Once Upon a Time Season Finale Recap: Something Bad Is Coming

Get More: Finales, Recaps, Spoilers

The following recap, by the very definition of the word “recap,” contains spoilers from the season finale of Once Upon a Time.

Wasn’t it Huey Lewis who once sang of the power of love? But more on that in a minute.

The first season finale of ABC’s Once Upon a Time — and make no mistake, there will be a Season 2 — was everything the pages of TVLine told you it would be. “Crazy-bananas” (to quote cast member Josh Dallas, who certainly is no Pinocchio). “Severely intense,” as exec producer Eddy Kitsis put it. And yes, it left you, in its final 60 seconds, thinking, “Holy, holy, holy s–t.”

The plotting of the episode was thrilling, tight and danced around no loopholes, addressing the elephant in the room — Henry’s grave state, how he got there and how might he be saved — and then introducing something a lot bigger than an elephant, in another room.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back in the Fall? What’s Toast?

From the top….

Emma and Regina arrive at the hospital frantic over Henry’s fate, yet Dr. Whale is at a loss to treat the boy knowing not what felled him. And it is while rummaging through Henry’s book bag — and laying hands on the his storybook — that Emma, already ever-so-slightly suspecting that magic is afoot, “flashes” and becomes a believer.

Cue throw-down in the storage closet with Mayor Mills aka the Evil Queen! Magically delicious.

Once that tussle is out of the way and Regina cops to her true identity, the two ladies — sharing an agenda — visit Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin to see if he has access to any magic that could save Henry. As it would turn out, Rumple while back in fairytale land socked something away “for a rainy day”: a flask of “true love” potion, which he encased in a jeweled egg and charged Charming with placing inside the belly of the beast — aka Maleficent’s monstrous alter ego.

Thing is, Maleficent, when the Queen laid down the dark curse, was transported to Storybrooke in that form, and now dwells way, way, way below ground. Emma is the only one who can fetch the egg, and she is lowered via elevator to the cave, where she at first unloads her pistol into the dragon, to no avail. (Had to try, right?) She then decides to make use of the sword provided by Rumplestiltskin — one that belonged to Charming — and hurls it through the air and smack dab into the beast’s soft spot. Biff-bam-kablooey, the critter is defeated, its egg-cellent stash revealed.

Alas, Emma then gets a bit daft and, when the ‘vator stalls near the top of the shaft, lobs the egg to Rumplestiltskin — who promptly flits away with it, having bound and gagged Regina above. But before the ladies can chase the imp, they get pinged by the hospital. Henry didn’t make it. He’s passed on. He’s no more. Dead parrot and all that. However….

In bidding her boy goodbye, Emma plants a kiss on his forehead, and just as with Charming and Snow way back when in a realm far, far away, Henry is revived by true love. Not only that, everyone in Storybrooke realizes their true identities, cuing up a glorious, open-the-tear ducts reunion between Mary Margaret’s Snow and David’s Prince Charming. All is good!

‘Cept something bad is coming….

You see, Jefferson aka Mad Hatter, desperate to be reunited with his daughter, infiltrated the hospital ward where Regina/the Evil Queen keeps her most valuable captives. He found Belle and sent her to Mr. Gold with the message that Regina had locked her away. Rumple was gobsmacked to be reunited with his love, who alas had no recollection of their fairytale romance, but promised that he would protect her, as asked. And to that end, he took the “true love” vial, pinched from Emma, and brought it to the well that August (now back to 100-percent wood, sad) first showed us a few weeks back. And by dropping the flask into the waters below — waters that have the power to restore that which has been lost — Rumple conjured up a cotton candy-like smoke that crept along and then enveloped Storybrooke.

Magic is coming to the Maine burg, Rumple told his visibly worried love, and with magic comes power — something Regina, heretofore sobbing in Henry’s bedroom, seemed to appreciate as she gazed out the window and smirked.

Once fans, what did you think of the Season 1 finale? Quite edge-of-your-seat, crazy-romantic and then haunting, no? What do you think Season 2 will entail, with magic in play in quaint Storybrooke? And are you excited to follow the Snow/Charming story back in fairytale land, as they aim to take back the kingdom, together?

Comments (193)

• I need more Snow and Charming scenes, of course, THEY ARE EPIC. And Emma being a bad ass lady lol

Comment by veronic – May 13, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dunno, I find the two of them cloying and saccharin. Regina is my fave character on the show, best outfits, best character development, great motivation and very relatable.

