AMC Announces Summer Premieres For Breaking Bad and Hell On Wheels

AMC on Monday announced the premiere dates for its summer series, including the beginning of the end for Breaking Bad.

The fifth and final season of the Emmy-winning drama — which will air in two eight-episode chunks — is set to launch Sunday, July 15 at 10/9c. The second eight-episode batch, meanwhile, will air Summer 2013.

Immediately following Breaking Bad at 11 pm is the debut of Small Town Security, the cabler’s new docu-series which centers on a family-owned private security company in rural Georgia.

RELATED | Mad Men Recap: Kris Kringle and Hare Krishna

Meanwhile, AMC’s Hell On Wheels kicks off its 10-episode second season on Sunday, August 12 at 9 pm.

Comments (34)

• Breaking Bad, frak yeah!

I guess I should get around to watching S1 of Hell on Wheels sometime…saved it all these months on my DVR…but the premiere was so meh, and didn’t hear much good about the rest of the season.

Comment by Temis – May 21, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell on Wheels is an awesome show. You should give it a chance. Its slow, like most AMC shows, but it’s great.

Would love some spoilers on both of these shows’ upcoming seasons!!

Comment by AB – May 21, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you didn’t like the premiere, you probably won’t like the rest of the season. I didn’t like the premiere, but stuck with it, and with every single episode I kept saying, “This will be the episode where I finally get into the show!” And no…it never happened. I don’t get it. It’s a western, it’s an AMC show, it should have been my favorite thing ever, but I was bored to tears by the whole thing.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 21, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great show. Very authentic western.

Comment by Alfredo Castillo – June 15, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re only getting half a season until next summer? Where are we, England?

Comment by R.O.B. – May 21, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously.

Comment by Terri – May 21, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even we don’t split a season for that long, that’s just silly, why that long a wait I’ll never know, but as an avid Breaking Bad fan I’ll just have to wait.

Comment by Adam Richardson – May 22, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahaha

Comment by j78 – May 25, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant wait to see Hell On Wheels Second Season.

Comment by Aidan Williams – May 21, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate when networks split up a series’ final season to air over the course of TWO YEARS (á la “The Closer”, “Battlestar Galactica”, etc.). Of course I’ll be sad to see the show come to an end, but don’t tout it as a “FINAL SEASON” and then have it come back for 2 summers…

Comment by Brian – May 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The series is filmed in New Mexico, which recently changed its tax incentives for film companies. I suspect that has something to do with why they are basically filming two seasons at the same time.

Comment by chatulim – May 21, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CANNOT wait until August 12th. Hell on Wheels is one of the best shows on television.

Comment by Kat – May 21, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell On Wheels is really, really, really ridiculously awesome show. Can’t wait to see what they got in store for Season 2. HoW really hasn’t gotten the credit it deserves.

Comment by TheDude – May 21, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t completely understand why they’re calling this Breaking Bad’s final season. If it’s coming back again next year, wouldn’t it make much more sense for this just to be a penultimate, shortened season? Still, can’t wait for it to be back.

Comment by Quigley – May 21, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only ten eps of HOW why

Comment by joterri – May 21, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This’s just great!!!! DX True Blood’s on the same time. Now My family want Breaking Bad instead true blood in July. AMC did this to us,at they air Breaking Bad in winter.

Comment by Shelli – May 21, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait on how Breaking Bad is going to end until next Summer.

Comment by bad kevin – May 21, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve waited all these months for the final season of BB and now find out it’s a measly 8 ep season this summer and next summer? C’mon, man…run all 16 eps this season and go out with a bang. This is just cruel !

Comment by TheBeach – May 21, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This isn’t new information – AMC announced this plan last year.

Comment by AB – May 21, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and i haven’t watched another amc show since. i just don’t trust them. i could easily see them cancelling a continuing series without any closure. so, except for bb i’m done.

Comment by don – May 22, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, can’t wait for Hell on Wheels!

Comment by Sue – May 21, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they calling this Breaking Bad’s 5th and final season? Sounds like it’s the 5th and 6th and final season to me. You can’t go on that long of a break before it’s just a new season, c’mon! I am curious what this will do for the DVD sales of Breaking Bad. Do you have to wait two years for pt. 2 to finish airing before you can purchase the 5th season? Don’t get me wrong, I am excited to watch Breaking Bad again, as I just barely got into the show last fall, but I don’t like AMC being weird like this. Also, I’m not a fan of how AMC is getting into the reality show business. It won’t be long before they turn into TLC: “The Learning Channel” at this rate.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 21, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if this changes Bryan Cranston’s chances of winning an Emmy – seems kinda greedy – deserves 1 but may be up for 2 for this split season. That said, he is incredible.

Comment by CJ – May 22, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • meant to say – winning ANOTHER to his many many Emmys.

Comment by CJ – May 22, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Already knew this but it just gets me excited. Ah hell yeah!!! So pumped for the return of both shows! AMC has made me it’s bitch.

Comment by Emily – May 22, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, it’s filmed in New Mexico. One year there seems like two anywhere else.

Comment by Bill Klein – June 3, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read they planned on breaking it up into two parts but I was hoping for a Walking Dead type of break…not a year break.

Comment by Michell – June 4, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • +1500

Comment by Mikhail – July 6, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hell on Wheels, can not wait untill the second season, i agree with the spliting seasons apart, really lame.

Comment by Patrick – August 2, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 8 episodes is 2 months so we have to wait 10 months after that to see the last 8. I’m not looking forward to the end of the show since its the only TV I watch and like.There is Mad Men and Walking Dead but I’ve never seen them. I generally detest TV except for watching DVD’s.

Comment by Byron – August 6, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get a life AMC. This is exactly why people watch episodes on pirated sites. I could see airing in the new year, but next summer? You wont catch me dead with AMC on my tv ever again. Of course, I will watch it on pirated sites so they can pay for their stupidity with a loss in ratings. Retards

Comment by Greg – September 23, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hi

was the note left by Gale on the book ,”my other W. W.” signed by him ?

Comment by salah – October 31, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post