Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: ABC Picks Up Connie Britton's Nashville, Sarah Chalke's Parents Plus 6 Others

Connie Britton NashvilleComing this fall on ABC: Connie Britton!

The Alphabet net has given the green light to eight new shows, including the Britton-fronted musical soap Nashville. Also receiving series orders are dramas Zero Hour and Red Widow, the Shawn Ryan submarine thriller Last Resort, supernatural spooker 666 Park Avenue, and comedies The Neighbors, Family Tools and Sarah Chalke-starrer How to Live With Your Parents For the Rest of Your Life.

RELATED | ABC Renews Scandal, Happy Endings, Grey’s Anatomy and More!

Here are the show descriptions:

* The Neighbors revolves around a family (which includes Jamie Gertz) who moves to an upscale New Jersey ‘burb and discovers the folks next door are actually extraterrestrials.

* Family Tools (formerly Red Van Man) is a single-camera comedy that follows a blue collar guy (Kyle Bornheimer) who puts his dreams on hold in order to take over the family handyman business from his dad (J.K. Simmons).

* Nashville is a twang-tinged family soap that revolves around one country music star at her peak (Britton) and another on the rise (Hayden Panettiere).

* Red Widow (formerly Penoza) centers on the widow of an assassinated criminal who is forced to adopt her husband’s role in a crime syndicate in order to protect her family. Lee Tergesen (Oz) is set to co-star.

* Zero Hour is a thriller about a magazine editor (Anthony Edwards) who becomes involved in one the most compelling conspiracies in human history when his wife is kidnapped.

* How to Live With Your Parents For the Rest of Your Life is a multi-cam comedy about Polly (Sarah Chalke), a recently divorced single mom who moves back in with her eccentric parents, Elaine (Elizabeth Perkins) and cancer survivor Max (Brad Garrett), a couple who’s full of life but knows no boundaries.

* 666 Park Avenue — from Fringe co-executive producer David Wilcox — centers on a couple (Dave Annable and Rachael Taylor) who agree to manage an historic (and supernaturally-charged) New York City apartment complex owned by another couple (Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams).

* Last Resort is a thriller set in the near future when the country is very fractured and revolves around the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become hunted fugitives after ignoring an order to fire nuclear missiles. Cast includes Andre Braugher, Autumn Reeser, Scott Speedman, Dichen Lachman and Bruce Davison.

Comments (73)

• any news on whether Gilded Lily’s has been picked up, I’ve been looking forward to watching this since I read about it in your pilot season FAQ

Comment by Martina – May 11, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, no. That thing is dead. And thank God. We don’t need FOUR Shonda shows. Three is too much as it is.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 11, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard ABC will pass on it

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 11, 2012 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was looking forward to that one too ever since I heard John Barrowman was attached to it. These other shows they’ve picked up sound rather lame so how bad could the pilot for Gilded Lily’s have been that they’d pass on it?

Comment by Tess – May 11, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was more keen on Gilded lilies than retaining Private Practice, actually. But oh well, if it isn’t happening, it isn’t happening.

Comment by ben – May 11, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • which is the pilot with mandy moore and majandra delfino?

Comment by ashley – May 11, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what about Malibu Country? It was rumored to have been picked up

Comment by Thilia – May 11, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And JONATHAN JACKSON! Perfect birthday present for him.

Comment by Nancy – May 11, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is The Neighbours, Comeback Jack & Red Window. What about Devious Maids?

Comment by John Walter Seip – May 11, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Neighbours – some alien comedy by Dan Fogelman
      Comeback Jack – prev Red Man Van
      Red Widow – prev Penoza (a soap)

Comment by B – May 11, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope to god they didn’t pick up Devious Maids. Marc Cherry can do better than create the same show twice.

Comment by Mitholas – May 12, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Devious Maids is a no go but I am rather sad. There was something campy, fun and escapism about DM instead we get more Vanessa Williams – why does ABC have such a love for her – she isn`t that great of an actress or special or anything.

