Glee (Hour 2) Recap: The Prize Winners of Lima, Ohio [Updated]

jane lynchApparently, Ryan Murphy & Co. decided to approach Glee‘s third season with a “save the best for last” mentality. “Nationals,” the year’s penultimate episode, turned out to be a spectacular hour of jaw-dropping musical numbers and satisfying plot developments. And not even a Perez Hilton cameo could cramp my enjoyment.

RELATED | Glee (Hour 1) Recap: Being (Rachel) Is Believin’

If you happened to be suffering from Amazonian dengue fever or the H1N1 supervirus and weren’t able to tune in, here’s what you missed on Glee:

* After a series of slight setbacks — food poisoning for Mercedes, a fist fight between Puck and Sam over committment to choreography, and a “death slot” of having to go first — New Directions took the stage at Natioals and completely killed it with a 1-2-3 punch of “Edge of Glory,” “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now,” and “Paradise by the Dashboard Light.” (Yeah, that last ditty is dreadful, and awfully sexual for a high-school show-choir set — then again, Glee is never too worried about age-appropriateness of its musical numbers — but Finn and Rachel pulled a Tim Gunn and made it work.)

* Vocal Adrenaline lived up to its name, too, putting Unique front and center for renditions of “Starships” and “Pinball Wizard” with choreography so dazzling poor Rachel was left with her mouth agape in the audience. Of course, the transgender teen wouldn’t have even taken the stage had it not been for an emotional boost — and lipstick advice — from competitors Kurt and Mercedes.

* The good karma from that act paid off when judges Lindsay Lohan, Perez Hilton, and 51st Ward Alderman Martin Fong chose New Directions as the National Show Choir Champions over Vocal Adrenaline (while giving the MVP prize to Unique).

* NYADA dean Carmen Thibodeaux succumbed to Rachel’s pleas and showed up for New Directions’ performance, rising to her feet and whistling with delight along with the rest of the audience when their set came to an end. Plus, Vocal Adrenaline coach/Rachel’s ex Jesse put in a good word for Ms. Berry with La Thibodeaux (for whatever it was worth). Looks like Rachel might be heading to her dream school after all, though let’s hope that Kurt being relegated to sub-supporting-player status at Nationals doesn’t hurt him any.

* Mr. Schue got a double reward for his efforts: Being named Teacher of the Year at McKinley High (with an emotional glee club performance of “We Are the Champions” as part of the ceremony) and finding a pamphlet from Emma titled “When It’s Finally Time to Have Intercourse.” Plus, New Directions returned to their school as hometown heroes, receiving a confetti slushie from members of the hockey team! Who’dve thunk it?

Anyhow, now that we’ve covered all the pertinent plot details, let’s review the best quotes from the episode:

“This sniping is as expository as it is wrong.” –Sue, responding to Schue’s comment that she only wanted to help New Directions win Nationals so she could present the $10,000 prize to Figgins and get back sole coaching responsibilities for the Cheerios

“I always go to the yelling place: I have rage.” –Santana, apologizing for shouting to end the Sam-Puck fight

“Most people don’t realize I lost 10 pounds during that performance.” –Jesse, discussing his legendary Nationals rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody”

“Wait? This thing isn’t even televised?” –a game Lindsay Lohan, appalled to discover that her gig as Nationals judge wouldn’t do much to boost her public image

“I wish everyone would wait until they were at least 29 years old, with solid employment and a 401K retirement plan.” –Principal Figgins, offering his views on teen marriage

“Thank you, Mrs. Hagberg: Go softly into that good night.” –Principal Figgins, offering unintentionally ominous good wishes to a retiring colleague

Plus, Mrs. Hagberg touting her upcoming episodes of Intervetion and Hoarders in her retirement speech

And now, onto letter grades for the episode’s musical numbers!

The Troubletones, ‘Edge of Glory’ Grade: A-

Rachel and New Directions, ‘It’s All Coming Back to Me Now’ Grade: A+ (One of Glee’s five best vocals ever? I say “Yes!”)