Comment by Floodlit World – May 14, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I absolutely love her outfits!!!

Comment by Pricilla – May 18, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved it was awesome specially when they started to Rember that was my fav part when is it comming back on I’m looking but haven’t found when yet

Comment by Leslie quontina carlton – June 27, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just dont have words to express how i feel after watching this episode!!! it was amazing and i loved how everyone started to remember!! i even cried three times in the episode!! they did an amazing work with the finale!!! congrats Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz and all the cast and crew! :)

Comment by luli – May 13, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow you must really take tv seriously…. I didn’t cry BUT I LOVE THE SHOW. It’s v. good. Can’t wait for season 2 to come out, have to watch it online cause I’m over the pond and we get it late…

Comment by Sneha – June 12, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why cant it be september already

Comment by Jonathan R Choy – May 13, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emma rulez!!!!!! FANTASTIC

Comment by Jo – May 13, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it! I was squeeing away when Charming and Snow reunited in the street :) to be honest I was hoping to have a reunion with Charming, Snow and Emma, but I understand why that didn’t happen. I am very much looking forward to next season, and I hope with magic coming back that August does too, I had come to love him :)

Comment by Tina – May 13, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. So much!! I felt like that was a huge hole on this episode, they were apart from their daughter for 28 years. I can’t believe we will have to wait until September to see this.

Comment by Belen – May 13, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EXACTLY. You’ve left your daughter for 28 years and you think it’s more important to be making out in the street??? ARGH! I’m really disappointed right there!!! ://///

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 13, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously? You’ve just realized you’re someone else and you’ve been reunited with your true love, and you wouldn’t take time to kiss them? Everything happened very quickly, too. There wasn’t time for them to be casual about being reunited and then go see if they can find their kid before the magic returned. David left town shortly after 8::00am. The magic returned at 8:15am.

Comment by Terri – May 13, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it was the obvious and proper thing for them to finally (finally, finally) renew their romance. It was pretty clear that everyone went confused for a bit as their brains caught up with everything, so finally seeing your spouse? That’d be an immediate thing. Emma’s an adult – she can wait a minute. ;)

Comment by Dubliner – May 13, 2012 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • October*

Comment by luli – May 13, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We have a whole host of reunions to look forward to in Sept.. Abigail/Kathryn and Frederick/gym teacher, Marco/Gepetto and August/Pinocchio, Mad hatter/Jefferson and Grace/Phoebe, Blue Fairy/Mother Superior and Archie/Jiminy, Grumpy and Pink Fairy [forgot their other names], and eventually Rumpel and Baelfire. And, I’ll bet Maleficent rises like a Phoenix from the ashes. Wasn’t the nurse in tonight’s episode Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother? I thought Rumpel killed her.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that was the Blue Fairy.

Comment by Alice – May 13, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, not her, the african/american nurse. Cinderella’s fairy godmother was a lady of color.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow Templar you’re everywhere. ;)

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 07:45 PM PDT
        • No the blue fairy is the mother superior. I think Templar means the nurse who looked gobsmacked at the magic smoke coming…

Comment by Shae – May 13, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The episode earned a “b” from me – it would’ve gotten an “A” if we’d seen more of Belle and Sherriff Hotty, and if we’d gotten some kind of information on Rumple’s son. I wanted more about Bael.

Comment by AB – May 14, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fully admit, I teared up when Belle and Rumple reunited!!! So sweet!

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – May 13, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. That scene in the shop was beautifully acted by both.

Comment by Patti – May 13, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me too…loved it/cried…..done alot of that watching this show over the past 4-5 episodes.

Comment by jen – May 15, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode, but really, did she think her pistol would be that much more effective against a dragon than a magical sword?

Comment by Mike – May 13, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. I lol when she did that. What an epic way to a brilliant season. Season 2 can’t come soon enough. I must say Regina’s smile said it all. One of the best season finales i have seen in a long time.

Comment by greysfan – May 13, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it was more a case of the fact that she’s never used a sword before and didn’t know how to fight with one.

