Fall TV: ABC Renews Last Man Standing, Picks Up Reba McEntire's Malibu Country Sitcom

ABC capped a very busy Friday evening full of renewals, cancellations and pickups by granting Last Man Standing a Season 2 and granting a series order to Malibu Country, a sitcom fronted by country music vet/sometime TV star Reba McEntire.

Malibu Country revolves around a recent divorcée (played by McEntire) who moves her kids and mom (Lily Tomlin) from Nashville to Malibu, where she tries to reignite her singing career while keeping herself and her family kids from being corrupted by their materialistic new environs.

Sara Rue (Less Than Perfect) also co-stars.

With Last Man Standing‘s renewal, ABC has no more shows left on the bubble. On the comedy front, Apartment 23, Happy Endings, The Middle, Modern Family and Suburgatory all have also been renewed.

1. Amy says:

Happy to hear that Reba is coming back to tv.

2. TV Gord says:

I can’t imagine Last Man Standing won’t be picked up, as awful as I think it is.

3. Lorie says:

I’ll definitely check out Reba’s new show.

4. Leah says:

Sounds like Last Man Standing would be a good pair for this.

5. Lambsilencer says:

It looks like it’s just a matter of closing the deals before the renewal of “Last Man Standing” can be announced. They’re finalized at the moment.

6. Scott says:

Hell yeah, thats awesome Malibu Country got picked up. It’ll be a great addition to the ABC comedy line up. How cool to have Reba Queen of Country back on tv.

7. Sherry says:

Last Man Standing is hilarious! Love Tim Allen and all his co-STARS!! Please renew it, ABC.

8. Lambsilencer says:

The deal is done. “Last Man Standing” is renewed.

9. Sam says:

I’m sorry but Last Man Standing but no GCB? I just…I just don’t understand.

10. MichaelS says:

YES! ABC made a good decision by picking up the Reba sitcom Malibu Country. Pair it with Tim Allen on Tuesday nights, and you have a good schedule. You know Reba’s show will get a ton of viewers…the drawing power is evident with the Reba repeats and that recent episode of Who Do You Think You Are. PO’d at ABC though for cancelling GCB.

11. Selek says:

So, basically it’s Home Improvement II: The Same, but Not the Same teamed with Reba 2: Electric Nashville Boogaloo. I don’t understand why they just don’t call them reboots. They’re certainly nothing “new” here.

• Drew says:

Aside from being a man themed family sitcom, Last Man Standing doesn’t have much in common with Home Improvement. It is more social commentary than Home Improvement was. The relationship between the husband and wife is very different, as Jill Taylor was the typical smart empowered sitcom wife to Tim’s somewhat stupid husband figure. Last Man Standing has two intelligent adults who are on even footing. Tim Allen’s character isn’t depending on smarter people to teach him a lesson each week. He has more of his own opinions.

The outdoor theme isn’t the same as the home improvement theme. The dynamic of having three daughters and a grandson changes to storytelling considerably.

I see similarities between the shows, but saying they’re the same thing is not accurate.

• Selek says:

Well, to me, the “similarities” are too much the same. Instead of smart-mouth preteen boys, he’s got smart-mouth young adult girls. I could go on, but I’ve been told enough today I have issues with multi-camera shows. I just don’t think there funny, as compared to the single camera ones. Weird though.

• ben says:

The number of cameras doesn’t have much impact on the quality of the writing in my view. There are good multi-camera shows, and crap single-camera shows. I think comparisons between Tim’s two shows are fair, but its for a different era, and I quite like it.

• Rolfe says:

Regarding Reba, I don’t need anything new. I would have loved to see that show go on for a few more years.

12. Mark says:

I’m confused. How is Sara Rue expected to do double duty? It was just reported the other day that she would be int he picked up Guys with Kids? And now she is supposed to be in this show as well? Seems unrealistic especially since both these shows are on different networks. Which one gets priority?

13. Andy J says:

I suggest TPTB cast Skylar Laine as Reba’s daughter.

14. Aidan Williams says:

Yeah i agree it is nice to see Reba back on tv and i cant wait to see her new show and i’m also glad that Last Man Standing has been renewed.

15. Yes! LMS renewed. Glad that they did not cancel it!

16. Kyle says:

Last man is awesome, it reminds of old school sitcoms in the 90’s!!

17. Craig S. says:

Considering the overly adult-themed sitcoms that make it, I’m pleased to see Last Man Standing getting renewed. Now it they’d just resurrect Men of a Certain Age I’d be happy.
    It’s amazing what crap becomes popular. America’s taste is waning…

18. Lee says:

i saw the clip of Malibu Country and thought it was very funny. Loved Reba and Lily.
    Cute boy with Reba’s daughter. Looking forward to the show.

19. joann t says:

When does Reba McEntire new tv show start ?

20. Loretta Bennett says:

I loved Reba’s old show. She is very funny. I’m glad to see her back. TV has a lot of shows that are really bad.

21. Rd says:

I love Tim Allen……. My son loves Reba. So it looks like some more family time. Love it

22. Mary says:

I love both these shows and I’m so glad they are coming back!