Comment by Tristan – May 16, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB has been cancelled now I hear

Comment by Martina – May 11, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes it has

Comment by John Walter Seip – May 11, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tell me more about Nashville, showrunners, is it about country music?? is it just like Glee or Smash but for country lovers??

Comment by Fernanda – May 11, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A family soap set against the backdrop of the Nashville music scene that follows one star at her peak and one on the rise.

Comment by findlay thompson (@Humbugged) – May 11, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sounds a bit like Country Strong but if it’s anywhere near as good as Friday Night Lights, count me in.

Comment by TheBeach – May 12, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • all of them sound lame Please pick up 666 & Devouis Maids. Also season 3 of Body of Proof.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 11, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “all of them sound lame Please pick up Park Avenue 666 & Devious Maids.”
      I agree.

Comment by S – May 11, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TVBN reporting PA 666 has been picked up

Comment by Martina – May 11, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort?

Comment by Ryan – May 11, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, was hoping Portia De Rossi’s show would get picked up. I’m going through withdrawal since Better Off Ted got cancelled.

Comment by Jeff – May 11, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was hoping it would be picked up too. Portia de Rossi is hilarious, and I think this would be her first lead role.

Comment by JK – May 11, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I SO miss Better Off Ted! The show was hysterical and she was wicked funny…

Comment by Irene Beth Shafer – May 11, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! So happy for Nashville!! Love, love, love Connie Britton!! And Eric Close – swoon!!!!!

Comment by Gretta – May 11, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news on Last Resort or 666 Park Avenue?

Comment by Daniel – May 11, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to deadline 666 Park was picked up

Comment by Brooke – May 11, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shawn Ryan just retweeted someone from Variety saying Last Resort was picked up.

Comment by Jacob – May 11, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was looking forward to Gilded Lily’s too sounded really good.

Comment by Patricia – May 11, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Family Tools formerly Family Trap?

Comment by Nancy – May 11, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nevermind…formerly Red Van Man.

Comment by Nancy – May 11, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about 666? best cast of all the pilots

Comment by rob – May 11, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these can be as good as Body of Proof

Comment by Boiler – May 11, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brad Garrett and Leah Remini back on tv. Just what we need. Only thing missing now is a return from Alf for fudge’s sake!

Comment by Rocky – May 11, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news on Kari Lizer’s show The Unprofessional?

Comment by Kristin – May 11, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Gilded Lilly’s? I need my Captain Jack back on tv! Maybe this means another season of Torchwood?

Comment by Meg – May 11, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And possibly the best part of Nashville…Jonathan Jackson. :-)

Comment by Renee – May 11, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dump Nashville bring back GCB

Comment by Kirk Sansom – May 11, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC made some weird picks up on the comedy side this years. All of them sounds horrible and after the success of Wednesday i thought ABC would pick some better comedy pilots

And seriously why does Kyle Bornheimer keep getting pilots? He has been in one every year and none make it past the first season

Comment by ggny – May 11, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VERY excited to see Shawn Ryan’s Last Resort! A great cast (listed) that also includes the amazing Max Adler (who was not listed in the article, but should have been…)…

Comment by Irene Beth Shafer – May 11, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they going to film Last Resort in Hawaii ?

Comment by Rocky – May 11, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the Beauty and the Beast show? Is that dead?

Comment by AT – May 11, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beauty and the Beast was picked up by The CW Network.

Comment by WayneInNYC – May 11, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s talking about the ABC Beauty and the Beast. There are two different pilots.

Comment by Autumn – May 11, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im shocked that Americana didnt get a pickup

Comment by ggny – May 11, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dramas sound pretty great, especially 666, Last Resort, Zero Hour and Nashville. Comedies all sound horrible though. What about American Judy and The Smart One? Multi cam comedy starring Sarah Chalke over some of the other ones they passed on? Strange.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 11, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Last Resort

Comment by This – May 11, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, premise seems interesting and different.