Comment by aunt_deen – May 14, 2012 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read somewhere that the writers try to add snippets of humor to lighten darker moments…I hadn’t noticed them until recently (although Leroy has had a few, come to think of it). You had to know the gun would be ineffective, but it was *funny*. So was Charming’s comment about needing a smaller egg. :-)

Comment by paige – May 14, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • clearly, she didn’t play much d&d, and thus didn’t know how tough dragon hide is. silly girl.

Comment by seras – May 14, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only sad for Maleficent. She died before the magic so I guess she’s dead… But aside of that, it was truly the best season finale I’ve ever seen.

Comment by James – May 13, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think so. Like a Phoenix, Maleficent can rise from the ashes.

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all the hype over it being crazy bananas and intense, I really wanted it to be either of those things. But it felt very predictable. I guessed about 85% of what was going to happen.

Comment by xav – May 13, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freaking loved it!! Soo happy with the rumbelle reunion :)

Comment by Brenna – May 13, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop, please STOP CREATING NAMES FOR COUPLES!

Comment by Sheila – May 14, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t really think Jefferson, the Huntsman or Belle were really necessary to the plot but they wanted to get them in as fan favourites. I was creeped out at Belle and Rumplestiltskin but I ended up feeling so sorry for her. She thought he was a good person who was infected but he’s just as evil as he always was and still choosing magic over her.

Comment by sara – May 13, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think his plan is magic AND her. he told her he loves her.

Comment by Terri – May 13, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The irony of that being that the magic is what his son AND Belle wanted to get rid of.

Comment by sara – May 13, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ExACTly. Stupid, stupid man. Didn’t the whole curse start b/c his son wanted to be with him in a world without magic? Although I thought the reunion was lovely and well-acted by both.

Comment by paige – May 13, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He didn’t want to get rid of magic; it was just the only way he could think of to get his father back to normal.

Comment by Dubliner – May 13, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure he does love her. He also loved Bae and he dropped his son into a portal into another universe.

Comment by sara – May 13, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good grief you are a sour lemon! He didn’t drop Baelfire, he refused to be pulled in with him. Every comment you post is bitter and derogatory. Why do you even watch this show?

Comment by Margeaux – May 13, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just because someone doesn’t like one aspect of the story, doesn’t make them a sour lemon. I gave the finale an A, but agree with Sara. Belle and Bae both don’t want him to use the magic for good reasons, he does terrible things. And when he chooses the magic over them, which he has now done to Belle twice, he clearly loves the power more than either of them.

Comment by Colleen Whelan (@shmrck14) – May 15, 2012 07:50 AM PDT
    • Rumbelle could be creepy if you think too hard about it, but the actors sell it so well (in my opinion) that it ends up being touching and sweet. Maybe he didn’t choose magic over Belle or Bae; was he just immersed in it for so long in FTL that he thinks he can have it all? It makes sense for the plot–after all, a totally good Rumpelstiltskin would be so *boring,* :-) but it did seem like he jumped from Belle to magic back a a bit too quickly for my tastes.

Comment by paige – May 14, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree about the jump back to magic. But I’m pretty certain he had a small window of opportunity to drop the potion into the well. I think it had to be done before 8:15.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I’m saying is Regina needs to stop misplacing her anger. It was NOT Snow’s fault, it was her mother. SHE was the one that ripped out whatshisface’s heart out IN FRONT OF HER.

Comment by Carmichael – May 13, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • daniel. that was so sad. seems like she had a psychotic break. kinda needs sessions with archie.

Comment by jen – May 15, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was literally on the edge of my seat the ENTIRE episode!! so good! cant wait to see what comes in season 2!!

Comment by Mary Kate – May 13, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They tackled so many things that I thought the producers were gonna leave for later seasons! Something spilled and the series went all over the place! I wish this season finale would’ve been 2 hours long because I feel Belle’s storyline was rushed, and to be honest, it all seemed a bit rush, but I guess that’s why the producers predicted A HOLY SH*T. Um, I’m a bit lost on what to feel for what Rumple did in the end because I was sure he’d wanna do something really bad to Regina for keeping Belle from him, and I guess for that he needs magic. For a moment I thought he wanted back his son… AH WTF IS GONNA HAPPEN NEXT… FALL 2012 couldn’t feel farther!

Comment by JO! – May 13, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this! I felt that the finale was a bit rushed and definitely should have been 2 hours. Everything was just happening so fast!

Comment by jenna – May 14, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. It felt like they dragged out the season and then magically everything happened at once. Then they destroy the whole premise of the show and introduce a new one at the last minute. This show both excites me and frustrates me.

