NBC Renews Whitney For Season 2

Whitney RenewedNBC has renewed freshman sitcom Whitney for a second season, TVLine has confirmed.

Though even TVLine acknowledged that the Whitney Cummings-fronted comedy got off to a rocky start, it eventually gelled into an appealingly quirky neo Friends. (At least Acquaintances.)

RELATED | Fall TV: NBC Picks Up Jekyll & Hyde-Like Medical Drama and Revengeful Sudser

The show joins the already-renewed Parks and Recreation, Up All Night30 RockCommunity, ParenthoodLaw & Order: SVUSmash and Grimm.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

• Rock Golf says:

This show must have entered the Whitney’s Protection Program.

• gun2head says:

My family was waiting to see if Whitney was gonna return this fall and we are so damn happy and can’t wait to see it again. I want my Roxy fix and I want to see Whitney beak some other weird body part and when can I go drinking with Alex and can we see Neal dance sometime and oh ya….pass the dubbie Lilly as you balls the rock off of Mark.

1. Jacob says:

Say what now?

2. 14a says:

Ugh… Why won’t they just let it die!?!?

• Kristy says:

What a dumass comment-if you don’t like it, change the fkn channel!

• i agree!!!! i love whitney!!!

• whitney is a douchebag says:

no this show is retarded. it is wasting valuable space for other decent shows. dead air is better than this show

• schmoe says:

Any show on Friday isn’t wasting valuable space, particularly on NBC which has few quality alternatives. Friday is a dead time slot. It is a final chance for struggling shows to prove their meddle.

Whitney is the ideal show for this slot. As the show quality was improving mightily at the end, particularly with its side characters finally becoming less two dimensional, it deserved a chance to see if it can continue its momentum.

I should also point out that this is only Whitney’s second season. There is another Friday show on NBC, whose viewers seem obsessed with trashing Whitney, that has had three seasons to prove its meddle and has repeatedly failed in the ratings. It is given yet another chance. The viewers on that show that continually trash Whitney should be more concerned with supporting their own failed show.

• Ted Corn says:

Bet you’re a reality show fan.

• el says:

You should have a “like” option or a thumbs up option because I agree…

3. rod says:

that´s a shock

4. ScrubsGuy says:

*facepalm*

5. jasie says:

If this is picked up and Harrys Law is canned, that will really suck.

6. M says:

“More to come…”

Unfortunately

7. Kate says:

Just when you thought they were making good decisions (community, P&R, parenthood), they do this!

8. The Internet says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. Watch out, this is gonna be the only positive comment. But I’m excited! Whitney truly morphed into a great sitcom. And it’s probably the only NBC comedy that makes me laugh consistently. That’s not to say it’s a better comedy, but it’s a fun way to spend a half hour. And it probably costs a lot less than any of the other comedies.

• Di says:

I liked it too! The best episode was the flashback to how Whit and Alex met

• MadameDame says:

It won’t be the only positive comment ! I love Whitney and I found myself with a grin on my face when I read this news. A surprisingly bigger grin than when any other show I was rooting for – and that I would consider smarter – got renewed.

• gun2head says:

a friggn mazing show….loved the second 1/2 of the season.
        Love Alex, Roxy, and the cute skinny one called Cummings.
        My family are all into watching this. What I mean is that my sisters and brothers are into it. I don’t have kids so that’s not the deal. All of my family get together and watch this show and then we steal the best lines and use them as our own FU comments to ummmm others.

• CM says:

I love this show, Funny at the end of a long day at the office, and not as boring as Up all Night.

• Trent says:

I love Whitney too!!
      It was a little slow starting but after episode (3 or 4)ish it really took off

• Polly says:

totally agree.

• matttucker76 says:

I don’t know about “great sitcom” but it definitely became a better show than when it started. Is it it “must see TV”? No. But it’s entertaining when you happen to have NBC on, even if Whitney Cummings herself is still pretty grating. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the first season finale.

• Elisabeth says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!

• Kay says:

You are not alone. My hubby and I like Whitney. The cast is really good and the situations are real and funny.

• samorf says:

I love it too. The first episode was rocky but it got much better. The cast and characters are all funny and the relationship between Alex and Whitney is the best part. I relate to it and am so happy this show was renewed.

I would encourage people who gave up early to give it another shot. They found their legs and NBC and TV Line recognized that.

• Jermaine Winston says:

I’ll admit the show got off to a rocky start but it truly formed itself into a sitcom that I believe will be around for at least five more seasons!

