The Voice's Juliet Simms on Arranging 'Roxanne,' Living in a 'Man's World' and Avoiding Drama

Get More: Interviews, Reality TV

juliet simmsIt may be a man’s man’s man’s world when it comes to winning reality singing competitions these days, but Juliet Simms — runner-up on Season 2 of The Voice — takes it in stride. “You have to toughen up your skin and just prove you can rock,” she says. TVLine caught up with the gravelly voiced songbird to discuss the highs (“Roxanne”) and lows (“Cryin’”) of her Voice trajectory, the misinterpreted adjective that almost cost her fans during the Battle Rounds, and her feelings on the battle between coaches Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine.

TVLINE | Before we talk about your run on The Voice, let’s dive into what you were doing before you auditioned. I know you said on air that you’d had five previous record deals fall apart. What is that like psychologically? Did you ever think about giving up and saying, “I’ve got to get a day job”?
It’s funny, because The Voice came right at the breaking point. I had just gotten off of the Vans Warped Tour, my fourth time doing it, and I’d just put out a new album. I really thought that this record would take off and do really well, but I wasn’t getting the support from the label I was with at the time. And I was starting to really not know what my future would look l like. I didn’t see me in music forever anymore. It was getting to be way too hard, and then this opportunity popped up, and it was kind of like, “let’s give this one more shot.”

TVLINE | With so much experience under your belt, was it weird to think about going on a reality show and singing for votes?
I never thought that I would do anything like this. My manager brought me the opportunity because someone had approached her, and at first I was like, “No, I’m not going to do that.” Then I watched Season 1, and it was just so cool. It really seemed like they were picking singers that had worked hard for [a music career] and had been doing this for a long time. I never looked at myself as an American Idol singer, you know, like with the crazy runs. But after watching The Voice, it was catering to something entirely different, and that’s what really made me want to try out for it.

TVLINE | I recap The Voice for TV Line, and after your Battle Round with Sarah Golden, there were a lot of comments along the lines of, “I don’t like Juliet’s attitude.” A number of people thought that you had said that you were louder and prettier than Sarah, but I think you might have said that you were louder and grittier.
I watched the episode, and all of the sudden I was reading Tweets and people were saying, “Oh my God, I can’t believe she said she was prettier,” and I’m laughing that they think I said that. It would be so out of character for me to ever say that. The whole thing was just funny to me at first. Then it was kind of like, “Great, now America thinks I’m this cocky person, and I’m not,” and so I did what I could. I Tweeted. I did a little blog about it, and made it very clear. I said grittier.

TVLINE | Is it strange to turn a duet into a competitive sport?
Sarah and I talked about it a lot because she is the same as me. She’s a singer-songwriter and has done all these original songs. We’re friends, and it just felt very uncomfortable and very unnatural [to compete in that format]. At the end of the day, though, you had to deal with it. You’re the one who signed up for this, so you can’t really get up there and complain too much.

TVLINE | To me, your first live solo performance, “Roxanne,” was the best moment of the season, hands down. I’m curious, had you ever performed that song prior to The Voice? How did you come up with that arrangement? And what happened on the stage to make it so magical?
Oh, thank you. I received that song from Cee Lo a week or two prior, and I’m not going to lie, it was not my favorite Police song in the entire world. Whatever song I’m singing, I have to feel passionate about it. That is part of my art form, it’s the way that I sing songs. So I had to take the song and break it down. I picked up my acoustic and I started fitting it to the way that I sing. I thought about dynamics, and I thought about it musically and arrangement-wise and production-wise. I thought about what would give this song the best impact, thought about what I wanted to get across. I just came up with it one night sitting on my floor in my living room.

TVLINE | Did you start to get a feel for it emotionally as you were deconstructing it?
Yeah, well first of all, we know what the song is about, and that is something to feel passionate about. [Prostitution] is a sad thing. I thought about women who actually subject themselves to this life — let’s just say hooking — and I know that’s a dark, bad thing. That is a dark part of this world which would be better if it didn’t exist, and that’s how I communicated it, and that’s how I connected to it and  what I tried to convey.

TVLINE | I know you had said on air that your Quarterfinal performance of Aerosmith’s “Cryin’” was not your personal best, and I agreed it was a little bit of a letdown after “Roxanne.” Was it the song, was it the wings that were strapped to your back? If you could do it over again what you would have done?
It was a weird week. You come off this really great performance, and the very next day you realize, “Oh s***, I have to pick the next song and I have to do this all over again.” It is insane, and you want to make sure it’s the right song and there’s so much else going on, too. You tend to over think things. I think with “Cryin’,” it was too much of the obvious choice. With “Roxanne,” no one would really have thought I would ever cover that, and I think “Cryin’” was just a little bit too in the pocket. Plus, it was a weird week. People were leaving [because of instant eliminations]. I was bummed.

TVLINE | Was it tough to perform with giant wings strapped to your back? They looked really cool, but I wondered how heavy they were.
Not at all, they feel like they’re three pounds. I could barely feel that they were on my back.