Comment by Lester F. Aponte – May 16, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the finale and how things are setup for Season 2. But I have soooo many questions. We know Regina and Gold will be at each others throats, but what about the other story book characters Regina betrayed? Won’t they be after her, too? Do Emma and Henry have magic powers or are they just royalty now? Do we get to see Baelfire and Henry’s father next season? And what fairy tale character is Dr. Whale? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment by tvdiva – May 13, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still think Bae is Henry’s dad making Regina,Rumpel and The charmings one of the weirdest/twisted tv families.

Comment by Patti – May 13, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think so too, Bae must be Henry’s father! It’s obvious! (lol, at least I think so!)
        Great episode! But I would have wanted a more loving (with many kisses) reunion between Rumple & Belle!
        And making Regina “loving” Henry! Oh please! The only person she loves is herself!
        As for Emma: she rules!

Comment by Liz – May 14, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Liz and Patti – I believe bae is Henry’s father too. What a twisted family tree!

Comment by tvdiva – May 14, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just the slightest bit confused, maybe you can help me out? Is magic coming to Storybrook or is the magic from the fountain going to take them back to the fairytale world (since it was true love that went into the fountain and I think true love is needed to break the curse, maybe this will break it completely?). Or, as I’m guessing, is this just one of the season’s “cliffhangers”? I only ask because I personally enjoy the fairytale world more than Storybrook, so it’d be amazing if that happened for next season.

Comment by Sierra – May 13, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tend to think that magic is coming to Storybrooke, rather than everyone being transported back to the Fairy Tale world. Gold and Belle didn’t go anywhere, and they were ground zero of the CGI fog.

Comment by Mike – May 13, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that some of them may be able to go back and forth between worlds now. Rumpel can go looking for Baelfire. Regina can travel back to Wonderland, where IMO her mother Cora is The Queen of Hearts.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i hope they don’t go to fairy world again, most CGI’s scenes are very crappy, unless they find a way to make the scenes with better credible graphics…. it feels like seeing a Playstation game’s CGI scene.

Comment by felix – May 13, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think magic is coming to Storybrooke. One hint is the title of this episode: Land Without Magic. Plus, that well brings back what is lost. So basically, Rumple is bringing back the magic lost on Storybrooke because of the curse. They are still trap in this world, but now they will have magic. I don’t think Rumple would want to go back to FTL, since Bae is still in this dimension, the reason why he created the dark curse.. :)
      So they will all be trapped here for a while, but next season would be the battle between Gold & Regina with magic, and the Charmings with their true love, LOL!

Comment by Joan123 – May 14, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just re-watched all of the episodes on Hulu because I got my husband hooked into this show – and EQ is told when she enacted the curse that she must be willing to give up this fairytale land altogether because essentially the curse replaces that world. I don’t think they’ll be able to go back, so the only other comclusion I can make is that the magic is coming to Storybrooke. What I’m confused about though is how can the magic that Mr. Gold created be bad. He combined “to bring back what is lost” and “true love.” Shouldn’t that mean that everyone gets their happy endings again?

Comment by songbyrd86 – May 14, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * BEST SEASON FINALE EVER * -I:)

Comment by Katherine – May 13, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don”t want to wait until Fall!!!!! I haven’t been so obsessed with a show like this in a long long time! Epic finale!!!!

Comment by English – May 13, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale was amazing. A mother’s love breaking the curse was beautiful. All season I could see that connection of MM&Emma and see Snow in Emma, tonight it was cool to see Emma go all Charming. Gold and Belle’s reunion scene in the shop was beautiful.Perfect. I loved Belle and Jefferson having a scene and hope they explore how Belle ended up locked away and how Jefferson not only knew about Belle but about Rumpel&Belle. I’m also curious on how Snow&Charming took the kingdom back and since Gold was cursed until he heard Emma’s name, how did he know to give the savior’s kid to Regina. The Huntsman reveal/scene rocked but I wanted more of him. It looks like Rumpel is bringing magic to our world and heading towards the path that cost him Belle and Bae in the first place. The season 2 scene I most look forward to is Emma and her parents coming face to face.

Comment by Patti – May 13, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW! You just gave words to what I was feeling but couldn’t find the words to say it myself!

