Gary Sinise: CSI: NY's Uncertain Fate Led to 'A Lot of Emotion' In 'Very Reflective' Finale

Tonight at 9/8c, CBS’ CSI: NY presents its season finale, in which a shooting leaves Mac hovering between life and death, precipitating a visit from his late wife, Claire. Meanwhile, the crime drama itself finds itself hoping to cheat death by earning the Season 9 renewal that thus far has eluded it. TVLine spoke with series lead Gary Sinise about the “very reflective” hour, why the show’s uncertain fate made it extra-emotional, and his latest turn as cohost of PBS’ Memorial Day weekend concert special.

TVLINE | Obviously, putting a lead character at death’s doorstep is a familiar TV trope. What sort of story will CSI: NY be telling tonight with Mac?
This is a very reflective episode. When somebody is near death and fighting for his life, that makes a lot of people who are close to that person think a lot and think hard, and wish they had said or done certain things before it was too late. That’s a lot of what this episode is about.

TVLINE | I saw a clip with you and Jaime Ray Newman, and it’s just so powerful. It says a lot that the two of you were able to click and make your scenes resonate so strongly despite having shared little on-camera history.
Jaime Ray is just terrific — so easy to work with, and a wonderful gal. We only worked together on the season premiere and the season finale, and we just fell into it. I was surprised when I read that her character was coming back, but excited. We have two very good scenes in the finale, and it comes as easy as anything.

TVLINE | Would you go so far as to say this is the most powerful finale CSI: NY has ever done?
I would say it’s certainly one of our best season finales, because it had to occupy two spaces — a season finale and a series finale, because we don’t know if we’re coming back. There was a lot of emotion in this one because we’re just not sure if our goodbyes in the episode are real or not.

RELATED | CBS Renews 18 Total Shows, Fate of Two CSI Series Left Up In the Air

TVLINE | Turning to The National Memorial Day Concert special (airing Sunday, May 27, on PBS): You first co-hosted this event in 2005. What is the feeling you get by being there, in person at the nation’s capital, for this emotion-laden occasion?
It is fantastic. Every year, [cohost] Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds) and I kind of pinch each other, standing there on the stage and looking out at 250,000 people spread out across the lawn, with the sun going down on the Capitol. And the music being played…. It’s a fantastic way to celebrate our great military members who have fallen in combat as sacrifice for us. It’s a privilege to have been a part of it.

TVLINE | What would you say is easiest way for the average American to take a time out from their holiday BBQ or beach getaway and properly mark the day?
By attending any number of Memorial Day events that go on in the communities all across this country, on that Monday. But the Sunday night before is when we have this wonderful concert on PBS. Every year the word spreads and even more tune in, because it’s a great way to not only pay tribute to those who have fallen, but also to learn things. We always have segments that highlight different things — Vietnam veterans, or returning Iraq veterans, various causes that are going on.

TVLINE | What guests are you particularly excited to have on hand this year?
[Country music star] Trace Adkins is back, we’ve got Ellen Burstyn this year, Dennis Franz…. [The band] Daughtry is there this year…. Colin Powell will be back, Jessica Sanchez, who’s one of the finalists on American Idol…. It’s a big concert, 90 minutes of very patriotic and moving segments. This is how I celebrate Memorial weekend, with this concert and then riding in the parade in Washington, D.C. the next day.

Comments (18)

• Any chance of a Stella mention at least?? #Stillbitter

Comment by Becs – May 11, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If someone must die; I would rather it be Horatio on CSI Miami.

Comment by smidnite – May 11, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that!

Comment by Scott – May 11, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen & AMEN…get rid of Horatio!!!

Comment by Becki Williams – May 11, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope CSI NY is renewed it is the only one of the 3 that I have watched for a few years now.

Comment by sarah – May 11, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m the same way…except not exactly because I also watch CSI: Miami. I’d like both to be renewed but if I had to chose between the two I’d probably choose CSI: NY! Please please let it be renewed!!

Comment by Robin – May 11, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’ve gave up on CSI:NY a few seaons back, I have nothing but admiration for Gary Sinise’s work on behalf of the USO and hosting the annual Memorial Day concert. I’d hope they’d have people fighting to appear on this show because it means so much.

Comment by ljd213 – May 11, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • F’ him. Nobody is that clean cut. (In HW nontheless).

Comment by ................................ – May 11, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm. So there can’t be stand up exceptional human beings in the world? I do believe Gary is one of those.

Comment by Tanya (@kirads09) – May 12, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Shows are bound to fail CBS, why not keep the CSI’s on the back burner for midseason or a summer run, it’s better than total cancellation. I mean really how many “reality” shows can you shove down our throats between June and September?

Comment by Jon – May 11, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI MIami has to go. David Caruso has stood sideways long enough and can’t act his way out of a paper bag. NY has a fine group of actors and the writing is much more relevant.

Comment by Chris Powell – May 11, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree that CSI NY is superior in writing and acting. Miami will probably unfortunately get renewed due to the focus of always showing the hot young tanned beach bodies. Ugh.

It indeed WAS a very emotional (hopefully just season) finale. Glad they didn’t leave us hanging as to Mac’s condition. Very good way to play out the “could go either way”. But if CBS has a heart, it will renew CSI NY even if just for a shortened final season.

Comment by Tanya (@kirads09) – May 12, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please KEEP CSI NY!! I’ve seen every episode & many of them twice but PLEASE keep CSI NY. Each character & their corresponding actor are just perfect, especially Gary Sinise. I look so forward to watching it & I’d watch it ANY NIGHT u could chg it to, at ANY time, even the middle of the night & the show would still have as many fans!! Please take CSI Miami off if u have to take one off, but please leave this extra-fantastic show on for Season 9 & counting!! What do I have to do to help keep this show on the air for at LEAST another season?? A super fan forever!

Comment by Becki Williams – May 11, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need CSI New York, Please, we are really faithful, get rid of CSI Maiami not ours PLEASE. SUPER FAN OF THE BEST SHOW EVER…….

Comment by Patricia Coffey – October 24, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and
    in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account
    your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Comment by relevant webpage – December 22, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew CSI NY.