Nikita Boss Teases a Major 'Paradigm Shift' and the Death of a 'Fan Favorite' In the Season Finale

After tonight’s Nikita (8/7c, The CW), the spy thriller will never be the same.

Here, showrunner Craig Silverstein discusses with TVLine the series’ shocking shift in direction (it’s major), previews the death of a “fan favorite” (also major) and reveals what fans of “Mikita,” “Salex” and “Birkya” (?) can look forward to in the show’s second season ender (less major, but still fun).

TVLINE | How did you approach this season’s finale, given that you hadn’t yet received a renewal when you wrote it? Is it a pretty self-contained episode?
Yeah, I always approach the end of a season that way. I’ve said this before, but I would never leave on a huge cliffhanger. It’s just not my style… unless we were absolutely guaranteed that we were coming back.

TVLINE | Would you describe the hour as a game-changer?
I would say it’s a paradigm shift that is akin to what we did in going from Season 1 to Season 2. People are on a different side than they thought they would be at the end of [the episode].

RELATED | The CW’s Fall 2012-13 Schedule Revealed: Where’s Nikita?

TVLINE | That was a daunting cliffhanger the show left off on last week. How could Michael and Nikita possibly succeed and/or make it out of Division alive?
The answer is: They don’t make it out. That’s all I’ll say there.

TVLINE | Maggie Q recently told us that while Nikita and Percy will finally face off in the finale, they will also have to work together. Describe that dynamic and why you decided to have them fight with one another?
We always wanted more time with them. In fact, since Season 1, there’s been an episode we’ve wanted to do in which Nikita and Percy are together running some kind of gauntlet and she has to protect him. She wants to kill him but needs to protect him for some greater good. We actually got a smidgen of that at the end of the Season 1 episode when we first met Owen… [but] we were never able to fully get that episode from beginning to end up on its feet. So, we were finally able to get a couple acts of it into the finale, which was a lot of fun. The fact that Percy turns the tables on Nikita and creates the reason for that dynamic is the ultimate Percy ploy.

TVLINE | Fans are pretty nervous that there’s at least one death on the way. What can you say about the soon-to-be-deceased?
A fan favorite character doesn’t make it out alive.

TVLINE | So, you’re confident this is someone we’ll miss next season?
I think so, yeah.

RELATED | Nikita Promotes Noah Bean to Series Regular

TVLINE | Are there any new developments between Michael and Nikita in the season ender? Or are they pretty content in their current place?
Yeah, near the end [of the episode], there’s big decision that they have to make together, and it’s about what they thought they wanted back in the beginning of the season.

TVLINE | What about Alex and Sean? They’re currently out on their own and in some pretty dire circumstances. Will that impact their budding romance at all?
In a jam-packed finale, we do make some room for that relationship to continue to move along. I just like seeing the two of them in action. There’s a little moment that Lyndsy [Fonseca] sort of created where they have to open up the back of a car, and she’s looking at him like, “Go! Do it!” It’s just this little moment that’s very them. In real life, when we’re filming, [Lyndsy and Dillon Casey] are telling each other to shut up all the time… [Laughs] We picked up on that and tried to put it into their characters’ dynamic.

TVLINE | And how are things shaping up between the geek chic Birkhoff and Sonya?
We have a payoff to the Birkhoff/Sonya relationship [in the finale] that is a really crowd-pleasing moment.

TVLINE | This is more of a general question than it is directly related to the finale, but why bring Ryan back in such a major way? He’s certainly well-liked, but what dynamic does he bring to the group?
We just really like Noah Bean. We like what he brings to the show. Ryan’s a different kind of guy than any of the others. In “Dead Drop,” you can see he’s got a clear, more rational mind than Nikita, and that’s a useful part of the team. And he’s really their last link to any kind of hope of a good government — and one that’s on their side.