Comment by English – May 13, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and all this happened in mothers day.. :) hahaha

Comment by luli – May 13, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • during the whole episode i wished for that scene to happpened… the charming family reunited ♥

Comment by luli – May 13, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Loved it I just now have all kinds of questions that I wont know the answers to any time soon… Like will they remember their time stuck in Storybrook or will they only remember everything from right before the curse took hold? What’s gonna happen now that magic is coming to the world? What’s gonna happen with all of the betrayed characters? And where will they pick up next season? A few minutes later or…. So many questions and such a long wait!!! I love it and hate it the wait is gonna suck, but I’m super excited to see where they are going to take it!!

Comment by Tasha – May 13, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That finale was SOOOO beyond epic and completely awesome! My favorite scenes were the ones of Charming and his daughter Emma both fighting the dragon. That was cool! I also loved every second of badass Emma along with the Emma who you could tell was still trying to process everything but was driven by her love for Henry (and she is so going to remain the audience voice of trying to comprehend this whole thing and that she’s a fairy tale character, LOL). Wow, it really was a satisfying finale. =) I enjoyed every single minute of it and had a great time watching with some friends tonight who are also big fans. We gasped, cried, cheered, laughed, gasped again, melted into puddles over Emma & Henry in the hospital, and then went WTH??! over the magical purple smoke monster. Talk about setting things up nicely for the second season! I can’t wait to see what’s coming next and count me as another one who REALLY wants to see the reunion of Emma and her parents. Thanks to all the producers, writers, actors, and crew for creating such a magical show and I’m so ready for season two!! =D

Comment by Heather – May 13, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe this opens the door for the return of Graham? The well is supposed to restore what has been lost. Is it just magic or also maybe people that have been lost??

Comment by Felicity – May 13, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mmhhmm nice theory :D

Comment by luli – May 13, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love that. The huntsman scene was way too short and his death was due to magic so mabye it can be undone.

Comment by Kelly – May 14, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly Emma has the worst luck with guys… :( I’m glad they brought back the Huntsman, but I wish that meant the Sheriff would be back as well. The curse has to be somewhat broken for everyone to remember who they are, so does that August will return to normal man form? I’m really excited for next season!!

Comment by Garnet_and_Gold47 – May 13, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe the Blue Fairy can restore him.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sure was “crazy bananas” Regina is a true evil queen but I think her love for Henry was genuine. I really liked to see the huntsman back, I wish he was to come back somehow

Comment by M – May 13, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cue ‘Smoke Monster’. Looking forward to Sept.

Comment by Michele – May 13, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking with the purple is that the Smoke Monsters girlfriend or what? And that grin at the end wasn’t a good sign, folks….

Comment by sladewilson – May 13, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope but part of me thinks that grin will be short lived. I don’t think she knows that Belle was set free.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the ending ! season two is going to be awesome! I appreciate the fact that they tide up the loose ends . they did not know if they were coming back for a second season , so it is nice that they tired to give the season closure while starting a new chapter ! other shows in danger of cancellation should take a page from this book . respect the viewers enough to give their show an ending just in case they don’t come back – Bravo to Once a upon a time!

Comment by carmen – May 13, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the finale. But please tell me that I wasn’t the only one having flashbacks and telling Emma/Cameron to start diagnosing Henry?

Comment by Karen MT – May 13, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right there with ya Karen! I could just see House, Chase and Foreman in another room with their pagers all going off…:D

Comment by Sierra – May 13, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely the best season finale of any show I have ever watched.
    Emma is amazing —> my fav character forever and ever!

Comment by bGb – May 13, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was awesome. I think it’s so ballsy for them to resolve two of the biggest story arcs (Emma not believing and breaking the curse) in one season and I can’t wait to see where they go next. I expected the former to be resolved but I’m actually quite shocked by the latter. Definitely expected them to drag atleast another season out of that.

Comment by Dude – May 13, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOOO GOOOOOD! I want to know why everyone in Storybrooke wasn’t mad when they came to??? I always imagined it that way…were they just confused? I wish they would’ve specified so I didn’t have to wait ha ha. Even Emma asked why everyone wasn’t mad. Either way, this is going to be the longest wait ever!

Comment by Amber – May 13, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The nun/Blue Fairy turned to her and told her majesty to go into hiding…so I’m pretty sure they remember who they were.

