Gossip Girl Renewed For Shortened Final Season, Sara Goodman to Succeed Josh Safran as EP

Gossip Girl RenewedSpotted: The finish line.

The CW has renewed Gossip Girl for a sixth and final season of 11 episodes, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Gossip Girl Season Finale First Look — Blair Chooses… [Spoiler]

What’s more, showrunner Stephanie Savage — who developed the show with Josh Schwartz — has promoted Co-EP Sara Goodman to exec producer, replacing Smash-bound Josh Safran.

Gossip Girl joins fellow returning CW dramas Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, The Vampire Diaries, 90210 and Nikita.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. Isa says:

And yet SMASH gets a second season – it’s TERRIBLE!!!

• Katerina says:

some people actually find it entertaining.

• Beth says:

Isn’t Smash the highest rated drama on NBC, tho.

• Smash is way better than Gossip Girl.

• nayelicarr says:

Though I will agree this season has been hard toi watch because of all the dumb stuff between chair like really wtf, dan..really his character is so dumb I’m actually beginning to hate penn…he’s so clingy to blair…damn she didn’t want to go to europe you can’t even believe the chemistry between them and serena and nate have been brushed aside when they are clearly hotter than dan, give them something and honestly the only reason this show has a sixth season is because that was the plan all along, the chair shippers have kept it alive and we can make it the worst show ever if blair chooses dan, I’m sure if blair chooses him chair fans will stop watching it, if they kill of chuck, SO many girls would stop watching so whoever said to kill him, you don’t know what you’re talking about! God some of the ppl that show up on forums really don’t seem like they watch the show, there’s dynamics and you can’t ruin that or you’re screwed, I didn’t see this show get so much popularity and hate until they broke chair up so clearly were more than the little dair fans.

• blahblah says:

Yeah if Chuck and Blair don’t choose each other or god forbid they KILL him off, or even TRY, i will be seriously mad. I mean, gun shot, car crash, whats next?

• I.C. says:

Smash is freaking AWESOME.

• jenna says:

…how is this a relevant comparison, different networks, different premise, different demographic

• Rolfe says:

I completely agree. And Smash only got a 15 episode order. Four more than Gossip Girl. I don’t see how Smash is relevant to a CW show.

• haley says:

SMASH is way better than gossip girl

• confused says:

What does your comment have to do with Gossip Girl getting renewed (“And yet SMASH gets a second season”)? SMASH got renewed for another season. Gossip Girl also got renewed for another season.

• samantha says:

don’t worry Josh Safran will ruin that show too.

2. Martina says:

glad it’s coming back, sad that it ill be the end though

3. JD says:

Not surprised even with low ratings!

4. Emily says:

I am glad it’s coming back, so we can see Chuck and Blair as a couple and see Serena and Blair as friends again. Glad it’s ending, though.

5. katherine says:

I’m glad it got a final season, short-episode order. This should be a satisfying way to wrap things up. And Sara Goodman is a pretty good writer, so that’s good news. Now they just need to repair the Serena/Blair friendship once and for all, give Nate something interesting to do, bring back Jenny and Eric for an episode or two, and make Dan/Blair and Serena/Nate end up together!!

• Beth says:

Aw, I’d love a Dan/Blair or Serena/Nate ending. Or an everyone alone ending, lol.

• JBS says:

I fully agree 100%.
        Any ending and I mean ANY ENDING (including a Chuck-Dan gay relationship) would be better then the boring, predictable, abusive ending of Chuck/Blair together and Blair/Serena as friends.

6. JC says:

So now they have 13 shows for 10 hours of programming. Which other shows are getting a reduced order or are being held for mid season?

• Barrett says:

Some of them are likely mid-season replacements.

• JC says:

No they have 11 shows GG,TVD,HOD,Nikita,Supernatural,90210,The Carrie Diaries,Cult,Arrow,First Cut & Beauty and the beast. They have 10 hours of programming which means 10 shows. Since they have 11 shows they have to cancel Ringer & TSC, OTH is done LA Complex is sure to be cancelled that leaves 4 spots open for new shows the fifth spot will be given after Gossip Girl finish its 11 episode final season or the new show might be shown first before GG’s final season which might air in midseason :)

• Aerilyn says:

Don’t forget America’s Next Top Model, they renewed that for another cycle earlier this year.