Finn, Rachel and New Directions, ‘Paradise By the Dashboard Light’ Grade: A

Unique and Vocal Adrenaline, ‘Starships’ Grade: A

Unique and Vocal Adrenaline, ‘Pinball Wizard’ Grade: B+

New Directions, ‘Tongue Tied’ Grade: A-

New Directions, ‘We Are the Champions’ Grade: A

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of “Nationals”? Was this the best night of music in Glee history? What were your favorite moments? And did New Directions deserve the win? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Sam says:

It’s All Coming Back To Me was one of the best vocals ever on Glee.

• Rock Golf says:

So Curt & Mercedes, arguably the two best voices on the team, had nearly no vocals at all and Rachel got 2 numbers out of 3?

• Leo says:

Not this again. This is a type of comment which intended to divide Gleeks apart and set up a long tiring debacle. I enjoyed the two episodes and it’s the best episodes in the whole Season 3. Nuff said.

• Cole says:

Kurt has an awful voice most of the time. Way too high. He suits some songs but he would have had no place singing lead in any of the three from that performance.

• Please..... says:

Oh hey == look at that…another Kurt/Chris Colfer basher on this board…..

• MIchael says:

Kurt is my favorite character on the show but I don’t disagree with Cole. Kurt’s falsetto works on certain songs but doesn’t on others.

• slizabeth says:

I was only concerned about Mercedes not singing because they had said “Oh my gosh, we can’t win without her” and then she didn’t even have a solo.

• really? says:

Good..she’s a spoiled brat.

• Daisy says:

But she sort of did. The Trouble Tones alone sang Edge of Glory to combat the fact that ‘Rachel gets all the solos’. That’s the deal that they made with Mr. Schue in order to come back to the New Directions. When Mercedes was able to perform (after her bout with food poisoning) I think that she graciously gave up parts of her solos to Tina and Quinn for being willing to fill in for her. I don’t think she wanted to take it back after they pitched in to help when it looked as though Mercedes wasn’t going to be able to perform. Granted it’s not the solo that Rachel got, but she did get some solo time as did Santana, Quinn, and Tina and she did get other solo lines in other vocal performances. Personally I thought Lea Michele knocked Rachel’s solo out of the park (and I really kind of can’t stand Celine Dion or her songs so that’s saying a lot). That being said, I still contend that the best ever vocal on Glee was Rachel’s Don’t Rain on My Parade. I still get chills just thinking about it!

• Becky says:

Maybe is my hate for Ms. Berry, because I think she is the main focus of the show, when she is not the best singer although she is good. I love Celine Dion, and I think that Mercedes or Santana could have sung it better.

2. S says:

Loved the episode. Loved the songs. So much I enjoyed. From the redemption of Jesse St. James, to the acceptance of New Directions at McKinley to the final montage with the celebration. All great stuff. But the underlying fact that next season is so up in the air, that we don’t know who will be back and who won’t be. That Brittany the ONLY senior is NOT graduating and they haven’t mentioned it once, until next episode when we see her crying in the promo. All of that takes away something from these past couple episodes and will take away seomthing from next week’s as well. As always Glee is a mixed bag. They do a lot of good, then they do a lot of bad. It’s such a tough show to watch sometimes.

• Iloen says:

Wait, there will be a next week? This is not the finale? I totally missed something.

• I have to say, the whole Jesse St. James storyline was awesome (and not just because it had me pleading in my brain to have Jesse go to NYADA and be Kurt’s nemesis). The look in his eyes when Rachel was singing was so heart meltingly perfect it gave me chills. The two of them have the most amazing chemistry. Plus, I would really, really like to hear him sing Giants in the Sky….. a lot.

3. TVMovieLove says:

Really loved all the songs, the fact that Carmen Thibideaux showed up at Nationals, and all the moments in-between. I couldn’t help but sing along to “We Are the Champions” – it really is catchy :) Really looking forward to next week’s finale!

4. Camilla says:

Ah! I DVRed the episode the title I haven’t watched it yet! the title just spoiled it!

• Why would you be on a website that recaps Glee if you’re going to complain about spoilers? I don’t get it.

• DeeDee says:

Camilla probably gets TVLine updates on her facebook page like I do. Kind of hard to avoid spoilers when they’re in the title and you don’t even have to click on it. Michael Slezak, you should watch that!

