough of his whimsical sarcasm. The episodes with him in then would always seem to fly by!!

7. hello says:

Not really surprised. It has been 4 1/2 months since the finale aired.

8. leahbh says:

This is stupid. syfy sucks!!!! Sanctuary was their best series by far.

9. Dan says:

This just sucks :(

10. Daniela says:

Syfy is one awful channel. Maybe they should start caring about the fans and then cancel a series BEFORE the last episode already aired. All these genre shows have such a passionate fan base. Makes you think that Syfy would owe it to them.

• Simon Jester says:

Syfy is running a business, not a charity. Given that even hard-core SANCTUARY fans posted above about tuning out during season 4, it’s no surprise that ratings declined and the show became too pricey to continue.

11. MikeyM says:

Bet we will get another Scare Tactics like show.

12. Well they have to fund all those crappy “mockbusters” some how.
    SyFy are idiots, I’m loathe to watch anything they put out in future – Warehouse 13 must be sh**ting themselves.

13. Jessica says:

I’m still pissed about “Eureka”. It hit its stride again last season and now it’s in the final season.

14. gail says:

I am upset that another one of my shows has been cancelled

15. Lizzie says:

I’m. Not. Happy.

16. Tania says:

Great shows? With the exception of Eureka, SyFy has the worst series lineup for a network.

• They have Warehouse 13 don’t they? I still think that is a quality – if undemanding – show.

• Bob says:

Enjoy Eureka while it’s on, because it’s gone, gone, gone. Based on NBComcast’s history, don’t expect another season of Warehouse 13 after this year.

• Jacob says:

I wouldn’t go that far. Warehouse 13 is still one of the most (if not the most) popular/watched show on the network, and it has only gotten better as it continues.

• Lisa says:

Uh….think about it…Eureka IS their MOST POPULAR series, and the dimwits cancelled it. Doen’t say alot for their brain trust sitting up in their offices, does it?

• Ruby says:

I too disagree with the way Syfy is going. they have cancelled almost all the shows I enjoyed and are bringing all that reality stuff instead of really interesting programs. Stargate series was removed and then Eureka and what they’ll take off Warehouse 13. Like the other person said, I won’t have anything left to watch on syfy. Who says that a series can only last 5 years – Eureaka was funny and interesting, Stargate series (both) were really great, Sanctuary different and Warehouse 13 quircky and fun. It’s nice to see something different – we have enough reality.

Comment by Ann

• Ty says:

I actually really enjoyed alphas as well. And not everyone goes for it, but being human is a good show as well, not scifi exactly, but at least it’s in the fantasy vein.

17. at least it had a good enough finale and not a cliffhanger.

18. chujciwdupe says:

The show was horrible right from the beginning… I’m glad it got cancelled.

19. tlbrownlie says:

i’m making a bold prediction, the next three shows that syfy cancels are (in order:) HAVEN, WAREHOUSE 13 and the ALPHAS. If they want to call themselves a syfy channel they should look at Space Channel here in Canada. They know how to do it right!

20. ltude says:

I dont give a hoot about Syfi since they let go the fantastic First Wave and Farscape

21. Still on in the UK and yet another one is cancelled. Best to give up now. Sci-fi doesn’t do well, we should all be brainless zombies and sit watching reality tv and Jeremy Kyle all day

22. lois says:

syfy has gone berserk

23. tp says:

Dang, this sucks.

24. Geo says:

SyFy is always so trigger happy with cancellations, my only surprise is that they haven’t yet cancelled a show in mid-episode, like “Sorry, after the break, instead of wrapping up the story you’ve been watching the last thirty minutes, here’s a reality show about dumb people getting scared by other dumb people jumping out of closets that cost us 20 cents to make.”

• Simon Jester says:

Only a moron would consider it “trigger-happy” to cancel a show after giving it three previous renewals. If you were talking about CAPRICA you might have a point… but SANCTUARY had four good years. Don’t be such a baby.

25. Amy says:

In my opinion Sanctuary lost its way when they killed Ashley. Yes the actress wasn’t that great but you had a mother/daughter and sometimes father duo. What went wrong with Sanctuary is it became more so about Robin’s character than Helen.

26. jimmy says:

Enjoyed it alot have to agree it started to run out of steam near the end would have still like to seen it come back what are them clowns at in syfy, they may as well shut the bloody channel down if there cancelling science fiction shows have heard there gone mad into the wrestling must be cheap crap to fill the time slots. long live stargate one true and genius piece of tv history that spanned 2 spin-off shows and one cartoon series where are they now only on re-runs.

• Cesar De La Garza says:

Spot on. Yes, this last season was boring but give the show a chance to rebound. Tell them to back to the original plot and fix it. Season 1 and 2 were awesome. I hated that thy got rid of Ashley.

27. WeeklyWeek says:

In my opinion i am expecting the end of the other 3 Sci-Fi series still alive in SyFy in the near future. Shouldn’t be too much time for a rename of the channel.

28. Gilda says:

This wasn’t always my absolute favorite on syfy, but it had some pretty incredible stuff and I really enjoyed it. This is moving syfy one step closer to being completely reality tv. Joy.
    I’m grateful at least that the season finale, I think, could absolutely serve as a series finale. Not a lot of loose ends. Henry’s starting a family, Kate’s engaged and content, the big guy went out in a blaze of glory fighting for his friends, Magnus and tesla are, in my mind, at least, pursuing a relationship, will has a girlfriend he loves, and he and magnus have closed one chapter in their lives and are starting an new one together with their underground sanctuary.