Comment by Michelle – May 14, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This may be a stupid question, but did August die? I understand that he ran out of time and returned to his wooden form, but now that Magic is coming to Storybrooke can he be saved?

Comment by Ceili – May 13, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As I posted up thread, The Blue Fairy/Mother Superior may be able to make him real again.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s the one who made it so he would turn back into wood in the first place.

Comment by sara – May 13, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s the one who made him real.

Comment by Templar – May 13, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thank you both! So curious because I viewed him as a potential love interest for Emma and that would have been two that she lost!

Comment by Ceili – May 14, 2012 08:23 PM PDT
  • I was more excited about the Rumple and Belle part than the Snow and Charming. Probably because Snow and Charming kind of already had their “Happy Ending” but Rumple and Belle are still trying to get theirs. I can’t wait to see more of that courtship because there is no way they wouldn’t bring back Belle (and also Jefferson) after that finale.

Comment by Julie – May 13, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actress Emilie De Ravin (Belle) add another show, OUAT poducers have no long-term plans for her, sorry.

Comment by reply – May 13, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, her pilot was not picked up. And the producers said they do plan to use her next season. We just don’t know how much right now.

Comment by Jo – May 13, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Besides if her new show actually had got picked up it would have been on ABC. It’s easier to do one show and then occasionally another show if they are on the same network. Just because an actor or actress is on one show doesn’t mean they can’t show up on another. Look at Alison Brie she does both Community and Mad Men.

Comment by Julie – May 13, 2012 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was great. I once opined that for this series to work, season one it is explained, season two it is contained, season three it is returned, and season four it is settled (the war between good and evil with magic). Glad to see they seem to agree.

Comment by Zack B – May 13, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely a step up from a good portion of the middle episodes when it seemed like the show was spinning its wheels.

In our recap, I elaborate how floored I am that Hororwitz and Kitsis went all out in a single episode, especially since Emma was literally whining and crying two episodes ago about how she couldn’t handle the responsibility.

Excited to see what comes next. Hoping it’s all about the power grab between Rumple and Evil Queen. Everyone else should take some time to acclimatize to their old personalities in this new location.

Comment by cinephilactic – May 13, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it, but we waited the whole season for Emma to be truly reunited with her parents and that didn’t happen. Now we have to wait until the fall.

Comment by Mary – May 13, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was really looking forward to that part as well. :( Hopefully we’ll get a bit of that on the first episode back.

Comment by Ann – May 14, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suppose the next season is going to be the journey of getting Rumpy to see that in order to beat Regina, and gain all the power, he’ll have to give it up and join the rest of Storybrooke in their fight against her. In order to keep love, he’ll have to sacrifice it. Hasn’t that been the point of the whole show? Finding true love (in many forms)? I mean, I’m fairly certain that with the return of magic, the people of Storybrooke will be in much the same position that they were before the curse in fairy tale land. All uniting against the Evil Queen. I think that the key to victory (series victory, not just season) will be to resurrect those who had their hearts crushed (I.e. Regina’s lover and Father). Because she didn’t start out evil, I honestly think they’ll end the series with her back to “normal”. We shall see!

Comment by Abby – May 13, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’ll be the whole town against one single person. That’s what Rumple wants, but the others aren’t stupid. It won’t take them long to understand that he screwed them over just as much as Regina did by creating the curse that had their happy ends ripped away from them for his selfish desire. And Emma will be so mad at him for how he screwed her with the potion. He was willing to let Henry die for it. I think there will be a lot of battle fields next season. Rumple vs. Regina, Storybrooke vs. Regina, Storybrooke vs. Rumple, etc. And there will most likely be lots of uneasy alliances, similar to the Regina/Emma alliance in the finale, too. I can’t wait!

Comment by JohnB – May 14, 2012 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think Rumpel wants everyone against Regina. I think he just wants more power than she has. How boring is ultimate power if you have no adversaries? He wants to find Baelfire now.

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Another thing to think about was Rumple was imprisoned in fairytale land to keep him from taking cinderella’s first born. AND Emma still owes Rumple a favor from all of that in Storybrook. Oy.

Comment by songbyrd86 – May 14, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering if Dr. Whale is the whale from pinocchio?

Comment by JustMe – May 13, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s Doc (the dwarf)

Comment by fiona – May 13, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No he isn’t. There is another Dr. at the hospital who is Doc. He was in an early episode.