• Becks says:

How did you not know they would win already? Most of the original cast is graduating at the end of the season (as has been very public); how could they not win the the final competition with the original cast?

• Russ says:

If you know that is sometimes spoils episodes on facebook, don’t have it on facebook, which won’t spoil it for you. Was that so hard?

• Jax says:

Michael Slezak’s job is to write articles about TV shows and movies for a website dedicated to Entertainment news. He is not suppose to be everyone’s babysitter and hold their precious hands to help them avoid spoilers. Stop expecting the world to cater to you and just stay away from facebook and entertainment sites until you’ve watched the show. It’s really very simple.

• Elyse says:

i get facebook updates too but if you haven’t watched the episode… DON’T CLICK ON THE ARTICLE. sigh…

5. A says:

It’s All Coming Back To Me Now gave me goosebumps.This is why I love Lea Michele

• Leo says:

Lea Michele rocks this show. And we have people complaining she stole everyone’s spotlight. Hey, it’s all fair and square when you’re that amazing! I also love how all the seniors (minus Mike) got some lines to sing.

6. Maureen Tait says:

Two great episodes. Looks like they’ll be ending the season on a high note!

7. etc says:

I was astounded by how good part 2 was (part 1 was pretty hilarious too). Every song was AMAZING (and I have never said that, bc normally I don’t like their pop music covers) and who the heck would ever think a vintage Meatloaf song could be so good? I was blown away by the number; it may have been my favorite number the entire season, with We Are the Champions in 2nd place. The harmonies in both were fantastic.

• Rock Golf says:

I noticed they completely dropped the following lines from “Paradise by the Dashboard Light”

“Ain’t no doubt about it, we were doubly blessed.
      Cause we were barely seventeen and we were barely dressed.”

Gee, you think that might have offended some people?

8. Taylor says:

It felt like Glee was finally Glee again. The whole episode had it’s minor drama, hilarious lines, and showstopping performances. I couldn’t help but be filled with…well, GLEE :D

9. Ellen says:

Actually enjoyed most of the 2 hours! (except…Perez, in his new form, is going to give me nightmares!!) Body switch was so funny, Puck with hair! Rachel giving her first autograph after the big win!

10. AngieD says:

Agree with everyone else. Tonight’s 2 episodes were definitely in the top 5 if not 3 episodes of this season of Glee. Last time I enjoyed this much was probably sectionals. They will be saved as Do Not Delete on my TiVo until season 3 comes out on disk, if not longer.

I think Tina Cohen-Chang should be the new leader of New Directions next year. Between her helping both Mike and Rachel with their school aspirations, she’s a proven leader imho.

I thought the cast was hilarious in their alter roles.

• Snsetblaze says:

I think she’s one of the three females not graduating- the others being Sugar and Brittany so she probably will.

Any word if Rory, Joe, or Unique are becoming permanent cast members?

• Russ says:

Hopefully not Unique. I can’t stand Alex, he just irritates me.

• Leo says:

Tina is a junior, so she’s not graduating. Brittany is the one flunking and Sugar is just…sugar! But we also have Blaine, who possibly will be the new leader. So yeah, it will be interesting to watch Tina step into Rachel’s shoes and try to recruit new people to replace all the amazing seniors!
        I can take Unique but only on a small dose. When he talks too much, I started getting annoyed.

• TracyS says:

Only thing that makes me think Alex may is that he said last night that Unique may have to transfer schools next year after talking to Mercedez and Kurt in his dressing room

11. ddd says:

Um, in what universe is Paradise by the Dashboard light not a great song? Is it strange, yes, but ulitmately it is a fun and entertaining song that is perfect for glee. At first I wasn’t sure if they would do the song because of how completely sexual it is, but clearly that is no longer an issue. Paradise by the Dashboard light is an epic and theatrical number that tells a story…so please explain how this is not a perfect glee song?

