Ratings: NCIS and Private Practice Rise in Finales, Glee Dips, Cougar Town Drops

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

NCIS wrapped its ninth season — in which a lotta people were left in jeopardy — with an audience of 18.7 million total viewers while scoring a 3.5 rating — up 3 and 13 percent week-to-week and topping Tuesday on both counts.

Private Practice‘s season-ender (7.1 mil/1.8) also saw gains, up 22 and 29 percent and placing second behind the second half of NCIS: LA‘s two-hour finale (which was flat at 15.1 mil/3.0).

RELATED |  Fall TV Grid: Find Out When Private Practice Will Air!

Elsewhere….

* The 90210 (which is renewed, really!) season finale, at 1.1 mil/0.5, was down 5 and 17 percent week-to-week. L.A. Complex led out of that with 565K/0.2. Oof.

* Among reality fare, America’s Got Talent Night 2 drew 10.4 mil and a 3.4, down a smidge from Monday’s premiere. Dancing With the Stars (13 mil/2.2) dipped just a few percentage points. The Fashion Star finale (renewed, really!) was up from last week’s 8 o’clock airing, to 5 mil/1.6.

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Complete Guide to the New Shows

* Glee‘s double episode averaged 6 mil/2.5, down 10 and 7 percent.

* Cougar Town’s double helping averaged 3.33 mil/1.0m dropping 28 and 33 percent.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? And What Got Canned?

Comments (43)

• I’m glad Cougar Town is dropping. I stopped watching it after I saw the grandfather bashing a vending machine and then bragging about ripping off a candy bar from it What kind of morals and values is this show presenting to the youth of America?! And that scene wasn’t even funny.

Comment by Lee – May 16, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope you’re kidding.
      If you are, congrats on being sort of clever.
      If not, I weep for your offspring.

Comment by Sam – May 16, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TV isn’t supposed to pass morals and values to the youth of America, their parents are. If those parents don’t like the values of a TV show, said parents shouldn’t let their kids watch it or have it on when their kids are in the room. They could also use moments like that to talk to their kids about right and wrong. My parents would have done that because they didn’t leave the TV to educate me.

Comment by ChynnaBlue – May 16, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen to that! Sadly, the loudmouths active in parents organizations would rather spend their time writing letters and emails to complain about what’s on TV, than on actually making sure their kids don’t have easy access to it in their own homes.

Comment by B – May 17, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you hadn’t stopped watching you would have seen that character was brought to justice and put to death for his egregious crimes against America, so there now you may watch again.

Comment by josh – May 16, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL

Comment by B – May 16, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Out of all the smut on TV these days, you choose THIS as an example of sending a poor message to children? HAHAHAHA

Comment by Lauren – May 17, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Cougar Town – give us adults something to enjoy…..like Big Carl (RIP by the way)! ABC kind of deserves this low rating that CT got last night – since they are movig to TBS I could care less what their ratings are for the remainder of time on ABC. Suck it ABC!!!

Comment by davey – May 16, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With ratings like this it appears ABC made the right decision. Since ABC Studios own CT, they will still make money off of it with the TBS move. For the fans of this show, prove ABC wrong next year and gloat and post if/when it gets better ratings.

Comment by Cris – May 16, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait to see what TBS does with Cougar Town. They seem to be really enthusiastic about it and willing to put money into PROMOTING it (remember what promotion is, ABC?). Either way, getting at least one more season of my beloved Cougar Town makes me very happy! :)

Comment by Ari – May 16, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree! How can anyone NOT love CT? I was actually sad that Big Carl passed… :-(

Comment by Babygate – May 16, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong.. i love my dose of my trash TV through 90210 and i love Annalynne McCord … but seriously CW, you renewed 90210 and cancelled The Secret Circle? Seriously?? Even rating wise The Secret Circle (1.24 mil/0.5) was higher than 90210 (1.1 mil/0.5) – SAD!!!

Comment by R – May 16, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TSC is probably more expensive to make and 90210 is a syndication candidate I think. A show in its first year should be able to draw more viewers than that, surely.

Comment by Mitholas – May 16, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Especially considering it was scheduled behind the network’s biggest hit. Still, knowing 90210(and Gossip Girl) were both renewed and TSC and Ringer weren’t is pretty criminal, even for the CW.

Comment by ChrisGa – May 16, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gossip Girl doesn’t really count. It was once the flagship of the CW. It also only got 11 or 12 episodes. I don’t think Ringer ever recovered from the less than stellar pilot and TSC seemed to lack the punch that the first season of TVD did.

Comment by Ari – May 16, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was really disappointed to hear Secret Circle got the ax, it was the type of show that takes a little while to get into, the second half of the season was way better than the first half. Plus the finale looked like it opeded alot of doors for the next season.

Comment by hmyers – May 16, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how can they cancel ringer and renew 90210 with these kind of ratings

Comment by ollie – May 16, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 90210 is a huge international brand, it’ll make more money worldwide than the other two shows, however I do feel that another series could have catapulted Secret Circle into the same league as Vampire Diaries.

Comment by Liam Tait (@brilliam_t) – May 16, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s time that I’ve decided to give up NCIS and NCIS: L.A. for next season and the season after and way to go L.A. Kings. You da man, Jonathan Quick.

Comment by bad kevin – May 16, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like 90210 and am glad it is coming back!

Comment by sarah – May 16, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I can stop worrying about CT coming back, as it is moving to TBS. I read an interview with Bill Lawrence that seemed to indicate TBS is very interested in CT becoming a flagship show for them, and they will invest time and money into it. I hope CT will finally get the support it deserves.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 16, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m bummed about LA Complex because I kinda actually like it. It’s the first CW that’s ever appealed to me.