Comment by Tara – May 13, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pinocchio! I really hope there’s a way to bring him back (I think it would probably be too easy if he returned to being human after the curse was partially broken) I don’t think its fully broken as they didn’t return back as they had thought.

I also really hope the first episode will explore the Charming family. It’ll be interesting to see how the dynamic has changed now that they know that this young woman with a son of her own and is pretty much the same age as them is really their daughter lol.

One of the best season finales I’ve seen in a long time

Comment by fiona – May 13, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • august may have been late for the party but he certainly made up for that. hope he does come back.

Comment by jen – May 15, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does it seem ironic to anyone else that a mothers love is the true love that broke the curse and this episode aired on MOTHERS day… hmm wonder if that was planned or just ended up happening that way :)

Comment by meghan – May 13, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG that’s a nice observation! BUT I just realized! I hope the ratings soared and Mother’s Day doesn’t affect its viewership :l

Comment by JO! – May 13, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have no idea if they did it on purpose or not but I thought it was quite beautiful that it all aired and happened that way on Mother’s Day! =)

Comment by Heather – May 13, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree… since the curse was broken by a mother’s true love… good observation.

Comment by Brenda Gonzalez – May 13, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone think it will be kind of weird when Snow and Charming realize their daughter is 28… and to be truthful, I’m pretty sure Snow is younger than 28 and charming maybe 28-30 at the most… Even though the curse if broken, they are still stuck in Maine.

Now I’m guessing that for season 2, the war will start and everyone will try to get back home to Fairy Tale Land. But then again… Emma and Henry are not from Fairy Tale Land, not really. Emma was born there, but lived her whole life in the non-magical realm, and Henry is from this world, and also “who the hell is Henry’s father?” I guess that is a question for either, season 2 or a far, far away season.

Okay so season 2 should be about that war, Mr.Gold/Rumpelstiltskin finding his son, trying to punish Regina/Evil Queen. Snow, Charming, Emma and Henry fighting the King and the “Imp.” this should make for a very interesting season. Regina/Evil Queen just lost the only thing she loved, her “son” Henry… and I bet she will so anything to get him back. She blamed Snow for the lost of her beloved stable-boy, Daniel. Now she will blame Emma for the loss of her “son”.

Now, Rumpelstiltskin needed a way into the realm his son disappeared to years before; but he also needed a way back to Fairy Tale Land, since he in no way wishes to live in a world without magic. But then again he hid “true love” so it would be transported with them to the new world and so would magic.

Why was it that only Emma could get that back? Obviously, Emma is “true love” incarnate, but what does that mean for Rumpelstiltskin? He needed her, there’s no way it was only to get the potion back from the dragon. Then it can’t be to go back to Fairy Tale Land since it seems he can care less were he is, as long as he has power….

I guess we will find out season 2. Sorry for the ranting.

-Brenda

Comment by Brenda Gonzalez – May 13, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emma is 29 years now, and Snow have pretty much the same age, but I don’t think it’s a problem, OUAT revolves around the Emma’s journey and we meet her as an adult, so her lost childhood is relatively secondary.

Comment by Val – May 13, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty certain that Emma is 28 not 29. The series started on her 28th birthday (as Rumple said she would), I don’t think she has been in SB for a year.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brenda, you are not ranting. what you are having is a discussion with other fans of Once Upon A Time. This is one of the many websites where fans can bond with each other and hopefully shouldn’t be called nasty means names because one view isn’t the same as another. Also reading your view is very enjoyable.

Comment by Kathy – May 16, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dr Whale is one of the Dwarves.

Comment by paburrows – May 13, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, he isn’t. Doc the dwarf is at the hospital though. He was in an earlier episode.

Comment by Tara – May 13, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was so good, this episode encapsulated everything I’ve been waiting for to happen… It was amazing. Obviously though, as the last scenes of Storybrooke being given magic, many questions arise, i.e. Will there be any more flashbacks? Will they be able to go back to Fairy Tale Land? Now that Regina has been found out, what will become of her?, among many others… But one scene I am desperately wanting to see next fall is the reunion between Emma and her parents Snow and Charming… Their reunion scene was truly lovely to see… and one last thing: Jennifer REALLY took it up another notch when she was saying goodbye to Henry. She was grand in that scene. I have to say, my favorite scene, it was truly beautiful to watch… Can’t wait for next season!! Yaayy!! Sad this one’s over though. But with this one being over, many questions were answered…

Good night everyone!! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Thanks for the quick post Matt, I really HATE waiting until the next day for the recaps…

Comment by Ileana M – May 13, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t know what to think of this episode. It was great but the whole hour felt like 5 minutes, I wanted more. I felt like “it’s over already?” So I guess that makes it really great! I wonder what’s gonna happen now. It felt more like a series finale. I hope the writers have more stories left to tell for season 2.

