Nikita Boss Teases a Major 'Paradigm Shift' and the Death of a 'Fan Favorite' In the Season Finale

After tonight’s Nikita (8/7c, The CW), the spy thriller will never be the same.

Here, showrunner Craig Silverstein discusses with TVLine the series’ shocking shift in direction (it’s major), previews the death of a “fan favorite” (also major) and reveals what fans of “Mikita,” “Salex” and “Birkya” (?) can look forward to in the show’s second season ender (less major, but still fun).

TVLINE | How did you approach this season’s finale, given that you hadn’t yet received a renewal when you wrote it? Is it a pretty self-contained episode?
Yeah, I always approach the end of a season that way. I’ve said this before, but I would never leave on a huge cliffhanger. It’s just not my style… unless we were absolutely guaranteed that we were coming back.

TVLINE | Would you describe the hour as a game-changer?
I would say it’s a paradigm shift that is akin to what we did in going from Season 1 to Season 2. People are on a different side than they thought they would be at the end of [the episode].

RELATED | The CW’s Fall 2012-13 Schedule Revealed: Where’s Nikita?

TVLINE | That was a daunting cliffhanger the show left off on last week. How could Michael and Nikita possibly succeed and/or make it out of Division alive?
The answer is: They don’t make it out. That’s all I’ll say there.

TVLINE | Maggie Q recently told us that while Nikita and Percy will finally face off in the finale, they will also have to work together. Describe that dynamic and why you decided to have them fight with one another?
We always wanted more time with them. In fact, since Season 1, there’s been an episode we’ve wanted to do in which Nikita and Percy are together running some kind of gauntlet and she has to protect him. She wants to kill him but needs to protect him for some greater good. We actually got a smidgen of that at the end of the Season 1 episode when we first met Owen… [but] we were never able to fully get that episode from beginning to end up on its feet. So, we were finally able to get a couple acts of it into the finale, which was a lot of fun. The fact that Percy turns the tables on Nikita and creates the reason for that dynamic is the ultimate Percy ploy.

TVLINE | Fans are pretty nervous that there’s at least one death on the way. What can you say about the soon-to-be-deceased?
A fan favorite character doesn’t make it out alive.

TVLINE | So, you’re confident this is someone we’ll miss next season?
I think so, yeah.

RELATED | Nikita Promotes Noah Bean to Series Regular

TVLINE | Are there any new developments between Michael and Nikita in the season ender? Or are they pretty content in their current place?
Yeah, near the end [of the episode], there’s big decision that they have to make together, and it’s about what they thought they wanted back in the beginning of the season.

TVLINE | What about Alex and Sean? They’re currently out on their own and in some pretty dire circumstances. Will that impact their budding romance at all?
In a jam-packed finale, we do make some room for that relationship to continue to move along. I just like seeing the two of them in action. There’s a little moment that Lyndsy [Fonseca] sort of created where they have to open up the back of a car, and she’s looking at him like, “Go! Do it!” It’s just this little moment that’s very them. In real life, when we’re filming, [Lyndsy and Dillon Casey] are telling each other to shut up all the time… [Laughs] We picked up on that and tried to put it into their characters’ dynamic.

TVLINE | And how are things shaping up between the geek chic Birkhoff and Sonya?
We have a payoff to the Birkhoff/Sonya relationship [in the finale] that is a really crowd-pleasing moment.

TVLINE | This is more of a general question than it is directly related to the finale, but why bring Ryan back in such a major way? He’s certainly well-liked, but what dynamic does he bring to the group?
We just really like Noah Bean. We like what he brings to the show. Ryan’s a different kind of guy than any of the others. In “Dead Drop,” you can see he’s got a clear, more rational mind than Nikita, and that’s a useful part of the team. And he’s really their last link to any kind of hope of a good government — and one that’s on their side.

TVLINE | In contrast, Amanda sort of dropped off the grid in these final episodes of the season. Why the mini vanishing act? And what is her brief role in the finale?
It was economics. We had Melinda Clarke for a limited amount of episodes — even though she’s a regular on the show — the same as we did in Season 1. Last year, when she wasn’t running Division, there were easier ways to get her out of shows and not make you feel like you missed Amanda that week. And that was much more difficult to do this year. She’s really important, but I used up all of my “Amanda cards” early on… And it might seem to TV viewers that we could just pay from another ["card"], but we can’t! [Laughs] If we did that, then we wouldn’t be able to make the show, essentially… We always knew that we wanted Percy to take Division back over, and when he did, we had planned various things for him to do. One was that he was going to throw Amanda back in the “cube” as some sort of “plush torture,” but we couldn’t afford to do that — and we thought it would be even weirder if he did that and then you didn’t see her. So, the decision was that he takes it over, and she’s out in the wind and has lost everything except for Ari — whom she doesn’t seem too happy with. [Laughs] But she’s got a black box. We thought it was a great image to have her in the hotel room with the box, just like Michael and Nikita were in the beginning of the season…. There were different stories [in the works] where Amanda was much more involved in the finale, but frankly — I mean, come on, you’ve seen the finale, and it’s packed!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Finales, Interviews, Spoilers

1. guest says:

It can be Michael for all I care as long as it’s not Nikita or Alex (but who are we kidding? It’ll never be Nikita)

2. Chalice93 says:

Percy dies, Nikita/Mikey/Ryan take over division. Calling it now.

• chrispatt86 says:

IM IN WITH THIS!

• k says:

… LOL sneaky

• Emily says:

THIS.

