A&E Cancels Breakout Kings After Two Seasons

Breakout Kings CancelledA&E has pulled the plug on Breakout Kings after two low-rated seasons.

The show’s demise was foreshadowed earlier this week when Kings co-creator Matt Olmstead joined NBC’s new drama Chicago Fire as exec producer/showrunner.

Co-star Malcolm Goodwin confirmed the cancellation on Twitter Thursday evening and thanked fans for “the luv & support over the last 2 seasons! It’s been a fun experience! Much luv! On to the next.”

1. Tori says:

Worse news ever. I loved this show!!!

2. Nina says:

Saw it coming, I guess. It was a decent show.

3. Kate says:

this makes me very sad, especially since jimmi simpson wont be on my tv :( hope he finds something good bc he deserves it!!

4. AmyLynn says:

Oh why…I really enjoyed this show…this just sux!

5. SusieJ says:

That is too bad! I really enjoyed the show.

6. mirvin365 says:

Ugh why do they always cancel shows with cliffhangers!? It’s aggravating!

7. Kim R says:

It sure seems the good shows get canceled and reality TV is taking over. :(

• smidnite says:

Well… This IS A&E the proud home of Storage wars, Parking Wars….

• Maggie says:

You said it-the really Good Shows like Breakout Kings and In Plain Sight get scrapped and replaced by Rednecks, Beards, Hoarders and Hoggers.. As if we don’t get enough of that in the Real World.

• Barbara says:

Preachin’ to the choir!! The series was scheduled against tough opponents. As much as I enjoyed it, there were times when I watched another series first and caught “Kings” as a repeat. Sunday night has been jam-packed with terrific programs for several seasons. It has become THE night to watch brilliant productions with exceptional acting. Whoever makes the programming decisions to drop a first-rate, fast paced series that is witty, clever, fun, with great character development—should be forced to sit alone in a dark little room watching marathons of all those reality programs featuring ducks, beards, rattlesnakes, logging, pawn shops, alligators, “Housewives”, screaming, law breaking, car stealing, hog chasing, creature catching, sirens blaring, excessive babymaking, and pure stupidity. Have a padded room on a closed psych unit on standby. Please reconsider bringing “Kings” back on a different night. It would quickly become a hit with other viewers as it is with me!

• Penny says:

Amen. Just found out about the cancellation. I have no reason to ever watch A&E. I completely agree about the garbage left. Oh we’ll, I really need to read and play with my grandsons more anyway. I also loved In Plain Sight (different network) but I guess clever writing and compelling characters are too complicated for the “reality” TV lovers. Luckily there are still good books and music…..

8. Jenn says:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I love that show!!

9. Damn I actually enjoyed this show. Oh well.

10. Tracy says:

No Way! I LOVE this show and it ended on a GREAT cliffhanger! Is there someone else to pick this up?

11. Cathy says:

Not happy. Jimmie Simpson was a fun guilty pleasure.

12. Bookwurm32191 says:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This is a low blow!!!! “Breakout Kings” was the only reason I’d suffer through episodes of “Storage Wars.” If it wasn’t for the “Criminal Minds” reruns, I’d stop watching A&E altogether!!!!

13. Rachel says:

Figures. One of my favs butes the dust again. Im really loosing hope in watching anything anymore. Im to the point where Im just going to wait till the series there coarse till there series finale then watch it on Netflex.

14. Cash says:

Oh good. This leaves more room for Storage Wars and Criminal Minds marathons.

Welp, there goes my last reason to watch A&E. Hope you enjoyed my limited viewership while it lasted.

15. smidnite says:

This really makes me worried for The Glades.

16. Jennifer says:

ANOTHER FAVORITE SHOW CANCELLED?? HOLY HELL, what is going on!!? Pretty soon there’s gonna be nothing to watch!

17. Dar says:

This sucks great show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. William says:

That blows, season 2 was a bigger improvement in my opinion.

19. Rachel says:

Aww, that’s a shame. I’m not surprised, but I am sad. I loved that show!! I hope Jimmi Simpson finds something else soon, he’s awesome.

20. Mary Pond says:

What a shame, gonna miss this odd group of misfits which had interesting stories and great interaction. When Alonzo left it was the beginning of the end. Will look for Jimmy S (or Mary as he is known in Psych) on his next gig.

21. Lisa says:

Bummer !
    Another good show bites the dust…

22. rainey13 says:

Sad news – I thought the show was getting better. And, of course, they leave us with a cliffhanger…

23. Bartleby says:

Really disappointing. This show really hit its stride in the 2nd season. Was looking forward to more…

24. CC says:

Stupid A&E…come on Netflix!!!

25. LynnH says:

Ugh. Awful news. Such a great show… obviously it was on the wrong network. Always well-written, suspenseful, great acting… I looked forward to it every week. One hell of a finale! I will miss Lloyd Lowry most of all. Let’s hope another show snags Jimmi Simpson because he’s just too good not to be on TV.