10. sandy says:

and 30 rock gets only 13 epis this is why nbc is doing great

11. George says:

They should of considered Bent that actually has creative potential and a lot Critics watched all 6 episodes and gave positive feedback.. While Whitney will be sample next by critics and ignored for the rest of the season.

12. TV Gord says:

I have to say I’m surprised, but it did get marginally better as the season went on…

13. amy says:

yuck! I hope it dies.

14. Ken McLellan says:

I agree with Michael Collado, Whitney got better and funnier with each episode. Glad to see it’s coming back!

15. Mike says:

Well yeah its all based on ratings, Whitney was doing as well as Community and Parks, if you don’t like the show why not just ignore it.

• Oliver says:

That’s an oft-repeated “fact” with dubious basis in reality.

Parks consistently got better ratings in 18-49 than Whitney during 2012.

For example:
      Whitney from March 1: 1.5
      Parks from March 2: 1.7

Whitney from March 7: 1.6
      Parks from March 9: 1.9

Whitney did slightly better than Community, but Community is up against The Big Bang Theory.

Thursday 8pm is a death slot for NBC. Look at what it did to 30 Rock’s ratings. No-one can reasonably argue that Whitney would have done better than Community in the same timeslot.

• schmoe says:

Wasn’t Whitney up against American Idol? That is not easy pickings either.

Community has been around for three years. The show has reached its full upside. Its highly unlikely that the show is going increase its audience significantly in its fourth season. It has a loyal following, but it is a small following. Better to try out a show that has similar ratings but not yet reached its full upside. Perhaps as a compromise, bury Community to a death slot like Friday 10:30pm. The rabid, loyal, but small fanbase can tivo the episode and watch it later.

• Oliver says:

Whitney was up against American Idol beginning 2012, but Idol (Wednesday) was down 30% this season and is less direct competition than another sitcom.

Community is already buried in a death slot. TBBT is the #1 show on TV and Idol Thursday is #4. Thursday 8pm is literally the most competitive timeslot in the week.

• schmoe says:

American Idol is still a beast, even if it down from prior seasons.

Community has been moved around several times over its three seasons. It has not always been against The Big Bang Theory. In fact if I recall correctly, Outsourced got the same rating Community got last year. Whitney, Community, departed NBC shows like Outsourced — they roughly get the same ratings – peanuts. That is the default rating any NBC show.

16. Katie says:

I wonder if all those who are mad about this actually watched this show, the first few episodes were admittedly nothing spectacular. This is a genuinely funny show, give it a chance when it comes back, Whitney and Chris have great chemistry. It is the only new sitcom that I watched every week throughout the season and laughed out loud at least a few times each episode.

17. Franklin says:

if this show was renewed they have got to pick up and renew Chelsea. It may have been cliqued, but it seemed far more superior to this. And that would mean for chelsea handler and laura prepon, nothing wrong there !!

18. kyle says:

CRAP!! Let this show die already!!

• Mike says:

Why seems to have just as many fans as Community

• whitney is a douchebag says:

because community is actually funny. oh and intelligent. the setups are so obvious and drawn out in Whitney. Whitney could use some guidance from Shakespeare: brevity is the soul of wit

19. Selek says:

Why? It’s plainly a horrible series and Cummings is about as likable as Crone’s Disease on it (though she maybe be better off-screen, but I doubt it considering it is based on her stand-up act). But like ABC’s equally horrible Last Man Standing, it’s predictable, safe comedy (in which I use that word loosely) with plots we’ve seen 10,000 million times since TV began 70 years ago (Even Mr. T and Tina did them better). It’s offensive on how little they try to be even remotely funny.

• Mike says:

But they are funny, sure we seen the stuff before but it works, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. More creative doesn’t mean better

• Selek says:

That’s the problem, though @Mike, We’re so easily mollified by these type of shows. You’ve seen it all before, as you said, but you still accept it like a good little sheep. Why are broadcast networks loosing eyes? Because a bunch of people have decided they’re tired of being insulted weekly with shows like Whitney that does not even try to set themselves apart from anything else. When people ask others why they climb a mountain and they say “because its there.” American’s have become that way with lame TV shows like Whitney. The viewers that are left are people who will watch anything “because its on.” That’s not good enough for me, and not good enough for many others. When I was a kid, I loved TV, but I realized years latter that what I liked was pretty crappy. I think now, much older and wiser, I can’t be taken in by TV shows that want to insult my intelligence. Even after a hard day at work, I don’t mind being stimulated by a creative TV series.