TVLINE Your other big moment this season was “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World.” The week prior, you needed Cee Lo to save you. Did that turn up the pressure for your Semifinal performance — “I’ve got to kill it this week!” — or is that not how you’re wired when you go on stage?
At that point, it was like, “You know, okay, cool. I made it to the Top 8. Awesome. This is my chance now to get out there and do what I want to do, sing the song the way I want to sing it. If this is going to be your last performance just go out there and be very happy with what you do before you leave.” In the same sense, having been told that I was in the Bottom 2 the week prior, it lit this fire under me. I was f****** annyoyed at myself for letting that happen to be totally honest.

TVLINE | While you were performing “Man’s World,” did you think, “Oh wow, this is going really well”?
When I’m singing, I’m not thinking about what the audience is thinking of me. I’m really just in the moment — to the point where I black out a little bit — and it’s not until after I’m done that I come to. So at that point, I rely on audience reaction and the coaches’ reactions to know if I did a good job.

TVLINE | Before you performed “Man’s World,” you talked about being a female rock singer competing in a male-dominated area of music. How hard is that struggle and how did that inform your performance?
The rock scene is saturated with nothing but men: My entire career being on tour and in bands, in the industry, and people you sign with, that’s what it was. And it was really ironic to me that week that it came down to me and one other person, who happened to be a man, and then the competition at that point, all of the men were being saved by [America's votes], and all the women were having to compete [to be saved by the judges]. The song couldn’t have come at a more perfect time, and I felt very, very passionate about what I was singing.

TVLINE | We know you were under the weather for the finale. How much did that suck to wake up before what had to be the most important performance of your career and find you had a fever?
It was just freaking awful. I got sick on the Friday before the [Monday] telecast. I woke up with 103 fever, bronchitis, walking pneumonia and asthma. It was literally hell. It was the most upsetting thing ever. I was distraught. I went and saw the doctor and to be honest, that kind of thing has happened to me on tour before, it’s happened right before I’ve done showcases for record labels, so I just had to not let it get the best of me. I decided I’d come this far, I did all this work, and I’m not going to let this destroy me. I did the very best that I could do under the circumstances.

TVLINE |  Is it possible once you’re performing to block the sickness out of your mind, or is it always there like a little cloud over your head as your singing?
I manage to block it out. When I walked on stage to sing “Free Bird,” I thought, “This is my last song, this is the last time I’ll be up here, so just feel it and be there in the moment. Yeah, you sound a little weird and can’t hit all the notes, but don’t let that disturb you in the throes of doing the show of your life.

TVLINE So what’s next for you now? There’s some talk about Cee Lo signing you to his label. I know he’s been pretty supportive with his Season 1 finalist Vicci Martinez — even dueting with her on her first album. What will be your trajectory post-Voice
Yeah, Cee Lo and I are already talking. We’re going to be doing some songs together and making some music.

TVLINE | Were you glad that, during the finale, you were not involved in a direct way in the Christina vs. Adam drama?
Yeah, from the very, very beginning when Adam and Christina were fighting over me, I chose Cee Lo. I’m with Cee Lo in the “no drama” department. I’m Switzerland, okay. [Laughs]

Comments (42)

• Love her! Hope to hear more from her soon.

*Predicting she’ll have more success than the actual winner*

Comment by Clarissa – May 16, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY AGREE

Comment by KarenFabian – May 17, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s awesome! Glad you could get this interview.

I personally thought Cryin was great though.

Comment by Andy – May 16, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 Cryin was awesome better than Aerosmiths version and just like ‘It’s a Man’s Man’s World’ was way better than Christina’s Grammy performance! lol

Comment by mikesd – May 16, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool interview! I did not watch Season 2 of the Voice but I’ve checked out some of Juliet’s performances on YouTube…if I had watched the whole season, I am sure she would have been my favorite.

Comment by Meghan – May 16, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, Juliet. LOVE HER! Can’t wait for what she does next. Great interview, Michael, as always.

Comment by MA – May 16, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1000

she’s awesome!

Great that she is getting some love from CeeLo.
      Can’t wait to hear more.

Comment by FreeHaley – May 16, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since we got involved in Facebook now everything we do thrue it we got to post with Facebook and hopefully we can continue working like before AC Talent agency/Alicia Caballero we can also work with Facebook you need more singers? love your show.

Comment by Alicia Somoza Caballero – May 16, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet was the best talent of the season. I was shocked when she didn’t win… I voted for her on my iPhone until my fingers were tired.

Comment by Tony Kim – May 16, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was definitely MY favorite

Comment by Stan R Kanitz – May 16, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s so great!

Comment by Cat – May 16, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She made me fall in love with rock and roll again! Thank you.

Comment by Rukaloca – May 16, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You rock, Juliet – we were cheering for you and voting, too. You won in our hearts and souls and can’t wait to see what you do next.