TVLINE | In contrast, Amanda sort of dropped off the grid in these final episodes of the season. Why the mini vanishing act? And what is her brief role in the finale?
It was economics. We had Melinda Clarke for a limited amount of episodes — even though she’s a regular on the show — the same as we did in Season 1. Last year, when she wasn’t running Division, there were easier ways to get her out of shows and not make you feel like you missed Amanda that week. And that was much more difficult to do this year. She’s really important, but I used up all of my “Amanda cards” early on… And it might seem to TV viewers that we could just pay from another ["card"], but we can’t! [Laughs] If we did that, then we wouldn’t be able to make the show, essentially… We always knew that we wanted Percy to take Division back over, and when he did, we had planned various things for him to do. One was that he was going to throw Amanda back in the “cube” as some sort of “plush torture,” but we couldn’t afford to do that — and we thought it would be even weirder if he did that and then you didn’t see her. So, the decision was that he takes it over, and she’s out in the wind and has lost everything except for Ari — whom she doesn’t seem too happy with. [Laughs] But she’s got a black box. We thought it was a great image to have her in the hotel room with the box, just like Michael and Nikita were in the beginning of the season…. There were different stories [in the works] where Amanda was much more involved in the finale, but frankly — I mean, come on, you’ve seen the finale, and it’s packed!

Comments (50)

• It can be Michael for all I care as long as it’s not Nikita or Alex (but who are we kidding? It’ll never be Nikita)

Comment by guest – May 18, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched the episode yesterday and while I won’t spoil anything, I will say that Owen has the best line of the night, hands down!

Comment by Lo – May 18, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, I meant to say Sean has the best line.

Comment by Lo – May 18, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Percy dies, Nikita/Mikey/Ryan take over division. Calling it now.

Comment by Chalice93 – May 18, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IM IN WITH THIS!

Comment by chrispatt86 – May 18, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … LOL sneaky

Comment by k – May 18, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS.

Comment by Emily – May 18, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that the episode has aired, I can officially call Chalice93 on their BS. You’re “calling it”? More like spoiling it. I’m sooooo sure you didn’t watch it last night because it airs in Canada on Thursdays and then is up for download within minutes of airing. Gimme a break, I’d have given you credit if you hadn’t “called it” EXACTLY on the nose. Pretending it was some incredible guess and essentially spoiling it for people just makes it all the more douchey.

Comment by Lo – May 18, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my guess… alex dies

Comment by krypt – May 18, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Lyndsy tweeted yesterday she’s going back to Canada soon (unless she’s a ghost, she’s not dead) and not NIkita coz it’s NIKITA! And I really only love these two (like the rest but could watch witout them) so I’m not worried any more :)

Comment by Kiara – May 18, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Many TV shows are shot in Canada, so Lyndsy could be shooting something else, just sayin’ … ;)

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 18, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • it’s not her, trust me ;)

Comment by Kiara – May 18, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I know. ;)

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 18, 2012 03:18 PM PDT
  • I think Owen is going to die, he wrote on twitter a few weeks ago that he was done with Nikita. I really hope it’s not him thou he is definetly a favorite. I was hoping they would make him a serious regular. I rather have him than Ryan.

Comment by Patricia – May 18, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Albert Kim, one of the writers/producers tweeted Devon the other day that they have big plans for him next season. Him not coming back this year was a money and scheduling thing.

Comment by CJ – May 18, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better not be Melinda Clarke!

Nobody messes with Amanda/Julie Cooper-Nichol!

Comment by Keenan – May 18, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you mean Julie Cooper-Nichol-Cooper-Roberts-Bullet-Atwood. ;)

Comment by Jarrod – May 18, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rhink it’s either Alex or Birkhoff who dies. I don’t think they’re going to even touch Nikita/Michael, rightfully so, but it does make me worry for Alex and Birkhoff. Maybe it’ll be Shawn, Amanda, Percy, Owen! ANYONE that’s not my OT4 :’(

Comment by Nina – May 18, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if it’s Michael?

Comment by bree – May 18, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will never be Michael.

Comment by Patricia – May 18, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you go back and read between the lines in the interview, it sure sounds like it’s Michael.

Comment by stevecee – May 18, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Birkhoff, please!!

Comment by Alexis – May 18, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s needed for comic relief. I doubt it’s him. I think it may be Ryan.

Comment by Michelle – May 18, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ryan just got signed as a series regular for next season.

Comment by Patricia – May 18, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking Michael too but is that too bold a move? I don’t think it’ll be Owen because A) He has no reason to be in the finale and shoving him in at this point would make absolutely no sense. B) When Nikita got picked up, Mr. Sawa tweeted that he hoped to be back as Owen in season three. The reason I say Michael might get the axe is because Fletch was Nikita’s love interest before Mikey left Division and now they just suddenly brought him back and promoted him to a series regular — it just seems odd. If it isn’t Michael, I say either Burkoff or Shawn.