12. Mark says:

I was so happy they won. I was kinda worried that they might not! This episode furthered my hatred of Perez Hilton. *Vomits* He’s an awful human being. Unique was great. Fun character. Enjoyed all the songs really. Whoopi Goldberg <333333

13. TheBeach says:

Really, really loved the Puck/Bieste duet on “Mean”. I was surprised how well their voices blended…heartfelt and it fit the story line perfectly.

14. Dennis says:

i hope i never see unique again aside from that these last 2 episodes were great it was almost back to what season one was. No gay agenda or propaganda just an ensamble cast with gay people a part of it. I loved that Tina got some focus and Quinn had some lines i was so shocked. there was focus on the entire cast well almost. btw i hate all the new people none of them stand out with a wow factor are they all just the winners of that game show? btw i am not anti gay i watched and enjoyed Will & Grace, love Ellen big NPH fan. This show just seemed to become so agenda Driven i mean Will and Grace had 2 gay people in it but it didn’t push an agenda it was just 2 people that were gay i don’t see what’s wrong with that. it approached it like it was normal and that’s how it came off

• Jessica says:

I think they just set it up for Wade aka Unique to transfer to Mckinley and take Mercedes place next year. He said he might need to transfer for next year.

• guest says:

With the way Ryan Murphy changes his mind, I wouldn’t hold them to that. I think it was more them opening the possibility of him transferring should they decide they need him. It’s my opinion they don’t.

• Russ says:

They really don’t need him next year. I feel like next season the biggest complaint will be that they focus to much on kurt/rachel/finn in NY, or NY vs. ND in who gets more of the shows focus. If they have Wade/Uni that will take away from the people who deserve to get the in ND and give it to him who is more annoying that Rachel when she is in Rachel Berry Superstar mode.

• Jess says:

I’m not offended by your views, but by your lack of punctuation.

• Dennis says:

yes, thank you. i have a severe Learning disability and sometimes in my rush i miss things like punctuation and sometimes spelling

15. Burnt Sienna says:

Jonathan Groff looked amazing tonite.

16. madhatter360 says:

I love that this recap title referenced one of my favorite movies!

17. KSM says:

Both episodes were really good. Skme of the best tbey have done. Glad the seniors are going out with a bang!

18. Lyria says:

Dammit, Glee, just when I think I’m out… AMAZING performances tonight from everyone! I lost track of how many times I teared up.

19. Cried like a baby tonight at part 2. The songs were amazing and I loved every second of part 1 & 2. It’s going to be hard to say “goodbye” next week! :(

20. Tony says:

I’m almost surprised there’s another episode next week. Tonight felt like a season (or even series) finale.

• TheBeach says:

I felt the same way. It seemed like a finale episode and a good one at that.

• Lime says:

Felt like a series finale to me, too. It could be over forever and I wouldn’t feel like there were loose ends to tie up.

• Burnt Sienna says:

I hope they manage to make next season work. Otherwise, we’ll be wishing that they ended on a good note like last night’s episode or perhaps next week’s.

21. Jared says:

Rachel’s solo was without a doubt one of the if not best performances of the show, period!

The episode was brilliant! I am gonna be a blubbering mess during graduation next week!

22. Pere...I mean um, Kat says:

Perez Hilton was the best part!

23. TheBeach says:

Wow, my first thought upon seeing Carmen so enthusiastically applauding New Directions performance was OMG, she’s going to offer Finn the scholarship to NYADA.

• Snsetblaze says:

I had a similar thought – I just did not think of it as a scholarship.

• cjinsd says:

I got the same impression. Maybe we’ll see that next week.

• Jo says:

Thank goodness, I’m not the only one! He was amazing. I know people rag on Finn’s singing, but it has improved so much and he was so into the performance. He was the real star of that number.

Of course, I’ve been waiting for them to do “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” since season one and gave up on it this season. I went into the end of the season spoiler free and glad I did. It was a great surprise!

