Grimm Star David Giuntoli Says Finale 'Holds All the Answers,' Teases Season 2

David Giuntoli Grimm FinaleOn tonight’s Season 1 finale of the freshman procedural Grimm (NBC, 9/8c), Nick continues his quest to find his parents’ killers, stumbles upon a Woman in Black and perhaps even spills the beans about his fairy scary double-life to someone special.

Here, series star David Giuntoli talks Nick’s transformation, teases the return of the mysterious gold coins and drops a bombshell: One character may not make it to Season 2!

TVLINE | It seems like the finale is coming full-circle with the mysterious gold coins and the introduction of Nick’s Grimm past, to someone new and a “woman in black.” What can you tell us about those three big plot points?
They’re all ultimately connected. The gold coins are a magnet for some pretty bad stuff, so anyone who wants them will have to find them. We are also going to be introduced to the woman in black, but I can’t say much about her, except that she will have an absolutely pivotal role in Nick’s further trajectory and also the greater mythology — we’re going to be learning a lot! He’s on a quest to figure out who killed his parents and he won’t stop; there will be no end to his journey to try to figure out who did this to them and why.

TVLINE | I heard there are multiple cliffhangers. Will any of the mysteries be solved?
I can say that by the end [of the finale], you probably won’t be as confused anymore; things will be answered. But there will be, like, three major cliffhangers. Here’s one: We may or may not lose one of our main characters! Nick will find out a lot about his past, and at the end? Maybe one of us doesn’t make it to next season.

TVLINE | What about the shady Captain? Will we find out more about him in the finale? It seems like he knew more about Nick being a Grimm before Nick even did.
The Captain’s always had the goods on Nick, but Nick does not have the goods on the Captain. Even at this point, I don’t think he really knows or suspects that anything is going on, and maybe neither does the viewer. Next season we’re going to be learning a lot about the Captain and what he comes from, as well as Aunt Marie’s past.

RELATED | Grimm Exclusive: Check Out the Never Before Seen Creature Sketches!

TVLINE | The Captain isn’t the only one keeping secrets — Juliette won’t accept Nick’s proposal until he opens up to her. Is that what triggers him to confide in her about his Grimm side?
Nick isn’t going to be able to keep this secret much longer. I always think for anyone who has lied for a prolonged period of time, it just gets more and more difficult; you have to create more and more lies, and you kind of go a little crazy. Even though he may want to keep this secret, I think he wants desperately to tell someone. But we don’t know for sure that it’s going to be Juliette!

TVLINE | If he could, would Nick stop being a Grimm completely?
You know what the cool thing is about Nick? I think for almost all of Season 1, he would have wanted this to go away; if he had a choice, he would have said no to being a Grimm. But I think starting at the end of this season, he wouldn’t. He’s owning it, and he’s starting to realize he has this responsibility and amazing natural ability to deal with this stuff! He’s a good guy and he needs to use his powers to save what elements of society he can.

TVLINE | Is that how you feel he has grown this season?
Without a doubt. He’s accepted that he’s a Grimm. At first, it was just constant befuddlement and disbelief. He knows what he is, and I think he knows what he has to do, and it’s just at the point where he’s about to come out of the closet on that one. Or, come out of the trailer! [Laughs]

RELATED | Exclusive: Grimm Bumps Bree Turner to Regular

TVLINE | Generally, what can we expect from Season 2?
In Season 1, we were just focusing on the procedural; we had a good time being Law & Order: Special Fairytales Unit. [Laughs] I think in Season 2, we’re going to have more of a macro exploration of the powers that be, governments and the world order buried underneath that nobody knows about — except for those in power.

TVLINE | Is there anything on your Grimm bucket list? The show has really taken off and was renewed early
I’d love to get everybody in on it! I would like to bring my people in on it; it would be fun to see Nick lead this little army, his little Portland precinct, into the fray.

TVLINE | Would it be like The Avengers, Grimm-style?
Well, you know, as good of cops as Sgt. Wu and Hank are, they aren’t superheroes — they’re humans. So it would be a rag-tag, like Bad News Bears moreso than The Avengers. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Could you describe the finale in one sentence?
The finale holds all the answers.

TVLINE | Really — all of them?
I think it will scratch some itches!

Comments (31)

• Six seasons and a movie!!

Comment by Susen – May 18, 2012 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hate it when people use this for shows other than Community (or The Cape)…

Comment by Lance – May 18, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Lance, don’t hate. Just chill.

Comment by sincere troll – May 18, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised how much I’ve come to live this show! I’m really excited for the finale and season 2. :)

Comment by Michelle – May 18, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Michelle, this show became mine and my family’s favorite show! Thank Grimm it’s Friday, right?!

Comment by TJ – May 18, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was a bit rocky at first but has really grown into a good program! I’m happy it got renewed and I’m hoping for a long run.