Also, the phrase is “COULDN’T CARE LESS”, saying you could care less implies you do care. I don’t normally bring up stuff like this except I’ve seen it used like 5 times today alone. lol

Comment by DamianVargas – May 16, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m bummed too, I don’t understand why it’s not doing better, it’s just as trashy (in the good way) as all other CW shows.

Comment by B – May 16, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because saying ‘i don’t care’ would hurt more?

Comment by Al – May 19, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bravo to Private Practice on a fantastic episode last night. Emmy nod, thy name is Caterina Scorsone, she was AMAZING.

Comment by Maggie – May 16, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. Private Practice delivered for their fans, especially Caterina Scorsone. You couldn’t be a mom and not be moved by the performances of Kadee Strickland and Caterina. Let’s hope the Emmy nominations recognize these terrific ladies.

Comment by Linderella – May 16, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think you even had to be a mom. Just human. What a well written and well performed show. So very glad that Private Practice is coming back.

Comment by Bobbi – May 16, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know that Grey’s Anatomy is the show that gets all of the attention but at this point, Private Practice is far superior. Their acting staff is better and tighter than GA’s bloated crew. The writing is also tighter because they aren’t trying to service 15 characters. Last night’s episode was great and Caterina Scorsone is amazing. Truly amazing.

Comment by Ari – May 16, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I couldn’t agree more. While the situations are often just as insane, it also feels so much more real than anything i’ve seen on Grey’s lately. I think bc the ratings aren’t as high as they’re aren’t huge expectations for the show, they been able to do risky stories & really develop these core characters. Even Amelia & Sheldon (& Jake to some extent) even though they weren’t part of the core group originally, I enjoy the characters. this has been a very very strong season, right down to Griffin Gluck (Mason)–his episodes around his mom’s death were superb.

Comment by Margaret – May 16, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, sounds like everyone (other than NCIS’s and Private Practice) bombed last night. 90210 is my guilty pleasure, but holey smokes those numbers are bad. What’s even worse is that LA Complex continues to drop from it’s opening numbers, but CW is still pushing out episodes. Reruns would bring in better numbers!
    I’m so happy for Private Practice to get a double digit increase! It’s one of my favorite shows, and while I know it’s only gotten the go ahead for a 13 episode order, I’m hoping it brings in good numbers next season and they extend to a full season. Even better, they jump off the fence and renew it another season. Who knows what will happen… a lot can happen in one season.

Comment by Kristen – May 16, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please people quit watching AGT and DWTS!!! If these type shows continue to lead ratings pretty soon I won’t need a TV

Comment by Boiler – May 16, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love NCIS i was disappointed in the ending i do not want any of the team to die, they all play a different part in making them a great team, now JLC she just got to go she is yuk to watch

Comment by Kim Spain – May 16, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyy for NCIS! Last night’ season finale was absolutely perfect. Kudos to all the cast & crew. I will bite my fingernails till September!

Comment by tyler-ncis – May 16, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope that ducky doesnt die from the heart attack. he is the “nigel murray” of the ncis world even though he came first. He is actually my favorite character, tied with abby.

Comment by TJCrinc – May 16, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didnt the actor who plays Ducky just sign a new contract? Unless he’s gonna be in “flashbacks” all next season, I doubt he would be the one to go. I *think* Cote, Mike, and Sean are the ones whose contracts are up, but I really dont see killing one of them off either. My guess would be Palmer if they insist on killing a prominent character. Or maybe Vance.

Comment by Pat D. – May 16, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David McCallum renewed his contract, and Cote renewed hers for two years last season, so the only people with unsigned (that we know of) contracts are Pauley, Michael and Sean. However, Lauren Holly (Jenny) signed a two year contract and then they killed her off, but I don’t think that will happen at all with Ducky. Palmer is safe. Gary Glasberg has been talking about doing some more character-centered episodes for season 10, including development with Tony (so he’s safe) and Abby (so she’s safe). At this point, the only people who I believe have a chance of dying at all are McGee and Vance, although I am almost positive they won’t kill off McGee. I am not sure about Vance, however, considering that we last saw him in the building before the bomb went off.

Comment by Callie N. – May 16, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Tony has been wanting off the show ever since he was replace by Ziva so I do not think he safe in fact I think these is how they will be getting rid of him

Comment by Michael – May 17, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m just using info I’ve gotten from interviews with GG. I’m slightly confused. Did you mean ever since Kate was replaced by Ziva? If so, i do have a response to that. There was a rumor going around that Michael was unhappy with the whole Tiva thing, and that he might leave, but that was not true. Michael (from what I hear) is very happy where he is. Also, he and Cote are EXTREMELY close. He would never leave the show because of her.

Comment by Callie N. – May 17, 2012 05:12 AM PDT
          • I kind of wish Weatherly would leave the show. Means that I could stop watching. I’m indifferent to it now and not really invested any more.

They have brought down his character in order to elevate a certain other person’s character-insulting him at every opportunity-questioning his qualifications, personal life, morals…

Might not tune in next September.

Comment by ninamags – May 17, 2012 01:28 PM PDT
          • Who?

Comment by Callie N. – May 17, 2012 02:10 PM PDT
  • ABC and Shonda Rhimes have me in tears constantly. Between Private Practice and Grey’s Anatomy I cannot make it through an episode without crying. Watching Amelia holding her baby born without a brain had me in inconsolable tears. And all the news and promos about the Grey’s finale are just hyper-emotional, nerve wrecking, not to mention shocking have opened the tear-gates as well and Scandal excellent story of forbidden love is another heart breaker. Well played…

Comment by Babygate – May 16, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My question is how is the CW even ALIVE? They NEVER get soild ratings.

Comment by S – May 16, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they ever had because when they became one WB and UPN that was around the time most of the shows of those network were ending

Comment by Michael – May 17, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post