Comment by Symce – May 11, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 Park Avenue sounds awesome.looking forward to that.great cast

Comment by Warren – May 11, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How to Live with your Parents is a single-camera comedy, not multi-cam. At least according to Hollywood Reporter.

Comment by Superhero – May 11, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Networks really have to get the message: STOP MAKING REMAKES OF BRITISH COMEDIES AFTER ONLY ONE OR TWO BRITISH SEASON! They should wait for at least 3 or 4 years after the first season airs in the UK, which gives them time to realise whether it’ll be a flop (Sirens – where the remake was announced before the UK pilot was even shown) or whether it’ll be great (Shameless – where the remake was announced after 8 seasons). There might be a few exceptions (Skins etc.) but they really need to stop remaking every single BBC Three comedy.
    Family Tools (A remake of the BBC’s ‘White Van Man’) is a remake of a show that’s only been on since 2011 and I really don’t think it’ll translate well to American TV. The only thing that made it funny in the first place was the lead actor.

Comment by liddad – May 11, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the thought of Hayden Panettiere on last resort but hate how Dichen WhateverHerLastNameIs is in Last Resort. Couldn’t get into Dollhouse because of her and hate how WHedon included her in the Buffy comics.

Comment by Carmichael – May 11, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hayden is supposed to be on ‘Nashville’.

Comment by Babygate – May 11, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Er yeah taht’s what I meant I don’t know why I said Last Resort

Comment by Carmichael – May 12, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How exactly do you include an actress in a comic book?

Comment by Mitholas – May 12, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • By using her likeness for one of the characters.

Comment by Carmichael – May 12, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be more than disappointed if Americana doesn’t get pick up as a series for ABC.

Comment by bad kevin – May 11, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Americana?

Comment by K – May 11, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Last Resort. Looks like the only one on there I’ll be watching. I would follow Scott Speedman anywhere, and I like the rest of the cast too.

Comment by Lauren – May 11, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC I’m happy with your network this year…Thank you! Yay! for Nashville getting picked up. I’m excited!

Comment by Robin – May 11, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for Devious Maids, it sounded fun. I’m kind of glad Gilded Lilies didn’t get picked up. The concept was just too unmarketable, in my opinion. It would have been another disaster a la Off the Map.

Comment by Babygate – May 11, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stop giving Kyle Bornheimer work! Clearly America does not like him. He and Andrea Anders will never have a successful show.

Comment by Mark – May 11, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course “GCB” was done for – it was from Darren Star. And yay for Hayden Panettiere back on TV!

Comment by Victor Field – May 11, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am gonna watch Nashville, because I am gonna follow Mrs Coach everywhere!

Comment by S. from A. – May 12, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • J.K and Lee back on TV awesome! loved them on OZ together! lol. But is Lee the star or what? I love Scott so I’ll def check out Last Resort and I love the cast for 66.6 and I love JJ for Nashville :)

Comment by Samantha – May 12, 2012 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish I had a crystal ball so I would know which of the new series not to invest my time in and then have them get cancelled. 666 sounds like it’s jumping on the AHS bandwagon….unfortunately, it’s on network and not cable so it won’t reach that level of crazy. Can you imagine if Breaking Bad had been a network show? Yikes!

Comment by TheBeach – May 12, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I reallty can’t believe they are canelling “Missing & GCB”. I really liked those shows. they seem always cancel great shows. I will never know what happens to Micheal in Missing!

Comment by Tracy – May 12, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so bummed that we are losing three great shows, GCB, Pan Am and Missing.

Comment by Alissa – May 13, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Nashville! I played an associate of one of the main characters (Powers Booth) and so I am very happy it made it!

Comment by ricktucker2010 – May 14, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rumour has it Devious Maids is being considered on Lifetime; I hope it is a go but I am doubtful. It is an expensive cast and set I think. Does anyone have an update. I think if they had tinkered with the concept – use various different ethnic maids rather than just Latino the market would open up. Plus they have Grant show and Susan Lucci – rumour has it Lucci was hillarious in the pilot and Ortiz was awesome too.

Comment by Tristan – June 4, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post