Finale Preview: The NCIS: LA Team Battles 'Evil Personified' In a Two-Hour 'Rocket Ride'

Get More: Finales, Previews

This Tuesday at 9/8c on CBS, the return of the former agent/spy known as The Chameleon sets the stage for NCIS: Los Angeles‘ Season 3 finale, and the masterful mayhem he has planned calls for not one but two hours’ worth of season-ending intensity. Here, series boss Shane Brennan reveals why it will be impossible for viewers to change that dial, touts at least two Emmy-caliber performances and teases just how many cliffhanger-quality jaw-droppers fans can expect.

TVLINE | Why a two-hour finale this year?
Oh I’ve been rubbing my hands together about this since around October of last year. It’s not often you get to do a double. And they gave me plenty of notice, which I appreciate so much because it enabled us to plan what is really like a movie. There’s no way that people will turn [the channel] at 10 o clock; they just won’t be able to. We do something at the end of the first hour that just launches the back half into a rocket ride. What we do at the end of the first hour is so unexpected and so brazen, you have to come back to see, “Why? How? What the hell is going to happen now?” And the performances across both hours are the best that this cast has delivered. In fact, I’m putting Linda Hunt in for an Emmy based on this episode.

TVLINE | What challenge did this “double” present you?
I’ve been writing for 30 years, and this was the hardest thing I’ve had to write in terms of figuring out the story. And I had to figure out the story for the opening episode of next season in order to write this finale. So from a writing point, it was incredibly challenging. From a production point, probably the biggest television show I’ve ever produced.

PHOTO | NCIS: Los Angeles Finale First Look: Um, Why Is Hetty at the Morgue?

TVLINE | So let’s talk about the plot. The Chameleon (from Episode 15) resurfaces?
Yes, and if anyone had any doubts about Christopher Lambert (Highlander) as an actor, I’m actually putting him up for an Emmy too, as a guest [star]. He is astonishing in this, just astonishing. He turns himself into evil personified, and it’s just an extraordinary performance. We pit him against our team and he has them absolutely on the run at every moment.

TVLINE | He had warned he’d be back for revenge — the time is now?
The time is now. The title of the two hours is “Sans Voir,” which is a chess term that means “playing blindfolded.” It means you’re playing a game in one room, and someone else is playing the same game in another room, and you can’t see the board. It’s played out in your head. And that’s exactly what this is. And there are usually three parts to a chess game: the opening gambit, the middle game and the end game.

TVLINE | And since he had been on before, this is the middle and the end?
Uh, the beginning and the middle. We always have our cliffhangers!

RELATED | NCIS Boss: Season Finale Packs a Surprising Return and a ‘Cliffhanger for Everyone’

TVLINE | The past two finales have had some tie to Callen’s past. Is this an exception?
There’s a great little moment, actually, where the Chameleon suggests that he might know something about Callen — and it certainly catches Callen’s attention [Laughs] — but no, it doesn’t focus on Callen’s past. This is Callen and the team trying to stop this guy from doing what he’s proven he’s serious about doing. What he does at the end of that first hour, the audience will go, “How could they possibly? Where’s the second half of this movie going to go?”

TVLINE | It sounds like for any other show it would suffice as a season-ending cliffhanger.
That’s a really good way to put it. The first hour could be the season finale, could be the cliffhanger. The second hour could be the [premiere] of next season. But they’re not. There are one, two… three.… There are about five different moments in this that could be a season finale.

Comments (24)

• “I’m putting Linda Hunt in for an Emmy based on this episode.” Yes! She so rocks. Truly dynamite in a small package. Has my attention right there. I will be watching.

Comment by Tanya (@kirads09) – May 15, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They r gonna kill hetty off aren’t they? No!