• Chris says:

You take your tv way too seriously. If it entertains you then watch it. If it doesn’t then don’t. It’s as simple as that. I happen to like Last Man Standing because it reminds me of tv shows that I used to watch in the 90’s when I was little. I also like shows like Modern Family and 30 Rock the supposed “smart” shows with really creative ideas and writing. Let me tell you something. There’s nothing innovative or new in any sitcom nowadays whether it be Modern Family, 30 Rock or Whitney. I’m such a tv junky that I guarantee you I can name a really old show that had already done the idea before in their episode. What’s important to me is that the recycled idea is entertaining and done in a funny way. I mean seriously people only pick bones at the multi cams but didn’t I just see Modern Family do a Disney Land episode last Wednesday? Oh yeah, that’s really new and innovative right there. Family Matters, Step by Step, George Lopez, Boy Meets World, Full House and many more never did that one before. But I don’t hate Modern Family for doing this because I found the episode HILARIOUS! Nobody picks at it though because it’s a single camera comedy and it’s the highest rated show on ABC. If Whitney or better yet Last Man Standing did this, it would be target practice for self proclaimed critics like yourself

• Selek says:

Yes, I probably do take my TV too seriously. But I find nothing wrong with demanding quality. The Modern Family episode was good, but I agree that the corporate synergy between ABC and Disney is pretty obvious. As for the recycled ideas, again if your going to do them, let’s put a new spin on them, I don’t see that with Whitney -I mean how many people figured out in the Modern Family episode that as soon as Haley saw Dylan he was working for the park? Even that’s unrealistic, as employees don’t enter or leave through the main gate.

As some else pointed out, I do seem to have an issue with shows that are multi-camera, though I never thought of them in that way. It all has to do with the script and the talent for me, but maybe there is a winter of discontent with the format. Though I loved shows like Golden Girls, Roseanne, and Home Improvement in the 1990’s. Oh, and lets call Last Man Standing what it really is, Home Improvement II. Maybe, since the single camera comedies appeal more to me, I’ve thought them better.

In the end, character driven shows get my attention, where plot driven ones are dull and predictable. Even if the character driven shows are reworking tried and true plots, they seem to take an extra care at disguising it. From my point of view, anyways.

• whitney is a douchebag says:

this guy is right

20. Dan says:

Yay first Community and now this, great news

21. John Berggren says:

How the F does Whitney rate a full 22 and Community gets stuck with 13?
    There better be a 13 episode season 5 coming.

22. João Amaral says:

lol Bent was way way better. and is getting canceled

23. PhillyWings says:

ridic

24. zengarden says:

…. really?

25. Mia says:

And this is why NBC is a giant failure nowadays.

26. Lorie says:

Is this for real?! Unbelievable!

27. ksica says:

ratings get shows renewed not your opinions about their quality! i don’t watch this show, but people here obviously don’t know that. this show has better ratings than community (and that show i watch and love), why wouldn’t nbc renew it?

28. CJ says:

How about WATCHING Whitney before you decide it is the worst show ever? Yeah, it royally sucked when it started but by the end of the season, it was my favorite new show of the year, well ahead of Up All Night (which despite its incredible cast, is just not that funny).

• Deena says:

Totally agree. I tried Up All Night & found it unfunny while I got a few laughs each week out of Whiney & there were more laughs as the season went on. I am looking forward to see what they do next season.

• gun2head says:

i totally agree. I don’t hate Up All Night and really love the people on the show but it really is not a funny show. I still like it but when I watch Whitney I really really laugh. That’s all I need in a show. I have too many other things to worry about and only want to laugh when I’m kicking it. Whitney and more specifically the rest of the people on Whitney crack me up.

29. Leah says:

A full season? If so, I am even more disappointed in NBC than usual. While Whitney did improve near the season finale, it is NOWHERE near as good as Community, Up All Night, 30 Rock, and Parks and Rec…all of which got shortened season deals.

30. Say what? Guess the ‘Are you there?’ renewal will be next!

• justafan says:

thankfully it shows that nbc does recognize crap, and they will get rid of it…say buh bye chelsea… i’m of the opinion there is more going on than meets the eye … otherwise why would they bother keeping a show that does NOT produce the ratings they would like to see

31. rachel says:

dear god why

32. JB says:

I don’t mind Whitney Cummings’ stand-up and I gave this show a fair chance, but I hated it. I probably watched 8-10 episodes and I’m quite confident I didn’t laugh out loud once, plus I found the characters to be just wholly unlikable. I am a fan of ‘Community’ and although I felt that season 3 wasn’t great, ‘Community’ on its worst episode was about a hundred times better than ‘Whitney’ on its best.