24. Babygate says:

You kind of knew that ND had to win because, well, it’s Glee and they are seniors and that was the whole point, but, I thought Vocal Adrenaline’s performance was stronger. Especially the choreography. However, I have to admit that if that Alex kid from The Glee Project comes back, I’m done with Glee. It’s just too much and it is unrealistic. In real life, he wouldn’t be celebrated by everyone and hailed as a role model so it feels like there’s a definite agenda that is being pushed. It’s a shame because I enjoy the music, although tonight I was back to feeling like there was too much Rachel for my taste. And apparently Brittany doesn’t graduate? So Puck gets a hand but it escapes everyone’s attention, especially Santana, that Brit is flunking out? Not cool. All that added to the change is schedule with conflicts with Grey’s Anatomy makes it very hard for me to return as a viewer next season…

• Lime says:

I think Vocal Adrenaline has better choreography too. But their songs are always a soloist with backup dancers. Boring! Isn’t glee club supposed to be a group of people singing? That’s why I liked New Directions for the win – a truly collaborative effort and they all have improved so so much over the last few years. I couldn’t take my eyes off their performances – but kind of zoned out during VA’s songs.

• Brian says:

I agree that by now, VA’s shtick is a bit old. They always have great choreography but if you look closely, their vocals almost always lack because they rely on just one really powerful singer to carry them through. So really, it’s just a bunch of hairography to conceal their vocal weaknesses (pretty sad for a choir named Vocal Adrenaline).

And while Unique was really good and deserved that MVP award, we all know that she was totally blown away by Rachel’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now”.

ND was the right choice for best choir this year, as they proved that they could hold their own with choreography (Troubletones) but had better group harmonies and the better lead soloist.

• cyndi says:

I thought VA was better all around, choreography and dancing. Don’t forget we only saw 2 of their songs as compared to 3 of New Directions. I thought Glee was supposed to be collaborative as well, but what we really got was 1 Troubletones, 1 semi-collaboration and 1 Rachel Berry song. I don’t deny that Lea Michelle has a good voice and that it was supposed to be the seniors show, but that wasn’t what it really was. Like always it was the Rachel and Finn show. I thought Puck would have done a great job on that last song, but it was all Finn. In all fairness Puck did get a solo song with Beist. I think I’m pretty biased though, because i really can’t stand Rachel and Finn on the show.

• Emily says:

I didn’t like Vocal Adrenaline’s set. I hated Starships more with every grating “higher than any other,” and Pinball wasn’t any better. I assumed that ND was wearing expressions of extreme confusion during Vocal Adrenaline’s set, because I sure was. Unique doesn’t hold a candle to Rachel Berry’s vocal ability, nor Sunshine Corazon’s or Jesse St. James’. The only reason we supposedly sat up and took notice was because he was a cross dresser, but while his performing in alter-ego drag is meant to be empowering, centering the whole set around him because of his identity and not his vocal talent turns it into a gimmick, and that’s why these were the weakest Vocal Adrenaline performances ever. Bohemian Rhapsody beats this by miles. In terms of moves, ND’s choreography for Edge of Glory truly was a mess, but Vocal Adrenaline had an identity crisis over whether they were a show choir or a dance team. Who the heck does leg hold turns or saut de basques in the middle of a show choir performance? Just ’cause you can doesn’t mean you should. New Directions won fair and square.

25. Tootzy says:

How the heck did a ‘Spanish’ teacher whose Spanish was so painfully poor and offensive he was relieved of the post and shunted elsewhere worthy of best teacher of the year (or whatever it was)?!! Stunned, the Will worship on this show is vomit-inducingly cringeworthy.

• Russ says:

He wasn’t relieved of the post, he gave it to ricky martin.

• Leo says:

Err, he brings the underdog club to win “Nationals” and made the local news. I understand the Will-hate but this is too much. Chillax!

• Tootzy says:

Totally chilled thanks, Will is a terrible teacher is all. If you’re going to give him an award for getting the kids to nationals why not include Sue too, as she assisted him? Oh right, because she’s a terrible teacher.
        And why did he give the post to Ricky Martin? Cos he’d been getting complaints and was pressured to give it to someone actually worthy of the position (unlike himself) by Figgins and his students.
        Like I said all the Will worship is so over the top. While I was totally on board when they sang ‘To Sir With Love’ he’s long past being that calibre of mentor and doesn’t deserve THAT much praise.
        Cheesy plot is just so over the top it’s irksome, I am lactose intolerant when it comes to this show (my how it’s fallen, but I said I’d stick with it till the end of the season and I will, even if I’m perpetually rolling my eyes and groaning).