29. Kelly says:

No more tesla . bloody fu**king hell!

30. Marcy says:

Syfy clearing their schedule so they can put on more crap

• Allie in Maine says:

Can’t believe Insane or Inspired will take it’s time slot. SYFY has proven once again that the fans don’t matter. Such a pity as the stage was set for.such a great 5th season.

31. Luke says:

Disappointing but not unexpected after such a long period of silence by the network. I’ll definitely miss the show, enjoyed it a lot and love Amanda and the cast. Looking forward to seeing her and Robin team up again though in the upcoming film they did last year, Space Milkshake!

32. BrianR says:

Sorry Amanda but I stopped watching after the hot blonde was killed in the season 1 finale. I did watch a couple episodes until it got ridiculous with the guy doing a hindu dance party for a spider.

33. Morgan Rose says:

Definitely going to miss Nicola Tessla. But going to miss the show tremendously. Always looked forward to my Friday Nights because of this show. If they cancell one more of my shows on this Chanel I’m going on strike, I will no longer watch SyFy.

34. MikeB says:

SyFy = sILLy fUTILITy when looking for any good sci-fi or even fantasy shows.

syfy has had their moments when they went all “Roger Corman” and started cranking out loads of ‘odd’ shows as SyFy Original Movies. Some were even campy enough to be funny, (Debbie Gibson vs. Tiffany, but please give Tiffany a raise so she can gain a few more pounds so she’ll be around longer. She looked like she wouldn’t be allowed to work as a fashion model – TOO thin, new rules)

Maybe they can pick up some folks cast-off from the MTV reality/prank shows and have them ‘rassle… or box… or live in boxes… or in rehab…

35. jinx says:

that was the only show left on Syfy that I still watched. Guess I can remove that channel from my “favorites” now.

36. Dew says:

Considering NBC Universal owns Syfy, it’s not unexpected that decisions made at the executive level are bizarre. The network is last and operates almost entirely out of fear.

All that being said, Sanctuary (much like Community) was an uneven show. I watched it and wanted to like it, but always found it to come up short.

37. MJ says:

They could have at least given us a few episodes of closure. First Eureka now Sanctuary. Syfy is really making me mad.

38. JAO says:

Oh great. There is no really good SciFi left. I loved Sanctuary. And the Hollow Earth story was interesting to me. What’s left they’ll probably kill off too and leave us with Ghost Hunters And Scare Tactics. Boo!

• Mike says:

Just read this post. SYFY has turned into a nothing channel. With reality shows and wrestling where is the syfy. I guess they can continue to put those really, really crappy saturday night movies out. My thought to SYFY is, “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”. Guess I’ll watch the Chiller channel. Yea right!

39. Noah says:

Shows get cancelled. Sometimes they’re ones you like.
    I’d say “that’s life” but it’s not, it’s fantasy.

40. mia says:

Part of me is sad, part of me is relieved.
    I was a massive fangirl for this show; like obsessive adoration. But the show is the best example of wasted potential.
    It started off with such a brilliant concept and fantastic characters yet that went nowhere. The stories they insisted on telling were frequently boring, rushed and always focused on the wrong characters.
    For a show with characters like Jack the Ripper, Sherlock Holmes, Nikola Tesla, Helen Magnus, etc who the heck thought focusing on Will (one of the most average people ever created in fiction) was a good idea!?!?
    Actors talents were wasted and plot lines that should have taken a full season (re: the Cabal) took just one episode.
    That said, I adored the show and it provided so much wonderful stuff for the imagination. I also made so many wonderful friends as a result of this show. So I’m sad to see something I love die…but its time.
    And Helen Magnus will remain one of the best fictional characters ever created

41. Chris says:

Comast, who owns NBC universal , who owns syfy are behind this, because they are money hungry bastard. Wouldn’t know a good show if it fell on hq in phiily

42. A Big Fan says:

WOW syfy is turning into ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, canceling all the wrong shows. Idiots. I was really looking forward to a season 5. One of the best shows on TV!!!

43. Andrea says:

Fascinating that a self-proclaimed sci-fi channel cancels all these genre shows. This sucks. Bloody Hell indeed. :(

44. John Grose says:

Le suck. That show really grew on me. I’m gonna miss it. – John

45. Derek m says:

I think the person before me had a point… Boycott SYFY. I was never a fan of the show I was always more interested in stargate so I can relate. I think there needs to be an out cry and boycott to show the channels executives that we will not stand up for it and that we are tired of the mistreatment they give. WE ARE THEIR BACKBONE, WE BRING THEM MONEY THROUGH COMMERCIALS AND ADVERTISEMENTS SO THEY NEED TO REALIZE THAT THEY NEED TO PLEASE US.

46. Michael says:

Actually, I am glad it got canceled. It got so progressively worse last season that I had to struggle just watching it. Good riddance! Was good, but the writing let it down! Got lazy and now they payed the piper!

47. benjitek says:

Sanctuary was ruined the rights to the original webisodes was purchased by SyFy — they sucked the soul out of it for mass-consumption. Didn’t work.

48. G. Conway says:

Syfy is under the NBC Umbrella. I started questioning their sanity the moment they cancelled Farscape. There’s more b*llsh*t reality tv on Syfy than actual Science Fiction programming. This channel is a disgrace to the science fiction genre. Once Eureka ends, I’m through with Syfy. It’s. Not. Worth. The. Headache.

49. Salut says: