Fall TV: ABC Picks Up Connie Britton's Nashville, Sarah Chalke's Parents Plus 6 Others

Connie Britton NashvilleComing this fall on ABC: Connie Britton!

The Alphabet net has given the green light to eight new shows, including the Britton-fronted musical soap Nashville. Also receiving series orders are dramas Zero Hour and Red Widow, the Shawn Ryan submarine thriller Last Resort, supernatural spooker 666 Park Avenue, and comedies The Neighbors, Family Tools and Sarah Chalke-starrer How to Live With Your Parents For the Rest of Your Life.

RELATED | ABC Renews Scandal, Happy Endings, Grey’s Anatomy and More!

Here are the show descriptions:

* The Neighbors revolves around a family (which includes Jamie Gertz) who moves to an upscale New Jersey ‘burb and discovers the folks next door are actually extraterrestrials.

* Family Tools (formerly Red Van Man) is a single-camera comedy that follows a blue collar guy (Kyle Bornheimer) who puts his dreams on hold in order to take over the family handyman business from his dad (J.K. Simmons).

* Nashville is a twang-tinged family soap that revolves around one country music star at her peak (Britton) and another on the rise (Hayden Panettiere).

* Red Widow (formerly Penoza) centers on the widow of an assassinated criminal who is forced to adopt her husband’s role in a crime syndicate in order to protect her family. Lee Tergesen (Oz) is set to co-star.

* Zero Hour is a thriller about a magazine editor (Anthony Edwards) who becomes involved in one the most compelling conspiracies in human history when his wife is kidnapped.

* How to Live With Your Parents For the Rest of Your Life is a multi-cam comedy about Polly (Sarah Chalke), a recently divorced single mom who moves back in with her eccentric parents, Elaine (Elizabeth Perkins) and cancer survivor Max (Brad Garrett), a couple who’s full of life but knows no boundaries.

* 666 Park Avenue — from Fringe co-executive producer David Wilcox — centers on a couple (Dave Annable and Rachael Taylor) who agree to manage an historic (and supernaturally-charged) New York City apartment complex owned by another couple (Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams).

* Last Resort is a thriller set in the near future when the country is very fractured and revolves around the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become hunted fugitives after ignoring an order to fire nuclear missiles. Cast includes Andre Braugher, Autumn Reeser, Scott Speedman, Dichen Lachman and Bruce Davison.

1. Martina says:

any news on whether Gilded Lily’s has been picked up, I’ve been looking forward to watching this since I read about it in your pilot season FAQ

2. ashley says:

which is the pilot with mandy moore and majandra delfino?

3. Thilia says:

So what about Malibu Country? It was rumored to have been picked up

4. Nancy says:

And JONATHAN JACKSON! Perfect birthday present for him.

5. John Walter Seip says:

What is The Neighbours, Comeback Jack & Red Window. What about Devious Maids?

• B says:

The Neighbours – some alien comedy by Dan Fogelman
      Comeback Jack – prev Red Man Van
      Red Widow – prev Penoza (a soap)

• Mitholas says:

I hope to god they didn’t pick up Devious Maids. Marc Cherry can do better than create the same show twice.

• Tristan says:

Devious Maids is a no go but I am rather sad. There was something campy, fun and escapism about DM instead we get more Vanessa Williams – why does ABC have such a love for her – she isn`t that great of an actress or special or anything.

6. Martina says:

GCB has been cancelled now I hear

7. John Walter Seip says:

Yes it has

8. Fernanda says:

Tell me more about Nashville, showrunners, is it about country music?? is it just like Glee or Smash but for country lovers??

9. all of them sound lame Please pick up 666 & Devouis Maids. Also season 3 of Body of Proof.

10. Ryan says:

Last Resort?

11. Jeff says:

Damn, was hoping Portia De Rossi’s show would get picked up. I’m going through withdrawal since Better Off Ted got cancelled.

12. Gretta says:

Yay!! So happy for Nashville!! Love, love, love Connie Britton!! And Eric Close – swoon!!!!!

13. Daniel says:

Any news on Last Resort or 666 Park Avenue?

14. Patricia says:

I was looking forward to Gilded Lily’s too sounded really good.

15. Nancy says:

Family Tools formerly Family Trap?

16. rob says:

what about 666? best cast of all the pilots

17. Boiler says:

None of these can be as good as Body of Proof

18. Rocky says:

Brad Garrett and Leah Remini back on tv. Just what we need. Only thing missing now is a return from Alf for fudge’s sake!

19. Kristin says:

Any news on Kari Lizer’s show The Unprofessional?

20. Meg says:

No Gilded Lilly’s? I need my Captain Jack back on tv! Maybe this means another season of Torchwood?

21. Renee says:

And possibly the best part of Nashville…Jonathan Jackson. :-)

22. Kirk Sansom says:

Dump Nashville bring back GCB

23. ggny says:

ABC made some weird picks up on the comedy side this years. All of them sounds horrible and after the success of Wednesday i thought ABC would pick some better comedy pilots

And seriously why does Kyle Bornheimer keep getting pilots? He has been in one every year and none make it past the first season

24. VERY excited to see Shawn Ryan’s Last Resort! A great cast (listed) that also includes the amazing Max Adler (who was not listed in the article, but should have been…)…

25. Rocky says:

Are they going to film Last Resort in Hawaii ?

26. AT says:

What about the Beauty and the Beast show? Is that dead?

27. ggny says:

im shocked that Americana didnt get a pickup

28. YowzaPowza says:

Dramas sound pretty great, especially 666, Last Resort, Zero Hour and Nashville. Comedies all sound horrible though. What about American Judy and The Smart One? Multi cam comedy starring Sarah Chalke over some of the other ones they passed on? Strange.

29. This says:

Looking forward to Last Resort

30. Warren says:

666 Park Avenue sounds awesome.looking forward to that.great cast

31. Superhero says:

How to Live with your Parents is a single-camera comedy, not multi-cam. At least according to Hollywood Reporter.

32. liddad says:

Networks really have to get the message: STOP MAKING REMAKES OF BRITISH COMEDIES AFTER ONLY ONE OR TWO BRITISH SEASON! They should wait for at least 3 or 4 years after the first season airs in the UK, which gives them time to realise whether it’ll be a flop (Sirens – where the remake was announced before the UK pilot was even shown) or whether it’ll be great (Shameless – where the remake was announced after 8 seasons). There might be a few exceptions (Skins etc.) but they really need to stop remaking every single BBC Three comedy.
    Family Tools (A remake of the BBC’s ‘White Van Man’) is a remake of a show that’s only been on since 2011 and I really don’t think it’ll translate well to American TV. The only thing that made it funny in the first place was the lead actor.

33. Carmichael says:

I love the thought of Hayden Panettiere on last resort but hate how Dichen WhateverHerLastNameIs is in Last Resort. Couldn’t get into Dollhouse because of her and hate how WHedon included her in the Buffy comics.

34. bad kevin says:

I’ll be more than disappointed if Americana doesn’t get pick up as a series for ABC.

35. K says:

Americana?

36. Lauren says:

Yay Last Resort. Looks like the only one on there I’ll be watching. I would follow Scott Speedman anywhere, and I like the rest of the cast too.

37. Robin says:

ABC I’m happy with your network this year…Thank you! Yay! for Nashville getting picked up. I’m excited!

38. Babygate says:

Too bad for Devious Maids, it sounded fun. I’m kind of glad Gilded Lilies didn’t get picked up. The concept was just too unmarketable, in my opinion. It would have been another disaster a la Off the Map.

39. Mark says:

Stop giving Kyle Bornheimer work! Clearly America does not like him. He and Andrea Anders will never have a successful show.

40. Victor Field says:

Of course “GCB” was done for – it was from Darren Star. And yay for Hayden Panettiere back on TV!

41. S. from A. says:

I am gonna watch Nashville, because I am gonna follow Mrs Coach everywhere!

42. Samantha says:

J.K and Lee back on TV awesome! loved them on OZ together! lol. But is Lee the star or what? I love Scott so I’ll def check out Last Resort and I love the cast for 66.6 and I love JJ for Nashville :)

43. TheBeach says:

I just wish I had a crystal ball so I would know which of the new series not to invest my time in and then have them get cancelled. 666 sounds like it’s jumping on the AHS bandwagon….unfortunately, it’s on network and not cable so it won’t reach that level of crazy. Can you imagine if Breaking Bad had been a network show? Yikes!

44. Tracy says:

I reallty can’t believe they are canelling “Missing & GCB”. I really liked those shows. they seem always cancel great shows. I will never know what happens to Micheal in Missing!

45. Alissa says:

I am so bummed that we are losing three great shows, GCB, Pan Am and Missing.

46. Yay for Nashville! I played an associate of one of the main characters (Powers Booth) and so I am very happy it made it!

47. Tristan says:

Rumour has it Devious Maids is being considered on Lifetime; I hope it is a go but I am doubtful. It is an expensive cast and set I think. Does anyone have an update. I think if they had tinkered with the concept – use various different ethnic maids rather than just Latino the market would open up. Plus they have Grant show and Susan Lucci – rumour has it Lucci was hillarious in the pilot and Ortiz was awesome too.