26. Emily says:

Lea Michele was in seriously top form tonight. It’s like I’ve forgotten and tonight reminded me; I literally sat back and went, “Wow, she really is a star.”

27. Russ says:

Loved the episode, but I pray that Alex from the Glee project does not transfer to McKinley next season. I didn’t like him on bit on the glee project and when ever I see him it just takes me back to the I hate you, you need to be off the show. If you going to bring back someone make it Lindsay, Harmony could kill on the show so much more than whatever his characters name is.

28. GeoDiva says:

Tonight’s episodes was what made me love Glee in the first place. The songs were great, the bodyswitching was hilarious and the touching momments made me cry.

29. Kalee says:

Loved both episodes! Can’t believe Nationals actually emphasized the stakes of the situation unlike some of the past show choir competitions. This season’s Regionals was so inconsequential. Thankfully the focus was squarely on trying to win.

Being a Glee fan, of course I have some criticism. The only thing I would’ve done differently was save Will and Emma’s first time for season 4. There was already a lot going on, I don’t recall Emma being in Props which diminished the impact, and they should’ve saved the occasion later on so Emma can have more dialogue.

Also, they trimmed Rachel’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now” too much. :( I heard the full 5-minute version and it was magical!

30. farsia2010 says:

i don’t think i need to say any more than:
    GLEE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT AND EVERY SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. farsia2010 says:

oh and i disagree that Paradise by the dashboard light was age inappropriate. it was great. seriously they are all having sex by now, and one of them already gave birth to a child and they are teens and you are saying that this song was too much? seriously?? teens saying that they want to do it is that outrageous? come on! if anything Rachel’s It’s all coming back to me now was even more provocative:
    “But when you touch me like this
    And you hold me like that……..” and
    “There were nights of endless pleasure
    It was more than any laws allow
    Baby Baby………” oh and also
    “If I kiss you like this
    And if you whisper like that……”
    and you are complaining about the Paradise song but not about this one?
    i for one love them both, and Rachel was amazing!!!!

32. Princess Adora says:

Where did those extra people come from during the Troubletones performance?? Weird….

• Lola says:

I said that same thing! The entire glee club has 12 people in it, and yet, there are all these random backup dancers/singers for the troubletones performance. Doesn’t make any sense. But when it comes to Glee, I guess there’s a bit of “suspension of reality” at times.

33. I was OK with these episodes until every couple enjoyed passionate kisses — and Rory got double-kissed — EXCEPT for Kurt and Blaine, who weren’t even remotely close to one another. This is getting outright ridiculous. Quinn and Joe leaned upon one another. Will and Emma even had sex!

When was the last time we saw Kurt and Blaine share a loving moment with each other … The First Time? Almost eight months ago? It’s as if they’re doomed to forever be “holiday roommates.” As Tibideau would say, watching their relationship leaves any fan emotionally flaccid.

I appreciate this may not be a big deal for many viewers. But for a young gay man in Indiana for whom a representation of himself and the possibility of what he could find one day in a relationship … seeing Kurt and Blaine not treated equally with Finn and Rachel, Mike and Tina, Brittany and Santana, and Will and Emma is heartbreaking.

• Jake says:

Yeah, because Glee NEVER has any pro-gay agenda, gay themes, gay characters or couples. Then again, Santana and Brittany did share a passionate kiss….I guess it has to be two guys kissing or it doesn’t count?

• Nick says:

But the problem is that all those pro-gay agenda storylines mean nothing if you don’t treat the gay couples on the show the same way as the straight couples. Treating them differently, i.e. not showing them kissing, is really just sending out a signal that they are different, which they are not.

• Russ says:

Did you ever think that Ryan Murphy and co. are doing this to show that Blaine and Kurt and kinda drifting apart and might break up in the last episode. I mean I wouldn’t be surprised with that weird flirt text thing that happened and him going to NY, just because two people love each other doesn’t mean it can work.