Comment by KD – May 18, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to this and I want to see him leading his little army too. But I think of it more like Buffy and her gang.

Comment by Renee – May 18, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has far surpassed my previous Friday-night go-to (Supernatural) this year, and this is the finale I’ll be tuning in live to tonight. The show looks great, Giuntoli has really blossomed in the lead role, I find the onscreen dynamic between him and Silas Weir Mitchell a delight to watch, and I also appreciate how much care the writers and producers go to in order to ensure that the “secondary” characters get to shine.

Comment by Kate – May 18, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IMO, Grimm is THE best new show from this season! I’ll admit that at first I thought the plot sounded ridiculous. One Sunday afternoon, after I cleaned out my DVR, I was bored so I decided to check out the first 4 episodes via the on-demand channel. By the end, I was hooked. I can’t wait for tonight!

Comment by Lorie – May 18, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Must-see TV for me! I love the standalones, and the emerging backstory.
    Also, I’ve come to appreciate just how hot David Giuntoli is! ;)

Comment by Kay – May 18, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve had a crush on david giuntoli since he was on road rules!! and it’s really cool to see him really have worked his way up the acting ranks (his guest starring appearance as one half of the gay soldier couple on Grey’s Anatomy was one of their best episodes)…and as a Portlander, I love how this show has really embraced Portland & uses the city’s quirks to their advantage…can’t wait for season two!!

Comment by Maggie – May 18, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show one of my face began watching and was so so but I haven’t watched one and can’t wait for season 2

Comment by Vanessa – May 18, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really enjoying Grimm, thanks in large part to the expanded role Monroe has played. If he’s the main character that doesn’t make it through the finale, I may be out for Season 2…

Comment by BadgerRulez! – May 18, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah I’m fairly positive Monroe is safe. I think Juliette is injured in some way (it looks like that in the preview), but he says MAYBE someone won’t make it. Which to me says everybody probably makes it.

Comment by Renee – May 18, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • An interview with Giuntoli on Hulu said that Juliet gets scratched by Adalind’s cat so Nick flips, because what if it’s like…a witch cat?

Comment by This – May 18, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i would be heartbroken if it was Monroe! :(

Comment by Elyse – May 18, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It won’t be Monroe. If anyone, it will be Hank or Juliette.

Comment by Flora – May 18, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He says we don’t know for sure he’s going to tell Juliette, but the promo shows that he does. Lame interview.

Comment by Terri – May 18, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe the promo is just using a “dream sequence” where he tells Juliette. Shows have done that before and I hate it. But we shall see soon enough.

Comment by Melissa A. White – May 18, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He tried to but Juliette didn’t believe him and she faint before Monroe show her his real face. I think David was referring to that

Comment by M – May 19, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh hello, who is this David? Me thinks I should start watching this show in repeats to catch up.

Comment by Alex – May 18, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw the finale. The injury to Juliette will be used to brush aside Nick’s confession, but it shouldn’t. She needs to know, and either leave or help. The “Lady In Black” was a complete surprise, and will make next season even better.

Comment by Billy Endive – May 18, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t so sure about the show at first but after only a few episodes I was hooked. The finale was absolutely awesome in my opinion and I can not wait for season 2 later this summer!

Comment by Hannah R. – May 18, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I about fell off my chair when the lady in black told Nick she was his mom…Will have to watch episodes again and go over the trailer. Cannot wait for season two.

Comment by Tami – May 18, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by M – May 19, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My jaw hit the floor when the lady in black said she was Nick’s mom. I expected her to be a Grimm or some sort of Wessen helping Nick

Comment by Alex A. – May 19, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 84 ..watch every episode with 12 year old granddaughter..just shows how this series appeals to any age female!!,we both think Monroe is our fave character.

Comment by violet easton – May 19, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does season 2 begin? Can’t hardly wait.

Comment by Nancy Morgan – May 19, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found myself watching this from day 1 and haven’t missed an episode! It has exceeded my expectations and I can’t wait for season 2! I am so glad there is finally a tv series worthy of watching!!!

Comment by Alicia Canty~Sanches – May 20, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent show, started watching from the first episode, the only episode my girlfriend and I missed was the one where Rosalee was introduced and her brothers death, etc, with the spice shop. Monroe and his humourous lines are one of the favorite aspects of the show. The drama, suspense the stories, the twists, are only some of the dozens of reasons why this show should be carried on for atleast another 3 or 4 seasons, I can really see potential….the creative creatures are endless!! Can’t wait for season 2. Fridays won’t be the same without Grimm, who needs to goto the clubs when this show is on.

Comment by Chad K – May 21, 2012 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent show, shame season one nearly at an end for us Brits!!! It will be sadly missed, bring on season two!!!

Comment by Emma – June 9, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post