• Lo says:

Now that the episode has aired, I can officially call Chalice93 on their BS. You’re “calling it”? More like spoiling it. I’m sooooo sure you didn’t watch it last night because it airs in Canada on Thursdays and then is up for download within minutes of airing. Gimme a break, I’d have given you credit if you hadn’t “called it” EXACTLY on the nose. Pretending it was some incredible guess and essentially spoiling it for people just makes it all the more douchey.

3. krypt says:

my guess… alex dies

4. Patricia says:

I think Owen is going to die, he wrote on twitter a few weeks ago that he was done with Nikita. I really hope it’s not him thou he is definetly a favorite. I was hoping they would make him a serious regular. I rather have him than Ryan.

• CJ says:

Albert Kim, one of the writers/producers tweeted Devon the other day that they have big plans for him next season. Him not coming back this year was a money and scheduling thing.

5. Keenan says:

Better not be Melinda Clarke!

Nobody messes with Amanda/Julie Cooper-Nichol!

6. Nina says:

I rhink it’s either Alex or Birkhoff who dies. I don’t think they’re going to even touch Nikita/Michael, rightfully so, but it does make me worry for Alex and Birkhoff. Maybe it’ll be Shawn, Amanda, Percy, Owen! ANYONE that’s not my OT4 :'(

7. bree says:

What if it’s Michael?

8. Alexis says:

Not Birkhoff, please!!

9. Marc says:

I was thinking Michael too but is that too bold a move? I don’t think it’ll be Owen because A) He has no reason to be in the finale and shoving him in at this point would make absolutely no sense. B) When Nikita got picked up, Mr. Sawa tweeted that he hoped to be back as Owen in season three. The reason I say Michael might get the axe is because Fletch was Nikita’s love interest before Mikey left Division and now they just suddenly brought him back and promoted him to a series regular — it just seems odd. If it isn’t Michael, I say either Burkoff or Shawn.

10. rondre sleaze says:

owen’s only in the epi as a flashback of Nikita thinking about should she help lead division

11. Becca says:

I’m pretty sure it’s not Michael, I read an interview a couple days ago somewhere where Shane West said something about getting ready to film season 3 but possibly being out for a couple of episodes or something. My guesses are Birkhoff, Owen, Sean, Percy, or maybe Roan or Amanda. I personally really, really hope it’s not Birkhoff, but I have a bad feeling that it might be……..

12. Meh says:

They better not kill off Birkhoff!!!

13. Nicole says:

Shane West wouldn’t have gone to CW Upfronts if they killed him off.

14. lostclarity says:

Unless Shonda Rhimes snuck in and wrote the Nikita Season Finale there is no wail in hell that Michael dies.

15. greysfan says:

Well its not Nikita that is for sure. lol. As long as its not Alex, Michael or Birkoff i am fine with it but i have a feeling it will be one of them. Then again it could be Percy, Amanda, Ryan (again) lol, any of them really. Can’t wait to see it. Thanking CW right now for renewing it. Low ratings who cares, the show is one of the good ones.

16. LS says:

I don’t really care who dies so long as it’s not Birkhoff. Sean, Alex, Michael, they’re all expendable. Birkhoff is not. And if they kill Birkhoff, I refuse to watch next season.

17. Marlene says:

Maybe ROAN! ROAN could die, really! As long as it’s not Nikita, Michael, Birkhoff, Alex, Sean, Ryan! Owen also could die, or Percy, or Amanda, or Ari, Ari could try take over Division by killing Percy so Nikita would have to work with Percy to save him, so that Ari doesn’t “get” Division, maybe?! I’m going crazy!

18. Michael says:

This is gonna be EPIC! cant freaking wait to see it

And season 3 here we come and season 4 is a really good chance also for syndication purposes

This show is one of a kind!

19. Alan says:

as long as birkoff and alex dont die im happy. still holding out hope those 2 will end up together, mainly because birkoff needs someone and they seem to have great chemistry with each other

20. Tess says:

It will most probably be Birkhoff. He’s definitly a character that everyone loves and he would definitly be missed. Obviously Nikita doesn´t die, Ryan doesn´t die either (otherwise it wouldn’t make sense becoming a season 3 regular). Pretty sure that Michael, Alex and Shawn don’t die. Don’t think it’ll be Amanda, Percy or Roan, since besides the fact that they’re the bad guys, they’re not exactly “fan favorite characters” compared to the others, at least not to me. On the other hand, Birkhoff is the best character and the funniest and he would definitly be missed by NIKITA fans…

21. Tim says:

As long as Alex and Birkhoff make it out okay I’m good. I really like Michael but if Ryan is becoming a series regular I can see Michael being sacrificed. I’d rather it be Sean though, not a major fan of the character.

22. Mark P says:

Saw the finale already! 2 characters will die. And major twist by the end. A huge game changer for season 3.

23. June says:

I dont care,what they do.Birkhoff is the only humor this show has.if they kill him,he cannot be replaced. I don’t think its him,because hes not in division.Nikita(Def) and Alex will most likely live.The only ones that might die is shawn and *weeps* :( Mi..Micheal : T_T

24. -MaK- says:

RIP Percy.
    Now it’s time for Nikita, Michael and Ryan to run Division.

25. nikita friday says:

I think its birkhoff personally I dont want it to be him I wud rather it be Roan

26. AJ says:

Percy and Roan both die.

27. Marci says:

Craig Silverstein also did another interview on 5/18 saying they are debating in how to bring Roan back seeing he dies so many times but always bounces back. Granted Percy is gone and Roan was his right hand man but they could develope something for Roan to make another return to advenage Percy’s death and for the rest of the run on the Nikita Series.

28. Folaqnikita says:

I think its gonna be owen.d series interviews ave read already leaves d others out and maggie said its som1 close 2 her.

29. Christian says:

We want roan to come back he can’t die like a little punk