Comment by D. Frahn – May 16, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS ONE BLACK WOMAN THAT YOU HAVE MADE TO LOVE ROCK AND ROLL….. I ALMOST CRIED WHEN YOU DIDN’T WIN. YOU SANG WAY BETTER THAN THE GUY WHO WON… THAT’S OK CAUSE YOUARE GOING TO BLOW UP.. YOU JUST WAIT AND SEE. YOU ARE GOING PLACES MY DEAR… LOVE YOU AND LOVE THAT SCRATCHY VOICE…..PAM FARRIS

Comment by PAMELA FARRIS – May 16, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to hear more from her! She rocks!!!!!!

Comment by FreeHaley – May 16, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet was by far my favorite since her blind audition. I mean this girl can rock! We need feMale rockers in This world!,,

Comment by Daniela – May 16, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s so fantastic!!! Her voice is mesmerizing; the less background music the better…just lay her voice out for all to witness.
    I’ll definitely be following her career from now on! I wish her all the best!!

Comment by mia – May 16, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Cryin’ was still great but it was not the same calibre as any of her other performances, some of which (Roxanne, Man’s World and even Oh! Darling) were truly outstanding.

Comment by renee – May 16, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I’m really just in the moment — to the point where I black out a little bit — and it’s not until after I’m done that I come to.” This is what I thought was the coolest thing about Juliette. And she didn’t really achieve that state on Free Bird, which I think is why she got second instead of first. But she’s got a bright future ahead, no doubt about it, and I will pay attention.

Comment by trlovejoy – May 17, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was so bumed when she didnt win! i think she is a rare find, i hope a good lable picks her up and put out some great music and vocals i will be waiting!!!! and what a great interview.

Comment by theresia – May 17, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The real winner!!!

Comment by Pedrex – May 17, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awsome singer cant wait to hear her first new record, good luck and stay true to your music ., i loved it, bob from philly, pa

Comment by bob schied – May 17, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You rock Juliet! You brought tears to my eyes every time I watch/ listen to you sing….. and I love your passion for the songs that you sing. Your performance of every song was also fantastic!

If that manager of yours doesn’t come through for you….call me…lol

Keep on rocking girl!!!!!!!!

Comment by SOCKS – May 18, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so sure Juliet was going to win. She is an amazing vocalist and performer,humble and beautiful, a total package . I truly believe she will be bigger than the winner, just like those american idol finalists.

Comment by Rosita – May 21, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, she talks just as good as she sings (excellently).

Comment by matt – May 27, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMW!
    I am in South Africa and it is 30 May.
    I have just seen the Finale of the Voice Season 2 and REALLY America how could Juliet Simms NOT have won the Voice Season 2?!!! What were you thinking…I will be a follower forever! – Pam

Comment by Pam Landman – May 30, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am about to see the result. Very disappointed. She has alot to give.

Comment by Neuren Pietersen – June 6, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simply the greatest female vocalist since Janis……maybe even THE greatest. She is the winner!

Comment by Helen – May 30, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Pam! It’s a crazy world, over there in the USA. I’m South African too. She IS the winner! I feel quite sick that America can be so blind…..I mean DEAF!! – Helen du Plessis

Comment by Helen – May 30, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most unique voice and style that I have ever heard in my entire life. And I’m old. Can’t wait to hear more amazing music from her.

Comment by Jim – May 30, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another South African fan.
    She’s definately my favourite too, will be following her career and buy her recordings. That rendition of Man’s World bowled me over. Anton

Comment by Anton – May 31, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she is the one to hit de world

Comment by Albert – June 4, 2012 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet was my favourite and is a wonderful singer. Really even better than Janis Joplin who I really like. Maybe it is for the best, because now she is known and can demand her own recording deals without being locked into the deals the winner of “The Voice” would make.

The world has become a shallow place, where the generic sound on the radio/TV influences the mindless masses, to make choices which sound the same. Jermaine is a great singer, but I am no fan of the wailing emasculated male crying out, which is so popular these days.

love from Cape Town, South Africa

Comment by Brokenit – June 6, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet simms is the best female vocalist by far. I can listen to iher all day everyday. I hope she finally gets what she’s looking for. She deserves it.

Comment by Robert – June 17, 2012 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet is absolutely my favorite Singer on earth amazing

Comment by lauren van – June 20, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have played music all my life, Juliet is someone very special and it matters not that the country and western folk voted for the other singer, Miss Juliet Simms won the Voice, I am 80 years young and loving the music..

Comment by Lowell A Morris – July 11, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant wait for to see her perform. As cee lo stated….she killed. In my opinion she sang it better than Christina amd I love her

Comment by Rhonds J – August 3, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just spoke to you tonight in a place downtown LA. I’m not awestruck but when I saw you the sound of your voice came rushing back. Janis never caught me but YOU are amazing! I agree. You were definitely the winner!

Comment by Jana – August 19, 2012 01:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am listening to one of her prior albums right now. After seeing her on The Voice I went online and bought everything available – she is AMAZING!! I agree with all the comments above, she was definitely the BEST singer from season 2. I was completely bummed when she didn’t win.

Comment by Betsy – September 19, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post