Good Afternoon America to Fill Revolution Slot

Good Afternoon America Lara Spencer Josh ElliotThe Revolution is over, but ABC’s America is growing.

The network will air Good Afternoon America – a one-hour off-shoot of Good Morning America – for nine weeks, starting July 9.

RELATED | General Hospital Cheats Death as ABC Instead Ends The Revolution

GMA‘s Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer will host the program, which will replace the recently canceled The Revolution at 2 pm ET until Katie Couric’s eponymous daytime talker debuts on September 10.

Good Afternoon will feature celebrity appearances, musical performance, pop culture news and original entertainment, lifestyle, health, workplace and consumer reporting. GMA regulars Sam Champion, Robin Roberts and George Stephanopoulos will also contribute with special appearances.

1. Julia says:

Seriously?! Revolution was the first new show I got excited about… :(

• Thomas says:

Julia: I think you’re thinking of a different ‘Revolution’. This is not the NBC-drama, but the ABC-daytime-talkshow that’s canceled. Don’t think you were excited about that. ;)

• Maddie says:

Soap fans will BOYCOTT any and all programming that occupies a former soap opera time slot. Period.

• Julia says:

I am sorry but you need to grow up. Soaps where not getting great ratings and like any show that isn’t getting good ratings they got pulled. Did I like seeing a show I spent over 20 year watching no but it can’t go on forever. The networks are in it to make money and they where not making money off the soaps anymore that is why they got pulled. Refusing to watch something because show you liked got cancelled is childish imo.

• TheReasonsY says:

Actually, this is an inaccurate statement. Soap ratings are done differently then other programming. For example DVR playback only counts if you watch the show in the same day where prime time shows get 7 days of playback. Not watching this show is actually good for soap fans since General Hospital will be probably inheriting this time slot. If GAA shows better ratings than GH in the time slot then guess what won’t make it’s 51st year even though it has stronger ratings then most of ABC’s late night programing.

• Ck says:

Sorry Julie but this is America even if you don’t like it we do have the right to stop watching a network for making stupid business moves. Um and wow thanking God that Abc didn’t have your brain and cancel Jeapordy which has been on since forever. Sheesh
            Anyway. I wont ever watch ABC daytime again. If they put all my children back on then yes not only will I watch abc again but will also buy from the sponsors. For you see it’s all about the money too. Less watched networks will eventually lose their sponsors and that’s what is so dam great about a free country. Good luck abc. I see how that new show worked out for you. LOL

• Becs says:

I’m soooooo glad the soaps are going off! I use to be a fan, but jeez, that was years ago. I LOVE THE CHEW, I hope I will like Good Afternoon America as well!!

• Lindsey says:

Are you thinking of the new JJ Abrams show that doesn’t premiere til the fall? This Revolution is a talk show that aired this past year I believe…

• Chris says:

Different show. “The Revolution” is not the same as “Revolution”

• mawhi says:

Not the JJ Abrams show – I just thought the same thing!! This “The Revolution” was gonna be a self-improvement show or something.

• dee says:

Are you confusing the upcoming primetime show “Revolution” with this insipid daytime talker “The Revolution?” The latter is what this story is about.

• Paige says:

You might be confusing the talk show “The Revolution” with the new NBC series “Revolution”. The talk show was canceled not the new tv series. (Feel free to ignore this if you were indeed referring to the talk show.)

• GOOFS says:

Julia = Goof of the Day winner! Congrats!

• brooke says:

ALL SOAP FANS MUST BOYCOTT THIS SHOW OR IT WILL ULTIMATELY REPLACE GENERAL HOSPITAL!

• Christina says:

I agree. I do not trust ABC that this is just a short run. There is NO way on earth I will watch this show and risk it bumping my beloved General Hospital. Besides GH is the ONLY reason I ever turn on ABC during the day at all!