Comment by Marc – May 18, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • owen’s only in the epi as a flashback of Nikita thinking about should she help lead division

Comment by rondre sleaze – May 18, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure it’s not Michael, I read an interview a couple days ago somewhere where Shane West said something about getting ready to film season 3 but possibly being out for a couple of episodes or something. My guesses are Birkhoff, Owen, Sean, Percy, or maybe Roan or Amanda. I personally really, really hope it’s not Birkhoff, but I have a bad feeling that it might be……..

Comment by Becca – May 18, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better not kill off Birkhoff!!!

Comment by Meh – May 18, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me Killing Birkhoff would be as horrible as revenge killing Nolan.

Comment by smidnite – May 18, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shane West wouldn’t have gone to CW Upfronts if they killed him off.

Comment by Nicole – May 18, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless Shonda Rhimes snuck in and wrote the Nikita Season Finale there is no wail in hell that Michael dies.

Comment by lostclarity – May 18, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well its not Nikita that is for sure. lol. As long as its not Alex, Michael or Birkoff i am fine with it but i have a feeling it will be one of them. Then again it could be Percy, Amanda, Ryan (again) lol, any of them really. Can’t wait to see it. Thanking CW right now for renewing it. Low ratings who cares, the show is one of the good ones.

Comment by greysfan – May 18, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really care who dies so long as it’s not Birkhoff. Sean, Alex, Michael, they’re all expendable. Birkhoff is not. And if they kill Birkhoff, I refuse to watch next season.

Comment by LS – May 18, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a really bad feeling its going to be Brirkoff….

Comment by Sparky – May 18, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe ROAN! ROAN could die, really! As long as it’s not Nikita, Michael, Birkhoff, Alex, Sean, Ryan! Owen also could die, or Percy, or Amanda, or Ari, Ari could try take over Division by killing Percy so Nikita would have to work with Percy to save him, so that Ari doesn’t “get” Division, maybe?! I’m going crazy!

Comment by Marlene – May 18, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is gonna be EPIC! cant freaking wait to see it

And season 3 here we come and season 4 is a really good chance also for syndication purposes

This show is one of a kind!

Comment by Michael – May 18, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as birkoff and alex dont die im happy. still holding out hope those 2 will end up together, mainly because birkoff needs someone and they seem to have great chemistry with each other

Comment by Alan – May 18, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will most probably be Birkhoff. He’s definitly a character that everyone loves and he would definitly be missed. Obviously Nikita doesn´t die, Ryan doesn´t die either (otherwise it wouldn’t make sense becoming a season 3 regular). Pretty sure that Michael, Alex and Shawn don’t die. Don’t think it’ll be Amanda, Percy or Roan, since besides the fact that they’re the bad guys, they’re not exactly “fan favorite characters” compared to the others, at least not to me. On the other hand, Birkhoff is the best character and the funniest and he would definitly be missed by NIKITA fans…

Comment by Tess – May 18, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Alex and Birkhoff make it out okay I’m good. I really like Michael but if Ryan is becoming a series regular I can see Michael being sacrificed. I’d rather it be Sean though, not a major fan of the character.

Comment by Tim – May 18, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw the finale already! 2 characters will die. And major twist by the end. A huge game changer for season 3.

Comment by Mark P – May 18, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont care,what they do.Birkhoff is the only humor this show has.if they kill him,he cannot be replaced. I don’t think its him,because hes not in division.Nikita(Def) and Alex will most likely live.The only ones that might die is shawn and *weeps* :( Mi..Micheal : T_T

Comment by June – May 18, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Percy.
    Now it’s time for Nikita, Michael and Ryan to run Division.

Comment by -MaK- – May 18, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its birkhoff personally I dont want it to be him I wud rather it be Roan

Comment by nikita friday – May 18, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Percy and Roan both die.

Comment by AJ – May 18, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Silverstein also did another interview on 5/18 saying they are debating in how to bring Roan back seeing he dies so many times but always bounces back. Granted Percy is gone and Roan was his right hand man but they could develope something for Roan to make another return to advenage Percy’s death and for the rest of the run on the Nikita Series.

Comment by Marci – May 20, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its gonna be owen.d series interviews ave read already leaves d others out and maggie said its som1 close 2 her.

Comment by Folaqnikita – June 7, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We want roan to come back he can’t die like a little punk

Comment by Christian – September 14, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post