AMC Announces Summer Premieres For Breaking Bad and Hell On Wheels

AMC on Monday announced the premiere dates for its summer series, including the beginning of the end for Breaking Bad.

The fifth and final season of the Emmy-winning drama — which will air in two eight-episode chunks — is set to launch Sunday, July 15 at 10/9c. The second eight-episode batch, meanwhile, will air Summer 2013.

Immediately following Breaking Bad at 11 pm is the debut of Small Town Security, the cabler’s new docu-series which centers on a family-owned private security company in rural Georgia.

RELATED | Mad Men Recap: Kris Kringle and Hare Krishna

Meanwhile, AMC’s Hell On Wheels kicks off its 10-episode second season on Sunday, August 12 at 9 pm.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Premieres, Summer TV Preview

1. Temis says:

Breaking Bad, frak yeah!

I guess I should get around to watching S1 of Hell on Wheels sometime…saved it all these months on my DVR…but the premiere was so meh, and didn’t hear much good about the rest of the season.

• AB says:

Hell on Wheels is an awesome show. You should give it a chance. Its slow, like most AMC shows, but it’s great.

Would love some spoilers on both of these shows’ upcoming seasons!!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

If you didn’t like the premiere, you probably won’t like the rest of the season. I didn’t like the premiere, but stuck with it, and with every single episode I kept saying, “This will be the episode where I finally get into the show!” And no…it never happened. I don’t get it. It’s a western, it’s an AMC show, it should have been my favorite thing ever, but I was bored to tears by the whole thing.

• Great show. Very authentic western.

2. R.O.B. says:

We’re only getting half a season until next summer? Where are we, England?

3. Aidan Williams says:

Cant wait to see Hell On Wheels Second Season.

4. Brian says:

I hate when networks split up a series’ final season to air over the course of TWO YEARS (á la “The Closer”, “Battlestar Galactica”, etc.). Of course I’ll be sad to see the show come to an end, but don’t tout it as a “FINAL SEASON” and then have it come back for 2 summers…

• chatulim says:

The series is filmed in New Mexico, which recently changed its tax incentives for film companies. I suspect that has something to do with why they are basically filming two seasons at the same time.

5. Kat says:

I CANNOT wait until August 12th. Hell on Wheels is one of the best shows on television.

6. TheDude says:

Hell On Wheels is really, really, really ridiculously awesome show. Can’t wait to see what they got in store for Season 2. HoW really hasn’t gotten the credit it deserves.

7. Quigley says:

I don’t completely understand why they’re calling this Breaking Bad’s final season. If it’s coming back again next year, wouldn’t it make much more sense for this just to be a penultimate, shortened season? Still, can’t wait for it to be back.

8. joterri says:

Only ten eps of HOW why

9. Shelli says:

This’s just great!!!! DX True Blood’s on the same time. Now My family want Breaking Bad instead true blood in July. AMC did this to us,at they air Breaking Bad in winter.

10. bad kevin says:

Can’t wait on how Breaking Bad is going to end until next Summer.

11. TheBeach says:

I’ve waited all these months for the final season of BB and now find out it’s a measly 8 ep season this summer and next summer? C’mon, man…run all 16 eps this season and go out with a bang. This is just cruel !

• AB says:

This isn’t new information – AMC announced this plan last year.

• don says:

and i haven’t watched another amc show since. i just don’t trust them. i could easily see them cancelling a continuing series without any closure. so, except for bb i’m done.

12. Sue says:

Thanks, can’t wait for Hell on Wheels!

13. Britta Unfiltered says:

Why are they calling this Breaking Bad’s 5th and final season? Sounds like it’s the 5th and 6th and final season to me. You can’t go on that long of a break before it’s just a new season, c’mon! I am curious what this will do for the DVD sales of Breaking Bad. Do you have to wait two years for pt. 2 to finish airing before you can purchase the 5th season? Don’t get me wrong, I am excited to watch Breaking Bad again, as I just barely got into the show last fall, but I don’t like AMC being weird like this. Also, I’m not a fan of how AMC is getting into the reality show business. It won’t be long before they turn into TLC: “The Learning Channel” at this rate.

14. CJ says:

I wonder if this changes Bryan Cranston’s chances of winning an Emmy – seems kinda greedy – deserves 1 but may be up for 2 for this split season. That said, he is incredible.

15. Emily says:

Already knew this but it just gets me excited. Ah hell yeah!!! So pumped for the return of both shows! AMC has made me it’s bitch.

16. Bill Klein says:

Hey, it’s filmed in New Mexico. One year there seems like two anywhere else.

17. Michell says:

I read they planned on breaking it up into two parts but I was hoping for a Walking Dead type of break…not a year break.

18. Mikhail says:

+1500

19. Patrick says:

Love Hell on Wheels, can not wait untill the second season, i agree with the spliting seasons apart, really lame.

20. Byron says:

8 episodes is 2 months so we have to wait 10 months after that to see the last 8. I’m not looking forward to the end of the show since its the only TV I watch and like.There is Mad Men and Walking Dead but I’ve never seen them. I generally detest TV except for watching DVD’s.

21. Greg says:

Get a life AMC. This is exactly why people watch episodes on pirated sites. I could see airing in the new year, but next summer? You wont catch me dead with AMC on my tv ever again. Of course, I will watch it on pirated sites so they can pay for their stupidity with a loss in ratings. Retards

22. salah says:

hi

was the note left by Gale on the book ,”my other W. W.” signed by him ?