• Diane Marie says:

I am with you, Christina. I don’t turn the TV on until General Hospital comes on. I can’t always watch it in the afternoon. I use to like to watch it on Soap network, which is not on any more. I refuse to watch anything that takes my soaps place. I couldn’t stand watching the Chew, when they were advertising it. Call me childish, I don’t care. I am a 63 year old woman who grew up watching the soaps with my mom and loved every minute of it.

• Becs says:

We can only hope they will be replaced, LOL!!!!!

• SoapLuver says:

That doesn’t make any sense, this is a limited run show as a replacement for The Revolution (ack, what a horrible show) and as a filler until GH takes the 2pm slot, and ABC gives the 3pm slot back to its affiliates for syndication of the new talk show Katie, which will bomb. I’m on your side about the soaps needing to come back, but not this of the wall stuff. Have you even read the article, in the first paragraph it says “…running for 9 weeks, starting July 9th.”

• mary says:

good…. was really glad to hear it!!! Now get rid of the chew and bring back our soaps!!!! there are far too many reality and cooking shows.

• Laur says:

DARN, I really enjoyed and learned from The Revolution!! Any chance it will come back? grrrrr

2. Ci says:

Love Lara.

3. Tiffany says:

Love Josh Elliott and Lara. Fabulous…rescheduling lunch break now :)

4. Daniela says:

THE REVOLUTION must be one of the biggest fails that ever made it on the air. What a horrible show. July 9th!? They should cancel it ASAP and be done with it. Show classic episodes of GENERAL HOSPITAL instead. Anyway I’m so relieved GH survived and this train wreck got canceled instead.

5. Meg says:

Does that mean Katie Couric is taking the 2 PM time slot and GH is keeping 3 PM?

• TV Gord says:

No, GH can’t keep the 3pm slot, because in September, it will no longer be a network slot. Katie, which is a syndicated show, will go in most 3pm slots of the ABC affiliates, but some affiliates are programming other shows there, such as The Steve Harvey Show. GH has to move into a network timeslot, so that’s why it’s going to 2pm in September, after GAA’s 9 weeks.

• John says:

If GAA gets good ratings it is an immediate threat to GH’s longevity in the 2pm time slot. Do NOT watch GAA at ALL from the day its starts, if you want GH to survive.

6. Lorie says:

I love Josh, so I’ll check it out.

7. Josh says:

Lara is sexy!

8. Amy says:

More news shows really?

9. april-ann says:

I like both Lara and Josh but I won’t watch. I like Katie too but I won’t watch her either. I’ve had more than enough of talk/information/”reality”/trash talk/entertainment news/lifestyle/game/self improvement shows etc. I want One Life to Live back (and AMC too).

• mary says:

yeah there is an awful lot of us that feel this way but the net works and the powers to be just don’t give a flying fling.

10. Connie says:

Yet another show i wont watch.Not the same with out my One Life to Live.

11. Peppy says:

I will always miss One Life to Live.

12. That’s the worst thing i ever read

13. ADC says:

I hope this show tanks badly so that GH can stay on the air. If GH goes, I will no longer tune into any ABC daytime shows.

14. Ralph says:

I too will ALWAYS miss OLTL.

15. Sue says:

Or these Knuckleheads can just admit they were wrong and bring back OLTL!!!!

16. Sean says:

I WILL NOT WATCH THIS!!!! I ONLY WATCH GH ON ABC.

17. Tee says:

Revolution was a terrible name. The show seemed pretty bad too. Granted I only watched it once, but I could only get through 2 minutes. Even my adoration for Tim Gunn couldn’t keep me going.

This new show seems even more uninteresting. But the name sucks less.

18. Kristi says:

I believe they need to bring the soaps back and get rid of the talk show garbage.

19. lori says:

Soaps are ya kidding? I love gma but unlike the rest of you i have a job. Who has a chance to watch afternoon tv really.

20. lori says:

Actually its not a talk show its called the news.

21. mike says:

Do not replace GH. Another reason to not watch ABC!!!