Sigh. I’m going to really miss The Secret Circle ):

• JC says:

Yeah so maybe 2 new series are going to premiere midseason depends on how fast one of the new shows get cancelled or if gossip girl premieres midseason :)

• Fabe says:

The CW is also re-developing The Selection and two comedies for mid-season or next summer.

7. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

It really is the right time to bring this show to a close. May the last ten episodes be amazing (and a Chuck and Blair wedding, please!)

8. Beth says:

I hope 10 episodes is enough to salvage Serena and Blair’s friendship. If Blair ends up with someone, I think it should definitely be Dan as proven by this last run of episodes, but who knows what crazy thing will happen between Chuck and Blair in the finale. Hopefully they decide to let each other go.

• Ari says:

Dan is a judgmental jerk who doesn’t trust Blair and can’t figure out how to go to a barber. He’s a real prize. I’d rather Blair be alone than with Dan.

• Beth says:

Dan is judgmental, but Blair brings out the best in him. He hasn’t judged her, look how understanding he has been with her when she ruined his acceptance speech for example. But I’d be happy with Blair ending alone too, that would be a good end for her character arc. I just don’t want her to end up with Chuck.

• Sarah says:

wow blair is way more judgemental than dan.

9. Chalice93 says:

Just give us Derenna as endgame please, we have been waiting since the end of season 1

10. aidagda says:

It deserves a good ending

11. Alex says:

This is for the best. Glad it’s coming back to tie up everything.. I hope it’s better than the last couple of seasons have been.

12. Sarah says:

Well, after this terrible season, I’m not surprised. They brought it. Should be more aware of what they write and that makes sense. And of course, ensure that plots are not boring. I watch Gossip girl during these five seasons and I will not give up now. The only thing I wish is that Chuck and Blair are together forever, so I hope they get back together in episode 5×24. And they fix the friendship between Serena and Blair, I want more scenes of them together in this last season!!.

13. ggny says:

gonna be weird not having Gossip Girl around but its time for it to go

14. Gossip Girl was only good for the first 2 seasons after that the show sank.

15. Will says:

Hopefully they’ll be able to bring back Jenny and Vanessa to get closure. Regardless of what anyone says, I actually miss their characters a lot on the show.

• Is says:

Me too. And personally I think that shows, in their final seasons should always go back to the beginning, bringing back storylines, characters etc. Gossip Girl seems to be doing just that, storywise. Let’s hope they do bring back Jenny and (even though I don’t care) Vanessa.
      I hope that 11 episodes is enough for a satisfying ending.

• Beth says:

Yes!! I really really really want to see Jenny back before the finale episode!

16. Taryn says:

I have to say Gossip Girl is my guilty pleasure when It comes to the entertaining yet slightly trashy genre of tv that you want to just curl up and watch after a long day Gossip Girl is the Queen of it’s kind with a strong cast of actors that manages to make even at times poor writing decisions work as best as they possibly could I’ll miss seeing the cast of characters and actors themselves on my tv each week but I’m sure they are ready to move on at this point but please for the love of god but blair and chuck together before it ends blair and dan are nauseating

17. Taryn says:

I agree about with Will about Jenny and Vanessa they brought something more grounded to the show as they were the non rich routed girls of the cast I hope they bring them back as well I’ve definetely missed them

• Ari says:

Vanessa and Jenny were two of the worst characters ever created for television. Actually the entire Brooklyn branch of Gossip Girl is terrible. Rufus as their ringleader what can you expect?

• Sarah says:

me too i miss them. in my opinion the brooklyn characters were the best

18. kay says:

Interesting, shortened season is definitely better. Hopefully tie up loose ends and improve the writing if it’s less episodes! and enough time to make Dan and Blair unite ;)

19. Melly says:

I think 10 episodes is probably enough to fix the damage of this season. It is sad because GG seemed a lock for a final full season 6 at the end of last season. Disappointed that the egos of the people involved killed the show. The season of Dan was a huge mistake. Perhaps they will use the final 10-11 to refocus on CB, SB and the NJBC.