Comment by Gb – May 15, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank God no, because in the promos, she is looking at two bodies…my guess…Erick and Nell

Comment by Lorena Haro (@lorepottter) – May 15, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah, Lorena, but as has been pointed out in another page, when they killed Kate in NCIS, they also had her standing over her own body in the morgue, and watching all of her friends as they tried ot deal with what had happened. So she can’t be ruled out just because she is there, unfortunately. :(

Comment by katy917 – May 15, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so freaking excited!!! Very, very nervous but excited!!!!

Comment by katy917 – May 15, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Linda Hunt sure deserves an emmy! I hope she’ll be nominated! It’s about time NCISLA gets an emmy. I think all the stunts and special effects should get an emmy too… Best action show out there… My favourite show out there right now. Hope everybody watches the finale tonight ;)

Comment by Gi (@MissAlesig) – May 15, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with this, both NCIS should get emmys and both head leaders, and directors.

Comment by Gloria J. White – May 15, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep trying to think who I’d be ‘okay’ with killing off and I cant think of anyone. Not even recurring characters like Nate. The one person who is a big no-no is Deeks. His character is what makes the show, in my opinion.

Comment by Nicotine – May 15, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ My thoughts exactly!!! There is not a single character who I could accept being killed off, and Deeks is by far my fave on the show! Glad I’m not his only fan!!

Comment by katy917 – May 15, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know They could kill sam off and have Tony from NCIS replace him

Comment by Michael – May 15, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched this show for the first time with the “Hawaii Five-0″ crossover, and I immediately was like, “Why am I not watching this all the time?” Amazing cast (Eric Christian Olsen is a personal fave) and great storytelling. Count me in for next season!

Comment by Sarah – May 15, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait! Excited and nervous all at once. Can’t wait to see all of the performances! Hopefully they don’t kill one of the main 4 or Hetty. They all have such great chemistry. Ahh, less than 8 hours!

Comment by Tina – May 15, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hetty is the glue that makes this show work. I just hope, given CBS’s history of killing off female characters in power positions, they’re smart enough to realize how central Linda Hunt’s acting ability is to the success of this show and will do anything they can to keep her onboard. Hetty and Sam make this show for me, plus it’s finally allowed me to move beyond automatically thinking of Chris O’Donnell as “Robin, Boy Wonder.” ; )

Comment by arial2 – May 15, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. Linda Hunt rocks! I hope she gets an emmy for this. And I’m really looking forward to tonight’s episodes.

Comment by bj – May 15, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see them killing off Hetty unless Linda Hunt want to leave the series for some reason. Besides being the toughest one of the group, Hetty is much too central to the ongoing storyline. If they want to kill off Ass’t. Director Granger played by Miguel Ferrer, I’d be OK with that.

Comment by Larc – May 15, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it. L L Stool Jay survived … love the dialogue written, and delivered by uber lefty libs! I’m done with this show…. waste of time and electricity.

Comment by Michael – May 15, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does this come back on

Comment by justin – May 15, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • get rid of Granger and have the Marines come in and save the day for Callen

Comment by patty germaine – May 15, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know the song/songwriter for the ending of part II? It was a really cool piece played on baritone guitar….thanks

Comment by joseph – May 16, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried to Shazam AND SoundHound the song over & over & neither one had a match ~ I, too, would like to know what it was!! It was great :-) I must keep trying to find it ~ If anyone knows can you identify it please?! Thanks :-)

Comment by C. Allen – May 24, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hitting the wall/not finding anything on it either. RATS!!! LOL

Comment by dannonforbes – May 27, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see agent hunter and agent callen fall for each other ; ) so cute together

Comment by Grace – June 9, 2012 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found very interesting about ncis. Ncis la ncis red. I hate granger !!! Hes so sleazy. Unhonest sleeper! Im glad that. Ncis la cross over with hawaii 5-0 ya. Me craze james caan ‘s son. He remind me watch. His father james in Old shows . Brians song and rollerball. His movment exactly the same as james caan. It is scott! Amazing resemble!!!! Mcgarrett. Aaaw ! Cool.

Stay on those shows and want. Add. Ncis red!!!!!!!

Comment by Cnprodly – April 16, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post