33. Toms1€ says:

Whitney became a very good show and I’m happy with this news :)))

34. Brendan says:

Every dime that is saved when they cancel this 5 episodes into its second season should go toward a back 9 for Community.

35. Moe says:

I’m glad. I liked the show, and I agree, it did get better!

36. I actually love this show. It did take a few episodes for it to find its footing and tone, but now that it has it is great.

37. kd says:

Did not see that coming

38. matt says:

Whitney definitely got better towards the end of the season

39. Tania says:

Whitney will get canceled during the second season. Now that would make me laugh. :D

40. AD says:

I enjoyed Whitney. I found it funny, and I loved the relationship between the two leads. At the end of the day, even though they disagree, you really believe that they love each other. Liked the Roxanne/Mark dynamic as well. Not sure where they are going with the other two, but I’m glad they will have a second season.

41. Selek says:

We all know “Joey” was a huge mistake for NBC. We all know it was not funny, it was stale and sad reminder of what “Friends” achieved. It takes a clever network executive to okay something that is even worse than “Joey.” Thank you peacock network, by renewing “Whitney,” you clearly saw there was a even lower level of “comedy” hell you can strive for (though, it does have company with “Last Man Standing,” “Two and Half Men,” “2 Broke Girls” and “Saved By the Bell: The College Years”).

• Jake says:

Multi cam bias much?

• Selek says:

That has nothing to do with it, though I see your point. It’s the “funny” that is being missed in all of these shows, whether they’re single or multi-camera shows. I probably do take TV too seriously, but what’s wrong with that? If you’re going to do comedy, don’t you think you should be at least humorous? I would take a giggle. But it’s too much of the same thing we’ve seen since Lucy created it. As an example, Don’t Trust the B_ in Apartment 23. Not a clever concept by far, and the creators were aware of that, so they hired better actors and the made sure the scripts worked (Though the creepy neighbor guy has got to go if its picked-up). But it is single camera, so maybe I do have a bias. Funny, I loved the multi-camera stuff from the 90’s, and I don’t care if they bring them back, but really why not call Last Man Standing what it really is, Home Improvement II?

42. Elisabeth says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE – ALL YOU CRY BABIES THAT WARE NEGATIVELY COMMENTING – GO CRY SOMEWHERE ELSE NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR STUPID A** THOUGHTS =) LOVE WHITNEY ALL THE WAY!

• Elisabeth says:

*ARE*

• Selek says:

You’re hilarious in your sad devotion to this show. Misguided, maybe. Naive, certainly. I’m also guessing you like most reality shows and think Dane Cook is funny.

• Chris says:

You are seriously pathetic man. You give up your precious time to hate on a show that you don’t watch. I’m also guessing you’re not married and live in your parent’s basement.

• Selek says:

Actually, I’m married with 3 kids (wife works, I take care of the kids). I watched the show, DVR’ed it because it was opposite ABC’s much better sitcoms. I tried. I did. It just never, ever gelled. And honestly, Whitney Cummings is just a pathetic, horrible actress.

• Well not everyone feels that way. What’s wrong with liking the show? I’m sure there are shows you watch that I wouldn’t like, and that is fine. And for the record, I despise reality television and don’t listen/watch anything with Dane Cook.

• Selek says:

I’m married and have 3 kids… you thing I would have any judgment…

I just read myself and now I see how wrong I can be… I won’t bother you and go wipe my kids mess all around the house… after all I watch so much TV and my large a** proves that I know what I’m talking about…

• Elisabeth says:

hahahaa amen! that’s funny :)

43. Mike D says:

this show is like someone took a ‘Leno’ and put it on low-carb bread.

44. Larry says:

I will NEVER EVER watch Whitney. Sorry but just the promos want me to get sick. And I don’t even know why. It’s just not a show I want to invest in. I wish NBC would put on more quality comedies like Parks and Rec/Community instead of lowering to the lowest denominator to get laughs.

45. Britta Unfiltered says:

I would try not to care if if this show got renewed as long as it didn’t take any spots from anything I liked, but I am worried they won’t renew Up All Night, unless there is news on that already? But I am burning with anger that Parks and Rec and Community get half seasons when this gets a full season. I feel really bummed today hearing the news too that parks and rec and community only get one more season. I hope TBS picks them up for the 2014 season.

46. lamercebrollasempre says:

Totally shocked, but pleasantly surprised. No, it’s not the best show in the world, but it’s funny, and I enjoyed watching it.