20. Brad says:

I’m crossing my fingers that they get rid of Ivy for the series final season since it’s clear that she doesn’t fit into the show. I also think it’s time to make Michelle Trachtenberg a regular on Gossip Girl.

21. Willa says:

I like that they put a picture of what killed Gossip Girl and got it only 11 episodes. Hopefully they end the travesty of Db and Fix what we care about – Chuck and Blair and Blair and Serena

• JBS says:

Except not all fans of GG care about Chuck, Blair, and Serena. Quite frankly, I’d be happier if they all died at some point next season (due to Chuck’s abuse of women of course) and Dan gets to FINALLY live in peace and harmony with the world.

• Sarah says:

ugh i hate chuck and blair together. and i never cared whether serena and blair were friends or not it didn’t make the show any less good if they weren’t

22. Deeds says:

All I care about is chuck and Blair being together. If that’s out then the last 5 years of my fandom have been for nothing.

23. Sally says:

Can’t believe it’s ending… That means there are only 11/12 episodes left now… But in a way I do think it’s time, One Tree Hill lost it’s way after the sixth season, but then had an amazing final season so… Hopefully they will make the last 10/11 episodes of Gossip Girl worth watching. :)

24. Jessica says:

Im actually glad. This season watching Gossip Girl has been more of a chore than something I looked forward to. Im happy they will get enough time to wrap everything up though.

25. Sam says:

I sincerely hope Jenny and Vanessa do not return. The best thing GG did was get rid of them.

• Maria says:

I disagree. I’d rather Jenny and Vanessa return as opposed to having Ivy for another year. Ivy’s storyline was incredibly forced and ridiculous. Like Brad said, she has no place on GG anymore.

26. Jeff says:

I hope the kill off Chuck in the first episode so all the annoying CB shippers can just go away.

• Anon says:

Love the bitter dair stans! Grow up. ;D

• Lucero says:

yes, let’s kill a breakout character that regularly brings in media attention and buzz. that kind of thinking (let’s breakup C&B, let’s ruin S&B by having them fight over a boy) is why GG is only getting 11 episodes. The CW had the stars under contract for a full sixth season. can you imagine how little value the show has now if they were willing to sacrifice keeping Blake Lively under contract? C&B have brought in the most buzz (hello HW opening) for the show. have you ever seen Penn Badgley at the Met Gala? At NYFW? No, and that’s because he’s never been a breakout star. the focus on Dan Humphrey and the forced romance with Blair this season killed the reputation of this show.

• Sarah says:

completely disagree. i never saw any chemistry between chick and blair and i always felt they were forced. and i personally think if they never introduced chair the show would be doing a lot better right now. yes, right now most fans like chair but i feel like back in like season 3 by focusing too much on chair they alienated many fans who liked the show for other reasons. just looks at seasons 1 and 2 compared to 3 and 4 as the show went on it got more and more focused on chair and while most current fans of the show like chair, i think it ruined the show and ruined its potential to do better in the ratings than it has. let’s face it, most gg fans love chair, but gg doesn’t have many fans do begin with. and i think chair is to blame (well among other things bad writing being one)

• JBS says:

Finally, a sane GG fan. I like the way you think
      They could kill him on Monday’s season finale as well so that way, season 6 will be Chuck and (more importantly) Chair-shipper free.

27. chair ftw says:

10 episodes of epicness – 10 episodes of chair!
    Let’s start a global grassroots campaign to convince Sara Goodman she must focus this final season exclusively on chair if she wants to have her name epically glorified in television history!
    Then, and only then, fellow chairettes, shall we have moments of light in our bleak, poverty-ridden, socially awkward, miserable future! When we switch off reality and watch ourselves as Blair Waldorf, married to Chuck Bass, in the midst of UES extravagance, oh, what a life it would be!
    So many many mediocre, unattractive, financially and socially challenged girls and women need chair just as much as they need air to breathe and live! Give us chair, Sara Goodman!

28. willa says:

this show gets like lower than a million viewers and its still renewed? just cancel it already? gossip girl is just awful to watch now

• Alex says:

True, but I’d rather have a shortened season so it can finish properly. As bad as the show is now, I would have hated for it to end on a cliffhanger/storylines unresolved.