Comment by marisa_once – May 13, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for next season, with the charmings and their daugher who is almost the same age as them and their gran kid! Can’t wait to see how they handle that

Comment by fif – May 13, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Coming from a world where magic always existed, I think they will take it in stride. If a wooden marionette can be a real boy and dragons need slaying, having a child your own age would be fairly pedestrian.

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was pretty good, I kinda don’t like the true love from emma’s kiss as I always have thought of it as the other kind of love but I guess it works. Also felt sad for Regina for some reason and still like Rumple and Belle together. Is Maleifecent dead cause I kinda liked her? Loved seeing Graham/huntsman. Also cool that magic is back

Comment by Juan – May 13, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What can embody true love more than the pure love of a mother for her son? I thought it was perfect :)

Comment by Shey – May 13, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you not hear Regina say she wanted Henry to be just hers? True Love is unselfish. Regina is not capable of being unselfish. She killed her own father to get what she wanted.

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME SEASON FINALE!!!!! I DID NOT SEE THAT MALEFICENT TWIST COMING!.
    To this day Maleficent has always creeped out but I’ve always been fascinated by her and she is one of the best Disney villians. I wish they used her more. Can’t wait for season 2. :)

Comment by A – May 13, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t pay attention to anything in the show once I recognized they were filming scenes at Lake Kachess in Washington state, where I used to frequently camp as a kid. Does the show do most of their filming in British Columbia? I think they must.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 13, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed they do!

Comment by Julie (@CDNspnFAN) – May 14, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • storybrook is filmed in steveston, which is part of richmond bc. i was in steveston this past weekend and walked by red and grannys diner and thought to myself “hey, that cafe looks like red and grannys diner” and immediately, i thought “waitaminute… it IS red and granny’s diner. the whole show is filmed here!” haha

Comment by Lena – May 14, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know the budget for this show might not be as big as the show probably deserves but hopefully the special effects get better. Other than that A plus finale. B- Season 1

Comment by figuerooni@gmail.com – May 14, 2012 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The costumes are superb!

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree-especially regina’s and she wears them so well.

Comment by jen – May 15, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrgggh!!! I hope I am wrong, but did anyone else notice the clock stop AGAIN at the same time it was stuck at before? I hope we don’t have a repeat of Season 1 with only Henry and Emma knowing the truth and the curse back in place………….just saying!

Comment by Mary Ann – May 14, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed that too, I am hoping is just a coincidence, a way to show that they came full circle, because otherwise would be really dissappointing, you invest a whole season into breaking a curse just for it to be re activated 5 minutes after it broke?

Comment by vissy – May 14, 2012 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMO It means that everyone went into auto pilot at 8;15 when the curse was enacted and now everyone will pick up where they left off except in a very different place. They will begin to age again, children will grow etc.

Comment by Templar – May 14, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I worried about that too.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh and we don’t know for sure that it stopped again. It just went from 8:14 to 8:15 then it was over in less than a minute.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – May 15, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot. Maybe they should have made Emma’s believing more of a process. And the way she “remembered” things like her birth was a litlte weird. But the scenes with Emma and Regina rocked so hard! Best thing about the episode for me. The fairy tale stuff was ok, but we knew how most of it would go anyway. The dragon was really cool though! I hope when Emma threw the sword Maleficent was turned back into her human form and she is not dead. Kristin Bauer needs to come back next season!
    I felt really sorry for Regina. She truly loves Henry so much. This is what they like about the show. The villains are not black and white. Regina loves Henry more than anything and Gold loves Belle. It makes them so much more human. But I think Belle looked disappointed when Gold unleashed the magic. It will be interesting how they walk the line between keeping Regina and Gold villains, but also showing that they love and have something good in them. But I have to say. If they do a redemption story for one of them, I would pick Regina for it.

Comment by Hanna – May 14, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post