22. Felicia says:

Seriously! We get 2hrs of GMA in the morning. We don’t need another hour of GAA. If you want to watch the news turn to CNN or HLN. Bring back OLTL and keep GH.

23. KLJ115 says:

In my opinion, soaps are silly and ridiculous!! Huge waste of time. I wish Good Afternoon America was replacing General Hospital to be honest. That’s just my opinion and everyone is totally entitled to their own – I respect that. I actually liked ABC’s “The Revolution.” I think we can all agree that we are excited to see more of Josh and Lara though!!

• mary says:

no, I don’t think we can all agree that we are excited to see more of Josh and Laura. Please don’t speak for the rest of us. I personally don’t care about your opinions either of the soaps being silly and ridiculous and a huge waste of time. opinions are like a** holes and every one has one.

24. John Fredericks says:

I Think abc is realizing that people dont want to see lifestyle programming in the afternoon. The fact that they spared General Hospital and got rid of the insipid The Revolution is telling. Now if they could only get rid of The Chew. I hate seeing that disgusting Mario Batali on my tv.

25. TL says:

I love the cast and show of Good Morning America, but I hope they are not going to ruin it by showing it over and over during the day. Sometimes it can get too much and it looses it’s appeal. I also love GH and I liked OLTL, so I will be upset if anything replaced GH. Katie Curic not so much! She keeps trying and no one is catching on. I refused to watch another show like Revolution. Too many of these types of shows are on. I understand ratings and demographics, as my daughter is in the business, but in today’s climate most young people are working, might want to reconsider your demographics.

26. Ginger says:

Okay, if ABC wants to continue this foolishness of canceling good daytime tv like amc, oltl and gh in favor of these stupid talkshows, then perhaps fans could get these soaps on cable tv somehow or petition for a different way to measure ratings. If GH gets canceled from abc, i will no longer watch abc at all

27. patricia frain says:

I am so glad it failed. I too boycotted these shows. I know it’s not popular to be a homemaker anymore. But I love my job and anyone who followed these story’s know how well they fit into our day. I would love it if they brought back these shows. I don’t watch abc anymore for any reason. They have a terrible programming dept and they should all be fired!!

28. Guest says:

I agree except for the chew which abc got lucky with they need to stop being cheap and putting on talk shows that nobody cares about and put the soaps back on. If it wasn’t for General Hospital I would no longer watch ABC!

29. Jbo says:

Lara Spenceristhe reason I DON’T watch GMA . The most annoying person on tv. Katie Courics show will be another I will avoid. She’s terrible.

30. Diane` says:

The Revolution was cancelled for Katie Couric??!!!! Ugh! PLEASE, not Katie Couric!!! Guess I will be finding a new channel for afternoon tv!

31. barb says:

i love the revolution. it is one of the best shows on daytime tv.there is nothing real life about the soaps.i think soaps are for dreamers

• mary says:

we have more than enough “real life” on t.v. now to include reality shows, talk shows and cooking show. who needs any more???? maybe we need more dreamers!!!

32. Julie says:

I have an extremely stressful job and work ten to twelve hours per day. I could come home and have a drink, but I’d probably finish a bottle a night. The soaps, especially OLTL,, were my wind down time. Once I went 9 months without TV and I watched it on my phone on YouTube in little chunks! I might have been one of the last people on earth setting a VCR. I would love to have that silly show back.

33. Elsa O says:

Why don’t networks create soaps that are 3-4 months long similar to the Novelas shown on Univision?

34. Gail I says:

I was a One Life to Live fan for many years and very disappointed with the shows end. I too wanted to boycot the new show, but I have to admit The Revolution was much more interesting then Lara and the ESPN guy. How much celebrity gossip do we need !!! The Revolution took re-life, everyday people and helped them to transform their lives.

35. MJ says:

GMA Afternoon is NOT the answer to ABC’s white space. Over-exposure of talent is risky. The love fest must stop. I find it annoying. Ugh.

36. Connie says:

Where will GAA go? That’s the most upfitting show on ABC. Please put it on in place of the CHEW.