• Sarah says:

i know seasons 1 and 2 were great and then it started going downhill

29. Alo says:

Chuck & Blair Season 6! Jenny and Vanessa can stay AWAY. I couldn’t stand either one of them. Blair and Serena NEED to be friends again. That’s all.

30. Patricia says:

I’m glad it’s ending that way I can finally stop watching. I loved the show but it’s always the same everybody hooks up with each other and the relationships only last for 2 episodes the most before someone gets back stabbed. I haven’t seen the last 3 episodes but I read that Dan and Blair were having problems… I like them together but she should end up with Chuck. I’m sure they are going to break up and back stab each other until the very last episode.

31. kayla says:

the end pairing should be chuck +blair. nate + serena . dan + vanessa (just so that dan doesnt get left out) i really want nate and serena get back together..i really dont like serena’s half sister/cousin with him :/

32. Chris says:

Chuck and Blair Wedding for S6!! I’m glad for the short order. Fix the friendship between Serena and Blair, show some happy Chair, and I wouldnt mind some Serenate. Im sad to see it go but its time, I’m just glad Safran wont be a part of it!

33. Tommy says:

My favorite thing is that everyone is writing 10 episodes when it clearly says 11…

• Mohammad says:

Because the post said “10 or 11 episodes” originally, and was edited after to confirm it was 11.

34. tvaddict says:

GG gets renewed, CW order beauty and the beast & Carrie Diaries and yet Secret Circle gets cancelled. This is not ok

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I’d wager that TSC, along with RInger, were close to the two best things on the CW in the last few months, certainly since the winter break.

35. Very happy to see Hart Of Dixie return. Total guilty pleasure show and just starting to get it’s legs.

36. Olivia says:

11? It’s been diferent from the begining thus the lower ratings, but you cannot expect to have 22 years old behave like they are still in high school.
    I’ve learned to keep an open mind to the changes that may happen into a show, but 11 episodes is a joke

37. Felicity says:

chuck & blair, nate & jenny, serena & dan

38. Anon says:

Serena deserves better than Muppet. He clearly doesn’t care about her at all.

39. ChrisGa says:

Meh…..not surprised but saddened when creatively superior shows like Ringer and The Secret Circle get the shaft over this heaping pile of dung. Maybe with a shortened season the actors will actually invest themselves into their work rather than sleepwalk through it the way Blake Lively and Penn Badgley have done for the last 2 or 3 seasons; Leighton Meester still shows up every week and saying Chace Crawford sleepwalks would insinuate that he’s something more than just a pretty face(I think we all know better).

40. Nira says:

More Dan and Blair

41. Carla says:

Blair and Dan need to end up together

42. Lola says:

Chuck and Blair since the BEGINNING. They are inevitable.

43. charissa29 says:

Since it is absolutely impossible for Sara to do a worse job than Safran, unless she shares his apparent contempt for the GG audience and characters, I am cautiously looking forward to next year’s GG. Plus, I may end up sitting Shiva for Smash.

44. Crystal says:

Hope that Chuck and Blair end up together in season 6.

45. Louise says:

Happy that it’s coming back, good decision to make season 6 the final one.

46. b says:

omg, for all we know, it might get a higher episode order, either by next thursday or as the season airs, like season 7 of OTH did, then they might renew it for a 7th season. Not everything is written in stone.

47. davidsask says:

Secret Circle was great and ended as such, I wish it could be brought to another network, ABC Family?!

48. christine says:

thank you for using a dair picture you beautiful man!!

49. Mick says:

TSC was a show with some potential that was cast horribly. Thomas Dekker and Shelley Henning weren’t radiating chemistry nor was him and Britt Robertson. The writing was also very weak, it got stronger towards the end but the show failed to live up to its potential. Add to that it wasn’t doing better than HOD when HOD had a lead in that was generating 1/3 of the audience that TVD has and it was bound to die.

50. roXie says:

11 episodes is a good thing, let’s get rid of FILLER episodes! FIX Blair and Serena, EXPLORE Blair and Chuck as a happy COUPLE, Nate needs to be with Serena! Dan can go to Europe with Vanessa, his alter ego. DONE! ;)