• Bartleby says:

We’ve still got It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia! Maybe the McPoyles will become series regulars!

26. GS says:

Well this makes 6 of my faves cancelled so far and it sucks! I love Breakout Kings! Hate we’ll never kniw what happens with Damien. Makes me fearful to watch anything new cause networks yank them so dang fast. Not happy!

27. Joe says:

MAN THIS SUCKS!!

28. M3rc Nate says:

NOOOO! Damnit! I just watched started watching this show (watching the first season on Netflix, DLing the rest and catching up live the last bunch on TV). DAMNIT i loved this show. Not only that…but the cliffhanger was a true cliffhanger. I hope the creator(s) of the show at least tell us what would have happened.

29. RON says:

Not suprised after seeing laz alonso on nbc’s infamous trailer.

30. dexx says:

Ron, Laz Alonzo has been gone from Breakout Kings since the first episode of season 2 so his being on a new show wasn’t a telltale sign.

31. zombiehugs37 says:

All the good shows get cancelled while shows like American Idol, Big Brother, Survivor and all that crap will go on forever.

32. Carrie says:

What?! I really liked this show, and they set things up nicely for a very interesting 3rd season. What a bummer.

33. bah says:

This suck, BIG TIME.

34. Groove says:

Could has guess this, really did not want it to happen though, would have been nice to finish the cliffhanger from season 2 off though, did they turn on Ray or not??

35. Lesley says:

I am so fed up of shows being cancelled and being left on cliffhangers. Sure, the studio is responsible for the cancellation but I’d like to see showrunners being more considerate of the fans. They must have known for a while the show was at risk yet they leave S2 with a hell of a cliffhanger. I hate them all right now.

36. sara says:

Aaah no this cannot be true!? I love this show, been watching since the beginning and Damn that ending?! Totally sucks that we won’t know what the “cons” chose to do!

37. I have never seen such a mess in television as the last few years. The “powers that be” just don’t get the changing climate. There is such a dearth of talent and excellent writing in so much of the programming, but the suits just don’t value any of that. Customers are going to be more and more reluctant to invest their time in a new program because it’s sure to be cancelled soon anyway. I can count on one hand, one finger actually, that program that I stopped watching too early because of the rumors of its demise (Fringe). Few shows are going to bring the numbers of yesteryear. There are just too many choices out there. I am watching more and reading less (tsk tsk tsk) because I have a DVR and On Demand available to me. How much do they want me to watch???? (I am “dancing as fast as I can” syndrome) This particular program (Breakout Kings), I have dvr’ed (another new “verb”) so that I can marathon it over the summertime. Boo on A&E.

38. Pepper says:

“On to the next.”??? That’s nice.

I kind of have a feeling that most shows from now on will last only 1 or 2 seasons. TPTB don’t care anymore. It’s sort of like, when I go on a diet, and the very next day I still don’t look like Gisele Bundchen so I give up and start something new.

You know how Ausiello jokes about the MIA channel? I would so quit my job and watch that.

39. Kori says:

Boo :( Sad day.

40. Shaun says:

When I saw the show I was like dang,Juliette actress was on Animorphs,lol.

41. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

What a shame, I loved Breakout Kings :-(

42. sarah says:

I really liked this show and I am upset!

43. cincyman says:

this sucks! i guess if you are a good show these days, that is the kiss of death. GOOD SHOWS DIE… RIDICULOUS SHOWS STAY ON!?!?

44. RandomJ says:

WTF!? Another good show cancelled while stupid, lame reality shows live on…
    A&E cancels Breakout Kings but leaves Dog the Bounty Hunter, Hoarders, & Parking Wars…
    I’m so freaking sick of good shows getting cancelled over these stupid endless reality shows!

45. Jennifer says:

And once again smart interesting, entertaining television is sacked for crappy reality television yet again. Another blow to intelligent tv. Thanks A&E…was hoping you were above it all.

46. Becky says:

It’s sad that those of us who actually have a brain and therefore can’t stand stupid reality tv no longer have anything to watch!!! Loved this show!!!!!!!

47. DarkHorse says:

Breakout Kings was one of my favorite shows and I almost contemplated to start collecting the show on DVD/Blu-ray for rainy day viewing. Now, it is not even worth it.

I agree with the earlier comment about showrunners not leaving cliffhangers at the end of a season. Ideally, showrunners should put together an exit strategy and commitment from network to a series finale if they ever end a season with a cliffhanger. Not all shows can be like ‘Nip/Tuck’ or ‘The Shield’ and run their course, but shows like ‘Rubicon’ and ‘Breakout Kings’ illustrate the need to tie up loose ends.

IMHO.

48. Helen says:

Oh no, I want more :(

49. Kelly says:

Worst news EVER =( I will miss Lloyd and the whole gang. Another great show bites the dust. Stupid A&E. Probably needed the time slot for another Storage Hoarding Duck show. BOOOOOOOOOO