34. It’s All Coming Back To Me proves why Lea Michelle is the best among all of them.

35. ceebee says:

Both shows were Great…although Lohan and Hilton should NEVER be on tv again!!!

36. Jake says:

Starships was awful – an A from Slezak makes no sense. The whole storyline with Unique is just ridiculous, and his vocals were horrible on that song. Otherwise very good ( if predictable) episode. All the Troubletones/New Directions numbers were great. This is what Glee is supposed to be!

• Lily says:

While the whole “Unique” story line seems forced, and I agree with you on every other point, I have to say that Starships was good in that it was better than the original. An A? Nah, but probably a B+ or A-.

37. laurel says:

This episode was good- definitely better than most this season. But what made me happy – very little Blaine (same with Props).

38. Cat says:

All the songs that New Directions/Troubletones sang were excellent. Loved their take on some classics. Happy that they won. Yet, I felt that after nationals, the episode could have ended as I felt that it was dragged out (but that’s just me). Loved Lea’s vocals on “It’s all coming back to me now”..forgot about that song. Looking forward to next week’s episode, and really curious/apprehensive on how they will pull off next season.

39. SG says:

Lea Michele blew me away, but then so did Cory Monteith. Never sung before this show and he knocked Paradise, Tongueited and We are the Champions out of the park. The two hours just flew by and was just so exhilarating. Plaudits to the writers, cast and crew on a great achievement.

• Nick says:

Gotta agree with that, first time that I absolutely loved Cory’s vocals. Especially in We Are the Champions, I didn’t really think he couls sing like that.

40. Nick says:

This definitely was my favorite episode Glee has done ever. Their setlist for nationals was excellent, Edge of Glory was really good and It’s All Coming Back to Me Now were Lea’s best vocals thusfar. Paradise by the Dashboard Light was, in my opinion, the best song they have done so far. Vocals were excellent, not the best, but what made it so amazing was that it had the best combination of vocals and choreography thusfar. I can really see that as a National’s winning performance. Yes, Vocal Adrenaline’s choreography was better, but showchoir is a combination of vocals and choreography, and while Unique’s vocals were good, they were at best mediocre compared to the New Direction’s vocals. The montage afterwards was amazing, and We Are the Champions was definitely one of their top ten performaces for me.

41. Aishwarya says:

I LOVE Jonathan Groff and Jesse st James. I hope he comes back…cause catching him on Glee is literally one of my highlights. I just watch his episodes these days and they are worth it. That having been said, Lea knocked it out of the park this episode. Wow.

42. Heather says:

Lea Michele needs to lay off the spray tanning. Eek.

43. Lily says:

I will be honest: after tuning out for a season and a half, I only tuned back in for Paradise (huge Meatloaf fan)! I have to say, the Nationals episode marked a return to the Glee I loved. I am especially excited for the promise of Quick scenes next week!

44. Amy says:

I really loved that Finn sang lead on two songs. Much of this season he has been relegated to the background for the musical numbers. It was nice to go back to pre-Blaine era and see him sing lead again. Very good. Loved the episode.

45. Celia says:

It was 2 great episodes. They were 2 of Glee’s best episodes ever and the music was incredible. Yes It’s All Coming Back To Me is one of Glee’s best ever (just behind DROMP).

46. jw says:

Nationals was an excellent offering. The performances were great. I agree with the grades here… especially on Pinball Wizard, that eventually fell flat.

My guess is that Rachel gets into NYADA and…wait for it…Finn gets an unsolicited offer to attend NYADA as well. He blew out the box on Dashboard Light. Gotta find a way to get him to New York and sing, yes?

47. jw says:

By the way, the made up rules for these National Show Choir competitions are messed up. New Directions has multiple singers who perform well, providing depth and breadth, while the others have one singer who carrys the entire show….and the judges don’t take that into consideration? Come on!

48. John Lily says:

This was performed at their first Regional showing in the first season and not at Nationals.

49. Lianie says:

It was all about Rachel, which even if I don’t like her, she was the star to be from the better beginning, so, that’s cool. At least it was not all about Finchel. Barf. Paradise was a nice number

50. Ruth says:

Glee was wonderful last night. They have the best musical numbers and Lea Michele is the best,